2010 Biggest draft bust

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

Re: 2010 Biggest draft bust

JERRY HUGHES..The Colts picked him in the first round out of TCU(I think TCU). Its way to early to call anyone a bust but so far Hughes is up there in the bust cat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Biggest draft bust:
    JERRY HUGHES..The Colts picked him in the first round out of TCU(I think TCU). Its way to early to call anyone a bust but so far Hughes is up there in the bust cat.
    Posted by patriots1a2

You can't call the guy a bust when he is playing behind 2 pro bowlers.  He didn't have opportunity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

To really be able to call a guy a "bust", you'd have to give him three seasons. Though there are exceptions, most rookies take their first season to learn the pro game pace. By year two they should show marked improvement. And if they are not contributing members by their third year I'd say they were a bust. And that means seasons of getting snaps in, not riding the pine. We should be looking at the picks from 07 and 08 to determine (in our own opinions) who was actually a wasted pick. Hell, around here if McCourty has a sophomore slump and looks bad next year he'll be called a bust! But I really don't think we'll look back two years from now and find many busts in NEs 2010 draft!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Way to earlier to call anyone a bust. If we want to speculate it may turn out to be Sergio Kindle for Baltimore.  Not sure if you call it a bust or bad luck but reports are out now that because of his fall down his stairs and head injury he may have to miss all of next year as well and possibly never play again.  Ouch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Biggest draft bust : You can't call the guy a bust when he is playing behind 2 pro bowlers.  He didn't have opportunity.
    Posted by MarcW1

Hughes is playing behind 2 pro bowlers on the Colts D??? If this is true then that has to be an idiotic pick then! Why take Hughes when you know you have 2 pro bowlers??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Reserve this discussion for offseason 2013. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joerock22. Show joerock22's posts

In Response to 2010 Biggest draft bust:
    What's your opinion?  I say it is C.J. Spiller .
    Posted by EF

I wouldn't call him a bust because the Bills aren't using him as a feature back.  If he was getting 20+ carries a game, I have no doubt he'd be at or close to 1000 yards.  It seems like almost every time he touches the ball (against the Patriots), he's making a big play.  That 40-yard completion over Arrington last Sunday comes to mind. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To really be able to call a guy a "bust", you'd have to give him three seasons. Though there are exceptions, most rookies take their first season to learn the pro game pace. By year two they should show marked improvement. And if they are not contributing members by their third year I'd say they were a bust. And that means seasons of getting snaps in, not riding the pine. We should be looking at the picks from 07 and 08 to determine (in our own opinions) who was actually a wasted pick. Hell, around here if McCourty has a sophomore slump and looks bad next year he'll be called a bust! But I really don't think we'll look back two years from now and find many busts in NEs 2010 draft!
    Posted by bubthegrub2

Agreed. Definitely too early to label anyone a 'bust'.

As far as first round disappointments in their rookie year, there are plenty of those. I'd have to split my pick, and just go ahead and give it to...

Denver

Demaryious Thomas at 22
    Tim Tebow at 25
    Josh McDaniels fired at 34

Thomas has hauled in a whopping 22 catches for less than 300 yards. Tebow should have never been a first round pick to begin with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Dez Bryant if you go by one year time frames. there we're alot of people screaming to get Kindle in April. Glad Bill B makes the picks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Way to earlier to call anyone a bust. If we want to speculate it may turn out to be Sergio Kindle for Baltimore.  Not sure if you call it a bust or bad luck but reports are out now that because of his fall down his stairs and head injury he may have to miss all of next year as well and possibly never play again.  Ouch.
    Posted by Patsman2

Yeah, I've heard that too, we really dodged a bullet with that pick.

After Kindle, I would have to say Ryan Mathews of the Chargers.  They traded up high in the first round for him and he's done next to nothing (mostly due to injury).

Obviously it is still far to early to call anyone a bust, except for possibly Kindle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Around here, a player is a bust if he had one bad game. There will be threads about trading or cutting him, and questioning BB for not doing so soon enough. So I assume a thread about busts among rookies even before the first season is completed is not necessarily premature ejection.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Actually, this 1st round draft class may become the best in years.  There are alot of great talent from Berry to Haden, Dunlap and Suh, and Thomas and McCourtney.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It's been 3 years since the 2008 draft which would make that a good topic for discussion, unfortunately the biggest bust is so obvious that there is no room for discussion.

Vernon "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" Gholston, please step up and claim your prize!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

CJ Spiller is on the worst team in the best division in football, he is a full sized running back returning kicks and has been solid and explosive. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I agree with Kindle.  He literally "busted" his head.

And to expand on what PatsFanGermany said, it was not only one of the best 1st rds in yrs but one of the best overall drafts.

I heard that Tampa Bay decided not to pursue free agents this offseason because they were so confident (probably a bit cheap also) that they could rebuild thru this draft.  They have 15 rookies on the team this yr including some guys who look pretty solid.  They've even gotten big production out of draft choices that were cut by other teams, such as LaGarrette Blount (941 yds, 5.2 avg).  And i hadn't even realized that Ted Larsen, who the Pats drafted and cut, has been starting at guard for them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Kyle Wilson.  Benched as a nickel back.  Only sees the field due to injuries at Safety and no one else to play nickel or dime.  Extremely poor 1st rd value.

J-E-T-S!   Jets! Jets! Jets!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

And better yet BBReigns, many people were whining at draft time that Bill took the inferior CB when he nabbed McCourty.  He was called a "special teams player" while Wilson was trumpeted as a great cover guy.

It's not hindsight, because I said it at the time, but it's hilarious now that everyone jumped on the Jets bandwagon because they got some high profile names in the offseason.  What they really did was blow an opportunity to take advantage of the best draft in yrs. 

While NE loaded up, the Jets drafted:

rd 1 - Wilson (already discussed by BBReigns)

rd 2 - Vlad Ducasse (a reach pick out of UMass because he's a project)

rd 4 - Joe McNight (hasn't done squat and looks even worse because they kept him and let Woody go)

rd 5 - John Conner (a blocking FB)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I've picked guys to be busts the day after the draft.  I picked DeWayne Shrimpy-Arms Robertson and Vernon Stone-Hips Gholston just fine.  I probably underrated Tim Tebow, though. 

For 2010 I'll stick with Kyle Shrimpy-Arms Wilson, although he's certainly not half as big a bust as the first two I mentioned, or Jenn Sterger for that matter.  Mini-Me will never grow longer arms.  He'll always be a liability in run defense and he'll always be a little short-handed in interceptions and tips.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It's been 3 years since the 2008 draft which would make that a good topic for discussion, unfortunately the biggest bust is so obvious that there is no room for discussion. Vernon "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" Gholston, please step up and claim your prize!

Posted by mbeaulieu07

A good reason to wait three years in that same draft: Chris Long.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Biggest draft bust : A good reason to wait three years in that same draft: Chris Long.
    Posted by Muzwell

Another good example of a player who continues to progress.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Biggest draft bust : Another good example of a player who continues to progress.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Yeah there are a lot of guys that have taken longer than expected; Larry Johnson (did nothing at first), Priest Holmes (although not a high pick)...there has to be at least a dozen guards and tackles, along with some D lineman. I remember when the Jets drafted Farrior and he was called a bust; then he goes to Pittsburgh and has an awesome career and is still considered one of the best at his position. Keyshawn Johnson's first year wasn't too hot and he went on to be one of the toughest possesion recievers I've ever seen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

And better yet BBReigns, many people were whining at draft time that Bill took the inferior CB when he nabbed McCourty .   He was called a "special teams player" while Wilson was trumpeted as a great cover guy. It's not hindsight, because I said it at the time, but it's hilarious now that everyone jumped on the Jets bandwagon because they got some high profile names in the offseason.  What they really did was blow an opportunity to take advantage of the best draft in yrs.  While NE loaded up, the Jets drafted: rd 1 - Wilson (already discussed by BBReigns) rd 2 - Vlad Ducasse (a reach pick out of UMass because he's a project) rd 4 - Joe McNight (hasn't done squat and looks even worse because they kept him and let Woody go) rd 5 - John Conner (a blocking FB)
    Posted by siestafiesta

BB's 2009 and 2010 drafts and NY's 2009 and 2010 drafts will set each organization into different directions for years to come.

Tannenrube is clueless.

Anyone who thinks a 1st rd pick shouldn't contribute is clueless.  In this era's NFL, as a 1st rd pick you should contribute and progress in some fashion as a rookie.

Kyle Wilson has been benched and looked terrible in his rookie year, hence why he's been a bust.

Darius Butler was more effective in his rookie year as a starter on the perimeter than Kyle Wilson being asked to work the slot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Biggest draft bust : Yeah there are a lot of guys that have taken longer than expected; Larry Johnson (did nothing at first), Priest Holmes (although not a high pick)...there has to be at least a dozen guards and tackles, along with some D lineman. I remember when the Jets drafted Farrior and he was called a bust; then he goes to Pittsburgh and has an awesome career and is still considered one of the best at his position. Keyshawn Johnson's first year wasn't too hot and he went on to be one of the toughest possesion recievers I've ever seen.
    Posted by mthurl

Believe it or not, Priest went undrafted!  He did go over 1000 as a rookie though, regressed (from a production stand point) the next two years, then played at an all pro level years 4-6, so you never know. Their are way too many variables that come into play with rookies, including playing time, quality of coaching, scheme/positional familiarity and fit, adjusting to the speed of the game etc.

Players like McCourty for example are the exception and not the rule.  Unfortunately, most fans/talking heads expect this kind of production from most draft picks, this expectation of course is unrealistic. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In Response to 2010 Biggest draft bust:
    What's your opinion?  I say it is C.J. Spiller .
    Posted by EF

Unless you are off the team that drafted you can't really be a bust in one year. And Spiller is certainly not a bust. He has shown some exceptional ability in games. I expect he will be a devastating player over the next several years - of course assuming the Bills are not so terrible as to undermine all their skill players.

Sections
Shortcuts