2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

Faucet: Like I said in my previous post, BB said they've worked out 212 players so far. My point is that we have no clue who they've worked out unless the info finds it's way onto the net. You can't speculate on their interest based on a list of 10% of the players that they've worked out. I know for a fact that I read a report that said the Pats worked out 5 FlA gator and I know they looked at Graham and another pass rusher at the Senior bowl.

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Ryan Mathews is the only consensus first round pick of the bunch.  Sapp, maybe but that is still a big MAYBE for me.  The Pats have looked at a slew of 2nd round talent in Tebow, Pitta, Hernandez, McCluster, Damian Williams, Sapp and maybe Gilyard. I find it interesting that they haven't looked at the top 2 rated TEs both of which should be there at #22.  Could this mean they will wait until the 2nd?  Also, they didn't look at a single highly rated DE or DT.  According to this no one from the OL?  This can't be a complete list.  I'm pretty sure I read that the met with Odrick, Dan Williams, and Rodger Saffold.
    Posted by Faucetman

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/3/22/1385501/patriots-prognostication-running?ref=CBS Interesting article as to what the Pats might do about a RB, for those who want the short version. The Pats have drafted (other than LM) or picked an UDFA every year.  They come into camp and if they don't work out they are let go.  This year he suggest might be the same.  He doesn't see the Pats taking a RB before the 6th round and if the do in the 6th it will be one that can return kicks and punts.  So if that's the case who would it be?
    Posted by Pats7393

What about RB Safon Johnson, I still thinkhe would be a great pick up in the late rounds, or RB Alfonso Smith

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet: Like I said in my previous post, BB said they've worked out 212 players so far. My point is that we have no clue who they've worked out unless the info finds it's way onto the net. You can't speculate on their interest based on a list of 10% of the players that they've worked out. I know for a fact that I read a report that said the Pats worked out 5 FlA gator and I know they looked at Graham and another pass rusher at the Senior bowl. In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Rock,

Like I said, that can't be a complete list.  As much as we'd like to, we just won't be able to learn anything about what the Pats are thinking.  I'm sure the other 31 teams would like to know too and they are in a better position than us fans.  The smoke screen will be coming out thick now anyway so it's best not to even try to read anything into these visits/work outs.  I do find it interesting studying how BB approaches certain positions like RB and WR.  Other than LM, he hasn't drafted any RB before the 6th round.  WR is the most often position drafted in the first round since 2000 with 46 selections but BB never took one.  He took 3 in the 2nd and there is depth in the 2nd.  But BB is about as unpredictable as they come and nothing would shock me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Completely agree. I'm sure other teams have a much better idea based on scouting networks and heresy that are much more developed than us fans.

I also agree regarding his targets (big guys who can move round 1 (predominantly DL), WR round 2, and so on). I know they have people doing statistics for the Pats and the stats must indicate that the probability of finding a stud receiver is high in round 2. I wouldn't be surprised if they selected a WR in round 2 (especially since they have 3 picks in Rd 2). 

One trend that I think it worthwhile is the second round rb. I was thinking Matthews would be a great fit in that position, but he's really rocketed up the charts since he's more of a prototypical 3 down back than Best and Spiller. 

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Rock, Like I said, that can't be a complete list.  As much as we'd like to, we just won't be able to learn anything about what the Pats are thinking.  I'm sure the other 31 teams would like to know too and they are in a better position than us fans.  The smoke screen will be coming out thick now anyway so it's best not to even try to read anything into these visits/work outs.  I do find it interesting studying how BB approaches certain positions like RB and WR.  Other than LM, he hasn't drafted any RB before the 6th round.  WR is the most often position drafted in the first round since 2000 with 46 selections but BB never took one.  He took 3 in the 2nd and there is depth in the 2nd.  But BB is about as unpredictable as they come and nothing would shock me.
    Posted by Faucetman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Considering all things, I think the Pats will take Mathews if he is there at 22 or they will trade to SD so they can take Mathews.  Maroney can't be BB's choice for the future and you don't often have the chance to get who could be the best back in the draft. 

I also think there is a 50/50 chance if we don't take Mathews or a WR that we take McCluster in the 2nd.  BB loves players that are versitale and he loved David Meggett so this kid is sure to bring back memories.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I would think a trade is more likely. I can see BB targeting a few players they can practically get with their picks and maneuvering a bunch to get those guys. This could involve trading away some picks or gaining extra picks. I compare it to the 2003 draft where they picked up Warren, Wilson, Johnson, Samual, and Koppen. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I advocate them picking the best pass rusher possible with their top pick. I just think their version of the 3-4 D is faulty against the pass without quality rushers at DE and OLB. I'd love to see a combo of Graham or Kimble (if the guys not too much of an idiot...crashing your car while texting is extremely dumb) with Carrington or Alualu. In my superficial analysis I just think they'd be good additions to the D. Pick a WR and OL with the other two picks and some holes could be filled. I don't place a premium on a top TE because they haven't really featured them in the passing game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

I would think a trade is more likely. I can see BB targeting a few players they can practically get with their picks and maneuvering a bunch to get those guys. This could involve trading away some picks or gaining extra picks. I compare it to the 2003 draft where they picked up Warren, Wilson, Johnson, Samual, and Koppen.  I know I'm in the minority, but I advocate them picking the best pass rusher possible with their top pick. I just think their version of the 3-4 D is faulty against the pass without quality rushers at DE and OLB. I'd love to see a combo of Graham or Kimble (if the guys not too much of an idiot...crashing your car while texting is extremely dumb) with Carrington or Alualu. In my superficial analysis I just think they'd be good additions to the D. Pick a WR and OL with the other two picks and some holes could be filled. I don't place a premium on a top TE because they haven't really featured them in the passing game. 
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

We need two starting OLBs and one starting DE.  With a deep draft and four picks in the first two rounds, we can achieve this goal. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Several weeks back, Todd McShay did an hour-long interview on the draft on WEEI.  One of the points he made was that the Pats are one of the best at evaluating and drafting defensive players and OL but one of the worst at drafting offensive skill position

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

Completely agree. I'm sure other teams have a much better idea based on scouting networks and heresy that are much more developed than us fans. I also agree regarding his targets (big guys who can move round 1 (predominantly DL), WR round 2, and so on). I know they have people doing statistics for the Pats and the stats must indicate that the probability of finding a stud receiver is high in round 2. I wouldn't be surprised if they selected a WR in round 2 (especially since they have 3 picks in Rd 2).  One trend that I think it worthwhile is the second round rb. I was thinking Matthews would be a great fit in that position, but he's really rocketed up the charts since he's more of a prototypical 3 down back than Best and Spiller.  In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Bill Belichick loves versatility in a player.

Bill Belichick loves high-character guys who are team players with an undying love of football.

Bill Belichick has a bit of a personal relationship with Tim Tebow.

So could Tebow, Gainesville God and the greatest winner in college football end up playing for Belichick?

We will find out in a little over a month, when the NFL Draft is conducted, but Belichick was quick to offer praise to Florida's favorite son this morning.

"Great career, great player," Belichick said when Tebow's name was brought up.

Of his much-ballyhooed flawed throwing motion, which Tebow has been working to change for several weeks, Belichick said, "I think it's obvious that in the last six weeks, his mechanics, he's worked on them and they've improved, which is a credit to him. He's very coachable and he works very hard. I'm sure that whatever he feels he needs to do he'll work very hard at, whatever that is. Athletically, he tested very well at the Combine, which you can see on the field."

Though Tebow continues to work on his throwing motion -- he holds the ball too low, by his hip, when he's waiting to pass where defenders would easily be able to smack it out of his hand -- there is talk that he may be asked to play a different position in the NFL.

Belichick believes a change wouldn't be an issue.

"My sense of Tim Tebow is that if you asked him to play nose (tackle), he'd play nose. I think he's that kind of kid, where whatever you ask him to do he'll do," Belichick said. "He's a real interesting player. He's had a great career, obviously it speaks for itself. He's had tremendous production, they hardly ever lose. He's a good kid.

"There's a lot to like about him."

Am i still making things up kockdog you numb nut f*ck!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree to an extent. I think you need one quality pass rusher and one guy who can do a little better than Woods. Jason Taylor might be a decent OLB, but he certainly didn't impress me last year against the Pats. 

Someone else on this thread mentioned that a DE that is a plus pass rusher that could also stop the run would be a huge addition, and I agree with that. Warren simply hasn't gotten to the QB since his contract while Wright can be run against but can get to the QB. Having a guy who can do both would do wonders.

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : We need two starting OLBs and one starting DE.  With a deep draft and four picks in the first two rounds, we can achieve this goal. 
    Posted by TrustBill

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Wow tough words seanblaze. That speaks of your high character and intelligence. By the way, where did you get the name kockdog? Only your mother can call me that. Douch*e. 

It's a freakin football discussion board! Just because I think Tebow has very little NFL upside doesn't mean I am personally attacking you! We all can have opinions, and it's legal to have the opinion that Tebow can't walk on water.

In terms of Belichick's statement, do you really think that means Tebow is high on his board? Give me an example of BB speaking highly of a player and then drafting him. I think it's more likely a smokescreen. BB is a guy that is very tight-lipped, and I don't think he'd be indicating interest of any player in the top 60 on their board. 

Sorry about the mother comment but there's no need to act like a tough guy on an internet chat board. I'm going to drop it because you're probably 18 years old...

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Bill Belichick loves versatility in a player. Bill Belichick loves high-character guys who are team players with an undying love of football. Bill Belichick has a bit of a personal relationship with Tim Tebow. So could Tebow, Gainesville God and the greatest winner in college football end up playing for Belichick? We will find out in a little over a month, when the NFL Draft is conducted, but Belichick was quick to offer praise to Florida's favorite son this morning. "Great career, great player," Belichick said when Tebow's name was brought up. Of his much-ballyhooed flawed throwing motion, which Tebow has been working to change for several weeks, Belichick said, "I think it's obvious that in the last six weeks, his mechanics, he's worked on them and they've improved, which is a credit to him. He's very coachable and he works very hard. I'm sure that whatever he feels he needs to do he'll work very hard at, whatever that is. Athletically, he tested very well at the Combine, which you can see on the field."   Though Tebow continues to work on his throwing motion -- he holds the ball too low, by his hip, when he's waiting to pass where defenders would easily be able to smack it out of his hand -- there is talk that he may be asked to play a different position in the NFL. Belichick believes a change wouldn't be an issue. "My sense of Tim Tebow is that if you asked him to play nose (tackle), he'd play nose. I think he's that kind of kid, where whatever you ask him to do he'll do," Belichick said. "He's a real interesting player. He's had a great career, obviously it speaks for itself. He's had tremendous production, they hardly ever lose. He's a good kid. "There's a lot to like about him." Am i still making things up kockdog you numb nut f*ck!
    Posted by seanblaze

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Okay, here's my first pass with all our new found picks.  A bit of a surprise at the top.  Probably too many picks to make the team.  May want to trade some.

#28 (from SD) CB Devin McCourty (SD moves up to get Mathews)

#44 RB Jahvid Best
    #47 OLB Ricky Sapp

#53 TE Aaron Hernandez
    #92 (from SD) MLB Brandon Spikes

#119 WR Andre Roberts

#190 OT Tony Washington

#205 QB/WR Joe Webb

#229 WR Danario Alexander

#231 OG Shelley Smith

#247 TE Scott Sicko

#248 DE George Johnson

#250 DT Brandon Deaderick

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This thread has been immature post/name calling/online tough guy free for 2500+ posts, lets keep it that way.

If you're hear for serious football talk, welcome.

If you're here to talk smack, beat it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Faucet, thats an excellent draft.

The only change I might make is Dunlap @ #28.

After watching more video on him, I think he could be a monster of a DE.

Always double and triple teamed, yet managed to make plays.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Some evaluators say Tony Washington is a top 10 talent.

If not for his off the field serious transgression when he was a teenager.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

Wow tough words seanblaze. That speaks of your high character and intelligence. By the way, where did you get the name kockdog? Only your mother can call me that. Douch*e.  It's a freakin football discussion board! Just because I think Tebow has very little NFL upside doesn't mean I am personally attacking you! We all can have opinions, and it's legal to have the opinion that Tebow can't walk on water. In terms of Belichick's statement, do you really think that means Tebow is high on his board? Give me an example of BB speaking highly of a player and then drafting him. I think it's more likely a smokescreen. BB is a guy that is very tight-lipped, and I don't think he'd be indicating interest of any player in the top 60 on their board.  Sorry about the mother comment but there's no need to act like a tough guy on an internet chat board. I'm going to drop it because you're probably 18 years old... In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

The 1st post i made a week ago about BB's admiration for TT with specific quotes(before BB praised TT again this week) you called me a liar & told me i made them up. Just bc you're not up on your Patriot on goings that is not my fault. You called me out & i have facts up the wazoo for you friendo. Your an elitist, your an elitist who doesnt know....Get your facts straight!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

This thread has been immature post/name calling/online tough guy free for 2500+ posts, lets keep it that way. If you're hear for serious football talk, welcome. If you're here to talk smack, beat it.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I couldn't agree more mb, this has been a great thread and to keep it that way.  We have all shared our views points opinions and discussed no need to anything other than that here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Did anyone see Mayock tonight?  Says they Pats will probably draft thomas if he's available at 22.  He's not in the Patriots draft room but do think he's pretty knowledgeable specially when he agrees with me lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Considering all things, I think the Pats will take Mathews if he is there at 22 or they will trade to SD so they can take Mathews.  Maroney can't be BB's choice for the future and you don't often have the chance to get who could be the best back in the draft.  I also think there is a 50/50 chance if we don't take Mathews or a WR that we take McCluster in the 2nd.  BB loves players that are versitale and he loved David Meggett so this kid is sure to bring back memories.
    Posted by Faucetman

Sorry the RB scares me as much as the WR at #22.

The problem with projecting the running back class and the possibly best RB in the draft thing is think to 2006.

#2 Reggie Bush --> CJ Spiller
    #21 Laurence Maroney --> Ryan Mathews

Now I am not comparing them to those players NOW but forget what we know now cause that part is easy. Imagine you know nothing about the guys in the league now and remember the hype and "projections" coming out.

The other two 1st rounders that year. Joseph Addai and DeAngelo Williams.

ONLY one of the four has been better than pretty good.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Sean, 

First off I agree with MB and I'll stop the name calling regardless of what happens. 

Your post last week said BB loved him and you cited an article that had a very vague quote. The quote today was much different in that he he out of his way to support Tebow. He never said something like 'He's had a great career, he's a great player' prior to today. I thought the article you referenced was kind of weak to be honest to start another Tebow post. Just my opinion. 

I'm not an elitist and I love following the Pats. I can see why people love Tebow, but I think the huge amount of attention really skews how people value him in the draft. To be honest, I think he's the Dan Klecko of qb's. Really great locker room guy, good upbringing, but doesn't have a high enough ceiling to be special at any position. Belichick loved Klecko while he was on the team, but you can't coach being naturally talented. He was versatile and I'm sure he worked incredibly hard to be a 3-4 nose, end, and full back but he was never a big performer ultimately. I just see a similar fate for Tebow. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. Belichick may love him and pick him at 22 for all I know. I just don't think it'll happen. For a guy that in known at tight-lipped it makes me suspicious that he was trying to support the FLA program and/or Tebow. I mean, if Belichick loved a guy like Golden Tate for example, do you think he'd be saying how great a player he is? I don't. I would think he'd give some vague/Belichick special type answer and avoid the subject in the fear that some other team would leap frog the Pats to pick Tate. 

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : The 1st post i made a week ago about BB's admiration for TT with specific quotes(before BB praised TT again this week) you called me a liar & told me i made them up. Just bc you're not up on your Patriot on goings that is not my fault. You called me out & i have facts up the wazoo for you friendo. Your an elitist, your an elitist who doesnt know....Get your facts straight!
    Posted by seanblaze

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

It won't happen again Pats. Sorry to divert the thread.

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I couldn't agree more mb, this has been a great thread and to keep it that way.  We have all shared our views points opinions and discussed no need to anything other than that here.
    Posted by Pats7393

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Several weeks back, Todd McShay did an hour-long interview on the draft on WEEI.  One of the points he made was that the Pats are one of the best at evaluating and drafting defensive players and OL but one of the worst at drafting offensive skill position
    Posted by TrustBill

Yeah but that's not enlightening. All you have to do is be a fan and follow the team and the success of their prospects. It's basically just stating a fact.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

This thread has been immature post/name calling/online tough guy free for 2500+ posts, lets keep it that way. If you're hear for serious football talk, welcome. If you're here to talk smack, beat it.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Thank You, Bump That!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Did anyone see Mayock tonight?  Says they Pats will probably draft thomas if he's available at 22.  He's not in the Patriots draft room but do think he's pretty knowledgeable specially when he agrees with me lol
    Posted by Pats7393

They very well might...

BUT he knows absolutely NOTHING MORE than we do about who the Pats will take.

Very funny though Pats!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

If Tebow is there in round 4, grab him! Personally i like OLB Graham from Michigan @ 22, Or Odrick DE from PSU. I hope Tate drops to the 2nd round, if not get on the horn with Denver & see what we can do to bring Marshall to town.....

We need a grab a burner @ RB too in the 2nd.......What are the chances CJ Spiller drops???