2009 draft reassessment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

2009 draft reassessment

we've all been thinking how the last two drafts were awesome but if you take a look back at the 09 draft now its not quite as rosey an outlook
    chung looks good
    brace isn't getting blown off the ball like last year but bruschi said he's getting turned and not playing good 2 gap technique
    butler has regressed
    vollmer struggled mightily against wake last week-
    tate is an awesome returner but is yet to be tested as a primary threat as a receiver
    mckenzie ohrenberger havent shown anything
    edelmann not playing lots of snaps
    so, unfortunately, this draft might not be all it was cracked up to be

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: 2009 draft reassessment

In evaluating a draft..give it 3 years,,then either post your comments or run to the next whine session.....ohh myy   a fast midget d-line mn beat vollmer...vollmer must be bad... edelman doesnt play alot..(maybe because hernandez is)...butler sux...(at least he is near the wideout when the play is completed.(unlike hobbs wilhite etc....) brace is improving (and maybe maturing).........Patience boy...pats are on right track

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Compared to '06, '07 and '08, the 2009 draft was a lot better.  Scott Pioli was running the show in '06, '07, and '08.  Who do we have left from those years?

'06 Stephen Gostkowski
    '07 Brandon Meriweather (Welker was acquired for our 2nd)
    '08 Mayo, Wheatley, Wilhite, Crable, Slater - 1 stud, 4 duds

BB has done a much better job selecting players in 2009 and 2010 and has mastered the moving around and acquiring additional picks.  No team massages a draft board better than BB.

As for '09 Chung is looking like a Pro Bowler already.  Edelman is Welker's back up, of course he isn't playing as much, besides he was a 7th round pick.  We should be delighted to have him if Welker goes down again or needs a rest.  We also drafted Jake Ingram in the 6th round and he has been nothing short of sensational as a long snapper replacing Lonnie Paxton.  If Tate does nothing more than return kicks to the house, who cares?  He is helping us win the field position game.  Vollmer had one bad game but a ton of solid ones.  Pryor has been a pretty steady situational D lineman too.  All in all, the '09 draft was solid considering we didn't select anyone in the 1st round.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to 2009 draft reassessment:
    [QUOTE]we've all been thinking how the last two drafts were awesome but if you take a look back at the 09 draft now its not quite as rosey an outlook chung looks good brace isn't getting blown off the ball like last year but bruschi said he's getting turned and not playing good 2 gap technique butler has regressed vollmer struggled mightily against wake last week- tate is an awesome returner but is yet to be tested as a primary threat as a receiver mckenzie ohrenberger havent shown anything edelmann not playing lots of snaps so, unfortunately, this draft might not be all it was cracked up to be
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

I guess it all depends on your definition of "awesome".  Chung, Vollmer, Brace and Tate are running with the 1's while Edelman has shown the ability to produce when called upon (see 2010 playoff game vs. Baltimore); there just haven't been enough footballs to go around with the weapons they have on offense.

Myron Pryor has also seen a good amount of time in the DL rotation and Jake Ingram is doing what he was drafted to do.

Butler and possibly McKenzie have been the only real disappointments so far.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: 2009 draft reassessment:
    [QUOTE]http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3af17ca2e9-a1c8-44c5-ae5f-71178ee3c511 I said it all before and everyone tore me a new one. Now bend over and get the lube ready.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Everyone loves to hear a premature I told you so ending when the story ain't even over yet.  That's us sorted out I guess.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You can only be disappointed if you have overblown expectations ! I don't expect anything from any draft choice except for them to give it their best shot and thus far I'm not sure that any of these so called failures or busts haven't done just that. I have never played NFL caliber football but I'll just go out on a limb and guess it's a lot harder than it looks on TV. I also haven't tried to perform surgery either nor have I played any of these roles in a TV show, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

What kind of posting is this?  Second years players starting and playing important roles!!! They have done great.  What other team has so many 2009 draft picks starting??   Brace is getting better.  Chung is great.  Ingram is doing  a good job.  Tate is getting better every week.  Pryor is part of a steady rotation.  Edelman had a injury which has slowed up his progress.  Vollmer is the starting and playing strong.  Butler will be fine once he gets over the current bad stretch.  He is always close to the ball just missing by a bit.  This will come.  Wake up!!!!   This is the future!!!  It is looking good to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2009 draft reassessment : What are you talking about? Jake Ingram has been spotty this season. I count atleast 3 botched snaps, all of them just barely pulled in by Zoltan and an adjustment made by Gostowski in his run-up. 2 of them happened last week on MNF.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats brought in another LS to try out soon.

There goes the draft class, the 6th round LS hasn't been 100% accurate this season.  All he's done to date is win the position out of camp as a rookie against a veteran (Nathan Hodel) in 2009 and again won the job this year, so he's doing something right.  There will be adjustments that need to be made (especially with a new holder) like at any other position on the field.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Compared to '06, '07 and '08, the 2009 draft was a lot better.  Scott Pioli was running the show in '06, '07, and '08.  Who do we have left from those years? '06 Stephen Gostkowski '07 Brandon Meriweather (Welker was acquired for our 2nd) '08 Mayo, Wheatley, Wilhite, Crable, Slater - 1 stud, 4 duds BB has done a much better job selecting players in 2009 and 2010 and has mastered the moving around and acquiring additional picks.  No team massages a draft board better than BB. As for '09 Chung is looking like a Pro Bowler already.  Edelman is Welker's back up, of course he isn't playing as much, besides he was a 7th round pick.  We should be delighted to have him if Welker goes down again or needs a rest.  We also drafted Jake Ingram in the 6th round and he has been nothing short of sensational as a long snapper replacing Lonnie Paxton.  If Tate does nothing more than return kicks to the house, who cares?  He is helping us win the field position game.  Vollmer had one bad game but a ton of solid ones.  Pryor has been a pretty steady situational D lineman too.  All in all, the '09 draft was solid considering we didn't select anyone in the 1st round.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]
    I'm tuff on Mayo, I'm quite honestly not sure if I'm right, but I think he's been average at best. Now I know he's turned it up the past two weeks, but to me he doesn't make plays in the backfield. He does'nt take on blocks very well, pass rush well, cover well, and it looks like a lot of his plays come 10 yards down the field. He's explosive for sure and hits with power, but I want more. 

Am I wrong? Hell I probably am, but tell me what he does that makes him a stud. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

If the purpose of this thread was to bash the Patriot Organization then congratulations mission accomplished. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2009 draft reassessment : What are you talking about? Jake Ingram has been spotty this season. I count atleast 3 botched snaps, all of them just barely pulled in by Zoltan and an adjustment made by Gostowski in his run-up. 2 of them happened last week on MNF.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats brought in another LS to try out soon.

Wow 3 bad snaps, 2 in one game. What ever shall we do? Every player is bound to have at least 1 bad game and over the last season and a quarter Ingram has been one of the best LS's on the field. Ghost had a couple bad games, do you want to dump him too?

As for judging the picks after a season and a quarter, really are you serious? It takes about 3 yrs to determine a drafts value.

As BB has said WR and CB are two of the hardest positions to translate from college to pro's. Typically most cb's take 2-4yrs to come into their own. Even WR's take 2-4yrs. Tate's just started to play after recovering most of last year. Butler still has tons of talent and the ability to play. Just need to give him time. Brace is coming around and showing signs of steady improvement. And yes Vollmer looked bad against Wake but Wake is a good rusher while they were also doubling up on Vollmer.

Seriously you never heard of the sophomore slump? Give them some time and they will improve.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]What kind of posting is this?  Second years players starting and playing important roles!!! They have done great.  What other team has so many 2009 draft picks starting??   Brace is getting better.  Chung is great.  Ingram is doing  a good job.  Tate is getting better every week.  Pryor is part of a steady rotation.  Edelman had a injury which has slowed up his progress.  Vollmer is the starting and playing strong.  Butler will be fine once he gets over the current bad stretch.  He is always close to the ball just missing by a bit.  This will come.  Wake up!!!!   This is the future!!!  It is looking good to me.
    Posted by msteven[/QUOTE]

and winning somehow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"There goes the draft class, the 6th round LS hasn't been 100% accurate this season."

PRE-cisely...you said it all.  IF you're NOT as disappointed in the 2009 NE Draft Class, at absolute and total worst, Securing The Pats's Franchise nothin' more than Wilfork's inevitable replacement, Welker's inevitable replacement, a starting #2 possession wideout and kickoff returner, a starting Safety in the mold of Rodney Harrison, at worse- A starting Offensive Tackle ONLY on the Right side of the O-Line, a 2nd year pro who's JUST MERELY a competant substitute for the Defensive Line, a 2nd year CB who just may NOT be 1 of the 2 starting CBs...but just some crummy real good nickel cornerback, AND need I even freakin' mention a long snapper with not just 1, 2, BUT 3! bad snaps (I mean, I'm not sure any of those resulted in a turnover, or failed score, But STILL, sheez...3 I say!!!). 

What IS that?!?!  Well, I'll be the first ta tell ya Exactly WHAT it is:  13 month NFL pros of a wasted draft class, yielding merely 3 starters, 1 starter in sub packages, 2 special team players (ya, ya, ya- one of 'em looks amazing, Yet that OTHER one has nearly, although not, almost messed up 3 times!), 2 2nd year lo$ers who are NOTHIN' more than the first substitutes and for 2 pro bowlers and have shown that they do have the potential to replace those 2 pro-bowlers when the time inevitably comes, AND (and this is what you should focus on)- 1 2nd year guy who's merely in the defensive line rotation, but who sees the BENCH more than anything else...pssh, wasted 7th round selection.

IF, at the TOTAL best, you're merely nabbin' 6 future starters, 1-2 substitutes, and 1-2 special teamers in 1 ENTIRE draft, we-heh-heyell....well, it don't take a genius to tell'ya that you're nabbin' j#ck-sh#t. 
         Not just a waste of MY time, But a waste of this franchise's time, space, energy, and potential with this ENTIRE 2009 NFL draft class!    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ravensfanshateyou. Show Ravensfanshateyou's posts

Really?!?! I feel sorry for any team that doesnt have a good gm and the pats dont! I mean you cant even resign mankins and that was a no brainer! How do you expect to run a draft?? Stupid cheetahs traded away the greatest reciever since jerry rice......In Response to 2009 draft reassessment:
    [QUOTE]we've all been thinking how the last two drafts were awesome but if you take a look back at the 09 draft now its not quite as rosey an outlook chung looks good brace isn't getting blown off the ball like last year but bruschi said he's getting turned and not playing good 2 gap technique butler has regressed vollmer struggled mightily against wake last week- tate is an awesome returner but is yet to be tested as a primary threat as a receiver mckenzie ohrenberger havent shown anything edelmann not playing lots of snaps so, unfortunately, this draft might not be all it was cracked up to be
    Posted by sirpinochle[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Awesome. A Ravens/Felons troll in here bragging. Ignore.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ravensfanshateyou. Show Ravensfanshateyou's posts

is a troll what you guys from boston call another fellows wanger? If so I bet you there are a lot of troll spankers in beantown...  You must really think the patriots have a chance on sunday...flmfao! In Response to Re: 2009 draft reassessment:
    [QUOTE]Awesome. A Ravens/Felons troll in here bragging. Ignore.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

[QUOTE]is a troll what you guys from boston call another fellows wanger? If so I bet you there are a lot of troll spankers in beantown...  You must really think the patriots have a chance on sunday...flmfao! In Response to Re: 2009 draft reassessment :
    Posted by Ravensfanshateyou[/QUOTE]..i guess they only come out when they're about to play you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

well, dudes, i couldnt find the stats on google just now but vollmer has allowed more pressures than he did all last year already. it is funny that the guy people were hardest on- chung- may be the only important and regular contributor

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

I think Vollmer played better as a Left Tackle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

you should wait 3-4 years before evaluating a draft.  General consensus.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Another rush to judgment thread; how edifying.  4 games into their second season in the pros and the guys aren't world beaters?  That Belichick doesn't know squat about talent, does he?