2008 Pats Draft = SuperStud + Bag O Crap

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

2008 Pats Draft = SuperStud + Bag O Crap

Now that Terrence W. is officially a memory , the question remains : 
    How much longer will it be before the Pats are cleansed of the rest of the debris that was the Patriots 2008 Draft . Considering the amazing talent that the last few drafts have ushered in , it's hard to believe that '08 could have hauled in such a turd pile ( of course with the one shining exception being #51 ).

The remaining class of '08 :
    Shawn "Skinny-Legs" Crable
    Jonathan "Can't-Make-A-Play" Whilhite
    Matthew "Never Shine" Slator

2008 NFL Draft - New England Patriots
    RoundPick #OverallPlayerPos.ClassSchool
    11010Jerod MayoLBJrTennessee
    63160Bo RuudLBSrNebraska
    231101Terrence WheatleyCBSrColorado
    430132Jonathan WilhiteCBSrAuburn
    518156Matthew SlaterWRSrUCLA
    315184Shawn CrableLBSrMichigan
    331200Kevin O'ConnellQBSrSan Diego State

I guess it's worth noting that '08 was Scott Pioli's last draft here ...

Just sayin' .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Re: 2008 Pats Draft = SuperStud + Bag O Crap

Well Mayo will probably be around a while I hope. Not their best draft, but you can't draft great every year. The last two have been terrific though.

Nick Caserio should probably receive more recognition for the last two years. Hopefully nobody tries to steal him away.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

The remaining class of '08 :
    Shawn "Skinny-Legs" Crable 
    Jonathan "Can't-Make-A-Play" Whilhite
    Matthew "Never Shine" Slator

are you Chris Berman?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

Well aside from Mayo who was selected 10th overall, our next highest pick was Wheatley at 62 (almost 3rd round).  No, big busts that I can see.

Don't forget we got the Chargers 09 second round pick for trading our 3rd from 08, so that counts too. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

Damn Belichick for not drafting a hall of famer with every pick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Actually, given where the picks were, that draft doesn't look so bad.  I'm guessing Wheatley will be back on the practice squad (assuming he clears waivers) and may still play at some point, Crable is getting snaps now and is showing some pass rushing potential, Wilhite has looked like a decent nickel back this year, and Slater is really a good special teams player despite what fans seem to think. For where these guys were picked in the draft, the results aren't really all that bad.  Wheatley and Crable might be seen as disappointments given that they were low-second and mid-third round picks, but both have been hampered by injury and may have been bigger contributors had they not had the misfortune to get hurt.  O'Connell was a wasted pick (but bottom of the third round isn't exactly a high-odds pick anyway) and Rudd didn't work out--but sixth round is almost free agent territory and always a crap shoot. Getting one pro-bowl quality starter and three or four role players out of a draft isn't a bad result, particularly when you're team 31 out of 32 in the draft order.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Go look at Indy's draft and then compare it to ours.

NE also scored Guyton and BJGE in the 2008 talent evaluations.

Anyone babbling about the 2008 is a reject.  The 2008 talent pool was probably the worst that decade.

Scoring Mayo, Wilhite, Crable, Slater and BJGE with Guyton as smaller contributors is not anywhere near as bad as trolls or dumb Pats fans will claim.

When you consider the overall impact within a context, supposed "best" draft guru Polian did not do better than BB in 2008.

Keep in mind that Adolf Goodell also took a 1st rd pick away.

Good evening, ladies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

W T F are you talking about , that draft doesnt look that bad? Are you kidding me? Which one of those players looks like an actual NFL player? Seriously man , I hate it when people talk chit over the internet but you sound like a moron. We drafted Whilite instead of grabbing Jamaal Charles. And thats not a one time thing either , the Pats have missed on a lot of very good players. And its not Mon. Morn. QB'n if you say it at the time. Theres actually a couple of us that know what we're talking about on here. LOL LMMFAO And you must fill the rest of us in on who that pro bowl player is? LOL And guys like Crable , Whilite , Wheatley are hardly role players buddy. You need to do your homework!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

LOL Ok I forgot about Mayo. And love him as much as the next guy , but he has to actually go to a couple pro bowls before he's a pro bowl player. And sorry but your the reject buddy , every draft has tons of talent. Theres never been ONE draft in the history of football where coaches/GM's get together and say , " Yea we've got nothing here ". Jamaal Charles was drafted in the 3rd round , are you really trying to make the case that 08 was the worst ever? Take another look and do your homework.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hey NOT2REGRET, calm down! I didn't say Mayo made the pro bowl, I said he was a pro-bowl quality player, meaning he's playing at a level equivalent to a player who made or might make the pro bowl.  

As far as missing on Jamaal Charles (and a few other players like Kevin Smith) that happens.  Hindsight is 20-20 and no team is perfect in predicting which players will work out and which won't. The 2008 draft may not have been a brilliant one for the Pats but it wasn't a disaster either since it produced one very good player (Mayo), two players who are contributing regularly (Slater and Wilhite), and two (Crable and Wheatley) who could still turn out to be contributors if they can shake off their injury bugs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

So smart mouth ( NOT2Regret), please explain to me why was Charles drafted in the third? Oh, because evaluators didn't see him as being a higher pick. You can't go back and re-do a draft, its crap shoot really.

We got a stud in Mayo and few contributors in what was an otherwise weak draft pool.  Good enough for me.

Im guessing your one of those people that think every pick should pan out/be a HOF player. Reality check, that does NOT HAPPEN IN THE NFL!!! Its a bloody crapshoot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: 2008 Pats Draft = SuperStud + Bag O Crap:
    LOL Ok I forgot about Mayo. And love him as much as the next guy , but he has to actually go to a couple pro bowls before he's a pro bowl player. And sorry but your the reject buddy , every draft has tons of talent. Theres never been ONE draft in the history of football where coaches/GM's get together and say , " Yea we've got nothing here ". Jamaal Charles was drafted in the 3rd round , are you really trying to make the case that 08 was the worst ever? Take another look and do your homework.
    Posted by NOT2REGRET

Listen teenie bopper, do you know how many times you could say "so and so was available in that draft and we didn't get him"....????

Are you this daft?

2008 was a very thin talent pool. There isn't one team that had a good draft, let alone a great draft that year.  Go look.

You were so quick to knee jerk you forgot BB drafted the DROY in Mayo and now you look stupid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Why are people taking a 6-1 team and looking for the worst possible angle?  Are they trying to buy the team at a discount by haggling?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Paul_K,

Because the guy that started this thread is really a Jets fan pretending to be a Pats fan.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

C'Mon people ... CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG ?  ( lol )

This thread wasn't started to bash BB ( or Pioli ) 

I posted simply to point out that in "08 ~
    We got all of 1 starter out of the draft class

(and realistically that's gonna be it )

That said...

Knightsailor ~ Good pt regarding the Pats using an '08 3rd round pick to aquire SD's 2009 2nd rnd pick .
     ( We ended up trading that pick to Oak in the '09 draft & moved up and took Ron Brace )

BBReigns ~ Multiple good pts including the fact that Guyton / BJGE were added via the UFA route.
    However I'm not sure about your statement that NOBODY had a good '08 draft .
    ( Off the top of my head I remember the Ravens snagged Flacco / Ray Rice )

I think BB does a better Draft job than any other GM out there but ...

I stand by my initial assertation that the Pats '08 draft class was less than stellar .

PS 
    Dear  "theMightyPatriots" ... Cool Troll picture ! ( Family photo ? )

Thank you once again for taking the time out of your busy schedule to express your disdain for anything that isn't exactly up to your special brand of Pats PC

I'll make sure the next thread I post will heap nothing but praise on everything the Patriots have done or will ever do .

( I never meant to offend your delicate sensibilities )

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

We missed some superb talent in the 2008 draft.   

Chris Johnson
    Dustin Keller
    Rashard Mendenhall
    Brandon Flowers
    Desean Jackson
    Ray Rice
    Jermichael Finley
    Mike Jenkins
    Tracy Porter

Wish we could have gotten Johnson, Rice or Flowers. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

• In Response to Re: 2008 Pats Draft = SuperStud + Bag O Crap:
      We missed some superb talent in the 2008 draft.    Chris Johnson Dustin Keller Rashard Mendenhall Brandon Flowers Desean Jackson Ray Rice Jermichael Finley Mike Jenkins Tracy Porter Wish we could have gotten Johnson, Rice or Flowers. 
      Posted by Spetznaz24

Could have.....should have.......

Like many teams regret not drafting a QB who was drafted at 199 of the 6th round in 2000

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The truth is Bill Belichick the coach will always be able to make Bill Belichick the GM look better than he is:).....Always!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

The truth is Bill Belichick the coach will always be able to make Bill Belichick the GM look better than he is:).....Always!!
    Posted by mthurl

mthur ~ Though I believe BB is truly hitting is stride in this draft thingy ...
     there is probably more than a kernel of truth in what you say.
       Having the best coach in football coaching your draftees is not a bad thing for any GM to have.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

ITS NOT TROLLING TO CRITIZE, get over this fact.

BUT chill out.  The 2008 draft stunk so what, they have had plenty of great drafts past and present and seem to be on the right track.  BB is the best coach in the league and everyone knows it.  He's not goihng to be right 100% of the time, but he will be more then other coaches.

Also he seems to have learned from muistakes and has been drafting much better.
    The 2010 draft could be one of the best drafts ever, even the punter and 7th round deadrick is good.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Re: 2008 Pats Draft = SuperStud + Bag O Crap :  mthur ~ Though I believe BB is truly hitting is stride in this draft thingy ...  there is probably more than a kernel of truth in what you say.    Having the best coach in football coaching your draftees is not a bad thing for any GM to have.
    Posted by CapFoxboro

With all the "systems" in football you have to draft the guys that fit.  To say you missed on this guy or that guy may have not been a fit here and also may have not reached their present greatness.  Coaches have to have players that fit their system so they can be coached up.  You can't ask a player to do something he can't do mentally or physically. 

There is something to say about the Belichick/Pioli drafts not being that great.  The same folks that post this kinda stuff need to understand nobody has done any better else they would have the SBs and playoffs to show for it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pjmj430. Show pjmj430's posts

this thread is a bag o whiney crap..... go route for buffalo...and then when they have bad draft after bad draft you will have something to whine about.... not all picks work but bill completely understands what trolls dont and builds his teams from all avenues available....

change you name capt and go troll somewhere else...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

The bottome line is, BB is clearly a top 3 GM over the past 10 years in terms of hits over misses.

His yields, whether it comes in the form of a 2nd, 3rd, or a 7th rd pick, are generally high. 

2006 will be his worst draft.

He has two 1st rd pick disappointments in Watson and Maroney, each near the bottom portion of the 1st round.  neither are outright busts, but both are the two clear disappointments where fans expected more.

So, we know he doesn't truly miss on 1st rd picks.  Look at other team's 1st rd pick success rates.

Even Bill Polian traded a 1st rounder to actually trade up for Tony Ugoh. Ugoh as been as successful as the Yugo itself and is unemployed.

Two things BB does VERY well, is identify back end round talent and UDFA talent.     We have seen this time and again.

So, while trolls focus on an occassional early or mid round miss, Brandon Deaderick and his high character and 36 Wonderlic starts in a 3-4 as a 7th rd pick. Or, Julian Edelman is a factor/should be a factor at some point to help.

Or, BJGE is now proving he can play.

Or, Myron Pryor helps.

Or....

Or......

Long list.

And of course, as stated and priven this decade, he is very good at bringing in quality in FA, contigent upon supplementing both need and intangible factors.

Good points added in right above here from  Beantowne, folks.  

So many factors come into play in any given context for any team in this league.

If you saw Matt Millen drafting WRs, I would imagine your head would blow off, when you know you should build on the lines, outward.

Look at the Jets.   Trading up for a TE 1st rd is highly questionable even though it appears they got a good TE who can actually get open and catch the ball. Drafting a kicker in the 3rd rd, drafting a nickel back this year in the 1st rd, trading up for Mark Sanchez?

That's two first rd wild cards in the last 3 years and how many picks lost by thinking those were slam dunk picks?

Look how much worse other teams ar,e even in the division.

When you have 4 or 5 Pro Bowl caliber vets on a 2007 or 2008 team, the chances of mid rd draft picks in weak drafts sticking, are few and far between.

NE did not realluy like the 2007 and 2008 drafts all that much and loaded up both in 2009 and 2010 instead.

SUCCESS

Top 5 GMs:

BB
    Polian
    Pittsburgh (team of heads)
    Andy Reid
    Ted Thompson

Honorable mentions:

Ozzie Newsome, Scott Pioli

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I also wish I could look back at a draft from 3 years ago and cherry pick all the best talent.

A stud MLB, stud gunner (unless you disagree with Troy Brown, who called him one of the best in the league), and a servicable OLB in Guyton and finally your starting RB. I wish the Pats could have a "horrible" draft like this every year.

And besides, as has been pointed out, 09 and 10 were windfalls of talent so what's the point in lamenting the less than stellar draft that came before? I mean, really, my gripe lies in all the compensation they got for Parcells and Martin and how they missed on every single pick (besides Edwards, just dumb bad luck). THAT was a bad time for Pats drafts. The Pats almost hired BB in 1997, imagine if he had been here those additional 3 years with all those picks, the dynasty would have probably gotten rolling before Brady and 01.

Sections
Shortcuts