2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Lol. You just said you were sick of all the Tebow talk! To counter your Dungy and Gruden comments, both those guys are either idiots (Gruden) or incredibly partial (Dungy) to a Christian athlete.  Gruden drafted Cadillac Williams top 5, and once had 4 or 5 qbs on his roster in Tampa Bay. I think he loves many QB's, and that he's not the greatest guy for picking talent. Dungy loves to play the great, Christian man and I'm sure he'd love to see another great Christian drafted high. Hence the support.  Let's be honest here, do you see Tebow revolutionizing the QB position? It's one thing to say he could develop, but another to say he's going to change the game.  I liked your draft, but I could see the Pats picking a WR in round 2. I would love Graham in a Pats uni next year. I also don't see them picking KC. The chatter about Merriweather being a bad leader has largely been on this board. I think he's a knucklehead too, but I remember Belichick mentioning Mayo and Merriweather in January when there was a lot of scrutiny over the Pats leadership. I think it was in the Reiss' blog when Bruschi was talking about leadership.  In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Both guys won Super Bowls.  Okay, that's my last word on Tebow unless I'm provoked again, or until we draft him, lol.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

"Crable, McKenzie and Tate"

'At least one of these three has to develop into an NFL position player. I think all three could find spots in special teams, but in reality I would like it if one became a bonafide starter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Me too. Until I'm provoked again too lol.

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Both guys won Super Bowls.  Okay, that's my last word on Tebow unless I'm provoked again, or until we draft him, lol.
    Posted by Faucetman

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I haven't seen alot of Tebow, but I'm not all that impressed with him running a 4.7. Most linebackers should be able to catch him. He's elusive, but he runs a bit upright and 240 pound guys aren't exactly known to be slippery. If he can't fit the ball into tight spots with accuracy consistently, I wouldn't draft him based soley on his running skills or because "he's a winner".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If Bruce Campbell slips to #44 do we take him?  Assuming we did would we play  him at LT or RT?  He'd make one heck of a pulling guard.  CBS has him ranked right at #44 now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Hey Rockdog,

mthurl is trying to provoke us again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Lol. I turned on my Tebow filter so I don't know what you're talking about.

You had an interesting comment regarding the 4-3 and the three guys who could contribute next year (Tate, McK, and Crable). I think Crable is useless unless he matures or can handle the rigors of the NFL life. I'm not expecting much from him. 

Tate could contribute as a returner and it seems like the Pats brass think he might have some impact as a receiver. Maybe he could fill a David Patten type role bc I think their skills sets are kind of similar. 

McK is a guy that's hard not to root for. I'm hoping he can be a better 3-4 option than Guyton, with Guyton playing in more of a 4-3 OLB/coverage type of role. With the guys they're looking at it could speak to them using the 4-3 more. Their personnel is closer to a 4-3 team at this point anyhow.

If Tate and McK contribute it would speak a lot to the young core going forward. I'd give some time for them both to contribute, though, since they're both rookies essentially. 

Hey Rockdog, mthurl is trying to provoke us again.
    Posted by Faucetman

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Back to reality. #22 DE/OLB Brandon Graham - move up to 19 if we have to.  We have a solid 43 DL today.  Adding Graham gives us the edge rusher we need.  Assuming we stay a base 34 team we are still in the nickel and 4 DL sets enough where Graham will make an impact.  If he can play a little 34 OLB, so much the better but the value is there even if he isn't stellar at OLB.  Replacing Seymour isn't in the cards this year and I would not spend another top pick on the DL this year. #44 OLB Daryl Washington - This move make our transition to 43 complete or at least gives our nickel and sub packages a big boost on the outside.  We now have perhaps the fastest and most athletic LB corps anywhere. #48 TE Rob Gronkowski - If he clears medical, he's the best TE in the draft.  With Welker on the shelf, gives Brady a big target to work the middle. #53 WR/RB Dexter McCluster - I just think he's a must have player.  Adds depth at WR (especially in the slot), RB and overnight he bolsters the return game.  Just a special player that is quicker than he is fast.  Makes people miss.  Give him 10-12 touches a game and he will be electric.  Love him. #119 FS Kam Chancellor - With McGowan a cancer in the locker room and now with questions about Meriweather's character there is a need at Safety.  At this point you draft for depth, not for starters.  I also like Andre Roberts here.
    Posted by Faucetman

When asked about Dexter being similar to Faulk, BB said " Faulk is 202 lbs and Dexter is 175. That's a big difference." Not reading too much into it as BB is as unpredictable as JaMarcus Russell's weight, but I have a feeling that he is not really suited as a 3rd down back, unless he bulks up to 200 lbs. Faulk is amazing in blitz pick up and has repeatedly thrown himself in front of vicious OLB, and MLBs. I don't think Dexter can handle that duty yet. He will be a good return man, but I think BB is pretty high on Tate for that purpose.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Dude, I can sign you to a semi pro deal tomorrow:)))).  Very excellent speed.  Can you return punts?  That seems to be a need with Welker on the shelf.
    Posted by Faucetman

You have no idea how much I would absolutely love to play at any level. I just love the game. Unfortunately, I just injured my knee, and I'm in the middle of rehab. It might be a few months before I can fully run again. It's quite depressing--I was doing double backtucks, and now I'm reduced to relearning how to walk. I was thinking of trying out for Cirque du Soliel this year, but that's obviously been put on hold. :(

Oh, and Zbellino! It's good to see you posting! I used to enjoy our discussions last year. I'm quite pleased to say that most of our choices played pretty well, whether with the Pats or another team.

Since you're an LSU guy, can you give us a rundown on Al Woods and Chad Jones? I really like Jones a lot, but I'm not sure if there's a position for him on the Patriots. Woods is an enigma to me, and I'd appreciate your input. I just can't seem to get a good sense of how he'll do at the next level. Promising tools, and seems to hold up well against the run, but something just doesn't seem right. Can you sell me on him as a developmental 34 end?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

It worked...I'm sufficiently provoked..draft for Sunday afternoon football , not Sunday morning Sunday school...NO TEBOW....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

If Bruce Campbell slips to #44 do we take him?  Assuming we did would we play  him at LT or RT?  He'd make one heck of a pulling guard.  CBS has him ranked right at #44 now.
    Posted by Faucetman

I'd be happy to take him, yes, because I believe Light will start at LT this year, with Vollmer at RT. Give Campbell a year to break his bad habits (he hops instead of using a kick slide, doesn't punch as hard as he should given his strength in addition to not fully extending, fails to get low and road-grade in the run game, and often overextends on the initial move, making himself vulnerable to inside counters, etc), and he will surprise. Also, he needs a physical trainer to teach him how to move, not just how to pump iron--his hips are incredibly stiff right now.

With a year on the bench and solid movement coaching, I trust Scar to turn him into an above-average player his first year as a starter, and a pro bowler by his second (three years from now, in the "let Light start and Campbell learn" scenario). Campbell has the best physical tools I've ever seen in a tackle (aside from Vollmer, perhaps--and even then, Campbell is faster), and he fits the new prototype the Patriots seem to be looking for at 6'7 #315. A Bruce Campbell/Sebastian Vollmer tandem could be the best in the league within a few years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

That 22nd pick is looking more fun all the time.  There are so many directions in which the Pats could go.  Here's my gaffe.  Everyone should be familiar with the names by now.

22 - Mathews, RB
    44 - Alualu, DE
    47 - Graham, TE
    53 - Misi, OLB
    119 - Roberts, WR, Roberts caught my eye in the senior bowl but I didn't see a whole lot on him.  He stood out to me for some reason. 

Other thoughts.  Sure would have liked Brandon Graham but I think he's up there now and the expense might be a bit much.  Koppen needs to be replaced and the Pats may dump Light after this year.  OL is going to need a boost.  I look for next year to fill those spots. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Let's talk slipping players and which ones we'd take at a position of value, sure there is risk (that's why they've slipped), but there could be big rewards.

Here are the players and where I now have them on my big board.

#18 Dez Bryant
    #32 Taylor Mays
    #42 Jahvid Best
    #43 Carlos Dunlap
    #44 Bruce Campbell
    #60 Jonathan Dwyer
    #78 Brandon LaFell
    #82 Dominique Franks
    #89 Dennis Pitta
    #102 Brandon Spikes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Of Crable, McKenzie and Tate, I would not count on any of them to produce as a starter, but my heart is routing for McKenzie. I think McKenzie can be a nice 3-4 ILB, or 4-3 OLB. 

I'm at a point now where I would like to really retool the defense. Not sure who commented here, but also Pryor's comments of guys slacking off and not being ready to play. If I had it my way, I would like to cut/trade the following players on D;
    Meriweather
    Guyton
    McGowan
    AD
    Woods
    Alexander

I know...that's a lot of cuts/trades or whatever, but we need to turn this thing around. It's one thing to draft a few D spots based on talent, but if you are adding good talent to bad attitudes/slackers, what do you get? 

Based on the draft and starters left after you cut the above clowns, here is my opening day D;

Alualu (#44), Wilfork, Warren
    McKenzie, Mayo, Spikes (#1XX), Misi (#53)
    Butler, Bodden
    Sanders/Chung

**I'm getting a 3rd rounder for Meriweather trade and selecting Spikes. Meriweather goes to Cleveland, they have multiple 3rds, and give us a 4th.
    ***using #119 on Kam Chancellor

In reserve...DLewis, MWright, Pryor, Brace
    Wilhite, Wheatley, Chancellor, TBC, Ninkovich, etc.
    (Using my later round picks to build ILB, CB and WR depth)

With pick #22 I am taking MB's boy GTate or DThomas, or trade 22 to say 25-28 and do the same, pick up a 3rd.
    With pick #47 I am taking Groknowski...

OK....what are your thoughts boys?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Best and Spikes stick out to me. If they aren't afraid of Best's injuries then I could see the Pats getting him at good value.

Let's talk slipping players and which ones we'd take at a position of value, sure there is risk (that's why they've slipped), but there could be big rewards. Here are the players and where I now have them on my big board. #18 Dez Bryant #32 Taylor Mays #42 Jahvid Best #43 Carlos Dunlap #44 Bruce Campbell #60 Jonathan Dwyer #78 Brandon LaFell #82 Dominique Franks #89 Dennis Pitta #102 Brandon Spikes
    Posted by Faucetman

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I think that's too much turnover, and Merriweather is safe in the eyes of BB. 

You also have 3 ILB's and 1 OLB (McKenzie isn't an outside rusher) instead of 2 and 2. I also hope McK will turn into a starter and like his attitude.

Also, it's tough to speculate who the bad apples are. For all we know Wilfork could've been one of them last year, so I don't think it's fair to accuse Merriweather because he acts like an idiot. The only guy you can really single out is Thomas unless you are someone who works for the team.

Of Crable, McKenzie and Tate, I would not count on any of them to produce as a starter, but my heart is routing for McKenzie. I think McKenzie can be a nice 3-4 ILB, or 4-3 OLB.  I'm at a point now where I would like to really retool the defense. Not sure who commented here, but also Pryor's comments of guys slacking off and not being ready to play. If I had it my way, I would like to cut/trade the following players on D; Meriweather Guyton McGowan AD Woods Alexander I know...that's a lot of cuts/trades or whatever, but we need to turn this thing around. It's one thing to draft a few D spots based on talent, but if you are adding good talent to bad attitudes/slackers, what do you get?  Based on the draft and starters left after you cut the above clowns, here is my opening day D; Alualu (#44), Wilfork, Warren McKenzie, Mayo, Spikes (#1XX), Misi (#53) Butler, Bodden Sanders/Chung **I'm getting a 3rd rounder for Meriweather trade and selecting Spikes. Meriweather goes to Cleveland, they have multiple 3rds, and give us a 4th. ***using #119 on Kam Chancellor In reserve...DLewis, MWright, Pryor, Brace Wilhite, Wheatley, Chancellor, TBC, Ninkovich, etc. (Using my later round picks to build ILB, CB and WR depth) With pick #22 I am taking MB's boy GTate or DThomas, or trade 22 to say 25-28 and do the same, pick up a 3rd. With pick #47 I am taking Groknowski... OK....what are your thoughts boys?
    Posted by PatsLifer

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Is there anyway Wilson drops to 22?  I don't think there's any way specially with Houston sitting at 20 but anyone see a scenario he does?   Only one I can think off is if Haden falls to TN and Houston goes with McCorty over Wilson but that's a lot of ifs.
    Posted by Pats7393

Agreed. Possible, yes. Likely I don't know.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Does this mean nobody thinks Hoyer can be the QB of the future?  They must think highly of him for him to be the only other QB in the roster specially when you consider last year TB was coming off such a major injury.
    Posted by Pats7393

I think that those who say no way forget Cassel and there have been others. I have no idea but to just assume right now at this very point in time that there is absolutely no way is well just wrong.

I think the real issue is Hoyers age vs Brady's age and expected number of years still left to play. At least I hope that is people's rational.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I strongly disagree with taking a corner.  We have Leigh Bodden locked up long term and I feel we should give Butler another year or two before we take a corner in the 1st two rounds again.  Last year was different since we really didn't have any corners locked up long term.
    Posted by titletownfan

The argument would be IF Wilhite and Wheatley are OK at best you have nothing for starters if either Bodden or Butler gets hurt. Springs if he makes the team.  That position typically gets a lot of injuries so are you ready to rely on those guys as starts right now based on what you have seen so far?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Everyone said Doug Flutie was too short to be an NFL quarterback too.  Physically, Tebow is a much better athlete than Brady.  Tebow runs a 4.7 40, has a 38-1/2 vertical.  What did Brady do at the Combine, anyone remember? At the 2000 N.F.L. scouting combine, Brady ran the 40 in 5.23 seconds, recorded a vertical jump of 24 ½ inches and saw a column of quarterbacks leap ahead of him on teams’ draft lists. Tebow needs to work on his throwing motion, his footwork when under center, 3, 5, 7 step drops, and his reads.  These are all correctable especially when you work your butt off and have time to learn.  I'm not advocating we take him, I'm saying we might if BB believes he can't extend Brady more than 3 years and if he believes Tebow will be successful.  Don't be shocked if we take him, I won't be.  Disappointed, yes, but not shocked. You are acting like Tebow is a bum because a few idiots knocked his throwing motion, which by all accounts improved dramatically at his pro day.  Let's look at his accomplishments. National Champion Tim Tebow was the first college football player to both rush and pass for twenty or more touchdowns in a single season and was the first college sophomore to win the Heisman.  As a college sophomore during the 2007 season, he became the Gators' starting quarterback and broke the SEC records for both rushing touchdowns and total touchdowns accounted for in a single season.  In addition to winning the Heisman Trophy, he also earned the Maxwell Award as the nation's top football player becoming the only player in history to win the award TWICE, the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best quarterback, and the James E. Sullivan Award as the nation's most outstanding amateur athlete in any sport. College awards and honors 2006 season SEC All-Freshman Team [ 69 ] SEC Freshman of the Week [ 70 ] 2007 season Walter Camp Foundation National Offensive Player of the Week [ 71 ] Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Week, three times [ 72 ] [ 73 ] [ 74 ] Davey O'Brien Award winner [ 75 ] Heisman Trophy winner Maxwell Award winner [ 75 ] Walter Camp Award finalist [ 76 ] Sporting News Player of the Year Harley Award winner NCAA QB of the Year [ 77 ] ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American football team [ 78 ] Manning Award finalist [ 78 ] Rivals.com National Offensive Player of the Year [ 79 ] Rivals.com SEC Offensive Player of the Year [ 80 ] First-team All-SEC ( Associated Press , [ 81 ] Coaches, [ 82 ] Rivals.com [ 80 ] ) Associated Press SEC Offensive Player of the Year [ 81 ] Associated Press Player of the Year [ 83 ] First-team All-American by: Associated Press , Football Writers Association of America , Walter Camp Football Foundation , Sporting News , Sports Illustrated , ESPN , CBS Sports , College Football News , Rivals.com , and Scout.com James E. Sullivan Award , awarded to the Nations top amateur athlete [ 84 ] Roy F. Kramer SEC Male Athlete of the Year. [ 85 ] Third Florida Gator to win this award, Danny Wuerffel (won twice) and Ryan Lochte . ESPY for Best Male College Athlete [ 86 ] 2008 season First-team All-America by College Football News . Disney Spirit Award [ 87 ] ESPY for Best Male College Athlete Heisman Trophy finalist Manning Award winner Maxwell Award winner Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Week [ 88 ] 2008 SEC Championship Game Most Valuable Player First-team All-SEC (AP, [ 89 ] Coaches, [ 90 ] Rivals.com [ 91 ] ) Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Year Southeastern Conference Scholar-Athlete of the Year [ 92 ] Wuerffel Trophy winner 2009 season William V. Campbell Trophy (formerly the Vincent dePaul Draddy Trophy, "The Academic Heisman") winner Lowe's Senior CLASS Award Heisman Trophy finalist First-team All-SEC (AP, [ 93 ] Coaches, [ 94 ] Rivals.com [ 95 ] ) Second-team All-America ( Walter Camp Foundation ) Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Year You're right rockdog, Tebow's a bum and will be a bust in the NFL.
    Posted by Faucetman

I only have three things to say about Tebow.

1) He's a great athlete
    2) He's a Winner
    3) If he was black no one would even be talking about him other than to say he's just another QB in a long string of athletic QB's

...and that's not to say I think he can't or won't be successful as you know I have previously said I would not be one to bet against the kid. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

McCluster was one of the first guys I advocated bringing in. I was shocked when his combine 40 was so slow, but he improved that. Not that it mattered, because on film he is lights out quick.  The only thing that worries me is his size. He was hidden in college. They wanted to use him sparingly because he is very, very small. I mean, small on the order that just isn't seen in the NFL. 
    Posted by zbellino

That's why people were shocked. They assumed he was fast. He's NOT. He's quick and that's much more important in the game of football.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Dexter McCluster - 5-9, 172 DeSean Jackson - 5-10, 175 Worked out pretty good for the Eagles.
    Posted by Faucetman

Different guys though so not a good comparison. One's a stretch the field fast guy and the other is a quick guy.

I like McCluster I just wish he offered more in way of blocking like Faulk does. Faulk is so effective because you do not know what the Pats will do when he is in there.

Don't get me wrong, I love Faulk but his production is 100% aided by the Patriots offense being much less predictable when he is in there vs. the other backs. I do not blame the other backs I blame the OC and ultimately BB for it.

If McCluster can't stay in to block I think it becomes pretty predictable, if he's in the backfield I mean.

As a receiver he's going to be very difficult to cover in short space. Although they said Weatherspoon covered him like a blanket during senior bowl week.

2010 Senior Bowl Stats for McCluster

3 receptions for 30 yards
    3 rushes for -1 yards
    3 KO returns for 66 yards

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Of Crable, McKenzie and Tate, I would not count on any of them to produce as a starter, but my heart is routing for McKenzie. I think McKenzie can be a nice 3-4 ILB, or 4-3 OLB.  I'm at a point now where I would like to really retool the defense. Not sure who commented here, but also Pryor's comments of guys slacking off and not being ready to play. If I had it my way, I would like to cut/trade the following players on D; Meriweather Guyton McGowan AD Woods Alexander I know...that's a lot of cuts/trades or whatever, but we need to turn this thing around. It's one thing to draft a few D spots based on talent, but if you are adding good talent to bad attitudes/slackers, what do you get?  Based on the draft and starters left after you cut the above clowns, here is my opening day D; Alualu (#44), Wilfork, Warren McKenzie, Mayo, Spikes (#1XX), Misi (#53) Butler, Bodden Sanders/Chung **I'm getting a 3rd rounder for Meriweather trade and selecting Spikes. Meriweather goes to Cleveland, they have multiple 3rds, and give us a 4th. ***using #119 on Kam Chancellor In reserve...DLewis, MWright, Pryor, Brace Wilhite, Wheatley, Chancellor, TBC, Ninkovich, etc. (Using my later round picks to build ILB, CB and WR depth) With pick #22 I am taking MB's boy GTate or DThomas, or trade 22 to say 25-28 and do the same, pick up a 3rd. With pick #47 I am taking Groknowski... OK....what are your thoughts boys?
    Posted by PatsLifer

I'm all for trading Merriweather, but you got to get a little more than a third. Although that is probably realistic. I would not hesitate to include him in a trade if we were planning on moving up. I believe he is overrated and not part of the solution, his value is as high right now as it probably ever will be.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Posted by PatsLifer

Guyton #35 for all(34 & 43) ILB's @ ProFootball Focus
    Mayo #39 (yes I do believe in that because I don't think Mayo played well last season but give him a mulligan because I think they rushed him back from his knee injury because they had to)

Meriweather #6

I have no problem with either of those players other than Meriweather goes in to blow people up too much instead of making the sure tackle even if less spectacular.

Guyton is fine and may eventually get beat out through natural attrition.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Patriots Host Brandon Graham http://bit.ly/98iRBn

Sections
Shortcuts