2010 Mock Draft (Rounds 1-4)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

2010 Mock Draft (Rounds 1-4)

With 4 of the first 64 picks (possibly 3 in the top 40) they have a chance to seriously upgrade the talent and depth on their roster.  An upgrade to their pass rush as well as depth and youth at OLB, RB, WR and TE are all needed.  Ideally I’d love for them to trade up (I’m assuming they’ll be picking in the bottom quarter of Rd 1) and get Rolando McClain (6-4 250, LB, Alabama) if he drops down around 15 or so.  My opinion of him has been well documented.

With that being said, here is what I think might happen if they keep their current draft positions, that's a big IF.  

Rd 1 (assigned) - Everson Griffen - 6-3 265 DE/OLB, USC- He’s a big, quick, athletic and explosive player who can bring pressure off the edge.  He has 7 sacks and 8.5 TFL through 8 games this season so he can get after the QB and make plays behind the line of scrimmage (16 career sacks to this point), he's also able to set the edge vs. the run.  Due to his athleticism, he presents some scheme versatility with the potential as a 4-3 end or a 3-4 OLB, BB loves versatility.   

Rd 2 (from Titans) - Eric Norwood - 6-1 252 OLB, S. Carolina- He doesn't possess the ideal height that BB prefers in his 3-4 OLB's, but the guy can flat out play (on track for 30+ sacks and 50+ tackles for loss in his career).  He's been dominant in the SEC and makes a living behind the line of scrimmage.  Another undersized player (relative to BB's preferences) is Brandon Graham.  He too has shown the ability to get to the QB and make plays behind the line of scrimmage (24 career sacks and 40+ tackles for loss to this point).  Florida's Jermaine Cunningham (6-3 252, DE/OLB) is another option to consider.

Rd 2 (from Jax) - Ryan Matthews - 5-11 220 RB, Fresno State - Good size and speed, he can hammer the ball between the tackles or take it the distance.  He's currently the leading rusher in the nation and there is the Pat Hill connection to consider.  If Jonathan Dwyer slips to the bottom of the 1st or top of the second, he could be an option.  Charles Scott is another player to keep an eye on in the late second or if they trade back to the 3rd round.

Rd 2 (assigned) - Golden Tate - 5-11 195 WR, Notre Dame - He’s a tough, athletic, productive, big play receiver whose gets a lot of YAC and has a ton of versatility.  He can also be utilized on running plays (came to ND as a RB) and has experience running the wild cat.  He plays in a Charlie Weis offense, so the ramp up time should be accelerated.  The development of Brandon Tate may negate this need, but as of now, I think he's a possibility, though talent and depth will be needed if they decide to let Randy Moss walk following the 2011 season.  Eric Decker (WR, Minnesota) is another option that I'm high on.

Rd 4 (assigned) - Tony Moeaki- 6-3 250 TE, Iowa - Athletic TE who can stretch the seam and create mismatches in the slot.  The BB/Ferentz connection may come into play.  Another possibility is Aaron Hernandez (TE/FB, FLA) who could serve as a jack of all trades utility type player, he's been versatile and used all over the field in different formations for the Gators.  There's also the Urban/Belichick connection and while it has no influence, he's also from CT originally.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Draft (Rounds 1-4)

I find it hard to believe that the Pats won't take a single D or O Linemen with so many contracts expiring. I like most of those players, but Belichick understands positional value and I have to believe that at least one of the top 5 will be a Linemen. Alot could depend on who signs and who doesn't (Fork, Mankins and Koppen ?) .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft (Rounds 1-4):

I find it hard to believe that the Pats won't take a single D or O Linemen with so many contracts expiring. I like most of those players, but Belichick understands positional value and I have to believe that at least one of the top 5 will be a Linemen. Alot could depend on who signs and who doesn't (Fork, Mankins and Koppen ?) .
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz

Certainly possible and I don't disagree, but remember they did take 2 OG's and an OT in last years draft, Rich Ohrnberger in the 4th round and George Bussey in the 5th, Vollmer in the 2nd.  Ohrnberger has the versatility to play C as well.

They also took 3 DL, Brace in the 2nd, Pryor in the 6th and Darryl Richard in the 7th.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

The odds of us taking two DE/LBs in the first two rounds are < the odds of us taking none.

Tate looks borderline first round right now, but maybe with one of the first two second rounders he will be there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Wow, the season's not even half over yet.  Who cares about the 2010 draft?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Wow, the season's not even half over yet.  Who cares about the 2010 draft?
    Posted by celtfan

That's a stupid question considering I created the thread, so naturally I care about the 2010 draft.

Guess what though, you don't have to read it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The odds of us taking two DE/LBs in the first two rounds are < the odds of us taking none. Tate looks borderline first round right now, but maybe with one of the first two second rounders he will be there.
    Posted by arodrambone

Yeah, I forgot how much depth and young talent they have in their OLB corp right now.........not to mention the steady pass rush (27th in the NFL in sacks as a team with 13, 5 from their OLB's or 7 if you count Burgess as an OLB)......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

Hey, your mother called.  She'd like you to get out of the basement and go look for a job.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey, your mother called.  She'd like you to get out of the basement and go look for a job.
    Posted by celtfan

C'mon, you need to try harder than that.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

I didn't mean to be so harsh.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings.  It's just that for someone to do so much analysis when we don't even know what the draft order will be, or which players might be coming out early or who will be lost in free agency, it just seems like a ridiculous exercise. 

And on top of that IT'S ABOUT THE GAMES, not the draft.

And seriously....your mother did call.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I didn't mean to be so harsh.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings.  It's just that for someone to do so much analysis when we don't even know what the draft order will be, or which players might be coming out early or who will be lost in free agency, it just seems like a ridiculous exercise.  And on top of that IT'S ABOUT THE GAMES, not the draft. And seriously....your mother did call.
    Posted by celtfan

He tries harder, yet still fails.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It is never too early to talk about the draft, although it is really early to have a mock.

I would question Ne taking two OLBs, in the first and second no less, in that mock. This isn't even a great year for that position, and we aren't even sure if NE is going to continue to stock 43 talent or 34 talent, which changes things considerably.

My hunch is that NE adds skill and OL. But that is just an early hunch. They have added "D" the last few seasons . .  . so lets see.

Although a DE or OLB (depending on how him and Pees imagine this defense) isn't out of the question. just not two back to back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

It is never too early to talk about the draft, although it is really early to have a mock. I would question Ne taking two OLBs, in the first and second no less, in that mock. This isn't even a great year for that position, and we aren't even sure if NE is going to continue to stock 43 talent or 34 talent, which changes things considerably. My hunch is that NE adds skill and OL. But that is just an early hunch. They have added "D" the last few seasons . .  . so lets see. Although a DE or OLB (depending on how him and Pees imagine this defense) isn't out of the question. just not two back to back.
    Posted by zbellino

The question on base scheme is a legit one though based on track record I'd have to guess that the 3-4 is the base scheme of choice.   Both Griffen and Norwood appear to have scheme versatility so I think they'd be a fit regardless.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Everett somewhat, but Norwood is a 3-4 guy, with a 3-4 body. If he is in the pros, I place it at 50/50 that someone moves him inside, depending on how he looks in space at the combine. But I can't think of any 43 role I would cast him in. He is too thick to play LB and too short/light to earn his pennies going toe to toe with NFL OTs on every down at 43 end.

Going for him is the fact that BB has a high estimation of Spurrier's opinion, that is IF Spurrier gives him a solid eval.

Everett is kind of light for 43 and heavy for 34, but could play a hybrid type role. Going against him is the fact that BB doesn't seem to draft out of USC.

For outside Linebacker I could see NE kicking the tires on a guy whose stock is lower than it should be in George Selvie. Bb personally visits the USF camp every season, and last year I hit paydirt predicting they would grab McKenzie out fo there.

Moreover, I am not seeing good value at OLB, in either of these kids right there. But time will tell. It is really too early to write up mocks anyhow. As we haven't even seen the combine, or who the coaches have visited with, which is the ultimate barometer.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Is Brace ready to play the nose (or DT) if Fork leaves ? I actually believe the Pats could draft a stud DE/DT to replace Seymour with Raiders 1st in 2011. I like Pryor as much as the next guy,but is he having a better rookie season than Seymour did in 2001 ? The question is where does the rush come from: 4-3 DEs or 3-4 OLBs ? I still feel that Adalius could be cut because of the significant cap hit in 2010. Burgess has done nothing and Mac Kenzie has been injured. I like Banta-Cain, but we need a better pass rush when playing teams like New Orleans and Indy, if Brees and Manning get time in the pocket the possibility of getting shredded increases. Also Bodden and Springs could be gone. I like Bodden and I hope the Pats keep him. Meriweather and Mac Gown are the present and Butler and Chung are the future. I have not been impressed with Wheatley or Wilhite. If Bodden and Springs leave the Pats would need some depth for the nickel and dime packages.

Has Orhnberger seen much PT.....Vollmer is definitely part of the future.

I have to keep reminding myself that Mayo was the only LB that Belichick has drafted in first two rounds. The plethora of 2nds increases the liklihood of drafting an DE)OLB. Will Fork sign.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Everett somewhat, but Norwood is a 3-4 guy, with a 3-4 body. If he is in the pros, I place it at 50/50 that someone moves him inside, depending on how he looks in space at the combine. But I can't think of any 43 role I would cast him in. He is too thick to play LB and too short/light to earn his pennies going toe to toe with NFL OTs on every down at 43 end. Going for him is the fact that BB has a high estimation of Spurrier's opinion, that is IF Spurrier gives him a solid eval. Everett is kind of light for 43 and heavy for 34, but could play a hybrid type role. Going against him is the fact that BB doesn't seem to draft out of USC. For outside Linebacker I could see NE kicking the tires on a guy whose stock is lower than it should be in George Selvie. Bb personally visits the USF camp every season, and last year I hit paydirt predicting they would grab McKenzie out fo there. Moreover, I am not seeing good value at OLB, in either of these kids right there. But time will tell. It is really too early to write up mocks anyhow. As we haven't even seen the combine, or who the coaches have visited with, which is the ultimate barometer.
    Posted by zbellino

Personally, at this stage I think Griffen could provide good value as a OLB/DE, he has experience rushing from a two point stance (also from a three poing) and dropping back into coverage particularly as a spy for Pryor against Ohio State, he also has the size to set the edge against the run.  He has excellent straightline speed (4.6 range) so we'll see how that translates to short area quickness, fluidity in space and COD skills all of which are needed to play OLB in the 3-4.  I also wouldn't say he's too heavy to play OLB as Adalius is listed at 6-2 270.

Norwood, certainly has more value in a 3-4 than a 4-3, I agree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I didn't mean to be so harsh.  Sorry if I hurt your feelings.  It's just that for someone to do so much analysis when we don't even know what the draft order will be, or which players might be coming out early or who will be lost in free agency, it just seems like a ridiculous exercise.  And on top of that IT'S ABOUT THE GAMES, not the draft. And seriously....your mother did call.
    Posted by celtfan

...Honestly though, IDK IF His mother did call you, but He's right...the only way you could get more stereotypically weaker than a "...your mother just called" statement, is to follow it up with the age-old inernet slur "get outta her basement...".  Oh, you did.  I mean You coulda said ANYthing other than this:  "...she's calling you upstairs because it's Stove-Top Stuffing night,"  Again, ANYthing... 

1 more thing, a rule-of-thumb on Football Messageboards:  Anticipation for The NFL Draft for Football Fans should reminisce the anticipatory facets of your best childhood Christmas (please, don't degrade yourself with me being a kid @ Xmas joke)., AND THEREfore Can and Should be discussed (at least in part), 24-7  365 days a year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i love talking about the draft.
    idk about specifics, but i think it goes like this

Round 1 (assigned) OLB/DE
    Round 2 (TENN) RB (feature back)
    Round 2 (JAX) OL
    Round 2 (assigned) BEST AVAILABLE

this is what i would do, however, god only knows what BB and this front office will do. IN BILL WE TRUST.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft (Rounds 1-4) : We have differing opinions on Griffen, I've watched him rush from a two point stance and drop back into coverage particularly as a spy for Pryor against Ohio State, looked pretty good. He also has the size to set the edge against the run.  He has excellent straightline speed (4.6 range) so we'll see how that translates to short area quickness, fluidity in space and COD skills all of which are needed to play OLB in the 3-4.  I also wouldn't say he's too heavy to play OLB as Adalius is listed at 6-2 270.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I was talking about Norwood. 253 6'1" is generally too large to play 43 OLb. That is a thick dude right there. My hunch is that as an OLb at SC he is not likely to be the kind of athlete to play in the kind of space a 43 ilb would be iether.

Norwood is a 34 guy all the way-- the only move I could see in the pros is inside in the 34, if he looks stiff in space.

Everson could go either way depending on how he performs out there. if he looks servicable in the drops then he will get looks at OLB too. If he looks like a DE only, his stock will drop a bit, because he is a bit light to be an every down 43 end.

Everson could very well be a tweener at OLb. I didn't doubt that. Although USC has put better DEs past BB because their DEs don't tend to do OLB stuff at USC very often, so there isn't a lot of film.

I mean, I have been doing draft chatter for a while, and every year there is a new DE/OLB  hybrid everyone thinks Ne will draft from USC, and every year they pass them up. And better, faster guys that Everson. But I didn't assail his body type.

All told it is slim pickings again at OLB/DE here. Last year had some talent, but a lot of it was overrated. I feel the same way this year, about this group.

Gholston, Harvey, Orakpo, the kid from PSU, Everett, Mathews, etc, etc, the list of DE/OLB busts the last few years is growing, and I don't see any sure fire Demarcus Ware's or Mario Williams' out there -- Dunlap is about the only guy I can think of. Kindle scares me, in a bad way.

I see two elite ILBs -- which NE will not be shopping for. Two elite RBs, which they could be in on. One really elite TE. And a big time WR group (again).

OL looks kind of strangled for such a deep draft.

DT, well this is the b est DT draft in years. Two guys like McCoy and Suh at the top should get teams exited.

But WR is the spot tons of talented guys out there, Ne might take a stab.

In where NE is drafting the value seems to be with players like Gresham and LaFell, with a few others like Decker and Dwyer filling it in, and not forgetting other possibilites like McKoy from USC and a few others.

Personally, if I were drafting for Ne and forced to chose right now, I would be going TE and or Rb, with interior OL as another choice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

thanks to posters who put celtfan in his place. some folk are just to miserable (and sanctimonious) for life. The Draft is a 365 day a year business, so why not talk about it.
    I will be bummed if we don't use two of the top four picks on a TE and OG. Everyone wants new blood at OLB and I do hope we use one pick there, but BB has shown a preference for vets at that position and there are some decent free agents there, Thomas Howard of the Panthers for example.
    And if the Pats really believe in Tate and Edelman I don't see them using one of the top four picks on a WR, though personally I would love Shipley of Texas.
    It's gonna be a fun offseason, lots of changes.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

In Response to 2010 Mock Draft (Rounds 1-4):
    With 4 of the first 64 picks (possibly 3 in the top 40) they have a chance to seriously upgrade the talent and depth on their roster.  An upgrade to their pass rush as well as depth and youth at OLB, RB, WR and TE are all needed.   Ideally I’d love for them to trade up (I’m assuming they’ll be picking in the bottom quarter of Rd 1) and get Rolando McClain (6-4 250, LB, Alabama) if he drops down around 15 or so.   My opinion of him has been well documented.   With that being said, here is what I think might happen if they keep their current draft positions, that's a big IF.     Rd 1 (assigned) - Everson Griffen - 6-3 265 DE/OLB, USC - He’s a big, quick, athletic and explosive player who can bring pressure off the edge.   He has 7 sacks and 8.5 TFL through 8 games this season so he can get after the QB and make plays behind the line of scrimmage (16 career sacks to this point), he's also able to set the edge vs. the run.   Due to his athleticism, he presents some scheme versatility with the potential as a 4-3 end or a 3-4 OLB, BB loves versatility.       Rd 2 (from Titans) - Eric Norwood - 6-1 252 OLB, S. Carolina - He doesn't possess the ideal height that BB prefers in his 3-4 OLB's, but the guy can flat out play (on track for 30+ sacks and 50+ tackles for loss in his career).   He's been dominant in the SEC and makes a living behind the line of scrimmage.   Another undersized player (relative to BB's preferences) is Brandon Graham.   He too has shown the ability to get to the QB and make plays behind the line of scrimmage (24 career sacks and 40+ tackles for loss to this point).   Florida's Jermaine Cunningham (6-3 252, DE/OLB) is another option to consider.   Rd 2 (from Jax) - Ryan Matthews - 5-11 220 RB, Fresno State - Good size and speed, he can hammer the ball between the tackles or take it the distance.   He's currently the leading rusher in the nation and there is the Pat Hill connection to consider.   If Jonathan Dwyer slips to the bottom of the 1st or top of the second, he could be an option.   Charles Scott is another player to keep an eye on in the late second or if they trade back to the 3rd round.   Rd 2 (assigned) - Golden Tate - 5-11 195 WR, Notre Dame - He’s a tough, athletic, productive, big play receiver whose gets a lot of YAC and has a ton of versatility.   He can also be utilized on running plays (came to ND as a RB) and has experience running the wild cat.   He plays in a Charlie Weis offense, so the ramp up time should be accelerated.   The development of Brandon Tate may negate this need, but as of now, I think he's a possibility, though talent and depth will be needed if they decide to let Randy Moss walk following the 2011 season.  Eric Decker (WR, Minnesota) is another option that I'm high on.   Rd 4 (assigned) - Tony Moeaki- 6-3 250 TE, Iowa - Athletic TE who can stretch the seam and create mismatches in the slot.   The BB/Ferentz connection may come into play.  Another possibility is Aaron Hernandez (TE/FB, FLA) who could serve as a jack of all trades utility type player, he's been versatile and used all over the field in different formations for the Gators.  There's also the Urban/Belichick connection and while it has no influence, he's also from CT originally.    
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

i love draft talk! lol its never too early!

I think i prefer Aaron Hernandez over Tony Moeaki. I just feel like Hernandez is more versatile thus provinding the better value.

I'm not also not as high on Everson Griffin as you are, it seemed like he was a bust coming out of high school ranked as the best defensive end in the country, this is his 1st good season. I wanna see more of him...

but thanks for the draft thread! awesome

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

just asking, no offense, but where are you getting your info on Griffen? Draftdaddy has him listed as only the 6th best JUNIOR DL and Rivals has him at
    17th best DL. Why do you have him so high? Oregon just ran all over him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwiegmann24. Show cwiegmann24's posts

I would like the Pats to take Moeaki. I'm from Iowa and have been able to watch him for the last few years, and he's a heck of a player. His only problem is getting on the field. He's injured every year, sometimes multiple times a year. I think if he is available in the 4th round he would be worth the gamble, but he's just that: a gamble.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Z, just curious, what do you think of Jahvid Best? I know he's not the blocker Faulk is, but he could be Chris Johnsonesque. He seems to have great hands out of the backfield, and could line up all over the place.

I'd prefer Dwyer myself, but Best could certainly be used like Percy Harvin, who BB was reported to be enamored with.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Thanks for the info... Great Job !!!
    how about picking the best avalible at all times???

Sections
Shortcuts