2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville

My point is this draft could go 20-25 deep in upper first round talent.  Getting a guy like Jermaine Gresham at the bottom of the first (20 something) makes more sense than paying Suh 3-4 times more $ at the top.  I will prepare a big analysis on this point tonight.  Also, we don't lose a 2nd rounder.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville:
    [QUOTE]My point is this draft could go 20-25 deep in upper first round talent.  Getting a guy like Jermaine Gresham at the bottom of the first (20 something) makes more sense than paying Suh 3-4 times more $ at the top.  I will prepare a big analysis on this point tonight.  Also, we don't lose a 2nd rounder.   
    Posted by kittycat6969[/QUOTE]

I understand the point, it's obvious you'll see a larger number of underclassmen declaring for the 2010 draft to avoid a possible rookie pay scale in 2011, everyone knows that, it's not debatable. That still doesn't mean that you're going to have 20-25 guys with top 5 talent......more often than not the best juniors usually declare anyways, so how would 2010 be any different? Maybe a few extra guys who would normally be on the fence? 

Also, who's to say Gresham will last that long?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Here is how I see it... It's way to early to figure out who they take with the first pick they use... and that is the way I will phrase it because I think they will use their first round pick and a pick like a high second round pick maybe Tennessee's to move up and get that one impact player like a Rolando McClain ILB that is a prototype 3-4 ILB like Belichick likes and like was mentioned in here the connection with Saban makes sense.  But I believe in the you draft the best player on your board almost reguardless of position. If it is a situation you can trade back and still get that player or you really don't need that position then you look to move out of the pick. But as for the first round I hope and actually believe the Patriots will move up and get that one impact player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

I meant to say that there would be 20-25 players with top 15 talent.  I will list out some top players tonight.   

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville : I understand the point, it's obvious you'll see a larger number of underclassmen declaring for the 2010 draft to avoid a possible rookie pay scale in 2011, everyone knows that, it's not debatable. That still doesn't mean that you're going to have 20-25 guys with top 5 talent......more often than not the best juniors usually declare anyways, so how would 2010 be any different? Maybe a few extra guys who would normally be on the fence?  Also, who's to say Gresham will last that long?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Top Prospects at

QB (3-7)-Pats don't have a need but I do think top QB prospects Jake Locker, Jimmy Clausen will push a good player down to Pats.  This is an above average QB draft with Tim Tebow, Tony Pike, Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead (late first to second round talent).  This is a nice and very deep QB draft. 

RB (3)-This draft is not particularly strong at running back.  CJ Spiller, Jonathon Dwyer or Jahvid Best will probably be available until the late first and early second round.  In my opinion there are no game changing Adrian Peterson types.  I might pass on the runners or try to get a guy in the later rounds or free agency.  We have a need but.......

WR (2)-Dez Bryant really stands out in this draft and would add another dimension to the offense.  You just cannot single cover him.  Dezmon Briscoe of Kansas is steady and could be a player to watch.  Steady and less explosive than Bryant. 

TE (1)-****Jermaine Gresham**** would have to be very high on the Patriots list.  I think he may have been the best player on OU's offense last year.  A top 5-10 talent had he not been injured.  Rumor has it that the type of injury will not effect him next year and he will come to camp good to go. 

OL (3-5) The top player would appear to be Russell Okung. Bryan Bulaga and Charles Brown are also of interest.  Trent Williams is a guy that may drop to Patriots as he has had a down year, but has plenty of potential.  Otherwise not much else here.  

DLine (7) I don't think I have ever seen a deeper Dline draft with Suh, McCoy, T. Cody, Jerry Hughes, Carlos Dunlap, Jason Pierre-Paul, Grag Hardy all available.  Someone from the group is going to have to drop and there will be value to be had.

LB (3)-Brandon Spikes is on everyones radar.  Sergio Kindle from Texas has a nice motor and Rolando McClain is another guy that is coveted.  I think a real darkhorse is Sean Weatherspoon from Missouri he is a playmaker and seemingly all over the field.  Fits that Guyton mold.  

Safety (2)-There are two very highly coveted safeties in Eric Berry and Taylor Mays.  These two are really good they will go top 15 and help to push a player down to Pats.  

Cornerback (1)-Joe Haden from Florida is all I have at this position.  This is a weakspot in a great draft.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Well the next two years plus the last two years of drafting should go a long way in keeping this team competitive well into the next decade. As far as the drafting goes I see the Pats addressing some of the skill positions RB, WR then more picks in the defensive front 7. Just hope we can get Mankins and Wilfork to sign long term contracts before free agency.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

maybe some of you have read this in other posts... but im VERY HIGH on Jonathan Dwyer.  hes a bruiser.  he reminds me of clock killin' corey dillon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

It seems like there are some pretty solid RBs that will be in the 2nd rd in this coming draft.  I would love to get one, maybe 2.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE] Posted by kittycat6969

Top Prospects at

QB (3-7)-Pats don't have a need but I do think top QB prospects Jake Locker, Jimmy Clausen will push a good player down to Pats.  This is an above average QB draft with Tim Tebow, Tony Pike, Colt McCoy and Jevan Snead (late first to second round talent).  This is a nice and very deep QB draft. 

I agree that this projects to be a relatively deep QB class, I posted it earlier that there could be upwards of 10 teams looking to upgrade their QB position in the off season, most of them drafting in the top quarter should be drafting in the top third of round 1.

RB (3)-This draft is not particularly strong at running back.  CJ Spiller, Jonathon Dwyer or Jahvid Best will probably be available until the late first and early second round.  In my opinion there are no game changing Adrian Peterson types.  I might pass on the runners or try to get a guy in the later rounds or free agency.  We have a need but.......

There’s no Adrian Peterson types in most drafts, that guy is an absolute monster.  The guys that interest me are:

*Noel Devine (5-7 185, WV) - guy is a homerun hitter from anywhere on the field, electric with the ball in his hands. 
    *Dwyer (6-1 235, GT) - could be the between the tackles, chain moving sledgehammer that they’ve been missing since Dillon left. 
    *Charles Scott (6-1 235, LSU) – He’s another big between the tackles back with an SEC pedigree.
    *Ryan Mathews (5-11 220, Fresno St) – Not a household name yet, but he’s another decent size back who’s currently leading the nation in rushing and has the Pat Hill (from the BB coaching tree) connection.

WR (2)-Dez Bryant really stands out in this draft and would add another dimension to the offense.  You just cannot single cover him.  Dezmon Briscoe of Kansas is steady and could be a player to watch.  Steady and less explosive than Bryant.  

Personally receiver is that last position that I’d want them to look at in round 1.  One player that intrigues me and can probably be had in round 2 or 3 is:

*Eric Decker (6-2 215, Minnesota) – He’s a big, tough, productive receiver with good hands who can fill the outside receiver position opposite Moss.

TE (1)-****Jermaine Gresham**** would have to be very high on the Patriots list.  I think he may have been the best player on OU's offense last year.  A top 5-10 talent had he not been injured.  Rumor has it that the type of injury will not effect him next year and he will come to camp good to go.  

Gresham
    is definitely a good player and would be a pass catching upgrade to their offense.  If they trade up into the top 10, my preference is for them to take a defensive player. Some alternatives are (Ed Dickson 6-4 243 Oregon, Anthony McCoy 6-5 252 USC, Tony Moeaki 6-3 252 Iowa) all three could provide a pass catching upgrade that would allow them to stretch the seam and provide match up problems to opposing D's.

OL (3-5) The top player would appear to be Russell Okung. Bryan Bulaga and Charles Brown are also of interest.  Trent Williams is a guy that may drop to Patriots as he has had a down year, but has plenty of potential.  Otherwise not much else here.  

Bulaga is the guy I think would interest them, though he’s likely to go in the top 10 as well.  Another guy that interests me is Kyle Calloway (6-7 315), who also plays for Iowa (under Kirk Ferentz, another BB coaching tree guy).  He's probably projected to be a mid rounder at this point  

DLine (7) I don't think I have ever seen a deeper Dline draft with Suh, McCoy, T. Cody, Jerry Hughes, Carlos Dunlap, Jason Pierre-Paul, Grag Hardy all available.  Someone from the group is going to have to drop and there will be value to be had.

I’ve already stated my case for Suh and Cody etc.  I think they are pure difference makers.

LB (3)-Brandon Spikes is on everyones radar.  Sergio Kindle from Texas has a nice motor and Rolando McClain is another guy that is coveted.  I think a real darkhorse is Sean Weatherspoon from Missouri he is a playmaker and seemingly all over the field.  Fits that Guyton mold.  

Spikes’ has the name, but McClain is the better prospect.  I’d be happy with either, but prefer McClain at this point. Again, he plays for Saban who’s also part of the BB coaching tree. A couple others that I’m high on are: 

*Eric Norwood (6-0 252, SC) – He’s shorter than the ideal BB 3-4 OLB, but he just knows how to get to the QB, has the similar size and skill set to Elvis Dumervil who’s leading the NFL in sacks play in Denver’s 3-4.

*Brandon Graham (6-2 265, Michigan) - he's another tough, hardworking player who can play the run and has some experience dropping back into coverage, though it's a work in progress.  He can also bring some pressure off the edge with 23 career sacks (8 in 2007, 10 in 2008 and 5 thus far this year).  He has the size and skill set similar to Lamar Woodley's when he came out of Michigan (now a 3-4 OLB for the Steelers).  Belichick also appears to have a fondness for Michigan LB's (Woods, Crable and Prescott Burgess for a bit).

Safety (2)-There are two very highly coveted safeties in Eric Berry and Taylor Mays.  These two are really good they will go top 15 and help to push a player down to Pats.  

Both are good players, but I stated my case for Berry, I think he’ll be the better pro.

Cornerback (1)-Joe Haden from Florida is all I have at this position.  This is a weakspot in a great draft.   

I agree that this may not be a class filled with blue chip CB prospects.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

I am hoping we find a nice RB in mid rounds or free agent.  That was an excellent and informative reply mbeaulieu07.  I will have to pay close attention to your material as I do to TexasPat.  I will watch videos on those players you mentioned.  Some of the LB's you mentioned seem like good players, but I am not sure how much BB is caught up in the height of the edge LB in his system.  He is so picky at LB and has been ever since he had those LB's for the Giants back in the 80's (Taylor, Johnson, Banks and Carson). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Interestingly, many of us forget that the Pats have stockpiled picks in positions that are almost preferable to the first round.  Thanks, for the reminder.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I am hoping we find a nice RB in mid rounds or free agent.  That was an excellent and informative reply mbeaulieu07 .  I will have to pay close attention to your material as I do to TexasPat.  I will watch videos on those players you mentioned.  Some of the LB's you mentioned seem like good players, but I am not sure how much BB is caught up in the height of the edge LB in his system.  He is so picky at LB and has been ever since he had those LB's for the Giants back in the 80's (Taylor, Johnson, Banks and Carson). 

Thank you, it's awesome that there's intelligent draft talk on BDC, you included.

The whole height thing with BB's OLB's/edge rushers is kinda funny, seems that he'll shy away from shorter guys (relative to what he likes 6-5 etc) in the draft but is OK with them if they've been in the league for a bit and/or have been relatively productive (Adalius, Ninkovich and D. Burgess are all listed at 6-2)  I know he likes big, tall guys who can set the edge, but this would lead me to think that if a guy can play, you draft him. 

TBC was drafted by BB and he is only listed at 6-2, so it can work out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

A lot of the big names expected to go high will drop as they do every year with rebuilding teams drafting by need.  You gotta take into account the O-Linemen who are going to get picked earlier than projected so players like Spikes and McClain may slip.

But you gotta be kidding yourself if you think Suh's slipping out of the top 3 barring injury or anything else dramatic on or off-field.

Even if BB decides to not to trade up or down (which i find i hard 2 believe) there will be "impact guys" available midway through the 2nd round... This draft is going to be DEEP!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Charles Scott stock has taken a hit. In his senior season he is getting less reps than underclassmen. The big guy in the backfield is now Russel Shpehard who is a bit like a Chris Johnson/Percy Harvin type slash player.

The 'steal' at LSU is Brandon LaFell, whose stock has fallen do to the rise of Terrence Tolliver (who might declare himself, but I hope not) and the insertion of rookie QB Jefferson, who has been spotty with his game managment.

LaFell isn't a speed burner, but he is thick and has great hands, and a really good feel for the kind of complex zones you see in the SEC.

I think he could be had at the bottom of the first or top of the second, which is great, because he likely would have been top ten last season, and his drop is no fault of his own. I would compare him to Dwayne Bowe (also an LSU tiger) in the NFL. That Keyshon Johnson/Michael Irvin kind of player who is great in the endzone and great with possesion catches.

Spikes' stock has taken a bit of a hit, because Florida isn't as dominant as it has been. Moreover, I think the emergence of Guyton closes the book on NE drafting another day one ILB.

Kindle is finally producing, but I am leery of Texas DEs. A lot of them don't work out, and I have taken the bait before. They get a lot of chances to blitz inferior offenses, because Texas' offense gets them huge leads.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Cody, suh, Spiller, Berry, almost all of these guys are going to be WAY out of NE's reach. One might fall, maybe two, but if we are doing serious draft talk, lets talk seriously.

If things go how I expec Dez Bryant won't be there at the bottom either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

ZB-I was only showing those guys to state that this was a deep draft.  I agree that those 5 players will not be available.  I also think QB's Locker and Clausen will be off the board.  Of this next group of players, Carlos Dunlap, Gerald McCoy, Spikes, McClain, J. Gresham, B. Bulaga and Russell Okung: who might fall into the 20's and therefore be on the board when we are on the clock?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

PkPlayerPos.TeamStatusContract
    1.Matthew StaffordQBDetroitSigned6 years, $72 million ($41.7M guaranteed)
    2.Jason SmithOTSt. LouisSigned5 years, $61.775 million ($33M guaranteed)
    3.Tyson JacksonDEKansas CitySigned5 years, $57 million ($31M guaranteed)
    4.Aaron CurryLBSeattleSigned6 years, $60 million ($34M guaranteed)
    5.Mark SanchezQBN.Y. JetsSigned5 years, $60 million ($28M guaranteed)
    6.Andre SmithOTCincinnatiSigned4 years, $26 million ($21M guaranteed)
    7.Darrius Heyward-BeyWROaklandSigned5 years, $38.25 million ($23.5M guaranteed)
    8.Eugene MonroeOTJacksonvilleSigned5 years, $35.4 million ($19.2M guaranteed)
    9.B.J. RajiDTGreen BaySigned5 years, $28.5 million ($18M guaranteed)
    10.Michael CrabtreeWRSan FranciscoSigned6 years, $40 million ($17M guaranteed)
    11.Aaron MaybinDEBuffaloSigned5 years, $25 million ($15M guaranteed)
    12.Knowshon MorenoRBDenverSigned5 years, $23 million ($13M guaranteed)
    13.Brian OrakpoDEWashingtonSigned5 years, $20 million ($12.1M guaranteed)
    14.Malcolm JenkinsCBNew OrleansSigned5 years, up to $19 million ($11M guaranteed)
    15.Brian CushingLBHoustonSigned5 years, $18 million ($10.435M guaranteed)
    16.Larry EnglishDESan DiegoSigned5 years, $17.8 million ($9.9M guaranteed)
    17.Josh FreemanQBTampa BaySigned5 years, $36 million (10.25M guaranteed)
    18.Robert AyersLBDenverSigned5 years, $15.5 million ($9.7M guaranteed)
    19.Jeremy MaclinWRPhiladelphiaSigned5 years, $15.5 million ($9.5M guaranteed)
    20.Brandon PettigrewTEDetroitSigned5 years, $14.6 million ($9.4M guaranteed)
    21.Alex MackCClevelandSigned5 years, $15 million ($8.3M guaranteed)
    22.Percy HarvinWRMinnesotaSigned5 years, $14.25 million ($8.4M guaranteed)
    23.Michael OherOTBaltimoreSigned5 years, $13 million ($7.82M guaranteed)
    24.Peria JerryDTAtlantaSigned5 years, $13.25 million ($7.55M guaranteed)
    25.Vontae DavisCBMiamiSigned5 years, $13.3 million ($7.35M guaranteed)
    26.Clay MatthewsLBGreen BaySigned5 years, $13.2 million ($7.1M guaranteed)
    27.Donald BrownRBIndianapolisSigned5 years, $12.835 million ($6.845M guaranteed)
    28.Eric WoodCBuffaloSigned5 years, $13 million ($6.5M guaranteed)
    29.Hakeem NicksWRN.Y. GiantsSigned5 years, $12.54 million ($6M guaranteed)
    30.Kenny BrittWRTennesseeSigned5 years, $12.25 million ($6.5M guaranteed)
    31.Chris "Beanie" WellsRBArizonaSigned5 years, $11.8 million ($6.345M guaranteed)
    32.Evander "Ziggy" HoodDTPittsburghSigned5 years, $11.3 million ($6.1M guaranteed)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

Signing a top guy like Suh would be a mistake even though he is better.  I think 2010 is a fairly flat draft.  For a great case in point would you rather have Jason Smith at 5 years/$62M ($33M guaranteed) or Michael Oher at 5 years/$13M ($7M guaranteed).  Also, Ayers at #18 is a better value than Aaron Curry at #3.  I make the point that there is not enough difference to ever trade up in the top 8 of a draft.  Top 10 is a terrible place to be and you get out of it at all costs until the rookie wage scale changes.  Interestingly Tyson Jackson is already getting paid more than what proven commodity Vince Wilfork is asking. 

Look at the 2009 Draft under the 2010 Draft.  Jerrod Mayo signed for less than half the money that Sedrick Ellis took at #7.  If I remember we traded out of #7 picked up Crable as a throw in.  Ryan Clady would also appear to be a much better CAP Bargain than Jake Long at the top of the draft.  Thoughts?  

Signing status of 2008 NFL Draft first-round picks

NFL.com

PkPlayerPos.TeamStatusContract
    1.Jake LongOTMiamiSigned5 years, $57.5 million ($30M guaranteed)
    2.Chris LongDESt. LouisSigned6 years, $56.5 million ($29M guaranteed)
    3.Matt RyanQBAtlantaSigned6 years, $72 million ($34M guaranteed)
    4.Darren McFaddenRBOaklandSigned6 years, $60 million ($26M guaranteed)
    5.Glenn DorseyDTKansas CitySigned5 years, $51 million ($23M guaranteed)
    6.Vernon GholstonDEN.Y. JetsSigned5 years, $50 million ($21M guaranteed)
    7.Sedrick EllisDTNew OrleansSigned5 years, $49 million ($19.5M guaranteed)
    8.Derrick HarveyDEJacksonvilleSigned5 years, $33.4 million ($17.177M guaranteed)
    9.Keith RiversLBCincinnatiSigned6 years, $23 million ($15.6M guaranteed)
    10.Jerod MayoLBNew EnglandSigned5 years, $18.9 million ($13.8M guaranteed)
    11.Leodis McKelvinCBBuffaloSigned5 years, $19.4 million ($12.6M guaranteed)
    12.Ryan CladyOTDenverSigned5 years, $17.5 million ($11.5M guaranteed)
    13.Jonathan StewartRBCarolinaSigned5 years, $20 million ($10.795M guaranteed)
    14.Chris WilliamsOTChicagoSigned5 years, $16 million ($10M guaranteed)
    15.Branden AlbertOGKansas CitySigned5 years, $15.8 million ($9.2M guaranteed)
    16.Dominique Rodgers-CromartieCBArizonaSigned5 years, $15.1 million ($9M guaranteed)
    17.Gosder CherilusOTDetroitSigned5 years, $15 million ($8.9M guaranteed)
    18.Joe FlaccoQBBaltimoreSigned5 years, $30 million ($8.75M guaranteed)
    19.Jeff OtahOTCarolinaSigned5 years, $14.4 million ($8.965M guaranteed)
    20.Aqib TalibCBTampa BaySigned5 years, $14 million ($8.2M guaranteed)
    21.Sam BakerOTAtlantaSigned5 years, $13.5 million ($7.8M guaranteed)
    22.Felix JonesRBDallasSigned5 years, $10.5 million ($8M guaranteed)
    23.Rashard MendenhallRBPittsburghSigned5 years, $12.555 million ($7.125M guaranteed)
    24.Chris JohnsonRBTennesseeSigned5 years, $12 million ($7M guaranteed)
    25.Mike JenkinsCBDallasSigned5 yaers, $9.7 million ($7M guaranteed)
    26.Duane BrownOTHoustonSigned5 years, $11.4 million ($6.5M guaranteed)
    27.Antoine CasonCBSan DiegoSigned5 years, $12.03 million
    28.Lawrence JacksonDESeattleSigned5 years, $11.25 million ($6.1M guaranteed)
    29.Kentwan BalmerDESan FranciscoSigned5 years, $11.5 million ($6M guaranteed)
    30.Dustin KellerTEN.Y. JetsSigned5 years, $12 million ($6M guaranteed)
    31.Kenny PhillipsFSN.Y. GiantsSigned5 years, $11.15 million

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]ZB-I was only showing those guys to state that this was a deep draft.  I agree that those 5 players will not be available.  I also think QB's Locker and Clausen will be off the board.  Of this next group of players, Carlos Dunlap, Gerald McCoy, Spikes, McClain, J. Gresham, B. Bulaga and Russell Okung: who might fall into the 20's and therefore be on the board when we are on the clock?

I don't have any of them falling per se. first, it is way too early to think falling in those terms. the first round isn't even drawn tight enough yet to decide who is where.

My gut tells me this. NE will be picking very low, I assume 32nd, lol.

McCoy, bulaga, OKung, Dunlap are all top 15 material. Dunlap is the engine moving florida right now, he could be their best player.

Second, Ne isn't picking a QB. they aren't picking an ILB and they aren't picking a safety. The reasons for this are so obvious. We can take those players off our board right now.

You are placing this falling stock on OTs too. OTs, good ones, have been going fast and high lately. There aren't many left after 20 (if any at all) worth taking before the third round. Because of the collective need at this roster spot in the NFL they are getting pushed higher and higher.

If you are talking about Sooner Gerald McCoy, forget it. If you are talking Trojan Anthony McCoy, I think he is a second round consolation prize (and a good one at that) for the team that can't snag Gresham, or is looking for a player shorter on RAW ability, but higher on experience outside of the Big-12 spread circus.

Spikes could be there, because he hasn't been the playmaker he has been in the past. I look at his stock as low first right now. Gresham is low first, but only because TE's need to be superman to go higher than that. Gresham is a beast. I would be happy with that pick at 32.

For OT Brown from USC might hang around, but I think like his predecessor Sam Baker, who I loved, he shouldn't go later than the 20s.

I am thnking Tate, LaFell, Benn and a few others could be targets. For some reason this draft looks rich in skill positions. Ne hs some need on OL though, but I don't see them trading picks to fill that. Not this year, or any year. I thnk they would reach to fill it first.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

ZB-The Tennessee pick in the early 2nd round could possible too.  I hope you are right and we can win the SB.  If Tennessee keeps losing then we could have back to back #32 (SB :) ) and #33 in the Draft.  Jermaine Gresham is a player that I also think is a beast.  I think the QB's are not on our board but they will push several good players down our way.  Due to the great depth in this draft I am hoping we keep most of our picks and add another layer of youth to the roster.    

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville : I don't have any of them falling per se. first, it is way too early to think falling in those terms. the first round isn't even drawn tight enough yet to decide who is where. My gut tells me this. NE will be picking very low, I assume 32nd, lol. McCoy, bulaga, OKung, Dunlap are all top 15 material. Dunlap is the engine moving florida right now, he could be their best player. Second, Ne isn't picking a QB. they aren't picking an ILB and they aren't picking a safety. The reasons for this are so obvious. We can take those players off our board right now. You are placing this falling stock on OTs too. OTs, good ones, have been going fast and high lately. There aren't many left after 20 (if any at all) worth taking before the third round. Because of the collective need at this roster spot in the NFL they are getting pushed higher and higher. If you are talking about Sooner Gerald McCoy, forget it. If you are talking Trojan Anthony McCoy, I think he is a second round consolation prize (and a good one at that) for the team that can't snag Gresham, or is looking for a player shorter on RAW ability, but higher on experience outside of the Big-12 spread circus. Spikes could be there, because he hasn't been the playmaker he has been in the past. I look at his stock as low first right now. Gresham is low first, but only because TE's need to be superman to go higher than that. Gresham is a beast. I would be happy with that pick at 32. For OT Brown from USC might hang around, but I think like his predecessor Sam Baker, who I loved, he shouldn't go later than the 20s. I am thnking Tate, LaFell, Benn and a few others could be targets. For some reason this draft looks rich in skill positions. Ne hs some need on OL though, but I don't see them trading picks to fill that. Not this year, or any year. I thnk they would reach to fill it first.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

kittycat, mbeaulieu, zbellino and ALL:

Walterfootball.com, in their latest mock has the Pats drafting in the mid-twenties of the 1st rd, taking WR Dez Bryant (as we know now BB targeted P. Harvin before Minn swiped him 1 pick before ours, so WR is a very likely scenario-as much as one can tell where BB is going).  The Next pick in their mock has us taking RB Jonathen Dwyer with the 1st pick of Rd 2 (originally I wanted how this Mock is set up in order of importance #1 WR, #2 RB...but now I'm moving closer to a big-bruising RB as paramount).  The next two Rd 2 picks are first, DE/OLB Jerry (or is it Terry?) Hughes of Texas Christian University, a rush LB who notched something absurd like 20 FLs and a dozen sacks last year (zb or anyone-Know anything about this guy?), while the last pick is the #2 rated Guard in the nation, a 6'6 300 lb behemoth from Alabama who's name is now escaping me at this hour...

~Let me tell You ALL, IF This is How the Draft started out, I'd have no problem IF Belichick used the remainder of his picks between various boxes of broken Oreo Cookies and headless Animal Crackers... 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kittycat6969. Show kittycat6969's posts

I would be shocked if we were high enough to get Dez Bryant.  Sporting News has him going as high as #3.  Jermaine Gresham has 1,000+ yards last year as TE and is a fine blocker with all of the measurables.  He would make a fine target for Brady.  I will check the link.  That would be a sweet draft.  Hughes has a motor on him. 

-Mike

[QUOTE]kittycat , mbeaulieu , zbellino and ALL : Walterfootball.com , in their latest mock has the Pats drafting in the mid-twenties of the 1st rd, taking WR   Dez Bryant (as we know now BB targeted P. Harvin before Minn swiped him 1 pick before ours, so WR is a very likely scenario-as much as one can tell where BB is going).  The Next pick in their mock has us taking RB Jonathen Dwyer with the 1st pick of Rd 2 (originally I wanted how this Mock is set up in order of importance #1 WR, #2 RB...but now I'm moving closer to a big-bruising RB as paramount).  The next two Rd 2 picks are first, DE/OLB   Jerry (or is it Terry?) Hughes of Texas Christian University, a rush LB who notched something absurd like 20 FLs and a dozen sacks last year (zb or anyone-Know anything about this guy?), while the last pick is the #2 rated Guard in the nation , a 6'6 300 lb behemoth from Alabama who's name is now escaping me at this hour... ~Let me tell You ALL, IF  This is How the Draft started out, I'd have no problem IF Belichick used the remainder of his picks between various boxes of broken Oreo Cookies and headless Animal Crackers... 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

I think that the OL is a major need area for the Pats considering that both Mankins & Neal are free agents this year and are also the Pats' two starting offensive guards (although I feel that Mankins will be re-signed).  Light will be a free agent next season and is our current starting LT; while Kaczur may end up being a cap casualty due to his cap number going up significantly after next season (so the Pats may look to save cap space by going with a cheaper option at RT - most likely Vollmer will be playing this position rather than LT).

That said, I can't see them being in a good enough position to draft a LT this year(that might have to wait until '11 when we have Oakland's #1 pick).  I do see the Pats potentially looking to draft a RG to replace Neal with one of their 2nd rounders (most likely their lowest 2nd round pick).

In my opinion, I totally see the Pats going with the best player available rout this time around, so I say it all depends on who slips in the 1st round low enough for us to draft.  Trying to project position of need with regards to the 1st round pick this year is probably a futile exercise because the Pats may just grab a player at a position that none of us seen coming!

RB will be a huge priority this year as Faulk will be a free agent this year, while Taylor, Maroney, and Morris will be free agents in '11.  That said, most of the most highly regarded Rb's in this draft are the change of pace speedster variety.  Dwyer seems like an enticing option if available (he most likely will be).

Lastly, I fully expect that one of those 2nd rounders ends up being traded away for an established player.  The Pats are starting to become a very young team, and Belichick may feel that having someone with experience may be the better way to go in order to balance things out a little.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I've already stated in multiple posts that while I'd like for them to be aggressive, trade up and get an elite defensive player, that it's completely against their MO.  Are they moving up into the top 5?  Prob not.  Is moving up to the top 15 conceivable?  I think it is because the size of the contract and guaranteed dollars take a large drop outside of the top 10.  If said elite defensive player drops (McClain, Cody etc) outside the top 10, I want them to make a play for them.  I'll concede that Suh and Berry etc are more pipedream than anything, but it can be argued that acquiring a player of their talent level could put this defense over the top.  McClain is the guy I'm particularly high on, he has the size and skillset to play inside and out, the instincts, closing ability to drop back into coverage, the speed to rush the passer, and the size to set the edge.  I'm not ready to say that he's out of the question because of Gary Guyton, no way.  BB loves versatility, this guy provides it and then some (can play in a 3-4 or 4-3) and he's been dominant in far and away the most talented conference in America.  Not to mention there have only been 3 ILB taken in the top 10 in the last 15 years (Mayo  and Rivers in 2008, Urlacher in 2000.....AJ Hawk could be argued, but he came out as a OLB) so the chances of him being there are pretty decent.

If they do stay at their assigned draft position which I'm guessing will be in the bottom quarter of round 1, I'd welcome a player like Jermaine Gresham, he'd provide a clear upgrade to their TE corp as he can stretch the seam and also provide a lot of value as an inline blocker.  IMO, he's a better prospect than Pettigrew (20th overall in 2009) who was a beast of a blocker, decent receiver but has questionable speed.

Outside some of the obvious names being thrown around Dwyer, Spikes, Haden etc, some other less talked about guys that could be in the picture are Marvin Austin (6-3 305 DT from UNC), one of the Pouncey brothers from Florida (Maurkice 6-5 318 C, Mike 6-5 320 OG) and a guy I really like after watching him against ND is third year sophmore (draft eligible) Chris Galippo (6-2 250 ILB, USC), he could be a real darkhorse though it's tough to gauge where he'd be projected at the moment or if he'll declare.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 2nd round picks from Tennessee and Jacksonville : I watched Suh play last week. What a monster, he's like a man playing with boys. We need a guy like him badly.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

Suh is an amazing ballplayer. Despite drawing double teams (and, on occasion triple teams!), he leads the team in tackles, TFL, sacks, and hurries for the second straight year...as a defensive tackle. He is lightning quick, which allows him to contain mobile QB's, and fast enough that he regularly makes plays 15-20 yards downfield. How many DT's can leap up at the line of scrimmage and, not just bat the ball down, but pick it? He has done it twice, once this year and once last year (for a TD).  He weighs 300, but is so lean, he looks more like 250-260. He will probably top out around 325 in the pros. He is also one of the most intelligent players you will ever see.
    Kiper has him #1 on the draft board right now, though, so don't hold your breath.