2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

We have invested three seconders on the secondary in the last two years.  I don't see us invest one first rounder in the secondary again while passing the following players that are likely available and meet greater needs:
    Dez Bryant, Kindle, Odirck, Graham, Jerry Hughes, Dunlap, Gresham, D Thomas and Ryan Mathews.

I read somethwhere that every time the Patriots drafted a DL in the first round, they won a SuperBowl.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    The latest "rumor" that I've heard is that NE is interested in two guys at 22, the players aren't named of course and I have no idea of the validity of the info.  Zolak and Gresh were talking about it on 98.5 The Sports Hub......
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

One is Zoltan Meisko :-p

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The latest "rumor" that I've heard is that NE is interested in two guys at 22, the players aren't named of course and I have no idea of the validity of the info.  Zolak and Gresh were talking about it on 98.5 The Sports Hub......
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

The only two I've heard are Pouncy and kindle.

The kindle one being in question as many think buffalo will take Dan Williams and the Dolphins speculated to take Kindle if that happens.

Even the Pouncy one is questioned as some teams above them appear to also be interested or are at least pretending to be in case the Pats rumor has validity. That way they can try to extort one of the Pats 2nds for a chance to get him.

Crazy gamesmanship.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

the draft is bigger to me than christmas go pats! and ive enjoyed reading your posts!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

#22 Traded Tampa they pickup Dez Bryant, 35, 67 2011 2nd #35 Patrick Robinson CB 5'11" 190 Good press CB, will help add depth behind Butler and Bodden. #44 Carlos Dunlap OLB/DE 6'6" 278 This pick happens if he convinced BB he learned from his mistakes.  He has everything BB looks for in an OLB. #47 Linval Joseph DE/DT 6'5" 325 Big powerfull DL who has good movement for a 325lb man.  With him at RDE teams will find it hard to run on LJ VW TW.  #53 Daniel Te'O-Nesheim OLB 6'4" 263 I think we've said enough about him for most to be sold on him at this pick.  I think he will be a special one, saw an article where he says he has a reputation to uphold because he's fro HI, he said people tend to put those players in the tough and hard working column. #67 (From TB) Ben Tate RB 5'11" 220 Excellent combination of size and speed, can catch out of the backfield.  has speed to take it outside and size to run inside can also block.  Sounds like a 3 down back to me. #119  Mike Johnson OG/OT 6'5" 312 part of the OL which helped Ingram win the Heisman.  Has played RT and RG, good run blocker and also good in pass protection.  Adds depth at both spots, T and G. #190 Cole Pemberton OT 6'7" 315 Allowed only 1 sack all of 2009, the sack came against TCU's Jerry Hughes (lots of tackles gave up a sack to hughes).  This guy IMO will be a solid RT for the Patriots.  Running a 4.74 in short shuttle, not bad for a 315 man. #205(C) Sean Lissemore DE 6'4" 298 Small school, high motor guy who brings a nice pass rush and strengh to go through double teams to get to the QB.  Adds depth at DE/DT. #229 Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 I like this kid since he conducted what you would call pro day private workout for the Patriots, they were the only team to show up and were very impressed. #231 David Gettis WR 6'3" 217 good size and speed, catches everything thrown his way.  Has the tools to develop into a #1 with some developing and adjusting to the NFL #248(C) Dexter Davis OLB/ILB 6'2" 244 31 sacks in college, at 6'2" might be better inside than outside although he can certainly rush the pass as OLB.  Will be a very good special teams player at worse. #250(C) Mike Johnson ILB 6'3 250 instinctive player, plays well against the run and in coverage.  Smash mouth type player, one site calls him a 3rd/4th round talent that will go undrafted.  Ran a 4.65 40, can play both inside or outside and will contribute in special teams.  Can develop into a 3 down LB, adds great depth.  With this draft one of the weaknesses of the team will become a strenth, the LB group. #251(C) Jon Vanderwielen P 6'3" 223 higher % than top rate punters.  Here's a bit about this guy, projected as a UDFA but can't afford to compete with other teams for his services. "Vanderwielen, who redshirted and then did not play in either of his first two seasons, had 74 punts for 3,308 yards (the most in the nation), and he averaged 44.7 yards per punt, banging out 22 50-yard punts, forcing 24 fair catches, and pinning 21 punts inside the 20-yard line, including 12 inside the 10, and six inside the five. He set a school record with three punts of 70 or more yards in a season, and he tied a school record with two 70+ yard punts in a game..." Must have UDFA 2 names, both local kids from UMass: Kyle Harrington DE 6'4" 290 Very strong, 41 reps at 225.  Has very good speed to come off the edge as a pass rusher and strength to hold up against the run.  Jeremy Horne-Murdock WR 6'2" 200   Good speed and lateral movement, does not have the production in 2009 that he did have 2008.  Good hands and ok route runner, very good returner. CBSSports "(6-2 1/8, 199) had a 35-inch vertical jump, a 4.15 short shuttle, a 6.80 three-cone drill"
    Posted by Pats7393

Taking a CB i have no issue with but i am not a fan of taking a boom or bust guy here at a skill position. All I ever hear about the kid is he has the best feet and change of direction bla bla... BUT I also only ever hear how he hasn't lived up to it and that he's completely inconsistent. When i hear comments like he will either be a pro bowler or a jag I really want to stay away unless I am in a gambling mood and I never am that high in a draft. 

I will say I like the fact that he progressively got better as a tackler or willing tackler each and every year of his career as his tackle numbers incremented each year.

However, I do not like the fact that he had 6 INT's in 2007, 1 in 2008, and 0 in 2009.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Happy Draft Day Boys (and Girls),

This is my best and final.

My two guarantees:

1. They won’t make all 12 picks.
    2. Daniel Te’o-Nesheim is a New England Patriot by weeks end.
    My top 20 alternatives targets after Rd 1 (in no particular order): 

Defense:

DL Al Woods LSU

DL Tyson Alualu Cal

LB AJ Edds Iowa

LB Brandon Spikes Florida
    LB Koa Misi Utah
    LB Jermaine Cunningham Florida

S Myron Rolle FSU

CB Kareem Jackson Alabama

CB Jerome Murphy USF

Offense:

QB Tim Tebow

WR Eric Decker Minnesota

WR Andre Roberts Citadel

WR Riley Cooper Florida

WR Blair White Michigan State

RB Dexter McCluster

OT Kyle Calloway Iowa

OG Mike Johnson Alabama

TE Dennis Pitta BYU

TE Jimmy Graham Miami

TE Tony Moeaki Iowa

Assuming they don’t trade down which I think is a huge possibility, I’d love for them to go for Golden, but something tells me they’ll address the interior and go with Pouncey or Odrick.  If a higher rated player slips that could change the entire dynamic of Rd 1, but I’ll project based on the players assumed to be available.

Here is how I think the draft could play out: 

22        C/OG Maurkice Pouncey- (6-5 304) Florida-  Continuing with BB’s philosophy of building from the trenches out, this kid is one of the best OL in the draft, he has great size, power, athleticism and intelligence and has the ability to be an impact player at all three interior OL positions. He’s also extremely experienced and has been very durable, BB loves the SEC pedigree. (Alternatives: Golden Tate, Demaryius Thomas, Ryan Mathews, Kyle Wilson, Jared Odrick). (Also keep an eye on Earl Thomas and JPP if they slip)

44        TE Aaron Hernandez- (6-2 245) Florida- I haven’t moved from this pick in quite some time and I’m not buying his drop to rounds 3 or 4.  This kid is a fast, quick, athletic, productive (111-1,382-12) and versatile offensive weapon that BB can move all over the field.  You also have to love his experience and SEC pedigree.

47        RB Toby Gerhart- (6-0 231) Stanford- The future lead back and fan favorite.  This kid’s been extremely productive (671-3,522-43), has good intelligence, quickness and power and is effective as both a pass blocker and receiver out of the backfield.  He’s a great fit for their power scheme.

53        OLB Daniel Te'o-Nesheim- (6-3 263) Washington- The pick sure to shock most casual Pat’s fans, he’s my top sleeper in this class.  The kid has great size for a hybrid 3-4 OLB, may also be able to play some 4-3 DE, great motor and quickness, high character, good production in college getting after the QB and making plays behind the LOS (30 sacks, 47 TFL).  Could he be the next great NE 3-4 OLB?

119      WR Emmanuel Sanders- (5-11 186) SMU- He’s not very big, but possesses the type of short area quickness and lateral explosion that BB loves in his WR’s. He was ultra productive in college (285-3,791-34), is extremely fast, has experience returning kicks which adds value and will provide some big play ability. 

190      QB Sean Canfield- (6-4 223) Oregon State- Smart kid, good size for the position and great accuracy.  The next late round NE QB project?

205      DL Brandon Deadrick 6-4 309 Alabama- Great size and strength, strong at the POA and is very stout against the run, projects as a great fit at 3-4 DE. 

229      WR Kerry Meier- (6-2 224) Kansas-   Extremely smart, competitive high character kid with good size and quickness, run's good routes and shows the ability to find soft spots in coverage, good production (226-2,309-18) at the college level. 

231      CB Sherrick McManis- (5-11 195) NW- Good size and zone CB potential, also has a lot of experience in the Big Ten (3 year starter).  He had 5 INT’s as a senior. 

247      DL Vince Oghobaase- (6-5 300) Duke- Great size and length, a lot of experience, has been durable.  Potential late round 3-4 DE sleeper with BB’s preferred size.

248      OT Chris Marinelli- (6-7 300) Stanford- Tough, smart, durable OT prospect that plays with a nasty demeanor and will provide some OL depth.

250      S Chris Maragos- (5-11 200) Wisconsin- Excellent speed and quickness (3.98 SS, 6.55 3C), 4 INT’s as a senior, could be another core special teamer.  BB loves quick, agile players.    

Rookie Free Agents:

ILB Matt Mayberry ILB Indiana- Good speed, instincts and production, could be a core special teamer and provide some depth at ILB.

OL Jim Cordle OL Ohio State- Versatile and has experience at all 5 OL positions.

TE Jim Dray Stanford
    - Good size and ability as an inline blocker.  Also shows potential as a pass catcher and could develop into a dual purpose TE at the NFL level. 

P Brent Bowden Virginia Tech
    - The need a new punter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : The only two I've heard are Pouncy and kindle. The kindle one being in question as many think buffalo will take Dan Williams and the Dolphins speculated to take Kindle if that happens. Even the Pouncy one is questioned as some teams above them appear to also be interested or are at least pretending to be in case the Pats rumor has validity. That way they can try to extort one of the Pats 2nds for a chance to get him. Crazy gamesmanship.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I decided to go with Pouncey for my final mock.  The pick would make sense as he'd clearly upgrade their OL and has the versatility to impact all 3 interior OL positions, not to mention there was talk of them having interest in Louisville C/OG Eric Wood with their 1st rounder last year before ultimately trading down. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Gotta love this trade!  Edelman was probably a bubble guy to make the team once we signed Holt, and we are basically giving up last year's 7th (which we admitedly did a very nice job with) and swapping 44 for 73, to get A STARTING CORNER, who is BIG, YOUNG AND FAST, and fills a big need. Are you kidding me!!  I am also thrilled that the Pats see what I see, that this year's rookie corners available at 21+ are not starters.  Cox is.
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet you lost me here, ah?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Gotta love this trade!  Edelman was probably a bubble guy to make the team once we signed Holt, and we are basically giving up last year's 7th (which we admitedly did a very nice job with) and swapping 44 for 73, to get A STARTING CORNER, who is BIG, YOUNG AND FAST, and fills a big need. Are you kidding me!!  I am also thrilled that the Pats see what I see, that this year's rookie corners available at 21+ are not starters.  Cox is.
    Posted by Faucetman

Bubble guy to make the team?  He was their best receiver in the Baltimore playoff game.

What trade are you referring to?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

LOL...that was my brother.  He saw the trade on the ticker at NFL Network and it was last year's trade scrolling by.  He thought it was current!  Sorry, I've slapped him hard already and deleted the post.

Everyone is pins and needles and looking for tidbits!

This wait has been far too long.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Posted by Faucetman

Did something happen or have you hit the Captain Morgan 7 hours before the draft beggins?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I decided to go with Pouncey for my final mock.  The pick would make sense as he'd clearly upgrade their OL and has the versatility to impact all 3 interior OL positions, not to mention there was talk of them having interest in Louisville C/OG Eric Wood with their 1st rounder last year before ultimately trading down. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Good point i remember that very well

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

LOL completely hysterical on the trade post! I was like huh what? What did I miss? Trade Edelman, why? LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Happy Draft Day Boys (and Girls),   This is my best and final. My two guarantees:   They won’t make all 12 picks. Daniel Te’o-Nesheim is a New England Patriot by weeks end. My top 20 alternatives targets after Rd 1 (in no particular order):   Defense: DL Al Woods LSU DL Tyson Alualu Cal LB AJ Edds Iowa LB Brandon Spikes Florida LB Koa Misi Utah LB Jermaine Cunningham Florida S Myron Rolle FSU CB Kareem Jackson Alabama CB Jerome Murphy USF   Offense: QB Tim Tebow WR Eric Decker Minnesota WR Andre Roberts Citadel WR Riley Cooper Florida WR Blair White Michigan State RB Dexter McCluster OT Kyle Calloway Iowa OG Mike Johnson Alabama TE Dennis Pitta BYU TE Jimmy Graham Miami TE Tony Moeaki Iowa   Assuming they don’t trade down which I think is a huge possibility, I’d love for them to go for Golden, but something tells me they’ll address the interior and go with Pouncey or Odrick.   If a higher rated player slips that could change the entire dynamic of Rd 1, but I’ll project based on the players assumed to be available.   Here is how I think the draft could play out:   22         C/OG Maurkice Pouncey- (6-5 304) Florida -   Continuing with BB’s philosophy of building from the trenches out, this kid is one of the best OL in the draft, he has great size, power, athleticism and intelligence and has the ability to be an impact player at all three interior OL positions. He’s also extremely experienced and has been very durable, BB loves the SEC pedigree. (Alternatives: Golden Tate, Demaryius Thomas, Ryan Mathews, Kyle Wilson, Jared Odrick). (Also keep an eye on Earl Thomas and JPP if they slip)   44         TE Aaron Hernandez- (6-2 245) Florida - I haven’t moved from this pick in quite some time and I’m not buying his drop to rounds 3 or 4.   This kid is a fast, quick, athletic, productive (111-1,382-12) and versatile offensive weapon that BB can move all over the field.   You also have to love his experience and SEC pedigree.   47         RB Toby Gerhart- (6-0 231) Stanford - The future lead back and fan favorite.   This kid’s been extremely productive (671-3,522-43), has good intelligence, quickness and power and is effective as both a pass blocker and receiver out of the backfield.   He’s a great fit for their power scheme.   53         OLB Daniel Te'o-Nesheim- (6-3 263) Washington - The pick sure to shock most casual Pat’s fans, he’s my top sleeper in this class.   The kid has great size for a hybrid 3-4 OLB, may also be able to play some 4-3 DE, great motor and quickness, high character, good production in college getting after the QB and making plays behind the LOS (30 sacks, 47 TFL).   Could he be the next great NE 3-4 OLB?   119       WR Emmanuel Sanders- (5-11 186) SMU - He’s not very big, but possesses the type of short area quickness and lateral explosion that BB loves in his WR’s. He was ultra productive in college (285-3,791-34), is extremely fast, has experience returning kicks which adds value and will provide some big play ability.     190       QB Sean Canfield- (6-4 223) Oregon State - Smart kid, good size for the position and great accuracy.   The next late round NE QB project?   205       DL Brandon Deadrick 6-4 309 Alabama - Great size and strength, strong at the POA and is very stout against the run, projects as a great fit at 3-4 DE.     229       WR Kerry Meier- (6-2 224) Kansas -    Extremely smart, competitive high character kid with good size and quickness, run's good routes and shows the ability to find soft spots in coverage, good production (226-2,309-18) at the college level.     231       CB Sherrick McManis- (5-11 195) NW - Good size and zone CB potential, also has a lot of experience in the Big Ten (3 year starter).   He had 5 INT’s as a senior.   247       DL Vince Oghobaase- (6-5 300) Duke - Great size and length, a lot of experience, has been durable.   Potential late round 3-4 DE sleeper with BB’s preferred size.   248       OT Chris Marinelli- (6-7 300) Stanford - Tough, smart, durable OT prospect that plays with a nasty demeanor and will provide some OL depth.   250       S Chris Maragos- (5-11 200) Wisconsin - Excellent speed and quickness (3.98 SS, 6.55 3C), 4 INT’s as a senior, could be another core special teamer.   BB loves quick, agile players.         Rookie Free Agents:   ILB Matt Mayberry ILB Indiana - Good speed, instincts and production, could be a core special teamer and provide some depth at ILB. OL Jim Cordle OL Ohio State - Versatile and has experience at all 5 OL positions.   TE Jim Dray Stanford - Good size and ability as an inline blocker.  Also shows potential as a pass catcher and could develop into a dual purpose TE at the NFL level.       P Brent Bowden Virginia Tech - The need a new punter.  
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

12 in all? or just the 12 they have currently? I agree I do not think they make 12 in this draft.

I can't see Hernandez at #44 at this point. Strictly based of the momentum and feel over the past 3 weeks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

LOL completely hysterical on the trade post! I was like huh what? What did I miss? Trade Edelman, why? LOL
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I jumped on everysite possible to see what the heck was happening, that was good but that lasted 10 minutes.  Time is going by slow now, but getting closer.

Really think we will not hear a name called for the Patriots until tomorrow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Other than this recent post at PFT. 

I have heard almost entirely nothing about Toby Gerhart good or bad during this entire draft process.

Certainly not anything tying him to the Patriots in anyway. Not that is means anything at all.

Has anyone else?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Taking a CB i have no issue with but i am not a fan of taking a boom or bust guy here at a skill position. All I ever hear about the kid is he has the best feet and change of direction bla bla... BUT I also only ever hear how he hasn't lived up to it and that he's completely inconsistent. When i hear comments like he will either be a pro bowler or a jag I really want to stay away unless I am in a gambling mood and I never am that high in a draft.  I will say I like the fact that he progressively got better as a tackler or willing tackler each and every year of his career as his tackle numbers incremented each year. However, I do not like the fact that he had 6 INT's in 2007, 1 in 2008, and 0 in 2009.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

http://www.draftace.com/profiles/2010/patrick_robinson.htm

They have him ranked 4th best CB with a score of 89.  I think the guy needs some work but IMO won't be a bust maybe never a #1 but a solid CB.  Don't know how to explain the 0 INTs, wish I can see how many passes were thrown his way and how other teams played him. 
    Anyone know where I can see stats like that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : 12 in all? or just the 12 they have currently? I agree I do not think they make 12 in this draft. I can't see Hernandez at #44 at this point. Strictly based of the momentum and feel over the past 3 weeks.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I don't see them taking all 12 of their assigned picks and believe they'll make a trade or two or three at some point.

Hernandez is probably the only kid that I can think of, that was productive, tore up his pro-day and is now dropping.  As for the "character" and "commitment" issues, until someone can tell me what these are, I'll assume they don't exist.  If they're real then I'd adjust accordingly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Other than this recent  post  at PFT.  I have heard almost entirely nothing about Toby Gerhart good or bad during this entire draft process. Certainly not anything tying him to the Patriots in anyway. Not that is means anything at all. Has anyone else?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Tedy talked highly of him and said he needs to be drafted, he talked about it in the Patriots pre draft party they had.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : http://www.draftace.com/profiles/2010/patrick_robinson.htm They have him ranked 4th best CB with a score of 89.  I think the guy needs some work but IMO won't be a bust maybe never a #1 but a solid CB.  Don't know how to explain the 0 INTs, wish I can see how many passes were thrown his way and how other teams played him.  Anyone know where I can see stats like that?
    Posted by Pats7393

From FL State website

2009 - leads all defensive players with 11 passes defended and ranks fifth in the ACC in that category.

I don't know how that compares nationally or what he had for his career or other years. I am also not sure what is considered good, or avg, etc for a given year in that category for a CB.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LutherHead04. Show LutherHead04's posts

I LOVE this mock because of all the pictures!!! haha nice :)

http://www.thesportsbank.net/nfl-mock-drafts/nfl-mock-draft-4-21/

And they actualy a Pats specific post too, breaking everything down, and why this dude thinks they'll do what they do

http://www.thesportsbank.net/nfl/patriots-biggest-players-in-nfl-draft%E2%80%99s-2nd-round/

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

#22 Dez Bryant,WR
    #44 Carlos Dunlap,RB
    #47 Patrick Robinson, CB
    #53 Dennis Pitta, TE
    #119 LeGarrette Blount,RB

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The rumor mill has been pretty quiet.  Anyone hearing/reading anything?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Posted by mbeaulieu07

Been watching NFL Network all day (I LOVE MY JOB LOL!!!) but nothing yet, lots of posibilities scenarios but nothing clear.

One which I presented is a team drafting back into the 1st round between 22 and 30 to grab a QB, Tebow talk.  I think he or Clausen go at 22, Browns, Seahaws, Bills one of those teams getting back into the 1st (trading a 2nd and 3rd or 2 2nds to come get their QB.

Oh and rumor, Skins thinking about Berry not a tackle but I don't see that happening well I guess it could.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Posted by mbeaulieu07

Congrats on being the 4000th poster. Excellent job mbeaulieu and to all who have contributed. I too have read every post here and have learned more this year than my 30 some odd years being a pats fan. Two and a half hours to go!

Sections
Shortcuts