2010 free agents main focus defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

2010 free agents main focus defense

the pats will have 13.who comes back,and who dosent?plus all the other teams free agents.who would be a great fit for the pats?the defense needs help badly.they cant pass rush.they cant stop the run.they cant cover receivers.,and a few players are needed on offense.mainly o-line,and a receiver.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=By+Team&y=2010

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

Re: 2010 free agents who is in,and out?

I wouldnt mind seeing dumervil landing here,but im sure he will be resigned.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: 2010 free agents main focus defense

Vlad-i agree.the defense needs a lot of work,and dumervil would be huge.to where the offense only needs a few peices.starting with the o-line.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/11/wilfork-begins-to-look-at-uncertain-future/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

The Patriots brass to too cheap to sign a high profile and expensive free agents like Dumervil, plus he will be franchised.

I expect the same old, same old with retreads like Burgess, Seau, Green to be back again.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

This is brady,s contract year.I am wondering what kind of approach the pats will do with that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

They will extend him for 5-6 years

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

its hard to think the ghost wont return,but who knows what this off season will be like.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

Demeco Ryans, Shawne Merriman, Barret Ruud & D'Qwell Jackson will be FA's! What about gettin one of them?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

They really need to get a pass rush. That will fix some of the secondary problems

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Merriman is overrated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

None of these FA's will matter if they cant fit into BB's "complex" defense.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

arent they restricted free agents...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nmiller3. Show nmiller3's posts

I wonder how the new "top 8" rule effects free agency this year? I hope it royally screws over the jets.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

A few big things to consider here: (assumes an uncapped year)

1. Teams can now tag two players, not just one.  This will reduce the likelihood of any true stars hitting the open market.

2. Some of the FA's will now be restricted FA's; further reducing the market.

3. The silver lining to our loss yesterday is that we no longer have any restrictions on signing FA's.  The top 8 teams cannot sign one until they lose one, and the top 4 teams cannot sign one until they lose one of equal value.

There has always been a lot of talk about the Pats being cheap, yet another poster wrote a thread a while back showing the facts.  I think there were 20 teams with more cap space than the Pats.  In other words, the facts simply don't support the popular belief that the Pats are cheap.  Perhaps the argument should shift to whether or not we are being hamstrung by paying too many marginal players more than their value (i.e. Kaczur).  Anyway, this year will be uncapped unless a miracle occurs.  This year we will truly see if the Pats are willing to spend for good FA's.  Like I said, 20 teams are cheaper in the NFL than the Pats.  In a capped NFL, the Pats are spending more than average on players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

i dont even know what restricted is lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Joakimbrian, most of those will be RFA if there is no new CBA.  So none will be available. 

nmiller3, the Jets will only be able to add a free agent of the quality/price tag they lose.  So no big FA boom for them if there is no new CBA

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We need some cap room to resign FA's plus people already on our roster...

Who do we let go with high cap hits for next year?.....AD? ( i think his cap hit is $6.4M in 2010, and $9.4 in 2011)...that should buy us some nice FA talent that can contribute better to this roster....
    What about Moss?...keep or go?...(I think his cap hit next year is $9M). Do we want to pay $9M to a receiver who is either near over the hill, or just disappears / reappears from time to time)....

Who else has large cap hit in 2010?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Theyll franchise wilfork... its part of a business, especially if we get two franchise tags this year. Another could go to Mankins. If Wilfork doesnt like it and holds out then we can simply trade him. Superbowl wins with Vince = 0. Dont respect the business side of football than might as well get out of here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I'd say watch out for any player that another team discards.  Why does the other team think there's something wrong with them?  Burgess was a disaster so far, probably half a disaster next year too.  Joey Galloway was a high-profile disaster.   Exception:  Randy Moss.  Exception:  Corey Dillon in his prime.  Attitude is often a useful problem, but make sure it's the other coach's attitude problem.

Wilfork won't like it but if he's franchised he'll have to play.  Wilfork can encourage a trade, and another team will gladly overpay in draft choices for Wilfork.  Wilfork won't go to the Raiders though:  BB wants their 2011 first rounder to be as close to the #1 pick as possible.

BB got a good receiver for a draft pick or two.  Welker was a restricted free agent who Miami lowballed.  Then Miami wouldn't match his $6m contract offer, and New England lost a second round pick.  NE threw in a seventh simply so Welker could start practicing with TB two months earlier.  That was a good use of a seventh.

BB has an excellent draft-picking scout team, for the later rounds at least, and will go into draft weekend all ready to sell high interest mortgages to the rest of the league.  When possible, draft them, don't buy them. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

A DT/DE who is solid both ways is a must have.  A OLB with younger Vrabel like ability is also a must have, probably 2 if they trade/release Thomas.  Another ILB to go with Mayo is also needed.  This defense is based around LB play.  The LB have to stop the run and rush the passer.  The DL are just designed to hold the OLinemen.  Who were the LB's for the Pats this year...because they were not the focus of the D they should have been. 

As far as the Offense, A new multipurpose RB, who can catch, run over people some times, and run by them other times.  OL is still turning over, as BB likes to do.  Volmer appears to beat out Light next year.  I think a stud LG run blocker would be huge.  With Moss, Welker, and Edelman they are solid at WR.  How long will Welker be out?  Likely need a new WR to be the field streatcher. 

To me, focus on LB, DT/DE, and RB.  If a WR, OG, CB etc falls in your lap you grab it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Gasper is dead on.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/gasper/2010/01/foxborough_--_t.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Yes I agree Moss, good article. Very common sense but good just the same.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Linebacker anyone?

Lofa Tatupu
    Thomas Davis
    D'Qwell Jackson
    DeMarcus Ware
    Elvis Dumervil
    D.J. Williams
    DeMeco Ryans
    Shawne Merriman
    Barrett Ruud

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I'm really concerned about where this team is going. This is definitely the biggest transition period since BB arrived. There are LOTS of decisions to be made, and at almost every position.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Digger-not sure how many of them will get resigned or tagged,but i would take any one of them.

Sections
Shortcuts