2009 RB Depth Chart - Maroney

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Re: 2009 RB Depth Chart - Maroney

Maroney will be fine if he stays healthy. I don't think he has to gain a certain amount of yards. Even if he stays healthy for the whole season, he's still going to share time with Taylor, Morris and Faulk, so there is only so many carries for him to get. What's most important is that he finds his niche and is productive when called upon. I could see him rushing for about 450 yards, averaging 4.4 or 4.5 yards per carry (meaning 6-7 carries each week), with a touchdown or two, and calling that a successful season.
    I do think the workload will be spread out among the running backs, and that will certainly benefit the Patriots come December and January (and hopefully February!).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sullymaan. Show sullymaan's posts

Yeah, Maroney is like that high priced mower with all the bells and whistles that you end up having to take to the Toro dealer every year for some new problem. It is awesome when it works, but it is more a pain in the rear end than it's worth, then you pull your old mower out which was a little more work to push but was at its worst reliable.

the Maan has Spoken
    diehardpatsfan.blogspot.com

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

I'm not to sure anyone here is running their self into a 300lb DL or even a 250lb LB with a sore shoulder or rib. No back on should have to make the first defender miss behind the line. 

With that said : 
    He lines up deeper than most back's. I think because he get's to the line so quick maybe his running style it's hard to change pace. So he's trying to blow through or by with speed. The deep alignmemt allows the D to see the direction sooner. Thats what we see as a dance he's there and the hole's not open yet or is been filled and he has to adjust. Maybe he don't have time to find it at that speed and he's guessing. One of the things that being hurt every year has killed him on is development. You can see it in the look backs on longer runs and the stiff legged sprints. It's like he's still trying to out speed the D. Which works in college. Maybe and let's all hope that Josh was half the problem in the use of him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

I can understand if the man is hurt. I know I'm in the minority here but I like Maroney. I still think the jury is out on him. This will be his make or break year. But I'm not very optimistic for him. BJGE hits the line better than Maroney. So do all the other running backs. With his power and speed combination he could be an absolute BEAST. He has shown small glimmers of it at times. But he must be much more consistent if wants to stay on the field. Also he has good hands. The man has all the talent. But it's time to put up or get out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

I can understand if the man is hurt. I know I'm in the minority here but I like Maroney. I still think the jury is out on him. This will be his make or break year. But I'm not very optimistic for him. BJGE hits the line better than Maroney. So do all the other running backs. With his power and speed combination he could be an absolute BEAST. He has shown small glimmers of it at times. But he must be much more consistent if wants to stay on the field. Also he has good hands. The man has all the talent. But it's time to put up or get out.
    Posted by ricky1554atl

Agreed. The potential is ALL there. He is young and has shown us at times to have the skill. Im looking forward to seeing him healthy. Its great that we have multiple RB's to start. I think we have depth that will allow the RB's to last through the season and be fitter and stronger for playoff's. Because we all know Pats will be there come season end! Smile

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

Also, Im interested to see if BB takes a RB in the draft. I tend to think he will.

Any thoughts on who?  perhaps Brown?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I know most people think the Pats must go defense first but I wouldn't mind at all if we took Percy Harvin at 23.  He can play rb and wr, great hands, playmaker and maybe take over faulks 3rd down duties in the future

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

I've been following the patriots for two seasons from Australia. So id like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Ive heard the RB chart could be: Fred Taylor Sammy Morris Kevin Faulk Laurence Maroney (Draft pick???/Law firm BGE) What are your thoughts on Lauence Maroney? It just shocks me that he was looking like our definate starter to our 4th RB? Is he a bust?
    Posted by wiggy26

Laura needs to grow a pair and cowboy up. Yes, she still has potential - and the only thing holding her back is herself.

IMHO, I like Law Firm better...and would count him in as the 4th RB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's not so much Maroney going east and west that drives me crazy -- it's Maroney not going anywhere at all. It's all the more frustrating because he's shown flashes of brilliance in the past and my concern is if his spate of injuries has made him contact shy. But watching him take two steps toward the line of scrimmage . . .  stop . . .  and then jitter about as if perhaps he might have to go to the bathroom is just plain getting old. I suspect we'll know pretty quickly which Maroney we're going to get once contact drills start. If he can't attack the line of scrimmage, you may as well trade him for some tape and a bag of footballs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

It's not so much Maroney going east and west that drives me crazy -- it's Maroney not going anywhere at all. It's all the more frustrating because he's shown flashes of brilliance in the past and my concern is if his spate of injuries has made him contact shy. But watching him take two steps toward the line of scrimmage . . .  stop . . .  and then jitter about as if perhaps he might have to go to the bathroom is just plain getting old. I suspect we'll know pretty quickly which Maroney we're going to get once contact drills start. If he can't attack the line of scrimmage, you may as well trade him for some tape and a bag of footballs.
    Posted by prairiemike

Agree. With his size he should be hitting the line hard. When he reaches the line then comes to a complete stop......that drives me crazy. The worst part of it is he does that so often. I think your right about the contact too and maybe it's just because he's been injured a lot. But whatever....there is always someone there to replace him so he better get it together this year or I don't think there will be another.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

There are a lot of good RB's in this draft,Moreno,Beenie Wells,Shonn Greene,Donald Brown,Ian Johnson,Javon Ringer,Devin Moore,Junior Coffee and these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.I don't count Harvin as a RB but I'm sure that with that speed he can be whatever he wants to be on a Football field.I hope for maroney's sake he understands that in camp BB he's probably on his last go round...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Unfortunately Maroney is looking more and more like he needs this on his helmet.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from noncallcity. Show noncallcity's posts

Maroney was a great draft choice, who got busted up like lots of high-round RB's. Remember how tough he ran his first year? Bowled people over, but after he'd broken through the line. He wasn't dancing, there were holes. Faulk is great, but often plays called for him are deceptive, putting him in the flat/open field.
    No mention of the offensive line on this thread.
    I think the OL has underperformed and their inability to run block has been killing us, and Brady.
    We've got 4--5 tough, talented backs. If 2 get injured, we're still OK. Open the holes, the yards will come. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

Will BB even bother looking for a RB in the draft with BGE as our 5th RB?

I hope he does, simply to groom a good potential RB for the future.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

noncall makes a valid point. The Pats offensive line is desgined primarily to pass block, for obvious reasons, and it has been argued effectively elsewhere on this board that Brady's quick reads, rapid checkdown ability and release might have made tht O-line look better than it actually is. I would be as happy as anyone to see a healthy Maroney become a dependable number-one back, capable of rushing for 1500 yards. I would also like to see my 401k back where it was this time last year and I want to wake up next to Stacy Keibler.

Wish in one hand . . . 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emilycuba33. Show emilycuba33's posts

Maroney will be fine if he stays healthy. I don't think he has to gain a certain amount of yards. Even if he stays healthy for the whole season, he's still going to share time with Taylor, Morris and Faulk, so there is only so many carries for him to get. What's most important is that he finds his niche and is productive when called upon. I could see him rushing for about 450 yards, averaging 4.4 or 4.5 yards per carry (meaning 6-7 carries each week), with a touchdown or two, and calling that a successful season. I do think the workload will be spread out among the running backs, and that will certainly benefit the Patriots come December and January (and hopefully February!).
    Posted by Ritchie_az

I agree with you.  I like the RB by committee.  They are much fresher come Dec. Jan. and Feb!!  When was the last time LT finished a season not standing on the sidelines?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

I've been following the patriots for two seasons from Australia. So id like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Ive heard the RB chart could be: Fred Taylor Sammy Morris Kevin Faulk Laurence Maroney (Draft pick???/Law firm BGE) What are your thoughts on Lauence Maroney? It just shocks me that he was looking like our definate starter to our 4th RB? Is he a bust?
    Posted by wiggy26

Most of the regulars on the board think that he is a "borderline bust" as of now. If he doesn't perform well this season or gets hurt AGAIN then he will be considered a bust. That doesn't mean that he will be cut though because he is still under his rookie contract and is relatively "cheap to keep". I do not think he will be resigned though and he could be used as part of a packaged deal on draft day if BB decides to move up or down. I wonder if letting Lamont Jordan go was a premature move given LM's propensity for injury! Gday Mate!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, I'll say this about that . . .

Whatever Maroney does or doesn't do, I think it's pretty cool that the Pats have at least one fan in Australia.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

I think it'll be an open competition in training camp. I would think Fred Taylor's going to get his 10 or so touches a Sunday, but I think Morris and Maroney and even the Firm will compete for the other touches.

I definitely think SOME of the blame for Maroney's lack of productivity could be due to the situations he was put in. Almost everytime he was lined up in the backfield the opposing team creeps 8 or 9 into the box and guesses run...and almost everytime he's in we run. And when there's 8 or 9 in the box there aren't many holes to run through, which ends up with a RB dancing in the backfield. Is that Maroney's fault or McDaniels? The Pats aren't a good enough run blocking team to telegraph run and still be able to run...at least against the good teams like Pitt or the Giants.

To me McDaniels lacked creativity in how he used Maroney...he hardly ever tried to get him outside on a stretch and i also think he was coached to not look for the cutback, which seems like something he's naturally adept at.

On another note, it's like on 3rd and 1 when we trot out our 'Power Formation' and telegraph run and the opposing defense floods the backfield and we end up not getting the first because we tried to overpower them instead of outsmart them....if the other team knows what you're going to do they'll most likely stop it. The Patriots are smarter than that...at least they should be.

Looking forward to this draft!  If we take a RB I don't think it'll be before the 3rd round. If Shonn Greene falls to 89 or whatever I could see us taking him....he seems like a good sized cold weather back that falls forward.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Wiggy:

The Pats are fine at RB...and seem to have more pressing needs elsewhere. But, RB Donald Brown from Connecticut is an intriguing prospect. From what I've read, hes' a runner who finishes his runs, eeking out every last yard. He does not go for the homerun on every run. Hes' also supposedly is an excellent pass receiver, and blocker. If so, it sounds like Brown is tailor made for the Pats.  

Incidently, Mel Kiper has Brown going to the Pats at #23, in his latest mock draft. OurLads have the Pats taking him at #34.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wiggy26. Show wiggy26's posts

Well, I'll say this about that . . . Whatever Maroney does or doesn't do, I think it's pretty cool that the Pats have at least one fan in Australia.
    Posted by prairiemike

:) it is certainly hard to follow the sport from Australia! not many people are interested in it over here. In saying that, Australia has just started a free sports channel on TV which show's 3 NFL games a week and some NBA and baseball. Im loving it!

Anyway.......that's why I like to hear all your thoughts about the pats because its an even more boring offseason over here!

Wiggy

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gcfeldma. Show gcfeldma's posts

Maroney danced well in college, but it isn't getting him anywhere in the NFL. He's far too hesitant, as well as a straight-up runner. I like the one-two of Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor. Taylor is a proven runner, and Sammy Morris excels in the Pats offense.

Check out this really funny multi-sport blog I found. Great NFL section.

Sections
Shortcuts