2009 Patriots Offense Vs. 2007 Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

2009 Patriots Offense Vs. 2007 Team

I think the Patriots' offense will do well, but I don't think they will score as many touchdowns as 2007. The main reason is because teams have already learned how to adjust to the Patriots' offense. They are willing to be aggressive with Moss at the line, double team, and/or have someone play deep to prevent the long ball.  They're willing to give up short yardage to Welker and company.

If the Patriots are going to score more touchdowns in 2009 vs. 2007 - I think they'll have to mix things up - and have Galloway and Welker go on long routes - to confuse the opponents' defense - or at least to keep them off balance by being less predictable.

IMHO, in the end - if the Patriots want a run at the SB - their D will have to improve vs. last year.

Regardless, I am stoked about another season of football - it's a shame that it's so far away!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Re: 2009 Patriots Offense Vs. 2007 Team

It's unrealistic to think the team is going to score more touchdowns.  I think the offense could still be better though.  As you mention, teams have really figured out how to adjust to Moss and, to a lesser extent, Welker.
    However, by adding new pieces, a new coordinator and more time in the system for Moss and Welker the offense could still be just as dangerous - if not more.  I think in the long run the offense was hurt by scoring so much in 2007.  They didn't have much close game experiance and had not struggled to put points on the board all season. 
    In 2009 you're going to see a much more methodical approach to getting first downs and setting up scoring situations.  I really like what we have but the question for me is whether the defense will be able to stop late game drives that have plagued the team as of late.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Santino:

Long time no see!! I agree with you. The Patriots' 2009 offense has the potential to be a paradox: more potent (in terms of total weapons) than in 2007, but scoring much less but in a wider variety of ways - which, IMHO, will stand them in good stead when they play the games that count the most: in January, 2010.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

I think the Patriots' offense will do well, but I don't think they will score as many touchdowns as 2007. The main reason is because teams have already learned how to adjust to the Patriots' offense. They are willing to be aggressive with Moss at the line, double team, and/or have someone play deep to prevent the long ball.  They're willing to give up short yardage to Welker and company. If the Patriots are going to score more touchdowns in 2009 vs. 2007 - I think they'll have to mix things up - and have Galloway and Welker go on long routes - to confuse the opponents' defense - or at least to keep them off balance by being less predictable. IMHO, in the end - if the Patriots want a run at the SB - their D will have to improve vs. last year. Regardless, I am stoked about another season of football - it's a shame that it's so far away!!
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

IMO based on your scenario with doubles on Moss with Welker and Galloway going long it will open up the running lanes and short passes. Don't forget Lewis he's larger than Welker and plays the middle of the field much as Welker and punishes DBs and linebackers. Also Fred Taylor is a punishing RB, if he remains healthy IMO they'll do just fine.  The Defense has and will change dramatically prior to opening day with numerous new faces. There are players with upside in both this draft and last years that will make the team improving gaining experience with more playing time.

GO PATS!! What say you??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

People will be surprised at how much the Patriots will run in 2009.

I think the 2009 offense will be better than the 2007, and I think you'll see more game-control and, as a result of that, perhaps a few less touchdowns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Belenus - yes, I've been getting the fever to come back on as of late!  Hope I didn't miss too much action.

As much as the sexier positions (WR, QB, RB) have seemingly improved; the big story to me is that the offensive line has remained the same.  Now we also have some young blood that could potentially be less expensive replacements for Kazcur and maybe even Koppen down the line.  The interior is going to be crucial now that the trend is to blitz up the gut.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Belenus - yes, I've been getting the fever to come back on as of late!  Hope I didn't miss too much action. As much as the sexier positions (WR, QB, RB) have seemingly improved; the big story to me is that the offensive line has remained the same.   Now we also have some young blood that could potentially be less expensive replacements for Kazcur and maybe even Koppen down the line.   The interior is going to be crucial now that the trend is to blitz up the gut.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

True, not only blitzing up the gut....but possibly angling to blind side TB and hit him in the knee again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Vollmer could be a factor on the 2009 offensive line. Less likely, but Orhnberger could, as well. O'Cal might step up his game, too. I think the Patriots OL played very well in the second half of last season. They did not lose anyone and even brought in some players that could possibly improve it.

Don't forget about the TEs. The improvement of that position will help every aspect of the offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

It's unrealistic to think the team is going to score more touchdowns.  I think the offense could still be better though.  As you mention, teams have really figured out how to adjust to Moss and, to a lesser extent, Welker. However, by adding new pieces, a new coordinator and more time in the system for Moss and Welker the offense could still be just as dangerous - if not more.  I think in the long run the offense was hurt by scoring so much in 2007.  They didn't have much close game experiance and had not struggled to put points on the board all season.  In 2009 you're going to see a much more methodical approach to getting first downs and setting up scoring situations.  I really like what we have but the question for me is whether the defense will be able to stop late game drives that have plagued the team as of late.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

Uhh, how are 111 catches and almost 1200 yards of offense by welker alone
    an example of  how "teams have really figured out how to adjust to Moss and, to a lesser extent, Welker." ?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Uhh, how are 111 catches and almost 1200 yards of offense by welker alone an example of  how " teams have really figured out how to adjust to Moss and, to a lesser extent, Welker ." ?
    Posted by unclealfie

In fairness, you're 100% correct that Welkers numbers haven't slowed one bit.  What I mean is defenses are varying their coverage enough now that it's not going to be as easy to just choose one or the other.  Two years ago teams were doubling Moss, but still allowing him to get 50 yards down the field, and giving Welker 5-10 yards of free roaming space without putting a hand on him.  I just don't see that video game scenario taking place between the two.

It's not just the coverage either.  Rex Ryan is going to have unbalanced defensive line schemes that put quick pressure on Brady so you know all defenders are going to be around Welker and Faulk.

As I said initially, the internal logistics appear to have improved quite a bit between new players and better overall chemistry.  The other side to the coin is that teams have a lot more film to look at to get creative with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The Pats had the sixth best rushing attack last year (and fifth was some team with a guy named Adrian Peterson....whoever the hell that is). Point being we could see a more balanced offense than the 07 aerial assault and, with Brady coming off a serious injury, it would make sense in many ways. The best way to negate the blitz is establish the run and short to intermediate passing game. Quick slants, strongside sweeps, short screens and traps are difficult to defend when you got 7 guys in the box and nearly all are out to get Brady (he can still probably make hot reads with the best of them). Rex Ryan talks like he's going to bring back the 4-6 85 Bears D and destroy everyone: two major problems 1) the game has evolved since then (why it only worked one year) and 2) he doesn't have the personel to do it.

I like the Pats stable of backs alot and the acquisitions on O give the Pats more flexibility on O. '07 was nice for the record books, but 09 will be more balanced with fewer blowouts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

To me, the biggest obstacle to overcome will be the loss of McDanials.
    I guess we will find out how much impact he truly had on the offense.
    He is a proven playcaller and scheme maker.
    Bill O'Brien is not. He OC'ed some awesome Duke offenses though (in fairness, that was more OC experience than Josh had when he took over),
    The core of the 2007 offense is essentially unchanged (Stallworth/Gaffney gone, about it.). They are "known" commodities which we know can perform.
    O'Brien is the big unknown and has not proven anything yet, so to me he is the question mark. At least they still have Scarrneccia (sp ?) and who knows how much BB will have his hand in the O.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I have to agree with most of the posts.  Their offense may actually be better this year, but they won't put up the numbers they did in 2007.  Teams did adjust to them near the end of 2007 and their wins were not so easy.  That said, they still put up good numbers in the last games, but not record-setting numbers.  In other words, had they played all season the way they played the last 5 or 6 games of 2007, they would have still been a very good offense, but probably wouldn't have broken any/many records.

I'm looking forward to this year.  I think we're in for an exciting year.  Of course, this assumes we aren't ravaged by injuries.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I'd say they could be pretty much the same. They replaced the WRs who are gone, and added Taylor to the running game. Maybe they won't score as many points, but with Brady back they should be at the top of the list on O. I am also more concerned with the defense. In the SB years it was they who won the close games in the 4th quarter. I've been saying for a while that they need to replace Willie Mac's big plays. So far nobody has stepped up and done so. That being said, I still like the new faces on D. Mayo and Merriweather seem to be upcoming stars, let's hope guys like Butler and Chung can do as well. I agree with those who believe they will be running the ball more. If Taylor can stay healthy he is a great addition. I don't think it's realistic to assume they will score as many TDs as 07, but it could be close. If the defense can cause more turnovers it would help out a lot. I'm also anxious to see how the new TEs do. Watson and Thomas (IMO) have been a bit disappointing. I expect Moss and Welker to both do well, as usual. The play of the O-line will be critical for the success of the O. Let's just hope that we don't have to deal with the injuries that we did last season!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

don't forget how better defense gets the offense back onto the field faster as well...Little doubt that the defense will be much better with corner and safety much improved.  I trust LB's are going to better than everyone fears as well.  BB would not have dumped vrbel and passed on All those available LB's if he was worried.  IN BB we trust.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Belenus - yes, I've been getting the fever to come back on as of late!  Hope I didn't miss too much action. As much as the sexier positions (WR, QB, RB) have seemingly improved; the big story to me is that the offensive line has remained the same.   Now we also have some young blood that could potentially be less expensive replacements for Kazcur and maybe even Koppen down the line.   The interior is going to be crucial now that the trend is to blitz up the gut.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione

Um, the Pats have upgraded their TE's for more protection on the blitz in throwing downs.  Brady's injury was an accident, Morris should have sat on the guy he was trying to block.....

And that same O-line that gave up the season's most sacks last year has not changed, but they still remain one of the best O-lines in the game with Brady's help.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Vollmer could be a factor on the 2009 offensive line. Less likely, but Orhnberger could, as well. O'Cal might step up his game, too. I think the Patriots OL played very well in the second half of last season. They did not lose anyone and even brought in some players that could possibly improve it. Don't forget about the TEs. The improvement of that position will help every aspect of the offense.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

Teh QB helps the o-line a ton....that is another thing that proves how much better Brady is than Cassel....picking up the Blitz better, better pocket awareness, better moving in the pocket, knows when to throw the ball away, and quick release....all these aspects of Brady's game is why the O-line is better when he is in the game than Cassel.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

To me, the biggest obstacle to overcome will be the loss of McDanials. I guess we will find out how much impact he truly had on the offense. He is a proven playcaller and scheme maker. Bill O'Brien is not. He OC'ed some awesome Duke offenses though (in fairness, that was more OC experience than Josh had when he took over), The core of the 2007 offense is essentially unchanged (Stallworth/Gaffney gone, about it.). They are "known" commodities which we know can perform. O'Brien is the big unknown and has not proven anything yet, so to me he is the question mark. At least they still have Scarrneccia (sp ?) and who knows how much BB will have his hand in the O.
    Posted by rocher

After Weis left Belichick took over the O-play calling until McDaniels got his feet wet....that is how they are rolling this year.  Also, Brady has his hand in many of the plays called and he changes the plays based on the opposing package on the field.  the scheming for the games are done during the week in film study and meetings as a team.  If you think that McDaniels was the sole person then you are mistaken.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNottingham. Show PatsNottingham's posts

Seeing Moss, Welker, Galloway and Brady being back, all of the Pats opponents are gearing up to defend the pass plays with new additions via free agency or the recent draft as noted in the Globe article on Parcell's Dolphins.  Thing is, Belicheck knows it.  Therefore, expect the Pats rushing game to flourish.  But Belicheck still may hold back the rushing game until midseason to continue to bait oppenents to play the pass until the running game takes over later in a particular game or the season, when teams are getting tired.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

This all depends on how we want to judge "better." I am in the corner of people who believe the Patriots will not score more points, but will be more efficient.

It's nearly impossible to score more than the Patriots did in 2007. They broke the QB and WR touchdown records for a season. I think we are going to see a different type of attack, but you can't have Brady and Moss and not at least threaten to go deep. In 2007, the Patriots relied on the deep pass too much. In 2009, we'll have it at our disposal, but it won't be utilized every drive.

We'll have three capable tight ends, a quartet (quintet if you count BJE) of reliable running backs, and a strong wide receiver core. As long as the O-Line holds up, and I am not as worried about that as most others, than I think the Patriots will be just fine......... but they won't outscore their 2007 selves.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J Paqage. Show J Paqage's posts

I believe that this Pats team will be more equally balanced on both sides of the ball.  Yes, Brady will air it out from time to time and the offense will put up a few gaudy numbers, but nothing like in 07.  I think they have to measure out their production better this year so they can avoid running out of gas like the defense did at the end of the 07 season.  Look for more running and pounding by the RB "corps" to balance things out.  I believe that this team knows that they have about a 3 year window to notch as many championships as they can with this current core of players.  THEY ARE HUNGRY to get back to the glory after the last few years of disappointing results.  I'm foaming at the mouth to see this team go to war with purpose this year!  IN BILL WE TRUST

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Any way you look at it, the Pats are going to get ridiculed for running up the score this year.  Oh, well....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

I believe that this Pats team will be more equally balanced on both sides of the ball.  Yes, Brady will air it out from time to time and the offense will put up a few gaudy numbers, but nothing like in 07.  I think they have to measure out their production better this year so they can avoid running out of gas like the defense did at the end of the 07 season.  Look for more running and pounding by the RB "corps" to balance things out.  I believe that this team knows that they have about a 3 year window to notch as many championships as they can with this current core of players.  THEY ARE HUNGRY to get back to the glory after the last few years of disappointing results.  I'm foaming at the mouth to see this team go to war with purpose this year!  IN BILL WE TRUST
    Posted by kidflopadelic

Equally balanced as in the Defense getting better and the offense getting worse?  I don't see it that way.....I see that on paper, the O looks better and the D looks better.  To me that means that the O gets more chances to score if the D takes the ball away more often.

Having a high powered offense and blowing teams out are good for our young guys on D to get some playing time.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I dont care about stats all I care about is getting the W at the end of each game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I dont care about stats all I care about is getting the W at the end of each game.
    Posted by MVPkilla

I want to get the win in the last game of the playoffs this year.  It's about flippin time.

Sections
Shortcuts