2009 AFC Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

2009 AFC Predictions

Its' always hard to predict what will happen during a particular NFL season. As was underscored last season, one injury to a key player can change everything. That said, here are my 2009 AFC predictions:

I. AFC WEST:

1.) San Diego Chargers (12-4):
    Not much intrigue in this division. Playing in this, the weakest division in the NFL, should guarantee the Bolts 6 victories.
         The Bolts no longer arrive and thrive via their running game. QB Philip Rivers is now The Man in the San Diego offense. LT, now in his 30s, has clearly lost a step. RB Darren Sproles, though an excellent 3rd down back, is not built for the long haul...and his carries must therefore be rationed. WRs Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson are both dangerous and effective...though both have had health issues which have slowed them in the past. 
         In the end, the play of their defense will determine how far the Bolts go, in pursuit of a SB.  

2.) Kansas City Chiefs (7-9): Too many holes to fill in 2009 for meaningful improvement. Yet, the Chiefs will be somewhat competitive. Leg injury to Matt Cassel will slow down his progression in the Chiefs' offense. Loss of TE Tony Gonzalez will the security blanket from the KC quarterback. 
         But, the KC defense will be better. DE Tyson Jackson will develop into a better player than anticipated

3.) Denver Broncos (6-10):
    Too many problems for Josh McDaniels...who is beginning to look more like the Dutch boy sticking his fingers in the dike, than an NFL head coach. Watch RB Knowshown Moreno. Hes' the key to Denvers' season

4.) Oakland Raiders (2-14):
    Just a mess in Oakland. Things will continue to go downhill in Raiderville until Uncle Al goes to that big gridiron in the sky.

II. AFC NORTH:

1.) Pittsburgh Steelers (13-3):
    Blessed with a relatively easy schedule, the Steelers have an excellent chance at returning to the SB. Much comes down to whether Ben Roethlisberger can stay healthy. Folks, theres' only one AFC team capable to stopping the Steelers...and that team plays football in Foxboro. 

2.) Baltimore Ravens (8-8):
    The Ravens seemingly have nobody for QB Joe Flacco to throw to. So, once again, they'll depend on their defense and their running game to carry them through. Veterans like Derrick Mason and Ray Lewis can't go on forever...and free agent losses to players like LB Bart Scott will take their toll. The Ravens will be in trouble in games where they fall behind early.

3.) Cincinnati Bengals (8-8):
    A mild surprise in Cincinnati...where an improved defense will make the Bengals a tougher team. 

4.) Cleveland Browns (6-10): Rebuilding again. Eric Mangini should stop messing around, and give the starting QB job to Brady Quinn. 

III. AFC SOUTH: 

1.) Indianapolis Colts (10-6): Though some prognosticators have installed the Houston Texans as surprise division winners...I can't see it while Matt Schaub is their starting QB. He's too injury prone. So...Peyton and the ponies will find a way...again. But, if Bob Sanders is gone for most of the season...and Indy fails to find an adequate LT, all bets are off

2.) Tennessee Titans (10-6):
    Though Kerry Collins had a good year in 2008, he's not the answer at QB. Vince Young will reclaim his job by mid-season...and the Titans will be a better team for it. The Titans boast the best rushing attack in the AFC. But...their defense will suffer with Albert Haynesworth.

3.) Houston Texans (8-8):
    If Matt Schaub could remain healthy for the entire season, the Texans might have a chance to win this division. But, odds are better that the sun will rise in the west...than that happening. Got to like the Texans' young, up and coming defense.

4.) Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11):
    David Gerrard is not the answer at QB. Star RB Maurice Jones-Drew is already dinged up, entering the season. Who does Gerrard have to throw to? 

IV. AFC EAST: 

1.) New England Patriots (12-4):
    For the first time in years, I'm having a hard time judging how good this team is...and can be. Their defense is a huge question mark, entering the season. My guess is that Tom Brady will be fine...but what of Wes Welker? Will 57 year old Joey Galloway be able to contribute anything at all? Is the secondary and run defense really as bad as it looked during the preseason? Time will tell. But, the one constant remains BB. For that reason, somehow, someway...the Pats should win at least a dozen games.

2.) Miami Dolphins (8-8): 
    We'll know alot about the Dolphins after their initial 3 games this season, as they face Atlanta and Indy at home, before traveling to San Diego. Anything less than a 2-1 start would seem to be an indication that the 'Fins were a flash in the pan last year. Tough schedule for Miami in 2009.

3.) NY Jets (6-10):
    Talk about tough opening stretches, the Jets play the Texans, Patriots, and Titans at home, before heading out for road games in New Orleans and Miami. Mark Sanchez had better be a fast learner.

4.) Buffalo Bills (6-10):
    Game one will tell us much about the Bills. 

Thoughts?    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarrenRyan9. Show DarrenRyan9's posts

Re: 2009 AFC Predictions

Not Bad...good work...id change a few things

West
    1. SD   11-5.....LT still has something left...Rivers is Legit
    2. KC    8-8.....Building a DEF around Dorsey and Jackson..should be good soon
    3. DEN  6-10....Poor McDaniels...good guy
    4. Oak  3-13....Interested to see what McFadden can do

North
    1. PIT  13-3.....great all around team, will be good for years
    2. BAl   9-7......Def is still great, Flacco will continue to develop
    3. CIN  8-8......This defence is much improved, Palmer nees t stay healthy
    4. CLE  3-13....I wouldnt be surprised if the won less then 3

East
    1. NE  14-2.....on the road at Indy and NO could be only blemishes
    2. MIA 8-8......Stll not sold on Miami...solid defence
    3. BUF 7-9......i like this team, just not this yr
    4. NYJ 6-10.....going to be a long season for the rook

South
    1. IND  11-5.....Still have Manning
    2. HOU 9-7.......Great young DEF
    3. TEN 9-7.......Collins is OLD...real OLD
    4. JAX 4-12......only star is Jones-Drew

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2009 AFC Predictions:
    [QUOTE]Not Bad...good work...id change a few things West 1. SD   11-5.....LT still has something left...Rivers is Legit 2. KC    8-8.....Building a DEF around Dorsey and Jackson..should be good soon 3. DEN  6-10....Poor McDaniels...good guy 4. Oak  3-13....Interested to see what McFadden can do North 1. PIT  13-3.....great all around team, will be good for years 2. BAl   9-7......Def is still great, Flacco will continue to develop 3. CIN  8-8......This defence is much improved, Palmer nees t stay healthy 4. CLE  3-13....I wouldnt be surprised if the won less then 3 East 1. NE  14-2.....on the road at Indy and NO could be only blemishes 2. MIA 8-8......Stll not sold on Miami...solid defence 3. BUF 7-9......i like this team, just not this yr 4. NYJ 6-10.....going to be a long season for the rook South 1. IND  11-5.....Still have Manning 2. HOU 9-7.......Great young DEF 3. TEN 9-7.......Collins is OLD...real OLD 4. JAX 4-12......only star is Jones-Drew
    Posted by DarrenRyan9[/QUOTE]

Lets' hope the Jaguars are actually as bad as we think they're going to be. Remember, the Pats own their 2nd round draft choice in 2010.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agentcooper. Show agentcooper's posts

Being in Houston and listening to the locals, they are very bullish on the offense, but not as optimistic as these posts about the defense. If you guys are right about the defense being improved, then 10-6 and division title looks very plausible. Dan Orlovsky and Rex Grossman are adequate backups if Shaub goes down, and there is serious talent around them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

[QUOTE]Not Bad...good work...id change a few things West 1. SD   11-5.....LT still has something left...Rivers is Legit 2. KC    8-8.....Building a DEF around Dorsey and Jackson..should be good soon 3. DEN  6-10....Poor McDaniels...good guy 4. Oak  3-13....Interested to see what McFadden can do North 1. PIT  13-3.....great all around team, will be good for years 2. BAl   9-7......Def is still great, Flacco will continue to develop 3. CIN  8-8......This defence is much improved, Palmer nees t stay healthy 4. CLE  3-13....I wouldnt be surprised if the won less then 3 East 1. NE  14-2.....on the road at Indy and NO could be only blemishes 2. MIA 8-8......Stll not sold on Miami...solid defence 3. BUF 7-9......i like this team, just not this yr 4. NYJ 6-10.....going to be a long season for the rook South 1. IND  11-5.....Still have Manning 2. HOU 9-7.......Great young DEF 3. TEN 9-7.......Collins is OLD...real OLD 4. JAX 4-12......only star is Jones-Drew
    Posted by DarrenRyan9[/QUOTE]

One slight change?
    New England Patriots will be: 16-0

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to 2009 AFC Predictions:
    [QUOTE]       Its' always hard to predict what will happen during a particular NFL season. As was underscored last season, one injury to a key player can change everything. That said, here are my 2009 AFC predictions: I. AFC WEST:      1.) San Diego Chargers (12-4): Not much intrigue in this division. Playing in this, the weakest division in the NFL, should guarantee the Bolts 6 victories.      The Bolts no longer arrive and thrive via their running game. QB Philip Rivers is now The Man in the San Diego offense. LT, now in his 30s, has clearly lost a step. RB Darren Sproles, though an excellent 3rd down back, is not built for the long haul...and his carries must therefore be rationed. WRs Malcolm Floyd and Vincent Jackson are both dangerous and effective...though both have had health issues which have slowed them in the past.       In the end, the play of their defense will determine how far the Bolts go, in pursuit of a SB.        2.) Kansas City Chiefs (7-9): Too many holes to fill in 2009 for meaningful improvement. Yet, the Chiefs will be somewhat competitive. Leg injury to Matt Cassel will slow down his progression in the Chiefs' offense. Loss of TE Tony Gonzalez will the security blanket from the KC quarterback.       But, the KC defense will be better. DE Tyson Jackson will develop into a better player than anticipated .       3.) Denver Broncos (6-10): Too many problems for Josh McDaniels...who is beginning to look more like the Dutch boy sticking his fingers in the dike, than an NFL head coach. Watch RB Knowshown Moreno. Hes' the key to Denvers' season .       4.) Oakland Raiders (2-14): Just a mess in Oakland. Things will continue to go downhill in Raiderville until Uncle Al goes to that big gridiron in the sky. II. AFC NORTH:        1.) Pittsburgh Steelers (13-3): Blessed with a relatively easy schedule, the Steelers have an excellent chance at returning to the SB. Much comes down to whether Ben Roethlisberger can stay healthy. Folks, theres' only one AFC team capable to stopping the Steelers...and that team plays football in Foxboro.        2.) Baltimore Ravens (8-8): The Ravens seemingly have nobody for QB Joe Flacco to throw to. So, once again, they'll depend on their defense and their running game to carry them through. Veterans like Derrick Mason and Ray Lewis can't go on forever...and free agent losses to players like LB Bart Scott will take their toll. The Ravens will be in trouble in games where they fall behind early .      3.) Cincinnati Bengals (8-8): A mild surprise in Cincinnati...where an improved defense will make the Bengals a tougher team.      4.) Cleveland Browns (6-10):  Rebuilding again. Eric Mangini should stop messing around, and give the starting QB job to Brady Quinn.  III. AFC SOUTH:       1.) Indianapolis Colts (10-6): Though some prognosticators have installed the Houston Texans as surprise division winners...I can't see it while Matt Schaub is their starting QB. He's too injury prone. So...Peyton and the ponies will find a way...again. But, if Bob Sanders is gone for most of the season...and Indy fails to find an adequate LT, all bets are off .       2.) Tennessee Titans (10-6): Though Kerry Collins had a good year in 2008, he's not the answer at QB. Vince Young will reclaim his job by mid-season...and the Titans will be a better team for it. The Titans boast the best rushing attack in the AFC. But...their defense will suffer with Albert Haynesworth .        3.) Houston Texans (8-8): If Matt Schaub could remain healthy for the entire season, the Texans might have a chance to win this division. But, odds are better that the sun will rise in the west...than that happening. Got to like the Texans' young, up and coming defense .      4.) Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11): David Gerrard is not the answer at QB. Star RB Maurice Jones-Drew is already dinged up, entering the season. Who does Gerrard have to throw to?  IV. AFC EAST:       1.) New England Patriots (12-4): For the first time in years, I'm having a hard time judging how good this team is...and can be. Their defense is a huge question mark, entering the season. My guess is that Tom Brady will be fine...but what of Wes Welker? Will 57 year old Joey Galloway be able to contribute anything at all? Is the secondary and run defense really as bad as it looked during the preseason? Time will tell. But, the one constant remains BB. For that reason, somehow, someway...the Pats should win at least a dozen games .      2.) Miami Dolphins (8-8):  We'll know alot about the Dolphins after their initial 3 games this season, as they face Atlanta and Indy at home, before traveling to San Diego. Anything less than a 2-1 start would seem to be an indication that the 'Fins were a flash in the pan last year. Tough schedule for Miami in 2009 .      3.) NY Jets (6-10): Talk about tough opening stretches, the Jets play the Texans, Patriots, and Titans at home, before heading out for road games in New Orleans and Miami. Mark Sanchez had better be a fast learner .      4.) Buffalo Bills (6-10): Game one will tell us much about the Bills.       Thoughts?                             
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

The only things I would change are Baltimore going 10-6 while Tennsese goes 8-8. Tennesse has 0 offense and their defense took a hit from losing Haynesworth. He affected their pass rush deeply. Without him, QBs will have fun with their mediocre CBs. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Being in Houston and listening to the locals, they are very bullish on the offense, but not as optimistic as these posts about the defense. If you guys are right about the defense being improved, then 10-6 and division title looks very plausible. Dan Orlovsky and Rex Grossman are adequate backups if Shaub goes down, and there is serious talent around them.
    Posted by agentcooper[/QUOTE]

When discussing Shaub, the question is "when" he go down...not if. Have you  seen any other players tweak his ankle while running out of bounds?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In the end, the play of their defense will determine how far the Bolts go, in pursuit of a SB.

That really sums it up. We know their offense can put points on the board. Since they do play in a weak division, making the playoffs will only require a mild improvement on defense. We'll see how well Merriman bounces back without the juice. But their biggest obstacle to a Lombardi remains Norv Turner (and two AFC teams, Pittsburgh and NE).

So, once again, they'll depend on their defense and their running game to carry them through. Veterans like Derrick Mason and Ray Lewis can't go on forever...and free agent losses to players like LB Bart Scott will take their toll.

Flacco is pretty good, but he is hamstrung by a lack of decent WRs. He will have to play smart and not lose games. The defense is truly their strength, and they have a good running game. also. But I'm wondering if the defense won't suffer more from the loss of Ryan than any of the players who left. I can see them getting 10 wins and a WC spot...if things go their way. They still cannot seem to beat the Steelers, and that should keep them from getting another ring, at least for now.

If Matt Schaub could remain healthy for the entire season, the Texans might have a chance to win this division.

He is already injured, and the season hasn't even started yet! I'm not buying the media's hype of the Texans, either.

Anything less than a 2-1 start would seem to be an indication that the 'Fins were a flash in the pan last year. Tough schedule for Miami in 2009.

Though I think the Fins have improved under Parcells, they won't duplicate their success from 08. Not only did they have an easy schedule, they also had the least injuries in the entire league. Odds are against them being as lucky this time around. Plus their winning the division puts the Chargers and Steelers on their schedule. They may finish second in the division, but I don't see them playing in January.

Game one will tell us much about the Bills. 

I'm going to wait until November. By then Owens will be frustrated by Edwards not getting him the ball (being on his back so much) that he will start griping. Dick Jauron will surely be unemployed by the first week of the new year!

Dan Orlovsky and Rex Grossman are adequate backups if Shaub goes down

I'll forgive you this, as at 1:30 AM you were probably pretty drunk!

New England Patriots will be: 16-0

Pretty long odds against that. So many things have to fall into place to go undefeated. That's why it's only happened twice since the 1930s. Vegas may give you less odds of the Lions winning the SB! It would be nice, but I sincerely doubt it. In any case, I don't care about 16-0. I just want them to win that last game...in February!

Tennesse has 0 offense and their defense took a hit from losing Haynesworth. He affected their pass rush deeply. Without him, QBs will have fun with their mediocre CBs. 

I disagree. The Titans have a pretty good ground game. And their DBs are opportunistic. Plus they have Vanden Bosch healthy again, and he will help ease the pain of losing Haynesworth. Collins is no Brady, but he plays smart, and still has a decent arm. If he doesn't get injured they should be alright. Will they beat the Colts for the division? I don't know, it depends on how well Indy handles the changes there. LT is an issue in Coltsland, and they will have problems if they cannot protect Peyton. This will be a race to watch, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

(I truely admire the quality of the initial post and all these replies!)

My only additional thoughts:

- Miami.  "The first three games will tell us if they were a flash in the pan....."
    No and yes. I see your point - they start the season against (2008) high caliber competition,all teams with (2009) high expectations. But I've also seen that it's how you finish...  not how you start.  So "at the end of the day" the first three weeks will tell us...  a lot about how they'll do week 4. You would think. They started 0-2 and 2-4 last year...  and wound up 11-5. (Again, your point? was it the schedule?)   The Jets...  many years started great and fizzled.  That's my only point. (But I do realize you were talking about the quality of their first 3 opponents - playoff teams...  not about what will their record be, necessarily.)

- Colts.   I could easily see a total implosion. Yes, the new coach is the same as the old coach...  from within the organization...  Dungy trained..  yada yada yada. But still  NEW COACH.   Harrison gone (ok, maybe he's been gone for years. But now he's REALLY gone.) No OL.  No RB. ( Adai was a flash in the pan and Maroney will prove to have been the better choice, long term) Defense suspect, hinging on  the hourly health forcast of samll safety Sanders.  Did I mention NEW COACH. I just feel it in the wind. Colts being a surprise disappointment.

REALLY admire "y'alls" league wide knowledge. It's all I can do to keep upwith one team, letalone all of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Shawne Merriman situation, along with the Seymour trade, may cause me to slightly re-evaluate my AFC predictions. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xavyre. Show xavyre's posts

Everyone always relies on last year's standing to make predictions.

I. AFC WEST:

1.) San Diego Chargers

2.) Denver Broncos
         3.) Oakland Raiders
         4.)
    Kansas City Chiefs

II. AFC NORTH:

1.)
    Baltimore Ravens
         2.)
    Cincinnati Bengals
         3.) Pittsburgh Steelers
        4.) Cleveland Browns

III. AFC SOUTH: 

1.) Houston Texans
         2.) Jacksonville Jaguars
         3.) Tennessee Titans
         4.) Indianapolis Colts

IV. AFC EAST: 

1.) New England Patriots
    (15-1)
         2.)
    NY Jets
         3.) Buffalo Bills
         4.)
    Miami Dolphins

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Highly respected sports columnist Rich Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News has picked the Pats to win the AFC title...and then go on to win the SB: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/preview/stories/091009dnspocow-gosselincol.34f0b15.html

Sections
Shortcuts