2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville

I think BB should be recognized for the trade that brought the Pats 2 early 2010 NFL 2nd round picks from Tenn and Jacksonville.  We turned two fairly late thirds into early 2nd rounders last year.  Early 2nd round is my favorite spot since you get the most bang for the cap dollar there.  With our late first I would love to see Dez Bryant fall to us.  Any thoughts on how we should use the 2nd rounders (two early, one late?).  We are getting younger seemlessly it would seem. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville

This is more proof that Belichick and the personel department know more about football than their counterparts. Tenessee pick will be the same as a late 1st rounder and is extra valuable as many underclassmen should declare after their agents inform them that a rookie pay scale could take effect under the new CBAin 2011. Jacksonville pick is still a mystery based on the way they play. At best they could be an 8-8 team (mid round) at worst a 6-10  record (more up the round). Three 2nds is huge, Kitty, Belichick could trade up (Spikes), down (more picks later rounds) or out (add to the Raiders 2011 pick) and you're right the 2nd round has great value. I felt that BB didn't see a 1st round pick in 2009 that he liked and traded down for more picks. Shrewd move. At the beginning of this season,I would have thought that Tenessee would have finished ahead of Jacksonville; now I doubt that happens.

I like what I have seen from Tate and Edelman (3rd ,7th round....6th?), but Moss' contract is up soon and losing him creates a big whole on the offense. He is a once in five or six years type of player. If either Fork or Mankins  leaves the DL and OL could easily be addressed in the 2nd round. OLB is a concern with Adalius getting big numbers in 2010 and the pass rush being suspect. People mention that BB never drafts a LB in the 1st or 2nd, but that logic went out the window when he drafted Mayo with the 49er pick (after trading down) We have yet to see what Mackenzie is capable of due to an injury.

Players get coached up in the Patriots organization and Belchick values intelligence just as much as physical skills and combine numbers.

There is 2010 draft thread somewhere, Kitty...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's what I posted on another thread.

IMO, you go after an impact player in rd 1, regardless of position.  Personally I'd love for them to be aggressive in round 1 and trade up (part with their 1st and a high 2nd or two if needed), pick who they feel is the best defensive player on their board.  Now I know this is not their MO, but they haven't really had a "big play" defensive player since Asante and all of his game changing INT's left for Philadelphia.  4 players that I think could be huge difference makers at the top of round 1 are:

Rolando McClain ILB Alabama(6-4 250)- Big, fast, athletic SEC LB who can mash with guards/stop the run and drop back into coverage.  He has great instincts and can locate and close on the football, he also plays for Saban so there is a natural connection.

Eric Berry S Tennessee (5-11 203)- Extremely instinctive/versatile (which Belichick loves), tough, big, fast, can play both the run and pass.  He's also a big play guy with 13 career INT's.  He is also an SEC player.  I also don't care that he's a safety, the goal is to get the best possible player.

Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska (6-4 300)- Can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 with Seymour like potential.  Quick, tough, strong and intelligent, he controls an makes plays at the line of scrimmage and is a beast against the pass and run.

Terrence Cody DT Alabama (6-5 365)- Referred to as Mount Cody for obvious reasons, he's the ideal player to anchor the nose in a 3-4.  If Wilfork is not retained, he could be the target (even with Brace still on the roster).  You simply can't move him and he will easily eat up 2 blockers and he's been compared to Ted Washington.  He's yet another SEC player, notice the trend.....he's also another Saban guy.  Belichick frequently drafted/signed LSU players when Saban was the coach there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville:
    I think BB should be recognized for the trade that brought the Pats 2 early 2010 NFL 2nd round picks from Tenn and Jacksonville.  We turned two fairly late thirds into early 2nd rounders last year.  Early 2nd round is my favorite spot since you get the most bang for the cap dollar there.  With our late first I would love to see Dez Bryant fall to us.  Any thoughts on how we should use the 2nd rounders (two early, one late?).  We are getting younger seemlessly it would seem. 
    Posted by kittycat6969

As long as they find a productive running back I would love to see one of those. Morris and Taylor are patchwork to make up for Maroney's inadequacies but you have to think they would like to fill that need. Other than that I want as much defense as we can get.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Right now, I have Tennessee barely beating out that powerhouse St. Louis for the #1 and the #33 pick, thank you! 

Despite its 3-3 record, Jacksonville is terrible.  I have them staggering in to a 5-11 record, beating KC and Tennessee but not Cleveland or any hot team (and here they come!).  How about a #38 pick for a 5-11 record? 

Is Bill Belichick lucky or smart?  Smart, for starting with two mid-third rounders and getting second rounders, no matter how the dice roll.  Smart or lucky for working specifically with Tenn and Jac and getting that extra boost this year?  Maybe really smart, maybe somewhat lucky. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I know for sure that I will have extra appreciation come the off season when *gulp* football is done for the year and there is that long gap and nothing else to talk about but the draft. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

By next year we will have completely overhauled the roster and the youth movement will pay great dividends.  Is it just me or does next year seem like an extremely deep one with probably every top underclassman declaring with the uncertainty of the rookie cap possibility in 2011.  I would be interested if someone could find an article on it.  BTW-anyone else interested in Jermaine Gresham in the late second rounder.  I hate OU, but before the injury that kid looked like one of the best TE prospects I have ever seen. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I'd definitely like to see them take Gresham.  I think he would take over the starting role as a rookie. 

I doubt Dez Bryant will make it past #15, unless some crazy trades/decisions are made.  But with Al Davis, he could probably go at #3. lol.. But really, even tho this draft is supposed to be really deep I don't think he'll last very long, since he's still an obvious #1 WR.

Spikes will go early too, top 10 material for sure. 

I just hope they can get a DE early that will come in and contribute right away, they certainly may need it.. especially if it's a pass-rush guy like Osi or Justin Tuck.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Middle linebackers have been dropping every year, with Mayo being the sole exception, so I think Spikes drops as well.

Gresham probably won't be there late in the second round, and might be gone by the end of the first. I would not be disappointed if we drafted him in the first.

It's great that B.B. traded for all these future picks, but I think we could regret one of those extra 2010 2nd rounders if we don't win it all this year. This core of Brady, Moss, and Belichick has a limited window.

However, the future does look bright, even if the details remain unclear. I love the draft almost as much as the season itself, so every extra pick is many more possible combinations of draftees to consider.

I would have waited until later to draft a safety, but I never would have thought to draft Volmer so high. He looks like he could be a real steal, though I still want to see him go against more of the lightning quick DEs in the league.

It's looking like a great draft overall, and by 2011 the team will look very different. We might be without Brady and Moss for all I know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville:
    By next year we will have completely overhauled the roster and the youth movement will pay great dividends.  
    Posted by kittycat6969

Do you know how teams have rebuilding years?  Well, this is it!  This is the Patriots' rebuilding year.  The whole youth movement has just replaced the entire Patriots' backfield, and next year's top four or so first day draft picks will continue the process.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

And thus we have the genius of BB underscored once more. "Rebuilding" for many teams means "please pardon us while we slip to 6-10". Not here...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Here's what I posted on another thread. IMO, you go after an impact player in rd 1, regardless of position.  Personally I'd love for them to be aggressive in round 1 and trade up (part with their 1st and a high 2nd or two if needed), pick who they feel is the best defensive player on their board.  Now I know this is not their MO, but they haven't really had a "big play" defensive player since Asante and all of his game changing INT's left for Philadelphia.  4 players that I think could be huge difference makers at the top of round 1 are: Rolando McClain ILB Alabama(6-4 250)- Big, fast, athletic SEC LB who can mash with guards/stop the run and drop back into coverage.  He has great instincts and can locate and close on the football, he also plays for Saban so there is a natural connection. Eric Berry S Tennessee (5-11 203)- Extremely instinctive/versatile (which Belichick loves), tough, big, fast, can play both the run and pass.  He's also a big play guy with 13 career INT's.  He is also an SEC player.  I also don't care that he's a safety, the goal is to get the best possible player. Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska (6-4 300)- Can play in a 3-4 or 4-3 with Seymour like potential.  Quick, tough, strong and intelligent, he controls an makes plays at the line of scrimmage and is a beast against the pass and run. Terrence Cody DT Alabama (6-5 365)- Referred to as Mount Cody for obvious reasons, he's the ideal player to anchor the nose in a 3-4.  If Wilfork is not retained, he could be the target (even with Brace still on the roster).  You simply can't move him and he will easily eat up 2 blockers and he's been compared to Ted Washington.  He's yet another SEC player, notice the trend.....he's also another Saban guy.  Belichick frequently drafted/signed LSU players when Saban was the coach there.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I watched Suh play last week. What a monster, he's like a man playing with boys. We need a guy like him badly.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

Finally somebody started a good thread!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

I think Bill will use two second rounders and trade 1 to 2011. You can´t draft 11 guys each year...

Last draft seems to be a great one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nishan6t4. Show nishan6t4's posts

i think he will trade some picks for quality player like wes welker some one who is playin in a real sink team but has talent. because i thinnk if pats dont go all the way this year he will know that window period will be closing and expect  him to try n make pats into superbowl favourite in one summer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

arodrambone -  Great reply.  I meant to say the later 1st for Gresham.  I really think he was a bigger reason that OU offense was record breaking last year.  They were very pedestrian without him even before QB Bradford went down.  However, I do think that all of our players in this window including Moss can be replaced with good players.  Just remember that when we lose Randy, a heck of a lot of salary cap money comes available to spend on another player.  Brady is the one guy that is hard to replace.  However, Brady could player until he is Favre's age-40? I would not want to trade out of 2010 Draft because I think it will be far more loaded than the diluted 2011 Draft.  Remember almost every good junior/senior will declare because of fear of the labor situation and being slotted in 2011 Draft.  However, our Raiders pick in 2011 should be really nice since they are going to be so terrible.  Kudos to the greatest coach in BB. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville : I watched Suh play last week. What a monster, he's like a man playing with boys. We need a guy like him badly.
    Posted by unclealfie

Agreed, I watched him play against Missouri a couple weeks ago, 6 tackles, a sack and an INT (in which he dropped back into coverage!!), while he completely dominated the line of scrimmage and was always around the football.  The guy is a beast and it can be argued that DL is the position that BB places the biggest premium on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

I think we can agree tonot reach for a player in the deep draft.  The best strategy is to get value for the Cap dollar.  2010 Draft is so deep.  I like Suh, but I also like T. Cody and G. McCoy.  Lot's of awesome talent at D-Line.  2010 is twice the draft that 2009 was.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Isnt he a top 5 pick

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm not looking for them to reach, I'm looking for them to be aggressive and go after who they identify as the biggest impact, game changing, defensive player in the draft.  Is this against their general draft philosophy? Yes.  Is it within their capability?  Yes, they have alot of chips to play with in this years draft.

Cody will probably be a top 15 pick while Suh and McCoy should go in the top 5-10.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

At the rate we are going (5-2). I see our 1st round draft pick, anywhere from 23-32 (personally I prefer 32 ;-) I agree with many other post that if there is an impact player in top 15, we have to make a move for him. Drafting in top 15 may not be the best from economics point of view, but you can definitely pick a blockbuster player in that range. So if we see a player we like in top 15, I'd say, go for it! It served us well with Mayo at 10th over all!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree with Mbeaulieu. We have to trade up to get Suh or Mount Cody or Mc Coy and I can't see Belichick doing that unless Wilfork is gone. Also if Spikes is wanted BB would have to trade up a long way Top Ten/15. If Dez Bryant is top ten material the same rule applies. I agree with whoever said the best NCAA level of competition is in the SEC. I do believe that BB will either keep the picks or trade down. I can't see him trading up. If Belichick wants to instantly imrpove the team this year he could trade a pick to get Larry Johnson.....but that issue comes with some serious questions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

We really don't have a ton of picks in 2010, outside of the first and second round.

Why trade our few precious and valuable picks to move up in what could be the deepest draft in a long time, just to be forced into a high rookie contract and the possibility of a holdout?

We already have Oakland's 2011 first round pick to take an "impact player" without selling the farm and paying out the nose.

We should be able to find 3 and possibly 4 future starters in the first 2 rounds of the 2010 draft, at discount prices, in a year where we could lose several big contributors to free agency.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

We really don't have a ton of picks in 2010, outside of the first and second round. Why trade our few precious and valuable picks to move up in what could be the deepest draft in a long time, just to be forced into a high rookie contract and the possibility of a holdout? We already have Oakland's 2011 first round pick to take an "impact player" without selling the farm and paying out the nose. We should be able to find 3 and possibly 4 future starters in the first 2 rounds of the 2010 draft, at discount prices, in a year where we could lose several big contributors to free agency.
    Posted by arodrambone

Hey, I’m not against this philosophy as it’s what they do know and has worked out pretty good….

But….

Look at the type of impact Mayo has had on this team.  Look at what a young Richard Seymour brought to this team.  To use another analogy, would you rather have Al Jefferson and a bunch of “starters” or Kevin Garnett?

I think Chung, Butler and Brace can and will be quality starters eventually, not to mention Wilhite, Pryor and Crable/McKenzie (assuming they are back from injury next year) who could also provide quality depth and maybe some starts.

But you plug a stud like McClain/Cody/Suh/Berry/McCoy into this defense and look out…..

Sections
Shortcuts