2010 Draft Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

2010 Draft Talk

I know I know, it's 2009 and they've only played 3 games, big deal.  To me, it's never to early to talk draft.

Below is my first installment of the 2010 mock draft and I only went through round 4 in this version.  IMO, they need the big YOUNG bruising back that they can hammer between the tackles to wear down defenses, also need a #2 wideout to split opposite Moss.  They are also in need quality LB's and players who can pressure the QB. 

Ideally I'd love for them to trade up and get S Eric Berry (Tennessee), he could be the most dynamic playmaking defensive player in the draft.  He's in the mold of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu.  I'm a huge fan of the Chung pick and think he'll develop into a quality safety, but think Berry is on another level at this point.   I also love Tim Tebow as a potential long term developmental player,  but believe he will be gone by the time they pick which I assume is the bottom quarter of the round.

NamePosCollegeSize Comments
    1st rd (assigned)Jonathan DwyerRBGeorgia Tech5-11 235NE finally gets its big, young, bruising back that will allow them to pound the ball between the tackles to wear down opposing defenses.
    2nd rd (from Jaguars)Eric NorwoodOLBSouth Carolina6-0 252Elite pass rusher in the SEC who can get to the QB and create havoc behind the line of scrimmage, he plays with good instincts and physicality.  Like Graham, he's shorter than what NE generally drafts at LB/DE, but the guy can play.  The big time 3-4 pass rush OLB that they've been looking for.
    2nd rd (from Titans)Brandon GrahamOLB/DEMichigan6-1 263Elite intangibles, instincts and competitiveness, plays with a non-stop motor.  Decent pash rusher (18 career sacks to this point) who has experience dropping back into coverge and can stay on the field all 3 downs.  He's in the Lamar Woodley mold.
    2nd rd (assigned)Eric DeckerWRMinnesota6-3 215Tough, smart, sure handed #2 receiver to play opposite Moss.
    4th rd (assigned)Kyle CallowayOTIowa6-7 315Big tough, versatile, athletic tackle with a lot of experience in a zone blocking scheme.  He's effective at both run/pass blocking and Belichick has ties to Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: For Draft Junkies.......My 2010 Mock Version 1

Pretty high for Dwyer.  I only see one RB making the 1st round and that's Spiller out of Clemson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: For Draft Junkies.......My 2010 Mock Version 1:
    Pretty high for Dwyer.  I only see one RB making the 1st round and that's Spiller out of Clemson.
    Posted by garytx

You're also going to see Jahvid Best go in the first round if and when he declares.  A lot of juniors will declare early to avoid a possible rookie salary scale in 2011.  As things sit right now, I don't see the bottom portion of the 1st round as too high for Dwyer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: 2010 Draft Talk

It's difficult for me to say this, but I think you have too many LBs in your mock.

One top flight pass rusher should suffice in the early rounds, and maybe a Jasper Brinkley-like ILB thumper a bit later on.

Between Welker, Edelman, and Tate, we have 3 exceptional slot receivers, and Tate has some ability to stretch the field. A big WR would be useful, and I'll look into Decker, but the Pats might be better off getting another Stalworth off the FA pile, given their track record of drafting WRs.

I think Jahvid Best would be devastating on the Patriots, especially if Moss can continue to stretch the field for another year.

This could be the fun draft, where a RB, WR, and TE are taken early, along with a pass rusher. Imagine Best, Gresham, a WR, and pass rusher all taken by round 2!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Draft Talk:
    It's difficult for me to say this, but I think you have too many LBs in your mock. One top flight pass rusher should suffice in the early rounds, and maybe a Jasper Brinkley-like ILB thumper a bit later on. Between Welker, Edelman, and Tate, we have 3 exceptional slot receivers, and Tate has some ability to stretch the field. A big WR would be useful, and I'll look into Decker, but the Pats might be better off getting another Stalworth off the FA pile, given their track record of drafting WRs. I think Jahvid Best would be devastating on the Patriots, especially if Moss can continue to stretch the field for another year. This could be the fun draft, where a RB, WR, and TE are taken early, along with a pass rusher. Imagine Best, Gresham, a WR, and pass rusher all taken by round 2!
    Posted by arodrambone

I too thought it might be one LB too many, the tough part for me right now is trying to figure out what their base scheme will be long term.  If they go to a 4-3, Graham could be a Derrick Burgess type/size player on the edge, but he also appears shows the potential to stand up in a 3-4 and Belichick loves that versatility.  Also, who knows what to make of Crable at this point, he has potential which is why they've kept him around, but he can't get on the field.  They may need a couple guys on the outside, personally, I don't want TBC, Woods or Ninkovich starting long term.

I too like Javid Best, but I'm assuming he'll be drafted in the top 10-15 so they'd have to trade up to get him.  Gresham is an intriguing guy as well, he's out the rest of the season, so we'll see how that plays out, he's certainly been productive.  Another guy to keep an eye on is Ed Dickson (6-4 245), he's a TE/H-back out of Oregon,  he has the speed and athleticism to stretch the seam and provide mismatches in the slot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"Another guy to keep an eye on is Ed Dickson (6-4 245), he's a TE/H-back out of Oregon,  he has the speed and athleticism to stretch the seam and provide mismatches in the slot."

Yeah, we haven't had a crazy fast TE in as long as I can remember. Watson seems to be doing a decent job in trying to fill that role this year.

It will be interesting to see how all the athletic TEs from the 2009 draft do this year. Not many of them could block, but I'm interested in the idea of stretching a defense from the TE position if Moss slows down next year and/or another WR burner isn't acquired next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

"Another guy to keep an eye on is Ed Dickson (6-4 245), he's a TE/H-back out of Oregon,  he has the speed and athleticism to stretch the seam and provide mismatches in the slot." Yeah, we haven't had a crazy fast TE in as long as I can remember. Watson seems to be doing a decent job in trying to fill that role this year. It will be interesting to see how all the athletic TEs from the 2009 draft do this year. Not many of them could block, but I'm interested in the idea of stretching a defense from the TE position if Moss slows down next year and/or another WR burner isn't acquired next year.
    Posted by arodrambone

I agree, NE has their blocking TE's in Chris Baker and Michael Matthews (Baker can also catch the ball as evident by his 36 yard TD against Atlanta), would like to see them get another TE that can catch the ball consistently and move the chains, provide some big plays (something they don't always get from Watson).

Also, I tweaked my mock a bit as I definitely had one too many LB's. they'll need depth there as Light isn't getting any younger.  I'd say maybe an OG, but they took 2 in last years draft (Ohrnberger/active roster and Bussey/IR).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeepguy2358. Show jeepguy2358's posts

Posted by garytx

Just like every year, I get to hear how Clemson is going to win the ACC and they end up terrible, but Spiller is the real deal.  Get rid of Maroney and draft Spiller.  He will be late 1st, early 2nd.  He has it all.  I can't stand watching Clemson (b/c everyone loves them), but he is dynamic and is a threat to run back a punt or kick.  Give him a little open room and he is gone.  Nobody can catch him.

Fred Taylor
    Sammy Morris
    BenJarvis Green Ellis
    CJ Spiller

That is a hard group to beat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: For Draft Junkies.......My 2010 Mock Version 1 : Just like every year, I get to hear how Clemson is going to win the ACC and they end up terrible, but Spiller is the real deal.  Get rid of Maroney and draft Spiller.  He will be late 1st, early 2nd.  He has it all.  I can't stand watching Clemson (b/c everyone loves them), but he is dynamic and is a threat to run back a punt or kick.  Give him a little open room and he is gone.  Nobody can catch him. Fred Taylor Sammy Morris BenJarvis Green Ellis CJ Spiller That is a hard group to beat.
    Posted by jeepguy2358

I'm not against a player like Spiller as he certainly is dynamic with the ball in his hands.  My reasoning is that it's harder to find a true between the tackles bell cow type back than a guy who can operate in space.  They could also take a look at Noel Devine in the 2nd round, he's small (a little bigger than Sproles), but is electric with the ball in his hands.  To me, Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris aren't long term options and BJGE hasn't played his way into the rotation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

LeGarrette Blount

Pick one  - Carlos Dunlap, Florida, DE
    pick two - LeGarrette Blount, Oregon, RB: Famous for the Boise sucker punch. His stock fell fast after that incident. I can see Belichick pulling a Corey Dillion and drafting him. 

Other picks don't matter. I already throw out the controversial pick. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J109. Show J109's posts

speculating on actual players seems pretty far out there, not knowing what are picks are going to be and whos gonna be available.

I don't see the Pats drafting a RB, WR, or QB in the first round until the 2011 draft when there is a rookie cap on first round.

I suspect that the Pats may even trade away a 2nd rnder for the next years first round.

My guess is that if there is a top DL or ILB available for the value of their pick that would be their preference.  Almost certainly we will draft another CB to develop.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

LeGarrette Blount Pick one  - Carlos Dunlap, Florida, DE pick two - LeGarrette Blount, Oregon, RB: Famous for the Boise sucker punch. His stock fell fast after that incident. I can see Belichick pulling a Corey Dillion and drafting him.  Other picks don't matter. I already throw out the controversial pick. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Dunlap is highly rated and has the ideal size for a Belichick DL, they'd need to trade up to the top 10 or so to get him.  I don't see them taking a flyer on Blount before the 6th or 7th round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

speculating on actual players seems pretty far out there, not knowing what are picks are going to be and whos gonna be available. I don't see the Pats drafting a RB, WR, or QB in the first round until the 2011 draft when there is a rookie cap on first round. I suspect that the Pats may even trade away a 2nd rnder for the next years first round. My guess is that if there is a top DL or ILB available for the value of their pick that would be their preference.  Almost certainly we will draft another CB to develop.
    Posted by J109

That's part of the fun, the one thing we know about Patriots is that they're unpredictable when it comes to drafting.........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

I love your #1 pick but I don't see BB using it on a RB. I also can't see him drafting 6' or 6'1 OLBs. Remember, he passed on some high quality guys this year just because they just didn't have the 6'4"+  height that he wants at that position.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I love your #1 pick but I don't see BB using it on a RB. I also can't see him drafting 6' or 6'1 OLBs. Remember, he passed on some high quality guys this year just because they just didn't have the 6'4"+  height that he wants at that position.
    Posted by unclealfie

Is that why he passed on the USC LBs?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

I'd like to see them take Eric Berry and/or Eric Norwood, but not Tim Tebow.

The guy is a product of the system and he's not a 1st or 2nd round talent, unless a team over-values what he "might" be able to do for their team.  He's not going to make it as an NFL QB.  He'll be a HB, FB, or TE; but nothing else.  He's too slow to be a scrambling QB, delivery is slow, mechanics are off, etc etc.  He's a great college talent, no doubt about that, but it just doesn't translate to the NFL.  For Urban Meyer's system, he seems to be the absolutely ideal QB, but that's for college.

While Spiller would be a nice back, I think we need more of a pounder.  Blounte (or however you spell it) would be nice, imo. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i agree 100% with the dwyer prediction.  after the game against the falcons i finally remembered what it was like to be a pats fan during the championship years.  smashmouth running and i solid defense.  obviously, after the first round peoples opinions become drastically different, but i wholeheartedly agree with dwyer.  i love the draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

Look for them to get Corey Wooton, the HUGE DE from Northwestern. . . He'd fit perfectly in BBs system and he is a MONSTER, hed be a great 2nd rounder

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

speculating on actual players seems pretty far out there, not knowing what are picks are going to be and whos gonna be available. I don't see the Pats drafting a RB, WR, or QB in the first round until the 2011 draft when there is a rookie cap on first round. I suspect that the Pats may even trade away a 2nd rnder for the next years first round. My guess is that if there is a top DL or ILB available for the value of their pick that would be their preference.  Almost certainly we will draft another CB to develop.
    Posted by J109

I agree totally that the Patriots will not keep all three 2nd round picks. I suspect they use their first with a second round pick to move up and get someone they really want to spend first round money on and then use another second to move into 2011's draft with likely multiple picks a second and 5th maybe as few will want to give up a 2011 1st round pick.
    With the uncertainty going into 2011 I expect two picks to be used in total out of the 4 picks in rounds 1 and 2.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by unclealfie

See that's the thing, no one knows what Belichick and Co will do, but the I agree pick does make sense.  As for the LB's, I agree and mentioned that in my write up of each player, however I find it funny that they generally are against drafting an OLB under 6-4 or 6-5, yet they have no problem acquiring them via trade/free agency TBC 6-2 250 (they originally drafted him), Rob Ninkovich 6-2 255, Adalius Thomas 6-2 270, heck even Derrick Burgess is listed at 6-2 260, so it appears the heigh restriction only applies to rookies.   I've seen Brandon Graham listed at 6-2 270 as well, so  it depends on what scouting report you read.  6-5 guys like Woods, Vince Redd and Crable have done nothing to this point.  I just want guys who can play, it's not like Graham/Norwood are tiny......then again, I don't run the organization haha.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

i agree 100% with the dwyer prediction.  after the game against the falcons i finally remembered what it was like to be a pats fan during the championship years.  smashmouth running and i solid defense.  obviously, after the first round peoples opinions become drastically different, but i wholeheartedly agree with dwyer.  i love the draft.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

Thanks.  I agree with your assessment of the Atlanta game, a balanced offense and solid D is the route to a championship, IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd like to see them take Eric Berry and/or Eric Norwood, but not Tim Tebow. The guy is a product of the system and he's not a 1st or 2nd round talent, unless a team over-values what he "might" be able to do for their team.  He's not going to make it as an NFL QB.  He'll be a HB, FB, or TE; but nothing else.  He's too slow to be a scrambling QB, delivery is slow, mechanics are off, etc etc.  He's a great college talent, no doubt about that, but it just doesn't translate to the NFL.  For Urban Meyer's system, he seems to be the absolutely ideal QB, but that's for college. While Spiller would be a nice back, I think we need more of a pounder.  Blounte (or however you spell it) would be nice, imo. 
    Posted by jasonh86

There certainly are varying opinions of Tebow, so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.  I for one believe he can be a good NFL QB down the road, he certainly will need some refinement to his mechanics and ability to drop back, but he wouldn't be asked to come in and start day one.  He'd have plenty of time to develop in NE.  Not to mention his intangibles and leadership qualities are off the charts.......a large part of being a successful QB is whats in a players head.....which is why Vince Young is aweful.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Look for them to get Corey Wooton, the HUGE DE from Northwestern. . . He'd fit perfectly in BBs system and he is a MONSTER, hed be a great 2nd rounder
    Posted by Gulo

He certainly has the size they covet, listed at 6-7 270 also has the versatility (can rush the passer, set the edge and drop back into coverage) and instints that they look for.  He would be a good pick for them. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Draft Talk : Is that why he passed on the USC LBs?
    Posted by 49Patriots

Brian Cushing- was picked 15th by Houston, so they would've had to trade up to get him.

Clay Matthews- was picked 26th by Green Bay, NE had traded out of that slot, but there were rumors that Eric Wood (OL from Louisville) was the guy if they had stayed there.  Matthews was listed at 6-3 240, but I think there were concerns of him maintaining that size as he came to USC as a walk on safety (was a 160 pounder in HS).

Rey Maualuga- had Ideal size for an ILB, I think the knock on him was his ability to stay on the field for all 3 downs because of questions about his coverage ability.  He also had character red flags.  Personally, I would've liked to see NE take him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

first of all you guys are going about this wrong. first we need to look at all the players which will be FA after this season whom we are most likely not going to resign and find the spots which are the thinnest.the following players will be FA:
  26. LB Eric Alexander
  27. OL Wesley Britt
  28. K Stephen Gostkowski
  29. OL Nick Kaczur (contract extended)
  30. OL Logan Mankins
  31. OL Ryan O'Callaghan
  32. TE Alex Smith
  33. DE Le Kevin Smith
  34. TE David Thomas
  35. LB Pierre Woods
  36. WR Sam Aiken
  37. LB Tully Banta-Cain
  38. CB Leigh Bodden
  39. LB Tedy Bruschi
  40. LB Vinny Ciurciu
  41. RB Kevin Faulk
  42. WR Joey Galloway
  43. DL Jarvis Green
  44. P Chris Hanson
  45. OL Russ Hochstein
  46. LS Nathan Hodel
  47. C Al Johnson
  48. OL Stephen Neal
  49. DL Richard Seymour
  50. TE Benjamin Watson
  51. DL Vince Wilfork
  52. LB/S Tank Williams
  53. OL Billy Yates
hopefully we will be able to resign players such as wilfork, Gostkowski, Leigh Bodden, Kevin Faulk, jarvis green, hanson, etc.after we figure out which players we should be able to resign then we can worry about whom to draft (although this might be a little early to be talking about this).

Sections
Shortcuts