2009 "D" as prolific as 2007 "O"?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Just my guess, but I think Al Johnson will see some time at G next season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Looks like its going to be a nice year in Patriot land again. Rel;aod for another Super Bowl. I haven't seen any other team add more depth than the patriots so far. they get peppers and some young speedy LBs, they ought to run the table again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think it is safe to say that Williams had made the team last season prior to his innjury. Yes, of course he could be injured again. But a 225+ SS will always have a job in sub packages here.

But I hear what you are saying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yes,Williams.

The point is that BB and others have used playeres like him,Harrison, and Roy Williams as SS/LB tweeners in these types of setups,

I would stick anyone out there but Bruschi. He can't cover enough ground in a four linebacker set, so forget about playing ILB in a 43.

Guyton has major issues in coverage, so until I see that improve he is a thrasher for running downs.

Maybe keeping Mayo, and bringing in Crable would work.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Hey Z
    What? CB type safties?
    So much for BB not having plans for the BIG safety. I know it's just a package but what a package it could be. Get us Chung or S. Smith!!!
    I see P.Chung and A. Smith as players just looking for a stage. Could this put Nick Harris back on our map?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

with bodden and springs, meriweather having another year under his belt, i think our CB/S unit will be much better than last year, maybe even better than 07. that should give us enough comfort to do some really tricky things up front. dropping extra men in coverage to mess around with the passing game while still putting huge pressure on the QB would be nice.

i think it also allows the front line to rush harder and really go for the QB more than we saw.

I really hope that when the 09-10 season is done, the word that comes to mind when I think of our defense is "ferocious"...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

If Peppers can make a switch to OLB, and NE trades up to get Rey Maualuga that would give NE . . .

Mayo, Thomas, Peppers, and RM, with Sey, Fork, and Warren up front. Surely it is the best 3-4 front out there right?

OK, so now think . . .

Jarvis Green, Warren, Sey and Peppers, with Mayo, Adalius and maybe someone like Tank Johnson to pay CF type ILB would be arguably the best front seven among 4-3 teams as well.

Assuming these moves . . .will this defense be the equivalent in dominance of the 2007 offense???

I understand it starts with two ifs, but assume that they come true. Would the comparison (on paper) be valid?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

the RB's are definiately better with the addition of taylor and the TE's are better (we finally have a blocking TE in baker) and i think galloway/lewis are better than stallworth (always injured) we just need to draft a few players for the offensive line. Al Johnson was a great pick up to provide depth and we still have Mark levoir (at least one of these 2 are starting caliber). we need to pick up someone to take Neal's place on the line because he is always injured (although he plays great when healthy) I think the combination of maroney and Taylor is going to light it up similar to maroney/dillion. our offense is gonna be great.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I remember last season posters were having discussions on Tank Williams, let's see if he makes it out of training camp injury free before we put him in real games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rf24fox. Show rf24fox's posts

Bruschi will still be a starter I feel. Especially with Vrabel in Kansas City. You need that vetern presence.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Actually I think a move like this really frees up the safeties in general to be lighter. the front seven with Peppers (and adding RM) will essentially be a bullet proof run defense.

However, a player like a Nic Harris or a Tank Williams does become that option later on for sub packages.

But like said in the Nic Harris talks, why draft harris. Right now there are two ro three guys like him waiting to be signed. Ne just got one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

I think its safe to say that if Peppers is a Patriot Bruschi will have to be cut to save salary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]Pats i am not so sure the uncapped year will work in our favour the way you suggest but if you could (no offense) prove that what you said would work then i would be all for it.[/Quote]

Not as easy as I thought but if it happens the pats wouldn't be able to sign as many free agents but it does not talk about resigning their guys. Why are we signing so many this year?

Hey, I do know that if it's possible BB has already thought about it and is ahead of most other teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/131420-why-the-nfl-and-the-nflpa-will-never-allow-an-uncapped-2010-season

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Pats,

That is the question of the thread. Really. Will this hypothetical defense compare to the offensive juggernaut NE fielded in 2007?

And if so, what kind of team are they fielding in 2010? Historic?

On paper, this team would compare favorably with the monster NFC teams that cropped up just before the NFL instituted a salary cap. It would really have that many stars.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself with this thread moss. I am not saying you dont make good points im just saying we are jumpng the gun.

I know i keep coming back to this but as right as you are about how nasty our D will be THIS year we will only get one year out of those players cause guys liek Wilfork and Seymore will be pissed fi Peppers gets a deal while they siot around waiting for a new deal. We can not afford to lose Wilfork, nose tackles as good as Wilfork are hard to find.[/Quote]

MVP,

I think Wilfork and Seymore will be happy and this is why, IMO. Next year as we all know will be a none capped year. Knowing the pats are in a bit of cap trouble (not having enough to sign them all) they will probably wait until next year sign a large deal get most of that money up front and receive close to Vet minimum every year of the contract. If I was a player I wouldn't mind this type of contract. This will not only give the Pats the ability to sign Peppers now but give both of those guys possibly a bigger contract and more money upfront. I think this year is about bringing guys in and get ready for the SB run.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Thanks for responding, if anyone can make it work its Belichick.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

really Philly because if i remember this past season correctly we did replace Brady pretty good while he was on IR so he might just be replaceible. I am just saying. What it coems down to man is this is about building a team not collecting talent and Mankins and Wilfork are the future of our lines, the o line and teh D line. Mankins is the best LG in football and if we cant get a deal done we will tag him so im not worried quite yet for him and Seymore leaving wouldnt be the end of the world at this point in his career but we will lose Wilfork if we give Peppers the deal Wilfork earned. Wilfork earned teh deal Peppers will get and thats not right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Pats i am not so sure the uncapped year will work in our favour the way you suggest but if you could (no offense) prove that what you said would work then i would be all for it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Tank hasnt really proved anything.he has never really been that good.I heard in other threads about should the pats go after derrick brooks,and some pointed out he was to small to be a pats LB.so how could a 220-225lb safety be that much better playing LB?if the pats dont sign peppers.then they will need jason taylor,or someone like him to give the pats a pass rush.crable,or guyton are not proven,or are they the anwser until proven.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself with this thread moss. I am not saying you dont make good points im just saying we are jumpng the gun.

I know i keep coming back to this but as right as you are about how nasty our D will be THIS year we will only get one year out of those players cause guys liek Wilfork and Seymore will be pissed fi Peppers gets a deal while they siot around waiting for a new deal. We can not afford to lose Wilfork, nose tackles as good as Wilfork are hard to find.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

Why does everybody keep thinking that it has to come down to a choice between Peppers and Wilfork/Sey/Mankins?

At most this move would maybe mean that they lose out on one of them given whoever that is will be chasing the big bucks. Are these guys (especially Mankins) even "irreplacable"? There are fresh young (and cheap) legs comming into the league every year and the Pats are particularly adept at plucking talent out of the draft.

IF this goes down it won't blow up the roster or anything. Losing some of your best players is part of FA - as is aquiring some other teams' best players along the way.

The only player close to irreplacable in Mr. Brady and he isn't going anywhere.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]

I remember last season posters were having discussions on Tank Williams, let's see if he makes it out of training camp injury free before we put him in real games.

[/Quote]

Yeah, God forbid he should suffer a season ending knee injury in the preseason! What were we thinking! We should have seen that coming!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[Quote]Why does everybody keep thinking that it has to come down to a choice between Peppers and Wilfork/Sey/Mankins?

At most this move would maybe mean that they lose out on one of them given whoever that is will be chasing the big bucks. Are these guys (especially Mankins) even "irreplacable"? There are fresh young (and cheap) legs comming into the league every year and the Pats are particularly adept at plucking talent out of the draft.

IF this goes down it won't blow up the roster or anything. Losing some of your best players is part of FA - as is aquiring some other teams' best players along the way.

The only player close to irreplacable in Mr. Brady and he isn't going anywhere.
    [/Quote]

If the Pats get Peppers, I am thinking that they are going to draft O-line and D-line on the first day.....possible replacements for Seymour and or Wilfork and or Mankins.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Pats7393, very interesting point. They could definately front-load a huge percentage of Mankins and Wilforks contracts, so the 2 of them get all their money in year 1, which is non-coincidentally an uncapped year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I don't think there's a question that even if the Pats don't get Peppers they will be much more improved than last year. They are that one piece away of a good pass rusher whether Peppers comes or BB drafts a couple of guys (Barwin, English) the Pats D will not give up points this year.

Now, how will the offence rebound? They were pretty good without TB, if he's back at 100% or 2007 form it will be a scary thought for every team facing the 09 Pats, SB rematch? NY Giants against NE Patriots, I think we are one pass rusher away. Oh and a LT too.