2009 RETROSPECTIVE: Why was our Offense so Predictable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

2009 RETROSPECTIVE: Why was our Offense so Predictable?

Ok, you've had a long time to digest the 2009 season. Why was our offense so predictable in the second half of games? Will the last draft cure it or do you see other systemic failures that have not been addressed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: 2009 RETROSPECTIVE: Why was our Offense so Predictable?

The OC didn't trust the RB's when he needed them, and there were only 2 WR's worth a crap, so it was either going to Moss, going to Welker, or going to some guy who can't catch.  Also Brady only had about 2 seconds to get the ball to one of them before the Olineman curled up in the fetal position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In Response to 2009 RETROSPECTIVE: Why was our Offense so Predictable?:
    Ok, you've had a long time to digest the 2009 season. Why was our offense so predictable in the second half of games? Will the last draft cure it or do you see other systemic failures that have not been addressed?
    Posted by NYC

When the Pats line up in the Shotgun what do they do 99% of the time? Once in a while they'll run a draw to Faulk but teams will allow it since that play won't beat them.

When you lead the NFL in snapping out of the Shotgun by a significant margin and when you rely on Moss and Welker, constantly, teams will put a safety on top of Moss and a LB on top of Welker and dare the Pats to beat you with the "other guys".

It's a shame, really, because Brady is one of the best play action QBs I've seen.

Let's hope that Moss or Taylor can stay healthy this season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I have to disagree with the bashing of last years tight ends. They weren't great, but I think it's foolish to expect two rookies and an inferior player to Watson to produce a lot more.

What happened in the first and last game? When the tight ends were utilized, they produced. Watson had good games vs. Buffalo week one and vs. Houston the last week. It was obvious tight ends were an option AFTER Welker was hurt in that last game. Obviously Watson or Graham weren't the best tight ends, but I'm sure they would've produced more in another system (see David Thomas). 

I'm all for having a great tight end, but the SYSTEM needs to utilize them more as pass catchers and less as extra tackles to help Kaczur keep his guy off Brady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

And my answer to the question is that O'Brien was in over his head his rookie year. I'm sure he'll be more prepared this year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

it's basically been said but

1. lack of commitment to the running game, even though the talent at the position isn't great
    2. inconstant o-line play, they wilted in blitz pickup and were miserable in run blocking/ short yardage
    3. zero outside talent at the WR2 spot, teams double Moss, press Welker, and dare Sam Aiken to beat them...and surprise surprise, he didn't beat them.
    4. Lack of TE presence, combination of not enough talent and not enough emphasis, though i'm inclined to stick to the former as the real cause
    5. A defense that often put the offensive in bad positions, the Pats had to get into shootouts or kill the clock way too often
    6. some pretty bland playcalling, but i'm not as down on O'brien as some here are, the overall talent level on offense simply wasn't all that great.
    7. the noticeable decline in Moss's ability, whether it was back pain or age, he just wasn't the same guy for most of 09

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from docmartin72. Show docmartin72's posts

In Response to Re: 2009 RETROSPECTIVE: Why was our Offense so Predictable?:
    In Response to Re: 2009 RETROSPECTIVE: Why was our Offense so Predictable? : Right. Because: 1. They were out of gas. 2. More hurt than we knew. 3. Baltimore has a very good defense. Season over. This is why I am so jacked up for this season.  Teams cannot double Moss because in two TE sets with Hernandez and Crumpler/Gronkowski, that's two more people you have to account for you didn't last year.  You had a slot guy, Moss and some weak other flanker, a waste of a TE in Watson and/or Baker and a lone setback. They'll now have the potential of having 3 underneath guys down the middle.  Look at the skill sets between Welker, Edelman, Hernandez, Gronkowski and Crumpler.   Pretty nasty.
    Posted by russgriswold

Bingo! New weapons offer new opportunities.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

not enough weapons, injuries, deficient run game

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

So, have the problems been solved with the addition of the TE's? Or do we need additional OL & RB help?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Poor Coaching and Bad Execution. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

Our weakness was the absense of TE's in the offense. Now that Watson is gone and we have more depth at TE this year i expect our offense to improve greatly now that Brady has a tight end upgrade with Crumpler, Hernandez and Gronkowski. It will be interesting to see how much Hernandez and Gronkowski are groomed to be the next Dallas Clarke or in BB's case the next Mark Bavaro. I think it's safe to say that Watson was all speed and no hands and a bust here.

Is it September yet?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I think the game planning was way too predictable. We had plenty of weapons and options but showed little creativity and little will to mix it up. At times they did but only when things really stagnated. They can't wait for things to stagnate to mix up the plays. 

Not having a 3rd receiver option was a pretty big problem though. 

I really don't understand why they didn't utilize Watson better. He was someone they could have used more. They did grab the two new TE but we will have to see how they are utilized. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Great Summary here!

It seems that the only points that have been addressed for sure is the TE issue an perhaps
    having a 3rd WR
    in Holt, Price or Tate.  It seems we are another season away from getting what we need to really compete for a championship

it's basically been said but

1. lack of commitment to the running game, even though the talent at the position isn't great
    2. inconstant o-line play, they wilted in blitz pickup and were miserable in run blocking/ short yardage
    3. zero outside talent at the WR2 spot, teams double Moss, press Welker, and dare Sam Aiken to beat them...and surprise surprise, he didn't beat them.
    4. Lack of TE presence, combination of not enough talent and not enough emphasis, though i'm inclined to stick to the former as the real cause
    5. A defense that often put the offensive in bad positions, the Pats had to get into shootouts or kill the clock way too often
    6. some pretty bland playcalling, but i'm not as down on O'brien as some here are, the overall talent level on offense simply wasn't all that great.
    7. the noticeable decline in Moss's ability, whether it was back pain or age, he just wasn't the same guy for most of 09

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

so...one thing that is consistent is not having a consistent running game - how do we fix that in '10 ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

-because the guy calling the plays called predictable plays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

What really bothered me in terms of offensive predictability was that in short yardage situations, they would sometimes come out in a heavy formation and run off tackle.  If I knew where they were going out of certain formations, the other team certainly did.  Sure enough, the runner would be met by a committee of tacklers.  Adrian Petersen can't gain yardage if there is no hole.

It is necessary to throw out of that formation once in a while to keep the other team honest.  Johnny Unitas used to throw deep on third and inches on occasion and it would work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: 2009 RETROSPECTIVE: Why was our Offense so Predictable?:
    so...one thing that is consistent is not having a consistent running game - how do we fix that in '10 ?
    Posted by PatFanInBA2

by calling plays so the other team doesn't put ten or eleven in the box because they know it's a run.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Last season was lost for many reasons.

1. Brady took a while to hit stride (once he was ok he was running for his life) and was never able to carry the team with the other issues on offense.

2. RB's were a walking mash unit. Running game was hurt by B-A-D blocking.

3. WR's were in shambles with Moss hurt almost the whole season, Welker hurt at the end Edelman as good as he was/is is no Welker and the rest were just as good as a card board cut out...ok maybe not that bad but close.

4. Oline was never able to pass block or run block worth a damn.

5. OC was learning OJT.

NOW THE REASON IT CHANGES THIS SEASON

1. Brady is a year removed from injury/surgery/rehab. 

2. RB's have to be healthier then they were last year and they should get superior blocking with addition of Crumpler and Vollmer in the starting lineup.

3. WR's look really good (I know there was a report that the Patriots WR's have dropped in tallent level but that is crap Moss will be healthy and is in contract year and will amaze once again. Edelman (another year of experience)and Holt will be solid Pieces and Price I have a feeling will be a very important part of this group early and often. The TE's added will help as well especially Hernandez (think Ben Coates with a little better speed). 

4. Vollmer will start somewhere and that is good. Immediate upgrade regardless of RT or LT. Might be time for one of those young OG's to give Neal a push and Koppen will be ok if he has good OG's on both sides. He gets into trouble when he has a weak link on one side of him. Maybe they drafted his eventuall replacement. Crumpler will also help as basicly another OT for pass protection when needed and run blocking like a bull dozer and Gronk will learn under this stud! Things looking up here!

5. OC will do better with another year under his belt and will have more tallent to make the plays he calls actually work.

And, as an answer to the whole offense in general there will likely be one maybe two free agents cut that the Patriots can sign for an immediate upgrade somewhere that will help us out. I'm not saying another 2007 is on the way but I think this offense is looking like it could be good enough to win another Championship and that is all that matters.