2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Is the bigger hole the De or the OLB?  tough to say which is the bigger hole.  I say he picks best fit available @ 22 for one, and the other at 44...if he doesn't trade up slightly at either spot to getthe guy he wants(I bet he moves up at at least one of the first 2 spots...)
    Posted by adam4522

I agree in a 34 you need to have two strong players at each position.  I would like to see two DEs and two OLBs drafted.  one each 1st two rounds and 1 each in the last two rounds.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Another potential 3-4 edge candidate?  Looks to have good athleticism, height (probably needs to add some weight), speed and quickness and currently projects as URFA.  He had 22 career sacks and 9 his senior year.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Aaron-Morgan-on-the-rise.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I did not read the article but why would he. Seeing how his stock has not been hit all that hard. Certainly not as hard as many first thought.

If he doesn't run, scouts can hold on to that tight tight hammy excuse that was floated out there and simply rely on his game tape which is more than decent.

If he runs again he risks only confirming his dirt train status.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Right, and that attitude makes him think the rules don't apply to him.  BB doesn't put up with BS.  Thomas was sent home and punished and he doesn't want to be made to feel like a child.  I think Moss was a bit wounded over the same episode.  Moss might also be in the dog house over that and his Pats don't pay comments. I still keep him for one more year, it's a contract year and he should be motatived.  Also, we can tag him (assuming we extend Brady) or let him walk and collect a for sure 3rd round comp pick.  Not bad, huh?  We gave up a 4th to get him, keep him 4 years and get back a 3rd.  Love it.
    Posted by Faucetman

Well Moss was referring to the Patriots paying WR's in general and especially very well aged ones. No one in the Patriots organization is going to get upset about that. Anyone who knows the organization and history like we all do knows that is a simple fact.

Besides Kraft is no dummy and he already said basically the same thing I just did in an interview AND added that Moss is a smart busy man and he's proactively looking for his next deal, somewhere.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Would you call this bad marketing by his agent?  I mean, teams watch film and aren't stupid, but why would you pigeon hole your client as strictly a slot guy?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

You could take that any number of ways.

I took it as telling the patriots they aren't going to wait around forever for them to figure out what they want to do.

Players who haven't made loads of money don't necessarily want to be left hanging out there in the breeze with their pants down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Is the bigger hole the De or the OLB?  tough to say which is the bigger hole.  I say he picks best fit available @ 22 for one, and the other at 44...if he doesn't trade up slightly at either spot to getthe guy he wants(I bet he moves up at at least one of the first 2 spots...)
    Posted by adam4522

IF you are talking currently there is no comparison.

You have two starting OLB's currently under contract.

You do not currently have starting RDE under contract.

Qualities and if everyone will still be here come opening day are other issues but you asked about holes.

The team has two.

1) A RDE
    2) A TE

...and you could certainly make the easy argument to put WR on the list as it can be argued the Patriots had the hole at 3rd WR even last season. We have Tate but he hasn't done it and that's why it's easily argued.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I did not read the article but why would he. Seeing how his stock has not been hit all that hard. Certainly not as hard as many first thought. If he doesn't run, scouts can hold on to that tight tight hammy excuse that was floated out there and simply rely on his game tape which is more than decent. If he runs again he risks only confirming his dirt train status.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Spikes stock has taken a beating on some boards I've been watching.  CBS NFL DraftScout had Spikes at 40 before the pro day, he is at 99 now.  That's going from early 2nd to early 4th, a 2 round drop.  CDS dropped him from 22 to 65.  He probably isn't running again because he can't beat his previous time or is injured.

I don't see him going until the 4th round unless a team is dumb.  Tedy Bruschi could out run Spikes in street clothes right now and we all saw how Tedy lost a step at the end and was just getting a hand on RBs as they blew by him.  The speed of the NFL game is so much faster than college.  I think Spikes will struggle if he truly is a 5.05 and wasn't just a little gimpy that day.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Spikes stock has taken a beating on some boards I've been watching.  CBS NFL DraftScout had Spikes at 40 before the pro day, he is at 99 now.  That's going from early 2nd to early 4th, a 2 round drop.  CDS dropped him from 22 to 65.  He probably isn't running again because he can't beat his previous time or is injured. I don't see him going until the 4th round unless a team is dumb.  Tedy Bruschi could out run Spikes in street clothes right now and we all saw how Tedy lost a step at the end and was just getting a hand on RBs as they blew by him.  The speed of the NFL game is so much faster than college.  I think Spikes will struggle if he truly is a 5.05 and wasn't just a little gimpy that day.
    Posted by Faucetman

Well thats my point. He was a 2nd. If he only drops to a 4th thats not that bad at all.

ILB's that run over 5.0 40's they don't get drafted AT ALL. So yeah its not that bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Patriots interviewed McCourtey the night before the Rutgers Pro Day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Latest Mock Draft- (with a bold prediction!) 22- Jared Odrick - I have been picking brandon graham at this spot since day 1 but the more i think about it the less likely i feel the pats will snag him, i think Graham will be gone by this pick and i dont think the pats are willing to trade up for graham when they have solid options left to choose from. The addition of odrick will solidify our defensive line. with wilfork gettin a 5 year contract, ty warren signed through 2012, i think odrick can start at the 5 techniquie in the 3-4 from day 1 and also add some much needed interior pass rush in passing situations. With mike wright rotating in and the continuing development of ron brace and pryor... i like our defensive line depth. I also think the pats will take a hard look at Thomas the receiver from georgia tech if he slips to this spot. 44- TRADED TO THE STEELERS - the patriots are fully prepared to select someone at this spot when suddenly they get a call from the steelers organization. They swap 2nd round picks. steelers get the 44th and the patriots get the 52nd overall pick along with the steelers 3rd round pick 82 and a 2011 4th round pick. Why would the steelers want to move up??? TIM TEBOW. i predict with all the big ben nonsense that has been goin on, the steelers need to have a safety valve if big ben continues to have off the field issues. The steelers dont feel comfortable waiting on tim tebow to slip to the 52nd overall pick so they strike a deal with the pats. 47- Brandon Spikes - Many people had him slotted in the mid to late 1st round area, but after running back to back 5.0 40's his stock has definitely taken a fall. With that said, his film speaks for itself, at this point in the draft he is the best player available and fills a need, the pats defense is vulnerable when guyton is a 3 down linebacker. Spikes can play the first 2 downs and be a thumper in the middle and on 3rd and long guyton can bring an athletic presense where he can thrive in either blizting or dropping in coverage. If spikes isnt available at this point i wouldnt be surprised if the pats took a look at sean lee from penn state, has similar qualities when comparing to spikes, leadership, physical presense, but i think spikes has the bigger upside. 52 (from the steelers)- Dennis Pita - Prototypical h-back/ tight end. natural hands, good route runner, performed well in the combine. He is about 6'5 250, not a punishing blocker but he is serviceable in that area. we just signed crumpler so he should do the majority of the blocking ala kyle brady. I think pita can be a dallas clark type of tight end for us. Dorin dickerson is an option here too but i think pita is the more natural tight end and dickerson is only a better athlete not a better football player. (i would prefer aaron hernandez but i anticipate him being gone by this point) 53- Jason Worilds- He was problably the best player on a very good virginia tech defense. He performed well in his pro-day by running back to back sub 4.6 40's. They had him listen in the low 4.5's. He is 6'1 255, which is a little short but he has the strenth and explosiveness (ran a 4.08 in short shuttle) that BB wants in a 3-4 outside linebacker. I think he is kinda flying under the radar and is a good value in this area of the draft. 82- (from the steelers) Montario Hardesty - This could be the next "shonn greene" type steal of the draft. he doesnt have "elite speed" like cj spiller or isnt as shifty as jahvid best but i do think he fills a need on the pats roster. Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor and Kevin faulk are all past 32 years of age and the pats need some young legs in there. Maroney still has some value on this team because of how young he is but i think patience is wearing thin, especialy with his fumbling whoes this past season. Hardesty has a nice burst, i remember him running really well against good defenses this past season. SEC back with some fresh legs, thats why i prefer him over a Toby Gerhart because i think toby just has way too many carries on his legs already. Hardesty shared the load throughout his career. This doesnt solve the next "kevin faulk" dilemma but i think he can be a workhorse in between the tackles. 119- Sam Young - Solid prospect out of notre dame. The biggest problem with him is that he might only be able to play right tackle, which is why he is predicted to be drafted in the middle rounds. But i think he would be a good fit with the pats. Matt light isnt getting any younger, we already have the left tackle of the future with Sea-bass, and our current right tackle nick kaczur is spotty to say the least. I think Sam Young can compete for the right tackle position and eventualy take over, giving us a solid tackle duo along with vollmer for years to come. 190- Freddie Barnes - extremely productive receiver. Set an ncaa record with 155 catches last season. However he didnt play against great competition because he played with Bowling Green. He wasnt even invited to the combine. Many people speculate his 40 time would be pretty slow around the 4.6 or 4.7 range but he flat out performed in his college career. You wont find many recievers with this type of production. 205- O'brien Schofield - He has the talent to be drafted in the 3rd round but suffered an injury during his time in the senior bowl practices. He was one of the best pass rushers in the big ten and the leader of wisconsin, i think if he fully recovers he can make an impact on special teams and possibly situational pass rusher. This took me a while to complete but i think this would be a great draft. thoughts?
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

You listed a lot of solid players on there.  I think you and I are among the few that think it will be Odrick at the top.  I don't know about the Steelers taking Tebow.  I actually think Tebow comes off the board early in the 2nd to Buffalo perhaps.  In any event, solid picks. 

Ironically had Spikes not run or was hurt and stood on his tape, he'd be a late 1st rounder.  Look at Demaryius Thomas.  He's being talked about like at top 20 pick and didn't go to the Combine or Pro Day leaving everyone to admire his tape.  Spikes on tape is a 1st round pick.  Now he's lucky to go in the 4th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Patriots interviewed McCourtey the night before the Rutgers Pro Day.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I love McCourty as much for what he does on Special Teams as he does as a CB.  Unfortunately I don't think we can get him unless we take him at 22.  I think he goes somewhere between 25 and 35.

That's why I like Dexter McCluster.  He's a great ST guy who you can work into an offense all over the field.  Although small, he is Welker-like shifty but faster straight line.  I love him and think he could be nearly as good as Welker and certainly as versatile.  I'm concerned that Edelman can't hold up for a whole season in the slot.  He missed a few games last year due to injury when he wasn't even playing full time.  As Mb points out, Welker may never be the same player again.  McCluster for me best solves the problem and could be had at 53.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

According to Ourlads, there are currently 15 defenses that base in the 3-4

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Currently, there are 10 starting safeties that went undrafted while there are 9 starters that went in the 1st Rd.

I wish I could be as wrong as NFL scouts in my job and still keep it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

According to Ourlads, there are currently 15 defenses that base in the 3-4
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Thats a lot.  I thought there were 12 but either way it puts a premium on 34 NTs and 5 tech DEs.  This is why I think Odrick makes the most sense even more so than Kindle although I would be happy with either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

CB is is a premium position in the NFL-- 64% of the starting CB's were picked in the 1st or 2nd rd (41 of the 64)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Holt looking to play with ‘elite’ quarterback « http://bit.ly/cvD9wc

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : spikes is luck to go in the 4th? i strongly doubt he will get out of the 2nd round.
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

There is no way to tell because it only takes one team of course... I do not care who takes him as long as it is not the Patriots.

First it's not a position of higher need for us at the moment.

Second he can't run. Defenses will see him on the field and game plan especially for that. Deliberately forcing him into a match-up nightmare scenario for our defense.

imo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

check out this crazy rumor...

McNabb and cornerback Asante Samuel would go to Oakland, and cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha would go to Philadelphia.

As, someone else said "isn't that a Madden trade and not real life?"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Holt looking to play with ‘elite’ quarterback « http://bit.ly/cvD9wc
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Respected guy around the league, great route runner, hard worker, productive really don't care he's 32 I think he can still play and end up with 800 yards and a few TDs.

He will only benefit with coverages going to Moss, add Edelman and hopefully Tate and he can help.

Bring him and see if get what they tried with Galloway last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Hughes to visit Patriots -http://b.globe.com/9wCNAs

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Odrick's looking like a popular pick at #22, but aren't people worried about his bust potential? Just because he looks like a 3-4 end and can move well doesn't mean he's a surefire started from day 1. Marquis Hill proved that. He looked just like Seymour, but sure didn't play like him. If they pick Odrick I'd be concerned because he's from bust city (aka Penn state) and he was a gap shooting type at PSU. He'd have to learn the 5 technique. I look at Alualu, who played the five well at Cal, as a safer pick. He also made more plays and seems like a Pats type guy.

If Graham's gone and Odrick and Pouncey is left, I think Pouncey would be a better pick. I don't think they'd be crazy to trade up a few spots to get their pass rushing LB (whoever it is). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Another potential 3-4 edge candidate?  Looks to have good athleticism, height (probably needs to ad some weight), speed and quickness and currently projects as URFA.  He had 22 career sacks and 9 his senior year. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Aaron-Morgan-on-the-rise.html
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Didn't find much but what I did find says 7th-UDFA, comp pick in the 7th?  Sounds like an intriguing kid, 235? if he can bulk up has the height.  Productive against Texas and Arizona State.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Odrick's looking like a popular pick at #22, but aren't people worried about his bust potential? Just because he looks like a 3-4 end and can move well doesn't mean he's a surefire started from day 1. Marquis Hill proved that. He looked just like Seymour, but sure didn't play like him. If they pick Odrick I'd be concerned because he's from bust city (aka Penn state) and he was a gap shooting type at PSU. He'd have to learn the 5 technique. I look at Alualu, who played the five well at Cal, as a safer pick. He also made more plays and seems like a Pats type guy. If Graham's gone and Odrick and Pouncey is left, I think Pouncey would be a better pick. I don't think they'd be crazy to trade up a few spots to get their pass rushing LB (whoever it is). 
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

If the Pats like Graham they will have to jump ahead of the Falcons, heard a few times already that's who they will be targeting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

3 spots in nothing if they love the guy. What do the value charts say? Would a 4 and a 6 work? I love Graham so others would probably disagree, but why not move a few slots if they love a guy? I know there's a ton of depth, but there are also many more 3-4 teams so I can see them moving. 

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : If the Pats like Graham they will have to jump ahead of the Falcons, heard a few times already that's who they will be targeting.
    Posted by Pats7393

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Odrick's looking like a popular pick at #22, but aren't people worried about his bust potential? Just because he looks like a 3-4 end and can move well doesn't mean he's a surefire started from day 1. Marquis Hill proved that. 

M.Hill(RIP) was a kid they took a flyer on. They over drafted him strictly for his size and potential back when they could afford a flyer/luxury pick. M.Hill was never considered anywhere near the athlete Odrick is.

He looked just like Seymour, but sure didn't play like him. If they pick Odrick I'd be concerned because he's from bust city (aka Penn state) and he was a gap shooting type at PSU. He'd have to learn the 5 technique. 

This is absolutely true but most players are shooting the gap in college defenses. That was my initial concern the first time I watch his film as well. I was impressed that a guy that size could move quick as a cat BUT I said he doesn't play the Pats style so it was a question. However, you can see plays in his game tape videos where is is VERY successfully handling double teams AND stringing out a play at the point of attack toward the sidelines.

As far as his ability to play the 5 tech. That's what the senior bowl week of practice is very useful for. They put all those guys through various drills to test exactly that. He supposedly acquitted himself very well in the 5 tech and double team work. It has also been said that at times he was the best player on the field during the senior bowl game. Granted most of the best offensive line talent did not play in that game.

I look at Alualu, who played the five well at Cal, as a safer pick. He also made more plays and seems like a Pats type guy. 

Believe it or not Alualu is considered iffy in the pros as a 34 DE. They believe he is best suited to play 43 but can probably play DE in 34. He's only 6'3" and along with Lamarr Houston, who is considered strictly a 43 guy, their height usually eliminates them from being an "ideal" 34 DE candidate.

After Odrick you would be looking at Cory Wootton and Alex Carrington as the next two "ideal" 34 DE's for playing the 5-tech as both are 6'5" or over. Generally they are taller AND have longer arms. Odrick for example is 2" taller than Alualu AND his arms are and inch longer. You could theoretically be looking at an additional three inches of visibility blocking and reach for batting down or tipping passes in Odrick's favor.

If Graham's gone and Odrick and Pouncey is left, I think Pouncey would be a better pick. I don't think they'd be crazy to trade up a few spots to get their pass rushing LB (whoever it is). 
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Sections
Shortcuts