2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Pro Football Focus Steven Neil 2009  #2 ranked starting Right Guard in the NFL overall #4 ranked starting right guard in the NFL in pass blocking 2008  #5 ranked starting Right Guard in the NFL overall #10 ranked starting right guard in the NFL in pass blocking 2007 #3 ranked starting Right Guard in the NFL overall #1 ranked starting right guard in the NFL in pass blocking Logan Mankins vs. Stephen Neal 2009 (QB pressures, QB hits, QB sacks Allowed) Mankins (12,3,2) Neal (7,1,2) Wow a 5th round pick coming off a knee injury, making him a yr 2 rookie, is going to come in and beat out Neil. Holy Moly the Patriots must have hit a home run with that pick. Hope you are right cause it would mean a heck of a steal. Kind of looks doubtful though looking at the facts.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Love the sarcasism, amazing stats.  Neal must be so loyal to the Pats, he must have had so many offers which I'm sure him been #2 RG in the league he could had made so much more than he's making with the Pats.  Wow he sure is loyal or maybe he didn't have many offers because he is not the guard he used to be.

Again love the sacarsism I can care less who starts as long as they keep TB upright but sounds like you are getting some compensation if Neal starts or just don't like different opinions other than your's.  I'm sure you were questioning the Voll pick as well, no I'm not comparing the two not saying Bussey is Voll inside but why not?  And to say Neal is  better than Mankins makes me wonder how much you really do know about football maybe 5 years ago but come on bro.  How many snaps for Mankins and how many for Neal?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Love the sarcasism, amazing stats.  Neal must be so loyal to the Pats, he must have had so many offers which I'm sure him been #2 RG in the league he could had made so much more than he's making with the Pats.  Wow he sure is loyal or maybe he didn't have many offers because he is not the guard he used to be. Again love the sacarsism I can care less who starts as long as they keep TB upright but sounds like you are getting some compensation if Neal starts or just don't like different opinions other than your's.  I'm sure you were questioning the Voll pick as well, no I'm not comparing the two not saying Bussey is Voll inside but why not?  And to say Neal is  better than Mankins makes me wonder how much you really do know about football maybe 5 years ago but come on bro.  How many snaps for Mankins and how many for Neal?
    Posted by Pats7393

As far as Vollmer is concerned. I did not know anything about him so I had no opinion on him. This is the first year I spent this much time looking at some prospects. The only thing I remember is that when the Patriots drafted him, ESPN showed some footage on him and I said to the old man this guys feet are amazing for such a big man. Right after I said that ESPN went into the background of him being a soccer player. Not too many athletes have better feet then soccer players.

I never said Neal was better than Mankins. They play different sides and the left side typical faces the better athletes. I used the comparison NOT to say Neal was better than Mankins but to show the quality of Neal. That type of consistent quality is not easily beaten out.

I only listed stats. If you feel a bit better to put words in my mouth its cool. I never take anything personal. I only listed facts and gave no context other than to say I think the kid would be very impressive to beat out a starter of Neal's caliber coming from the 5th round in a draft that was not considered an especially deep one.

PFF had Mankins rated as the #2 starting LEFT guard in the NFL. The tandem were #2 in the league according to them behind the Saints who had the #1 guards at right and left.

Snaps 2009
    Mankins = approx. 71/game
    Neal = approx. 65/game

in 2008
    Mankins was #1 rated left guard in NFL overall
    Mankins was #22 rated left guard in pass blocking and #1 in run

in 2007
    Mankins was again #1 overall in NFL at left guard
    Mankins was rated #7 in pass blocking 

In the end we simply have different opinions. You consistently say that Connelly will beat out Koppen and be the starting center and now that Bussey will or should be the starting right guard. I simply don't see it. Just a difference of opinion and i am not saying my opinion is correct. Just an opinion based on all I have to go by, facts, history and stats. 

Just have to wait and see what happens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : You hit the nail on the head Pats.  We will be in a ton of nickel next year and really every year.  We need 4 solid 43 DLs, 2 very mobile, fast and tough LBs and 5 cover DBs.  Mayo is an every down player and blazing fast.  Guyton is even faster but he doesn't have the instincts that Mayo has.  I have serious doubts about Brace.  He seems so slow, sluggish and gets blown off the ball which is shocking giving his size.  There are two DTs that I like in this draft, Alualu and Joseph.  Both can play the 5 then you kick them inside on passing downs.  Mayock now says Joseph doesn't get out of the 2nd round.  Holly S, he started in the 7th a few weeks ago.  Let's say we get one of those DTs and we draft Weatherspoon at #22.  With 2 of our 4 top picks we just created a very formadible front 6 in a Nickel defense.  OR, take a pass rusher and live with Guyton or McKenzie next to Mayo.  What if we got Graham at 22?  We have Chung, Sanders, Meriweather, Bodden and take your pick of Butler, Wheatley and Wilhite at DB.  Can we improve upon this group and should we? Just talking now, we spend 22 on Weatherspoon, 44 on Alualu now we can use the next 3 picks on offense.  47 on Gronkowski, Hernandez, Pitta then 53 on McCluster, Decker and some suggest Roberts.  I'd include a big back like Gerhart, Hardesty, Tate or Dwyer there too.  I think the draft is so deep at WR that I'd be inclined to take a big back at 53 then come back at 119 and grab some WR depth, Roberts (trade up 10 spots perhaps), Sanders, etc.
    Posted by Faucetman

What about A.J. Edds in nickle situations?  He is probably the best cover LB in the draft, he will be very good.  He is good against the run as well, at 6'4" 250+ he can hold his own.  I think it was mb who turned me on to Edds and the more I think about it the more I think he would be a mix of TB54 and MV not saying he will be as good just a good combination of both.

Say we get Graham at 22 and Edds in the 4th, you can add a DE like Houston to kick inside in nickle and that would be a nice line
    Right to left
    LBs, Edds Mayo
    Graham Houston VW TBC or Crable

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Linval Joseph as a prospect for 3-4 DE.

He is 6'4" 328lbs, very strong (bench press 39) and has a long arm (34.5 in) . He is taller than Dan Williams and stronger than Odrick.  Mike Mayock said that his stock is rising to the second round now because 3-4 teams are convinced that he holds the point of attack. With long arms, he may be taught to potentially control two gaps.  PFW also gives him a second round rating.  With this thought, I tweaked my mock for our first five picks as the following.  The bottom line is, that, with a deep draft and our three second rounders, we might be able to fill all our needs (DE, OLB, WR, and TE) with above-average players:

1. Carlos Dunlap.  DE/OLB.  Control the edge as an OLB in the early downs and provide pass-rush from the inside in the passing downs.
    2a. Golden Tate.  WR.  Ready to play in our offense.
    2b. Ricky Sapp.  OLB.  He compares to Rosie Colvin to me.  Can speed-rush and drop into coverage.  Good instinct.
    2c. Linval Joseph.  DE.  Can at least hold up against the run at the right DE.
    4. Jimmy Graham.  TE.  Anthony McCoy if Jimmy Graham is gone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : You hit the nail on the head Pats.  We will be in a ton of nickel next year and really every year.  We need 4 solid 43 DLs, 2 very mobile, fast and tough LBs and 5 cover DBs.  Mayo is an every down player and blazing fast.  Guyton is even faster but he doesn't have the instincts that Mayo has.  I have serious doubts about Brace.  He seems so slow, sluggish and gets blown off the ball which is shocking giving his size.  There are two DTs that I like in this draft, Alualu and Joseph.  Both can play the 5 then you kick them inside on passing downs.  Mayock now says Joseph doesn't get out of the 2nd round.  Holly S, he started in the 7th a few weeks ago.  Let's say we get one of those DTs and we draft Weatherspoon at #22.  With 2 of our 4 top picks we just created a very formadible front 6 in a Nickel defense.  OR, take a pass rusher and live with Guyton or McKenzie next to Mayo.  What if we got Graham at 22?  We have Chung, Sanders, Meriweather, Bodden and take your pick of Butler, Wheatley and Wilhite at DB.  Can we improve upon this group and should we? Just talking now, we spend 22 on Weatherspoon, 44 on Alualu now we can use the next 3 picks on offense.  47 on Gronkowski, Hernandez, Pitta then 53 on McCluster, Decker and some suggest Roberts.  I'd include a big back like Gerhart, Hardesty, Tate or Dwyer there too.  I think the draft is so deep at WR that I'd be inclined to take a big back at 53 then come back at 119 and grab some WR depth, Roberts (trade up 10 spots perhaps), Sanders, etc.
    Posted by Faucetman

Don't forget about LaGarrette Blount,RB, Oregon, I would love to see him in a Pat's uniform.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : As far as Vollmer is concerned. I did not know anything about him so I had no opinion on him. This is the first year I spent this much time looking at some prospects. The only thing I remember is that when the Patriots drafted him, ESPN showed some footage on him and I said to the old man this guys feet are amazing for such a big man. Right after I said that ESPN went into the background of him being a soccer player. Not too many athletes have better feet then soccer players. I never said Neal was better than Mankins. They play different sides and the left side typical faces the better athletes. I used the comparison NOT to say Neal was better than Mankins but to show the quality of Neal. That type of consistent quality is not easily beaten out. I only listed stats. If you feel a bit better to put words in my mouth its cool. I never take anything personal. I only listed facts and gave no context other than to say I think the kid would be very impressive to beat out a starter of Neal's caliber coming from the 5th round in a draft that was not considered an especially deep one. PFF had Mankins rated as the #2 starting LEFT guard in the NFL. The tandem were #2 in the league according to them behind the Saints who had the #1 guards at right and left. Snaps 2009 Mankins = approx. 71/game Neal = approx. 65/game in 2008 Mankins was #1 rated left guard in NFL overall Mankins was #22 rated left guard in pass blocking and #1 in run in 2007 Mankins was again #1 overall in NFL at left guard Mankins was rated #7 in pass blocking  In the end we simply have different opinions. You consistently say that Connelly will beat out Koppen and be the starting center and now that Bussey will or should be the starting right guard. I simply don't see it. Just a difference of opinion and i am not saying my opinion is correct. Just an opinion based on all I have to go by, facts, history and stats.  Just have to wait and see what happens.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Yes I have been saying and will continue to say I like connoly at Center  The truth is the OL has been in decline, throw me all the stats but I know what I see during the games. 

It is all about Brady, as long as his uniform is clean at the end of games I don't care but with the current crew that seems to get harder and harder for them to do.

So I hope in the draft they get an OT (saffold) and maybe a guard/center combo but not in the first.  I like Brandon Carter big boddied guy who can play center or guard.  keep have to protect the franshice, who ever that is protecting him I hope the OL is improved.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : What about A.J. Edds in nickle situations?  He is probably the best cover LB in the draft, he will be very good.  He is good against the run as well, at 6'4" 250+ he can hold his own.  I think it was mb who turned me on to Edds and the more I think about it the more I think he would be a mix of TB54 and MV not saying he will be as good just a good combination of both. Say we get Graham at 22 and Edds in the 4th, you can add a DE like Houston to kick inside in nickle and that would be a nice line Right to left LBs, Edds Mayo Graham Houston VW TBC or Crable
    Posted by Pats7393

Edds could be a nice option at 119.  I would love it if we could get Graham, but Pittsburgh really likes him, they also like Pouncey.  One thing for sure, this is the deepest DT draft probably of all time.  Guys like Houston, Alualu, Thomas would be first round picks most years.  Guys like Troup, Neal, Jones, Joseph could be had in the 3-4 rounds but are 2nd round talents most years.  We need to get one of these guys at a bargain spot for the future.  I like Alualu and Joseph the most.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Linval Joseph is an interesting prospect given his size and strength, but I'm not convinced he is a round 2 guy. There are quite a few DL's that can play DE, or DE's that I would put ahead of him, Alualu, Carrington, Wooten who although smaller, seem to play with better technique. This is where Joseph gets knocked a lot, and could be another Brace. 

Hard not to imagine and get excited about Joseph, VW, Brace, Warren as our line in a 4-3, or Joseph, VW, Warren in a 3-4. That is one large and imposing line. I would feel equally and perhaps more comfortable however with Alualu as opposed to Joseph because Alualu is a proven 3-4 DE, or can move inside as well, plays with better technique.

If any of the guys above are our selections in round 2, I don't see the Pats drafting Odrick with the 22nd. I think as faucet suggested if we see a ton of nickel, perhaps a smaller, speedy LB like Weatherspoon at 22. Or, perhaps we see a pick on offense going back to MB's guy in GTate. 

A similar LB type to Weatherspoon can be had in round 2 or 3, in Eric Norwood or later in AJ Edds. 

Perhaps given the number of DL's we have on the current roster (including our latest signing), DL becomes a later round need. This I think is where we could have Linval Joseph, Geathers, Al Woods, Mike Neal, etc.

A lot of perhaps here, and I think this is why it's getting harder to mock this draft. There is good talent up and down this draft at Pats positions of need.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Pats7393, in regard to not wanting a C/OG in the 1st, Pouncey's talent and size are lightyears ahead of the rest.  No one is even close IMHO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I beginning to think the pats should trade down and pick up another second round pick. Can't believe I'm saying this, because I hate when they trade down, but I'm starting to think the guy sitting there at 22 is not going to be much different than the guy at say 40. 4 picks in the 2nd would be really something in a draft this deep. Now if Graham was there at 22 I'd take him, but he'll be gone. Kindle may be gone as well and I'm not a big fan of his at 22. Pouncy is a name that gets mentioned alot, but we have a center. If we draft a center with talent later in the draft, this team does a good job getting those type of guys ready to play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I just wasted 30 minutes of my life....Watching Brandon Spikes highlights. This guy won't get drafted in the second round, no way no how. This kid has a very heavy set of legs that keep him from reaching the play. He doesn't read things well, can't cover, pass rush or make plays in space. He looks tired and it's as if he knows he's not fast enough to make alot of the plays he needs to. Can he take on a block? Yeah, he's got size, but he looses sight of the runner. He would be completely out classed in the nfl.

I'm a big guy that has played some football. It's nice when you can play in a phone booth and crush people smaller than you. When you get into space against fast players that are more athletic than you, you end up holding on for dear life, trying not to embarass yourself. That is what this kid is doing. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Linval Joseph as a prospect for 3-4 DE. He is 6'4" 328lbs, very strong (bench press 39) and has a long arm (34.5 in) . He is taller than Dan Williams and stronger than Odrick.  Mike Mayock said that his stock is rising to the second round now because 3-4 teams are convinced that he holds the point of attack. With long arms, he may be taught to potentially control two gaps.  PFW also gives him a second round rating.  With this thought, I tweaked my mock for our first five picks as the following.  The bottom line is, that, with a deep draft and our three second rounders, we might be able to fill all our needs (DE, OLB, WR, and TE) with above-average players: 1. Carlos Dunlap.  DE/OLB.  Control the edge as an OLB in the early downs and provide pass-rush from the inside in the passing downs. 2a. Golden Tate.  WR.  Ready to play in our offense. 2b. Ricky Sapp.  OLB.  He compares to Rosie Colvin to me.  Can speed-rush and drop into coverage.  Good instinct. 2c. Linval Joseph.  DE.  Can at least hold up against the run at the right DE. 4. Jimmy Graham.  TE.  Anthony McCoy if Jimmy Graham is gone.
    Posted by TrustBill

Trust,

I've been talking about Joseph for over a month now.  I was originally thinking 7th round, then 6th round, then 4th round.  I'm not ready to say let's spend a 2nd on him yet because of his inconsistent play.  He seems to tire easily.  When rested he's a beast.  Hopefully this is just a conditioning thing that will improve when he's a full time football player.  There is no question he is a big strong guy and he has explosive quickness off the ball. 

This is the thing and I'd like others to weigh in on this too.  This is such a deep DT draft.  I have to feel that BB has studied the depth and value of each position and where in the draft represents the most value for positions he's interested in drafting.  It is for this reason that I've come off my Odrick at #22 thinking.  I know Odrick has the measurables and versatility.  I still would not be surprised if we took him there at 22.  But, I think BB realizes that he can get a guy like Alualu or Joseph later on.  He might decide to take a flyer on Geathers who is very young (20) but has off the chart potential to be the next Too Tall Jones.  Then there are guys like Corey Peterson and Deaderick that could be had in the 6-7 rounds.  This could be the reason he just signed a veteran DT so he has starting quality now and time to develop a young player. 

On paper we would seem to have 6 DL types who are locks to make the team and the Pats seem to like Darryl Richard who can stay on the PS another year.  So, there really isn't room on the 53 man roster for a high DL draft pick unless some one is cut.  I can't see the Pats giving up on Brace already but he would appear to be the weakest link.

A lot of us think BB should take Brandon Graham because of his pass rushing ability and if he's there at #22 we might.  However, we have to consider that TBC had 10.5 sacks in the role of 43 rush DE and he was just extended to a pretty lucrative deal considering who he is and what he does.  Graham would basically serve the same role.  I agree we COULD use another base 34 OLB especially if Adalius is not in our future plans.  However, we have Crable, TBC, Woods, Ninkovich and Guyton that can play the position.  Edds in the 4th, Misi or Sapp in the 2nd are certainly possibilities to consider.

I think another missing piece is a tough Rodney Harrison (6-1, 220) type safety.  Ever since Rodney retired we've been trying to find a replacement that can do the things he did.  In 2008 we tried with Tank Williams (6-2, 223) but he got hurt and was cut, resigned and cut again.  We tried last year with Shawn Springs (6-0, 204) and I believe Springs won't be on the 2010 roster.  We also drafted Patrick Chung (5-11, 212) first in 2009 draft.  The jury is still out on Chung but I would not be surprised if the search to replace Rodney is not over.

My brother is a scout for a draft site.  Last week he interviewed Kam Chancellor (6-3, 231) and his agent.  Both indicated that the Patriots were among the teams most interested.  If McGowan is on the outs, drafting Chancellor at 119 (a slight move up might be needed) makes sense.  The choice could come down to Edds or Chancellor or a WR with that 4th round pick.  It would depend what needs are met with the top 4 picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

I agree. I think given our current depth at DL plus the new signing, I think BB waits until later rounds to add depth. But, even with those we have on the current roster, I don't see a true 3-4 DE amongst the group other than Warren. 
    But, perhaps guys like Wright, maybe VW plays more DE and Brace steps up and moves to NT when we are in this set. If that could work, I think DL becomes less of a need early, and look to the later round guys we have all mentioned here as possibilities. 

So, if we are running more nickel defenses, it would presume that the need would be CB's, perhaps a safety type like Chancellor and a speedy LB. 

I am comfortable with the CB situation as it is today. I still think Meriweather should move back to the CB position, and if so, this opens up a spot for a guy like Chancellor to play alongside Chung/Sanders. 

As far as OLB's go...this is the big unknown of course...AD, Crable, McKenzie (McKenzie by the way has the same size as Weatherspoon in this draft, and I believe to be faster). So, perhaps we are better off in this position than we anticipate assuming McKenzie and Crable both come back and can contribute. 

I would advocate moving out of the 22nd spot and down into round 2, and pick up a 3rd in the process if we can find a trading partner. I think if we do this, we can have the following in no particular order;

Round 2 (4 picks)
    -Gronkowski/Hernandez (Our TE of the future)
    -Emmanual Sanders/DWilliams (both good route runners to serve as 2nd/3rd WR)
    -BGhee/DMcCourty (add quality depth at CB position)
    - Linval Joseph/Alualu (our 3-4 DE)

Round 3 (1 pick)
    Chancellor (our Rodney replacement)

Round 4 (1 pick)
    AJ Edds (speedy OLB, good motor)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Pats7393, in regard to not wanting a C/OG in the 1st, Pouncey's talent and size are lightyears ahead of the rest.  No one is even close IMHO.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

I'm with Mord on this one.  The Steelers are eying Pouncey at 18.  That's how good he is.  IMO Pouncey is a once in a decade C/OG.  His is big and fast and plays with a mean streak.  Gerald McCoy called him the toughest OL he's faced.  Pouncey's rating as a Center is as high as any player is rated for their position including Suh and Berry.

I read IQ/Pats discussion about Mankins/Neal with interest.  I agree when healthy Neal is a really good OG.  Mankins is a Pro Bowler.  Problem is Neal gets hurt often so how many games are you going to get out of him?  He is also up there, 34 in October.  I don't think Connolly is the answer but I think he is a solid back up. 

Heading into the draft Mankins is holding out.  We don't know how far apart the sides are on a new deal.  Mankins will likely sign the tender by June 30 but I don't see us tagging him after the season.  Koppen will be 31 when the season starts.  He made the Pro Bowl in 2007 but I don't see him going back any time soon.  He's helped when Mankins and Neal are both healthy.  Koppen is signed through 2011 at which point I could see Pouncey moving to Center. 

I will say that I don't think BB will take Pouncey as I think there are bigger needs and Brady is pretty supportive of his line but I would be delighted to hear his name called at 22.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, one of the other main reasons I am sooooo high on Pouncey is the HUGE increase in 3-4 Ds.  That will require a bigger, stronger Center to fight off the NTs.  Koppen is just not able to do that at all without serious help.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, I agree. I think given our current depth at DL plus the new signing, I think BB waits until later rounds to add depth. But, even with those we have on the current roster, I don't see a true 3-4 DE amongst the group other than Warren.  But, perhaps guys like Wright, maybe VW plays more DE and Brace steps up and moves to NT when we are in this set. If that could work, I think DL becomes less of a need early, and look to the later round guys we have all mentioned here as possibilities.  So, if we are running more nickel defenses, it would presume that the need would be CB's, perhaps a safety type like Chancellor and a speedy LB.  I am comfortable with the CB situation as it is today. I still think Meriweather should move back to the CB position, and if so, this opens up a spot for a guy like Chancellor to play alongside Chung/Sanders.  As far as OLB's go...this is the big unknown of course...AD, Crable, McKenzie (McKenzie by the way has the same size as Weatherspoon in this draft, and I believe to be faster). So, perhaps we are better off in this position than we anticipate assuming McKenzie and Crable both come back and can contribute.  I would advocate moving out of the 22nd spot and down into round 2, and pick up a 3rd in the process if we can find a trading partner. I think if we do this, we can have the following in no particular order; Round 2 (4 picks) -Gronkowski/Hernandez (Our TE of the future) -Emmanual Sanders/DWilliams (both good route runners to serve as 2nd/3rd WR) -BGhee/DMcCourty (add quality depth at CB position) - Linval Joseph/Alualu (our 3-4 DE) Round 3 (1 pick) Chancellor (our Rodney replacement) Round 4 (1 pick) AJ Edds (speedy OLB, good motor)
    Posted by PatsLifer

Pats,

I would not be surprised either if we trade 22.  If we can find someone willing to move up and giving up a high 2nd and 3rd it would seem to make sense.

I totally agree with the shortage of 34 DEs on the team and that we are loaded at DT.  Even to draft a developmental DT/DE we need to clear a roster spot.  We are currently carrying 5 RBs, most teams carry 4.  If we draft a Gerhart/Hardesty/Tate/Dwyer/Blount type we can cut Morris and Taylor, freeing up a spot and nearly $3MM allowing us to carry a 7th DL type on the 53 man roster.

The other thing to consider is there is NO FREAKIN WAY 12 draft picks are making this team.  We have to use our 4 comp picks but I could see us trading our 6th and two 7s to move up in the 4th.  I am not ruling out making a move with a 2nd and our 22 to move up if there is someone at 13-15 range that makes sense.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Woops. Posted I didn't think we should take a center because we have one. I'll have to watch some tape on him. Didn't realize he is a once every ten years type of player, you don't pass up on one of those when they fall to you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucet, one of the other main reasons I am sooooo high on Pouncey is the HUGE increase in 3-4 Ds.  That will require a bigger, stronger Center to fight off the NTs.  Koppen is just not able to do that at all without serious help.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

Excellent point!!!  Koppen needs Guard help now.  It would be great if we had a C who could fire out solo on the NT allowing the guards to hit the 2nd level and engage the LBs creating more running room.  If we add Pouncey and a big or speedy back that doesn't dance but explodes through the hole we could add perhaps a 0.3 to 0.5 yards per carry to our average. 

Beside pass rush, another HUGE thing missing last year was our smash mouth running game protecting leads.  How many 2nd half leads did we blow last year?  It was the difference in going 10-6 instead of 13-3 and earning a first round bye.  We need to be able to keep it on the ground with a 4th quarter lead and be able to move the chains, especially when the weather turns cold and windy. 

Pouncey makes a TON of sense.  Upgrading Morris and Taylor with one of the many big backs also makes a ton of sense.  Koppen could be traded for a 4th or 5th if we landed Pouncey or kept for depth.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Woops. Posted I didn't think we should take a center because we have one. I'll have to watch some tape on him. Didn't realize he is a once every ten years type of player, you don't pass up on one of those when they fall to you.
    Posted by mthurl

OMG, put on some tape.  Then watch the McCoy interview at the Combine.  Pouncey would be to the OL that Wilfork is to the DL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

If we packaged 22 and 44 we could move up to 13.  If McClain is there I think we would do it.  I know he's an ILB but he has the size and speed to play OLB in a 34.  My question is, assuming we somehow got McClain do you think we would use him as the thumper next to Mayo in the middle or try him outside when in our base 34 set?

When in a 43 I could see McClain manning the middle with Mayo and Guyton/Crable/McKenzie outside, right?

I'm not saying we should burn two picks on McClain but can anyone question the dynamic change he would bring to the center of our defense? Nobody will run on us.  We gave up a lot of big plays up the middle last year especially when Wilfork was hurt.  We lost the Baltimore play off game on the very first play right up the middle. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If we wanted to get ahead of DEN and MIA for either McClain or Williams it would cost us 22, 44, 119 and a 7th.  Jax might love to have their pick back at 44.  I'd consider doing something to get McClain, maybe 22, 44, both 7ths and a 2011 3rd since we already have a pair of firsts.  We could have a draft like this.

#10 (from Jax) ILB Rolando McClain
    #47 RB Toby Gerhart
    #53 TE Jimmy Graham
    #119 FS Kam Chancellor
    #190 DT Corey Peters
    #205 WR David Gettis
    #247 P Brent Bowden
    #248 TE Scott Sicko
    #250 WR Scott Long

Nah, I'm not buying it.  Would love to have McClain though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Cowboys cut Adams leaving a big hole at LT.  Hmm, the Pats have Matt Light for one more year.  Would we consider a trade of Light to Dallas for their 3rd, #91 overall?  Or, could we get their 2nd, #59 and give them Light and our 4th, #119, heck throw in the 7s?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

food for thought....Since Dallas let go Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin, they would seem to be in the market for both a tackle and a safety. Possibly 1 or 2 positions we could help them fill. Jerry likes to wheel and deal, good friends with Kraft....
    What are the chances we deal a safety to Dallas or possibly Light as well?

What could we get for either or both? (Vrabel/Cassel type package)..is it worth's Dallas' 2nd round pick?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Faucet..looks like we are both thinking about Dallas today.

I think Light and one of our safeties, or Light and a few picks would be attractive to Dallas given they need both, and it would free Jerry up to draft a stud WR as he wants. You got to think Jerry hates wasting draft picks on OL....he likes the sizzle. 

I had advocated possibly swapping 1sts with Jacksonville and giving them our 44, but I don't know anyone in this draft I would move that high up for who is on the board around the 10-15 range. I like McClain, Williams, Spiller, maybe JPP. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's a crack at a possible depth chart.  Drafted players are highlighted.  Players that could be cut or traded are in red.  There are 53 players listed and of course only 45 can suit for a game.  I did not include the 8 practice squad players.  What do you guys think?  Ages as of the start of the season are included for existing players.

OFFENSE 25 Players
    Slot24 Julian Edelman  PUP 29 W Welker
    WR#190 E. Sanders22 Brandon Tate 
    LOT32 Matt Light  
    LG28 Logan Mankins24 Ryan Wendell24 George Bussey
    C30 Dan Koppen#22 M. Pouncey 
    ROG34 Stephen Neal28 Dan Connolly24 Rich Ohrnberger
    RT31 Nick Kaczur26 S Vollmer28 Mark LeVoir
    TE32 Alge Crumpler#44 R. Gronkowski 
    QB33 Tom Brady24 Brian Hoyer 
    RB25 L Maroney34 Kevin Faulk34 Fred Taylor
    #53 B. Tate33 Sammy Morris