2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on TE Tony Moeaki from Iowa.  I may have missed it but I haven't seen his name mentioned yet.  He looks like he could be a good all around TE in the league.  The knock on him is that he has durability issues but if he can stay on the field this guy can play.  Looks like he has good speed and can catch the ball.  I've read his blocking is solid but not spectacular but definitely something he can work on.  I did read somewhere the Pats had some interest in him and interviewed him. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on TE Tony Moeaki from Iowa.  I may have missed it but I haven't seen his name mentioned yet.  He looks like he could be a good all around TE in the league.  The knock on him is that he has durability issues but if he can stay on the field this guy can play.  Looks like he has good speed and can catch the ball.  I've read his blocking is solid but not spectacular but definitely something he can work on.  I did read somewhere the Pats had some interest in him and interviewed him. 
    Posted by PatsNut5480

Have not heard anything else other than what you already mentioned.

A name I would watch is a kid from UNH, Scott Sicko TE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : You like Roberts over Tate relative to value at their projected draft positions or as an overall prospect?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

If I can chime in too...

I think I have stated before I don't place the high value on the WR spot. Thats my own personal issue.

With that said. I will make some quick assumptions. Yes I know that is dangerous.

1) I will assume Moss last year
    2) Welker eventually comes back late this or next but the point i assume is at some point he's himself
    3) this ones not really an assumption cause I really believe it. Edleman can play WR not just slot and be every bit as good as givens was
    4) will assume the exisiting tate ends up being a good WR at least as good as gaffney/Givens and possibly closer to Branch
    5) They get a TE who is at least capable of catch 50 passes in a season, whether he has an opportunity for that is another story.

If those things happened AND you got a guy like a Damian Williams or  Andre Roberts or even a different guy who played like a 1-2 receiver(not even a true #1) I think you have more than enough weapons to move the chains consistently and put up points.

I think you would potentially have better weapons than the teams that won the super bowls.

True you don't have a Randy Moss type but why do you need one. He's a special guy and you don't get to many of those in a lifetime anyway.

Also please don't bring up the whole stretch the field thing. Thats' more about demanding additional attention from safeties due to past success more than speed down field. 

I like the game film on both Golden and Thomas but I would prefer not to take either at #22. I won't be upset if they took either cause you just want a good player and they seem to be but I don't mind not drafting for a super star WR. Ending up with one in a later round outside the 1st by chance sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Posted by PatsNut5480

He's a well regarded TE.

Just has a very looooooong injury history.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Matt Jones had some moments but consistently produced like #1 WR before he ran into trouble with the law.  But you made a good point that lots of busts are caused by the deadly combination of money and youth.

Another example along this line: former Celtics A. Walker is now broke after making over $110 millions.  You could rebuild a small country with that kind of money.

Also, Pats, I saw Jones have some monster games where he was just overpowering people to get the ball.  I think he washed out because of personal problems, not ability.  As I remember, he did not have the maturity to deal with sudden wealth, fame of a young athlete.
    Posted by Critter23

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Probably another guy that ends up being a decent pro and wasn't even invited to the combine. Who knows?

Freddie Barnes interview with NFL Draft Geek http://bit.ly/9ZE0QL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : He's a well regarded TE. Just has a very looooooong injury history.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Ya his injury history is a big negative for him.  I saw him play in the Orange bowl and he had a good game (4 catches 85 yards).  There is the Iowa connection so he's someone to watch. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : My issue with Thomas isn't really the route running as much as, how does he perform/produce when teams are scheming to stop him vs. run run run run run run run...hit Thomas over the top on a fade route...run run run run.  How will he adapt to press-man with safety help over the top?  I may be wrong, but you have to assume that defenses were loading up the box to stop Dwyer, Nesbitt and the rest of the ground game first, Thomas second. This is why I personally prefer Tate as he's already proven his worth as an extremely productive "go to" receiver in a pro-style offense with defenses scheming to stop him. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Valid points.  A lot of his plays were over the top or he made man miss and took it the distance.  This doesn't detract from his abilities or athletism which are off the charts for a guy his size.

I was hoping to snag him in the 2nd but I think he comes off in the first for sure, maybe even before our 22.  Besides, BB is not known for taking WRs high, and never in the first.  I just have this feeling it is going to be Kindle, Graham, Sapp or Odrick and not ruling out Gresham or Mathews.

I don't think he'll take Dunlap, too many character ????s

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : You are right, I make the same assumption that there were 8/9 in the box and man on the outside.  I have been reading a ton on Andre Roberts from the Citadel.  The more I read on him the more I think if he played for in a school like ND he would be ranked higher than a 3rd or 4th rnder. Roberts I like as the type of player Tate is, I like Roberts more than I do Tate.  I don't think the Pats draft them both.  They have interviewed Roberts and showed interest in him.  Both are almost identical in Tate 5'10 199 4.42 40 Roberts 5'11 195 4.40 40.  If Roberts is a player they want I don't know they draft two guys with identical skill set, they are both great route runners and can play outside or inside. Because I dont' think they draft two under 6' WRs I have Thomas as a 1st round option.  Now I could be wrong and they choose to move to the Branch and Givens days then you get both Tate and Roberts in the draft.
    Posted by Pats7393

There is a lot of 2-3 round talent at WR.  Roberts will likely climb and go in the 3rd.  I'd be in favor of moving down with one of the 2nds if we can pick up a 3rd and 4th or packaging Thomas and a pick to get into the 3rd.  I think moving Thomas is more about putting him where you want him than getting much in return.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : If I can chime in too... I think I have stated before I don't place the high value on the WR spot. Thats my own personal issue. With that said. I will make some quick assumptions. Yes I know that is dangerous. 1) I will assume Moss last year 2) Welker eventually comes back late this or next but the point i assume is at some point he's himself 3) this ones not really an assumption cause I really believe it. Edleman can play WR not just slot and be every bit as good as givens was 4) will assume the exisiting tate ends up being a good WR at least as good as gaffney/Givens and possibly closer to Branch 5) They get a TE who is at least capable of catch 50 passes in a season, whether he has an opportunity for that is another story. If those things happened AND you got a guy like a Damian Williams or  Andre Roberts or even a different guy who played like a 1-2 receiver(not even a true #1) I think you have more than enough weapons to move the chains consistently and put up points. I think you would potentially have better weapons than the teams that won the super bowls. True you don't have a Randy Moss type but why do you need one. He's a special guy and you don't get to many of those in a lifetime anyway. Also please don't bring up the whole stretch the field thing. Thats' more about demanding additional attention from safeties due to past success more than speed down field.  I like the game film on both Golden and Thomas but I would prefer not to take either at #22. I won't be upset if they took either cause you just want a good player and they seem to be but I don't mind not drafting for a super star WR. Ending up with one in a later round outside the 1st by chance sure.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Although I like Thomas at 22 I would not be shocked if the Pats go smaller at WR, also keep inmind how many big WRs will be FAs next (pending there's a CBA).

Roberts I've already mentioned here two other guys I would like to see as a Patriot who can line up anywhere and help move the chains. 

Taylor Price, 2nd or 3rd rounder 6'1" 204 very productive at Ohio State
    Emmanuel Sanders 5'11" 188 5th or 6th round, explosive kid who is very dangerous after he catches the ball.

I think the depth at WR this year is 3rd to 6th round, some guys who can come in as #3 pending they are smart enough to get into the offense.  There are some raw guys who I would take a chance on with the 6th round pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

For those of you who are interested I will post for you "some" of the biggest risers and fallers in the updated(3-23) Huddle Report Value Board. Keep in mind the big change may be due more to inaccurately being valued in the previous rating than anything else.  

The few in blue are guys I originally stated on here that I thought their initial rating was off and too low and now seems some folks are catching on.

Risers
    Everson Griffen +16 (#20)
    Ryan Mathews +16 (#25)
    Devin McCourtey +24 (#32)
    Charles Brown +16 (#33)
    Kareem Jackson +26 (#44)
    Toby Gerhart +11 (#55)
    Dominique Franks +20 (#54)
    Morgan Burnett +18 (#58)
    Montario Hardesty +35 (#63)
    Tim Tebow +44 (#64)
    Chris Cook +32 (#65)
    Jason Worilds +16 (#67)
    John Jerry +62 (#71)
    Jared Veldheer +29 (#74)
    Taylor Price +42 (#76)
    Carlton Mitchel +26 (#81)
    Ben Tate +29 (#85)
    Jimmy Graham +51 (#87)
    TJ Ward +47 (#90)
    Andre Roberts +29 (#105)
    Clay Harbor +84 (#117)
    James Starks +63 (#138)

Fallers
    Arrelious Benn -21 (#42)
    Brandon LaFell -15 (#47)
    Aaron Hernandez -18 (#60)
    Perrish Cox -39 (#73)
    Eric Norwood -16 (#80)
    Anthony McCoy -20 (#82)
    Mardy Gilyard -27 (#86)
    Riley Cooper -47 (#125)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Hey Asher, Since I am unsure as to which game clips we have both seen I will make a best guess at the ones you are referring to with regards to kindle and Dunlap. As for kindle, I saw something that I could absolutely interpret the way you did. However after seeing him do it on a regular basis I started to look at all those plays again and formed a different opinion.  First let me preface this by saying I never know what a players responsibilities are on any given play. Non of us do, yes even the experts. They think they do but they are not in the meeting for the game plan leading up to the game and not in the defensive or offensive huddle and do not hear the calls. That have a better educated(football wise) guess than us but still are guessing. With that said, it looks to me that on certain plays Kindle fire across the line in what looks like a all out pass rush and jacks up the lineman in front of him. Engages him and sort of stands up himself while extending his arms to keep the blocker at bay while still being engaged. It looks like this is a technique as he often uses this pause to look around the blocker into the backfield and diagnose assess the play before continuing. I thought he made a lot of good decisions while doing this as opposed to many that just go running in wildly and taking themselves out of the play. When those types are successful they make a nice tackle for loss or even get a sack. Problem is when they are not they give up a big play. Kindle may give you a few less TFL or sacks if that's his role(responsibility) but he rarely if ever let a back or qb get more more than a yard or two in any plays I watched. Now for Dunlap, yep I saw those plays where he let up chasing a play away from him. Certainly were some. On others he ran the guy down from behind while going to the other side away from him. Maybe he gives up some intensity when the game seems well in hand? I never paid attention to the score at the time of seeing it.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

You might be right about Kindle using this is as a technique. I will watch some more film tonight after work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : If I can chime in too... I think I have stated before I don't place the high value on the WR spot. Thats my own personal issue. With that said. I will make some quick assumptions. Yes I know that is dangerous. 1) I will assume Moss last year 2) Welker eventually comes back late this or next but the point i assume is at some point he's himself 3) this ones not really an assumption cause I really believe it. Edleman can play WR not just slot and be every bit as good as givens was 4) will assume the exisiting tate ends up being a good WR at least as good as gaffney/Givens and possibly closer to Branch 5) They get a TE who is at least capable of catch 50 passes in a season, whether he has an opportunity for that is another story. If those things happened AND you got a guy like a Damian Williams or  Andre Roberts or even a different guy who played like a 1-2 receiver(not even a true #1) I think you have more than enough weapons to move the chains consistently and put up points. I think you would potentially have better weapons than the teams that won the super bowls. True you don't have a Randy Moss type but why do you need one. He's a special guy and you don't get to many of those in a lifetime anyway. Also please don't bring up the whole stretch the field thing. Thats' more about demanding additional attention from safeties due to past success more than speed down field.  I like the game film on both Golden and Thomas but I would prefer not to take either at #22. I won't be upset if they took either cause you just want a good player and they seem to be but I don't mind not drafting for a super star WR. Ending up with one in a later round outside the 1st by chance sure.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

My comments in red:

I can chime in too...  I think I have stated before I don't place the high value on the WR spot. Thats my own personal issue.  With that said. I will make some quick assumptions. Yes I know that is dangerous.  I’ll play along.  1) I will assume Moss last year.  I agree. 2) Welker eventually comes back late this or next but the point i assume is at some point he's himself.  Tough call as his entire game is predicated on quickness and agility.  I’d question whether or not he’ll ever return the player he was pre-injury. 3) this ones not really an assumption cause I really believe it. Edleman can play WR not just slot and be every bit as good as givens was.  Based on what? 4) will assume the exisiting tate ends up being a good WR at least as good as gaffney/Givens and possibly closer to Branch.  Certianly optimistic as he wasn’t that productive in college and has durability issues.  The upside is there though. 5) They get a TE who is at least capable of catch 50 passes in a season, whether he has an opportunity for that is another story.  It’s possible based on the available talent in this draft class. 

If those things happened AND you got a guy like a Damian Williams or  Andre Roberts or even a different guy who played like a 1-2 receiver(not even a true #1) I think you have more than enough weapons to move the chains consistently and put up points.

I’d rather have a true potential impact player at the position.  I think you would potentially have better weapons than the teams that won the super bowls.  The potential could be there, though it’s tough to argue with the results of Brown, Branch and Givens.  True you don't have a Randy Moss type but why do you need one. He's a special guy and you don't get to many of those in a lifetime anyway I’d agree that you don’t necessarily need a HOF type talent though I’d prefer to see a clear #1 go to receiver.  Also please don't bring up the whole stretch the field thing. Thats' more about demanding additional attention from safeties due to past success more than speed down field. You can’t just dismiss it, how is demanding additional attention not an advantage to the offense?  How is opening up plays underneath not an advantage to the offense?  

I like the game film on both Golden and Thomas but I would prefer not to take either at #22. I won't be upset if they took either cause you just want a good player and they seem to be but I don't mind not drafting for a super star WR. Ending up with one in a later round outside the 1st by chance sure. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

For those of you who are interested I will post for you "some" of the biggest risers and fallers in the updated(3-23) Huddle Report Value Board. Keep in mind the big change may be due more to inaccurately being valued in the previous rating than anything else.   The few in blue are guys I originally stated on here that I thought their initial rating was off and too low and now seems some folks are catching on. Risers Everson Griffen +16 (#20) Ryan Mathews +16 (#25) Devin McCourtey +24 (#32) Charles Brown +16 (#33) Kareem Jackson +26 (#44) Toby Gerhart +11 (#55) Dominique Franks +20 (#54) Morgan Burnett +18 (#58) Montario Hardesty +35 (#63) Tim Tebow +44 (#64) Chris Cook +32 (#65) Jason Worilds +16 (#67) John Jerry +62 (#71) Jared Veldheer +29 (#74) Taylor Price +42 (#76) Carlton Mitchel +26 (#81) Ben Tate +29 (#85) Jimmy Graham +51 (#87) TJ Ward +47 (#90) Andre Roberts +29 (#105) Clay Harbor +84 (#117) James Starks +63 (#138) Fallers Arrelious Benn -21 (#42) Brandon LaFell -15 (#47) Aaron Hernandez -18 (#60) Perrish Cox -39 (#73) Eric Norwood -16 (#80) Anthony McCoy -20 (#82) Mardy Gilyard -27 (#86) Riley Cooper -47 (#125)
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Hey IQ, where do you have Spikes? 

I'm not surprised about Gerhart, Hardest and Tate all moving up.  Gerhart at #44 now would seem fortunate.  If you think of him as the 4th best back as I do and now Mayock agrees, it will be tough for him to get past SD at 40 unless they move up from 28 for Mathews.  I have Best as an early 2nd now so we might be looking at Hardesty, Dwyer or Tate with 48 or 53 if we want a solid back.  Blount is still an option for me at #119 but he might be there in the 6th.

Carlton Mitchel is definitely I guy I've been watching as is Morgan Burnett,  If you want a big, tall WR but don't want to spend a top pick on Thomas, Mitchel could be a solid option.  I was hoping he'd hang around the 4th but looks like he's well into the 3rd now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/3/22/1385501/patriots-prognostication-running?ref=CBS

Interesting article as to what the Pats might do about a RB, for those who want the short version.

The Pats have drafted (other than LM) or picked an UDFA every year.  They come into camp and if they don't work out they are let go.  This year he suggest might be the same.  He doesn't see the Pats taking a RB before the 6th round and if the do in the 6th it will be one that can return kicks and punts. 
    So if that's the case who would it be?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : My comments in red:   I can chime in too...     I think I have stated before I don't place the high value on the WR spot. Thats my own personal issue.     With that said. I will make some quick assumptions. Yes I know that is dangerous .   I’ll play along.     1) I will assume Moss last year.   I agree.   2) Welker eventually comes back late this or next but the point i assume is at some point he's himself.   Tough call as his entire game is predicated on quickness and agility.   I’d question whether or not he’ll ever return the player he was pre-injury.   3) this ones not really an assumption cause I really believe it. Edleman can play WR not just slot and be every bit as good as givens was.   Based on what?   4) will assume the exisiting tate ends up being a good WR at least as good as gaffney/Givens and possibly closer to Branch.   Certianly optimistic as he wasn’t that productive in college and has durability issues.   The upside is there though.   5) They get a TE who is at least capable of catch 50 passes in a season, whether he has an opportunity for that is another story.   It’s possible based on the available talent in this draft class.   If those things happened AND you got a guy like a Damian Williams or   Andre Roberts or even a different guy who played like a 1-2 receiver(not even a true #1) I think you have more than enough weapons to move the chains consistently and put up points.   I’d rather have a true potential impact player at the position.   I think you would potentially have better weapons than the teams that won the super bowls.   The potential could be there, though it’s tough to argue with the results of Brown, Branch and Givens.     True you don't have a Randy Moss type but why do you need one. He's a special guy and you don't get to many of those in a lifetime anyway I’d agree that you don’t necessarily need a HOF type talent though I’d prefer to see a clear #1 go to receiver.     Also please don't bring up the whole stretch the field thing. Thats' more about demanding additional attention from safeties due to past success more than speed down field. You can’t just dismiss it, how is demanding additional attention not an advantage to the offense?   How is opening up plays underneath not an advantage to the offense?     I like the game film on both Golden and Thomas but I would prefer not to take either at #22. I won't be upset if they took either cause you just want a good player and they seem to be but I don't mind not drafting for a super star WR. Ending up with one in a later round outside the 1st by chance sure.  
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

My comments in red:

I can chime in too...  I think I have stated before I don't place the high value on the WR spot. Thats my own personal issue.  With that said. I will make some quick assumptions. Yes I know that is dangerous.  I’ll play along. Thanks for playing along :) 1) I will assume Moss last year.  I agree. 2) Welker eventually comes back late this or next but the point i assume is at some point he's himself.  Tough call as his entire game is predicated on quickness and agility.  I’d question whether or not he’ll ever return the player he was pre-injury. I truly understand your point and agree with the requirement. However, I had my ACL replaced when I was a sophomore in HS. I successfully completed and played D1 hockey and been skating a minimum of three days a week ever since and never had a problem with my ACL. Not many sports require more pivoting and cutting movement than a hockey player, in the knee region. Now if you told me he has meniscus damage to go with that I would be more worried. The cartilage is a bigger problem post repair to hold up. 3) this ones not really an assumption cause I really believe it. Edleman can play WR not just slot and be every bit as good as givens was.  Based on what? Based first on I think that is where they drafted him for. Welkers early troubles in the season forced him more to slot.  He's as tall as Givens and both quicker and faster. In Edleman's 1st season EVER playing WR at the college or pro level he had more catches than Givens did in either of Givens 1st two seasons as a pro. He also did it in fewer games played than either of Givens 1st two seasons. Even if you only gave Edelman only 2 catches per game in the games he missed as an estimate for a full season he would be in the ball park of Givens two best seasons. It's not an exact science of course but I believe he'll be/is good. Givens was an excellent blocking WR though so I kind of forgot about that part. 4) will assume the exisiting tate ends up being a good WR at least as good as gaffney/Givens and possibly closer to Branch.  Certianly optimistic as he wasn’t that productive in college and has durability issues.  The upside is there though. Yeah agreed. Depends if he gets it but talent is there for it and really Gaffney and Givens were avg- better than average receivers so it's like like I am projecting Tate to be a world beater.5) They get a TE who is at least capable of catch 50 passes in a season, whether he has an opportunity for that is another story.  It’s possible based on the available talent in this draft class. 

If those things happened AND you got a guy like a Damian Williams or Andre Roberts or even a different guy who played like a 1-2 receiver(not even a true #1) I think you have more than enough weapons to move the chains consistently and put up points.

I’d rather have a true potential impact player at the position. Agreed. IF it was guaranteed. I think there is a reason we traded for Moss and Welker and did not try to draft the next ones. WR they say may be one of the single toughest positions to project into the Pros and thats why I don't like shooting for a super star. IMO. I think you would potentially have better weapons than the teams that won the super bowls.  The potential could be there, though it’s tough to argue with the results of Brown, Branch and Givens. Always choose my words carefully, "potentially". So agreed. True you don't have a Randy Moss type but why do you need one. He's a special guy and you don't get to many of those in a lifetime anyway I’d agree that you don’t necessarily need a HOF type talent though I’d prefer to see a clear #1 go to receiver.  Without the risk I would to. Also please don't bring up the whole stretch the field thing. Thats' more about demanding additional attention from safeties due to past success more than speed down field. You can’t just dismiss it, how is demanding additional attention not an advantage to the offense?  How is opening up plays underneath not an advantage to the offense?  Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not dismissing it. I was meaning that a drafted guy will take quite some time to develop that respect to demand that kind of attention. I was also meaning that many time people equate Just the height and speed part and forget the respect and deserving part. Like you said tough we had good success with Brown, Branch and Givens and non of those guys were "stretch the field" guys. At least as the phrase is commonly referring to.

I like the game film on both Golden and Thomas but I would prefer not to take either at #22. I won't be upset if they took either cause you just want a good player and they seem to be but I don't mind not drafting for a super star WR. Ending up with one in a later round outside the 1st by chance sure

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/3/22/1385501/patriots-prognostication-running?ref=CBS Interesting article as to what the Pats might do about a RB, for those who want the short version. The Pats have drafted (other than LM) or picked an UDFA every year.  They come into camp and if they don't work out they are let go.  This year he suggest might be the same.  He doesn't see the Pats taking a RB before the 6th round and if the do in the 6th it will be one that can return kicks and punts.  So if that's the case who would it be?
    Posted by Pats7393

I always liked starks, especially because everyone had him graded out around the 6th which I thought was crazy but now seems people are finally going back and looking at his tape before the injury and remembering better.

If he ended up being there in the 6th I like him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Hey IQ, where do you have Spikes?  I'm not surprised about Gerhart, Hardest and Tate all moving up.  Gerhart at #44 now would seem fortunate.  If you think of him as the 4th best back as I do and now Mayock agrees, it will be tough for him to get past SD at 40 unless they move up from 28 for Mathews.  I have Best as an early 2nd now so we might be looking at Hardesty, Dwyer or Tate with 48 or 53 if we want a solid back.  Blount is still an option for me at #119 but he might be there in the 6th. Carlton Mitchel is definitely I guy I've been watching as is Morgan Burnett,  If you want a big, tall WR but don't want to spend a top pick on Thomas, Mitchel could be a solid option.  I was hoping he'd hang around the 4th but looks like he's well into the 3rd now.
    Posted by Faucetman

Me personally I have a hard time getting past his speed or lack there of. His short speed however was not so bad as I think he was in the top performers for LB's in the 3cone? Not sure if I am correct, it was the last entry in the list but better than not on the list at all.

The huddle report did not drop him that much.

Spikes fell -13 to (#51) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Who they have or are working out, what I think of each that I know off:

QUARTERBACKS

Tim Tebow, Florida - Hope not but BB saying he feels if you ask him to play NT he'll play NT might hint to them looking at him for different positions or not.

Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State - I have no idea, draft late develop and trade for a 2nd or 3rd round in two years? lol

Tony Pike, Cincinnati - Would take a 2nd round pick, I don't see it

TIGHT ENDS

Dennis Pitta, BYU - Good pick if it happens, good hands not much of a blocker.

Aaron Hernandez, Florida - Would make since if picked, I'm sure they know all they need to know about him by now.

FULLBACK

Manase Tonga, BYU with law firm I don't see them picking him up

RUNNING BACK

Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss - how high do they pick him?  I think he would add a playmaker at the slot and also a PR.

Ryan Matthews, Fresno State - Stud, sign him although my money is on Gerhart

WIDE RECEIVERS

Damian Williams, USC - Good receiver, IQ this is for you.  He would add depth and a possible solid #2

Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati - Play maker, although I take roberts or tate higher than I would Gilyard.

LINEBACKERS

Ricky Sapp, Clemson - smoke screen or real interest?  If they like him that much they'll trade up in the second to get him

Kavell Conner, Clemson - also worked out for 6 hours along with Sapp, if picked Conner IMO would be a MLB 6'1" 235 not what you think off OLB in a 34.

Matt Mayberry, Indiana - Projected as a late round or UDFA, could be looked at to add depth?  Don't see him as the answer at OLB

Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State 2nd/3rd round grade, highly scouted by most NFL teams.  6'2" 243 4.53 40, will be a rush specialist

DEFENSIVE TACKLES

Jeff Owens, Georgia projected as a DE 4th rnd, 6'1" 304 not ideal size. 

Ricardo Matthews, Cincinnati UDFA DE, 6'3" 290
    Corey Peters, Kentucky I would like this pick in the 6th round, very productive and durable player at DE

DEFENSIVE END

Alex Daniels, Cincinnati would need to transition to OLB, late round projection 6'2" 270

CORNERBACK

Sherrick McManis, Northwestern KR? averaged 22.5 yards per return in college

Nolan Carroll, Maryland good size 6'0" 205, a talented CB but missed 2009 with a leg injury.  Ran at his pro day a 4.36 40 so could be a move to look at possible PR/KR although when he played I read he was a good CB aggressive and sure tackler.

SAFETY

Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech my man! Really hope the Pats draft him.

http://www.csnne.com/pages/v1_landing_patriots/?blockID=200550&feedID=3395

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Video clips of players we talk about with regards to the Patriots here...

Official New England Patriots - Media Center http://bit.ly/dtpd3O

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

According to BB they've worked out 212 players so far, which is 10x the number you have listed. 

Who they have or are working out: QUARTERBACKS Tim Tebow, Florida Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State Tony Pike, Cincinnati TIGHT ENDS Dennis Pitta, BYU Aaron Hernandez, Florida FULLBACK Manase Tonga, BYU RUNNING BACK Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss Ryan Matthews, Fresno State WIDE RECEIVERS Damian Williams, USC Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati LINEBACKERS Ricky Sapp, Clemson Kavell Conner, Clemson Matt Mayberry, Indiana Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State DEFENSIVE TACKLES Jeff Owens, Georgia Ricardo Matthews, Cincinnati Corey Peters, Kentucky DEFENSIVE END Alex Daniels, Cincinnati CORNERBACK Sherrick McManis, Northwestern  Nolan Carroll, Maryland SAFETY Cam Chancellor, Virginia Tech
    Posted by Pats7393

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/3/22/1385501/patriots-prognostication-running?ref=CBS Interesting article as to what the Pats might do about a RB, for those who want the short version. The Pats have drafted (other than LM) or picked an UDFA every year.  They come into camp and if they don't work out they are let go.  This year he suggest might be the same.  He doesn't see the Pats taking a RB before the 6th round and if the do in the 6th it will be one that can return kicks and punts.  So if that's the case who would it be?
    Posted by Pats7393

Pats,

That was a depressing article, but true.  It is also likely true of WR and QB positions also.

What would our mock look like if no WR, QB or RBs were allowed until the 6th round based on the trends of Mr. Belichick?  I'll go work on mine now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Who they have or are working out: QUARTERBACKS Tim Tebow, Florida Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State Tony Pike, Cincinnati TIGHT ENDS Dennis Pitta, BYU Aaron Hernandez, Florida FULLBACK Manase Tonga, BYU RUNNING BACK Dexter McCluster, Ole Miss Ryan Matthews, Fresno State WIDE RECEIVERS Damian Williams, USC Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati LINEBACKERS Ricky Sapp, Clemson Kavell Conner, Clemson Matt Mayberry, Indiana Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State DEFENSIVE TACKLES Jeff Owens, Georgia Ricardo Matthews, Cincinnati Corey Peters, Kentucky DEFENSIVE END Alex Daniels, Cincinnati CORNERBACK Sherrick McManis, Northwestern  Nolan Carroll, Maryland SAFETY Cam Chancellor, Virginia Tech
    Posted by Pats7393

Ryan Mathews is the only consensus first round pick of the bunch.  Sapp, maybe but that is still a big MAYBE for me.  The Pats have looked at a slew of 2nd round talent in Tebow, Pitta, Hernandez, McCluster, Damian Williams, Sapp and maybe Gilyard.

I find it interesting that they haven't looked at the top 2 rated TEs both of which should be there at #22.  Could this mean they will wait until the 2nd?  Also, they didn't look at a single highly rated DE or DT.  According to this no one from the OL?  This can't be a complete list.  I'm pretty sure I read that the met with Odrick, Dan Williams, and Rodger Saffold.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

According to BB they've worked out 212 players so far, which is 10x the number you have listed.  In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

don't know why only these were listed, BB also said between the combine pro days so not all 212 were private workouts but don't know all 212 if someone has that list I'll like to see it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I would like to see the Pats go back to an offense that uses more of a ground attack along with the short passing game.  They were very successful with this type of offense during their super bowl runs but somehow got away from it.  I know the league is now pass happy but the best defense is having a strong running game that eats away at the clock.  I could definitely see them going after someone like a Matthews, Gerhart, Blount, Tate, or Hardesty.  I think they do need to target an offensive lineman who can help in the run game (Pouncey/Asamoah/Saffold).  I don't think throwing the ball up to Moss is going to work much anymore.  If they could build on their defense up along with a strong running game and throw in a possesion receiver/tight end (Damian Williams/Eric Decker/Aaron Hernandez) who can move the chains I think they will be in good shape.