Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    faucet, I got to think Pioli knows this is a deep draft as well. He like us is trying to fill multiple spots. Although I agree he "owes" us, I doubt that will enter his decision making process as he needs to do what is best for his team. I don't think KC will trade based on your above, but I'll play along for a the sake of this board.  So, if this does go down with KC, I like your picks with a few adjustments... #36 - Best ...Theoretically, if we did draft Best, we could cut Morris & Taylor and save some case, plus open a roster spot that we could use on Defense. So, I like the idea, but not sure on the guy given his injuries. Like you say, if he checks out, this would be a nice pickup.  #44 - Gronkowski...Agree #48 - If given the choice of Dunlap or Alualu, I'm taking Alualu. I think he has more versatility as a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. Plus, if we are drafting Misi behind him, I like Alualu in this pick better.  #53 Misi...Agree. Like the way this kid plays.  #69 Veldheer...Hard to argue quality depth on OL,especially with Mankins situation.... #119 Shipley...Personally, I would rather see someone like Gettis, Easley or possibly another WR drafted here instead of Shipley.  I'm not going to touch the rest of the picks as I think all our 6's and 7's are tradeable less our compensatory picks.  Question...Although we have to make compensatory pick, does anyone know if we have to make pick at the slotted spot?...meaning, can we move up or back in same round or if it says, "pick 250" for example, we have to take at 250?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Can't argue with your adjustments.  We are already gambling on Best and Gronkowski so go with the safer Alualu instead of Dunlap although hard to pass on a guy who was a top 15 talent a month or so ago.  I like Shipley because he seems like he's just a solid football player who will bust his butt every day, but the idea there was to take best WR available at 119.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

oh and id take Dez or Golden, id rather speed now and not speed later

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Why does everything think Kindle will be a bust?  Do we know how he scored on the Wonderlick?  He seems like he's got the size/speed and pass rushing ability you want from a 34 OLB.  I think we'll likely stay away from anyone at #22 with off the field issues.  TEN reportedly is taking a long look at him.  Maybe they take him at 16.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

IMHO Kindle has all the tools but has a hard time showing it on the field.  He had something like 5 or 6 sacks and 20 QB hurries.  How does one judge a hurry and why didn't he get to the QB?  The hurry stat is the thing that bugs me.  How do you know a hurry and was the hurry credited to the right person.  The ratio between the sack and the hurry are kinda crazy too.  It just looks odd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

At #22 if any of the below players are there, I think we should use the pick on them.  I'm not including those I think have no chance of slipping this far.  This would be my order of priority.

Graham
    Iupati
    Mathews
    Gresham
    Pouncey

If none of these guys are there (and at least one should be) I think we should attempt to trade down.  If we can't trade down I would reluctantly take one of these guys in this order.

Odrick
    McCourty
    Tate

I'm just not sold on Odrick as high as #22.  I don't think he's as good as Ty Warren and we already have 6 DL types sure to make the 53 so who do you cut or do you carry 7?  Besides the draft is so loaded at DT that we can pick up better value later on and have almost the same chance that an Alualu, Thomas, Houston, etc can be as good as Odrick.

McCourty I really like.  He could ultimately end up being the best CB in the draft.  He and Wilson are dynamic in the return game.  Springs and McGowan are likely gone and Wheatley to this point is a bust so we could use some secondary depth.  McCourty could end up beating out the other young CBs and start opposite Bodden.

I like Tate but let's face it BB has never taken a WR in the first.  If Dez slips to us it would be interesting but again, I doubt we take a player with issues that high.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

My last mock looks like this.

17SFOG   SS   CB   DT   DE   QB  Mike Iupati
    18PITOT   OG   CB   C   DT   DE   ILB  Maurkice Pouncey
    19ATLOG   DT   OLB   WR   DE   KBrandon Graham
    20HOUOG   RB   DT   CB   OLB   FS   WR  Ryan Mathews
    21CINDE   OLB   OG   DT   FB   TE  Jermaine Gresham

All 5 of the guys I like near our #22 come off the board right in front of us.  I think we need to make a play to get down to #19 to ensure we can get Graham, Mathews or Gresham.  I would be delighted with any of those 3. 

Since Atlanta doesn't have a 2nd round pick we swap 22 for 19 and swap our 53 for their 83.  The point value is perfect at 1050 each.  We come out of the first day knowing we found our new passing rushing freak, our future franchise back or a very gifted and dangerous TE for Brady.

We regroup and on the second day we are sitting at 44, 48 and 83.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Happy Friday Boys,

Of course it’s only my opinion, but I feel pretty good about this mock and players in it.

It provides and instant upgrade along the DL, some potential offensive weapons at TE/RB/WR, talented depth and size at CB, a good sized OLB with some upside and some intelligent, high motor, high character “football players” in the late rounds. 

You’ll notice some of my “usual suspects” but also a couple of new names to keep things fresh.

Of course there are alternative picks that I think will be on the radar, but I couldn’t fit everyone in.  Players that I like and think are good fits in NE are:

*Added after original post*  WR Golden Tate ND- My thoughts on him are well documented.

LB- AJ Edds Iowa- Extremely versatile, good size speed and quickness, great in coverage.

S- Myron Rolle FSU- Extremely intelligent player which will appeal to BB, also has great athleticism and upside.

WR- Riley Cooper FLA- Great size and quickness, good athleticism, projects as a potential possession WR and red zone target at the NFL level.

* Added after original post* WR- Eric Decker Minnesota- Big, tough, smart WR prospect that has been extremely productive In the Big 10, projects as atleast a #2 WR.

OLB- Koa Misi Utah- Good size, speed and athleticism, projects as a potential 3-4 OLB or maybe ILB, a true “football player”.

DT- Tyson Alualu Cal- High motor, high character DL prospect with good size and versatility.  Could be effective in both a 34 and 43 scheme another “football player”.

Let me know your thoughts. 

22        DL Jared Odrick- (6-5 300) Penn State-  Possesses ideal size and length for a BB 3-4 DE and has the versatility and skill set to be effective in both a 34 and 43 scheme.  Should be the starter opposite Warren from day 1.

44        TE Aaron Hernandez- (6-2 245) Florida-  Fast, quick, athletic, productive and versatile offensive weapon that BB can move all over the field.

47        RB Toby Gerhart- (6-0 231) Stanford-  The future lead back and fan favorite.  Good quickness and power and is effective as both a pass blocker and receiver out of the backfield.

53        CB Jerome Murphy- (6-0 196) USF-  Big, physical CB prospect with good speed and quickness, good tackler and nose for the ball (8 career INT's, 4 in 2009), experience in both zone and man schemes,  will also provide value on special teams.  You can't have enough quality CB's in todays NFL.

119      WR Emmanuel Sanders- (5-11 186) SMU- Great speed, quickness and big play ability, was ultra productive in college. 

190      OLB Daniel Te'o-Nesheim- (6-3 263) Washington-  Great size for a hybrid 3-4 OLB, great motor, high character, good production in college getting after the QB and making plays behind the LOS (30 sacks, 47 TFL).

205      DL Al Woods- (6-4 309) LSU-  Big, thick, strong DL prospect that plays with great leverage and strength at the POA, appears to be good fit as a 34 DE and an ideal 2 down run stuff at the NFL level.

229      OT Chris Marinelli- (6-7 301) Stanford-  Tough, smart, durable OT prospect that plays with a nasty demeanor and will provide some OL depth.

231      WR Kerry Meier- (6-2 224) Kansas-   Extremely smart, high charcter kid with good size and quickness, run's good routes, good production at the college level. 

247      TE Jim Dray- (6-5 246) Stanford-  Good size and projects as a potential two way TE at the NFL level.

248      S Kyle McCarthy- (6-0 205) ND-  Smart kid, good nose for the ball, gym rat, film rat, will do what it takes to get better.

250      LB Matt Mayberry- (6-1 235) Indiana- Plays with a great motor and speed (4.5 40) for a LB, also shows good instincts and a nose for the ball (108 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 3 INT's in 2009).  He should earn a spot on special teams.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Middle Tennessee State hybrid Chris McCoy will visit the #Patriots next week:  http://bit.ly/cHRr3o

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Decker to visit Patriots -http://b.globe.com/bkLHMo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Decker to visit Patriots - http://b.globe.com/bkLHMo
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I like it!  You also reminded me that I needed to add him to the "alternatives" section of my most recent mock.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Why does everything think Kindle will be a bust?  Do we know how he scored on the Wonderlick?  He seems like he's got the size/speed and pass rushing ability you want from a 34 OLB.  I think we'll likely stay away from anyone at #22 with off the field issues.  TEN reportedly is taking a long look at him.  Maybe they take him at 16.
    Posted by Faucetman

I don't think he's a bust waiting to happen.

He is not a "pure" pass rusher like some of the smaller guys but he's a better 3 down(all around player than those guys in my opinion)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I don't think he's a bust waiting to happen. He is not a "pure" pass rusher like some of the smaller guys but he's a better 3 down(all around player than those guys in my opinion)
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I think that's a safe assessment in regards to his pass rush ability. 

I just watched some tape on Kindle, while his speed and quickness are evident, he doesn't show the ability to consistently disengage from his blocker.  Granted that was Trent Williams the bulk of the time, but that's a good measuring stick.  At this point I don't see him as an impact pass rusher at the NFL level which is what you'd ideally like to get in round 1. It looks like he's trying to bull rush his man all the time with no usage of secondary moves, whether by lack of technique or schematic design, he's not able to disengage and beat his man. I don't think he'll be able to out speed and out athletic guys at the NFL level as he's able to do against a lot of guys in college, that is what I think his problem will be.  Is the speed, quickness and athleticism there?  No doubt.  Can harness all of that natural speed and talent to develop into a quality 3 down backer?  That's TBD.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : The new Guys look pretty good. I have some Questions for you. Don´t you think we can almost for sure get Aaron Hernandez at #53 i think some other TE are making a lot of noise in past days, i think we can have him at #53. I love Toby G. at #47 ¿Who gets cut in the backfield? I´ll go for Morris, so we can have Lawrece M, Toby G, Fred T, Faulk & Law Firm  ¿Too many right? so ¿who else gets cut? i think we can have a great year out of Fred Taylor still... At # 44 don´t you think we have to go either DL or OLB depending on what position we drafted at #22?  If it´s Odrick at #22 then we get an OLB. If we get Graham or Hughes or Griffen in the 1st round, then we go DL with the #44. 2 WR in this draft = YES YES YES !!! hopefully at the 4th & 3rd (lets trade next year 2nd & A. Thomas for a decent 3rd) We need a Punter don´t you think ?  As Faucet said... let´s take the best one with a 6th Rounder. I sincerely don´t feel we need to draft a Safety this year Brandon M. is improving each year, We have to give Chung a chance to shine, Sanders is a veteran that helps a lot & McWogan (spelling) for me made some key plays last year, some good games (Atlanta), turnovers. What do you think of Dexter McCluxter, Damian Williams, Brian Price & Austen Lane as alternative picks ??? FELIZ VIERNES !!! (Happy Friday)
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

My responses in red: The new Guys look pretty good. I have some Questions for you.

Don´t you think we can almost for sure get Aaron Hernandez at #53 i think some other TE are making a lot of noise in past days, i think we can have him at #53.
     No, I can’t say with any certainty that he’ll be available at 53, sure it’s possible, but not a guarantee.

I love Toby G. at #47 ¿Who gets cut in the backfield? I´ll go for Morris, so we can have Lawrece M, Toby G, Fred T, Faulk & Law Firm  ¿Too many right? so ¿who else gets cut? i think we can have a great year out of Fred Taylor still...
     I’m not as high on Law Firm as most.  I think he’s a one dimensional player as I don’t think he provides much value outside of a potential short yardage back.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Sammy or Fred cut, assuming they take a back this high.

At # 44 don´t you think we have to go either DL or OLB depending on what position we drafted at #22?  If it´s Odrick at #22 then we get an OLB. If we get Graham or Hughes or Griffen in the 1st round, then we go DL with the #44.
     If they pass on a DL in rd 1, yes, I could see them addressing this need at 44 with a guy like Tyson Alualu.

2 WR in this draft = YES YES YES !!! hopefully at the 4th & 3rd (lets trade next year 2nd & A. Thomas for a decent 3rd)

We need a Punter don´t you think ?  As Faucet said... let´s take the best one with a 6th Rounder.
     Yes, certainly a possibility to take one with a 6th or 7th rounder.  

I sincerely don´t feel we need to draft a Safety this year Brandon M. is improving each year, We have to give Chung a chance to shine, Sanders is a veteran that helps a lot & McWogan (spelling) for me made some key plays last year, some good games (Atlanta), turnovers.
     IMO, from what I’ve read, Brandon McGowan is a punk and I’d like to see him gone.  With that being said, I don’t think taking a safety in Rd 7 is overkill at the position.  They have an excess of picks in the late rounds, so why not try to bring in some potential depth.

What do you think of Dexter McCluxter, Damian Williams, Brian Price & Austen Lane as alternative picks ???
     I like McCluster, he has good speed, quickness, versatility and big play ability and was productive in the toughest conference in America. I think Williams has the potential to be a decent # 2. Price is a highly rater player that appears to have some schematic versatility.  I believe NE had him in this past week? I think BB will have interest in Lane’s size and potential as an edge player.  He played at a lower level of competition and will probably be pretty raw, but the size and length is certainly there.

FELIZ VIERNES !!! (Happy Friday)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

WHAT PLAYER IS THE BEST FIT FOR NEW ENGLAND DEFENSE? Of ALL players available in the 2010 class. Position, Weight, Height, Speed, Personality, game I say : Rolando MacClain What do you say?
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

If I could choose any player, I'd take Suh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Patriots worked out CB Dominique Franks http://bit.ly/dhF3hI

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it appears Corey Wootton  has worked out for the Pat's:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Corey-Wooton-has-visited-the-Patriots-Bills-Chiefs-and-Jets.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Northwestern QB Mike Kafka worked out for the Pat's:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Kafka-worked-out-for-Pats-Browns-Bengals-Raiders.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

PFP: 2010 Consensus TE Position Rankings http://bit.ly/9dL73f

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

PFP: 2010 Consensus WR Position Rankings http://bit.ly/cyavSx

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I can't find where the Pats have visited with Kindle.  Very strange.  Either they are so not interested for various reasons or they are smoke screening acting disinterested.  I think they are not interested.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hey Guys, just a little fun Question to star off the Weekend. ¿BASED IN OUR MEASUREMENTS ONLY WHAT POSITION COULD WE PLAY FOR THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS? I´m Height : 6-1 ft Weight : 253 lbs
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

At 5-10 210, I'd say I'm a safety.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : What am I? Undersize MLB or FB, Small TE ??? help !!
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

I'd go with a 3-4 MLB, that's pretty good size for the position, assuming you can move well and have some speed, ha.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

6-3 and 175. I would say I am a kicker.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : HAhahahahaha MLB yes !!!!!!!!!!!  I think the fastest i ever ran it was a 5.5 40yds. as a freshman in college. That was before i blew my acl the first time... ho well !!!
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

i'm 6-3, 267 and used to run a 4.7 when I was 188.  I'd probably be right there with Rich Eisen now.

14 reps at 225 but I'm 47, so would have to be a place kicker.  Looking for a one year deal at this point.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

5'7" and 212 ---24 reps of 225. Leg press 800+ I am a short RB alla MJD
    And perfect for the Pats as I am 30+ yrs old :)

Sections
Shortcuts