2010 draft needs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

Re: 2010 draft needs

They should draft a travel agent. Who goes to London in October?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree mighty. However, I might add that Moss deserves an extension. We can discuss how great the WR corps could be without Moss, but it looks much better with him and  I am one of those who thinks that WRs like Moss(can read and relay the coverage to Brady and is exceptional) come out of college once every five or six years; you better grab that player in the 1st or 2nd. Also have the chief belief that the Pats needn't draft a RB/FB in 1st or 2nd....especially the 1st....everyone thought the Pats would be invincible with Mc Fadden......turns out he's not the second coming of Adrian Peterson....just the second or fifth coming of a poor Raiders drafting strategy (Russel, Gallery etc.....). As for DBs, safeties look good (Mc Gown Sanders and Meriweather), however, BB will never pay any DB huge money (is Bodden gone ?) and Wilhite looks injury prone....you still need DBs that can play  the nickel and dime. I like what I have seen from Butler and firmly believe that he will be a better player in his 2nd and 3rd year (like Meriweather).

I never understood why Belichick gave Kaczur a contract before Mankins. I still think Mankins is our best O Linemen (although Vollmer looks very good at this early stage in his development). O Line is concern given the # of vets that will be FAs and obviously protecting Brady is always a concern.

Like mentioned in earlier post, I won't be surrprised if BB drafts a TE in 2010.

How does the best defensive player (arguably) and future NT not get mentioned ? Fork is pretty good at what he does and it's still to early to evaluate Brace. I don't necessarily agree with those that think that Brace will be playing  the nose as effectively as Wilfork. I still think a very good DE/DT (3-4 DE/4-3 DT) is essential....especially if Wilfork bolts.

I guess I saved the best for last (skipping the OLB ), a nice directional punter that can pin it deep to control field position games is always a good thing, but I won't trade a 2nd to get him (unless it's Ray Guy !)

Long posts....GF is out of town on business.....forth JD and ginger I'm on...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

So many extentions this year I forgot about Mankins.  In my opinion this past year was a big Free Agent for them though no deals as big as Moss.  Galloway, Alex Smith and Greg Lewis all cost something despite not making the team.  Otherwise we acquired Burgess, Bodden and Springs - those are well respected names though, again, nothing huge.  Might end up being an internal clean up year or they could go to the market with three #1 picks over the next two drafts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I would wager there will not be a new CBA in time for 2010.  Therefore, it's very likely we can count on Mankins and Ghost staying with us.  Also remember that we will have 2 franchise tags in an uncapped year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

we need defenders who are great blitzers, more pass rush guys and a wide receiver who can block, a road grading guard, a ballhawking safety and a WR or RB with great vision and explosiveness

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from payingfan. Show payingfan's posts

In Response to 2010 draft needs:
    Im trying to think what the biggest needs are.I think DT,TE,C,OLB,RB,P,WR, are area of concern round 1. TE round 2  DT round 2  OLB round 2  C round 4  RB round 6  WR round 7  P Tell me what you think......
    Posted by hoyle

Last year only proved that the Pats won't be paying first round prices.  So they will just have to get lucky in the 2nd were players don't get paid nearly as much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BXBoston. Show BXBoston's posts

Noel Devine RB West Virginia

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Lets just hope they stay in the FIRST rd and take first round talent instead of dropping down.  (example: See Mayo!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs:
    In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Terrance Cody looks like a great prospect i had him as our first round draft pick last year before he opted to stay in school.  Hopefully we don't need a nose tackle in this years draft due to resigning wilfork.  i think our needs for the next draft are as follows: 1. OLB (the pass rush is terrible, we need the next McGinist terrorizing opposing QB's, lets find the next mayo at OLB) 2. Oline Improved O-line can help the run game and protect tom better giving him more time to throw 3. RB  (BJGE, fred taylor, and maroney have all looked pretty good this year, but BJGE is the only young one) 4. NT (hopefully this won't be a need at all, but with all the contracts expiring on the D-line this could be a need soon) 5. ILB (mayo and guyton are great but it would be nice to have more depth) 6. WR (we have alot of rookies who will get better with experience in the system) 7. TE (baker looked great at the beginning of the season and watson has performed well (how about germain gresham?)) 8. QB- brady won't last forever and since O'connell wasn't the answer it is time to find him. 9. DB- hopefully we will be able to resign bodden for a reasonable contract but depth here is never a bad thing 10. P- hanson isn't the best due to being inconsistant
    Posted by natesubs

Yeah, Cody has been a beast and against top competition.  Wilfork is certainly the X factor in this case.

As for QB, I know it wouldn't be a popular pick, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a QB high to groom long term behind Brady.  On paper this appears to be a fairly strong QB class with Clausen and Tebow (polar opposites in style) being the guys that I'm high on, with Clausen being the front runner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : wow good analysis dude! you hit it on the nail with Charles Scott, i think BB would look at him and think about the Corey Dillon days, Scott would be an awesome pick in the 2nd round! I also like Decker at receiver, i think we can either get him or Shipley with one of our 4 top picks, Shipley also has return abilities which might play a big part in his evaluation. if logan mankins doesnt come back, then we definitely have to look at the guards in this years draft! i love draft talk lol
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

Thanks man!  I love draft talk too, I'm definitely a draft junkie.

Yeah, Scott could be the Dillon like between the tackles hammer that they've been sorely lacking.

Shipley could be an option as well, but from the scouting reports I've read he was completely taken out of the game by Oklahoma, couldn't get off the line against press man coverage and wasn't able to seperate which will be a problem at the next level, IMO he's probably more of a slot guy.

As for the OG position, if Mankins isn't resigned, they may just insert Rich Ohrnberger (4th round) or George Bussey (5th round) (depending on development), both of whom were taken in the 2009 draft. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The team needs a LE, a good OLB, and a good RB. 

They need help at defense more than offense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Right, I forgot about our injured reserve:

QBBrady, HoyerHoyer
    RBMarony, Morris, Taylor 
    WRMoss, Welker, Jules, Aiken, TateWelker, Jules, Aiken, Tate
    TEBakerBaker
    OTLight, Kaczur, Vollmer, LevoirKaczur, Vollmer, Levoir
    OGOhrnberger, Simmons, Bussey, (Mankins)Ohrnberger, Simmons, Bussey
    CKoppenKoppen

DTWarren, Wright, Pryor, BraceWarren, Wright, Pryor, Brace
    3-4 OLBThomas, TBC, CrableThomas, TBC, Crable
    3-4 ILBMayo, Guyton, Alexander, McKenzieMayo, Guyton, Alexander, McKenzie
    CBButler, Wilhite, Wheatley, SpringsButler, Wilhite, Wheatley, Springs
    SMerriweather, McGowan, Chung, Sanders, Lockett, SlaterMerriweather, Chung, Sanders, Lockett, Slater

K(Ghost) 
    P  
    LSIngramIngram

Now our roster is looking really stocked.  Our only real needs next year are kicker, punter and tight end.  Bring on the BPA!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Wow this is early... but I bet they have been working on this since the day after 2009 draft ended.
    It is blatently obvious they need LB more then any other position. They need to draft one more young guy to go with Mayo Preferably someone who can play OLB in a 3-4.
    Then you have to look at RB in my opinion. They don't like to but this should be a deep draft and taking a decent RB in one of the first two rounds should be possible with little risk. 

Third biggest need is WR or OL...3a/3b so to speak. WR because Moss is getting older and other then he and Welker right now thats your depth (I like Tate and Edelman but who knows.  OL has some youth that looks strong as Vollmer I think is close to replacing Light maybe as soon as from now on (Light may not get his starting job back at least as a LT, could he play RT or is he unable to switch sides some can and some cant?!) Mankins has to be resigned in my opinion he is Pro-Bowl material year in and year out, and Koppen is a good Center and Brady and he seem to always work well together I just read a stat that shows them having the fewest exchange mistakes of any QB/C in something like 15 years. 

S With McGowan, Merriweather, Chung and Sanders that is a very solid group.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Yeah, Cody has been a beast and against top competition.  Wilfork is certainly the X factor in this case. As for QB, I know it wouldn't be a popular pick, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking a QB high to groom long term behind Brady.  On paper this appears to be a fairly strong QB class with Clausen and Tebow (polar opposites in style) being the guys that I'm high on, with Clausen being the front runner.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Not Belichicks style to draft a QB high right now... Hoyer may be that replacement after he sits a long time like a Steve Young.

As for Tebow... will never be a great QB in NFL mark my words. Clausen on the other hand I can agree with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Not Belichicks style to draft a QB high right now... Hoyer may be that replacement after he sits a long time like a Steve Young. As for Tebow... will never be a great QB in NFL mark my words. Clausen on the other hand I can agree with.
    Posted by DaBlade

Assuming Belichick has a style.  No one thought he'd ever take a LB in the first round, let alone the top 10.  No one expected him to take O'Connell in the third round in 2007. With this front office anything is conceivably possible.  I also don't deny that Hoyer may be the guy or eventually the guy.

I like Tebow's leadership, intelligence, size, arm strength and athleticism, but there are the obvious concerns about him running a more pro style offense.  The big if would be a team looking to buck the trend, run the spread/wildcat on a regular bases which to this point would be thought of as crazy.  Any team that makes Gruden it's next coach could realistically do so as his man crush on Tebow's and his ability might be greater than his man crush for Wrangler Fav-re.......Tebow's size could make it possible.

Like I said though, I'm a big fan of Clausen and he would be my choice IF they decide to go high on a QB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Thanks man!  I love draft talk too, I'm definitely a draft junkie. Yeah, Scott could be the Dillon like between the tackles hammer that they've been sorely lacking. Shipley could be an option as well, but from the scouting reports I've read he was completely taken out of the game by Oklahoma, couldn't get off the line against press man coverage and wasn't able to seperate which will be a problem at the next level, IMO he's probably more of a slot guy. As for the OG position, if Mankins isn't resigned, they may just insert Rich Ohrnberger (4th round) or George Bussey (5th round) (depending on development), both of whom were taken in the 2009 draft. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

What do you think about brandon spikes?? lol!

omg he would go great with mayo inside in the 3-4 but i also do like gary guyton in there. and we havent seen what Tyrone mckenzie brings to the table either, but wow brandon spikes is a savage!

ok so we both agree that Eric Decker would be a better option at receiver than shipley.

but no matter what! I hope our outside linebacker position is solidified via draft of free agency!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : What do you think about brandon spikes?? lol! omg he would go great with mayo inside in the 3-4 but i also do like gary guyton in there. and we havent seen what Tyrone mckenzie brings to the table either, but wow brandon spikes is a savage! ok so we both agree that Eric Decker would be a better option at receiver than shipley. but no matter what! I hope our outside linebacker position is solidified via draft of free agency!
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

Spikes has good instincts, good size and is a good leader, he's also effective against both the run and pass and should be a 3 down LB in the NFL.  He could be a beast in the Pat's 3-4 as he has the ability to drop into coverage and make plays on the ball (4 career INT's to this point, returned 2 for TD's), he also has the SEC/Urban Meyer connection which could make him more appealing to BB.  The knock on him is that he can be a bit undisciplined at times and can over run plays..

I'm still interested to see what Crable can do on the outside, just hope that he can turn things around, manage to stay healthy, he has talent though and was good at making plays behind the line of scrimmage at Michigan (7.5 sacks and 26.5 tackles for loss as a senior).

I'd love to see them take a shot at Eric Norwood (6-0 252, 4.67 40) the OLB from South Carolina as he excels at bringing pressure of the edge against top competition in the SEC (I guess it's pretty clear what I think of the talent crop in the SEC).  He doesn't have ideal size for a Belichick 3-4 OLB, but I've seen him compared to Elvis Dumervil (due to size/skill set) who currently plays in the Denver 3-4 and leads the NFL in sacks with 10.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Gresham could be lethal with Brady throwing to him.

He could be a deal at the end of round one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Re: A Realistic Look at 2010

In Response to Re: A Realistic Look at 2010:
    I will also say that I think the whole "alienating of fans" concept is a bit overrated.  Minnesota went through an offseason where they lost both Torii Hunter AND Johan Santana, and they still have their fans.  Cleveland has recently lost C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee & Victor Martinez, among others, and the club let them go because they knew that it was best for the franchise in the big picture.  And then there's Pittsburgh... And people still go to Pacers games even after what Ron Artest did.  Sure, these things are upsetting to the fans at the moment.  But time moves on, a new face of the franchise emerges and people forget.  It happens everywhere. EDIT: Jake Peavy was the face of his franchise.  He was moved.  Now Adrian Gonzalez is its face, and yet everyone is convinced that he is moving.  And then there's Halladay...
    Posted by RS0407

now these are good, valid points...

but i think the twins knew santana was hurting which gave them all the more incentive to trade him because aside from a few santana-esque performances, he is clearly not the same guy he was in minny

and peavy is a good example of what im talking about...they didnt trade him before the new stadium opened...maybe they should have...but they didnt...and this is where the marlins are at with hanley...fair enough?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : Spikes has good instincts, good size and is a good leader, he's also effective against both the run and pass and should be a 3 down LB in the NFL.  He could be a beast in the Pat's 3-4 as he has the ability to drop into coverage and make plays on the ball (4 career INT's to this point, returned 2 for TD's), he also has the SEC/Urban Meyer connection which could make him more appealing to BB.  The knock on him is that he can be a bit undisciplined at times and can over run plays.. I'm still interested to see what Crable can do on the outside, just hope that he can turn things around, manage to stay healthy, he has talent though and was good at making plays behind the line of scrimmage at Michigan (7.5 sacks and 26.5 tackles for loss as a senior). I'd love to see them take a shot at Eric Norwood (6-0 252, 4.67 40) the OLB from South Carolina as he excels at bringing pressure of the edge against top competition in the SEC (I guess it's pretty clear what I think of the talent crop in the SEC).  He doesn't have ideal size for a Belichick 3-4 OLB, but I've seen him compared to Elvis Dumervil (due to size/skill set) who currently plays in the Denver 3-4 and leads the NFL in sacks with 10.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

i agree with everything.

but instead of Norwood (who is a damn good player by the way) how about Georve Selvie from south florida? he does have ideal size at 6'4 about 255, he is also a tremendous pass rusher like Norwood, but has better size. I would want to know who can set the edge effectively against the run... that would be the difference knowing BB and his run 1st pass 2nd coaching schemes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 draft needs : i agree with everything. but instead of Norwood (who is a damn good player by the way) how about Georve Selvie from south florida? he does have ideal size at 6'4 about 255, he is also a tremendous pass rusher like Norwood, but has better size. I would want to know who can set the edge effectively against the run... that would be the difference knowing BB and his run 1st pass 2nd coaching schemes.
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

Personally I'm not as high on Selvie as I am on Norwood, but he is a good player.  His sack totals have declined though since his sophmore year (14 in 2007, down to 5 in 2008, he has 3 thus far this year) which is probably due to drawing double teams with teams scheming to stop him.  IMO, he might not even be the best prospect on his own team.  I watched Jason Pierre-Paul completely dominate in USF's game against Cincinnati, pressuring the pocket all night, he's a 6-6 265 junior with an enormous wing span and 4.7 speed. 

I'm also pretty high on Brandon Graham (6-2 265) from Michigan, he's another tough, hardworking player who can play the run and has some experience dropping back into coverage, though it's a work in progress.  He can also bring some pressure off the edge with 23 career sacks (8 in 2007, 10 in 2008 and 5 thus far this year).  He has the size and skill set similar to Lamar Woodley's when he came out of Michigan (now a 3-4 OLB for the Steelers).  Belichick also appears to have a fondness for Michigan LB's (Woods, Crable and Prescott Burgess for a bit haha).

Sections
Shortcuts