2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    garytx, there have been OGs like Lupati before.  They tend to go to places like Pitt, Baltimore, etc that are run based offs. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I disagree.  Iupati goes in the top 15 this year in a very rich draft.  It's been tradition that guards don't even see the light of day until the end of the 1st round. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Yeah, 

There are always about a half dozen players that rank poorly with them every year in comparison to general consensus. Evidenced by the fact they have him @ #27 on the value board (which is a combination rating but more heavily weighted to consensus).

Again there are always a half dozen top 50 guys every year that they really disagree with everyone on. He just happens to be one of those this year.

Most importantly they always remind they are NOT always right. Just more often right than wrong.

Personally I have no idea. Just raises a red flag with me based on their past performance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I rather listen to Mayock than McShay but for those interested here's his pick on his latest mock:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4674878/mcshays-mock-graham-to-pats

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Yeah,  There are always about a half dozen players that rank poorly with them every year in comparison to general consensus. Evidenced by the fact they have him @ #27 on the value board (which is a combination rating but more heavily weighted to consensus). Again there are always a half dozen top 50 guys every year that they really disagree with everyone on. He just happens to be one of those this year. Most importantly they always remind they are NOT always right. Just more often right than wrong. Personally I have no idea. Just raises a red flag with me based on their past performance.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Can you provide the the site name?  Pay site is fine, I'll fork over the cash.......

What does this site say about Hernandez?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

On the VW discussion....I don't think the Pats trade him away for picks. I think he is franchised and plays this year. 

I pray the Pats do not draft any OL in the 1st or 2nd round unless it is late in the 2nd round, or a great 1st round talent falls to round 2. OL although a position of somewhat need, does not compare against what we need in terms of defense and other offensive positions like WR, RB and possibly TE. Mike Martz's comments on "if we wanted a TE to catch, why would we not put a another WR on the field" are interesting." Do the Pats have the same philosophy given the TE's lack of importance (pass catching) in our offense, or is a product of Ben Watson? I tend to think it's the former,and therefore do not have them drafting Grisham early. I do like Anthony Hernandez if he can be had later.

There is going to be a ton of talent, and talent we need at #22. In fact, I think if the Pats could find a trade partner, I would opt out to trade out of round 1, and pick up another mid 2nd and possibly mid 3rd. With those, we could address all needs and do so with quality players. For some reason I think Spikes is going to slip to round 2, and will be picked up by KC, unless we pick him at #22, or jump ahead of KC in that spot in round 2. Therefore, possible trading partners for VW i like are KC, Cleveland, Oakland.

Since we are projecting, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Pats trade out at 22 and pick up a mid second and third. With 4 picks in round 2, and now 1 in round 3, my picks as follows;

Round 2a: Spikes
    Round 2b: Odrick
    Round 2c:Wilson/Ghee
    Round 2d: Cam Thomas, Lamarr Houston (I like Houston because he can play DE and DT)
    Round 3: ?...Best WR available 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

You're in luck they just added a few more profiles today and his was one of them... Very high praise I'd say.

Aaron Hernandez  TE/ H-Back  Florida 

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

Aaron is the type of Tight End that every spread offense needs to be successful.  He is multi-talented; he can be moved to just about any position and be a match-up nightmare for a defensive coordinator.  He is too big to handle for cornerbacks and safeties to cover, too quick in and out of his breaks and off the line for linebackers to cover.  He is a good blocker in open space because of his overall athleticism.  Aaron has excellent hands and can adjust to the ball in the air.  He loves to be counted on to move the chains in any situation.  Aaron is a tougher, stronger and a little bit quicker version of Dallas Clark (TE - Colts).

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Aaron is a good in-line blocker when he needs to be at the college level.  Most of the reason for this is because he is more athletic and quicker than most of his competition. (I think they are trying to say they do not really ask him to block much at the line?)

BOTTOM LINE

This kid is smart and understands what the offensive game plan is trying to accomplish before and during a game.  Players like Aaron are invaluable to an offensive coordinator and a quarterback because of their versatility and size.  Aaron could be drafted in any of the first three rounds because he is more of a systems tight end, but will impact in any system if used correctly.  This is the type of player that the Patriots are missing in their spread offense.  They have tried to go with the conventional Tight End in the past, but most are not quick enough and struggle to catch the ball down the field.  This prompted them to rely on Wes Welker so much that when Wes is injured, their offense bogs down.  A player like Aaron will take the pressure off of a player like Welker because of a simple match-up situation.  A bigger, more punishing defender now has to match up with a player like Aaron and now Welker is matched up with a lighter LB, Safety or Corner.  I thought that is why they drafted Dave Thomas (TE Saints) a few years back, but I guess that did not work out.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

PatsLifer, I think trading down from 22 is possible specially if their targeted players are gone, I don't think (willing to bet on it) that your first three picks will be there in the second round.

Odrick possible top 20 prospect now but doesn't make it pass 24th, Spikes goes if not at 22 to the Pats he'll be taken by the Ravens Rayray can't play for ever.
    Wilson will be a Jet a Vike or a Colt and Ghee will be picked some where in late 30s or early 40s.

Cam Thomas value is rising but I think he's be around 53, same with Houston I think is a 3rd rounder but might be on the rise.  If he shows well at the combine he might be a 2nd rounder but he does have some bad history that would need to be addressed.

3rd Round I would go with a OLB, like George Selvie or Brandon Lang.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Auchhhhhhh

I don't think anyone forgot, simply those were the most recent discussions. 

In the event Watson leaves, who do you have? Baker and couple of JAG's. So it would become a need.

Also most have continually talked about the likes of Brandon graham, Brandon Spikes, Odrick, etc. with the first few picks...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

You're in luck they just added a few more profiles today and his was one of them... Very high praise I'd say. Aaron Hernandez  TE/ H-Back  Florida  TALENT BOARD  Round 1 STRENGTHS Aaron is the type of Tight End that every spread offense needs to be successful.  He is multi-talented; he can be moved to just about any position and be a match-up nightmare for a defensive coordinator.  He is too big to handle for cornerbacks and safeties to cover, too quick in and out of his breaks and off the line for linebackers to cover.  He is a good blocker in open space because of his overall athleticism.  Aaron has excellent hands and can adjust to the ball in the air.  He loves to be counted on to move the chains in any situation.  Aaron is a tougher, stronger and a little bit quicker version of Dallas Clark (TE - Colts).   NEEDS TO IMPROVE Aaron is a good in-line blocker when he needs to be at the college level.  Most of the reason for this is because he is more athletic and quicker than most of his competition. (I think they are trying to say they do not really ask him to block much at the line?)       BOTTOM LINE This kid is smart and understands what the offensive game plan is trying to accomplish before and during a game.  Players like Aaron are invaluable to an offensive coordinator and a quarterback because of their versatility and size.  Aaron could be drafted in any of the first three rounds because he is more of a systems tight end, but will impact in any system if used correctly.  This is the type of player that the Patriots are missing in their spread offense.  They have tried to go with the conventional Tight End in the past, but most are not quick enough and struggle to catch the ball down the field.  This prompted them to rely on Wes Welker so much that when Wes is injured, their offense bogs down.  A player like Aaron will take the pressure off of a player like Welker because of a simple match-up situation.  A bigger, more punishing defender now has to match up with a player like Aaron and now Welker is matched up with a lighter LB, Safety or Corner.  I thought that is why they drafted Dave Thomas (TE Saints) a few years back, but I guess that did not work out.  
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Low, thanks for the scouting report.

Yeah, I'd say high praise indeed!  Seems his only knock could be inline blocking, which he can do if needed, but generally not asked too like you said.  I'm pumped that they mentioned him as a good fit in NE specifically and provided clear reasoning for the projection; kind of echo's what I've been saying just with greater detail and from a scouts perspective.  Time to bring the kid home to NE (he's from CT).......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey guys aren´t we forgetting about the Pass Rush. We suffer all year because we didn´t have any... now i read all this comments about TE´s & OL´s ??? I think this year draft give us the opportunity to solve & fix our main issue on Defense, take the other team out of the field on 3rd downs. C´mon, we need to get closer to the other team´s QB. This will improve our CB and S. 1st ROUND: DE / MLB 2dn ROUND: OLB / DE 2dn ROUND: CB / RB 2dn ROUND:WR / CB And if everything goes well, next year we´ll have two first rounders to fo OFFENSE all the way. make sense?
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

auchhhhhhh....

There is more than just one hole to fill on this team.  With that being said, I think most fans are firmly onboard with the need of a 3-4 rush OLB that can get some pressure on the QB and make plays behind the LOS, and a ton of names have been tossed out on this thread.  The only questions I have are, do BB and staff feel the same way (they could be higher on Crable than most fans) and if so, who is the player and where do you take him.  From my perspective there are no prospects that are expected to be available (and have a 1st round grade) at 22 that fit NE's profile for the position (6-4+ - 250+), so you may see them wait until rounds 2-4 to get said player. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Looking at the report on Hernandez I think I'm still not convinced about a TE in the first two rounds but this kid could be motioned wide, used as a WR.  Two TEs set in what would be showing as a running play to defences then have him release into a route, you know he would be matched up against a LB or Safety and sounds like is a miss match, I might be coming around on this kid if he truly could like up as a WR and give Ds some miss matches.  SEE like I said WE NEED MORE PICKS!!!

I have 4 must haves and if I'm completely on this kids train it will be 5 and those are just 2nd rounders and could add as many as 5 more to tell you the truth.
    2nd round (wilson not here because like I said IMO he goes in the 1st)
    Cam Thomas NT
    Austen Lane OLB
    Pouncey C/OG
    Tyson Alualu DE

Could easily add"
    Aaron Hernandez
    Kam Chancellor S a 6'3" 240 safety that runs a 4.55 40
    Carlton Mitchell WR USF 6'4" 212
    Jason Fox OT Miami 6'6" 314
    Amari Spievey CB 6'0" 190lbs flying a bit under the radar but will start making a name at the combine

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

P7393 you have "everyone" going so high. If all the guys you keep mentioning keep going up who is falling down?

You know its funny but the value boards are in infantile stages right now. By the time the juniors mesh with the seniors, that actually showed up for senior bowl week, at the combine and then everyone has there pro-day back on campus everything will have changed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats7390210

This one is for you...

Kyle Wilson  CB  Boise St

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

Kyle has good size, strength, speed and quickness to play his position.  He has the bulk and strength needed to be used as a bump and run corner and is very smart.  Kyle has no problems understanding his responsibilities in zone coverage and is a good tackler.  He plays in a 4-2-5 defensive system, but his team uses him as their shutdown corner on an opponent's top receiver in spite of using that system.  He has good quickness and speed and is a good tackler.  This kid is a tough kid and, at this point of the draft, is very underrated.  Kyle has good return special teams abilities, which will add to his impact for the next level.  His size, speed, quickness, tackling abilities, strength, football instincts and overall leadership qualities makes this kid a potential shut down cornerback in the same mold as a Charles Woodson (CB Packers).  He is not as big, but his style of play and toughness will allow him to match up against any size wide receiver. 

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

The first problem for Kyle is that he plays in a system that makes it hard to evaluate.  Most NFL scouts will wait until the combine and Senior Bowl to see for themselves what kind of overall talent Kyle has for the next level.  For me, it was easy...I saw him against Fresno St shut down a kid who has 4.3 speed. 

BOTTOM LINE

I don't believe that Kyle will be drafted in the first round of this draft.  He is a defensive back that plays in a 4-2-5 defense and comes from Boise St.  That being said, it doesn't change my profile on the kid!  He has first round talent and the team that drafts him in any round should be very happy and be able to start him right away.  He has good special teams talent, which makes him a player who can impact immediately as he works his way into the line up. It will be interesting to see how far Kyle can work his way up into the early rounds of this draft after the combine and Senior Bowl.  Kyle plays the game effortlessly and that, along with the style of defense, is keeping Kyle under the radar at this point of the draft.  

As you can tell they wrote this before the senior bowl week but seemed to be right on about him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Out of the ones I mention are 2nd round prospects on most site that have rnd rankings, guys who are on the rise (based on sites and Mike Mayocks opinion which I value over Mel's any day)
    Lane
    Cam Thomas
    Tyson Alualu

Lane I have been talking now for a while no secret about this guy. Thomas I heard Mayock talk about him and did some digging up.  They guy is a large body NT that has strength to create a push in the middle.  I personally have him ranked higher than Cody. 

Tyson Alualu had a solid college career and showed at the Senior Bowl he could play DT/DE. 
    http://www.examiner.com/x-599-Cal-Bears-Examiner~y2010m1d30-Alualu-shines-at-Senior-Bowl

As far as who moves down one player I have moved out of the 2nd for me is Cody, I think he's moving into the 3rd.  He will need to prove a lot at the combine and pro day to move back.  Now I just don't have 32 2nd rnd projections, there are plenty of guys who get a 2nd rnd projection but there are just so many picks.  That is specially the case this year, tons of quality players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I can't stomach the thought of losing VW this year.  I think Williams is out of reach.  I think Cam Thomas is an option at #53.  I have him rated at #69 right now but he is sure to rise.  I don't see Cody or Price being options.  Price is too small and is suited to be a 4-3 DT.  I worry about Cody keeping his weight and conditioning in check. 

Cam Thomas appears to be the only other option for our scheme in the first 3-4 rounds.  If we feel like VW will play this year we could wait until 2011 when we have two 1st rounders.  I'm not sold we have to go QB yet.  I think Odrick should be our man at #22.  He is the perfect replacement for Seymour assuming we want to stay in the 3-4.  While I love Spikes, I think it is so hard to find a 3-4 DE.  There are some MLB options like Danny Batten and Dane Fletcher.  Batten showed at the TvN game that he can move from DE and play MLB and Fletcher is an UDRFA type that is projected as OLB that I think can play inside. 

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange
    Latest News
    12/24/2009 - 2009 ASSOCIATED PRESS FCS FIRST TEAM ALL-AMERICAN: Defensive Linemen - Dane Fletcher, senior, 6-2, 242, Montana State, has been selected First Team FCS All-American for the 2009 college football season as voted on by The Associated Press. - AP Sports

12/16/2009 - 2009 AFCA FCS ALL-AMERICA TEAM: DL - Dane Fletcher, Montana State, has been named to the 2009 AFCA Football Championship Subdivision Coaches' All-America Team as selected by the American Football Coaches Association. Fletcher, a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award as the FCS' top defensive player, posted a sensational senior season. The Bozeman native finished second nationally in tackles-for-loss with 1.94 per game, and 16th in sacks (0.78). In spite of missing two games with mono and struggling with injuries early in the season, Fletcher finished 2009 with 17.5 tackles-for-loss and seven sacks. He also hurried the quarterback four times, broke up one pass, and blocked a pair of kicks. Fletcher adds All-America honors to an already lengthy list of accolades this season. He earned First Team All-Big Sky honors for the first time, and became MSU's third Big Sky Defensive MVP in the last seven seasons. During his spectacular career, he recorded 51 tackles-for-loss, fifth among players active during 2009. He joins two-time All-America defensive lineman Corey Widmer (1990, '91), long snapper Dusty Daws (2004), and defensive lineman Brad Daws (1975) as Bozeman products to earn All-America honors for the Bobcats. - Montana State football

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Thanks IQ, so that person says he's a first round talent that won't be drafted in the first round?  Ok I can buy that but I think he's wrong and I'll give you three reasons why:
    1-Vikes, their secondary is the weakest part of that D
    2-Jets, not many holes having a possible 2nd shut down corner is not something Rex will pass up
    3-Indy, their secondary looked bad in the SB they would love to have a guy would give Bob Sanders a smaller field because Wilson would lock up a WR and not need over the top help.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Mayock vs. Mel.

Mayock's board doesn't change that much from the first time he puts one together until draft day.  His top 5 at every position is something he makes little adjustments on as well.  Very consistant.

Mel is all over the place and finally puts one together that makes sense just before the draft.  I think people have an interest in what he thinks but you don't have to read too long until you say to yourself, "This is garbage." and move on.  Maybe to visit again in another month.  Why a person would pay for such a site I don't know.  Seems fruitless to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Pats

Remember though they wrote that before Kyle Wilson got media hype when they thought they were the only ones thinking he was really really good.

They don't have time to go back and be like oh now that everyone knows he's as good as we do we will go back and change the profile.

I didn't see anyone here talking about Wilson before senior bowl week but that profile was written more than a week before practices started.

I am not saying he won't go in the first because he is a hot prospect now. 

I am not sure Indy will be looking for one in the first round. Don't look at the super bowl as your reason why. That's as bad as those looking to the 2007 super bowl as the reason the Pats need O-lineman.

I think that Indy and the Jets have other pressing needs.

Minny maybe although I have seen people talk safety and i thought i saw something about Pat Williams retiring possibly (38) as well as the left side of their O-line getting long in the tooth. Hutchinson and McKinnie, I don't know what they have for depth already but this is around the time they look for the heir apparent.

Players always slide every year, just never know who. Most of us thought it impossible to think CJ Spiller could be there at the Patriots pick yet some recent mocks I have seen have him going after the patriots pick, while still being the first RB off the board.

The draft can't have 50 1st round picks and 50 2nd round picks. When it all shakes out there will be plenty of guys that are there later than we think.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pats Remember though they wrote that before Kyle Wilson got media hype when they thought they were the only ones thinking he was really really good. They don't have time to go back and be like oh now that everyone knows he's as good as we do we will go back and change the profile. I didn't see anyone here talking about Wilson before senior bowl week but that profile was written more than a week before practices started. I am not saying he won't go in the first because he is a hot prospect now.  I am not sure Indy will be looking for one in the first round. Don't look at the super bowl as your reason why. That's as bad as those looking to the 2007 super bowl as the reason the Pats need O-lineman. I think that Indy and the Jets have other pressing needs. Minny maybe although I have seen people talk safety and i thought i saw something about Pat Williams retiring possibly (38) as well as the left side of their O-line getting long in the tooth. Hutchinson and McKinnie, I don't know what they have for depth already but this is around the time they look for the heir apparent. Players always slide every year, just never know who. Most of us thought it impossible to think CJ Spiller could be there at the Patriots pick yet some recent mocks I have seen have him going after the patriots pick, while still being the first RB off the board. The draft can't have 50 1st round picks and 50 2nd round picks. When it all shakes out there will be plenty of guys that are there later than we think.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Post one of this thread was on 1/21 and contained my mock with Wilson in it (#53 overall), I don't believe SB practices started until 1/26.  He caught my eye during the Fiesta Bowl vs. TCU. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

I've seen some reputable draft sites suggest there are 59 players who receive a first round grade in this draft.  This means obviously that the Pats should (and better) come away with 4 first round talent players.  BB and the Pats brain trust were thinking ahead last year by picking up additional picks this year.  Now it is time to use them and not bank them for another year.

I disagree with the idea of moving out of the first round again to pick up another 2nd and 3rd.  The only reason I would support such a move is IF all of the following players are gone, M. Iupati, D. Williams, B. Spikes, J. Odrick, and B. Graham.  If they are gone, then okay but we need impact players.  We also need to take care of keeping some core players from last year, Wilfork, Bodden, TBC, and Faulk.  I'd even keep Watson just so he's an option instead of drafting a TE.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Sorry mbeau I meant as a first round talent... I am not always real clear.

Good spot by you.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

No prob man, thanks.

It's going to be interesting to see how high his stock rises.  If he has the shut down corner potential similar to Woodson, he'd be a steal at 22.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Faucet,
    Any idea what the average of the top 10 TE's would be?  I know you had mentioned TE's being one of the lower paid positions in the league, but I'm curious as to what the dollar amount would be if he were transition tagged.

I still want Hernandez though!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

mb here:

CORNERBACK: $9.566 million (franchise), $8.056 million (transition)

DEFENSIVE END: $12.398m, $10.193m

DEFENSIVE TACKLE: $7.003m, $6.353m

LINEBACKER: $9.680m, $8.373m

OFFENSIVE LINE: $10.731m, $9.142m

PUNTER/KICKER: $2.814m, $2.629m

QUARTERBACK: $16.405m, $14.546m

RUNNING BACK: $8.156m, $7.151m

SAFETY: $6.455m, $6.011m

TIGHT END: $5.908m, $5.248m

WIDE RECEIVER: $9.521m, $8.651m

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyfan1297. Show bradyfan1297's posts

[QUOTE]i think that DE/OLB is most crucial so we should take care of that in the first.  if brandon graham from michigan is available i say we jump all over that.  in the second round we should get the best available OL, another DE/OLB, and solid RB.  in that order.
    Posted by FOWLER8196[/QUOTE]
    Now u are a true past fan I like that man

Sections
Shortcuts