2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

Another CB visit:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/UConn-CB-Robert-McClain-getting-a-little-buzz.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Pats, I like a lot of the kids in your mock, but I don't agree with taking two WR's in rd 2. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I agree

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : The difference being Moss and Dillon were disgruntled because they were part of losing organizations, what is Thomas' reasoning?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Discipline.  Lovie Smith is a players coach. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think you may be onto something. AD had a pretty good 08 until he got injured. I remember the defense performed much worse after his injury and they eventually had to bring back Rosie after Woods broke his jaw. I also remember he tried to play a few plays with a broken arm! Remember that? I was thinking what a gamer this guy is? What a leader! Then this year AD is healthy but isn't a contributer at all. I can't explain how he fell off the earth. AD talked about a meeting after the Bills game where Bill might've taken away some responsibilities. Maybe AD took badly to the hard coaching and let his bad attitude affect his play and the other players on the team. 

Wouldn't it be great if they could just have a few beers together and work things out with the result being AD of the first half of 08 comes back? I know it won't happen but one can dream...

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Discipline.  Lovie Smith is a players coach. 
    Posted by Faucetman

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Getting Graham is a pipe dream.  Too many teams in front of us needing DEs.  I still go back to BB loving to draft DL in the first round.  You had Seymour, Warren and Wilfork.  We are stacked with interior linemen.  We have only one 5 tech in Warren.  Odrick has to be the choice because there really isn't any decent options in the draft.  I think the recent criticisms of Odrick are overblown.  Ideally we'd drop down to #28 where he would be better value and before the Jets get him.

#22 DT Jared Odrick  6-5, 305, 5.03.  A tenacious team leader who was named 2009 Big Ten defensive player and defensive lineman of the year.  We can't go a 2nd year without replacing Seymour.
    #44 OT Rodger Saffold  Everything starts up front on both sides of the ball.  With Light and Neal ending their tenure in NE soon and the contract situation of Mankins, an insurance policy is needed.  There will be a run on OTs and this guy won't last as long as currently projected.  Saffold could be one of the top OTs in the draft who can play at LG.  If Mankins is extended before the draft then I go with OLB Koa Misi or a different direction.
    #48 RB Dexter McCluster  Three for one pick.  Can be used as a 3rd down back (heir apparent to Faulk), as a slot receiver and as a kick returner.  All three areas need upgrading.  I just love the kid and I think BB does too.
    #53 TE Dennis Pitta  One of the biggest need position and Pitta is a plug and play TE displaying perhaps the best hands at the position.  He's the safest TE after Gresham in my book.
    #119 OLB Lindsey Whitten  6-5, 250, 4.70, Right place to take a conversion type.  Low risk, high reward.  Has the prototypical size and speed you want from an edge rusher.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEMike. Show NEMike's posts

Just one name for one pick for me...........Sergio Kindle.  An immediate starter and one mean SOB as a pass rusher.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Patriots Hold Workout with Emmanuel Sanders  http://tinyurl.com/y88ygk5

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Just one name for one pick for me........... Sergio Kindle.   An immediate starter and one mean SOB as a pass rusher.
    Posted by NEMike

Most have him as a top 20, I don't think he'll get to the Pats at 22.  I would say if he's there at 22 he's an option.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Pats, I like a lot of the kids in your mock, but I don't agree with taking two WR's in rd 2. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I think you are right,

#22 Brandon Graham OLB 6'2" 266 Will start day 1 on the weakside, will bring toughness back to the D along with double digit sacks.
    #44 Lamarr Houston DE 6'3" 305finds a home taking over RS spot
    #47 Rodger Saffold OT 6'5" 316 he can start at RT this year, 4 year starter at LT.  I have a feeling Light will be traded to the Bears, they don't have a 1st or 2nd rnd picks and have a very bad OL.  They could use an older but still serviseble LT, he is better than anything they have.   
    #53 Andre Roberts WR 5'11" 195adds depth and a playmaker to the WR group.  Will compete with Tate for the 2 spot.
    #120  Ben Tate RB 5'11" 221bye bye LM 
    6th rnd Daniel Te'O Nesheim OLB 6'4" 263
    I hope the Pats move into the 5th because I think that's what it will take to get him.
    6th rnd (comp) Joe Webb WR/RB 6'3" 223converted QB, BB looks to strike gold with another converted QB at WR.  Impressive numbers at his pro day, they compare with Calvin Johnson.  Doesn't mean a 11'5" broad jump or a 42" vertical or a 4.44 40 says anything about him been able to catch the ball but he is an athlete.  Did participate in WR drills at the senior bowl to show he can play the position, for two years straight he threw for over 2200 yards and ran for a 1000.
    7th Rnd Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251Kid posted great numbers at his pro day where only the Pats were present.  UNH player who put up good numbers has the hands to become the pass catching TE we don't have, 2009 57 catches 725 yards and 9 TDs.  Has the speed to spread out as a WR, 4.53 40.
    7th Rnd  Nolan Carroll CB 6'1" 204good cover CB, broke his leg early in the season but his medical came back ok at the combine.  I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in with a fire in his belly and gets wihtley on the bench.  Fast strong and can cover why in the 7th? He doesn't have many starts, 6 in his career only two years as a CB converted WR.  Plays well in the nickle.
    7th (comp) Alfonso Smith RB 6'0" 210Does not have impressive numbers but has a ton of upside, if not drafted he'll be signed 2 minutes after draft is over.  Can catch the ball and be a KR.  Ran a 4.38 40 at 210lbs.
    7th (comp) Jeff Cumberland TE 6'4" 255
    7th (comp) Doug Worthington DE 6'5" 292 adds depth and maybe a starter in a year or two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

pats7393...I like your new mock, especially the first 3 picks. 

I think we need to game plan around the Jets. We are going to be fighting tooth and nail to win the division next year, and the Jets I think will not be 1 hit wonder that some predict. I think their defense and running game is as good as they produced....which is good. I don't think Sanchez will make a huge leap this year, so they still rely mostly on running game.

Therefore, I think beefing up our run defense is paramount. THat is why I like your Graham and Houston picks. I think they will add toughness to the front 7 and can stifle with Jets run game in addition to our existing group. If you can smother the Jets run game, and score some points, I think you beat them. 

That takes me to pick 53. Although I like Roberts, I think there are about 2-3 WR's that are better and could be here that should be taken in this spot. DWilliams, LaFell, Benn. Perhaps even flip flop 53 & 47..use 47 on the WR and 53 on Saffold. I like the Saffold pick because he gives us versatility and with that, we have options for draft day trades....

I know a lot of us love Graham and I'm not sure why he gets the "he is too small" routing for the Pats defense....afterall, he is only 1 inch shorter than AD, and we backed up the brinks truck to get him to play OLB. So, I don't buy he doesn't fit the mold discussion. If Graham is on the board at 22, I think the Pats draft him. 

I know a lot of us are high on drafting a DE to replace Sey...I'm not sure Houston is Sey, but what is the drop off say from Odrick to Houston?....They are roughly same size, with Odrick 2 inches taller, but can they both play the 5 tech adequately, or more than adequately?.....If so, I like the houston pick because it gives us options in round 1.

Can't argue with your other picks as i think they are solid. However, would like to see Edelman's boy from Kent State in the mix in the latter rounds. His pro day was amazing...a 6'4", 230 guy running a 4.4 is crazy. He could add depth at WR/TE spots.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pats7393...I like your new mock, especially the first 3 picks.  I think we need to game plan around the Jets. We are going to be fighting tooth and nail to win the division next year, and the Jets I think will not be 1 hit wonder that some predict. I think their defense and running game is as good as they produced....which is good. I don't think Sanchez will make a huge leap this year, so they still rely mostly on running game. Therefore, I think beefing up our run defense is paramount. THat is why I like your Graham and Houston picks. I think they will add toughness to the front 7 and can stifle with Jets run game in addition to our existing group. If you can smother the Jets run game, and score some points, I think you beat them.  That takes me to pick 53. Although I like Roberts, I think there are about 2-3 WR's that are better and could be here that should be taken in this spot. DWilliams, LaFell, Benn. Perhaps even flip flop 53 & 47..use 47 on the WR and 53 on Saffold. I like the Saffold pick because he gives us versatility and with that, we have options for draft day trades.... I know a lot of us love Graham and I'm not sure why he gets the "he is too small" routing for the Pats defense....afterall, he is only 1 inch shorter than AD, and we backed up the brinks truck to get him to play OLB. So, I don't buy he doesn't fit the mold discussion. If Graham is on the board at 22, I think the Pats draft him.  I know a lot of us are high on drafting a DE to replace Sey...I'm not sure Houston is Sey, but what is the drop off say from Odrick to Houston?....They are roughly same size, with Odrick 2 inches taller, but can they both play the 5 tech adequately, or more than adequately?.....If so, I like the houston pick because it gives us options in round 1. Can't argue with your other picks as i think they are solid. However, would like to see Edelman's boy from Kent State in the mix in the latter rounds. His pro day was amazing...a 6'4", 230 guy running a 4.4 is crazy. He could add depth at WR/TE spots.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Thanks, I can see Roberts not been the high value at 53 but I think with what he would bring will be considered a steal in a few years.  He's an amazing athlete and from a military school, before I gave him a high mark I've been looking for the dirt and can't find anything if there is I'll like to know.

He can do it all, he was thrown 383 passes in his career at Citadel and droped 6 that's a incomplete % of 1.56%!

here's all you want to know about the kid.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1662379?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

For the Pats having to stay with the Jets, I agree!  We need start ready players on both sides.  Graham gives you what IMO is the surrest OLB in the draft, I picked Houston over Alualu because I think he brings a bit more stopping the run while not giving much in creating a pass rush from the DE spot and most important I think Alualu will be gone by 44.  I also don't think there's such a huge drop from Odrick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Kiper looks at Pats 2nd-round options January, 27, 2010 By Mike Reiss ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper breaks down team needs for all AFC teams and in the process identifies players who might be on the radar in the second and third round of the draft. The piece can be seen here (Insider content). Kiper lists the Patriots' top needs as defensive end, outside linebacker, running back, wide receiver and offensive line. As far as possible targets in the second and third round, he identifies the following players: DE Greg Hardy (Mississippi) RB Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) OT Charles Brown (Southern Cal) LB Sean Weatherspoon (Missouri) WR Brandon LaFell (Louisiana State) WR Damian Williams (Southern Cal) QB Tim Tebow (Florida) "The Patriots are set up for a huge weekend, with lots of high-value picks in a deep draft," Kiper writes.
    Posted by Rocky

Kyper is such a dolt... Those players he listed my 12 year old neice could have come up with but I will bet you not one of those players will be taken by the Patriots! NOT O-N-E!... as far as positions of need any dolt could come up with that as well.

Branden Lafell is the only one they might think about but not in the first or second only if they pick up a 3rd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

How much better does everyone think Odrick is vs. Lamarr Houston? I would almost rather see us take Graham/Kindle (if available at 22), then get Houston later. Then we can add Arrelious Benn (great pro day), Saffold for line reinforcement, and Ben Tate/Montario Hardesty...getting rid of Taylor/Morris.

One in, two out, would allow for some of our later picks to stick with the team.

What I really don't want to see again this year, is available players not being selected, then seeing them shine somewhere else. People say wouldn't fit in our scheme...I think that's bs....Cushing and Matthews would have had good seasons in NE, as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Discipline.  Lovie Smith is a players coach. 
    Posted by Faucetman

I think he's more disgruntled over his own perception of his talent and potential vs. BB's perception.

I think it's an ego thing, he thinks he's better than he is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I think he's more disgruntled over his own perception of his talent and potential vs. BB's perception. I think it's an ego thing, he thinks he's better than he is.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I would agree. He most very obviously can not handle any sort of constructive criticism/coaching.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

It's compulsory that I sound like a parrot every so often.  I really enjoy the mocks you guys are throwing up there and seldom disagree on any of these recurrent names.  The point that's apparent is we have a chance for a great draft if we prepare properly.  Question:  How many 7th round selections do we have that we can trade?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

It's compulsory that I sound like a parrot every so often.  I really enjoy the mocks you guys are throwing up there and seldom disagree on any of these recurrent names.  The point that's apparent is we have a chance for a great draft if we prepare properly.  Question:  How many 7th round selections do we have that we can trade?
    Posted by Critter23

2 that can be traded, that leaves 3 comp that we must use.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Josh Reed-WR- BillsMar. 25 - 10:14 am et
    The player rep for WR Josh Reed conceded that it's "highly unlikely" the free agent will sign with the Patriots.
    It's just a poor fit. Reed works best out of the slot, where the Pats have Julian Edelman ready to step in until Wes Welker returns later in the year. Reed will try to land a job elsewhere as the primary slot receiver.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I think he's more disgruntled over his own perception of his talent and potential vs. BB's perception. I think it's an ego thing, he thinks he's better than he is.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Right, and that attitude makes him think the rules don't apply to him.  BB doesn't put up with BS.  Thomas was sent home and punished and he doesn't want to be made to feel like a child.  I think Moss was a bit wounded over the same episode.  Moss might also be in the dog house over that and his Pats don't pay comments.

I still keep him for one more year, it's a contract year and he should be motatived.  Also, we can tag him (assuming we extend Brady) or let him walk and collect a for sure 3rd round comp pick.  Not bad, huh?  We gave up a 4th to get him, keep him 4 years and get back a 3rd.  Love it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Right, and that attitude makes him think the rules don't apply to him.  BB doesn't put up with BS.  Thomas was sent home and punished and he doesn't want to be made to feel like a child.  I think Moss was a bit wounded over the same episode.  Moss might also be in the dog house over that and his Pats don't pay comments. I still keep him for one more year, it's a contract year and he should be motatived.  Also, we can tag him (assuming we extend Brady) or let him walk and collect a for sure 3rd round comp pick.  Not bad, huh?  We gave up a 4th to get him, keep him 4 years and get back a 3rd.  Love it.
    Posted by Faucetman

Good point on Moss, assuming he's not brought back and signs on with and produces well for another team, there would be some nice compensation in return which makes the deal look even worse for Oakland who only got John Bowie and his two career tackles in return.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Josh Reed -WR- Bills Mar. 25 - 10:14 am et The player rep for WR Josh Reed conceded that it's "highly unlikely" the free agent will sign with the Patriots. It's just a poor fit. Reed works best out of the slot, where the Pats have Julian Edelman ready to step in until Wes Welker returns later in the year. Reed will try to land a job elsewhere as the primary slot receiver.
    Posted by Pats7393

Would you call this bad marketing by his agent?  I mean, teams watch film and aren't stupid, but why would you pigeon hole your client as strictly a slot guy?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Spikes won't run again:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/25/spikes-wont-run-again/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Would you call this bad marketing by his agent?  I mean, teams watch film and aren't stupid, but why would you pigeon hole your client as strictly a slot guy?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I agree if I was him as soon as the agent said that and came out I would have been on the phone getting a new one.  So teams looking at him for their #2 spot are not out of the running because who will sign him to a #2 when his own agent thinks he's only a slot receiver.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

pats7393...I like your new mock, especially the first 3 picks.  I think we need to game plan around the Jets. We are going to be fighting tooth and nail to win the division next year, and the Jets I think will not be 1 hit wonder that some predict. I think their defense and running game is as good as they produced....which is good. I don't think Sanchez will make a huge leap this year, so they still rely mostly on running game. Therefore, I think beefing up our run defense is paramount. THat is why I like your Graham and Houston picks. I think they will add toughness to the front 7 and can stifle with Jets run game in addition to our existing group. If you can smother the Jets run game, and score some points, I think you beat them.  That takes me to pick 53. Although I like Roberts, I think there are about 2-3 WR's that are better and could be here that should be taken in this spot. DWilliams, LaFell, Benn. Perhaps even flip flop 53 & 47..use 47 on the WR and 53 on Saffold. I like the Saffold pick because he gives us versatility and with that, we have options for draft day trades.... I know a lot of us love Graham and I'm not sure why he gets the "he is too small" routing for the Pats defense....afterall, he is only 1 inch shorter than AD, and we backed up the brinks truck to get him to play OLB. So, I don't buy he doesn't fit the mold discussion. If Graham is on the board at 22, I think the Pats draft him.  I know a lot of us are high on drafting a DE to replace Sey...I'm not sure Houston is Sey, but what is the drop off say from Odrick to Houston?....They are roughly same size, with Odrick 2 inches taller, but can they both play the 5 tech adequately, or more than adequately?.....If so, I like the houston pick because it gives us options in round 1. Can't argue with your other picks as i think they are solid. However, would like to see Edelman's boy from Kent State in the mix in the latter rounds. His pro day was amazing...a 6'4", 230 guy running a 4.4 is crazy. He could add depth at WR/TE spots.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Since 2000, Bill Bellichick has had a long history drafting DLs.  Whenever he has a big hole to fill, he uses a high draft pick to fill it.  Case in point, 2001 in Richard Seymour 1(6), 2003 Ty Warren 1(13) and 2004 Vince Wilfork 1(21).  Last year when Wilfork was potentially holding out as of draft day he took Ron Brace 2(40).

In 2002 Anthony Pleasant left so BB drafted Ty Warren in 2003.  After the 2003 season Ted Washington left so BB drafted Vince Wilfork.  And in 2009 just before the start of the season BB trades Richard Seymour and hasn't had a draft yet to replace him.  

Since 2000 BB has drafted 14 DL types.  Of those, 5 were taken in the first two rounds, Seymour, Warren, Wilfork, Brace and Marquis Hill 2(63) (who died).   BB has drafted ZERO DLs in the 3rd round and only two in the 4th round, Green in 2002 4(126) and Kareem Brown in 2007 4(127).  The rest were taken rounds 5-7.  Myron Pryor is the only one of the late round picks that appears to becoming something.

The point is, when BB has a hole to fill on the DL, he uses his first pick in the draft.  When he doesn't he usually drafts for depth.  He had a potential need last year with the uncertain Wilfork situation so he traded up in the 2nd to take Brace.  Is there anything to learn from this?  Maybe, maybe not.  I'm thinking that he will want to replace Seymour in this the first draft since he was traded making Odrick the only pick that makes sense.  Graham, as much as I like him doesn't seem to be a good fit and is not the type of player that BB has ever drafted with the exception of Tully Banta Cain which was a 7th round pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Is the bigger hole the De or the OLB?  tough to say which is the bigger hole.  I say he picks best fit available @ 22 for one, and the other at 44...if he doesn't trade up slightly at either spot to getthe guy he wants(I bet he moves up at at least one of the first 2 spots...)

Sections
Shortcuts