2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots12x81. Show Patriots12x81's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. Brandon Graham 
    2. Golden Tate(if there) or Ryan Matthews
    2. Damian Williams
    2. Sergio Kindle

* Even know we need a punter cause we havent a good one since Camarillo, we should wait for Anger out of Cal hes special

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Faucet there's no way Kaczur starts over Vollmer. No way. It really isn't even a debate.

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Here's a crack at a possible depth chart.  Drafted players are highlighted.  Players that could be cut or traded are in red.  There are 53 players listed and of course only 45 can suit for a game.  I did not include the 8 practice squad players.  What do you guys think?  Ages as of the start of the season are included for existing players. OFFENSE 25 Players Slot 24 Julian Edelman     PUP 29 W Welker WR #190 E. Sanders 22 Brandon Tate   LOT 32 Matt Light     LG 28 Logan Mankins 24 Ryan Wendell 24 George Bussey C 30 Dan Koppen #22 M. Pouncey   ROG 34 Stephen Neal 28 Dan Connolly 24 Rich Ohrnberger RT 31 Nick Kaczur 26 S Vollmer 28 Mark LeVoir TE 32 Alge Crumpler #44 R. Gronkowski   QB 33 Tom Brady 24 Brian Hoyer   RB 25 L Maroney 34 Kevin Faulk 34 Fred Taylor #53 B. Tate 33 Sammy Morris 25 BJ Green-Ellis   WR 33 Randy Moss 36 David Patton           DEFENSE 24 Players DE   29 Ty Warren 28 Mike Wright   NT 28 Vince Wilfork 23 Ron Brace   DE 32 Damione Lewis 24 Myron Pryor 33 Adalius Thomas OLB 30 Tully Banta-Cain 26 Rob Ninkovich   ILB 24 Jerod Mayo 28 Eric Alexander 25 Marques Murrell ILB 24 Gary Guyton 24 T McKenzie   OLB #48 Ricky Sapp 25 Shawn Crable 28 Pierre Woods LCB 24 Darius Butler 26 J Wilhite 35 Shawn Springs RCB 29 Leigh Bodden 25 T Wheatley   SS 26 B Meriweather 23 Pat Chung   FS 26 James Sanders #119 K Chancellor 26 B McGowan   SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players PK 26 S Gostkowski     P #247 B Bowden     H       LS 24 Jake Ingram     KR 24 Matthew Slater     PR      
    Posted by Faucetman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

food for thought....Since Dallas let go Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin, they would seem to be in the market for both a tackle and a safety. Possibly 1 or 2 positions we could help them fill. Jerry likes to wheel and deal, good friends with Kraft.... What are the chances we deal a safety to Dallas or possibly Light as well? What could we get for either or both? (Vrabel/Cassel type package)..is it worth's Dallas' 2nd round pick?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Dallas has a guy that they drafted a couple of years ago to fill this spot.  Adams nonsense hits the door.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ok, if you think Lee will be the starter in place of Adams, I'll buy it.

What about the safety spot? 

In any case, I think we are going to see some trades before or come draft day. I think current players for picks, or combinations of players/picks for picks. 

Dallas I think is one potential trade partner. I'm sure there are others. I think the point I was trying to drive is;
    1. Our current draft slots will not be the same come day 1, 2 and 3 of the draft
    2. We will actively shop guys on the roster and those guys may be Light (1 year left on contract..aka Seymour and possibly one of our 4 safeties.) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

1. Brandon Graham  2. Golden Tate(if there) or Ryan Matthews 2. Damian Williams 2. Sergio Kindle * Even know we need a punter cause we havent a good one since Camarillo, we should wait for Anger out of Cal hes special
    Posted by Patriots12x81

Kindle doesn't get out of the first round.  Tate likely won't either but if he does, he goes pretty quick in the 2nd.  Graham is 50/50 to be there at 22.  Williams should be there. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet there's no way Kaczur starts over Vollmer. No way. It really isn't even a debate. In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Rock,

I AGREE 100000% with you but until BB does it, it hasn't happened yet.  How did you like the rest of it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

Your latest mock is interesting with the move up for McClain. I don't think anyone would doubt the middle of our defense being a heck of a lot better, or for that matter the front 7. If we added someone like Alualu or Joseph in round 2, I think the defensive front 7 would be comparable to any in the league.

The only question I have with your mock is not drafting a WR in round 2 or 4. I would rather draft a WR like Sanders or DWilliams with your Gerhart pick, and use 205 on a RB, or hold steady with who we have on the roster at RB this year, and look to draft a RB next year. 

I agree the position needs to be upgraded, but I would fill the holes first, and I think WR is a big one. This of course assumes the Pats don't do something creative or pick up a vet via trade. Not sure who is left out there, or is available, but perhaps we could grab a proven vet for a couple of our later round picks or something next year. 

The more I consider who we could grab with a move up to 10, the more I like standing pat at 22 and keeping our 2nds. I know BB will probably do something with those 2nds, possibly trading 1 into next year for a 1st. Imagine 3 firsts with a rookie pay scale..brilliant. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I think very strongly about 3 things.

1) BB will move a currently player for another player, or picks.  The player for player thing is much more likely in this uncapped year than ever before.

2) BB is very unlikely to draft 12+ players for this team this year.  I think the limit will be 10, and the sweat spot is likely about 8-9 players.  I would love to see 5 in the first 2 rounds, plus the compensatory picks.

3) BB is likely to use the 4th, 6th, and 7th's to move up in the draft. 

Ideally we move AT, Light, A safety, maybe a Brace or pryor or Wright for some 2-4th round picks, and then package them to move up to top 50 picks.  I really think the Pats will be moving around in this draft, and hope to heck they find about 4 impact players, with at least 1 elite one.  Give me impact at LB, WR, OL, and either DL, RB, or TE and I will be a happy man.    

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Vollmer started over NC in the playoff game so I think Vollmer is officially locked down one of the tackle spots.

You projections look interesting when you add them to the team. My initial comment though was that the OLB's could be a little weak against the run. I'd be worried about the edges getting exploited. I would also say Pouncey is one of those guys who will start day 1 over Koppen (similar to Mayo over Bruschi just because there's some a big talent difference). 

Only a few more weeks til the Pats add some real talent to the team! Exciting stuff...

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Rock, I AGREE 100000% with you but until BB does it, it hasn't happened yet.  How did you like the rest of it?
    Posted by Faucetman

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Arthur Moats Works Out for Patriots http://tinyurl.com/yzhfz3v

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Don't know what kind of football player he is but he's a heck of an athlete.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Can anyone suggest what teams are likely to trade with us so that we get a 3rd rounder this year and/or a 1st for next year?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm surprised no one has really talked about Thaddeus Gibson. He does'nt look bad on tape, is rising, pats have a workout scheduled, ran a 4.6, tested well in liebacker drills and is rated as a second round prospect. On tape he looks long, his arms look very long. He looks a step slower than hughes, kindle, and Sapp, but looks like he moves well. Of course the kid from Virginia looks faster than all of them and is said to have long arms, but looks like a one trick pony.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

The kid from VTech I take it?..Jason Worilds?...i like him a lot, but doubt he'll make it to round 4 and beyond where we pick again. I don't see us drafting him in round 2, but perhaps if we moved up?...he's an interesting prospect...played DE at VTech but because of his size, could possibly move to OLB or ILB...sound familiar?...He's roughly the same size Tedy B was when he played and made the move to ILB. I think he could be very successful playing the ILB position in the NFL. 

I wonder if the Pats have met with him, or where they have him on their board?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Big earthquake just hit.  Wasn't too bad where I live but it was a 6.9 south of Mexicali, about 100 miles or so from me.  House shook for about a minute, water was sloshing all around the pool.  Crazy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, Your latest mock is interesting with the move up for McClain. I don't think anyone would doubt the middle of our defense being a heck of a lot better, or for that matter the front 7. If we added someone like Alualu or Joseph in round 2, I think the defensive front 7 would be comparable to any in the league. The only question I have with your mock is not drafting a WR in round 2 or 4. I would rather draft a WR like Sanders or DWilliams with your Gerhart pick, and use 205 on a RB, or hold steady with who we have on the roster at RB this year, and look to draft a RB next year.  I agree the position needs to be upgraded, but I would fill the holes first, and I think WR is a big one. This of course assumes the Pats don't do something creative or pick up a vet via trade. Not sure who is left out there, or is available, but perhaps we could grab a proven vet for a couple of our later round picks or something next year.  The more I consider who we could grab with a move up to 10, the more I like standing pat at 22 and keeping our 2nds. I know BB will probably do something with those 2nds, possibly trading 1 into next year for a 1st. Imagine 3 firsts with a rookie pay scale..brilliant. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer,

I'd love for us to take a WR high but BB just doesn't seem to like doing it.  My mock was as much to do with trying to predict what he might do vs. what I would do.  I'll do a depth chart with who I would pick assuming no trades and based on who I think there is at least a 50/50 chance of them being available.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I might do something like this which is crazy because this is a defensive draft and defense seems our biggest need.  I look at how young our defense is and how old our offense has become so I went heavy on offense.  I didn't address OLB until late in the draft because I'm just not sold on any of the available ones.  Besides, I think being in the nickel as much as we are we can get by with the LBs we have.

I went with Damaryius Thomas at #22 because this will be the last year for Randy Moss and to find a player with his size and speed and big play ability is rare.  McCluster was a 3 for 1 player to me, we need help in the return game and back up in the slot in case Edelman gets hurt.  DM also can take over for Faulk on 3rd down once he retires.

I think Alualu, who has played 34DE, could end up being one of the best DL in the draft.  Jimmy Graham is a bit of a reach and very raw.  He has off the chart measureables and if he develops he could end up being the steal of the century.

OFFENSE
    Slot24 Julian Edelman  PUP 29 W Welker
    WR#22 D Thomas22 Brandon Tate 
    LOT32 Matt Light  
    LG28 Logan Mankins24 George Bussey 
    C30 Dan Koppen28 Dan Connolly 
    ROG34 Stephen Neal24 Ryan Wendell24 Rich Ohrnberger
    RT26 S Vollmer31 Nick Kaczur28 Mark LeVoir
    TE32 Alge Crumpler#53 J. Graham 
    QB33 Tom Brady24 Brian Hoyer 
    RB25 L Maroney34 Kevin Faulk34 Fred Taylor
    #48 D. McCluster33 Sammy Morris
    25 BJ Green-Ellis 
    WR33 Randy Moss36 David Patton 

DEFENSE
    DE 29 Ty Warren28 Mike Wright#119 C Geathers
    NT28 Vince Wilfork23 Ron Brace#231 B Deaderick
    DE#44 T Alualu32 Damione Lewis24 Myron Pryor
    OLB30 Tully Banta-Cain26 Rob Ninkovich33 Adalius Thomas
    ILB24 Jerod Mayo28 Eric Alexander25 Marques Murrell
    ILB24 Gary Guyton24 T McKenzie 
    OLB25 Shawn Crable28 Pierre Woods#190 R Muckelroy
    LCB24 Darius Butler26 J Wilhite35 Shawn Springs
    RCB29 Leigh Bodden25 T Wheatley 
    SS26 B Meriweather23 Pat Chung 
    FS26 James Sanders#205 J. Miles26 B McGowan

SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players
    PK26 S Gostkowski  
    P#229 Z. Mesko  
    H   
    LS24 Jake Ingram  
    KR24 Matthew Slater  
    PR   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The kid from VTech I take it?..Jason Worilds?...i like him a lot, but doubt he'll make it to round 4 and beyond where we pick again. I don't see us drafting him in round 2, but perhaps if we moved up?...he's an interesting prospect...played DE at VTech but because of his size, could possibly move to OLB or ILB...sound familiar?...He's roughly the same size Tedy B was when he played and made the move to ILB. I think he could be very successful playing the ILB position in the NFL.  I wonder if the Pats have met with him, or where they have him on their board?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Yeah Worilds. Boy is he explosive, but all the highlights I've seen show him heading up field as fast as he can. Seems like he is a little lost out there. You think he's a good enough ball player to move to the middle and understand what he's supposed to do?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Watching Worilds reminds me of a young john abraham, except abraham is bigger and better of course. He's got that unusual speed that tackles fear. Watching the qb's that he faces, they all have to rush there throws with this guy coming around the edge. I don't like the fact that he is always going up against slower right tackles; I'd like to see what he does against a good left tackle.

In the run game, for a small guy he doesn't get driven back. He does get locked up and sealed on the blocks though. But man can he run and he's an athlete, this guy is going to be a nice project for some team and a nice situational type right away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAPats. Show LAPats's posts

I might do something like this which is crazy because this is a defensive draft and defense seems our biggest need.  I look at how young our defense is and how old our offense has become so I went heavy on offense.  I didn't address OLB until late in the draft because I'm just not sold on any of the available ones.  Besides, I think being in the nickel as much as we are we can get by with the LBs we have. I went with Damaryius Thomas at #22 because this will be the last year for Randy Moss and to find a player with his size and speed and big play ability is rare.  McCluster was a 3 for 1 player to me, we need help in the return game and back up in the slot in case Edelman gets hurt.  DM also can take over for Faulk on 3rd down once he retires. I think Alualu, who has played 34DE, could end up being one of the best DL in the draft.  Jimmy Graham is a bit of a reach and very raw.  He has off the chart measureables and if he develops he could end up being the steal of the century. OFFENSE Slot 24 Julian Edelman     PUP 29 W Welker WR #22 D Thomas 22 Brandon Tate   LOT 32 Matt Light     LG 28 Logan Mankins 24 George Bussey   C 30 Dan Koppen 28 Dan Connolly   ROG 34 Stephen Neal 24 Ryan Wendell 24 Rich Ohrnberger RT 26 S Vollmer 31 Nick Kaczur 28 Mark LeVoir TE 32 Alge Crumpler #53 J. Graham   QB 33 Tom Brady 24 Brian Hoyer   RB 25 L Maroney 34 Kevin Faulk 34 Fred Taylor #48 D. McCluster 33 Sammy Morris 25 BJ Green-Ellis   WR 33 Randy Moss 36 David Patton           DEFENSE DE   29 Ty Warren 28 Mike Wright #119 C Geathers NT 28 Vince Wilfork 23 Ron Brace #231 B Deaderick DE #44 T Alualu 32 Damione Lewis 24 Myron Pryor OLB 30 Tully Banta-Cain 26 Rob Ninkovich 33 Adalius Thomas ILB 24 Jerod Mayo 28 Eric Alexander 25 Marques Murrell ILB 24 Gary Guyton 24 T McKenzie   OLB 25 Shawn Crable 28 Pierre Woods #190 R Muckelroy LCB 24 Darius Butler 26 J Wilhite 35 Shawn Springs RCB 29 Leigh Bodden 25 T Wheatley   SS 26 B Meriweather 23 Pat Chung   FS 26 James Sanders #205 J. Miles 26 B McGowan   SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players PK 26 S Gostkowski     P #229 Z. Mesko     H       LS 24 Jake Ingram     KR 24 Matthew Slater     PR      
    Posted by Faucetman

Wow -- OFFENSE.  I like it.  Great post.   Everyone keeps saying we need to draft heavy D, but with so much YOUTH on our D I wonder if we aren't jumping the gun in letting these guys -- Crable, D. Butler, Chung, McKenzie, even Brace and Wheatley -- come along? 

Love McCluster and Alualu but I'd rather have Golden Tate at #22 (it's a little high but NO WAY we see him at #44).  One reason why is he sounds like a safer pick and a great teammate.  Another reason is I can see the Jets drafting him and my last reason is NEXT YEAR we go for the #1 WR with our OAK pick. There's 3 blue chip wideouts expected to come out next year and with McNabb to Washington, I think we'll be able to grab one.  Jimmy Graham in the 2nd seems like a reach for a developmental player.  Maybe OL?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :   Wow -- OFFENSE.  I like it.  Great post.   Everyone keeps saying we need to draft heavy D, but with so much YOUTH on our D I wonder if we aren't jumping the gun in letting these guys -- Crable, D. Butler, Chung, McKenzie, even Brace and Wheatley -- come along?  Love McCluster and Alualu but I'd rather have Golden Tate at #22 (it's a little high but NO WAY we see him at #44).  One reason why is he sounds like a safer pick and a great teammate.  Another reason is I can see the Jets drafting him and my last reason is NEXT YEAR we go for the #1 WR with our OAK pick. There's 3 blue chip wideouts expected to come out next year and with McNabb to Washington, I think we'll be able to grab one.  Jimmy Graham in the 2nd seems like a reach for a developmental player.  Maybe OL?  
    Posted by LAPats

Thanks, yeah I went back and forth between Saffold and taking another offensive weapon.  Jimmy Graham's value is in the 3rd.  He is so raw but upside is amazing!!  By far the safer route would be Pitta or Hernandez both which should be there.  In my previous mock I was taking Pouncey at 22. 

I think Golden Tate is safer, no question.  But I like D. Thomas's upside so much more.  Either player would give us a ligit #3 option.

I'm glad we think alike with our defense.  We have to give them time to develop and learn.  So many young guys with 1-3 years experience.  BB will personally see to it this year to work with them.  I think they will improve just by getting more reps.  We have to take a DT type with the great value this year.  We could hold off and just take Geathers and a couple of late round prospects since we have starting talent now with the acquisition of Lewis.

I love McCluster but also like Gerhart, Hardesty and Tate.  Those three guys make more sense than McCluster but I worry about our kick return game and with no Welker, our punt return game.  Brandon Tate is supposed to be good in this area so maybe we should change things.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hey LA Pats,

How about this?  If our young guys on D don't improve we might still struggle stopping people but NOBODY could stop us with this crew.  We can use the last 3 7th round comps picks all on D. 

OFFENSE
    Slot24 Julian Edelman#48 D. McCluster PUP 29 W Welker
    WR#119 A Roberts22 Brandon Tate 
    LOT32 Matt Light28 Mark LeVoir 
    LG28 Logan Mankins24 George Bussey24 Rich Ohrnberger
    C#22 M Pouncey30 Dan Koppen 
    ROG34 Stephen Neal28 Dan Connolly24 Ryan Wendell
    RT26 S Vollmer31 Nick Kaczur 
    TE32 Alge Crumpler#53 D Pitta 
    QB33 Tom Brady24 Brian Hoyer 
    RB25 L Maroney34 Kevin Faulk34 Fred Taylor
    #44 T. Gerhart33 Sammy Morris
    25 BJ Green-Ellis 
    WR33 Randy Moss36 David Patton 

DEFENSE
    DE 29 Ty Warren28 Mike Wright 
    NT28 Vince Wilfork23 Ron Brace#231 B Deaderick
    DE32 Damione Lewis24 Myron Pryor 
    OLB30 Tully Banta-Cain26 Rob Ninkovich33 Adalius Thomas
    ILB24 Jerod Mayo28 Eric Alexander25 Marques Murrell
    ILB24 Gary Guyton24 T McKenzie 
    OLB25 Shawn Crable28 Pierre Woods#190 R Muckelroy
    LCB24 Darius Butler26 J Wilhite35 Shawn Springs
    RCB29 Leigh Bodden25 T Wheatley 
    SS26 B Meriweather23 Pat Chung 
    FS26 James Sanders#205 J. Miles26 B McGowan

SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players
    PK26 S Gostkowski  
    P#229 Z. Mesko  
    H   
    LS24 Jake Ingram  
    KR24 Matthew Slater  
    PR   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

How about Ed Wang, the OT from Vtech. He started all games at the LT and is known to be extremly versatile and can play C/G too. As a former TE, he has amazing speed and burst. His size is comparable to Light. If drafted, he could try split RT duties with NK and Light and Seabass could take care of LT. If things go well, we have Seabass as LT and Wang at RT. He should be avilable in 4th round and I think is worth the pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I dont mind an O heavy draft as long as we get atleast 1 OLB in the 1st 2 rds.
    Maybe:
    22--Graham OLB/De
    44--Williams WR
    47--Saffold OT
    53--Pitta TE
    119--Tate or Blount RB

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats7393, in regard to not wanting a C/OG in the 1st, Pouncey's talent and size are lightyears ahead of the rest.  No one is even close IMHO.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I agree, Pouncey and then the rest not close, my point was I see a bigger need at RT than I do at center or guard.  One thing I was thinking while driving 4 hours back from a short weekend trip was what if the Pats do something they seem to do often draft trenches early.  So to go with most who seem to have jump on pouncey (can't blame anyone for that), if Pouncey is the pick at 22 here's how I would like to see the rest.

22 Pouncey C/G
    44 Jerry Hughes OLB
    47 Alex Carrington DE
    53 Ben Tate RB
    119 A.J. Edds OLB
    (not the pass rush stud but a great LB) with the team playing more and more nickle Edds will be the LB next to mayo
    6th Marcus Easley WR
    6th (comp) Tony Washington OT
    7th Scott Sicko TE

7th Doug Worthington DE
    7th (comp) Sam Shields WR/CB/PR
    7th (comp) Kelton Tindal WR/KRmight be the fastest guy drafted 4.23, raw player won't lie but for a 7th he will have not pressure on him and can contribute in special teams while learning to be an NFL WR.
    7th (comp) Alfonso Smith RB too much upside not to take him

I was listening to a sports show and they made a very good point, with the depth of this draft UDFA will be very very active the second the draft is over so got me thinking are there really guys that will go undrafted that have a chance to get picked up and make a team so here are some names who we can hear been signed.  Including guys who actually have a chance to actually making the team.

Mike Johnson ILBadds depth at the position and good special teams guy, because of coming out of a small school his name has not been heard often if at all.  Do a bit of research on him and you might be surprised to what some scouts are saying.
    Greg Boone TE- this is one of the first guys I sign as a FA, versatile player took direct snaps at VA Tech. 6'3 282 has soft hands and very athletic for his size.  Is ok blocker but has upside to develop into a great one.
    Tim Knicky OLB- School Stephen F. Austin WHO?! will not be an everydown LB but has excellent speed and rush abilities at worse he becomes a special teams guy.
    Kevin Alexander OLB6'3" 265 good size and speed, can add depth
    A.J. Wallace CB has cover skills, averaged 19.5 yards per punt return

There are a number of serviceable special team type players and some who can be considered upgrades over some of our backups, even a starter or two out there.

Sections
Shortcuts