2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : Yeah I wish they just had game tape on all the guys coming out that would be so much better for fans. It was nice to see you got my point though that i think the guys who always seem to be making something out of nothing in a highlight reel as a RB are more impressive to me then the ones running through day light untouched. ...and yeah that was my point about Stallworth and Gaffney... They each had around 40 catches but Gaffney basically took the job away from Stallworth as the season progressed. Pretty much willing to bet that edleman would have surpassed 40 catches this season if he did not get hurt. Also not sure he needs to be pigeon holed into the slot. Curious why you think that? I am not saying I would not appreciate them getting another great receiver at all but more because who knows how many years moss will keep it going at the same level. There are not too many teams in the leage with all 3 receivers being awesome. I think Brady has been stubborn at times. He was off the mark early in the season while he was getting back into things. I can quickly think of a few sure touchdowns he missed quickly off the top of my head to edelman and watson early in the season. He's also over thrown a wide open Aiken twice on long throws in the last few weeks that would have been touchdowns. I am not sure "yet" if they don't already have a #3 receiver on the team good enough. I liken Brady's year this year sort of similar to LM's earlier games. LM wasn't really passing the eyeball test even though his stats were good given his attempts. He's been running better. Brady has had some good stats, exception being the 2nd half of raod games but he's really been awful for whole games this year mostly in the early part of the season(understandably so). The stats he's had in the 2nd half of raod games almost isn't even considered NFL caliber at 52% complettion percentage and 60 passer rating. I guees I am trying to say if you can get 40 something catches from your #3 receiver on a team that has Moss and Welker than you are doing fine and I am not sure yet we don't have a guy capable of producing that given a full active healthy season. One of the things I like to pay attention to since i do not watch much college football is the write ups from the senior bowl practices. Yeah this doesn't help with underclassmen but every year there is a guy or two that catches the analysts eyes in the senior bowl "practices" and more than one source will write about him. The one off the top of my head is Eddie Royal, I remember multiple guys writing that he was uncoverable in practices. He's proven to be pretty good so far in the NFL. The point is that if a guy stands out playing against ONLY the best players in the country(well seniors) then that is saying a little something. Cause in the highlight reels you never know who the guy opposite the player is when someone is making a play. Maybe he's a bum, I never know.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that a back that can create on your own, side step defenders in the backfield are two big qualities in a successful back.  Forward the below link to the 6:39 (multiple players highlighted in the video) mark, gives you a better look at Scott making some plays after contact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVO3_iQT9g&feature=player_embedded#

Personally, I think picking up a higher level receiver in the 2010 draft fills both short and long term needs.  I certainly think they could use some additional talent and prodution their next year and (like you said) the future is uncertain with Moss, so they'll need to fill his roll eventually as I believe he won't be brought back once his contract expires following 2010 season. 

No doubt fans will know a lot more once the senior bowl, a lot is exposed when you pit the top senior players against each other, it is too bad they don't allow all draft eligible players.

Per my original post though, RB and WR are secondary needs, while the offense has been inconsistent, specifically in 2nd half of games (due to bad coaching/play calling/in game adjustments IMO, thats another subject all together) it is still productive overall.  The defense on the the other hand, specifically the pass rush has been completely exposed, I think they need to focus on fixing that non-existent pass rush first and foremost.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Some guy's to watch as bowl season begin's

O'Brien Schofield, DE, Wisconsin
    When it came to showing up in big games few did it better than O’Brien Schofield this year. Schofield has overcome his lack of ideal size with an impressive blend of speed, toughness, and strength, propelling himself from relative obscurity onto the Prospect Hot List. Schofield really announced his presence on the national scheme in a midseason matchup against Ohio State, racking up two sacks and really terrorizing the Buckeyes offense. That wasn’t a one game aberration though because Schofield had been doing it all year long, finishing the regular season with 22.5 tackles for a loss and 10.0 sacks. A former high school wide receiver, Schofield is an amazing athlete for a defensive end and he reportedly runs a 4.60 forty at 6-3 and 248 pounds. Schofield’s average bulk could hurt him on Draft Day but the tapes don’t lie and the guy just gets the job done on the field. Regardless of whether it’s as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker Schofield is going to be a productive pro for some team. After entering his senior season carrying a late round / undrafted free agent grade most now consider Schofield to be a potential fourth or fifth round option.
    Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina
    In today’s NFL, where the passing game reigns, it is becoming more and more crucial to harass the quarterback. Eric Norwood may not have the ideal triangle numbers that scouts look for but he has proven time and time again that he knows how to rush the passer. Norwood made a name for himself very early in the season, registering six sacks in the Gamecocks first four games. After a number of dominating performances on national television it’s clear that the bigger the stage the better Norwood plays. What really stands out about Norwood is his non-stop motor and even when he’s unable to get the sack he still manages to apply pressure, which forces quarterbacks to let go of the ball earlier than they’d prefer. Similar in many ways to Steelers star James Harrison, Norwood is a classic ‘tweener and will likely fit best as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Norwood nearly went pro last year and was reportedly given a late round grade by the Underclassmen Advisory Panel but after a terrific senior campaign he is now in line to be a second round pick.
    Monatario Hardesty, RB, Tennessee
    During the summer the only Tennessee running back people were talking about was 5-Star recruit Bryce Brown, who was expected to carry the load and be an instant star. Montario Hardesty had other plans. Instead of conceding the starting job to the highly-touted freshman Hardesty stepped up and had the best season of his college career in 2009. Hardesty began the year by running wild against Western Kentucky and UCLA but his real coming out party occurred against Florida, where he rushed for 96 yards as well as the Volunteers only touchdown of the day. One of the great things about Hardesty is that he has continued to improve throughout the season, notching over 350 yards and 4 touchdowns in the Vols final two contests. Needless to say the success Hardesty enjoyed as a senior has really shot him up draft boards. The type of player who does everything well but nothing great, Hardesty profiles as more of a backup in the pros but he has the size, speed, and vision to excel in that role. After starting the year as a probable undrafted free agent Hardesty is now firmly in the mid-round mix. Tennessee has a very proud tradition of sending running backs to the next level and Hardesy will attempt to follow in his predecessors footsteps.
    Koa Misi, DE, Utah
    Koa Misi is still a bit of an unknown, even to the most avid draftniks, but he has quietly skyrocketed up draft boards this year. Misi has been wreaking havoc on the Mountain West as a senior and has established himself as one of the conferences top pro prospects. Misi was sidelined indefinitely earlier this year after suffering a back injury but he was able to return after missing just one game and didn’t miss a beat. Even though his statistics aren’t eye-popping (4.5 Sacks and 8.0 TFL) Misi has shown the ability to make game-changing plays. In addition to those stops behind the line of scrimmage Misi also ranks second in the conference with three forced fumbles. The NFL always places a premium on pass rushers and in the eyes of many Misi has emerged as one of the best this senior class has to offer. Adding to Misi’s value is his ability to project as either a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 outside linebacker at the next level. Don’t be surprised if Koa Misi’s name is called on much, much earlier than most expect on Draft Day. In fact, the second round is a distinct possibility.
    Jimmy Graham, TE, Miami (FL)
    At the start of this season Jimmy Graham had never played a single snap of college football. Now he is one of the top tight end prospects for the 2010 NFL Draft. After a solid career as a basketball player at “The U” Graham decided to bypass a career on the hardwood overseas and try his luck on the gridirion. It looks like he made the right decision. Despite not playing organized football since high school, where he was a defensive end and wide receiver, Graham’s natural talent was evident in the spring and throughout the summer. By the time the season was set to begin Miami Coach Randy Shannon couldn’t wait to utilize Graham’s rare blend of size, speed and athleticism in the Hurricanes passing game. Although clearly raw and unrefined Graham established himself as an exceptional red zone threat, ranking second on the team with 5 receiving touchdowns. Graham also averaged more than 13 yards per catch and it’s scary to think how could he could be with a little more development. Just a few months ago Graham was a virtual unknown and a longshot to be drafted. Now he is a legitimate mid-round possibility and could climb even higher if he performs as well as expected in workouts.
    Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee
    There may be no prospect in all of college football who has improved his draft stock more than Dan Williams. Working with former NFL defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin has done wonders for Williams, who was considered to be a mid-round pick coming into his senior year. After displaying elite run stuffing ability the 6-3, 327 pounds Williams is a prospect who will be coveted by teams looking to beef up their defensive line. One factor that will continue to help Williams cause is the strong possibility of playing nose tackle in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme. With so many teams now going to a “30” front guys who can be a stalwart in the middle and anchor against multiple blockers are in high demand. Even though Williams isn’t going to wow anyone with his pass rush ability he has shown improved strength and conditioning which has helped him make more plays in the backfield. Williams has improved each season with the Vols and he saved the best for last, which will make NFL decision makers feel comfortable expending an early round pick on him. At this point Williams appears to be a lock for the top two rounds and he could slip into the latter part of round one when all is said and done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Problem is, BB will trade his 1 and 2s for something like 5, round 5 picks, 3 round sevens and a long snapper. Then the media will yuk it up about what "genius" he was, because nobody else thinks of these things. And the picks we trade will get converted into a Darrelle Revis, Michael Oher, Clay Matthews, or some other guy that is acquired through a trade-UP on draft day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

I have to think we look for OL and DL early on. It all starts there. Remember when Brady threw the ball to non-existant receivers and was still one of the top QBs in the league? He now has Welker and Moss to throw to, not to mention Watson and Faulk. We are talking about a 3rd receiver and RB? We have those already. What we need on O is an overhaul on the OL. If Brady has more time to throw, he will find the Sam Aikens, Julian Edelmans, and the Brandon Tates on the field. These guys are as good as Reche Caldwell who was our number one a few years back. The thing is we have to keep Watson and Faulk into block because our OL is no longer as stout as it was a couple of years ago. Injuries have caught up with Neal and Light, Koppen seems to get overpowered regularly enough now with the Jenkins and Strouds and Fergusons in our divisions. Kazcur doesn't have his meds anymore (a little shot there I know).

As for RB, Bill said himself, Maroney is a good back, sometimes he does dance a bit but it is because the guys up front are not doing their job. RBs are only as good as their OL is. I say forget about the skill players on Offense because we have that already. If we focus on OL and hit on those picks this Offense will be again tops in the league.

As for Defense, our needs are obviously pass rush as of right now, but a lot could change after the season is over. Is Brace ready because Vince is not coming back. I realize he has not played at all, but is Bill letting him sit and watch the way they treat some franchise QBs? Probably not, so chances are we need to some more big guys up front. Does Bill move some players and make the shift to a 4-3? Personally I like the hybrid D that allows us to change from 34 to 43 and throw in the various Nickel packages. The problem with that is because we are not built for one or the other we cannot maximize in any one.

With the NFL being so pass happy now. My vote goes to adopting a 4-2-5 Nickel as our base D. Have run stuffers in the middle Brace and Warren. On the edge I want 280lb. rushers. Nothing less than Jared Allen type production is accepted from both the right and left defensive end positions. Guyton and Mayo to play LBs. CBs and Safeties will shake down according to depth obviously. The "nickelback" will change between a CB and Safety depending who is one the field for the offense.

Wow, kinda went off there didn't I. to sum it all up we need upgrades in 3 of 5 spots on the OL. Drafting WRs and RBs might upgrade the depth at that position but it doesn't make the OLs play better. Upgrading OL makes these positions better. We all know about how pass rush affects everything on Defense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : I agree with you that a back that can create on your own, side step defenders in the backfield are two big qualities in a successful back.  Forward the below link to the 6:39 (multiple players highlighted in the video) mark, gives you a better look at Scott making some plays after contact. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVO3_iQT9g&feature=player_embedded # Personally, I think picking up a higher level receiver in the 2010 draft fills both short and long term needs.  I certainly think they could use some additional talent and prodution their next year and (like you said) the future is uncertain with Moss, so they'll need to fill his roll eventually as I believe he won't be brought back once his contract expires following 2010 season.  No doubt fans will know a lot more once the senior bowl, a lot is exposed when you pit the top senior players against each other, it is too bad they don't allow all draft eligible players. Per my original post though, RB and WR are secondary needs, while the offense has been inconsistent, specifically in 2nd half of games (due to bad coaching/play calling/in game adjustments IMO, thats another subject all together) it is still productive overall.  The defense on the the other hand, specifically the pass rush has been completely exposed, I think they need to focus on fixing that non-existent pass rush first and foremost.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

I agree... here is a list from another sites mock, not my own but he has the same 1st rounder as you... even though all the ratings will change and nothing ever goes as projected this early.

1st - Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
    2nd -
    Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame
    2nd -
    Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State
    2nd -
    Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky

He only had the 1st three rounds. I haven't really even started trying to find any info on any of the draft guys yet, until I read your post. I have heard of the 1st two guys and of course you listed Hughes and I think you mentioned Mathews. Know anything about Lindley? Not sure why he put another CB in there unless he's expected them not to keep bodden or that wilhite and butler can't compete given a lil more experience and some pass rush. Not sure.

My own feeling is that Mangini leaving and Dimitrov leaving hurt those years drafts. The Pats really wanted Revis and attempted to trade up to get him but the Jets gave up like half their draft to trump the Pats. He was our D coordinator and I am quite sure he was aware of who the team had been focusing on for the D side of the ball if not overall. If I am not mistaken that coinsided with them letting Asante walk. I think they expected them to get him and were caught with their pants down when the jets gave more.

I have the same feeling about Dimitrov in Atalnta. It was widely speculated the Pats were interested in Lofton at LB and he picked him but the one that struck me strange was the pats trading up in the 5th round I think it was 3 or 4 spots to draft a guy who people weren't even sure what position he played or who he was. (Slater) The lightbulb going off part was the team they jumped one spot in front of. Atlanta.

Just my stupid conspiracy theory side coming out maybe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

What do you think of the Pats trading up to get a top tier DE/OLB pass rusher?  That is there largest priority, so I don't think it would be that crazy. The only thing I could possibly see deterring that is the cap. Any thoughts?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]I have to think we look for OL and DL early on. It all starts there. Remember when Brady threw the ball to non-existant receivers and was still one of the top QBs in the league? He now has Welker and Moss to throw to, not to mention Watson and Faulk. We are talking about a 3rd receiver and RB? We have those already. What we need on O is an overhaul on the OL. If Brady has more time to throw, he will find the Sam Aikens, Julian Edelmans, and the Brandon Tates on the field. These guys are as good as Reche Caldwell who was our number one a few years back. The thing is we have to keep Watson and Faulk into block because our OL is no longer as stout as it was a couple of years ago. Injuries have caught up with Neal and Light, Koppen seems to get overpowered regularly enough now with the Jenkins and Strouds and Fergusons in our divisions. Kazcur doesn't have his meds anymore (a little shot there I know). As for RB, Bill said himself, Maroney is a good back, sometimes he does dance a bit but it is because the guys up front are not doing their job. RBs are only as good as their OL is. I say forget about the skill players on Offense because we have that already. If we focus on OL and hit on those picks this Offense will be again tops in the league. As for Defense, our needs are obviously pass rush as of right now, but a lot could change after the season is over. Is Brace ready because Vince is not coming back. I realize he has not played at all, but is Bill letting him sit and watch the way they treat some franchise QBs? Probably not, so chances are we need to some more big guys up front. Does Bill move some players and make the shift to a 4-3? Personally I like the hybrid D that allows us to change from 34 to 43 and throw in the various Nickel packages. The problem with that is because we are not built for one or the other we cannot maximize in any one. With the NFL being so pass happy now. My vote goes to adopting a 4-2-5 Nickel as our base D. Have run stuffers in the middle Brace and Warren. On the edge I want 280lb. rushers. Nothing less than Jared Allen type production is accepted from both the right and left defensive end positions. Guyton and Mayo to play LBs. CBs and Safeties will shake down according to depth obviously. The "nickelback" will change between a CB and Safety depending who is one the field for the offense. Wow, kinda went off there didn't I. to sum it all up we need upgrades in 3 of 5 spots on the OL. Drafting WRs and RBs might upgrade the depth at that position but it doesn't make the OLs play better. Upgrading OL makes these positions better. We all know about how pass rush affects everything on Defense.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

I think the reason people are mentioning RB is not an indictment on LM. Its a simple fact that. FT, SM, and KF are are all over 30 and on the back 9 of their careers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

[QUOTE]I have to think we look for OL and DL early on. It all starts there. Remember when Brady threw the ball to non-existant receivers and was still one of the top QBs in the league? He now has Welker and Moss to throw to, not to mention Watson and Faulk. We are talking about a 3rd receiver and RB? We have those already. What we need on O is an overhaul on the OL. If Brady has more time to throw, he will find the Sam Aikens, Julian Edelmans, and the Brandon Tates on the field. These guys are as good as Reche Caldwell who was our number one a few years back. The thing is we have to keep Watson and Faulk into block because our OL is no longer as stout as it was a couple of years ago. Injuries have caught up with Neal and Light, Koppen seems to get overpowered regularly enough now with the Jenkins and Strouds and Fergusons in our divisions. Kazcur doesn't have his meds anymore (a little shot there I know). As for RB, Bill said himself, Maroney is a good back, sometimes he does dance a bit but it is because the guys up front are not doing their job. RBs are only as good as their OL is. I say forget about the skill players on Offense because we have that already. If we focus on OL and hit on those picks this Offense will be again tops in the league. As for Defense, our needs are obviously pass rush as of right now, but a lot could change after the season is over. Is Brace ready because Vince is not coming back. I realize he has not played at all, but is Bill letting him sit and watch the way they treat some franchise QBs? Probably not, so chances are we need to some more big guys up front. Does Bill move some players and make the shift to a 4-3? Personally I like the hybrid D that allows us to change from 34 to 43 and throw in the various Nickel packages. The problem with that is because we are not built for one or the other we cannot maximize in any one. With the NFL being so pass happy now. My vote goes to adopting a 4-2-5 Nickel as our base D. Have run stuffers in the middle Brace and Warren. On the edge I want 280lb. rushers. Nothing less than Jared Allen type production is accepted from both the right and left defensive end positions. Guyton and Mayo to play LBs. CBs and Safeties will shake down according to depth obviously. The "nickelback" will change between a CB and Safety depending who is one the field for the offense. Wow, kinda went off there didn't I. to sum it all up we need upgrades in 3 of 5 spots on the OL. Drafting WRs and RBs might upgrade the depth at that position but it doesn't make the OLs play better. Upgrading OL makes these positions better. We all know about how pass rush affects everything on Defense.
    Posted by MaritimePatsFan[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on the needs, but "nothing less than Jared Allen type production is acceptable from the 2 ends"?  That's like a team saying, "Nothing less than Randy Moss production is acceptable from both starting receivers."  Jared Allen is arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL, the chance of acquiring 2 ends who get ~15 sacks is zero.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : Its a highlight film, knucklehead. What did you expect to see? One thing for sure; you definately picked the right name for yourself.  
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

I heard Bob Cousy tell a story once about a guy who told him he never actually saw him play but he saw him in highlight films and knows how was great he was.

Cousy said he thanked the guy and told him he never missed a shot in a highlight film.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

I don't like drafting RBs or WRs.  Aside from Curtis Martin, we've never drafted well there.

Our best WRs, Moss and Welker, came from elsewhere.  Same with Corey Dillon.

Teams that always draft WRs and RBs in high spots never succeed. (Raiders, Redskins)

I like the idea of drafting for pass rushing, but don't like the idea of drafting undersized guys, "projects", or "tweeners".  We've been doing that WAY too much.  Instead of versatility, how about getting someone who can do nothing but RUSH THE PASSER.  I don't care if he can't cover downfield, or stop the run, or play cornerback at times.  We have too many tweeners, not enough pure skill on D.

We have A LOT of needs.  Pass rush, shutdown CB, an OL capable of run blocking.  I'd draft for those needs, try to get an average RB, WR, TE from another team. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

In Response to 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6:
    [QUOTE]It's obvious that a pass rush is the biggest need to this point in the season.  NE's D hasn't be able to consistently get pressure on the QB (28th in sacks to this point) which has has allowed most QB's to throw at will and pick apart the NE secondary.  With that being said, below is a list of their needs followed by my projection of how the draft may go based on what I've watched and read. I understand that it's early and we don't know 100% who will declare or how they will test out but here we go: Needs ** Players who can get after the QB, pressure the pocket and make plays behind the line of scrimage! ** A consistent third receiver who can take some pressure of Moss/Welker.  Aiken has been decent in spurts, but IMO he's certainly not the answer.  Brandon Tate has talent, but he hasn't caught a lot of balls in his college/pro career, he may be better suited as a return guy who can make some plays at WR. ** A big, tough, between the tackles sledgehammer type back that can move the chains and wear down opposing defenses a la Dillon/Smith. ** Some OL Depth ** An athletic TE who can make some plays, possibly stretch the seam. Potential Picks Rd 1 (Assigned) - Jerry Hughes- 6-3 257/OLB/TCU- Safe to say that NE's pass rush is non-existent.   Hughes would be a huge upgrade to their roster with 26 sacks and over 30 tackles for loss the past 2 years.   He's an undersized DE, but would seem to be a natural fit as a 3-4 OLB (I believe they'll move back to a 3-4 base if they have the needed talent) as he has 3 career INT's with experience rushing the passer standing up.   He's an instictive player, who plays with a great deal of intensity, has a good burst off the edge and will play to the whistle.   He also plays on special teams and you know BB loves to play his starters there.   Tough and productive with good intangibles. If Rolando McClain (ILB Alabama) slips, he's the guy.   Also keep an eye on Terrence Cody (DT Alabama). Rd 2 (From Titans) - Greg Romeus 6-5 270/DE/Pitt- Would be another boost to the non-existent pass rush.   He has similar size to Big Willie which would allow him to set the edge, also appears to have the athleticism to rush standing up or in a 3 point stance.   He was Co-Big East Defensive Player of the year in the Big East and shown a good ability to get after the QB and make plays in the back field (19 sacks and 27 TFL in his career).   He's a junior, but I think he'll declare, again, just my opinion.   He could also be an option in Rd 1. Rd 2 (From Jax) - Golden Tate 5-11 195/WR/ND- Simply, teams knew he was getting the ball and still couldn't stop him.   He’s a tough, athletic, productive, big play receiver whose gets a lot of YAC and has a ton of versatility.   He can also be utilized on running plays (came to ND as a RB) and has experience running the wild cat.   He plays in a Charlie Weis offense, so the ramp up time should be accelerated.   He'd represent the #3 receiver that is sorely needed to take pressure off Moss and Welker.   Eric Decker (Minnesota) is another possibility. He has already declared for the 2010 draft. Rd 2 (Assigned)- Mike Johnson 6-5 300/OL/Alabama- 27 career starts at 4 positions across the OL, primarily at left guard and right tackle.   Personally I think Mankins is gone after the year so Johnson could be his replacement.   He has the Saban connection, plays in the SEC and you know BB loves versatility.   Matt Tennant (C/OG 6-4 291 Boston College) is another option, as a toucgh, consistent player with 28 consecutive starts, BC has a good track record of producing OL, look no further than Dan Koppen. Rd 4 (Assigned)- Charles Scott 6-0 235/RB/LSU- The big, tough, between the tackles sledgehammer that can wear down opposing defenses that they've been missing since Dillon/Smith.   He's been a productive player in the toughest conference in America (SEC).   Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech) could be an option in rd 1 if he slips or Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) in round 2.   They may also look to pick up anothe QB, if that's the case Sean Canfield (6-4 215 Oregon State) is a good possibility.   He has good size, a good arm, good pocket presence and is smart with the football (21 TD vs 6 INT this year in 406 attempts). Rd 6- (Assigned)- Jimmy Graham 6-8 260/TE/Miami- Former UM basketball player who joined the football team for the 2009 season.   He's extremely raw, but has excellent athleticism.   He had 14 Rec for 185 yrdas and 5 TD's on the year.
    Seems like the biggest need on offense by far is RT. LT seems all set for yrs with Vollmer. A RT who can handle the right side of the line without TE help will work wonders for the this offense.

The TE will be back to being TE, not always staying back to help out on a 3 man rush like we've witnessed this year. So on empty back sets they can actually send 5 potential receivers out on routes. Even without new talent (Moss-Welker-Edelman-Watson-Faulk) would be tough to contend with.

The biggest need on defense is the OLB. As we've seen in the 3-4 defense, the front 3 are primarily run stuffers and occupy blockers to free up the LB, who are the playmakers. I bet you cant name the Steelers/Chargers/Broncos/Ravens front 3 players...(ok maybe you know 1).

The second nd biggest need is someone with a MEAN STREAK at any position really. Someone receivers have to keep looking around for.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I think Shipley from Texas would be better than Tate form ND.

Yeah, Graham from Miami would be a good idea. besides being a monster. that guy is very athletic for a TE, good blcoker, great hands.

If BB can make it happen i say he trades for the #1 pick and selects Suh from Nebraska

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]What do you think of the Pats trading up to get a top tier DE/OLB pass rusher?  That is there largest priority, so I don't think it would be that crazy. The only thing I could possibly see deterring that is the cap. Any thoughts?
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]
    I'm not a fan of trading up, though I have heardd a lot of people suggest it.  The Jets traded up from 17th to 5th to get Sanchez.  The price was thier first round pick, thier second round pick and 3 players.  Two of those players were starter type quality players and one was a BU QB.

Then there's the fact that anyone picked in the top 10 will get the kind of money Brady makes, 10 or 12 million. 

If a team is going to take a top 5 type of guy they have to believe he is the guy to build thier team around because they will pay him hall of famer money.  And if he's anything less than expected they are stuck with him.

I just think that the risk is too high, and most teams probably wouldn't trade unless the Pats offered something like Moss and our #1 pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]What do you think of the Pats trading up to get a top tier DE/OLB pass rusher?  That is there largest priority, so I don't think it would be that crazy. The only thing I could possibly see deterring that is the cap. Any thoughts?
    Posted by Caliberink[/QUOTE]

I think it all depends on how far up they have to trade and who the player is.  It certainly goes away from their general draft philosophy to do so, but I've mentioned wanting them to trade up for Rolando McClain before (6-4 260 LB/Alabama) so while the chances aren't good, I'd love to see them be aggressive and do it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]I think Shipley from Texas would be better than Tate form ND. Yeah, Graham from Miami would be a good idea. besides being a monster. that guy is very athletic for a TE, good blcoker, great hands. If BB can make it happen i say he trades for the #1 pick and selects Suh from Nebraska
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

Shipley has had a great year, but I prefer Tate because he's almost 3 years younger (Shipley is a 6th year player) and all ready plays in a pro-style offense, similar to the one run in New England.

As for Suh, he's been a man amongst boys (the guy even drops back into coverage!) and as much as I'd love to see it, the chances are slim to none.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : I agree... here is a list from another sites mock, not my own but he has the same 1st rounder as you... even though all the ratings will change and nothing ever goes as projected this early. 1st - Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU 2nd - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame 2nd - Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State 2nd - Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky He only had the 1st three rounds. I haven't really even started trying to find any info on any of the draft guys yet, until I read your post. I have heard of the 1st two guys and of course you listed Hughes and I think you mentioned Mathews. Know anything about Lindley? Not sure why he put another CB in there unless he's expected them not to keep bodden or that wilhite and butler can't compete given a lil more experience and some pass rush. Not sure. My own feeling is that Mangini leaving and Dimitrov leaving hurt those years drafts. The Pats really wanted Revis and attempted to trade up to get him but the Jets gave up like half their draft to trump the Pats. He was our D coordinator and I am quite sure he was aware of who the team had been focusing on for the D side of the ball if not overall. If I am not mistaken that coinsided with them letting Asante walk. I think they expected them to get him and were caught with their pants down when the jets gave more. I have the same feeling about Dimitrov in Atalnta. It was widely speculated the Pats were interested in Lofton at LB and he picked him but the one that struck me strange was the pats trading up in the 5th round I think it was 3 or 4 spots to draft a guy who people weren't even sure what position he played or who he was. (Slater) The lightbulb going off part was the team they jumped one spot in front of. Atlanta. Just my stupid conspiracy theory side coming out maybe.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

From what I've read on Lindley, he's a smallish (5-11 180, NE generally drafts smaller corner) corner that needs to add strength, but has played well as both a man and zone corner in the SEC.  He also shows decent ball skills (10 career INT's).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : Seems like the biggest need on offense by far is RT. LT seems all set for yrs with Vollmer. A RT who can handle the right side of the line without TE help will work wonders for the this offense. The TE will be back to being TE, not always staying back to help out on a 3 man rush like we've witnessed this year. So on empty back sets they can actually send 5 potential receivers out on routes. Even without new talent (Moss-Welker-Edelman-Watson-Faulk) would be tough to contend with. The biggest need on defense is the OLB. As we've seen in the 3-4 defense, the front 3 are primarily run stuffers and occupy blockers to free up the LB, who are the playmakers. I bet you cant name the Steelers/Chargers/Broncos/Ravens front 3 players...(ok maybe you know 1). The second nd biggest need is someone with a MEAN STREAK at any position really. Someone receivers have to keep looking around for.
    Posted by geoffchox[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree that OT is a need, outside of the big names a couple guys to keep an eye on are Kyle Calloway (6-7 315/Iowa) in the middle rounds (has the Kirk Ferentz connection), and maybe a guy like Chris Marinelli (6-7 305/Stanford).  I project them to take Mike Johnson in the second, he has experience all across the OL (including RT) and plays for Saban so he could be an option as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Character, play earns TCU's Hughes Lott Award- "It honors on-field performance and personal character among defensive players."

He seems to be everything that Adalius isn't.......

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=4740437

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : Seems like the biggest need on offense by far is RT. LT seems all set for yrs with Vollmer. A RT who can handle the right side of the line without TE help will work wonders for the this offense. The TE will be back to being TE, not always staying back to help out on a 3 man rush like we've witnessed this year. So on empty back sets they can actually send 5 potential receivers out on routes. Even without new talent (Moss-Welker-Edelman-Watson-Faulk) would be tough to contend with. The biggest need on defense is the OLB. As we've seen in the 3-4 defense, the front 3 are primarily run stuffers and occupy blockers to free up the LB, who are the playmakers. I bet you cant name the Steelers/Chargers/Broncos/Ravens front 3 players...(ok maybe you know 1). The second nd biggest need is someone with a MEAN STREAK at any position really. Someone receivers have to keep looking around for.
    Posted by geoffchox[/QUOTE]
    if we truely want some1 with a mean streak then we need to look at miami players going into the draft becuase so far all the miami's players that have got to the NFL have been great and agrresive just look at Ed Reed, Willis McGhee, and Brandon Merriweather all have great ball skills all came from the U AND they are all pro bowl calibure players

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Draft Rounds 1-6 : I think it all depends on how far up they have to trade and who the player is.  It certainly goes away from their general draft philosophy to do so, but I've mentioned wanting them to trade up for Rolando McClain before (6-4 260 LB/Alabama) so while the chances aren't good, I'd love to see them be aggressive and do it.

Now that guy I have seen play a few times. He's really good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

And the PowerBall numbers for Wednesday's $77 million drawing are...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

WOW!  This is wierd.  Pats fans are already discussing the upcoming draft, before the play-off picture gets sorted out; Sox fans are looking ahead to 2011...in 20009!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

BT some of us always love the draft.  Even in a SB wining year, I love and look forward to the draft.  Has nothing to do with how the team is playing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

[QUOTE]BT some of us always love the draft.  Even in a SB wining year, I love and look forward to the draft.  Has nothing to do with how the team is playing.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]
    agreed.  its my second favorite time of year following the playoffs.

i want to see the pats use a first round pick.  i dont want to see them trade out again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

I think we should trade our first round pick down for another 2nd round pick, a 3rd (to make up for the one we sent to Oakland), and a 5th round pick.  That would give us 3 second round pick similar to last year which turned out pretty good with chung, vollmer, and butler. With the exception of brace but lets give him some time, we should have taken Maualuga- LB.

round 1 Mike Iupati OG (if we keep the 1st)

round 2 Vladimir Ducasse OG/RG (if we trade away the 1st)

round 2 Sergio Kindle OLB (texas)

round 2 Toby Gerhart RB (Stanford) or Jermaine Gresham TE

round 3 Ciron Black OT (LSU) or Jason fox OT (Miami, FL)

round 4 Danario Alexander WR (Missouri)

round 6 perry riley OLB (LSU)

round 7 Jeremy Boone P (Penn State)

Jermaine Gresham TE- with an injury this season he could fall in the draft we might be able to   pick him up in the 2nd round.

Sections
Shortcuts