2 interesting OTA thoughts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

2 interesting OTA thoughts

NEPD Staff Writer: Oliver Thomas

2. Adrian Wilson’s Fit Lies Anywhere — As far as 12-year-pros are considered, former Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson looks like he’s got plenty of gasoline left in his tank. As many have divulged, Wilson’s been leading the charge at strong safety. But it’s also worth noting that, per NESN.com’s Luke Hughes, the 6’3”, 230-pound ex-Pro Bowler has even gotten looks as a sub package linebacker and middle linebacker with the first-team defense. The fact that Wilson has been setting the example isn’t surprising, yet it is interesting how he has been utilized in practice.

While he is versatile, he does appear to be the No. 1 candidate to play strong safety right now, even if that means 2012 second-round pick Tavon Wilson’s role remains the same as a “Money” defensive back in dime situations. In classic Belichick terminology, the Patriots will “do what’s best for the football team.” The younger Wilson has an opportunity to learn from the elder, and that tutelage is valuable.

3. Zach Sudfeld Standing Apart — The Patriots acquired an oft-injured tight end prospect in April, and thus far, the move is paying dividends. No, Zach Sudfeld is not Rob Gronkowski. In fact, he’s a couple months older than him. But like Gronkowski, the Nevada product is massive — 6’7”, 255 pounds — and was downplayed through the draft process due to medical concerns which left him as a sixth-year senior. Sudfeld is now healthy, and with several other Patriots tight ends stuck on the sidelines, the 24-year-old is making the most of his extended workload.

An exceptional blocker and a can’t-miss red zone target, Sudfeld has a lot to offer the Patriots, especially if Gronkowski starts the season the PUP list. Don’t be shocked if the rookie nicknamed “Sunshine” beats out some incumbents for a final roster spot. Then again, it’s June and every player is wearing shorts.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: 2 interesting OTA thoughts

I was hoping it was about stankiewitch or zusevics.  We need a center fr the long haul and ol help any day.  Regardless we needed safety help and were out of te's so me being a bird in the hand kind of guy ill take em.  

In regards to the copyright issue I think you should turn yourself in.  I know this guy. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, each has been doing a nice job, but that last sentence, especially for Sudfel's situation as a rookie, really applies.

I noticed you didn't source the article with a link, which according to APAts21, is a copyright violation and worthy of your thread being removed.

Someone has to report it as copyright for it to be removed

[/QUOTE]

I thought policy was either linking the page or crediting source, which I did

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

In response to APpats21's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:

NEPD Staff Writer: Oliver Thomas

2. Adrian Wilson’s Fit Lies Anywhere — As far as 12-year-pros are considered, former Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson looks like he’s got plenty of gasoline left in his tank. As many have divulged, Wilson’s been leading the charge at strong safety. But it’s also worth noting that, per NESN.com’s Luke Hughes, the 6’3”, 230-pound ex-Pro Bowler has even gotten looks as a sub package linebacker and middle linebacker with the first-team defense. The fact that Wilson has been setting the example isn’t surprising, yet it is interesting how he has been utilized in practice.

While he is versatile, he does appear to be the No. 1 candidate to play strong safety right now, even if that means 2012 second-round pick Tavon Wilson’s role remains the same as a “Money” defensive back in dime situations. In classic Belichick terminology, the Patriots will “do what’s best for the football team.” The younger Wilson has an opportunity to learn from the elder, and that tutelage is valuable.

3. Zach Sudfeld Standing Apart — The Patriots acquired an oft-injured tight end prospect in April, and thus far, the move is paying dividends. No, Zach Sudfeld is not Rob Gronkowski. In fact, he’s a couple months older than him. But like Gronkowski, the Nevada product is massive — 6’7”, 255 pounds — and was downplayed through the draft process due to medical concerns which left him as a sixth-year senior. Sudfeld is now healthy, and with several other Patriots tight ends stuck on the sidelines, the 24-year-old is making the most of his extended workload.

An exceptional blocker and a can’t-miss red zone target, Sudfeld has a lot to offer the Patriots, especially if Gronkowski starts the season the PUP list. Don’t be shocked if the rookie nicknamed “Sunshine” beats out some incumbents for a final roster spot. Then again, it’s June and every player is wearing shorts.

Glad we finally have someone to play that hybrid linebacker/safety spot. BB is gonna have fun playing with that new toy. Its also good to hear Sudfeld is getting some attention. Hopefully hes the real deal.

Agree. I think people who think Wilson is old and done are going to be absolutely stunned with what he provides in and around the line of scrimmage.  Or, they won't say anything and then act like what his skill set is, doesn't help us much. lol

It was an example of BB's reputation and the Pats reputation for winners to come and win why Wilson ran in to Foxborough and signed such a low priced deal like that. He flat out wanted to be here. He's already made his money and knows it. Kelly, same thing, but Wilson will do what we haven't had since Rodney left.

BB has been trying to use that Rover LB/S role since 2008 with Tank Williams or Lynch, each of whom were just too slow at that point. Wilson still has his legs.

[/QUOTE]

I am still dubious on Wilson. I thought he slowed last year and is now a part time player. I hope I am wrong, but I still prefer to see TWilson getting the majority of the snaps and having AWilson for 30-40% of the snaps.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont know how the Jets o-line or WR's are doing in camp this year. I figured I would read about it however on one of your numerous daily postings of your favorite team, the Jets.

I, unlike you, have the abilirty to step back and objectively comment on moves the Pats make...you on the other hand, think if BB did it, it is GOLD! The guy has made mistakes, especially recent ones in free agency.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I am still dubious on Wilson. I thought he slowed last year and is now a part time player. I hope I am wrong, but I still prefer to see TWilson getting the majority of the snaps and having AWilson for 30-40% of the snaps.

Rodney had lost a step too but his veteran leadership and play calling was a valued asset and has been missing since he left. He held people accountable. Hopefully Wilson can provide some of that to the young backfield.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

I hope A.Wilson looks this good in late Dec., Jan.  

If it comes down to Ballard or Sudfeld, they probably should go with Sudfeld. I think he has a higher upside.  Plus Ballard isnt even at full speed yet and he tore his knee up a full year and a half ago. 

"I swear it upon Zues the most exceptional runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler"  Socrates

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

i am more intrigued with the sudfeld story given all of our injuries at TE. This kid has the opportunity to stick because of it. He was looked over in the draft because of his long injury history. He has starting potential if he can stay injury free. if he wasn't plagued by injury throughout his college career, my guess is he would have been in the top 3 te's taken this year, and maybe last year if he came out. The second part of the story is something reiss touched on..which is do the pats carry 5 te's, especially given all the injury history? If so, who goes And at what other position will the pats trim?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

My thoughts on Wilson are he will look good through October, but what happens after that is the real concern...will his legs look old and tired? Will he all of the sudden not get to the perimeter to make those tackles? Will he be just a hair off in coverage? People look at a little step behind here and there as nothing, but in truth a little step here or there is everything in the NFL...it's what decides games and who wins Championships.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Rkarp- good info but I am curious what OTA thought # 1 was? (you listed 2 and 3)

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

Rkarp- good info but I am curious what OTA thought # 1 was? (you listed 2 and 3)

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

1. Waiting for Separation at Wide Receiver — The Patriots have 11 wideouts on the expanded roster. Yet, according to reports, there’s a gap in polish between Danny Amendola and the rest of the pack. And the outside receivers who have stepped up are not the names you’d expect, either. Instead, they’re guys who were once seen as written-off men.

Don’t be surprised if the 30-year-old Michael Jenkins, undrafted Cincinnati product Kenbrell Thompkins or practice squad call-up Kamar Aiken find a way to stick around Foxboro this season. They’ve all been factors, particularly in three-receiver sets, according to ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss. It will be interesting to see how second-rounder Aaron Dobson and fourth-rounder Josh Boyce fit into the fold come late July. Their development is crucial in defining this year’s draft class.

Sections
Shortcuts