2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

Patriots Set to Host Brian Price  http://tinyurl.com/y645dyp

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Patriots #2 Pass Blocking team in Pro Football Focus analysis. Here's the summary...

No. 2 New England Patriots Just a hair off the top spot, New England owes a lot more than the Colts to their line for this position. Even when left tackle Matt Light went down with injury, along comes the remarkable Sebastian Vollmer, who plays even better than the veteran. Adding a little further weight to the view he was rather lucky to make the Pro Bowl this year, Tom Brady was ranked mid-table (No. 14) in personal responsibility for pressure, a lot lower than you would expect from a player of his calibre. At the end of the day however, the line did its job well enough that the coaches left in blockers less than most other teams (sixth-least) and were able to maximize Brady's targets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

ok guys.....I read and respect all of your opinions, but I'm gonna give you ALL something to think about. Since this draft is SO DEEP. that means it's gonna be a sellers market. I say we sell EVERYTHING into next yrs draft. We sell our first and 3 seconds for fists next yr and some 3rds and4ths this yr.So  we end up with 6, count them, 6 number ones next yr and a bunch of 3 4 5s this yr. we maybe find an edleman, bruschi, samuel , koppen type player because this draft is so deep. Next yr we RELOAD.

Any feedback......lol ALWAYS, REMEMBER ALWAYS, think outside the box, and sell, when everyone else is buying

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I'm with you that a change to a 43 could be in the making and that we are missing too many pieces to operate successfuly in the 34. Only problem I have with drafting graham if we are moving to the 43 is that now you have Tully at 6-1 on one side and graham at six feet on the other. No way that is going to happen in a 43.  The problem with this draft and many others is that true 43 defensive ends are hard to find. Alot of these college ends are 6'3" to 6'4" and weigh 240. It seems like less and less teams have those 6'5" 285 guys that can really pressure the edge and hold up in run support. Derrick Morgan looks like a true 43 end to me and even he is not as big as he was origanaly listed, his height went from 6'5" to 6'3" at the combine. It's funny how alot of these players shrink when they are measured.
    Posted by mthurl

We wouldn't even need Graham but he is certainly better suited than TBC to play with his hand in the dirt.  I wouldn't use the two as bookends. 

I agree with Mord and everyone else that says we aren't switching to a 43.  BB will find a way to rebuild the 34.  If Odrick is the answer, I'll gladly eat the humble pie.  Adding Odrick/Sapp or Odrick/Misi could be the ticket.  Or perhaps we will go after Kindle at 22 then trade back up to get Odrick.  We have more than enough fire power to do it. 

I'd still consider going all in for Suh.  Detroit has got to be feeling the pain of those high cost draft picks.  We could offer 22, 44, 48 and our 2011 first and a player or two (Thomas, Light, McGowan) for #2 and Detroit's 3rd, #66.  Think about it.  We basically have 1 pick in each round this year (Except the 5th) but we have two 6s and 5 7s and we'd have our complete set of 2011 picks, actually better because we'd have the Raider's instead of our own.  We dump a player or two that we don't want or need and end up with a draft like this.

#2 DT Ndamukong Suh
    #53 OLB Ricky Sapp
    #66 RB Ben Tate
    #119 TE Doren Dickerson

Defense fixed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

We're all dumber after reading that post. Terrible idea. Have 6 first round picks in a draft where there may be less than 20 first round grades? Not a good idea. No getting any return out of this years deep draft where the Pats positioned themselves to have 4 picks in the top 53? Bad idea. Not supplying Brady and BB talent RIGHT NOW? Bad idea. If anything, I would trade into this year if the draft is so deep. 

ok guys.....I read and respect all of your opinions, but I'm gonna give you ALL something to think about. Since this draft is SO DEEP. that means it's gonna be a sellers market. I say we sell EVERYTHING into next yrs draft. We sell our first and 3 seconds for fists next yr and some 3rds and4ths this yr.So  we end up with 6, count them, 6 number ones next yr and a bunch of 3 4 5s this yr. we maybe find an edleman, bruschi, samuel , koppen type player because this draft is so deep. Next yr we RELOAD.     Any feedback......lol ALWAYS, REMEMBER ALWAYS, think outside the box, and sell, when everyone else is buying
    Posted by makonikyman

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

If Ricky Sapp blows then you'll still have problems in the 3-4. A common comment regarding Sapp is that he didn't look good against the run in college, and I would wonder how he's going to fare against NFL tackles.

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : We wouldn't even need Graham but he is certainly better suited than TBC to play with his hand in the dirt.  I wouldn't use the two as bookends.  I agree with Mord and everyone else that says we aren't switching to a 43.  BB will find a way to rebuild the 34.  If Odrick is the answer, I'll gladly eat the humble pie.  Adding Odrick/Sapp or Odrick/Misi could be the ticket.  Or perhaps we will go after Kindle at 22 then trade back up to get Odrick.  We have more than enough fire power to do it.  I'd still consider going all in for Suh.  Detroit has got to be feeling the pain of those high cost draft picks.  We could offer 22, 44, 48 and our 2011 first and a player or two (Thomas, Light, McGowan) for #2 and Detroit's 3rd, #66.  Think about it.  We basically have 1 pick in each round this year (Except the 5th) but we have two 6s and 5 7s and we'd have our complete set of 2011 picks, actually better because we'd have the Raider's instead of our own.  We dump a player or two that we don't want or need and end up with a draft like this. #2 DT Ndamukong Suh #53 OLB Ricky Sapp #66 RB Ben Tate #119 TE Doren Dickerson Defense fixed.
    Posted by Faucetman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If Ricky Sapp blows then you'll still have problems in the 3-4. A common comment regarding Sapp is that he didn't look good against the run in college, and I would wonder how he's going to fare against NFL tackles. In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Wow if that is true I sure hope he has unbelievable pressure numbers because he doesn't have really any sack production either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

somewhat interesting full NFL draft audio cast talk here http://www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcast/2010/04/05/draftcast-1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Anyone have any thoughts on this UDFA type RB?

Conte Cuttino - Stonybrook

3067 Career rushing yards

Pro Day

4.05 SS
    6.33 3-cone
    4.44 40
    40 1/2 vertical
    10' 7" braod
    17 reps

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The answer could be staring us right in the face.  It's a slipping player.  Has all the pass rushing ability and size you want from a DE.  If based purely on measurables and solid production, he's a top 5 pick, maybe top 3.  His slipping is due to "character" issues, but I wouldn't call the issues, "character."  Once you dig deeper, I'd call them immaturity issues.  After all, the kid was only 20.  The issues are a concern but what were the core reasons behind the incident?  His coach, a close friend of BB, referred to the incident as "way out of character" and went to bat for him.  Could it be BB knows exactly what happened and why?

With VW, Mayo and now Pryor stepping up to become the vocal leaders of the defense and alumni Brandon Meriweather on the team, this young talented kid should have all the mentoring he needs.  By now you've all figured out who I'm talking about.  Others have mentioned him too but the more I consider it, the more I think this could be it.

Carlos Dunlap is our pick at #22 or perhaps at 44 or with a slight move up.  I bet BB picked Tim Tebow's brain about Dunlap and the other Gators like Spikes and Hernandez.  The interest wasn't in Tebow as much as it was a fact finding.

Think about it.  BB drafted Meriweather, who also had "character issues."  Urban Meyer going to bat for Dunlap will carry a ton of weight with BB.  BB is sitting back licking his chops laughing that he might get the next Julius Peppers at 22 or even lower and for a song and a prayer compared to what the Bears just shelled out for the 31 year old.

I'm suggesting Tebow was a smoke screen.  It's like reluctantly dating some skanky chick who has a smoking hot friend just to get closer to the friend.

Carlos Dunlap could be our pick at #22.  If he's matured and ready to grow up, it could be a pretty big steal that people will be talking about for a long time.  Feedback?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Earlier I had posted a comment in a conversation with Faucet about there must be a reason 14 teams will be running a 3-4 scheme this upcoming season.

I went digging and come up with a few things. You can check it here.

PFP: Will The Undersized OLB/DE Finally Grow on Bill Belichick? http://bit.ly/8YqS33

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Updated quotes

PFP: Quoting the Scout http://bit.ly/b7gu3M

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,
    I'm with you on Dunlap. I called him out a while back, but was bouncing between he and Griffen. 
    I think you could be right with this pick. Looking at him and watching him play, I think he can play 3-4 DE...I'm going to go back and watch him a bit more. I don't see him as a OLB. I still think we need to draft one or two...one early, one later. 
    I woudl feel good about Dunlap at 22, and Misi in the 2nd. I think the rotation of Mayo, McKenzie and Guyton inside would suffice...outside, Misi, Crable, TBC, etc., etc...Don't feel good about the OLB spot even if we drafted Misi, let alone with who we have right now. 

Any thoughts on the rest of the draft if you are picking Dunlap at 22?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The answer could be staring us right in the face.  It's a slipping player.  Has all the pass rushing ability and size you want from a DE.  If based purely on measurables and solid production, he's a top 5 pick, maybe top 3.  His slipping is due to "character" issues, but I wouldn't call the issues, "character."  Once you dig deeper, I'd call them immaturity issues.  After all, the kid was only 20.  The issues are a concern but what were the core reasons behind the incident?  His coach, a close friend of BB, referred to the incident as "way out of character" and went to bat for him.  Could it be BB knows exactly what happened and why? With VW, Mayo and now Pryor stepping up to become the vocal leaders of the defense and alumni Brandon Meriweather on the team, this young talented kid should have all the mentoring he needs.  By now you've all figured out who I'm talking about.  Others have mentioned him too but the more I consider it, the more I think this could be it. Carlos Dunlap is our pick at #22 or perhaps at 44 or with a slight move up.  I bet BB picked Tim Tebow's brain about Dunlap and the other Gators like Spikes and Hernandez.  The interest wasn't in Tebow as much as it was a fact finding. Think about it.  BB drafted Meriweather, who also had "character issues."  Urban Meyer going to bat for Dunlap will carry a ton of weight with BB.  BB is sitting back licking his chops laughing that he might get the next Julius Peppers at 22 or even lower and for a song and a prayer compared to what the Bears just shelled out for the 31 year old. I'm suggesting Tebow was a smoke screen.  It's like reluctantly dating some skanky chick who has a smoking hot friend just to get closer to the friend. Carlos Dunlap could be our pick at #22.  If he's matured and ready to grow up, it could be a pretty big steal that people will be talking about for a long time.  Feedback?
    Posted by Faucetman

Before he started to slide and I had watched tape on him I thought he would be taken by us at #22.

Where are you playing him? People say DE but I was always thinking OLB. He's taller and weighs the same as Willie McGinest and ran an unoffical 4.6 40 at his Pro Day. I don't see why he can't play OLB and the Patriots generally like their DE's closer to 300 LBs.

My only issue with him is he doesn't chase anyone or rarely does is more accurate.

He has the measureables and pretty good speed too. He has the sack production that can be argued is in line with either Hughes and Kindle. 

Again, I am assuming Graham is long gone by #22 and that's why I am not talking about him. 

However, when you look at tackles both solo and assist Dunlap falls way off the pace of both Hughes and Kindle. I have no problem taking him at #44 or earlier in the 2nd via trade.

Just depends if they think they can get the 2nd effort from him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Santonio Holmes traded to the Jets for 5th round pick in 2010!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Steelers going after Dez Bryant or Demaryius Thomas?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

It's just based on watching youtube clips. He seems like a great athlete but doesn't seem very stout against the run. I don't know what system they run or if there are other reasons, but he looks kind of like a finesse player to me. I only watched a few Clemson games so I'm sure several people on this board have better knowledge than I do. 

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Wow if that is true I sure hope he has unbelievable pressure numbers because he doesn't have really any sack production either.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

This one actually worries me. One thing you can say is that Jets aren't exactly putting a premium on character. I'd love for this to blow up in cryin Ryan's face.

Santonio Holmes traded to the  J ets for 5th round pick in 2010!!!!
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

For a 5th round pick!....the guy was the SB MVP just 2 years ago. 
    I don't get this. 

Perhaps we should be considering a CB with one of our 2nds?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Just to recap the Belichick era of drafting. By round and Position.

FIRST ROUND

Pos. No.

DL 3

TE 2

OL 1

LB 1

RB 1

S 1

SECOND ROUND

Pos. No.

CB 3

OL 3

WR 3

DL 2

S 2

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, I'm with you on Dunlap. I called him out a while back, but was bouncing between he and Griffen.  I think you could be right with this pick. Looking at him and watching him play, I think he can play 3-4 DE...I'm going to go back and watch him a bit more. I don't see him as a OLB. I still think we need to draft one or two...one early, one later.  I woudl feel good about Dunlap at 22, and Misi in the 2nd. I think the rotation of Mayo, McKenzie and Guyton inside would suffice...outside, Misi, Crable, TBC, etc., etc...Don't feel good about the OLB spot even if we drafted Misi, let alone with who we have right now.  Any thoughts on the rest of the draft if you are picking Dunlap at 22?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer,

I think Dunlap is less of a concern than say Kindle.  Dunlap has the frame to add 20 lbs or so.  I think he's listed at 6-6, 279.   He's young so adding some more weight should not be a problem.  He only did 22 reps at 225 so clearly he has room to bulk up.  I'm not saying he has to get as big as Seymour but as a rusher, he had more sacks 19.5 than games started, 14.  That some serious production in the SEC for such a young player.  I like his upside and I think until he's a little more ready we can still bring him in on passing downs to rush the passer like we did with Jarvis Green. 

I agree I don't see him playing OLB and like you, I like Misi at 53 for OLB.  I think Sapp there might be good too. 

As for the rest, we could have an all Florida top of the draft.  I don't think Haden hangs around but what if this happened.

#22 Pouncey
    #44 Dunlap
    #48 Tebow
    #53 Hernandez
    #119 Cooper

Could probably go deeper, but can you image?  Wouldn't be a half bad draft, huh?

Seriously though.  If we took Dunlap at #22 how would this sound for starters and we still have 5 more to take?

#22 DE Carlos Dunlap
    #44 OT Rodger Saffold
    #48 OLB Ricky Sapp
    #53 RB Ben Tate
    #119 ILB Brandon Spikes
    #190 WR Emamuel Sanders
    #205 TE Fendi Onobun

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : To early to speculate? The draft is less than two weeks away.

RESPONSE: The Santonio Holmes' trade surely will impact what the Jets and Steelers do in the draft. This is why I stated that "it's too early to speculate". 
    Posted by mthurl

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

With homes now playing for the Jets and Miami looking for a #1 WR I'm moving to this, if Wilson or McCorty are there at 22 they are the pick IMO.  Say what you want about Edwards but he, when he wants, is an ok WR. 

I think this might change a few things, they have one of the better running games in the league (although is LT and Green as good as last year's tandem).  One player doesn't make a difference on a team that has many needs but the Jets needed a WR to complete their offense and now they have him. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/4/12/1415163/pats-prognostication-defensive-ends?ref=CBS

Interesting article about the DL roster, written by a fan.  Most we all know what I liked was the look at 2011 draft with names and sizes for guys who will be available.  There some big DEs coming out next year, doesn't mean we ignore it this year but food for thought.  We need a starting RDE this year or a few guys to come into some sort of a rotation but also in the article it says we were in nickle and dime 50% of snaps last year.  I think right now those lines are set with TBC as a DE on one side and Crable/Woods/Murrell on the other as DE.  DTs a rotation of a few.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

In regards to Dunlap,--From a pure talent perspctive, I have no problems.  From a mental side, I have concerns.  I guess it would depend on BBs scouts interview, not that we get to see that.