2006 AFCCG

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

2006 AFCCG

I was just rewatching this game again and a couple of the officials' calls stuck in my craw:
    1) the ellis hobbs face-guarding call
    2) the non-pi-call with caldwell in the endzone  in the fourth quarter
    i wonder how a nerdy villain like underdogggggggg could delight in such an undeserved victory

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: 2006 AFCCG

The officiating in that game was atrocious.  Not the first game to have bad calls and it won't be the last.  Seems to be a problem that is spreading though as the line between acceptabe contact in a contact sport is very blurred and subjective.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The officiating was horrible?  How about the Pats' play post the Colts' final punt of the 2nd quarter?  So we didn't score on the next drive despite being inside their 30 - at least get a field goal.  Instead 2 penalties and a sack later we're punting.  Then we have the Colts on 3rd and long early on their next drive but blow it and they get the field goal.  6 point swing there.  

And the 2nd half, well don't forget:

Pats couldn't convert 3rd and two on first drive.
    Brady missed an open Gaffney for what would have been first down.
    Brady/Caldwell not on same page when Caldwell uncovered.
    Any running game at all 2nd half?
    Big Vince pancaked by Jeff Saturday singlehandedly on Colts go ahead TD.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

The worst call in that game was the Troy Brown offensive pass interference call that shutdown another Pats drive deep in Indy territory with the score already 21-3. That was a ticky-tack call--not even close to being a penalty--and that was the play on which the momentum in the game began to turn.

That said, the injuries on defense and the flu going through the lockerroom probably had more to do with the Pats blowing the lead and running out of gas than anything else in that game (they were down to third stringers at some positions on defense by the time Indy got the ball for the last time in the fourth quarter).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Re: 2006 AFCCG:
    The officiating was horrible?  How about the Pats' play post the Colts' final punt of the 2nd quarter?  So we didn't score on the next drive despite being inside their 30 - at least get a field goal.  Instead 2 penalties and a sack later we're punting.  Then we have the Colts on 3rd and long early on their next drive but blow it and they get the field goal.  6 point swing there.   And the 2nd half, well don't forget: Pats couldn't convert 3rd and two on first drive. Brady missed an open Gaffney for what would have been first down. Brady/Caldwell not on same page when Caldwell uncovered. Any running game at all 2nd half? Big Vince pancaked by Jeff Saturday singlehandedly on Colts go ahead TD.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Was the officiating horrible?  Yes.  There is an acceptable level of error because the officials have to make immediate calls on plays that happen at game speed.  No easy task, and I can't fault them for honest mistakes.  But calling a penalty that does not exist is a huge blunder.  Nothing to do with the play, the guy did not know the rule book.  That is unacceptable for an official.  Honestly, the guy should have lost his job.  Imagine if the coach calls the play in to the QB and the QB says "sorry coach, I don't know that play", much worse than just poor execution.
    I wasn't trying to make excuses though because the Pats could have won that game.  Like I said, it was not the first game with bad calls and it won't be the last.  They happen all the time and trying to go back and figure out what could have been is pointless.  If no mistakes were ever made it could change the playoff picture and matchups so one game does not determine the fate. 

I look at it like a fight with a bad decision.  If you don't want a bad decision, don't leave it in the judges hand.  They did, they could have made plays to win, the Colts won fair and square.

I still might whine about bad calls once in a while though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

The face-guarding call was so bad that the league openly apologized for it.

And it gave the Colts 50 free yards, with the ball on the 2-yard line

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to 2006 AFCCG:
    I was just rewatching this game again and a couple of the officials' calls stuck in my craw: 1) the ellis hobbs face-guarding call 2) the non-pi-call with caldwell in the endzone  in the fourth quarter i wonder how a nerdy villain like underdogggggggg could delight in such an undeserved victory
    Posted by sirpinochle

Because you got your make up TD on the Gaffney TD.  Maybe you missed that little gem of referee mistake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

The face-guarding call was so bad that the league openly apologized for it. And it gave the Colts 50 free yards, with the ball on the 2-yard line
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

This is exactly why I cannot leave this board.  Its one thing to have bias, which we all have in spades, its completely something else when that bias allows you to lie about the truth. 

The colts had the ball 2nd and 7 from the 19 yd line.  50 yds???  LOL

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

The worst call in that game was the Troy Brown offensive pass interference call that shutdown another Pats drive deep in Indy territory with the score already 21-3. That was a ticky-tack call--not even close to being a penalty--and that was the play on which the momentum in the game began to turn.
    Posted by hardright

The "momentum" didn't begin to turn.

It was made to turn.

The Pats were kicking the Colts @ss all up and down the field and the officials decided (or were instructed) to take a firmer hand in the proceedings.

Anyone who is not a blind Colts homer knows this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

The only way the Colts won that game was the officiating handed it to them. i think somebody titled that game at half time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

So the officials told Wilfork to fall over when Saturday pushed him?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I dont know what was worse Eric Alexander (who is the man on ST) or the refs. They literally called face guarding on Ellis Hobbs and face guarding hasnt been illegal at that time and now for years and Ellis after the game got an apology. Yeah like the fact the other team got a freebie TD is made up for by a letter? Please...

I wish pass interference plays could be challenged. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

That was a painful game for me as well.  I still maintain that 2006 was the best year Brady ever had.  Not because he broke records, but because he never won so much with so little.  

Whatever anyone thinks of officiating, our defense was totally gassed.  It's fair to blame some of that on the flu, and some on the unusually high temperature in the dome in January.  So hot that the TV commentators remarked about it.  In fact, an independent live-blogger in the stands also blogged about it.  I don't think we would have given up our entire lead had the D not been nearly lying on the turf in exhaustion.

I don't believe in any officiating conspiracy.  Polian is on the rules committee but he is not in charge of it.  One of the co-chairs of the committee is the Titans head coach.  A simple google search will show you that even he has made public remarks about his team getting a raw deal from the officials when playing the Colts.  Some could argue that in the streak when we were winning the series against them, we were getting some pretty good "non-calls" on our turf.  Oops, I forgot I'm supposed to be a homer and forget all that :^)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

...Caldwell is treated as Bill Buckner because of two drops - neither was relevant to the outcome because the Patriots scored on those drives anyway...
    Posted by STP43FAN

Are you sure about that?  I sure seem to recall a drop that would have at least put us in good FG range late in the game.  I believe the drive stalled.  The look on Caldwell's face I can't forget.  I won't bet my left kahona on it, but I think he had a very relevant drop where he was wide open, the ball perfectly thrown, and we needed the catch in a big way.  Maybe I'm wrong.

[EDIT] I did my homework, and no, I'm not wrong.  Caldwell's drops were not irrelevant, unless there is no difference between a TD and a FG.  Here is a snippet from a Colts Blog of the game:

Patriots Ball

Brown fielded the punt and his return and a penalty on the Colts kick team gave New England first and 10 at the Colts 43.

Brady went right to his wide receivers, hitting Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney for 16 and 14 yards down to the Colts 13. Once there, Brown was called for an illegal shift penalty.

On First and Fifteen, Caldwell lined up on the far right end of the line WITH NO ONE FROM THE COLTS COVERING HIM . . .

HE'S WIDE OPEN!

The ball is snapped, the whole Patriots sideline is screaming and pointing to the wide open, all alone, one of Patriots lead in receptions wide receiver, Reche Caldwell - of course, who wouldn't - Brady tosses the ball for what would have been at least 10 yards but he dropped the easy catch and the drive stalled.

The second time in this game Caldwell dropped
     an EASY TO MAKE catch.

Brady then threw for 8 yards to Evans and then threw incomplete to Caldwell on Third and Seven.

Brady walks off the field as the the Field Goal Team comes on for Stephen Gostkowski to kick a 27-yard field goal with 7:35 left to play.

Colts - 28  Patriots - 31

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Don't forget, also, that by the second half of that game the defense was missng Seau (who had broken his arm against the Bears late in the season), Harrison (who had been chop-blocked in Week 17 against the Titans), and Seymour (who had injured himself in the first quarter of this particular championship game and did not return); so the Pats were already missing three key starters on defense in that game before other injuries and the flu began taking their toll. Essentially, they were down to third stringers at a few positions on defense by the time the fourth quarter rolled around. Also, I believe Corey Dillon got dinged up in that game (Maroney had already been injured late in the year against Detroit and didn't play as much down the stretch), and the Pats were down to Heath Evans, basically, as their lone healthy RB in the final quarter (not sure about Kevin Faulk but I don't remember him being on the field in the fourth quarter--I could be wrong about that).

It was just one of those "Murphy's Law" days for the Pats, where everything that could go wrong in the final 33 minutes, did go wrong, from the three egregiously bad calls (Brown's offensive P.I.; the Hobbs faceguarding call; the non-call when Caldwell was mugged in the end zone on 3rd and goal in the 4th quarter), to the flu, to the injuries, to Caldwell's second big drop when he was standing by himself along the sidelines, etc., etc.

It just wasn't going to be their day for whatever reason.

It's too bad because if they'd pulled off winning a Super Bowl with that receiving corps in 2006, Brady may have forever passed Montana in the all-time great QBs argument, because Joe never won a title with a motley crew of WRs like that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

See now if I were a pats fan and you guys were colts fans, I would simply call this a choke and whining.  But I am not going to do that. 

What I am going to do is remind everyone, and I will continue to this until the day I die if need be, that the pats got their make up call for the face guard on the one footed Gaffney TD.  Gaffney was straddling the line.  His INSIDE foot was the foot down in bounds with NO ROOM to the line (1/4 to 1/8 inch off the line maybe - you could not see any green btn his foot and the sideline on replays).  Gaffney would have had to cross his OUTSIDE foot over his inside foot while making a great circus catch in order for this to be a TD.  Was not going to happen, but the refs gave it to him anyway. 

The difference, the colts got their ref call on 2nd dn but still had to score.  Had the penalty not been called, the colts would have had another down to get a first before kicking a FG.  The pats got their call AND a touchdown on 3rd dn from the 6 yd line.  If the TD was not given, the Pats likely would have kicked a FG (it would have been 4th and goal from the 6). 

The pats got their make up call. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

There was no way the networks or the NFL were going to let Yankees win another Superbowl.

Sections
Shortcuts