2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Latest attempt at a mock.  We can get our DT later in the draft. PK RD 1 Needs Selection 1 STL QB   OG   DE   CB   WR   DT   OLB   Sam Bradford 2 DET DE   OG   RB   S   DT   K Ndamukong Suh 3 TB WR   OT   DE   OLB   SS   CB   OG   Russell Okung 4 WSH OT   OG   QB   RB   WR   SS   K Jimmy Clausen 5 KC OT   SS   DT   CB   WR   OLB   ILB   Gerald McCoy 6 SEA OG   OT   WR   ILB   FS   CB   RB   Bryan Bulaga 7 CLE QB   DE   OG   OT   WR   ILB   CB   Derrick Morgan 8 OAK OG   WR   QB   OT   DE   SS   Eric Berry 9 BUF OT   QB   DT   WR   OLB   OG   FS   Trent Williams 10 DEN WR   DT   ILB   TE   DE   OG   C Dan Williams 11 JAX DE   WR   CB   OG   OC   FS   DT   Dez Bryant 12 MIA FS   DT   OLB   DE   OG   C   WR Jason Pierre-Paul 13 SF OG   SS   CB   DT   DE   QB   Anthony Davis 14 SEA OG   OT   WR   FS   CB   RB   C.J. Spiller 15 NYG CB   FS   ILB   OT   OLB   DT   SS   Rolando McClain 16 TEN DT   DE   ILB   OLB   C   WR   CB   Brandon Graham 17 SF OG   SS   CB   DT   DE   QB   Joe Haden 18 PIT OT   OG   CB   C   DT   DE   ILB   Mike Iupati 19 ATL OG   DT   OLB   WR   DE   K Golden Tate 20 HOU OG   RB   DT   CB   OLB   FS   WR   Earl Thomas 21 CIN DE   OLB   OG   DT   FB   TE   Carlos Dunlap 22 NE OLB   ILB   WR   TE   DT DE RB Ryan Mathews 23 GB OT   CB   OG   OLB   ILB   SS   WR   Sergio Kindle 24 PHI OG   CB   FS   ILB   RB   DT   K Taylor Mays 25 BAL CB   C   DE   ILB   DT   OLB   Maurkice Pouncey 26 ARI CB   OT   OLB   DE   TE   OG   QB   Kyle Wilson 27 DAL OT   OG   DE   ILB   FS   SS   K Bruce Campbell 28 SD DT   RB   OG   S   ILB   DE   TE   Terrence Cody 29 NYJ WR   DT   DE   OG   SS   OT   RB   Jared Odrick 30 MIN CB   ILB   OG   SS   QB   DT   OT   Devin McCourty 31 IND DT   CB   C   WR   FS   K   OT   Brian Price 32 NO OT   OLB   SS   DE   OG   K   TE   Sean Weatherspoon   RD 2     33 STL OG   DE   CB   WR   DT   OLB   Everson Griffen 34 DET DE   OG   RB   S   K Jahvid Best 35 TB WR   DE OLB   SS   CB   OG   Corey Wootton 36 KC OT   CB   WR   OLB   ILB   DeMaryius Thomas 37 WSH OT   OG   RB   WR   SS   K Charles Brown 38 CLE QB   OG   OT   WR   ILB   CB   Rodger Saffold 39 OAK OG   WR   QB   OT   DE   SS   Ricky Sapp 40 SD DT   RB   OG   S   ILB   DE   TE   Toby Gerhart 41 BUF OT   DT   WR   OLB   OG   FS   Tim Tebow 42 TB WR   OLB   SS   CB   OG   Brandon LaFell 43 MIA FS   DT   OLB   OG   C   WR Arrelious Benn 44 NE OLB   ILB   WR   TE   DT DE Jermaine Gresham 45 DEN WR   ILB   TE   DE   OG   C Rob Gronkowski 46 NYG CB   FS   OT   OLB   DT   SS   Patrick Robinson 47 CAR WR   QB   DE   DT   TE   CB   OLB   Colt McCoy 48 NE OLB   ILB   WR   DT   DE Jerry Hughes 49 SF OG   SS   DT   DE   QB   Alex Carrington 50 KC OT   CB   OLB   ILB   Daryl Washington 51 HOU OG   RB   DT   CB   OLB   WR   Jonathan Dwyer 52 PIT OT   CB   C   DT   DE   ILB   Tyson Alualu 53 NE ILB   WR   DT   DE Damian Williams
    Posted by Faucetman

Wow, this is pretty good. I could see the draft unfolding like this to be honest with you. As much as we may like certain players, it doesn't meen we will get them. All though I would love to see Graham as the pick, he's gone and that may happen. Can't pass up on Mathews if it unfolded this way. This kid runs with so much balance he could stand on one leg and handle the junk in the middle better than Maroney. Nice pad level, size, speed and has the connection at the school he's from with Belichek's bud.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Faucet I really question how little you value the DE spot in a 3-4.  Seymour still gone. Green was ok last year in a starting role and he was a 4th round pick and considered a guy they hit on at that late a round. He's gone too. Wright was a UDFA and a very good backup but again he isn't a quality season long starter.  Pryor same thing, played well and above his raft round but still graded out significantly behind even wright.  I have no idea what they thought of Brace but we all saw the same thing last season with regards to Brace's limited opportunities.  I know its considered a good class at the position but I am not sure they are talking starting quality into the 4th, 5th , 6th rounds. I do not believe that is what they mean. Bottom line is right now we do NOT have a legitimate starting RDE to replace Seymour or even Green. This draft is considered a good one for DL but you also have an increasing number of teams looking for 3-4 DE's now which may or may not offset some of that supposed DL depth. I still believe you have to build from the line out and therefore need a top DE in the draft. IMO. Pats DE's in the 3-4 alignment last season...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

The team should be built from the line out, agreed, but what are you going to do? Trade all of our picks and move up for Suh? Oderick in my opinion is not worthy of the 22 overal pick. Dunlap will be taken probably in the first and will be a bust. Suh to me is very similar to Seymore, he has that power and mix of balance and strong build. I'm sure Bill is in love with the kid. To me we can't afford to reach for players, we really have to hit on this draft. This team is lacking talent in alot of places, so drafting for need shouldn't be the strategy. We need players everywhere! Bad drafting the last 4 years has done that (except for last year).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

mthurl, yes the other than the last draft the 3 previous stunk it up.  But we have the holes we have due to never drafting an OLB high, OT high before Sea Bass etc.  Light was a high pick ages ago, kazur is ok, but not great.  We need all the picks we have and to pick well with them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Faucet I really question how little you value the DE spot in a 3-4.  Seymour still gone. Green was ok last year in a starting role and he was a 4th round pick and considered a guy they hit on at that late a round. He's gone too. Wright was a UDFA and a very good backup but again he isn't a quality season long starter.  Pryor same thing, played well and above his raft round but still graded out significantly behind even wright.  I have no idea what they thought of Brace but we all saw the same thing last season with regards to Brace's limited opportunities.  I know its considered a good class at the position but I am not sure they are talking starting quality into the 4th, 5th , 6th rounds. I do not believe that is what they mean. Bottom line is right now we do NOT have a legitimate starting RDE to replace Seymour or even Green. This draft is considered a good one for DL but you also have an increasing number of teams looking for 3-4 DE's now which may or may not offset some of that supposed DL depth. I still believe you have to build from the line out and therefore need a top DE in the draft. IMO. Pats DE's in the 3-4 alignment last season...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

IQ,

I very much value finding the next Seymour.  Problem is there isn't one anywhere near us at #22.  When I did my mock, I tried to put myself in place of each team's GM but of course I'm biased.  In so doing, when I came to each of the Pats spots I took BPA within an area of need. 

I said before, if Gresham gets out of the first round, I could see him dropping all the way to us unless someone takes him because of BPA instead of needs.  The reason why that might not happen is because most teams picking early in the 2nd round are bad teams and they need to plug holes with the exception of SD but even SD must come out of the first two rounds with a RB and NT and they still have Gates.  I know its wishful thinking but you can't argue that if the draft unfolded this way, we should and would be all over Gresham at 44. 

That said, who do you take at 48 if Hughes and Alualu are there?  I go with Hughes every day of the week to help our pass rush and fill a potentially huge hole if Thomas is moved.  Under my mock Aluala comes off right before our #53.  If he was there, I'd have taken him but I don't see the Steelers passing on him.

I agree ith Mthurl that you don't just take a player high to plug a hole when the player doesn't project to be a stud.  I likely would take Clifton Geathers in the 4th and you know I bring his name up often.  He has the size, speed and at only 20 years old, the potential to be the next Seymour.  I think we will take a DT somewhere since we only have 5 DL on the team.  But I really think we will find the next RS in 2011 with one of those two firsts.

Thanks for the back up Mthurl.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : The team should be built from the line out, agreed, but what are you going to do? Trade all of our picks and move up for Suh? Oderick in my opinion is not worthy of the 22 overal pick. Dunlap will be taken probably in the first and will be a bust. Suh to me is very similar to Seymore, he has that power and mix of balance and strong build. I'm sure Bill is in love with the kid. To me we can't afford to reach for players, we really have to hit on this draft. This team is lacking talent in alot of places, so drafting for need shouldn't be the strategy. We need players everywhere! Bad drafting the last 4 years has done that (except for last year).
    Posted by mthurl

I love gentlemen such as yourself who twist what I say. Very funny.

I do not recall suggesting any trades anywhere and certainly do not recall suggesting going to get a suh. 

I also never suggested Dunlap as a DE. I only see him as an OLB in the base 3-4.

Sometimes I think you either glance over what I write or simply make your own mind about about what I write separate from what I actually write.

What I did suggest, and yes I have no idea if I am correct, is that you have a far greater chance of getting a starting caliber DE (and you just wrote that you agreed it is MORE important to do so) by selecting one early in the 2nd rather than late in the 4th or even later.

Don't even get me started on the past drafts because I do not subscribe to the notion that the Patriots drafts were all bad for the past many years as everyone tries to make them out to be.

I believe 2007 was within the last 4 years. Hmmm first three picks. Pro bowl safety in the 1st round ranked 7th of all safeties in the NFL last season. Hall of Fame receiver, arguably in the top 5 all time in the 3rd round. When all said and down maybe arguably the greatest slot receiver in the history of the NFL in the 2nd round. Even if the rest of the draft is nothing thats still a good draft in my book. The latter two may not have come out in that draft class but we acquired them using the Patriots draft picks. One prior and one IN/during the draft.

We have no idea on others more recent as it takes three years. You also have to compare the drafts to other teams in each year and see how many they hit on because some of those draft classes were horrendous and the Pats still did a better job finding guys then most other NFL teams. Fans want to rip the Patriots in a bubble without looking at the whole picture. Is it magic teams like the Patriots and colts can stay relevant and on top for a decade while continually picking last or near the bottom year after year? I think they have a very good handle, while not perfect, on handling their personnel decisions.

I could go on but i see you already believe the whole untrue, nonfactual hype that their drafts for many years have been very bad. ...and NO before you jump on me I do not think the drafts were all excellent either.

As far as Odrick. I have no idea if he can play the 5 and if he's worth 22 or not. You have as much chance of being right that he can't as I do that he can. Neither of us know.

In Faucets mock he still goes in the 1st to the jets. Fine trade back to SD at #28. Let them have Mathews and possibly pick up their 3rd as well. The reason I hesitate to say that though is I do not even know how the Patriots grade Odrick Nor do I know if he would make it by the Ravens as they lost their DE in FA. I believe the center is coming back. He was the 2nd best center in the NFL last season. Maybe he's long in the tooth or last year of contract. I do not know their situation.

I was simply saying the DE spot for me , just my opinion, is more important than some of the skill spots in the early rounds. Never suggesting trading up and its just my opinion. If I knew I was right I would be working for the Pats instead of a fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I love gentlemen such as yourself who twist what I say. Very funny. I do not recall suggesting any trades anywhere and certainly do not recall suggesting going to get a suh.  I also never suggested Dunlap as a DE. I only see him as an OLB in the base 3-4. Sometimes I think you either glance over what I write or simply make your own mind about about what I write separate from what I actually write. What I did suggest, and yes I have no idea if I am correct, is that you have a far greater chance of getting a starting caliber DE (and you just wrote that you agreed it is MORE important to do so) by selecting one early in the 2nd rather than late in the 4th or even later. Don't even get me started on the past drafts because I do not subscribe to the notion that the Patriots drafts were all bad for the past many years as everyone tries to make them out to be. I believe 2007 was within the last 4 years. Hmmm first three picks. Pro bowl safety in the 1st round ranked 7th of all safeties in the NFL last season. Hall of Fame receiver, arguably in the top 5 all time in the 3rd round. When all said and down maybe arguably the greatest slot receiver in the history of the NFL in the 2nd round. Even if the rest of the draft is nothing thats still a good draft in my book. The latter two may not have come out in that draft class but we acquired them using the Patriots draft picks. One prior and one IN/during the draft. We have no idea on others more recent as it takes three years. You also have to compare the drafts to other teams in each year and see how many they hit on because some of those draft classes were horrendous and the Pats still did a better job finding guys then most other NFL teams. Fans want to rip the Patriots in a bubble without looking at the whole picture. Is it magic teams like the Patriots and colts can stay relevant and on top for a decade while continually picking last or near the bottom year after year? I think they have a very good handle, while not perfect, on handling their personnel decisions. I could go on but i see you already believe the whole untrue, nonfactual hype that their drafts for many years have been very bad. ...and NO before you jump on me I do not think the drafts were all excellent either. As far as Odrick. I have no idea if he can play the 5 and if he's worth 22 or not. You have as much chance of being right that he can't as I do that he can. Neither of us know. In Faucets mock he still goes in the 1st to the jets. Fine trade back to SD at #28. Let them have Mathews and possibly pick up their 3rd as well. The reason I hesitate to say that though is I do not even know how the Patriots grade Odrick Nor do I know if he would make it by the Ravens as they lost their DE in FA. I believe the center is coming back. He was the 2nd best center in the NFL last season. Maybe he's long in the tooth or last year of contract. I do not know their situation. I was simply saying the DE spot for me , just my opinion, is more important than some of the skill spots in the early rounds. Never suggesting trading up and its just my opinion. If I knew I was right I would be working for the Pats instead of a fan.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I wasn't saying you thought we should trade up to get Suh. I was saying that there aren't any 34 DE worthy of the 22nd pick, in my opinion. Hell trading up to get Suh is not that crazy anyways, he's a heck of a player. Wish I could comment on more of what you wrote, but honestly I can't remember all of it. But I do remember you mentioning our Pro Bowl safety, you meen Merriweather correct. The guy that made the pro bowl after Bob Sanders and Troy Palumalu got hurt and Rodney retired? I mean they have to put someone in there don't they?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Gentlemen I absolutely agree with you both (Faucet and mthurl) in that there isn't a seymour at #22. 

Seymour is considered by many to be the best #5 pick in the history of the NFL.

So I really was not meaning we need another seymour @ #22.

Hey I certainly could be completely wrong here but I just meant for me imo I think they should look for the best one(DE) they can find with either 44 or 48 if they keep those picks.

I just like my law of averages more picking one in the early 2nd rather than late 4th or even later.

Maybe they take a guy like Faucets boy in the 6th (Gaithers) and he turns out to be a home run stud at DE or the kid from LSU Woods.

I simply like their chances of finding a three down starter at DE earlier rather than later and I think the position is very important.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : IQ, I very much value finding the next Seymour.  Problem is there isn't one anywhere near us at #22.  When I did my mock, I tried to put myself in place of each team's GM but of course I'm biased.  In so doing, when I came to each of the Pats spots I took BPA within an area of need.  I said before, if Gresham gets out of the first round, I could see him dropping all the way to us unless someone takes him because of BPA instead of needs.  The reason why that might not happen is because most teams picking early in the 2nd round are bad teams and they need to plug holes with the exception of SD but even SD must come out of the first two rounds with a RB and NT and they still have Gates.  I know its wishful thinking but you can't argue that if the draft unfolded this way, we should and would be all over Gresham at 44.  That said, who do you take at 48 if Hughes and Alualu are there?  I go with Hughes every day of the week to help our pass rush and fill a potentially huge hole if Thomas is moved.  Under my mock Aluala comes off right before our #53.  If he was there, I'd have taken him but I don't see the Steelers passing on him. I agree ith Mthurl that you don't just take a player high to plug a hole when the player doesn't project to be a stud.  I likely would take Clifton Geathers in the 4th and you know I bring his name up often.  He has the size, speed and at only 20 years old, the potential to be the next Seymour.  I think we will take a DT somewhere since we only have 5 DL on the team.  But I really think we will find the next RS in 2011 with one of those two firsts. Thanks for the back up Mthurl.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet I do and I am pretty sure I have said as much in another post that I do follow the logic of Gresham actually making it to us at #44 IF no one considers it too much vale to pass up by them. Need aside that is. There is logic behind it based on need and I follow you.

There is a point for every team however that a player becomes too much value regardless of need for a position. They will just trade the the pick to a team that needs the player or trade an existing player at the same position and keep the new found value in the player at that spot.

Yes I agree I think the patriots would be all over him if he slid to them at #44.

I also have never suggested they reach for a player. I also wrote a post on here explaining that I like that the Patriots by and large follow their own grading system and do not subscribe to that universal scouting grading system that 90% of the teams belong too.

We don't know what the grades are on various players in the Patriots eyes. They took Vollmer in the 2nd. He wasn't even invited to the combine and most of the draft-niks had him as a late rounder. They have their own minds and I love that about them mistakes and all.

Many have Odrick somewhere between mid 20's to early 30's. The Patriots could have him in the teens? OR they could have him in the 40's for all I know. The same for someone like Carrington. He's by most accounts in the early 3rd round I think. But maybe the Patriots think he's a 1st round talent. Who knows.

The one thing I do believe is that if they like a guy at DE either at 22 OR somewhere in the early 2nd but they feel they need to take him 4 or 5 picks earlier because someone will take him after them before they pick again AND they feel there is a substantial drop off after that player then they will not consider it a reach and take the player.

See you ask me who I would take hughes or alualu. That skips my point as I would not take a RB at #22.

I look at it this way.

Hole at DE is NOW this season right now. They have it in the present.

Hole at RB is future, next season. Should they start working towards that yes.  ...but now? before addressing the priority of what is right upon them? I do not see the logistics in it is all.

In short I value the DE spot more than the RB and the DE spot is vacant right now and the RB spot is not.

For my own personal opinion I think it would be backwards logistically to address them in reverse order.

Now for the sake of you not saying I did not answer your question I would not take hughes that high because I am unsure if he can be more than a pass rush specialist and thats really high for only a 3rd down pass rush specialist.

He was playing DE in the 4-3 in the bowl game against Boise state and was not doing anything special. Especially against the run. Are you telling me Boise States Right Tackle is all world? Hughes has a really impressive first step and his rushing ability is impressive I agree with you. I have a hard time swallowing drafting a guy that high if he is not going to be a 3 down player. Hey might prove to be awesome but I have some doubts so I would go  with the player I felt more comfortable with. 

See I was thinking next year is the year they will address the Tackle and RB spot because next year you have two first rounders. Light's contract is up. Maroney and Fred Taylors contracts up. Etc. 

Address the needs as you have them and take care of the ones in your face now. That's just how I am though. That's how I am in my personal work also. I fix the immediate problem now and get the one I know is coming afterwards but hey thats just my own funny logic.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

I love a spirited debate but it seems some get defensive when views differ.  Let's all celebrate and remain optimistic that we are going to have one heck of a great draft and put a team out there in 2010 that is much better than the team we fielded in 2009.  We all remember how pathetic we were in 2006 with no receivers, right?  We still went to the AFC Championship game and should've beat the Colts if the refs and flu didn't kill us.  We then went out and got Moss, Stallworth, and Welker.  Thomas aside, those three offensive weapons added in the off season sparked a 16-0 season and record setting offense that may not be matched in our lifetimes.

This year we have 4 of the top 53 picks in a loaded draft.  I have stated repeatedly that we can win in this league by blowing people out and having just an average defense.  We were 12th last year on D so our D is really close to top third.  The Colts have won that way for years.  We won that way in 2007.  We don't have to find a great DE in the draft.  I read that we signed Wilfork, Bodden, Neal and TBC for less than the Bears paid to get Peppers.  Who is the smarter team? 

Our defense is young.  Assuming Springs and Thomas leave we would have just TBC over 30 years old and he just turns 30 before the season starts.  I say, plug one hole on D, be it 34 DE or OLB with a premium pick and get some play makers with the other 3.  It was so much fun blowing the doors off people in 2007.  I would like to see it again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Guys, I love a spirited debate but it seems some get defensive when views differ.  Let's all celebrate and remain optimistic that we are going to have one heck of a great draft and put a team out there in 2010 that is much better than the team we fielded in 2009.  We all remember how pathetic we were in 2006 with no receivers, right?  We still went to the AFC Championship game and should've beat the Colts if the refs and flu didn't kill us.  We then went out and got Moss, Stallworth, and Welker.  Thomas aside, those three offensive weapons added in the off season sparked a 16-0 season and record setting offense that may not be matched in our lifetimes. This year we have 4 of the top 53 picks in a loaded draft.  I have stated repeatedly that we can win in this league by blowing people out and having just an average defense.  We were 12th last year on D so our D is really close to top third.  The Colts have won that way for years.  We won that way in 2007.  We don't have to find a great DE in the draft.  I read that we signed Wilfork, Bodden, Neal and TBC for less than the Bears paid to get Peppers.  Who is the smarter team?  Our defense is young.  Assuming Springs and Thomas leave we would have just TBC over 30 years old and he just turns 30 before the season starts.  I say, plug one hole on D, be it 34 DE or OLB with a premium pick and get some play makers with the other 3.  It was so much fun blowing the doors off people in 2007.  I would like to see it again.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet no worries, I would not have ever sent you a message about contributing to our website if I had issues with your work or opinions even if disagreed with from time to time.

Here again I think you are misremembering 2007.

2007 - Not only did Brady have some new Weapons Moss and Welker (he had them last year too but I understand  your point, no real 3rd receiver option) BUT it was the first year of the Spread offense BB started incorporating after spending time with his body Myers down in Florida.

Lets set the stage shall we. 

AFC east in 2007 was a complete joke.

Bills 7-9
    Jets 4-12
    Dolphins 1-15

The addition/unveiling of the spread and how they used their new receiving weapons in 2007 was akin to a rookie QB having have a decent rookie year and taking a step back his sophomore year as teams develop a "book" on him.

Once the Patriots hit the half way mark at week 8 in 2007 they weren't blowing anyone out except the truly pathetic teams. Of the final 8 games in regular season the Patriots...

week 9 beat Indy by only 4 points in a very tough close game.

week 10 Bye

week 11 Blow out pathetic Buffalo (buffalo lost 6 of its final 8 and the two wins against helpless 1-15 Miami)

week 12 barely beat Philly by 3 points

week 13 barely beat Baltimore by 3 point

week 14 solid win over Pitt by 21 points (Steelers were ok that year 10-6 and in battle with cleveland for division. No Palomalu and I think it was the game some no name DB was filling in for one of their starting DB's not palomalu and had mouthed off in thee week leading up to the game and Brady torched him all day)

week 15 beat the lowly jets by 10 points

week 16 beat 1-15 miami by 21 points

week 17 beat giants by 3 points

If you look at the season objectively the games got tougher and tighter as the teams got a book on the new offense and its weapons. Especially playing anyone decent and not total scrubs. We certainly did not just blow right through any opponent week after week.

Move to the post season.

Jaguars game. They bafflingly decide to lay back and bring no pressure the whole game and Brady picked them apart. Pats win by 11 but again not a blow out.

Chargers. Pats could have lost that game easily if it weren't for Maroney. He was unstoppable and covered for Brady's many INT's and poor day. Pats win by 9 and only score 21 points.

Giants and super bowl we all know what happened the offense that really wasn't blowing anyone out for most of the 2nd half of the season and who barely beat the chargers put up a pathetic 14 points in the super bowl.

That was the 2nd fewest points scored in a super bowl by an offense since 1994.

In 2007 the defense was ranked 4th in the NFL in total defense.

I don't think going all offense in the draft would do anything for us. Nothing special at all and we certainly would not go through the league blowing anyone out. 

People are well documented now on the Patriots spread offense. They are also well documented on how to deal with Moss. You are not going to take anyone by surprise for the 1st half of the season and any rookie coming in still has some learning curve. Even the quickest learners have some.

In the 2007 high powered offense post season we went 31 - 21 - 14 in points scored. Each game scoring less.

In 2006 by contrast, the year you said we were awful cause we had only Reche caldwell. (I agree we were undermanned at WR but not awful as a team)

2006 post season we went 37 - 24 - 34 in points scored. 

We scored more points in the post season with reche caldwell as our #1 then we ever have with Randy Moss as our #1.

In short no thank you to the idea of going all offense and we will just blow every one out every game. imo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Scouts certainly throw out some interesting things when they tweet.

chrissteuber "As much as I like Florida CB Joe Haden, the more I watch #Rutgers CB Devin McCourty (@dmac_21), who is one of my favs, he may be the top CB."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Some additional info from Reiss on the compensatory picks. They will be awarded at the annual owners meeting starting on Monday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

There are several DL prospects that have physical build similar to Seymour but just do no have the resume yet.  As stated by others on the board, Clifton Geathers seems to have the most potential based on his impressive combine.  He had 4.5 TFL against Florida which feachers M. Pouncy.  Otherwise his resume is pretty spotty.  I might over-reach for him in the second round in the same we reached for Vollmer last.

With I updated mock for our first four picks with the main purpose to fix the defense.  The assumptions are that we don't trade for McClain and JPP, Dunlop, and Graham would be gone at #22:
    1.  Ricky Sapp OLB.  Elite rushing OLB should be gone by the our next pick.  So we have to take one here because of our need.
    2a. Rodger Saffold, OT.  Have to take advantage of the depth at OL in this draft.
    2b. Clifton Geathers, DE. Explained above.
    2c. Brandon Spikes, ILB.  Plenty has been said about him on this board.  Should be comparable to Ted Johnson.  Both Mayo and Guyton are fast but not too heavy.  Spikes is the best thumper ILB in the draft.  Junior does no need to come back anymore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Konz Highlights Kent State Pro Day
    Courtesy: Kent State Athletic Communications
              Release: 03/11/2010
     Send this article to a friend Print RSS

View larger Courtesy: Kent State Athletic Communications
    http://www.kentstatesports. com
    KENT, Ohio — Kent State held its annual football Pro Day this morning and those on hand — including the Cleveland Browns — were treated to a show by Uniontown, Ohio native Jameson Konz.

Projected as a tight end/wide receiver in the NFL, the fifth-year senior turned in a 46-inch vertical leap and a 4.38 40-yard dash among his other measurements. Konz’ vertical leap was two inches better than what any player turned in at the recent NFL combine, while his 40 time would have ranked second among all tight ends and wide receivers.

The 6-3, 234-pound Konz had 21 catches for 298 yards and a pair of touchdowns last season for the Golden Flashes.

KENT, Ohio — Kent State held its annual football Pro Day this morning and those on hand — including the Cleveland Browns — were treated to a show by Uniontown, Ohio native Jameson Konz.

Projected as a tight end/wide receiver in the NFL, the fifth-year senior turned in a 46-inch vertical leap and a 4.38 40-yard dash among his other measurements. Konz’ vertical leap was two inches better than what any player turned in at the recent NFL combine, while his 40 time would have ranked second among all tight ends and wide receivers.

The 6-3, 234-pound Konz had 21 catches for 298 yards and a pair of touchdowns last season for the Golden Flashes.

Jameson Konz FB/TE/WR From Kent State:

Stats don't tell you everything, if they did this guy would be a monster, he was an OLB ( not very good ) and last year was his first on offense ( red shirt senior due to injury )

From Kent State Web Site:

The 6-3, 234-pound Konz had 21 catches for 298 yards and a pair of touchdowns last season for the Golden Flashes

From CBS Sports:

PRO DAY RESULTS: The Cleveland Browns could have an advantage on draft day, as they were the only NFL club that sent scouts to observe tight end Jameson Konz at Kent State's pro day on March 11. Konz, who did not participate in the NFL Scouting Combine, outjumped the best tight end in the field by three inches (10-feet, 8-inches) in the broad jump and leaped 2.5 inches higher than anyone at the combine in the vertical jump (46 inches) as well. In addition to the broad and vertical jumps, Konz (6-3 1/2, 234) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46, and 4.41-seconds, had a 4.25 short shuttle, and a 6.93 three-cone drill. All of those results would have made him a top performer among tight ends at the combine. Eight other NFL hopefuls from Kent State worked out indoors on Tartan Turf, along with seven players from smaller area schools. Speedy wide receiver Derek McBryde showed some potential. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

LOL, sry guys, I quess the paste function does work, I'll slap myself for that one

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

In Response to 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    I like the RB, Ryan Mathews(Fresno State), but can he be had at #44?
    at #53 you got Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State. another CB? one would think that there's enough CB's on patriots roster, young guys, not take another one that high?  where's the speedy pass rusher? where's DE or OLB? Patriots are hurting big time!
    One special NEED the Patriots is a must: QUARTERBACK. the time is right and the time is now for the future quarterback of the Patriots. with Brady and one year left on his existing contract at 33 yrs old, Belichick needs new blood at the position. Brady was great and still great, but Belichick has to think about what's best for the team.

You'll notice that I don't have a receiver in my mock, as much as I love Golden Tate (ND), I think he may find his way into round 1 and I don't think BB would take him that high, though anything is possible.  He reminds me of Deion Branch in regards to size, speed and athleticism who knows how to get open and is a big play waiting to happen.  He also has a good understanding of the Charlie Weis offense and can provide additional value as a punt return man. With that being said, I believe they'll fill the 3rd receiver need through free agency and see how Brandon Tate develops. Below is my projection: 1st rd #22 (assigned)   Brandon Spikes           ILB      Florida             6-3 257             He’s a tough, aggressive and instinctive player with good size/speed (6-3 250 4.7) and decent coverage/ball skills (6 career INT’s returning 4 for TD) who appears to be a possible 3 down backer at the next level. He’s was the emotional defensive leader for Gators and the Patriots are in need of some defensive leadership.   The Urban Meyer connection also comes into play and BB loves SEC players.   He'd look great playing next to Mayo.   2nd rd #44 (from Titans)         Ryan Mathews             RB        Fresno State    5-11 220           Good size and speed, he can hammer the ball between the tackles or take it the distance.   He finished second in the nation with 1,808 yards to go along with 19 TD's while acting as one of the more consistent performers in the country (his only sub-100 game was one in which he got injured and only had 8 carries) and there is the Pat Hill connection to consider.   If Jonathan Dwyer slips to the bottom of the 1st or top of the second, he could be an option.     2nd rd   #47 (from Jags)          Kyle Calloway OT        Iowa     6-7 315             Matt Light's contract expires following the 2010 season.    Sunday's game against Baltimore proved yet again that his time has passed as they need to get younger and more athletic along the OL.   Vollmer should be moved over to LT and I think they should draft another quality OT to eventually fill the RT position.   Kyle Calloway is a big, tough and athletic tackle that could fill the need.   He's a durable player who's effective blocking or the run and pass and has no problem getting to the second level to take on LB's.   There's also the Kirk Ferentz connection to keep in mind.   Mike Johnson (OG/OT, 6-5 305 Alabama) is another option.   2nd rd #53 (assigned) Kyle Wilson      CB        Boise State       5-10 190           With the futures of Leigh Bodden (potential free agent), Jonathan Wilhite (does his best to ensure other teams complete as many passes as possible) and Terrence Wheatley (not yet able to get consistent burn) the team could use an influx of youth and talent at the CB position.  Wilson is a guy who shows excellent instincts and ball skills (11 career INT's, 2 TD's) with the speed, quickness and COD skills necessary to be left on an island in man or work his area in zone coverage.  He also shows some special teams potential with an 8.8 average on 90 career punt returns with 3 TD's and you know how Belichick loves players with versatility.   4th rd (assigned)          Jermaine Cunningham          OLB     Florida             6-3 252             Good athleticism, show's good speed and first step off the snap. He was a DE in Florida's scheme, but projects to more of a 3-4 OLB at the NFL level and has experience dropping into zone coverage, he's also been effective rushing the passer with 18 career sacks.   He's a tough player that has played through injury who plays to the whistle and was a two year captain for Florida.   He also has experience playing special teams which should be appealing to BB and again, the Urban Meyer connection comes into play.   6th rd (assigned)          Jimmy Graham           TE        Miami 6-8 260                         Former UM basketball player who joined the football team for the 2009 season.   He's extremely raw, but has excellent athleticism.   He had 14 Rec for 185 yrdas and 5 TD's on the year.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I like the RB, Ryan Mathews(Fresno State), but can he be had at #44? at #53 you got Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State. another CB? one would think that there's enough CB's on patriots roster, young guys, not take another one that high?  where's the speedy pass rusher? where's DE or OLB? Patriots are hurting big time! One special NEED the Patriots is a must: QUARTERBACK. the time is right and the time is now for the future quarterback of the Patriots. with Brady and one year left on his existing contract at 33 yrs old, Belichick needs new blood at the position. Brady was great and still great, but Belichick has to think about what's best for the team.
    Posted by longhairjoe
    longhairjoe I don't want to burst your bubble but I doubt that either of those 2 guys will be available in round #2. I'll also say this there are 4 DB's as good as Wilson. Kareem Jackson from Alabama,Joe Haden from UF, Devin McCourty from Rutgers and Patrick Robinson from FSU of course in the case of Robinson he's dropped almost off the charts despite his performance at the combine... As for Matthews if he was available at #44 BB would jump all over him.. The team to watch where Matthews is concerned is San Diego.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I like the RB, Ryan Mathews(Fresno State), but can he be had at #44? at #53 you got Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State. another CB? one would think that there's enough CB's on patriots roster, young guys, not take another one that high?  where's the speedy pass rusher? where's DE or OLB? Patriots are hurting big time! One special NEED the Patriots is a must: QUARTERBACK. the time is right and the time is now for the future quarterback of the Patriots. with Brady and one year left on his existing contract at 33 yrs old, Belichick needs new blood at the position. Brady was great and still great, but Belichick has to think about what's best for the team.
    Posted by longhairjoe

long,
    That mock was done exactly 2 months ago today, I've had mutliple revisions in this thread since (and will be posting another now that Crumpler is on board) while monitoring the rising/falling stock of players based on Senior Bowl/Combine/Pro-day performance etc.

To answer your questions, no I don't think Mathews is there at 44, they'd probably need to grab him at 22 and I doubt he gets past SD at 28.

Wilson may be the best player available at 22, so while I no longer think they'll go CB high, he's in the discussion based on that.

I don't think they reach for an edge rusher, they have a size premium and I believe they stick to it. Sapp and Kindle have been thrown out there, but I thenk they pass on both, I see them addressing this need in the middle to late rounds.

As for QB, I've argued the Tebow to NE for months, which is probably the biggest love/hate convo for a player that I've been involved in.  Personally, I think he's the guy they like at QB based on availability and round.  They've also shown a history of hitting on kids in the late rounds Brady/Cassel etc., so they may again wait until the late rounds if they are high on someone in the first couple rounds.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

low-fb-iq,

If i am reading you correctly, are you saying the biggest position of need in this draft is DE as compared to OLB, WR, OL, TE, RB?

If I look at depth at these positions in this draft, compared our need relative to depth at each position, I think DE and OLB are the 2 positions that seem to be less deep for 3-4 defenses. I think a quality TE can be had in rounds 3 or 4, same with running back, and I would then use my 2nd round picks on WR (studs available in round 2, and OL).

We've been comparing notes on DE's to play in our style...I lot of us are in agreement, that at 22, there is possibly no DE worthy of taking at this spot. OLB not so much unless you consider a Sapp, Kindle, Hughes or Graham as potential OLBs. I too agree. I don't think Odrick is worthy at 22, but I think a good DE in the mold of Seymour might be had at 22, or possibly just a few spots up if we deem him worthy of moving up....Carlos Dunlap anyone?....I like his combination of size, speed and strength, and he has the physical tools to play 3-4 DE. 

I've seen him anywhere from #8-#32 in round 1 on various mocks. 
    2 questions....
    1. Do you think Dunlap would fit the Pats 3-4 DE mold and be productive in our defense?
    2. Where is Dunlap slatted to go?...can he drop to 22, or do we need to make a move slightly up if you guys deem him worthy?

Assuming Dunlap can be had at 22 and would not require a move up and getting rid of our #2's....I woudl then draft accordingly...
    1 - Dunlap
    2a - DThomas/DWilliams
    2b - Saffold
    2c - Misi

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated mock:  I'll update again once the compensatory picks are awarded.

22- WR Golden Tate 5-10 199 ND- He’ll be the new #2 and future #1.

45- TE Aaron Hernandez 6-2 245 Florida-  He’s a versatile offensive weapon with superior speed and quickness for the position and presents Dallas Clark like talent/skill.

48- RB Toby Gerhart 6-0 231 Stanford- The new clock killer and future fan favorite.

53- DE Alex Carrington 6-5 285 Arkansas State- Has the height and length that BB loves in his DE’s with the frame to add more.  He’s very athletic with the ability to rush passer and be stout at the POA vs. the run. 

117- S Myron Rolle 6-2 215 Florida State- Way off the radar pick here but BB loves intelligent players, why not go after the most intelligent player in recent memory.  He can play too and will replace McGowan.

181- OLB Daniel Te’o-Nesheim 6-3 263 Washington- Ultra productive edge player that can get after the QB and make plays behind the LOS.  Another high effort type that will convert from DE

214- 
    OLB George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers- Vocal leader, great motor and work ethic and has the ability to get after the QB, will convert from DE.

216- QB Sean Canfield 6-4 224 Oregon State- Good size, very accurate, developing as a passer and was productive as a senior.  He could be the developmental type QB that they like to target in the late rounds.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Faucet I do and I am pretty sure I have said as much in another post that I do follow the logic of Gresham actually making it to us at #44 IF no one considers it too much vale to pass up by them. Need aside that is. There is logic behind it based on need and I follow you. There is a point for every team however that a player becomes too much value regardless of need for a position. They will just trade the the pick to a team that needs the player or trade an existing player at the same position and keep the new found value in the player at that spot. Yes I agree I think the patriots would be all over him if he slid to them at #44. I also have never suggested they reach for a player. I also wrote a post on here explaining that I like that the Patriots by and large follow their own grading system and do not subscribe to that universal scouting grading system that 90% of the teams belong too. We don't know what the grades are on various players in the Patriots eyes. They took Vollmer in the 2nd. He wasn't even invited to the combine and most of the draft-niks had him as a late rounder. They have their own minds and I love that about them mistakes and all. Many have Odrick somewhere between mid 20's to early 30's. The Patriots could have him in the teens? OR they could have him in the 40's for all I know. The same for someone like Carrington. He's by most accounts in the early 3rd round I think. But maybe the Patriots think he's a 1st round talent. Who knows. The one thing I do believe is that if they like a guy at DE either at 22 OR somewhere in the early 2nd but they feel they need to take him 4 or 5 picks earlier because someone will take him after them before they pick again AND they feel there is a substantial drop off after that player then they will not consider it a reach and take the player. See you ask me who I would take hughes or alualu. That skips my point as I would not take a RB at #22. I look at it this way. Hole at DE is NOW this season right now. They have it in the present. Hole at RB is future, next season. Should they start working towards that yes.  ...but now? before addressing the priority of what is right upon them? I do not see the logistics in it is all. In short I value the DE spot more than the RB and the DE spot is vacant right now and the RB spot is not. For my own personal opinion I think it would be backwards logistically to address them in reverse order. Now for the sake of you not saying I did not answer your question I would not take hughes that high because I am unsure if he can be more than a pass rush specialist and thats really high for only a 3rd down pass rush specialist. He was playing DE in the 4-3 in the bowl game against Boise state and was not doing anything special. Especially against the run. Are you telling me Boise States Right Tackle is all world? Hughes has a really impressive first step and his rushing ability is impressive I agree with you. I have a hard time swallowing drafting a guy that high if he is not going to be a 3 down player. Hey might prove to be awesome but I have some doubts so I would go  with the player I felt more comfortable with.  See I was thinking next year is the year they will address the Tackle and RB spot because next year you have two first rounders. Light's contract is up. Maroney and Fred Taylors contracts up. Etc.  Address the needs as you have them and take care of the ones in your face now. That's just how I am though. That's how I am in my personal work also. I fix the immediate problem now and get the one I know is coming afterwards but hey thats just my own funny logic.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Agreed that the Pats march to the beat of their own drum.  They will make at least one pick that will have us scratching our heads. 

I agree partially that they don't have a need at RB.  Yes, they have 5 guys under contract.  All 5 RBs contracts expire after 2010.  If I have to project I'd say Taylor and Morris won't be back in 2011.  I'd say Faulk would be 50/50 to retire.  I'd say BJGE would be back if he will play for about the same money ~$500K.  I'd say unless Maroney rushes for 1,000 yards with a 4.2 average or better this his days should be over.  He's basically making $1 MM this year and will want his pay day.  The problem is he hasn't earned it.  So I think the odds are greater that this is Maroney's final year than it is that he's extended.  So, you have BJGE and a would be 35 year old Faulk potentially back in 2011.  Do you really want to enter the season like that?  Or, would you want to draft a future star RB to come in have a year to learn the system and be mentored now?  If we draft a bigger back, Gerhart, Hardesty, Tate, Dwyer, Blount, etc we could cut Taylor and even Morris freeing up $3MM and a roster spot. 

It isn't about valuing DE over RB.  I value them about the same.  You need a solid running game to protect your QB and to keep the defense honest.  A solid running game protects 4th quarter leads.  In the old days we'd give the ball to Dillon or Smith late in the game and it was game over.  How many of those 4th quarter leads did we blow last year?  A solid running game when you play outside in Dec/Jan is critical when its snowing, raining or windy and you can't throw the ball.  Last year when we tried to run the ball in the 4th it was 3 and out.

I'd be okay with Odrick at 22.  I'd love Williams at 22.  But for true 34 DEs, they are the only ones worthy of the pick who I think are ready to contribute right away.  Guys like Griffen, Graham, and Dunlap are 43 DEs or 34 OLBs if you're lucky.  They don't replace Seymour.  I said this before, Alualu and Houston could be decent additions at 48 or 53, but would either get on the field ahead of Mike Wright or Pryor?  Later on you have guys like Joseph, Woods, Jones, and Peters who could be had in the 6-7th and could be just as good as Alualu or Houston.  Again, none of them I would expect to beat out Wright.  Odrick maybe beats out Wright - maybe; Williams yes, but nobody else.  Geathers is the only player I see other than Suh, McCoy and Williams that could develop into a dominating physical beast some day but he's a 2-4 year project.  So, do I spend a 1st or premium 2nd on a back up DT?  NO!!!  I add a player in rounds 4-7 that has a chance to develop, to add depth and to learn and wait until 2011 when I'm sitting pretty with hopefully a top 10 pick. 

If I can take a pass rushing DE who looks like may be convertible to OLB, I may take one but it's a short list, Graham or Kindle at 22, Hughes or Misi in the 2nd, maybe Sapp at 53.  Otherwise I'm waiting.  I have Crable who fits my size requirements already on the roster who I moved up to get in the 3rd round.  I've had success bringing guys in via F/A in Vrabel, Colvin, TBC and to a lesser extent Thomas and Burgess.  I've never drafted a conversion type player higher than the 7th and I'm not going to start now - that could be what BB is thinking.

We are in a position to add some lethal offensive weapons at RB, WR and TE.  I think we should get one of each in our top 5 picks.  When you have a superstar QB, let him win games for you while you can. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Scouts certainly throw out some interesting things when they tweet. chrissteuber      "As much as I like Florida CB Joe Haden, the more I watch  #Rutgers  CB Devin McCourty (@ dmac_21 ), who is one of my favs, he may be the top CB."
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

McCourty is no secret to me.  He's my #3 CB and I had him coming off the board at 30 in my last mock.  He does it all and is very dynamic on special teams.  He is a BB type player.  On paper we are set at CB but not in the return game and McCourty could fill that need nicely.  Problem is where do you take him if your the Pats?  Do you reach at #22?  He won't be there at #44.  We just signed Bodden to be our #1 CB and have two recent 2nds and a 4th round pick fighting for the other spot.  I just see bigger needs.  If he somehow manages to slip to #44 it would create a dilema depending on who else is there.  If Gresham is there I go with the need.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Gentlemen I absolutely agree with you both (Faucet and mthurl) in that there isn't a seymour at #22.  Seymour is considered by many to be the best #5 pick in the history of the NFL. So I really was not meaning we need another seymour @ #22. Hey I certainly could be completely wrong here but I just meant for me imo I think they should look for the best one(DE) they can find with either 44 or 48 if they keep those picks. I just like my law of averages more picking one in the early 2nd rather than late 4th or even later. Maybe they take a guy like Faucets boy in the 6th (Gaithers) and he turns out to be a home run stud at DE or the kid from LSU Woods. I simply like their chances of finding a three down starter at DE earlier rather than later and I think the position is very important.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Good stuff, you make some good points regarding the draft. I too feel we need a 34 defensive end and value those guys more than the average skill position player. I still remember watching Seymore in his first training camp drive left tackles into the dirt as the rest of the d-line looked on in surprise. Anthony Pleasant took him under his wing, but even he looked like he had never seen someone do the things he was doing.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

week 9 beat Indy by only 4 points in a very tough close game.  ROAD GAME. Addai ran for 112 yards and caught 5 passes for 114 yards.  We never blow out INDY in INDY.

week 10 Bye

week 11 Blow out pathetic Buffalo (buffalo lost 6 of its final 8 and the two wins against helpless 1-15 Miami) AGREED.

week 12 barely beat Philly by 3 points HOME GAME but weird game plan.  Eagles converted on side kick in the 2nd quarter pulling out all stops.  Brady had just 1 TD pass marking the first time he didn't have at least 3.  The Pats run the ball just once the whole first half throwing the ball a season high 54 times.  Gregg Lewis caught 2 TDs for the Eagles, his first scores of the season.  Samuel had 2 picks including a pick 6.

week 13 barely beat Baltimore by 3 point Game was in BAL.  ROAD GAME. It wasn't so much teams catching on as it was everyone wanting to knock an undefeated team off.  Baltimore had a tough defense, 6th ranked and Ray Lewis inspired his team to near victory.  McGahee tourched us for 138 yards.

week 14 solid win over Pitt by 21 points (Steelers were ok that year 10-6 and in battle with cleveland for division. No Palomalu and I think it was the game some no name DB was filling in for one of their starting DB's not palomalu and had mouthed off in thee week leading up to the game and Brady torched him all day) HOME GAME.  Steelers had the #1 ranked defense and we shreaded them.

week 15 beat the lowly jets by 10 points HOME GAME Maroney ran for 104 yards and Brady threw for 140 yards being outdone by Pennington's 187 yard performance.

week 16 beat 1-15 miami by 21 points  HOME GAME.  Maroney had the game of his life rushing for 156 yards.  Brady was 18-33, 215 yards.

week 17 beat giants by 3 points ROAD GAME, Cold windy day.  Giants had the 7th ranked defense.  Although the Giants had nothing to gain by not resting their starters they played their hearts off in an effort to prevent the perfect regular season.  Both Neal and Kaczur were out.

If you look at the season objectively the games got tougher and tighter as the teams got a book on the new offense and its weapons. Especially playing anyone decent and not total scrubs. We certainly did not just blow right through any opponent week after week.  It was also getting

Move to the post season.

Jaguars game. They bafflingly decide to lay back and bring no pressure the whole game and Brady picked them apart. Pats win by 11 but again not a blow out.

Chargers. Pats could have lost that game easily if it weren't for Maroney. He was unstoppable and covered for Brady's many INT's and poor day. Pats win by 9 and only score 21 points.

Giants and super bowl we all know what happened the offense that really wasn't blowing anyone out for most of the 2nd half of the season and who barely beat the chargers put up a pathetic 14 points in the super bowl.

That was the 2nd fewest points scored in a super bowl by an offense since 1994.

In 2007 the defense was ranked 4th in the NFL in total defense.

We love to debate huh?

In 2007 we were a one dimensional offense, ranked #1 in passing and overall.  We were 12th in rushing and it was a case of our passing game setting up our running game.  Stephen Neal gets hurt and leaves the Super Bowl in the 2nd quarter.  That's when the bull rushing caught fire and the whole line collapsed.  I was at that game.  It was an epic battle of defenses.  If it wasn't for a miracle catch we would have won that game 14-10.  The Giants caught fire at the end of 2007 where the stress off trying to go PERFECT proved too much for us.

In 2007 we rushed for an average 4.1 yards a carry while our "pathetic" opponents rushed for 4.4 yards per carry.  Our opponents had fewer attempts because they were always behind.  Our powerful offense most often took an early lead forcing our opponents into one dimensional teams.  Maroney ran for 835 yards that season, Morris 384, Faulk 265, Evans 121 and Brady 98.

I don't know what we are trying to prove with all this.  I guess what I'm saying is we have a young defense that is loaded with high draft picks.  They will get better.  We have only 2 glaring holes, RDE and ROLB (assuming Thomas is moved).  We could improve at one of the MLB positions by bringing in a thumper.  But other than that our defense needs to gell.

On offense we are aging fast.  We have 3 RBs over 33 which is ancient for RBs.  We have 1 TE in Crumpler who turns 33 this season.  Our best WR (Welker) is on the shelf for most if not all of the upcoming season and our other best WR (Moss) is entering the final year of his contract and it is obviously bothering him.  How effective will Moss be?  Even if he stays he's already 33.  We brought back David Patten who turns 36 before the season!!!  We have 2 dinosaurs, a 7th round pick and a guy coming back from an ACL who hasn't really played in the NFL.

We can agree to disagree but I think adding a TE, a RB and a WR are absolutely necessary and the players are there where we are drafting.  With the other premium pick I'd go for a rush OLB.  While I'd like to address some weaknesses and age on the OL, BB usually does that later in the draft and our current line is good enough for 2010.