Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Pats7393, in regard to not wanting a C/OG in the 1st, Pouncey's talent and size are lightyears ahead of the rest.  No one is even close IMHO.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I'm with Mord on this one.  The Steelers are eying Pouncey at 18.  That's how good he is.  IMO Pouncey is a once in a decade C/OG.  His is big and fast and plays with a mean streak.  Gerald McCoy called him the toughest OL he's faced.  Pouncey's rating as a Center is as high as any player is rated for their position including Suh and Berry.

I read IQ/Pats discussion about Mankins/Neal with interest.  I agree when healthy Neal is a really good OG.  Mankins is a Pro Bowler.  Problem is Neal gets hurt often so how many games are you going to get out of him?  He is also up there, 34 in October.  I don't think Connolly is the answer but I think he is a solid back up. 

Heading into the draft Mankins is holding out.  We don't know how far apart the sides are on a new deal.  Mankins will likely sign the tender by June 30 but I don't see us tagging him after the season.  Koppen will be 31 when the season starts.  He made the Pro Bowl in 2007 but I don't see him going back any time soon.  He's helped when Mankins and Neal are both healthy.  Koppen is signed through 2011 at which point I could see Pouncey moving to Center. 

I will say that I don't think BB will take Pouncey as I think there are bigger needs and Brady is pretty supportive of his line but I would be delighted to hear his name called at 22.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, one of the other main reasons I am sooooo high on Pouncey is the HUGE increase in 3-4 Ds.  That will require a bigger, stronger Center to fight off the NTs.  Koppen is just not able to do that at all without serious help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, I agree. I think given our current depth at DL plus the new signing, I think BB waits until later rounds to add depth. But, even with those we have on the current roster, I don't see a true 3-4 DE amongst the group other than Warren.  But, perhaps guys like Wright, maybe VW plays more DE and Brace steps up and moves to NT when we are in this set. If that could work, I think DL becomes less of a need early, and look to the later round guys we have all mentioned here as possibilities.  So, if we are running more nickel defenses, it would presume that the need would be CB's, perhaps a safety type like Chancellor and a speedy LB.  I am comfortable with the CB situation as it is today. I still think Meriweather should move back to the CB position, and if so, this opens up a spot for a guy like Chancellor to play alongside Chung/Sanders.  As far as OLB's go...this is the big unknown of course...AD, Crable, McKenzie (McKenzie by the way has the same size as Weatherspoon in this draft, and I believe to be faster). So, perhaps we are better off in this position than we anticipate assuming McKenzie and Crable both come back and can contribute.  I would advocate moving out of the 22nd spot and down into round 2, and pick up a 3rd in the process if we can find a trading partner. I think if we do this, we can have the following in no particular order; Round 2 (4 picks) -Gronkowski/Hernandez (Our TE of the future) -Emmanual Sanders/DWilliams (both good route runners to serve as 2nd/3rd WR) -BGhee/DMcCourty (add quality depth at CB position) - Linval Joseph/Alualu (our 3-4 DE) Round 3 (1 pick) Chancellor (our Rodney replacement) Round 4 (1 pick) AJ Edds (speedy OLB, good motor)
    Posted by PatsLifer

Pats,

I would not be surprised either if we trade 22.  If we can find someone willing to move up and giving up a high 2nd and 3rd it would seem to make sense.

I totally agree with the shortage of 34 DEs on the team and that we are loaded at DT.  Even to draft a developmental DT/DE we need to clear a roster spot.  We are currently carrying 5 RBs, most teams carry 4.  If we draft a Gerhart/Hardesty/Tate/Dwyer/Blount type we can cut Morris and Taylor, freeing up a spot and nearly $3MM allowing us to carry a 7th DL type on the 53 man roster.

The other thing to consider is there is NO FREAKIN WAY 12 draft picks are making this team.  We have to use our 4 comp picks but I could see us trading our 6th and two 7s to move up in the 4th.  I am not ruling out making a move with a 2nd and our 22 to move up if there is someone at 13-15 range that makes sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Woops. Posted I didn't think we should take a center because we have one. I'll have to watch some tape on him. Didn't realize he is a once every ten years type of player, you don't pass up on one of those when they fall to you.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet, one of the other main reasons I am sooooo high on Pouncey is the HUGE increase in 3-4 Ds.  That will require a bigger, stronger Center to fight off the NTs.  Koppen is just not able to do that at all without serious help.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Excellent point!!!  Koppen needs Guard help now.  It would be great if we had a C who could fire out solo on the NT allowing the guards to hit the 2nd level and engage the LBs creating more running room.  If we add Pouncey and a big or speedy back that doesn't dance but explodes through the hole we could add perhaps a 0.3 to 0.5 yards per carry to our average. 

Beside pass rush, another HUGE thing missing last year was our smash mouth running game protecting leads.  How many 2nd half leads did we blow last year?  It was the difference in going 10-6 instead of 13-3 and earning a first round bye.  We need to be able to keep it on the ground with a 4th quarter lead and be able to move the chains, especially when the weather turns cold and windy. 

Pouncey makes a TON of sense.  Upgrading Morris and Taylor with one of the many big backs also makes a ton of sense.  Koppen could be traded for a 4th or 5th if we landed Pouncey or kept for depth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Woops. Posted I didn't think we should take a center because we have one. I'll have to watch some tape on him. Didn't realize he is a once every ten years type of player, you don't pass up on one of those when they fall to you.
    Posted by mthurl

OMG, put on some tape.  Then watch the McCoy interview at the Combine.  Pouncey would be to the OL that Wilfork is to the DL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

If we packaged 22 and 44 we could move up to 13.  If McClain is there I think we would do it.  I know he's an ILB but he has the size and speed to play OLB in a 34.  My question is, assuming we somehow got McClain do you think we would use him as the thumper next to Mayo in the middle or try him outside when in our base 34 set?

When in a 43 I could see McClain manning the middle with Mayo and Guyton/Crable/McKenzie outside, right?

I'm not saying we should burn two picks on McClain but can anyone question the dynamic change he would bring to the center of our defense? Nobody will run on us.  We gave up a lot of big plays up the middle last year especially when Wilfork was hurt.  We lost the Baltimore play off game on the very first play right up the middle. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If we wanted to get ahead of DEN and MIA for either McClain or Williams it would cost us 22, 44, 119 and a 7th.  Jax might love to have their pick back at 44.  I'd consider doing something to get McClain, maybe 22, 44, both 7ths and a 2011 3rd since we already have a pair of firsts.  We could have a draft like this.

#10 (from Jax) ILB Rolando McClain
    #47 RB Toby Gerhart
    #53 TE Jimmy Graham
    #119 FS Kam Chancellor
    #190 DT Corey Peters
    #205 WR David Gettis
    #247 P Brent Bowden
    #248 TE Scott Sicko
    #250 WR Scott Long

Nah, I'm not buying it.  Would love to have McClain though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Cowboys cut Adams leaving a big hole at LT.  Hmm, the Pats have Matt Light for one more year.  Would we consider a trade of Light to Dallas for their 3rd, #91 overall?  Or, could we get their 2nd, #59 and give them Light and our 4th, #119, heck throw in the 7s?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

food for thought....Since Dallas let go Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin, they would seem to be in the market for both a tackle and a safety. Possibly 1 or 2 positions we could help them fill. Jerry likes to wheel and deal, good friends with Kraft....
    What are the chances we deal a safety to Dallas or possibly Light as well?

What could we get for either or both? (Vrabel/Cassel type package)..is it worth's Dallas' 2nd round pick?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Faucet..looks like we are both thinking about Dallas today.

I think Light and one of our safeties, or Light and a few picks would be attractive to Dallas given they need both, and it would free Jerry up to draft a stud WR as he wants. You got to think Jerry hates wasting draft picks on OL....he likes the sizzle. 

I had advocated possibly swapping 1sts with Jacksonville and giving them our 44, but I don't know anyone in this draft I would move that high up for who is on the board around the 10-15 range. I like McClain, Williams, Spiller, maybe JPP. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's a crack at a possible depth chart.  Drafted players are highlighted.  Players that could be cut or traded are in red.  There are 53 players listed and of course only 45 can suit for a game.  I did not include the 8 practice squad players.  What do you guys think?  Ages as of the start of the season are included for existing players.

OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot24 Julian Edelman  PUP 29 W Welker
    WR#190 E. Sanders22 Brandon Tate 
    LOT32 Matt Light  
    LG28 Logan Mankins24 Ryan Wendell24 George Bussey
    C30 Dan Koppen#22 M. Pouncey 
    ROG34 Stephen Neal28 Dan Connolly24 Rich Ohrnberger
    RT31 Nick Kaczur26 S Vollmer28 Mark LeVoir
    TE32 Alge Crumpler#44 R. Gronkowski 
    QB33 Tom Brady24 Brian Hoyer 
    RB25 L Maroney34 Kevin Faulk34 Fred Taylor
    #53 B. Tate33 Sammy Morris
    25 BJ Green-Ellis 
    WR33 Randy Moss36 David Patton 

DEFENSE 24 Players
    DE 29 Ty Warren28 Mike Wright 
    NT28 Vince Wilfork23 Ron Brace 
    DE32 Damione Lewis24 Myron Pryor33 Adalius Thomas
    OLB30 Tully Banta-Cain26 Rob Ninkovich 
    ILB24 Jerod Mayo28 Eric Alexander25 Marques Murrell
    ILB24 Gary Guyton24 T McKenzie 
    OLB#48 Ricky Sapp25 Shawn Crable28 Pierre Woods
    LCB24 Darius Butler26 J Wilhite35 Shawn Springs
    RCB29 Leigh Bodden25 T Wheatley 
    SS26 B Meriweather23 Pat Chung 
    FS26 James Sanders#119 K Chancellor26 B McGowan

SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players
    PK26 S Gostkowski  
    P#247 B Bowden  
    H   
    LS24 Jake Ingram  
    KR24 Matthew Slater  
    PR   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots12x81. Show Patriots12x81's posts

1. Brandon Graham 
    2. Golden Tate(if there) or Ryan Matthews
    2. Damian Williams
    2. Sergio Kindle

* Even know we need a punter cause we havent a good one since Camarillo, we should wait for Anger out of Cal hes special

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Faucet there's no way Kaczur starts over Vollmer. No way. It really isn't even a debate.

Here's a crack at a possible depth chart.  Drafted players are highlighted.  Players that could be cut or traded are in red.  There are 53 players listed and of course only 45 can suit for a game.  I did not include the 8 practice squad players.  What do you guys think?  Ages as of the start of the season are included for existing players. OFFENSE 25 Players Slot 24 Julian Edelman     PUP 29 W Welker WR #190 E. Sanders 22 Brandon Tate   LOT 32 Matt Light     LG 28 Logan Mankins 24 Ryan Wendell 24 George Bussey C 30 Dan Koppen #22 M. Pouncey   ROG 34 Stephen Neal 28 Dan Connolly 24 Rich Ohrnberger RT 31 Nick Kaczur 26 S Vollmer 28 Mark LeVoir TE 32 Alge Crumpler #44 R. Gronkowski   QB 33 Tom Brady 24 Brian Hoyer   RB 25 L Maroney 34 Kevin Faulk 34 Fred Taylor #53 B. Tate 33 Sammy Morris 25 BJ Green-Ellis   WR 33 Randy Moss 36 David Patton           DEFENSE 24 Players DE   29 Ty Warren 28 Mike Wright   NT 28 Vince Wilfork 23 Ron Brace   DE 32 Damione Lewis 24 Myron Pryor 33 Adalius Thomas OLB 30 Tully Banta-Cain 26 Rob Ninkovich   ILB 24 Jerod Mayo 28 Eric Alexander 25 Marques Murrell ILB 24 Gary Guyton 24 T McKenzie   OLB #48 Ricky Sapp 25 Shawn Crable 28 Pierre Woods LCB 24 Darius Butler 26 J Wilhite 35 Shawn Springs RCB 29 Leigh Bodden 25 T Wheatley   SS 26 B Meriweather 23 Pat Chung   FS 26 James Sanders #119 K Chancellor 26 B McGowan   SPECIAL TEAMS 4 Players PK 26 S Gostkowski     P #247 B Bowden     H       LS 24 Jake Ingram     KR 24 Matthew Slater     PR      
    Posted by Faucetman

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

food for thought....Since Dallas let go Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin, they would seem to be in the market for both a tackle and a safety. Possibly 1 or 2 positions we could help them fill. Jerry likes to wheel and deal, good friends with Kraft.... What are the chances we deal a safety to Dallas or possibly Light as well? What could we get for either or both? (Vrabel/Cassel type package)..is it worth's Dallas' 2nd round pick?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Dallas has a guy that they drafted a couple of years ago to fill this spot.  Adams nonsense hits the door.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Ok, if you think Lee will be the starter in place of Adams, I'll buy it.

What about the safety spot? 

In any case, I think we are going to see some trades before or come draft day. I think current players for picks, or combinations of players/picks for picks. 

Dallas I think is one potential trade partner. I'm sure there are others. I think the point I was trying to drive is;
    1. Our current draft slots will not be the same come day 1, 2 and 3 of the draft
    2. We will actively shop guys on the roster and those guys may be Light (1 year left on contract..aka Seymour and possibly one of our 4 safeties.) 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

1. Brandon Graham  2. Golden Tate(if there) or Ryan Matthews 2. Damian Williams 2. Sergio Kindle * Even know we need a punter cause we havent a good one since Camarillo, we should wait for Anger out of Cal hes special
    Posted by Patriots12x81

Kindle doesn't get out of the first round.  Tate likely won't either but if he does, he goes pretty quick in the 2nd.  Graham is 50/50 to be there at 22.  Williams should be there. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet there's no way Kaczur starts over Vollmer. No way. It really isn't even a debate. In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Rock,

I AGREE 100000% with you but until BB does it, it hasn't happened yet.  How did you like the rest of it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

Your latest mock is interesting with the move up for McClain. I don't think anyone would doubt the middle of our defense being a heck of a lot better, or for that matter the front 7. If we added someone like Alualu or Joseph in round 2, I think the defensive front 7 would be comparable to any in the league.

The only question I have with your mock is not drafting a WR in round 2 or 4. I would rather draft a WR like Sanders or DWilliams with your Gerhart pick, and use 205 on a RB, or hold steady with who we have on the roster at RB this year, and look to draft a RB next year. 

I agree the position needs to be upgraded, but I would fill the holes first, and I think WR is a big one. This of course assumes the Pats don't do something creative or pick up a vet via trade. Not sure who is left out there, or is available, but perhaps we could grab a proven vet for a couple of our later round picks or something next year. 

The more I consider who we could grab with a move up to 10, the more I like standing pat at 22 and keeping our 2nds. I know BB will probably do something with those 2nds, possibly trading 1 into next year for a 1st. Imagine 3 firsts with a rookie pay scale..brilliant. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I think very strongly about 3 things.

1) BB will move a currently player for another player, or picks.  The player for player thing is much more likely in this uncapped year than ever before.

2) BB is very unlikely to draft 12+ players for this team this year.  I think the limit will be 10, and the sweat spot is likely about 8-9 players.  I would love to see 5 in the first 2 rounds, plus the compensatory picks.

3) BB is likely to use the 4th, 6th, and 7th's to move up in the draft. 

Ideally we move AT, Light, A safety, maybe a Brace or pryor or Wright for some 2-4th round picks, and then package them to move up to top 50 picks.  I really think the Pats will be moving around in this draft, and hope to heck they find about 4 impact players, with at least 1 elite one.  Give me impact at LB, WR, OL, and either DL, RB, or TE and I will be a happy man.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Vollmer started over NC in the playoff game so I think Vollmer is officially locked down one of the tackle spots.

You projections look interesting when you add them to the team. My initial comment though was that the OLB's could be a little weak against the run. I'd be worried about the edges getting exploited. I would also say Pouncey is one of those guys who will start day 1 over Koppen (similar to Mayo over Bruschi just because there's some a big talent difference). 

Only a few more weeks til the Pats add some real talent to the team! Exciting stuff...

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Rock, I AGREE 100000% with you but until BB does it, it hasn't happened yet.  How did you like the rest of it?
    Posted by Faucetman

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Arthur Moats Works Out for Patriots http://tinyurl.com/yzhfz3v

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Don't know what kind of football player he is but he's a heck of an athlete.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Can anyone suggest what teams are likely to trade with us so that we get a 3rd rounder this year and/or a 1st for next year?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm surprised no one has really talked about Thaddeus Gibson. He does'nt look bad on tape, is rising, pats have a workout scheduled, ran a 4.6, tested well in liebacker drills and is rated as a second round prospect. On tape he looks long, his arms look very long. He looks a step slower than hughes, kindle, and Sapp, but looks like he moves well. Of course the kid from Virginia looks faster than all of them and is said to have long arms, but looks like a one trick pony.

Sections
Shortcuts