2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Crumpler's 12.8 career avg/rec is impressive. Pats HOFer Ben Coates, who's deserving of PFHOF consideration, had 11.2 avg in 9 yr career. Also Dexter McCluster improved his 40 time at his pro day, running 4.44 and 4.45.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Nice.  I love this kid and would love to see him in a Pat's uniform.  With Welker on the shelf he give us depth in the slot, is great on Special Teams and gadget plays.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

If Gronkowski has a medical condition that cannot be healed (shrinking spine), I would not go near him with a 10 foot pole. Much rather look at Pitta, Hernandez or Graham. 

As for Burney...I think he would be a great 6th or 7th round selection if he doesn't go sooner. I think he certainly has the size, speed, athleticism to be a decent corner in this league....hopefully he's better than the other recent Colorado product we drafted at the position. 

Is it me, or do you think the Pats are going to engineer a trade or two before or shortly thereafter the draft?....I heard Kraft say something this week (looking for quote) that indicated that they were restocking at the WR position and it seemed when he made the comment, that he knew exactly what he was talking about...meaning, he and BB and perhaps another team or two are already talking?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I saw that piece too and would be elated if BB took him.  However, we have to look at history and BB has NEVER drafted a WR high.  The most often position taken in the first round this decade and not one pick at WR for the Pats.  They have only drafted 7 WRs in 10 years under BB, three 2nds a 3rd and the rest late round picks.  I have to think Graham (if he's there) followed by Kindle and Odrick.  On a separate note, Gresham appears headed to CIN at 21.  If Gronkowski checks out medically, he could be nice in the 2nd because he is actually a better blocker and more complete TE than Gresham.  However, there are reports out recently that suggests he has a condition (forget the name) that is a narrowing of the spinal cord.  Couple that with a back injury (not sure if they are related) and you have to be very careful.  Of the other TEs available, I'm not sure that any should have 2nd round grades as complete TEs.  I know there are some good receiving TEs but the Pats have been burned on them throughout the decade.  This makes me think we may move down and take a flyer on a kid like Jimmy Graham who BB mentioned is more athletic than other basketball conversion types he's seen.  I'd love Graham if we can get back or up in the 3rd and then take another with a late round pick. WR depth is endless in this draft.  If not Thomas or G. Tate, I'd hold off until at least the 4th.  Damian Williams is an option in the second but USC has had some busts at the skill positions lately. I really think the Pats with their long term vision look to bolster the front 7 on defense, add a solid OL type given the pending losses of Neal, Light and perhaps Mankins then either trade one of those 2nds into 2011 for a first or perhaps take one skill guy to provide instant offense for Brady.  I think McCluster would be considered because he does everything and BB loved Meggett.  So if we stay where we are and use all 4 premium picks I could see, #22 Odrick #44 Sapp #48 Saffold #53 McCluster Perhaps package our 4th and 6th and 7th to move up a few spots to land Roberts who I agree BB should love.  This is not a sexy draft certainly but is more in character with BB than taking a bunch of skill guys.
    Posted by Faucetman

Well with those numbers and I not thinking BB changes how he drafts by position I must change my mock even though I would like to see Thomas on the team but I think I found a replacement who might not get the media attention but good intriguing late round prospect which I'll add to this mock.  I also keep coming back to Graham and just can't get away from picturing been the weakside LB in 2010.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALAN2012. Show ALAN2012's posts

Hey guys I have been reading all the forums for quite some time, but haven't responded, but I wanted to put my two cents in; First of all I wanted to say mbeaulieu07, I am seriously impressed with your array of knowledge on the draft. I come on here daily just to check what you've written.

Anyways, I have been doing quite a bit of research and as much as i'd love to see Kindle or Graham at the 22nd spot, I just can't see Belichick going there.  First of all, when we were winning super bowls the team was built in the trenches.  We consistently took D Lineman even it wasn't a need, and I have to believe that building through the trenches is going to be priority number one in this draft.  Also, it's incredibly difficult to peg whether or not those tweener D end/linebackers will pan out transitioning in the league (Graham, Kindle).  With that said I have to believe that the best D Tackle (Seymour replacement) will come off the board at 22. Not sexy, but it would help alleviate the double teams that Wilfork and Warren will see. Maybe Odrick?

As for the puss rush, I definitely think that Sapp will be a Patriot by the time the second round is complete.  I can't say I know what they will do with the other picks, but i'd like to see a WR taken somewhere.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they take Demaryius Thomas at 22 (Serious upside and would be a steal down the road).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

A question for ya.

If Mathews is there at 22 I thought the Pats would pick him up in a heart beat.  But being in position in the 2nd round to pick up a RB got me to thinking if San Diego would make a trade up with us getting in front of Philly who also is in need of a RB.  Obviously the first rounders would swap but what other round would we get in return?  3rd or a 4th...5th?  I wonder if it would be worth it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I might be in the minority on this one, but I'm not taking a RB in round 1...not this year. I got 2 first rounders next I could use one of those on, perhaps draft an ingram or someone of that caliber..and use one of my 2010 2's or possibly my 4th on someone to replace Faulk's production .... Next year I would draft my workhorse, the guy maroney was supposed to be. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

DT @ 22
    OLB next
    WR next
    OL next

trade AD + pick for Raider ILB(for some reason can't think of his name)

Alternatively also trade for Olson, do not add WR in first 4 picks, and go with mostly 1 rb, 2 te, 2 wr sets and pair crumpler and olsen on the ends, with moss and edelman.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Well with those numbers and I not thinking BB changes how he drafts by position I must change my mock even though I would like to see Thomas on the team but I think I found a replacement who might not get the media attention but good intriguing late round prospect which I'll add to this mock.  I also keep coming back to Graham and just can't get away from picturing been the weakside LB in 2010.
    Posted by Pats7393

Of all the defensive players we've been talking about I like Graham the best by far.  He has a great motor, makes big plays and I think would be an immediate impact on our team.  I still love Thomas and dream of getting him but don't think BB would pull the trigger.

There are a lot of big WR types to be had later on.  Check out Joe Webb.  Put him on the PS for a year and let him learn from Moss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I might be in the minority on this one, but I'm not taking a RB in round 1...not this year. I got 2 first rounders next I could use one of those on, perhaps draft an ingram or someone of that caliber..and use one of my 2010 2's or possibly my 4th on someone to replace Faulk's production .... Next year I would draft my workhorse, the guy maroney was supposed to be. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Not in the least.  From the talk I've seen and my personal opinion is the Pats wait until the 2nd round.  I'm also with you on selecting a RB the next draft.  If these two guys hit Maroney might be taking over Faulks place which ain't a bad gig.  If you remember it took Faulk a while to get it.  Or Maroney hits the road.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If Gronkowski has a medical condition that cannot be healed (shrinking spine), I would not go near him with a 10 foot pole. Much rather look at Pitta, Hernandez or Graham.  As for Burney...I think he would be a great 6th or 7th round selection if he doesn't go sooner. I think he certainly has the size, speed, athleticism to be a decent corner in this league....hopefully he's better than the other recent Colorado product we drafted at the position.  Is it me, or do you think the Pats are going to engineer a trade or two before or shortly thereafter the draft?....I heard Kraft say something this week (looking for quote) that indicated that they were restocking at the WR position and it seemed when he made the comment, that he knew exactly what he was talking about...meaning, he and BB and perhaps another team or two are already talking?
    Posted by PatsLifer

BB has shown a tendency to trade for or acquire WR and RB instead of using high draft picks.  It did seem like they are up to something. In the same piece BB hinted that Thomas isn't part of our future plans.  What team has too many WRs but needs an OLB?  I would have said ARI earlier.  Keep Light in mind too.  Huge contract, final year, looks to be replaceable with Vollmer.  If Moss's attitude doesn't improve, could he be dealt?  BB cannot be happy with the comments and TB looked upset with Moss on several occassions.  It would take some big shoes to fill but if Moss is harming the locker room, don't discount the idea too quickly. 

Chicago is thin at WR, doesn't seem to have a care in the  world about spending money in an uncapped year and is sitting on a TE that is unhappy.  Moss for Olsen straight up perhaps?

We could then go back and draft DeMaryius Thomas.  Could work out pretty sweet, free up a ton of salary to get Brady, Mankins and Gost extended, get younger, etc.  I'm starting the rumor right here and now. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey guys I have been reading all the forums for quite some time, but haven't responded, but I wanted to put my two cents in; First of all I wanted to say mbeaulieu07 , I am seriously impressed with your array of knowledge on the draft. I come on here daily just to check what you've written. Anyways, I have been doing quite a bit of research and as much as i'd love to see Kindle or Graham at the 22nd spot, I just can't see Belichick going there.  First of all, when we were winning super bowls the team was built in the trenches.  We consistently took D Lineman even it wasn't a need, and I have to believe that building through the trenches is going to be priority number one in this draft.  Also, it's incredibly difficult to peg whether or not those tweener D end/linebackers will pan out transitioning in the league (Graham, Kindle).  With that said I have to believe that the best D Tackle (Seymour replacement) will come off the board at 22. Not sexy, but it would help alleviate the double teams that Wilfork and Warren will see. Maybe Odrick? As for the puss rush, I definitely think that Sapp will be a Patriot by the time the second round is complete.  I can't say I know what they will do with the other picks, but i'd like to see a WR taken somewhere.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they take Demaryius Thomas at 22 (Serious upside and would be a steal down the road).
    Posted by ALAN2012

ALAN,
    Thanks!  This has been a great thread as there are a ton of educated draft/football fans that bring excellent insight an opinions.

I think your opinion on OLB vs DE is shared by a lot of the posters on this thread.  My personal feeling is, I like Graham as a player and what he could bring to this team off the edge and vs. the run, but BB has shown no willingness to take a shorter edge OLB/DE hybrid high in the draft.  I think Odrick is certainly in the discussion as his height and length are ideal for a BB 3-4 DE, and he appears to have some scheme versatility with the ability to potentially play 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE.  In the end, I think he could very well be the guy, though there are still questions on his ability as a true 5-tech.  If it's determinded that he's a great fit at the position, it'll be tough to pass on him based on the value they place on the DL and their history in the draft.

Personally I don't like Sapp, he just wreaks of bust to me, but he makes sense from a size/speed perspective.  I see them addressing the OLB position in the mid-late rounds, with a guy like Lindsey Witten, Austen Lane, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim etc., just my opinion.

Thomas has been shooting up draft boards, though it's a little suprising as he hasn't hasn't done anything since the season ended to warrant this type of movement.  Maybe scouts have had more time to breakdown his film and are catching things they didn't see previously or maybe his size, speed and upside are too much to pass up.  All I know is he has some big questions about his game, route running and the offense he played in at GT, but the talent and measurables certainly seem to be there.  I prefer Golden Tate at this point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I had a thought on the WR that might have been referenced.  Last season Dwyane Bowe was being tossed around as a trade to the Raven for a 2nd and 5th.  If they dropped it to a 2nd, he could be our young guy:

Dwayne Bowe | #82 | WR

Kansas City Chiefs | Official Team Site

Height: 6-2   Weight: 221   Age: 25

Born: 9/21/1984 Miami , FL

College: Louisiana State

Experience: 4th season

High School: Miami Norland HS [FL]

team rosters quick stats (2009)
    Select a Team Arizona Cardinals Atlanta Falcons Baltimore Ravens Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears Cincinnati Bengals Cleveland Browns Dallas Cowboys Denver Broncos Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers Houston Texans Indianapolis Colts Jacksonville Jaguars Kansas City Chiefs Miami Dolphins Minnesota Vikings New England Patriots New Orleans Saints New York Giants New York Jets Oakland Raiders Philadelphia Eagles Pittsburgh Steelers San Diego Chargers San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks St. Louis Rams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tennessee Titans Washington Redskins
    REC
    YDS
    AVG
    TDS
      Recent Games more
      WKOPPRESULTReceivingRushingFumbles
      RecYdsAvgLngTDAttYdsAvgLngTDFUMLost
      15 CLE L  34-41 45614.0230--------------
      16 @ CIN L  10-17 9616.8100--------------
      17 @ DEN W  44-24 166.060--------------

Career Stats more
      SeasonTeam ReceivingRushingFumbles
      GGSRecYdsAvgLngTDAttYdsAvgLngTDFUMLost
      2009 Kansas City Chiefs 11 9 4758912.5414----------10
      2008 Kansas City Chiefs 16 16 861,02211.9367--------------
      2007 Kansas City Chiefs 16 15 7099514.2585--------------
      TOTAL2032,60612.85816000.00010

• You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I look at Thomas as a huge gamble.  You have to make reads and run proper routes in the NFL.  Thomas didn't do any of this at Georgia Tech.  He's a project that may be a bust.  I'm surprised by his rise as well. 

The thing that's got him moving is what folks have seen on film.  He pulls away from defenders.  The guy is fast and has good size as well.  Sounds like an Oakland draft to me!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

You raise some interesting points and some great rumors...I'll keep fanning the flame especially on the rumor side.

I think a straight up trade, Moss for Olson is OK, but I think Chicago wins that one. If Welker was healthy, and we had a true #3, then I would feel better about that trade, but given we don't, I think we need to hang on to Moss for another year.
      Chicago also needs OL help. This is where Light for Olson might make sense. I like that trade personally a lot better. 

I'm trying to think of a team in the league that would value AD...The one thing that is interesting is if there is a needy OLB team, shipping AD off before the draft possibly takes that team out of contention for draft picks at that position. Any ideas?

If Bowe was in play, I wouldn't hesitate to give up a 2nd for him. He is the same build as DThomas, and he is also proven. If he can put up 1,000 yard seasons in the KC offense, imagine how we could use him. He instantly is the #2, and the #1 after Moss leaves. I would make the deal with KC if he is still in play. 

KC has been linked to GTate in the draft and they have old, but steady Chris Chambers. So, if they traded Bowe, they would probably need to draft 2 WR's in this years draft to fill out their roster. 

Anyone have anything on Bowe?...status?...faucet, any rumors to share?..LOL

I'm not sure if this was addressed yet via various posts, but the draft this year is 3 days instead of 2, with round 1 day 1, day 2 kicking off with round 2...This obviously has to factor into draft strategy especially for the Pats since they have 3 2nd rounders...Teams will be able to stop and pause after day 1 to revise their strategy for day 2 based on round 1 selections. This could put the Pats in a position of strength, or change their thoughts on round 2 selections all together.

I have to think going into the draft that they have the whole thing laid out pretty well, but giving BB an extra day inbetween rounds to stew, is a good thing for us.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

faucet, You raise some interesting points and some great rumors...I'll keep fanning the flame especially on the rumor side. I think a straight up trade, Moss for Olson is OK, but I think Chicago wins that one. If Welker was healthy, and we had a true #3, then I would feel better about that trade, but given we don't, I think we need to hang on to Moss for another year. Chicago also needs OL help. This is where Light for Olson might make sense. I like that trade personally a lot better.  I'm trying to think of a team in the league that would value AD...The one thing that is interesting is if there is a needy OLB team, shipping AD off before the draft possibly takes that team out of contention for draft picks at that position. Any ideas?
      Posted by PatsLifer

Light for olsen, Thomas for Oakland ILB.  2nd round pick for  Bowe.  Now draft DE, OLB, OT with your 3 top picks, sign reed, and run alot of 2 WR, 2 TE sets with crumpler, olsen, LM, Moss, Edelman/reed.  2 new LB's and a new DE and you have fixed the D, patched the O, and allowed next years draft t o focus on the Offensive skill positions that are so expensive in the current system, but likely not so much in the future one.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, You raise some interesting points and some great rumors...I'll keep fanning the flame especially on the rumor side. I think a straight up trade, Moss for Olson is OK, but I think Chicago wins that one. If Welker was healthy, and we had a true #3, then I would feel better about that trade, but given we don't, I think we need to hang on to Moss for another year. Chicago also needs OL help. This is where Light for Olson might make sense. I like that trade personally a lot better.  I'm trying to think of a team in the league that would value AD...The one thing that is interesting is if there is a needy OLB team, shipping AD off before the draft possibly takes that team out of contention for draft picks at that position. Any ideas?
      Posted by PatsLifer

Good points.  I'd hate to give up Moss too but seeing that we did the exact same thing with Seymour knowing we couldn't sign him we decided to lose his services for a year and get something back for him.  Moss at 33 for Olsen at what, 26?  Seems to make sense but we'd have to have another WR in mind to pull the trigger on.  Obviously I'd rather do the same deal with Light instead but I don't think Light would bring that much value in return.  Maybe Light and Thomas for Olsen.

It's all just a fun pipe dream and not sure I'd even want the deal.  Brady without Moss and Welker reminds too much of 2006.

true on the Sey point. I do like Light & AD for Olson and a 5/6th?....would you make the deal?

I'm keeping Moss this year however. I don't care if I lose him next, as I think if we really wanted him we could strike a deal or possibly franchise him, or franchise him and trade him...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I wouldnt trade Olsen for Light and AD much less throw in a 5th/6th.  A guy past his prime and a disgruntled guy that may be cut, not a chance, u have rose colored glasses on. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Crumpler...

By The Numbers

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I wouldnt trade Olsen for Light and AD much less throw in a 5th/6th.  A guy past his prime and a disgruntled guy that may be cut, not a chance, u have rose colored glasses on. 
      Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Moss and Dillon were disgruntled when we got them.  All Thomas needs is a change of scenery. 

You are spot on about Light being past his prime but da Bears have no picks and Light is still a quality starting LT.  Olsen doesn't fit in the scheme in Chicago.  Both teams I think would rather work a deal outside their conferences and get something back vs. not playing them or cutting them.

Good point on Moss though.  We play him one last year then if we don't resign him, we get a 3rd round comp pick in 2012.  We have ample picks to load up at WR.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Here's my updated mock without trades and after seeing the stats of BB not drafting WRs early I am chaning my picks.
      #22 Brandon Graham OLB 6'2" 266 Will start day 1 on the weakside, will bring toughness back to the D along with double digit sacks.
      #44 Lamarr Houston DE 6'3" 305 finds a home taking over RS spot
      #47 Carlton Mitchell WR 6'3" 215 Anyone who's mom is a cutman has to be tought, great speed and good route runner. 
      #53 Andre Roberts WR 5'11" 195 adds depth and a playmaker to the WR group.  Will compete with Tate for the 2 spot.
      #120  Ben Tate RB 5'11" 221 bye bye LM 
      6th rnd Daniel Te'O Nesheim OLB 6'4" 263
      I hope the Pats move into the 5th because I think that's what it will take to get him.
      6th rnd (comp) Chris Marinelli OT 6'7" 301 good pass protector and also good push in the run.  Can sit learn and wait for his RT spot.
      7th Rnd Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 Kid posted great numbers at his pro day where only the Pats were present.  UNH player who put up good numbers has the hands to become the pass catching TE we don't have, 2009 57 catches 725 yards and 9 TDs.  Has the speed to spread out as a WR, 4.53 40.
      7th Rnd  Nolan Carroll CB 6'1" 204 good cover CB, broke his leg early in the season but his medical came back ok at the combine.  I wouldn't be surpriced if he comes in with a fire in his belly and gets wihtley on the bench.  Fast strong and can cover why in the 7th? He doesn't have many starts, 6 in his career only two years as a CB converted WR.  Plays well in the nickle.
      7th (comp) Alfonso Smith RB 6'0" 210 Does not have impresive numbers but has a ton of upside, if not drafted he'll be signed 2 minutes after draft is over.  Can catch the ball and be a KR.  Ran a 4.38 40 at 210lbs.
      7th (comp) Jeff Cumberland TE 6'4" 255
      7th (comp) Doug Worthington DE 6'5" 292 adds depth and maybe a starter in a year or two.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Moss and Dillon were disgruntled when we got them.  All Thomas needs is a change of scenery.  You are spot on about Light being past his prime but da Bears have no picks and Light is still a quality starting LT.  Olsen doesn't fit in the scheme in Chicago.  Both teams I think would rather work a deal outside their conferences and get something back vs. not playing them or cutting them. Good point on Moss though.  We play him one last year then if we don't resign him, we get a 3rd round comp pick in 2012.  We have ample picks to load up at WR.
      Posted by Faucetman

The difference being Moss and Dillon were disgruntled because they were part of losing organizations, what is Thomas' reasoning?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here's my updated mock without trades and after seeing the stats of BB not drafting WRs early I am chaning my picks. #22 Brandon Graham OLB 6'2" 266 Will start day 1 on the weakside, will bring toughness back to the D along with double digit sacks. #44 Lamarr Houston DE 6'3" 305 finds a home taking over RS spot #47 Carlton Mitchell WR 6'3" 215 Anyone who's mom is a cutman has to be tought, great speed and good route runner.  #53 Andre Roberts WR 5'11" 195 adds depth and a playmaker to the WR group.  Will compete with Tate for the 2 spot. #120  Ben Tate RB 5'11" 221 bye bye LM   6th rnd Daniel Te'O Nesheim OLB 6'4" 263 I hope the Pats move into the 5th because I think that's what it will take to get him. 6th rnd (comp) Chris Marinelli OT 6'7" 301 good pass protector and also good push in the run.  Can sit learn and wait for his RT spot. 7th Rnd Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 Kid posted great numbers at his pro day where only the Pats were present.  UNH player who put up good numbers has the hands to become the pass catching TE we don't have, 2009 57 catches 725 yards and 9 TDs.  Has the speed to spread out as a WR, 4.53 40. 7th Rnd  Nolan Carroll CB 6'1" 204 good cover CB, broke his leg early in the season but his medical came back ok at the combine.  I wouldn't be surpriced if he comes in with a fire in his belly and gets wihtley on the bench.  Fast strong and can cover why in the 7th? He doesn't have many starts, 6 in his career only two years as a CB converted WR.  Plays well in the nickle. 7th (comp) Alfonso Smith RB 6'0" 210 Does not have impresive numbers but has a ton of upside, if not drafted he'll be signed 2 minutes after draft is over.  Can catch the ball and be a KR.  Ran a 4.38 40 at 210lbs. 7th (comp) Jeff Cumberland TE 6'4" 255 7th (comp) Doug Worthington DE 6'5" 292 adds depth and maybe a starter in a year or two.
      Posted by Pats7393

Pats,
      I like a lot of the kids in your mock, but I don't agree with taking two WR's in rd 2.