2007 A Season To Remember

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

2007 A Season To Remember

If you are still trying to forget the 2007 season then I suggest you hit your back button now.

We are now 5 seasons removed from that magical season. I think it's time to revisit it. I may even watch the super bowl again. Here are some highlights, lowlights and sidelights of the almost best team ever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: 2007 A Season To Remember

January 22, 2007
    Patriots lose to the Colts 38-34 in the AFC Championship game.

January 23, 2007
    Patriots free agents Tully Banta-Cain, Troy Brown, Don Davis, Heath Evans, Barry Gardner, Daniel Graham, Larry Izzo, Ray Mickens, Patrick Pass, Asante Samuel, Todd Sauerbrun, Junior Seau, Vinny Testaverde, Ken Walter. link

February 1, 2007
    Jets Cleared of Branch Tampering link

February 2, 2007
    Ted Johnson, 'I don't want anyone to end up like me' link

February 3, 2007
    Andre Tippett denied election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. link

February 5, 2007
    Colts quarterback Peyton Manning said he received a good luck message from Patriots coach Bill Belichick the Friday before the game. link

February 16, 2007
    Asante Samuel tagged. Belichick: "Asante Samuel is an outstanding player who has been a consistent contributor for us for several years. We hope Asante remains a Patriot for many seasons to come."

February 18, 2007
    Bridget Moynahan expecting. The father is Tom Brady. link

February 19, 2007
    The Patriots have named Nick Caserio their new wide receivers coach, replacing Brian Daboll.

February 22, 2007
    Corey Dillon retires. link

February 26, 2007
    Top 10 free agent signings by Belichick/Pioli link
    Top 10 worst link

February 27, 2007
    Bill O'Brien hired as an offensive assistant. link

March 3, 2007
    Kyle Brady, Sammy Morris, Adalius Thomas sign with Patriots. link

March 5, 2007
    Patriots acquire receiver Wes Welker from the Dolphins. link

March 13, 2007
    Patriots sign wide receivers Donte' Stallworth and Kelley Washington.

March 26, 2007
    Kraft Q&A
    There has been plenty of talk on the personal conduct policy, and the commissioner will address that. What is your take on that?

“I think since we’ve bought the team we’ve shown what kind of people … we actually cut a player [Christian Peter] a number of years ago who was drafted who didn’t fit the profile of what we want. I don’t think the general public wants to see overindulged athletes getting a lot of money who don’t respect the responsibility and privilege they have. I don’t think major sponsors want to brand with us if we’re not diligent in that area. I think we’re going to come out of this week with a much stronger player-conduct policy, and I think a majority of the owners are very supportive of that.” link

March 27, 2007
    The rule allowing a defensive player to wear a headset was rejected. link

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

April 1, 2007
    The China Bowl between the Patriots and Seahawks will not be played this August. link1 link2

April 4, 2007
    Asante Samuel to Adam Schefter, “This is to let everybody know that I’m not happy anymore and things are not going well. At first I thought it was going well, but it’s not. We have a difference of opinion in my value. They think I’m worth one price and the other teams think I’m worth a lot more. If a long-term deal can’t be done at fair numbers for me and New England, then I want to be traded.”

April 5, 2007
    Darryl Stingley dies. link1 link2

April 12, 2007
    Drew Bledsoe announces his retirement. link

April 19, 2007
    Chris Henry on his pre-draft visit with the Patriots, link

April 28, 2007
    Patriots draft Brandon Meriweather. link1 link2

April 29, 2007
    The Patriots acquire receiver Randy Moss from the Raiders. link

May 13, 2007
    "They'll find out Randy can't run consistently anymore. He'll drive Brady and Belichick crazy." link

May 20, 2007
    Patriots Place legacy project. link

May 21, 2007
    Seau re-signs. link

May 28, 2007
    Marquise Hill drowns. link

May 30, 2007
    The Best: Coach link

June 1, 2007
    Joe Andruzzi has been diagnosed with a treatable form of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. link

June 5, 2007
    Asante Samuel, "I'm not coming to camp, I'm not showing up until the 10th week. I feel unappreciated. The way they're treating me is just wrong." link

June 6, 2007
    The Best: Leader link

June 8, 2007
    The Best: Owner link

June 14, 2007
    Top 50 players link

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

July 10, 2007
    "Bucko" Kilroy passes away. link1 link2

July 17, 2007
    More Asante link

July 27, 2007
    Rodney Harrison has speedy recovery. link

July 30, 2007
    Bill Walsh passes away. link

August 18, 2007
    Rodney Harrison in another gear. The veteran safety was buzzing all over the field tonight, totaling three tackles, one sack and two passes defended. The attitude and edge he brings to the defense can't be pointed out enough. At 34, you wonder when he might start slowing down. He certainly wasn't slow tonight.

August 24, 2007
    Mike Vick suspended from NFL indefinitely for his involvement in dog fighting that was "not only illegal but also cruel and reprehensible." link

August 28, 2007
    Asante Samuel signs franchise tender. link

August 28, 2007
    Bridget Moynahan gives birth to John Edward Thomas Moynahan. Tom Brady was able to skip practice and be there for the birth of his son. link

August 31, 2007
    Rodney Harrison suspended 4 games by the NFL. link

September 1, 2007
    Richard Seymour to PUP. link

September 3, 2007
    Randy Moss Q&A. link

September 6, 2007
    Patriots captains QB Tom Brady RB Kevin Faulk LB Tedy Bruschi LB Mike Vrabel LB Larry Izzo LB Junior Seau DE Ty Warren link

September 10, 2007
    NFL security confiscates a video camera and its tape from a New England Patriots employee on the team's sideline during Sunday's game against the Jets. link1 link2

September 13, 2007
    Patriots, Belichick fined, forfeit draft pick. link1 link2 link3

September 17, 2007
    Robert Kraft presents coach Bill Belichick a game ball. link

September 17, 2007
    Bruschi emotional, "This is the most satisfying [win] because I've never been in a situation where people have doubted what we've done with past teams." link

September 17, 2007
    Bill Simmons - That was a fascinating Chargers-Pats game Sunday night for a number of reasons, only nobody outside of New England seemed to notice. Especially the network that was broadcasting it. link

September 17, 2007
    Billick: Jets 'illegally' simulated snap count on Sunday link1 link2

September 19, 2007
    Brady likes the balance the Patriots have achieved between the run and the pass. He said it all starts with the run, which sets up other possibilities, such as play-action. link

September 23, 2007
    Tom Brady replaced by Matt Cassel with 8:15 left in the game and the Patriots leading 38-7.
    Moss becomes the first player in NFL history to record 100 or more yards in his first three games with a new team.

September 27, 2007
    Chad Johnson checks in. link

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

October 1, 2007
    Randy Moss is hosting 45 children from West Virginia at tonight's game. Moss annually has paid for tickets so children from his native state can attend NFL games.

October 3, 2007
    Rodney's back! link

October 4, 2007
    Humble Pie link

October 5, 2007
    Stat check through four weeks, link

October 7, 2007
    Leigh Bodden helps hold Randy Moss to 3 catches for 46 yards. link
    October 7, 2007
    38 year old Junior Seau has 2 interceptions. link

October 10, 2007
    Terrell Owens left a laminated note for reporters at his locker, "Due to the magnitude of this week's game and high volume of questions for the Original 81 about the other 81, I will be taking all questions immediately following Sunday's game. p.s. Getcha Popcorn Ready." link

October 11, 2007
    Chuck Fairbanks at practice. link

October 14, 2007
    Brady sets NFL record with 3 or more TDs in 1st 6 games.
    Rodney Harrison is all-time defensive back sack leader. link

October 14, 2007
    Junior Seau set a new single-season career high with his third interception of the season.
    Wes Welker had a career-high 11 receptions for a career-high 124 yards, recording his first career 100-yard receiving game.
    In his 100th career start, Tom Brady set a career high with five touchdown passes, tying the Patriots single-game franchise record and becoming the first New England player to achieve the feat since Steve Grogan on Sept. 9, 1979. Vito “Babe” Parilli also threw five touchdowns in a game for the Patriots on two occasions – on Oct. 15, 1967 and on Nov. 15, 1964. link

October 16, 2007
    SI cover  link

October 21, 2007
    Tom Brady replaced by Matt Cassel with 11:28 left in the game and the Patriots leading 42-14.
    Tom Brady has returned to the game following Matt Cassel throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown.

October 21, 2007
    BB Q&A link
    After Matt Cassel threw the interception returned for a touchdown, you put Tom Brady back in. Why?
    "Because of the score."

And the other quarterback, Matt Gutierrez? Was something wrong with Matt Cassel that Gutierrez went in?
    "We were just trying to win the game, that's all. We were just trying to win the game."

But the score was 42-21
    "Yeah, one more turnover and it's a 14-point game in the middle of the fourth quarter. Yeah, I was at the game."

Is that why you went to the two-minute offense at the end of the first half?
    "It's the first half. It's the first half. Look, we've all seen games -- the Tampa-Indianapolis game a couple of years ago, 21 points in four minutes, whatever it is -- I mean, don't tell me about leads in this league. Until the final gun goes off, it's not a win."

October 21, 2007
    More records. link1 link2 link3

October 24, 2007
    Ray Lewis reacts to comments made by Adalius Thomas. link

October 25, 2007
    Seau on S.D. fires. link

October 25, 2007
    Manning, Brady, Favre have shot to become 1st QBs to beat 31 NFL teams link

October 26, 2007
    Keenan McCardell still grateful to Belichick link

October 27, 2007
    Sean Taylor leads the NFL in interceptions. link

October 27, 2007
    Seymour activated link

October 28, 2007
    Mike Vrabel has 10 career receptions, all for touchdowns. link

October 28, 2007
    Reche Caldwell holds no grudges link

October 28, 2007
    Tom Brady replaced by Matt Cassel with 8:30 left in the game and the Patriots leading 45-0.

October 29, 2007
    Red Sox win world series. link1 link2

October 30, 2007
    Belichick mum on criticism. Troy Brown itching to get back on the field. link

October 31, 2007
    Tony Dungy on the Patriots. link1 link2

October 31, 2007
    Running up the score gate. link
    Hide the kids! link
    Great article! link

October 31, 2007
    Brian Cashman on hiring hiring Joe Girardi as their manager, "Hopefully, he can help us become the Patriots." link

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

November 2, 2007
    Sammy Morris to IR link
    Stat check through 8 weeks, link

November 5, 2007
    Colts piping in crowd noise? link

November 6, 2007
    Don Shula: Spygate would mar Pats' undefeated season link
    LBs on SI cover link

November 14, 2007
    60-minute men link

November 17, 2007
    Under The Hoodie link

November 18, 2007
    Tom Brady replaced by Matt Cassel with 10:57 left in the game and the Patriots leading 56-10.
    More records link1 link2

November 27, 2007
    Troy Brown activated link
    Rosevelt Colvin to IR link

November 28, 2007
    Sean Taylor dies. link

December 3, 2007
    Top 5 trades link
    Bottom 5 trades link

December 4, 2007
    Ravens post-game reaction link

December 5, 2007
    Belichick - "We're a tired team right now. We're a tired team. We played three consecutive night games and three of our last four games we've come from behind in the fourth quarter to win. I think we need to try to find a way to get some energy back." link1link2

December 5, 2007
    Anthony Smith guarantees a Steelers victory. link

December 6, 2007
    Senator John Kerry's letter to NFL. link

December 7, 2007
    Stat check through 12 weeks, link
    Ravens fined for comments. link

December 9, 2007
    A plane is flying around Gillette Stadium with a not-so subtle message directed at the Patriots. link

December 13, 2007
    Mike Wright to IR link

December 16, 2007
    21st player scores TD ties NFL record. link
    Game suspended due to snowballs. link
    Postgame handshake link

December 18, 2007
    8 Pro Bowlers link1 link2

December 19, 2007
    Welker gets 12th player award. link

December 21, 2007
    BB PB&J link

December 23, 2007
    More records link

December 27, 2007
    Bill on SI cover link

December 30, 2007
    WR Randy Moss was asked his thoughts on breaking Jerry Rice's single-season record for touchdown receptions in a season. “I didn’t think breaking Jerry Rice’s record was special, I think shutting you guys up made it special.” link

December 30, 2007
    '72 Dolphins react link

December 31, 2007
    Final stat check, link
    How the Patriots do it. link

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

January 3, 2008
    Belichick: Coach of the Year link

January 5, 2008
    Tom Brady named the Associated Press Most Valuable Player link

January 8, 2008
    Brady: Offensive POY link

January 9, 2008
    Five All-Pro selections - Brady, Moss, Light, Vrabel and Samuel. link

January 10, 2008
    Remembering Marquise link

January 13, 2008
    Tom Brady completed 92.9 percent of his passes (26 completions in 28 attempts) setting an all-time NFL record for the highest completion percentage in a game, including regular-season and playoff games (minimum 20 attempts). Tom Brady completed his first 16 passes of the game. link

January 15, 2008
    The Chargers totaled an NFL-high 48 take-aways during the regular season. The Patriots had a league-low 15 give-aways during the regular season. Force meets force in the AFC title game.

January 17, 2008
    Randy Moss issued temporary restraining order for allegedly committing "battery causing serious injury" to Florida woman. link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    "I spoke with and I support Randy 100 percent," Belichick said. link
    Rodney Harrison on his 3 personal fouls in the last two games. link

January 18, 2008
    Year of distractions link

January 20, 2008
    GM Dimitroff credits his Patriot experience link

January 21, 2008
    Who's up and who's down link
    Down
    Tom Brady -- Quarterback throws three interceptions in a game for the first time this season.
    Randy Moss -- Wide receiver finishes with one catch for 18 yards, and one rush for 14 yards, and drops a pass.

January 22, 2008
    Tom Brady wearing a protective boot link1 link2

January 27, 2008
    Former Patriots head coach Mike Holovak passes away link1 link2

January 29, 2008
    Plaxico Burress predicts a 23-17 Giants win link

January 30, 2008
    Tom Brady on Plaxico link

February 1, 2008
    Senator Arlen Specter wants N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell to explain the rationale behind destroying evidence that the Patriots cheated link

February 1, 2008
    Matt Walsh link

February 1, 2008
    Roger Goodell - I don’t think it taints their accomplishments, I think what they did this season was certainly within the rules, on a level playing field. link

February 2, 2008
    Source: Pats employee filmed Rams’ final walkthrough before Super Bowl XXXVI. link

February 2, 2008
    The NFL and Patriots release statements regarding a report that the Patriots illegally videotaped the St. Louis Rams walkthrough in Super Bowl XXXVI. link

February 2, 2008
    Andre Tippett has been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame link

February 3, 2008
    Robert Kraft - We were treated unfairly and penalized, in my opinion, way beyond what we should have been. link

February 3, 2008
    Shaughnessy - Tee it up, Super Sunday is finally here link

February 3, 2008
    Who is Ernie Adams? link

February 4, 2008
    Super Bowl records link

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wow! That was a trip down memory lane. That was a very special year (although the ending sucked). That whole season was like watching a video game...never seen anything like it. I do think the offense was starting to stall a little bit towards the end and the defense was starting to look old. I remember when the Chargers knocked off the Colts and everyone around here was like "thank God", because we were having some problems. We got an absolute gift when the Chargers limped into Foxboro. I still thought we were going to beat the Giants - although I will say I thought it was not going to be a cake walk and on any given Sunday things can certainly happen....and it did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Being at that SB was a killer for me. we had a great trip that week. My buddies and i stayed in Scottsdale and had a great time. Walking out of that stadium that night was as deppressing as you could get. we decided to refer to that SB/trip as the thing that happened out west. We rarely even talk about it now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thanks for the links and timeline Digg. I appreciate the effort. Its good to see how much went on that year. I never knew toms first son was born the same day as me. I still think him leaving the girl next door(B.M.) for the hot super model was part of his downfall, now especially.  I also think that glowing endorsement from Ocho back then was a reason BB gave him a bone 2 years ago. Was clearly not a fit, so he just tried to help him ,but it didnt work. I'll have to read some of the other links later. Thanks again for posting

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Thanks for the links and timeline Digg. I appreciate the effort. Its good to see how much went on that year. I never knew toms first son was born the same day as me. I still think him leaving the girl next door(B.M.) for the hot super model was part of his downfall, now especially.  I also think that glowing endorsement from Ocho back then was a reason BB gave him a bone 2 years ago. Was clearly not a fit, so he just tried to help him ,but it didnt work. I'll have to read some of the other links later. Thanks again for posting

I still think him leaving the girl next door(B.M.) for the hot super model was part of his downfall

you're too intelligent to make a statement like this-this is Rusty silly

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I still think him leaving the girl next door(B.M.) for the hot super model was part of his downfall

you're too intelligent to make a statement like this-this is Rusty silly

Hey, im not a brady basher. I dont mean in the way of he fell off physically or anything. Just that his luck changed. He was still a good player if not much better but the way things have swung for us since then is no coincidence to me. I mean  I dont mean to discredit the Gaints 2 wins, but they were both flukes which lead to me to believe, the football gods are not shining on us anymore and havent in some time. BB has some demons he has to exercise too. .I truly believe that. Rusty just sais Brady S*cks. There is a difference. If this franchise doesnt win another ring under BB/Brady and they win one AFTER, I will have no doubts at that point. I watch the games, but at this point, Im convinced this team is cursed. Just not sure of how long. Go ahead and put the tin foil hat on me. Just think of all the bad things that have happend to this organization recently. Bad luck after bad luck...masked by meaningless regular season victories and hopes and dreams of another SB win.

I dont do religion but I am spiritual. I believe also that you get back in life what you put out. if its negative, it will come back, same as positive. Its the universe and the way it works. I recall Brady having relationship with B.M and not hearing any issues and then BOOM. One night Gizelle attends a game and ask about Brady. She is told, he is taken. She sais,. well he is invisible to me. Word get backs to Tom that the supermodel asked about him. He tells his peeps to reach out. They Hook up. He leaves his baby mama and the rest is history. Now a man can do what he wants, but does anyone think that was a commendable or respectable thing to do? That was Pure LUST!  Him seeing the greener grass and bailing on his "ordinary chic" who was not ordinary but a pretty good actress. Thats my take and its not new. I just watch every year hoping im wrong, but Ive felt this way since 07.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

For me the 2007 season is one to forget. I still hate the 16-0 banner at Gillette. I really wish they would just take the thing down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

For me the 2007 season is one to forget. I still hate the 16-0 banner at Gillette. I really wish they would just take the thing down.

I understand the sentiment. I was that way until just recently.

I agree about the banner. It doesn't fit with their championship philosophy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

[QUOTE]

I understand the sentiment. I was that way until just recently.

I agree about the banner. It doesn't fit with their championship philosophy.

[/QUOTE]

It does not bother me when fans recall the good parts of 2007, but for the franchise to hang a banner that essentially commerates the fact that they lost in one of the biggest upsets in pro sports history I think is wrong. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Right there with you... it hangs right near my seats and it really bothers me. Everyone wants it down!!!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Worst season ever and it changed our fans ability to understand the game and the aftereffects years later still linger.

I actually wish it never happened.

There has never been a fanbase as brainwashed as this, especially after a dynasty had been formed playing a completely different style of offense. Nice try, it worked well at times, but they had become too reliant with what they did in 2007.  The element of surprise for what that offense change was in 2007 was cooked by the end of the 2009 season.

It's 2013 and we're still arguing over why it failed overall.

Actually, some won't even admit it failed.  A season to forget, IMO.

"and the beat goes on...and the beat goes on..."