2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    [QUOTE]Patriots  one of three teams set to workout Syracuse DT Arthur Jones before the Draft
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Makes a lot of sense, good 3-4 type, projected top 50 pick before he was injured, would be great value if he slips into rounds 3-4.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Faucet, if Graham is gone, I can see us grabbing Kindle.  Sapp to me is way too early with his knee injury history.  Hughes is also early at 22.  This is a tough one to predict.  But I feel strongly that we need atleast 1 quality OLB to replenish the vault at that spot in this draft.  It will be easier to predict our spot when we see the early picks, so that we know if there is a run on a position or not. Part of me wonders if someone would bite on us giving 47 and 53 for their 1st out of San fran @17 Pitt @18 or Atl @19 and aim for Graham, Pouncey and in the 2nd get a WR or RB/TE and a TE/RB in the 4th
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Of course this assumes we stay in the 34, which we probably will although it sure looks like we are building a 43 team.  We don't need any LBs or DLs if we switch to a 43.  I'd still like Graham though since I think he will be better than TBC.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

Don't be shocked if we flip one of our 2nds for another 2011 first rounder.  There may be a few desperate must win teams willing to do it.  We would do it especially at 53 if we felt like we made 2-3 solid picks.  BB is always about loading up the picks for the future.  Hopefully he's happy with the pair of firsts but with 12 picks he will likely try to deal some of them away.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,
    based on the latest signing of DLewis, their invitations to Brian Price, and who we have on the roster along the DL, it sure appears we are headed for more 4-3. I would feel otherwise if we had a strong DE opposite Warren, then my thinking would tend to say DLewis is brought in to spell VW from time to time, and possibly on 3rd and long, and periodically if we switch to a 4-3. 
    Pats..based on Pats analysis, it looks like we are playing more run first teams next year. Perhaps this is BB's thinking all along...Regardless, I would like to see more DT's that can collapse the pocket and rush from the inside. 
    I think DE will be targeted early in this draft. Regardless of what we run, a guy like Alualu I think projects well as a 3-4 DE, or 4-3 DE. I think he could play both positions well. 
    I wonder if we will bring in the DE from Chicago that just go released...name escapes me at this point..that would be the kicker..LOL..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, based on the latest signing of DLewis, their invitations to Brian Price, and who we have on the roster along the DL, it sure appears we are headed for more 4-3. I would feel otherwise if we had a strong DE opposite Warren, then my thinking would tend to say DLewis is brought in to spell VW from time to time, and possibly on 3rd and long, and periodically if we switch to a 4-3.  Pats..based on Pats analysis, it looks like we are playing more run first teams next year. Perhaps this is BB's thinking all along...Regardless, I would like to see more DT's that can collapse the pocket and rush from the inside.  I think DE will be targeted early in this draft. Regardless of what we run, a guy like Alualu I think projects well as a 3-4 DE, or 4-3 DE. I think he could play both positions well.  I wonder if we will bring in the DE from Chicago that just go released...name escapes me at this point..that would be the kicker..LOL..
    Posted by PatsLifer

I'm thinking the same thing as crazy and as impossible as it sounds.  Alualu to me would be a nice pick at 44 or 48.  Can play either 1 gap or 2 gap.  That would give us 7 quality DLs which is more than a 34 team would normally carry.  A 34 team would usually carry between 10-11 LBs and we have 9 quality ones not counting A. Thomas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I'm thinking the same thing as crazy and as impossible as it sounds.  Alualu to me would be a nice pick at 44 or 48.  Can play either 1 gap or 2 gap.  That would give us 7 quality DLs which is more than a 34 team would normally carry.  A 34 team would usually carry between 10-11 LBs and we have 9 quality ones not counting A. Thomas.
    Posted by Faucetman

I might be looking light on the OL side but I think the roster could look something like this.  I don't think they do carry 5 RBs if they draft someone in the 2nd round.

QB2
    RB/FB5
    TE3
    OT4
    OG/C5
    WR5
    CB5
    S4
    LB11
    DE3
    DT6

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

faucet, based on the latest signing of DLewis, their invitations to Brian Price, and who we have on the roster along the DL, it sure appears we are headed for more 4-3. I would feel otherwise if we had a strong DE opposite Warren, then my thinking would tend to say DLewis is brought in to spell VW from time to time, and possibly on 3rd and long, and periodically if we switch to a 4-3.  Pats..based on Pats analysis, it looks like we are playing more run first teams next year. Perhaps this is BB's thinking all along...Regardless, I would like to see more DT's that can collapse the pocket and rush from the inside.  I think DE will be targeted early in this draft. Regardless of what we run, a guy like Alualu I think projects well as a 3-4 DE, or 4-3 DE. I think he could play both positions well.  I wonder if we will bring in the DE from Chicago that just go released...name escapes me at this point..that would be the kicker..LOL..
    Posted by PatsLifer

Pats,
    I'm not sure who they bring in for workouts is a good indicator of a change in defensive philosophy as they have also brought in a number of projected 3-4 DE's (Corey Peters, Al Woods, Arthur Jones etc.) and before all is said and done will probably have worked out a ton of both 3-4 and 4-3 personnel.

As for Price, the consensus seems to be that he has the versatility and skill set to be effective in both schemes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Toby-Gerhart-to-visit-Eagles-Ravens.html

have the pats worked him out?  I have not seen any report that says they have, I really hope he's a Patriot.  He is the Patriot way, I will be upset if they don't even look at him.  Although I really like Ben Tate I prefer Gerhart who might moving into the early 2nd or even late 1st.  The Vikes need a RB, they have the speed with AP they can get a thumper in Gerhart how good that one two punch would be?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I'm a big Demaryius Thomas fan.  I would be happy with that pick because I think Thomas could be the next Randy Moss.  I think he has that much potential.  However, maybe taking Decker at #53 or Roberts at #119 would make more sense from a risk prospective.
    Posted by Faucetman

faucet, why r u so high on this kid? he comes out of a spread offence and has no route running skills what so ever, havent seen him in months due to the foot injury so u know that toughness would be an issue, best WR in this daft is Damian Williams, hes got blazing speed, great hands great routes, and go over the middle hes got it all and people dont seem to see that...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

offense*

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : faucet, why r u so high on this kid? he comes out of a spread offence and has no route running skills what so ever, havent seen him in months due to the foot injury so u know that toughness would be an issue, best WR in this daft is Damian Williams, hes got blazing speed, great hands great routes, and go over the middle hes got it all and people dont seem to see that...
    Posted by TateGroup

Tate,
    I too have questions about his route running and transition to a pro-style offense, but all you have to do is put in the tape to see his natural athletic ability, he could have the most upside of any WR in this class.  I also don't think you can question his toughness based on him breaking his foot while training, what receiver plays and/or is effective with a broken foot?  The kid is by all accounts a tough, durable and physical competitor. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

well once you injure somthing it becomes more prone to weakness, unless you undergo rehab, ok maybe he is doing all he can to get fully healed, i guess well see what happens, but id much rather Tate or Williams, but i do understand what you're saying

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pats to work out another DE/OLB prospect, Hall Davis 6'4" 270

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2010/04/patriots-to-work-out-davis-cullen.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

ST/PR help?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Pair-of-UConn-prospects-lining-up-visits.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Easly is legit, he can certainly be a return man but he has the size and speed to develop into a top WR.  I have seen reports about the Pats showing interest in the 6'3" 210 sub 4.4 40.  His best football is ahead of him, has good hands but needs as a lot of WRs, work running routes.  He's projected in the 6th although he is getting some attention.  Possible replacement for Moss?

McClain played with Butler actually both did both are Connecticut players so a connection there and BB does pay some attention to that school

I read an interview with Butler where he says all his coverage in UConn were taken from the Patriots.  He said only the terminology was different but responsibilities were the same.  This could help another UConn guy transition and could compete with the Ws for the 4th spot.

Also I'm noticing the theme here, a lot of the visits are for late rounders or UDFAs.  McClain is not projected to be drafted, I think they are looking for solid players late in the draft.  Could this be an indicator they are about to trade picks early to move up? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Easly is legit, he can certainly be a return man but he has the size and speed to develop into a top WR.  I have seen reports about the Pats showing interest in the 6'3" 210 sub 4.4 40.  His best football is ahead of him, has good hands but needs as a lot of WRs, work running routes.  He's projected in the 6th although he is getting some attention.  Possible replacement for Moss? McClain played with Butler actually both did both are Connecticut players so a connection there and BB does pay some attention to that school I read an interview with Butler where he says all his coverage in UConn were taken from the Patriots.  He said only the terminology was different but responsibilities were the same.  This could help another UConn guy transition and could compete with the Ws for the 4th spot. Also I'm noticing the theme here, a lot of the visits are for late rounders or UDFAs.  McClain is not projected to be drafted, I think they are looking for solid players late in the draft.  Could this be an indicator they are about to trade picks early to move up? 
    Posted by Pats7393

I don't remember where I read it, might've been on here (something you or Low posted maybe?), but it's been stated that you shouldn't believe anything you hear in regards to player interest after a specific pre-draft date (April 1 maybe?) as most teams already have their draft boards completed.  So yes, it makes sense that they're doing their homework on some potential late round, URFA prospects.  I don't think it's so much that they're looking to move up as it is a reflection of how thorough and wide ranging their personnel dept is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I don't remember where I read it, might've been on here (something you or Low posted maybe?), but it's been stated that you shouldn't believe anything you hear in regards to player interest after a specific pre-draft date (April 1 maybe?) as most teams already have their draft boards completed.  So yes, it makes sense that they're doing their homework on some potential late round, URFA prospects.  I don't think it's so much that they're looking to move up as it is a reflection of how thorough and wide ranging their personnel dept is.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

That was me. It's a rule of thumb that draft boards are very well set prior to April 1st except for minor tweaking usually consisting of final details about health follow up's and off field background checks etc.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : That was me. It's a rule of them that draft boards are very well set prior to April 1st except for minor tweaking usually consisting of final details about health follow up's and off field background checks etc.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Working on a new article and looking to add some context to some of these stats.

Respond with any insightful information about any of these players/team situations that are relevant to their stats OR lack there of.

Things like; the QB was awful, multiple qb's, not a throwing team, heavy throwing team, was stuck behind multiple current NFL stud WR's on the depth chart, coach change, had a great qb, played against below avg talent every week, he was the only player the opposition had to stop, etc.

Year | Rec | Yrds | Avg

taylor price 

2009 56 784 14
    2008 51 694 13.6
    2007 33 464 14
    2006 9  77  8.6

andre roberts

2009 77 792  10.3
    2008 95 1334 14
    2007 78 1060 13.6
    2006 36 557  15.5

damian williams

2009 70 1010 14.4
    2008 58 869  15
    2007 19 235  12.4

riley cooper (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics)

2009 51 961 18.8
    2008 16 261 14.5
    2007 8  182 22.8
    2006 4  92  23

blair white

2009 70 990 14.1
    2008 43 659 15.3
    2007 3  25  8.3

eric decker (DNP combine)

2009 50 758  15.2 (DNP in last 4 games)
    2008 84 1074 12.8
    2007 67 909  13.6
    2006 26 378  14.5

mardy gilyard (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics)

2009 87 1191 13.7
    2008 81 1276 15.8
    2007 36 536  14.9

marcus Easley

2009 48 893 18.6 (DNP in 1st 3 games)
    2008 4  94  23.8
    2007 1  10  10

golden tate

2009 93 1469 16.1
    2008 58 1080 18.6
    2007 6  131  21.8

brandon lafell (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics)

2009 57 792 13.9
    2008 63 929 14.7
    2007 50 656 13.1
    2006 5  140 28

emmanuel sanders

2009 98 1339 13.7
    2008 67 958  14.3
    2007 74 889  12
    2006 46 605  13.2

arrelious benn (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics)

2009 38 490  12.9
    2008 67 1055 15.7
    2007 54 676  12.5

demaryius thomas (DNP combine)

2009 46 1154 25.1
    2008 39 627  16.1
    2007 35 558  15.9

carlton mitchell

2009 40 706 17.7
    2008 28 405 14.5
    2007 37 537 14.5 

Looking at the stats some obvious things arise. 

1) What happened to Arrelious Benn in 2009?

2) What was Riley Cooper doing for three years?

3) What was Marcus Easley doing for two years?

4) Hard to ignore Decker, Roberts, and Sanders "consistent" production.

5) Also hard to ignore back-to-back years of 1000+ yards by Tate and Gilyard

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Easly is legit, he can certainly be a return man but he has the size and speed to develop into a top WR.  I have seen reports about the Pats showing interest in the 6'3" 210 sub 4.4 40.  His best football is ahead of him, has good hands but needs as a lot of WRs, work running routes.  He's projected in the 6th although he is getting some attention.  Possible replacement for Moss? McClain played with Butler actually both did both are Connecticut players so a connection there and BB does pay some attention to that school I read an interview with Butler where he says all his coverage in UConn were taken from the Patriots.  He said only the terminology was different but responsibilities were the same.  This could help another UConn guy transition and could compete with the Ws for the 4th spot. Also I'm noticing the theme here, a lot of the visits are for late rounders or UDFAs.  McClain is not projected to be drafted, I think they are looking for solid players late in the draft.  Could this be an indicator they are about to trade picks early to move up? 
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

I was wondering what you meant by what I highlighted.  Move up where?

I came across Easley some time ago and was wondering why this guy was being some what over looked.  You can't teach size and speed so what's wrong with this guy?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I was wondering what you meant by what I highlighted.  Move up where? I came across Easley some time ago and was wondering why this guy was being some what over looked.  You can't teach size and speed so what's wrong with this guy?
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

That is what teams are trying to evaluate for themselves. He only did it for one season so I am sure they are trying to figure out why.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]Working on a new article and looking to add some context to some of these stats. Respond with any insightful information about any of these players/team situations that are relevant to their stats OR lack there of. Things like; the QB was awful, multiple qb's, not a throwing team, heavy throwing team, was stuck behind multiple current NFL stud WR's on the depth chart, coach change, had a great qb, played against below avg talent every week, he was the only player the opposition had to stop, etc. Year | Rec | Yrds | Avg taylor price  2009 56 784 14 2008 51 694 13.6 2007 33 464 14 2006 9  77  8.6 andre roberts 2009 77 792  10.3 2008 95 1334 14 2007 78 1060 13.6 2006 36 557  15.5 damian williams 2009 70 1010 14.4 2008 58 869  15 2007 19 235  12.4 riley cooper (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 51 961 18.8 2008 16 261 14.5 2007 8  182 22.8 2006 4  92  23 blair white 2009 70 990 14.1 2008 43 659 15.3 2007 3  25  8.3 eric decker (DNP combine) 2009 50 758  15.2 (DNP in last 4 games) 2008 84 1074 12.8 2007 67 909  13.6 2006 26 378  14.5 mardy gilyard (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 87 1191 13.7 2008 81 1276 15.8 2007 36 536  14.9 marcus Easley 2009 48 893 18.6 (DNP in 1st 3 games) 2008 4  94  23.8 2007 1  10  10 golden tate 2009 93 1469 16.1 2008 58 1080 18.6 2007 6  131  21.8 brandon lafell (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 57 792 13.9 2008 63 929 14.7 2007 50 656 13.1 2006 5  140 28 emmanuel sanders 2009 98 1339 13.7 2008 67 958  14.3 2007 74 889  12 2006 46 605  13.2 arrelious benn (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 38 490  12.9 2008 67 1055 15.7 2007 54 676  12.5 demaryius thomas (DNP combine) 2009 46 1154 25.1 2008 39 627  16.1 2007 35 558  15.9 carlton mitchell 2009 40 706 17.7 2008 28 405 14.5 2007 37 537 14.5  Looking at the stats some obvious things arise.  1) What happened to Arrelious Benn in 2009? 2) What was Riley Cooper doing for three years? 3) What was Marcus Easley doing for two years? 4) Hard to ignore Decker, Roberts, and Sanders "consistent" production. 5) Also hard to ignore back-to-back years of 1000+ yards by Tate and Gilyard

Playing behind Harvin, Louis Murphy, Andrew Caldwell and Dallas Baker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I was wondering what you meant by what I highlighted.  Move up where? I came across Easley some time ago and was wondering why this guy was being some what over looked.  You can't teach size and speed so what's wrong with this guy?
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

What I mean is the pats have holes to fill, with all their 6th and 7th round picks can they be looking to package a couple of their first 4 picks to move up and grab a player that migth slip down a bit.  So giving them less picks in the first two rounds but, with 4 comp picks in the last two rounds there are players this year that should make a roster and contribute whether on O or D specially in special teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What was Marcus Easley doing for two years?

He was playing in an offense that was built around on Donald Brown, once he was gone last year the personal they had in 2009 dictated a passing attack rather and been a running team.

He was was used primarily before 2009 as a PR I believe and last year when they decided to throw he stepped up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

[QUOTE]Working on a new article and looking to add some context to some of these stats. Respond with any insightful information about any of these players/team situations that are relevant to their stats OR lack there of. Things like; the QB was awful, multiple qb's, not a throwing team, heavy throwing team, was stuck behind multiple current NFL stud WR's on the depth chart, coach change, had a great qb, played against below avg talent every week, he was the only player the opposition had to stop, etc. Year | Rec | Yrds | Avg taylor price  2009 56 784 14 2008 51 694 13.6 2007 33 464 14 2006 9  77  8.6 andre roberts 2009 77 792  10.3 2008 95 1334 14 2007 78 1060 13.6 2006 36 557  15.5 damian williams 2009 70 1010 14.4 2008 58 869  15 2007 19 235  12.4 riley cooper (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 51 961 18.8 2008 16 261 14.5 2007 8  182 22.8 2006 4  92  23 blair white 2009 70 990 14.1 2008 43 659 15.3 2007 3  25  8.3 eric decker (DNP combine) 2009 50 758  15.2 (DNP in last 4 games) 2008 84 1074 12.8 2007 67 909  13.6 2006 26 378  14.5 mardy gilyard (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 87 1191 13.7 2008 81 1276 15.8 2007 36 536  14.9 marcus Easley 2009 48 893 18.6 (DNP in 1st 3 games) 2008 4  94  23.8 2007 1  10  10 golden tate 2009 93 1469 16.1 2008 58 1080 18.6 2007 6  131  21.8 brandon lafell (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 57 792 13.9 2008 63 929 14.7 2007 50 656 13.1 2006 5  140 28 emmanuel sanders 2009 98 1339 13.7 2008 67 958  14.3 2007 74 889  12 2006 46 605  13.2 arrelious benn (tested as avg at the underwear Olympics) 2009 38 490  12.9 2008 67 1055 15.7 2007 54 676  12.5 demaryius thomas (DNP combine) 2009 46 1154 25.1 2008 39 627  16.1 2007 35 558  15.9 carlton mitchell 2009 40 706 17.7 2008 28 405 14.5 2007 37 537 14.5  Looking at the stats some obvious things arise.  1) What happened to Arrelious Benn in 2009? 2) What was Riley Cooper doing for three years? 3) What was Marcus Easley doing for two years? 4) Hard to ignore Decker, Roberts, and Sanders "consistent" production. 5) Also hard to ignore back-to-back years of 1000+ yards by Tate and Gilyard

If you are comparing and constrating the receivers' production vs. potential, shouldn't you include Freddies Barnes?

Sections
Shortcuts