2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Playing behind Harvin, Louis Murphy, Andrew Caldwell and Dallas Baker.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Thanks,

I figured as much about Harvin.

Interesting grades at DraftAce for each player

Florida
    Louis MurphyFlorida
    11.Riley CooperFlorida
    Florida

If his grades are remotely accurate you would think he'd have seen more opportunities. I would hate to be in a position to make decisions on those 1 yr guys. I won't say why he probably got over looked early at Florida. ;-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : If you are comparing and constrating the receivers' production vs. potential, shouldn't you include Freddies Barnes?
    Posted by TrustBill

Yes you could certainly throw his name in that list also. I like Freddie Barnes late.

However, what I was working off is the idea or Wide Receivers who either made the "Our Lads" weighted list of better than avg quickness, speed, change of direction OR one of the Scouts darlings of the Year. OR both if the player falls into both categories.

Freddie Doesn't actually fall in either category so that and mainly time is why he is not listed. There are some others that made the "OurLads" list I did not include also.

Of those two criteria I listed above I tried to also keep in mind players that have been associated with the Patriots interest in one fashion or another. I have not seen all on the listed I posted mentioned with the Patriots but many have.

By the way do you know if Freddie was hurt in 2008? Very down year compared to 2007 and 2009.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

From ESPN Insider:

Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick got some rave reviews from an NFL general manager. The anonymous GM told ESPN affiliate Nittany Network: "I like Odrick. He'll be a hell of a pro. He's like Dave Butz was with the old Redskins. He's a throwback as a player; he's a real good three-down player. He can rush the passer; he's excellent against the run and he has a real knack for the game. There are no holes to this guy. He's as safe a pick with talent as you'll get on the board. He'll be a good to Pro Bowl type of pro. He's ready to come in and be a starter."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

From ESPN Insider: Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick got some rave reviews from an NFL general manager. The anonymous GM told ESPN affiliate Nittany Network : "I like Odrick. He'll be a hell of a pro. He's like Dave Butz was with the old Redskins. He's a throwback as a player; he's a real good three-down player. He can rush the passer; he's excellent against the run and he has a real knack for the game. There are no holes to this guy. He's as safe a pick with talent as you'll get on the board. He'll be a good to Pro Bowl type of pro. He's ready to come in and be a starter."
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

He's all over the place from as low as 27/8 all the way up to the rumor of the Cleveland Browns taking him at #7.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : He's all over the place from as low as 27/8 all the way up to the rumor of the Cleveland Browns taking him at #7.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

There are players I like more, but I don't see how NE passes on him if he's available at 22. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Hello, everyone. I meant to keep up with posting here, and I've forgotten again. I usually post over at PatsFans these days, but I used to be more involved here as well. I'm enjoying reading along!

I just posted this over at PatsFans, so I thought I'd share it here, too.

Lately I've been really intrigued by a lot of the small school and lesser-known players in the draft, and I decided I'd throw together a depth chart/roster of players projected to go undrafted to illustrate the depth and quality available late in the draft. Bolded players I'd like to see the Patriots consider drafting.

Please play along and do your own. Smile

- -=- -

QB Bill Stull, Rusty Smith, Dominic Randolph
    LT Nick Howell, Dan Ryan, Nic Richmond, Cole Pemberton
    LG Charlie Tanner, Cord Howard, Erik Cook
    C Phil Costa, Eddie Adamski, AJ Trump
    RG Sergio Render, Thomas Austen, Vladimir Richard
    RT Jeraill McCuller, Casey Knips, Tyler Eastman
    TE Scott Sicko, Jeff Cottam, Steve Maneri
    WR Scott Long, Kelton Tindal, Rich Gunnell, Michael Moore
    WR AJ Jackson, Stephen Williams, Terrel Hudgins, Jason Harmon
    WR Tim Brown, Brandon Banks, Trindon Holliday, LeRoy Vann
    RB Stafon Johnson, Alphonso Smith, Cory Jackson, Rendrick Taylor

DE/OLB Aaron Morgan, Jarvis Geathers, Junior Galette
    DE/DT Kade Weston, Robert Rose, Abe Koroma
    NT Aleric Mullins, Callahan Bright, Ekom Udofia
    DE/DT Charles Alexander, Blake Ferras, Kellen Heard
    DE/OLB Tim Knicky, Marcus Tillman, Austen English, Corey Reamer
    ILB Vincent Rey, Jacob Cutrera, Matt Mayberry
    ILB Mike Johnson, Ryan D'Imperio, Joe Pawelek
    SS Donye McCleskey, Lucien Antoine, Aaron Webster
    FS Quentin Scott, Jonathan Amaya, Van Eskridge
    CB Aaron Berry, Cornelius Brown, Prince Miller
    CB Robert McClain, Cassius Vaughn, Marquis Johnson

I've gone with a three-receiver set and a 34 defense, but feel free to modify. Have fun!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : faucet, why r u so high on this kid? he comes out of a spread offence and has no route running skills what so ever, havent seen him in months due to the foot injury so u know that toughness would be an issue, best WR in this daft is Damian Williams, hes got blazing speed, great hands great routes, and go over the middle hes got it all and people dont seem to see that...
    Posted by TateGroup

The thing I am most impressed with was how he catches balls with his hands at full extension and at the top of his leap. In the NFL the DB's are much better and will be there stride for stride on most plays, D. Thomas will still be able to come away with the ball because of how he uses his body as a shield and catches the ball up high and away from the defender. Against most Rec the DB will get a tip on the ball but against D. Thomas that extra few inches will make an imense difference. Now his height and speed are good but this seemingly natural technigue is what sets him apart in my mind from all the other 6ft+, 4.4sec rec that we could get. I do like D. Williams though, wouldn't be against drafting him, I also like Sanders and Roberts. These 4 are my guys, pass on Decker, Benn, and most others. I like Tate as well but not at 22 if I could get one of these others in the 2nd or 3rd. If Tate was there in the 2nd that might change my thinking. One more question, say D. Thomas was the most dangerous vertical threat in the game, how much would he then really need to run a full route tree? I think he would pull double teams regardless and not complain about doing it, that is as important a job as actualy catching the ball.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I know a couple of us have mocked this guy to the Pats, I know I started him been drafted in the 7th but now down to the 4th. 

He was hosted by the Pats, he can be an option at OLB.  If they liked him and think he is good enough to be the LB they want to draft it gives the first 4 picks to fill other hole or even trading on of the 2nd rounders for a 3rd and 5th or 2011 picks.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4676932/teo-nesheim-a-mid-round-possibility-to-watch

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I know a couple of us have mocked this guy to the Pats, I know I started him been drafted in the 7th but now down to the 4th.  He was hosted by the Pats, he can be an option at OLB.  If they liked him and think he is good enough to be the LB they want to draft it gives the first 4 picks to fill other hole or even trading on of the 2nd rounders for a 3rd and 5th or 2011 picks. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4676932/teo-nesheim-a-mid-round-possibility-to-watch
    Posted by Pats7393

I like it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'd be worried that's a smokescreen. Why would an NFL general manager tell ESPN he really likes Odrick? I question it because most reports from scouts say they are unsure if he can make the switch to a 3-4 DE. Glowing reports like that can only inflate Odrick's status, which an interested general manager wouldn't want to do. 

I only question it because the report is so glowing, and most see him less favorably. The 'safe' comment in particular caught me as funny. He's a possible conversion guy from Penn State. How do those guys usually work out? I wouldn't go crazy over Odrick over one report. He's does fit the body prototype for a 3-4 end, but who knows how he can play the position.

Plus, the named GM might not be Nick Caserio and the Pats may not like him. Everyone evaluates talent differently.

From ESPN Insider: Penn State defensive lineman Jared Odrick got some rave reviews from an NFL general manager. The anonymous GM told ESPN affiliate Nittany Network : "I like Odrick. He'll be a hell of a pro. He's like Dave Butz was with the old Redskins. He's a throwback as a player; he's a real good three-down player. He can rush the passer; he's excellent against the run and he has a real knack for the game. There are no holes to this guy. He's as safe a pick with talent as you'll get on the board. He'll be a good to Pro Bowl type of pro. He's ready to come in and be a starter."
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

You gotta believe in your draft board and how your picks were assessed.  If you doubt it at all you're sunk.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan24-7. Show Patsfan24-7's posts

Golden Tate- My feelings on him are well documented. I didn't know you liked him haha, he would be a great addition I just don't know at 22 if Kindle, Graham are there I think both would be bigger value vs need but i wouldn't be calling a bad pick at all.  He would be a #2 or 3 at worse this year. Demaryius Thomas- Tough to overlook his upside. Although I think he's an option at 22 I think they are high on Marcus Easley, tall fast and is raw in route running as is thomas Easley can be had in the 4th. Dexter McCluster- Quick, versatile productive, good pedigree. He would be a matchup nightmare and a great screen option. Eric Decker- Tough, smart and ultra productive. Wish he was a little faster but really good target Blair White- Simply loves the game of football, good quickness. Another big target, see Thomas for thoughts. Riley Cooper- Good size and quickness. Like Cooper but not sure if he can turn into a #1 which I would like a guy his size to be. Andre Roberts- Good quickness, no longer under the radar? Secret is out and teams are bringing him in for workouts.  I have him been picked by the Pats at #53. Emmanuel Sanders- Excellent speed, quickness and production. If Roberts is not picked Sanders is an option Scott Long- Good size and quickness. can play but is he smart enough?  Twice academic ineligible. Kerry Meier- Good size and quickness, also smart and is a former QB. interesting player, could be worth a shot might not even be drafted A couple of other guys Davis Getts big and fast 6'3" 217 also catches well.  For a big receiver he has good feet and can run different routes including curls. Marcus Easley - Fast is the word on him, he's been getting tons of attention seen him now as a 4th rounder.  Needs to improve route running, could be a #1 in two years. Kelton Tindal 6'2" 197 4.32 with hands to match the speed.  Right now could end up not been drafted but I would use a 7th on him.  He can be a great PR while he develops as a receiver. Joe Webb converted QB he is rising up boards, he can become a very good receiver but that is all projections right now.  Threw for 2200 and ran for 1000+ two years in a row.
    Posted by Pats7393

interesting how you and mb both didnt mention jacoby ford.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : interesting how you and mb both didnt mention jacoby ford.
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

That's true he has similar numbers to Taylor Price but no one really even talked much about Ford until he ran a fast 40 time.

I, personally have not watch game film on all the receivers. Only the position drill films from the combine for all of them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : interesting how you and mb both didnt mention jacoby ford.
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

Ford, I don't know what to make of him.  The thoughts of D. Jackson (eagles) come to mind.  Ford had 7 TDs of 50+ yards in 27 games, I think that qualifies him as a deep threat target but how is he in route running?  Because he was such a miss match he wasn't asked to do much in route running and would need to develop in that area.  He has room to grow because he showed improvement in route running in 09 and became Clemson's leading receiver.
    He would be a returner day one on my team, I have him rated as a 3rd rounder.  If we can pickup 1 or 2 3rd rounders I think Ford is an option. 
    I think he in NE's screen game would be a dangerous dangerous WR. 

I might be in the minority but I rather the Pats take 2 or 3 shorter but sure handed WRs who can run routes and go across the middle rather than 6'3+ that are more go route players. 
    A couple of exceptions and because I think they are complete WRs who are not scared of the middle, have good hands and are faster than what their size suggest they be Demaryius Thomas, Carlton Mitchell, Easley and David Getts.  Thomas probably gone by 22, Mitchell an option in the 2nd, Easly 4th and Getts in the 6th/7th although his stock might be on the rise he's as sure handed as any WR in the draft.

What about Kelton Tindal, I brought him up a few times but haven't seen much hype yet.  6'2" 200 Newberry supposed to be faster than Ford, extremely raw WR projected as a UDFA but I would use one of those 7th comp picks on him.  can also be (like ford) a returner while he gets better at WR, the only difference is Ford is further along and probably contributes at WR in 2010. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd be worried that's a smokescreen. Why would an NFL general manager tell ESPN he really likes Odrick? I question it because most reports from scouts say they are unsure if he can make the switch to a 3-4 DE. Glowing reports like that can only inflate Odrick's status, which an interested general manager wouldn't want to do.  I only question it because the report is so glowing, and most see him less favorably. The 'safe' comment in particular caught me as funny. He's a possible conversion guy from Penn State. How do those guys usually work out? I wouldn't go crazy over Odrick over one report. He's does fit the body prototype for a 3-4 end, but who knows how he can play the position. Plus, the named GM might not be Nick Caserio and the Pats may not like him. Everyone evaluates talent differently. In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Personally, I don't know what said GM's agenda is, I was simply posting the comments.  I don't disagree that it could be a smokescreen, though personally I have no idea as the GM wasn't named so I don't know what his draft position is.

It's obvious that we don't know what BB/Caserio's view is on any of these players with the possible acception being BB loves Tebow's mentality, but even that doesn't tell you whether he thinks the kid can play QB or not

I could probably post differing scouting opinions on 99% of the players in this draft, the disparity is amazing.  How can two or three guys watch the same player and come away with completely different reads?  This is why I do as much research on a player as I can.

My opinion on Odrick is simple, if they feel he can play 3-4 DE at a high level and he's available, I don't see them passing on him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Posted by Patsfan24-7

I didn't mention a lot of guys (Bryant, Williams, Benn, LaFell, Mitchell, Gilyard, and Price etc), that was just my opinion on the players most likely to end up in Foxboro.  I assumed there would be varying opinions out there and per my post welcomed suggestions on the addition/removal of some names.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Oh yeah, definitely agree on picking Odrick if they think he can play at a high level. But as you've mentioned before, those 3-4 ends are sure tough to come by. I'm sure they've put Odrick under the microscope and have a pretty good assessment on him.

Mb, I was curious what you thought about this: Belichick has been known to pick players that aren't typically rumored to go to the Pats. For instance, there was little talk about Mayo and a lot of talk about Gholston. A lot of talk about Robertson, and very little talk about Warren. Both worked out.

Taking away guys that make sense and guys that are talked about a lot (Graham, Odrick, Tate, Pouncey, Tebow...) who can you see the Pats targeting? My thought was one of the top CB's. 

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Personally, I don't know what said GM's agenda is, I was simply posting the comments.  I don't disagree that it could be a smokescreen, though personally I have no idea as the GM wasn't named so I don't know what his draft position is. It's obvious that we don't know what BB/Caserio's view is on any of these players with the possible acception being BB loves Tebow's mentality, but even that doesn't tell you whether he thinks the kid can play QB or not I could probably post differing scouting opinions on 99% of the players in this draft, the disparity is amazing.  How can two or three guys watch the same player and come away with completely different reads?  This is why I do as much research on a player as I can. My opinion on Odrick is simple, if they feel he can play 3-4 DE at a high level and he's available, I don't see them passing on him.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Oh yeah, definitely agree on picking Odrick if they think he can play at a high level. But as you've mentioned before, those 3-4 ends are sure tough to come by. I'm sure they've put Odrick under the microscope and have a pretty good assessment on him. Mb, I was curious what you thought about this: Belichick has been known to pick players that aren't typically rumored to go to the Pats. For instance, there was little talk about Mayo and a lot of talk about Gholston. A lot of talk about Robertson, and very little talk about Warren. Both worked out. Taking away guys that make sense and guys that are talked about a lot (Graham, Odrick, Tate, Pouncey, Tebow...) who can you see the Pats targeting? My thought was one of the top CB's.  In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

That's a good question and I think about it a lot.  I do agree that they never seem to take the player that most are projecting, though the guy they take makes sense after all is said and done. 

I also agree that it could be one of the top CB's available, Wilson or McCourty as while they seem set at the position, you can never have to many potential top level CB's on your roster.  Both also appear to excel on special teams and we don't really know how they view Wheatley/Wilhite long term. 

I also think TE is still in the mix based on their draft history, long term need and talent available, personally I love Aaron Hernandez (Gronkowski and Gresham are in the discussion as well) and he's a local kid, so I'd love to see it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Oh yeah, definitely agree on picking Odrick if they think he can play at a high level. But as you've mentioned before, those 3-4 ends are sure tough to come by. I'm sure they've put Odrick under the microscope and have a pretty good assessment on him. Mb, I was curious what you thought about this: Belichick has been known to pick players that aren't typically rumored to go to the Pats. For instance, there was little talk about Mayo and a lot of talk about Gholston. A lot of talk about Robertson, and very little talk about Warren. Both worked out. Taking away guys that make sense and guys that are talked about a lot (Graham, Odrick, Tate, Pouncey, Tebow...) who can you see the Pats targeting? My thought was one of the top CB's.  In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

I also believe a CB could be an option at 22, they have brought in a few of CBs in for workouts might not mean anything or could be they believe they still need a #2 or 3. 
    Wilson and McCorty are probably gone, 49rs and TN respectively IMO also Haden but I think that's a given.
    Two guys with a 1st round grade Kareen Jackson and Patrick Robinson I don't know if either was brought in but I don't think they would show much interest in Jackson not to show their cards. 
    He played for Alabama so I'm sure they get all the scouting report from a very trusted source and someone who BB trusts, Nick S.

What about an OL?  I know one was picked in the second and will turn out to be a probably one of the top 2nd round picks the Pats ever made, not exaggerating.  But if Charles Brown is available is he an option?

Also was thinking what if they are not sold on any player at 22 and feel they can move back and get the players they want, what can they pickup and who is the trade partner?  San Diego?  They are said to be looking at Ryan Matthews hard and is who they like in the 1st, could they try to move up to 22 and get Matthews?  Man draft day is still two weeks away, it will an interesting 3 days. 

Good question Rockd. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Posted by Rockdog1293000

I would not be surprised if they took McCourtey at #22.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Alualu makes a visit

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/04/patriots-visited-by-tyson-alualu.html

Reiss on Alualu

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5061908

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What do you all think?  link below to where I got this mock with trade scenario.  I don't think this is a dream scenario, close but not there. 

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/12/2010-dream-patriots-draft.html

Let's get on to our dream scenario... also check out the Patriots 2010 Draft Picks page.

Round 1: 8th Overall
    Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
    Giving the Raiders their 1st round pick in 2011 plus #47 this year lands the #8 pick for the Patriots. McClain would be an instant starter at the SILB position, having played there under Nick Saban. Moving Jerod Mayo to WILB would allow him to make more plays.

Round 1: 22nd Overall
    Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State
    We went into great detail about our love for Odrick, but we're hoping now that he makes it to the 22nd spot, as many teams are interested in the former Nittany Lion's services.

Round 2: 44th Overall
    Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
    Hughes is an incredibly gifted athlete that is still learning the defensive side of the ball. He has the natural ability to play 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, and even play some SILB with some development. Doesn't have the motor/strength issues that Kindle has nor the injury issues that Ricky Sapp has.

Round 2: 53rd Overall
    Andre Roberts, WR, Citadel
    Roberts is an incredibly talented receiver that is fearless going over the middle. He runs solid routes and has a very nice 2nd gear. Tom Brady will love this guy immediately, as he reminds us of Deion Branch at his best.

Round 4:
    Tony Moeaki, TE, Iowa
    Classic NFL TE with great in-line blocking skills and good receiving skills. Should go higher, but hasn't been very durable at Iowa (wrist/head). We feel that he is the best TE in the draft for the Patriots when healthy. With Ben Watson and Chris Baker gone, Moeaki would be a great fit.

Round 6:
    Syd'Quan Thompson, CB, California
    With Leigh Bodden resigned, corner is less of a need. However, the nickel CB position is still a place that the Patriots can improve on. (Wilhite/Wheatley) Thompson is very physical, even with his small size, and has lots of experience in the slot. Can really lay a guy out in run support.

Round 6: (Compensatory)
    Danny Batten, OLB, SDSU
    Would be gunning to be a special-teams star in the mold of Larry Izzo, with the added benefit of developing into a rotational LB. Always a great guy to have around.

Round 7:
    Mike Brandtner, P, Iowa State
    While a punter might not be a sexy pick, they can be useful. Brandtner is great inside the 20 and kicks the ball well in directional situations.

Round 7:
    Jameson Konz, ATH, Kent State
    The Patriots hit big with an athlete from Kent State last year, Konz is a workout superstar that could develop into at least a special-teams demon.

Round 7: (Compensatory)
    Dace Richardson, OG, Iowa
    Lumbering big man that has solid technique and a good understanding of pro-blocking due to his time with Kirk Ferentz.

Tim Hiller, QB, Western Michigan
    Backup caliber quarterback with a decent arm. Good touch on deep balls and solid decision-making.

Kerry Meier, ATH, Kansas
    Meier is a former QB that can play FB/H-Back/WR and probably a few others. Just a good football player.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

mbeaulieu,
    going back to our discussion on this years WR, do u have any thoughts on Damian Williams? i think this kids going to do big things and i want to know wat u think because you seem to know ur info about the draft and id love if u shared ur opinion on him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

What do you all think?  link below to where I got this mock with trade scenario.  I don't think this is a dream scenario, close but not there.  http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/12/2010-dream-patriots-draft.html Let's get on to our dream scenario... also check out the Patriots 2010 Draft Picks page. Round 1: 8th Overall Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama Giving the Raiders their 1st round pick in 2011 plus #47 this year lands the #8 pick for the Patriots. McClain would be an instant starter at the SILB position, having played there under Nick Saban. Moving Jerod Mayo to WILB would allow him to make more plays. Round 1: 22nd Overall Jared Odrick, DL, Penn State We went into great detail about our love for Odrick , but we're hoping now that he makes it to the 22nd spot, as many teams are interested in the former Nittany Lion's services. Round 2: 44th Overall Jerry Hughes , DE/OLB, TCU Hughes is an incredibly gifted athlete that is still learning the defensive side of the ball. He has the natural ability to play 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE, and even play some SILB with some development. Doesn't have the motor/strength issues that Kindle has nor the injury issues that Ricky Sapp has. Round 2: 53rd Overall Andre Roberts , WR, Citadel Roberts is an incredibly talented receiver that is fearless going over the middle. He runs solid routes and has a very nice 2nd gear. Tom Brady will love this guy immediately, as he reminds us of Deion Branch at his best. Round 4: Tony Moeaki , TE, Iowa Classic NFL TE with great in-line blocking skills and good receiving skills. Should go higher, but hasn't been very durable at Iowa (wrist/head). We feel that he is the best TE in the draft for the Patriots when healthy. With Ben Watson and Chris Baker gone, Moeaki would be a great fit. Round 6: Syd'Quan Thompson, CB, California With Leigh Bodden resigned, corner is less of a need. However, the nickel CB position is still a place that the Patriots can improve on. (Wilhite/Wheatley) Thompson is very physical, even with his small size, and has lots of experience in the slot. Can really lay a guy out in run support. Round 6: (Compensatory) Danny Batten, OLB, SDSU Would be gunning to be a special-teams star in the mold of Larry Izzo, with the added benefit of developing into a rotational LB. Always a great guy to have around. Round 7: Mike Brandtner , P, Iowa State While a punter might not be a sexy pick, they can be useful. Brandtner is great inside the 20 and kicks the ball well in directional situations. Round 7: Jameson Konz, ATH, Kent State The Patriots hit big with an athlete from Kent State last year, Konz is a workout superstar that could develop into at least a special-teams demon. Round 7: (Compensatory) Dace Richardson, OG, Iowa Lumbering big man that has solid technique and a good understanding of pro-blocking due to his time with Kirk Ferentz. Round 7: (Compensatory) Tim Hiller, QB, Western Michigan Backup caliber quarterback with a decent arm. Good touch on deep balls and solid decision-making. Round 7: (Compensatory) Kerry Meier, ATH, Kansas Meier is a former QB that can play FB/H-Back/WR and probably a few others. Just a good football player.
    Posted by Pats7393

While I don't think this will happen, I will play along for convo sake.

The defense would certainly be instantly upgraded from both a pass rush/run defense perspective, that's for sure, though I doubt Hughes makes it to 44.  Roberts and Moeaki would provide some good depth and potential instant production on offense and I love the Meier pick late.  Konz is an intriguing athlete and I'd rather see them go OT late vs. taking another guard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

mbeaulieu, going back to our discussion on this years WR, do u have any thoughts on Damian Williams? i think this kids going to do big things and i want to know wat u think because you seem to know ur info about the draft and id love if u shared ur opinion on him
    Posted by TateGroup

Not mb but here's what I think, not as fast as i would like but fast enough to play as a #2 maybe develops into a #1 with time.  Looks as if game speed doesn't match 40 time, for the better he plays faster which to me is more important than 40 in shorts.  Has excellent hands, can go across the middle extends for the ball.  Saw a few SC games and saw him get some WR screens and make some players miss.
    Character is not a concern, he actually established a bible study at USC take that for what you want.  Health might be a slight concern, both shoulders have been operated on but that was in 2007 and only missed time once after for any shoulder related issues.
    Good size I like the pick mid to late 2nd, I think he has all the tools to be a very solid #2.  Because of the style of offense he played in I think he should have a better transition to been a pro WR than others.

Sections
Shortcuts