2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6

It's obvious that a pass rush is the biggest need to this point in the season.  NE's D hasn't be able to consistently get pressure on the QB (28th in sacks to this point) which has has allowed most QB's to throw at will and pick apart the NE secondary. 

With that being said, below is a list of their needs followed by my projection of how the draft may go based on what I've watched and read. I understand that it's early and we don't know 100% who will declare or how they will test out but here we go:

Needs

**Players who can get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the line of scrimage!

**A consistent third receiver who can take some pressure of Moss/Welker.  Aiken has been decent in spurts, but IMO he's certainly not the answer.  Brandon Tate has talent, but he hasn't caught a lot of balls in his college/pro career, he may be better suited as a return guy who can make some plays at WR.

**A big, tough, between the tackles sledgehammer type back that can move the chains and wear down opposing defenses a la Dillon/Smith.

** Some OL Depth

**An athletic TE who can make some plays, possibly stretch the seam.

Potential Picks

Rd 1 (Assigned) - Jerry Hughes- 6-3 257/OLB/TCU-

Safe to say that NE's pass rush is non-existent.  Hughes would be a huge upgrade to their roster with 26 sacks and over 30 tackles for loss the past 2 years.  He's an undersized DE, but would seem to be a natural fit as a 3-4 OLB (I believe they'll move back to a 3-4 base if they have the needed talent) as he has 3 career INT's with experience rushing the passer standing up.  He's an instictive player, who plays with a great deal of intensity, has a good burst off the edge and will play to the whistle.  He also plays on special teams and you know BB loves to play his starters there.  Tough and productive with good intangibles. If Rolando McClain (ILB Alabama) slips, he's the guy.  Also keep an eye on Terrence Cody (DT Alabama).

Rd 2 (From Titans) - Greg Romeus 6-5 270/DE/Pitt-
    Would be another boost to the non-existent pass rush.  He has similar size to Big Willie which would allow him to set the edge, also appears to have the athleticism to rush standing up or in a 3 point stance.  He was Co-Big East Defensive Player of the year in the Big East and shown a good ability to get after the QB and make plays in the back field (19 sacks and 27 TFL in his career).  He's a junior, but I think he'll declare, again, just my opinion.  He could also be an option in Rd 1.

Rd 2 (From Jax) - Golden Tate 5-11 195/WR/ND-
    Simply, teams knew he was getting the ball and still couldn't stop him.  He’s a tough, athletic, productive, big play receiver whose gets a lot of YAC and has a ton of versatility.  He can also be utilized on running plays (came to ND as a RB) and has experience running the wild cat.  He plays in a Charlie Weis offense, so the ramp up time should be accelerated.  He'd represent the #3 receiver that is sorely needed to take pressure off Moss and Welker.  Eric Decker (Minnesota) is another possibility. He has already declared for the 2010 draft.

Rd 2 (Assigned)- Mike Johnson 6-5 300/OL/Alabama-
    27 career starts at 4 positions across the OL, primarily at left guard and right tackle.  Personally I think Mankins is gone after the year so Johnson could be his replacement.  He has the Saban connection, plays in the SEC and you know BB loves versatility.  Matt Tennant (C/OG 6-4 291 Boston College) is another option, as a toucgh, consistent player with 28 consecutive starts, BC has a good track record of producing OL, look no further than Dan Koppen.

Rd 4 (Assigned)- Charles Scott 6-0 235/RB/LSU-
    The big, tough, between the tackles sledgehammer that can wear down opposing defenses that they've been missing since Dillon/Smith.  He's been a productive player in the toughest conference in America (SEC).  Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech) could be an option in rd 1 if he slips or Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) in round 2.  They may also look to pick up anothe QB, if that's the case Sean Canfield (6-4 215 Oregon State) is a good possibility.  He has good size, a good arm, good pocket presence and is smart with the football (21 TD vs 6 INT this year in 406 attempts).

Rd 6- (Assigned)- Jimmy Graham 6-8 260/TE/Miami-
    Former UM basketball player who joined the football team for the 2009 season.  He's extremely raw, but has excellent athleticism.  He had 14 Rec for 185 yrdas and 5 TD's on the year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6

Can't argue with any of these choices but I'd like to see us looking for a RB in the second round, not the fourth.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

i think our 1st pick will most likley be another WR honestly just bcuz moss is slowin down and coming to the end of his career, but he could go another  or 4 years so ya pass rusher would be more realistic i would love to see carlos dunlap

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6:
    Can't argue with any of these choices but I'd like to see us looking for a RB in the second round, not the fourth.
    Posted by unclealfie

I don't disagree, I like Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) and Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech) as early round options.

I do love Scott as a mid round option though, check out this link of Charles Scott, he's not a homerun threat, but he's a hammer of a back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrIY31e7yE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : I don't disagree, I like Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) and Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech) as early round options. I do love Scott as a mid round option though, check out this link of Charles Scott, he's not a homerun threat, but he's a hammer of a back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrIY31e7yE
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Sweet!

He's looks like everything maroney was supposed to be and then some.

he should be watching that video every day learning how to hit a hole!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Would love that draft!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : Sweet! He's looks like everything maroney was supposed to be and then some. he should be watching that video every day learning how to hit a hole!
    Posted by unclealfie

It's too bad Maroney dances as much as he does because once he's through the hole he's been demolishing guys this year. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

no we will get Cj Spiller

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Whether I agree or disagree, I love this kind of well thought-out analysis.  I would love it if the draft fell this way but i have to wonder if Tate would fall to the middle of round 2. 

Well done!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Whether I agree or disagree, I love this kind of well thought-out analysis.  I would love it if the draft fell this way but i have to wonder if Tate would fall to the middle of round 2.    Well done!
    Posted by deluxbury

Thanks!

I agree, Tate may be on he cusp of round 1 so I'll certainly be tweaking this mock as we move further along and players go through the combine and prodays etc..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Would love that draft!
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

It certainly would provide an injection of youth and talent!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I like the picks, but I think Tate will be a slot receiver in the NFL.  We are set there with Welker and Edelman.  I would go for more of a flanker type like LaFell, Gilyard, or Decker.  Don't get me wrong, Tate will be a great player, I'd just prefer a different type of receiver.

I literally would pick 4-5 pass rushers in this draft, throw them out there, and see who sticks.  Maybe 1-2 can become really productive pass rushers for us.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I like the picks, but I think Tate will be a slot receiver in the NFL.  We are set there with Welker and Edelman.  I would go for more of a flanker type like LaFell, Gilyard, or Decker.  Don't get me wrong, Tate will be a great player, I'd just prefer a different type of receiver. I literally would pick 4-5 pass rushers in this draft, throw them out there, and see who sticks.  Maybe 1-2 can become really productive pass rushers for us.
    Posted by pyegian

All three would be good options, I am definitely high on Decker as I mentioned him im my write up on Tate.

For Tate or any receiver for that matter, it all depends on his ability to get off the line against press coverage.  If he can do so, he should be fine on the outside.  I read the same negatives on Tate as I did on Branch when he came out of Louisville.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from illdrinktothat5. Show illdrinktothat5's posts

MARDY GILYARD WR CINCINNATI

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : I don't disagree, I like Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) and Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech) as early round options. I do love Scott as a mid round option though, check out this link of Charles Scott, he's not a homerun threat, but he's a hammer of a back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrIY31e7yE
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I only watches the 1st 40 seconds of that video and started cracking up. You serious? There are so many highlight videos like this. YOu could make a highlight video like that of anybody.

Maybe it comes later in the video but where are the great runs where he gets hit 2 yards deep in the back field or the ones where he runs into a wall at the line of scrimmage?

He has a huge whole on all those runs and even Maroney , who isn't the great since sliced bread or something does that too when there is day light. So do all the backs on the Pats right now.

I prefer the videos where the guy is getting it done on his own not running untouched.

Two that come to mind are Ki-Jana Carter from Penn state and McFadden. Hype hype hype but when you watched film on them they never got touched.

That guy Charles Scott might be great I never even saw him play just saying the highlight reel showed me nothing special in the first half of it I watched.

On another note I saw you put the TE on your list but at the bottom and I would agree at the bottom since the real issue is that the Patriots do not "Feature" a TE in their system and they have not during BB's tenure.

Also in your talk of # WR, and i may have missed it, I think you forgot Julian Edelman who has 26 receptions bit has missed 5 games, only played in 7 and that has really hurt the team. I think in one of those 7 was one against INdy where he really played sparingly because he wasn't really ready to even come back. He was doing very well before breaking arm. If yuo projected his receptions even conservatively out to all 12 games and even a full season he is EASILY passing the reception totals of Gaffney and stallworth had as a members of this offense.

It was a cool post to read and obviously these are just my humble opinions.
    http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/sr_pic0.gif')">

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Great analysis, Here's some questions for anybody to answer

What do you think is the bigger need, DE or OLB?

If they went with DE 1st pick who do you think they would choose?

How about OLB for the second pick?

Does anyone know who are the big free agents available next year at OLB, DE, Offensive line?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Richie Rich Seymour and Vrabel.  Don't think they'll be back. 
    Shawn Merriman is RFA, Keith Bullock, Brandon Chillar, Aaron Kampen, Karlos Dansby.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : I only watches the 1st 40 seconds of that video and started cracking up. You serious? There are so many highlight videos like this. YOu could make a highlight video like that of anybody. Maybe it comes later in the video but where are the great runs where he gets hit 2 yards deep in the back field or the ones where he runs into a wall at the line of scrimmage? He has a huge whole on all those runs and even Maroney , who isn't the great since sliced bread or something does that too when there is day light. So do all the backs on the Pats right now. I prefer the videos where the guy is getting it done on his own not running untouched. Two that come to mind are Ki-Jana Carter from Penn state and McFadden. Hype hype hype but when you watched film on them they never got touched. That guy Charles Scott might be great I never even saw him play just saying the highlight reel showed me nothing special in the first half of it I watched. On another note I saw you put the TE on your list but at the bottom and I would agree at the bottom since the real issue is that the Patriots do not "Feature" a TE in their system and they have not during BB's tenure. Also in your talk of # WR, and i may have missed it, I think you forgot Julian Edelman who has 26 receptions bit has missed 5 games, only played in 7 and that has really hurt the team. I think in one of those 7 was one against INdy where he really played sparingly because he wasn't really ready to even come back. He was doing very well before breaking arm. If yuo projected his receptions even conservatively out to all 12 games and even a full season he is EASILY passing the reception totals of Gaffney and stallworth had as a members of this offense. It was a cool post to read and obviously these are just my humble opinions. http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/sr_pic0.gif ')">
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Its a highlight film, knucklehead. What did you expect to see?

One thing for sure; you definately picked the right name for yourself.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : I only watches the 1st 40 seconds of that video and started cracking up. You serious? There are so many highlight videos like this. YOu could make a highlight video like that of anybody. Maybe it comes later in the video but where are the great runs where he gets hit 2 yards deep in the back field or the ones where he runs into a wall at the line of scrimmage? He has a huge whole on all those runs and even Maroney , who isn't the great since sliced bread or something does that too when there is day light. So do all the backs on the Pats right now. I prefer the videos where the guy is getting it done on his own not running untouched. Two that come to mind are Ki-Jana Carter from Penn state and McFadden. Hype hype hype but when you watched film on them they never got touched. That guy Charles Scott might be great I never even saw him play just saying the highlight reel showed me nothing special in the first half of it I watched. On another note I saw you put the TE on your list but at the bottom and I would agree at the bottom since the real issue is that the Patriots do not "Feature" a TE in their system and they have not during BB's tenure. Also in your talk of # WR, and i may have missed it, I think you forgot Julian Edelman who has 26 receptions bit has missed 5 games, only played in 7 and that has really hurt the team. I think in one of those 7 was one against INdy where he really played sparingly because he wasn't really ready to even come back. He was doing very well before breaking arm. If yuo projected his receptions even conservatively out to all 12 games and even a full season he is EASILY passing the reception totals of Gaffney and stallworth had as a members of this offense. It was a cool post to read and obviously these are just my humble opinions. http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/sr_pic0.gif ')">
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

It's not like there is a ton of quality game tape available on the web (unless there is, in which case I'd love to know where so I could take a look).  My main points on Scott is that he's a big tough back, north/south runner, hits the hole hard, is a run away freight train in the open field, but won't be a home run threat, which I made clear.  I also wouldn't lump Ki-Jana Carter and Run DMC in with a guy projected to go in the 4th round, how much "hype hype hype" can their be on a 4th round guy?

As for Edelman, IMO he's 100% a slot guy, ideally I'd like for them to get a guy they can stick on the outside who can be productive (a la stallworth and to some extent Gaffney combining for 82 receptions in 2007) and take some of the pressure off Moss/Welker, which is why I mentioned Aiken and Brandon Tate.  I'm not comfortable at this point with any of the 3 (Aiken/Brandon Tate/Edelman) as the #3 receiver. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

In terms of the needs, I put rush linebacker at #1 and I don't think its even close.  DE could become a need, for sure, if Jarvis Green isn't brought back and Brace doesn't show signs.  Obviously this is still assuming Wilfork is brought back.

In terms of OLB in the draft, I personally like Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle, Derrick Morgan, and Brandon Graham.  Morgan in particular is a huge guy, kind of similar in size to Adalius Thomas (I know that's probably not what Patriots fans want to hear).

On the defensive line, beyond the obvious, Ndamakung Suh, who will be an absolute terror in the NFL, there are a lot of talented lineman who could project as ends in the 3-4, such as Gerald McCoy, Carlos Dunlap, and Jared Odrick.

On free agents, Elvis Dumervil (14 sacks so far) is a free agent, I believe, but its hard to believe he won't be franchised or re-signed.  There's also this lineman named Richard Seymour, not sure who he is but it seems like he's the type of guy who might be able to help out the Patriots!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Like you, that I would like to see how well he earned extra yrds after contact. That said, he would be a better runner than LM. -- at least he's not running upright, therefore more leverage. With his size, speed and leverage, I don't think it's hard to imagine that he can beat least be as effective as Antowain Smith (who I think is more effective than LM, despite having less talent). I have not seen him in actual games, but assuming he also blocks well, he seems an appropriate 4th rnd pick up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat. Show seattlepat's posts

...  There's also this lineman named Richard Seymour, not sure who he is but it seems like he's the type of guy who might be able to help out the Patriots!
    Posted by pyegian

The Seymour era in NE is gone. I don't think it makes sense to ever bring him back, despite talent. He will ever play hard for BB again. Why take the risk of seeing ADT part 2?

I agree with posters who want OLB and DE first. I like your call on Kindle.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

TE Cottam & RB Hardesty @ TN. Hardesty can run the rock when they know your going to run. I have enjoyed watching Scott @ LSU and Tate @ Auburn also. McCluster @ Ole Miss/ Maybe this draft's Percey Harvin. LB McClain @AL

Name your guy now! We want to see game tape not the highlight reel on youtube in march.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : Its a highlight film, knucklehead. What did you expect to see? One thing for sure; you definately picked the right name for yourself.  
    Posted by unclealfie

Try watching lesean McCoy's highlight reel from last year and you'll see the difference between what I was looking to see.

Also you apparently are the one who does not get it because even the gentleman who's posy I repsonded to respnded to mine and agreed and got what I was trying to say.

But thanks for the response, your insult was so insightful and enlightening to the conversation lol.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : It's not like there is a ton of quality game tape available on the web (unless there is, in which case I'd love to know where so I could take a look).  My main points on Scott is that he's a big tough back, north/south runner, hits the hole hard, is a run away freight train in the open field, but won't be a home run threat, which I made clear.  I also wouldn't lump Ki-Jana Carter and Run DMC in with a guy projected to go in the 4th round, how much "hype hype hype" can their be on a 4th round guy? As for Edelman, IMO he's 100% a slot guy, ideally I'd like for them to get a guy they can stick on the outside who can be productive (a la stallworth and to some extent Gaffney combining for 82 receptions in 2007) and take some of the pressure off Moss/Welker, which is why I mentioned Aiken and Brandon Tate.  I'm not comfortable at this point with any of the 3 (Aiken/Brandon Tate/Edelman) as the #3 receiver. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Yeah I wish they just had game tape on all the guys coming out that would be so much better for fans. It was nice to see you got my point though that i think the guys who always seem to be making something out of nothing in a highlight reel as a RB are more impressive to me then the ones running through day light untouched.

...and yeah that was my point about Stallworth and Gaffney... They each had around 40 catches but Gaffney basically took the job away from Stallworth as the season progressed. Pretty much willing to bet that edleman would have surpassed 40 catches this season if he did not get hurt. Also not sure he needs to be pigeon holed into the slot. Curious why you think that?

I am not saying I would not appreciate them getting another great receiver at all but more because who knows how many years moss will keep it going at the same level. There are not too many teams in the leage with all 3 receivers being awesome. I think Brady has been stubborn at times. He was off the mark early in the season while he was getting back into things. I can quickly think of a few sure touchdowns he missed quickly off the top of my head to edelman and watson early in the season. He's also over thrown a wide open Aiken twice on long throws in the last few weeks that would have been touchdowns. I am not sure "yet" if they don't already have a #3 receiver on the team good enough.

I liken Brady's year this year sort of similar to LM's earlier games. LM wasn't really passing the eyeball test even though his stats were good given his attempts. He's been running better. Brady has had some good stats, exception being the 2nd half of raod games but he's really been awful for whole games this year mostly in the early part of the season(understandably so).

The stats he's had in the 2nd half of raod games almost isn't even considered NFL caliber at 52% complettion percentage and 60 passer rating.

I guees I am trying to say if you can get 40 something catches from your #3 receiver on a team that has Moss and Welker than you are doing fine and I am not sure yet we don't have a guy capable of producing that given a full active healthy season.

One of the things I like to pay attention to since i do not watch much college football is the write ups from the senior bowl practices. Yeah this doesn't help with underclassmen but every year there is a guy or two that catches the analysts eyes in the senior bowl "practices" and more than one source will write about him. The one off the top of my head is Eddie Royal, I remember multiple guys writing that he was uncoverable in practices. He's proven to be pretty good so far in the NFL. The point is that if a guy stands out playing against ONLY the best players in the country(well seniors) then that is saying a little something. Cause in the highlight reels you never know who the guy opposite the player is when someone is making a play. Maybe he's a bum, I never know.

Sections
Shortcuts