2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

Anyone know anything about this player?

Brody Eldridge, TE - Oklahoma's other tight end, is considered the best blocker at this position. The Sooners thought enough of his blocking skills to start Eldridge at both guard and center last season when injuries battered their blocking front. He also started some games at fullback in 2008.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Big Ben won't face charges but I wonder with Holmes being moved if the Steelers are cleaning up and are planning to dump Ben too.  They are a team that wants to have a squeeky clean image and they can't afford to have the face of their franchise playing hanky panky with a young girl inside a night club bathroom whether he was inappropriate with her or not. They could be in the market for a QB more strongly than we thought.  Question is do they move up high enough to get Clausen or would they consider McCoy or Tebow?  Tebow would certainly help remove some of the Big Ben tarnish. Or, would they fly all the way to the top and get Bradford.  What does a fairly young (but apparently reckless) 2 time SB champion QB bring in a trade?  Could a swap of first round picks plus Big Ben work?  Would STL take a chance on this guy?  They don't strike me as one of the teams not worried about their image.  CLE perhaps?
    Posted by Faucetman

Isn't it cheaper and more of a sure thing to just get him a mail order bride?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet I believe we have the Jets at their home opening weekend Monday night game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

LSU RB Charles Scott visited with the Pat's:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Faucet, I've been here all along. MB has done a great job running the thread this season, and I have been overwhelmed with work. They are whipping me like a colombian donkey here at LSU. When the draft starts to heat up, I'll be here more.
    Posted by zbellino

ZB, thanks.  It's good to have your knowledge/insight on this thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Isn't it cheaper and more of a sure thing to just get him a mail order bride?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

No kidding.  Tiger probably has a black book with some numbers in it that he isn't using at the moment...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think I have changed my 22 pick as much as anyone based on the combine, pro day, discussion here as of late. 

One thing I'm starting to believe more is NOT selecting a TE in rounds 1 or 2. I think this draft is fairly deep at TE, and personally would like to see the Pats get one, but later, say in rounds 5, 6 or 7. ..(if they trade for a 5th round pick).

I would like to see the Pats bolster the OL and DL. I want a smash mouth run game, and a defense that cannot be run on. 

So, I'll bite on Willaims in round 1 if he falls. If he doesn't, I think I'm leaning back toward drafting Pouncey. My draft for rounds 1 & 2 would look like this...

22 - Williams if he is still here...if not, Pouncey 
    44UP? - Golden Tate (I would like to see the Pats pounce on day 2 of the draft and move up from 44 and grab Golden Tate. I think Golden Tate now slips out of round 1, and into early round 2. Package 44, 4th, 6th, 7th to go up to I think the 35th pick....I think we would need to grab GTate early in Round 2...33-36
    47 - Dunlap (I think he can be had here)
    53 - Veldheer (I like his combo of size, strength and quickness)...A bit of a reach here, but I see him similar to Volmer. IF Pouncey is not drafted in round 1. Otherwise I like Misi here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Sitting at the end of the set, ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi then broke things down by focusing on the running back spot. When Bruschi mentioned running back, the crowd cheered.

“I want to go to a position where a lot of people, and a lot of fans watching the Patriots, have grown impatient. That’s running back,” Bruschi said.

“I know that a lot of people have seen the developmental process of Laurence Maroney and it seems like it’s gone on for a long time. I know a lot of you have been frustrated with him. I know Laurence, he’s a hard worker, he does a lot of things right. But you have to go by what you see on the film and he’s struggled at times.

“A guy that I watched a lot of and am sort a fan of is Toby Gerhart, from Stanford. He was a Heisman finalist. If he’s still there, we’ll see. He’s a guy that runs hard.

“The way Bill [Belichick] likes to see running backs run is get yardage -– just get what you can get and then get out. So run straight up the field. This is what this kid is, you see him running through guys -– straight up the field, North-South, get your yards, stop dancing, and it’s second-and-2, second-and-1. That’s what everybody wants.

“Can Laurence Maroney still do that? I believe he can. But if they’ve grown a little bit impatient with it, and then this guy is still sitting there, it’s a possibility.”

a lot of talk from different guys on who the Pats could take, at the draft party last week.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4677059/pats-draft-party-video-second-rounders

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Hey guys, now that the Jets Sign Holmes and seem to be more powerful that us in a lot of positions, many people is talking about changing our draft mind set to counter attack the Jets new strengths, Do you believe we have to do that? I believe that try to counter attack the Jets by drafting Vs Holmes, Vs LT, Vs Cromartie type of players is the worst thing we could do for many reasons: 1.- the season has 16 games, no only two 2.- We can´t stop our team plan by 2 or 3 new players in the division, we have to maintain our team plan as it is, get younger, faster etc. 3.- Fans have to understand that these 2 franchises are in very very different moments & all the recent moves by the two teams are the reflection of 2 different realities & different approaches to the game. We won it all several times in the past decade and now its time to build a solid base of young players that can make a title run maybe in 2 or 3 years, the jets have a brand new stadium that needs to sell out each week, they need the hype of their city that´s why they are taking "Big names" veteran players to desperate try to end the patriots dominance in the division.
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

I think Rex got a taste of success and looked at what would have put them in the SB and went after those positions this offseason.  The problem is it might work while they are winning but what happens if they loss 2 3 or 4 games in a row talk about an exploting locker room. 

I think we need a CB in the draft but because I'm not confident going in with Bodden and Butler is not enough.  Butler is not good in run support and as I already posted every team the Pats face next season has a top running back.  I know we have holes in the offense but getting convinced 4 out of the first 5 picks need to go on D if not 4 all 5.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Where is C. Scott of LSU expected to go. He looks great on the highlight reel. Ive changed my mind a lot but now have to go with Dunlap and take him at 22.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Where is C. Scott of LSU expected to go. He looks great on the highlight reel. Ive changed my mind a lot but now have to go with Dunlap and take him at 22.
    Posted by max5344

He could go in the 5th but I think mid to late 6th is where he'll end up.  He's a big back 238 but doesn't have speed of some of the other big backs 4.68 40.  Very productive at LSU playing in the SEC, scored 37 TDs and that was while missing some of last year with a broken clavicle.  Another high character kid, hard worker on and off the field.
    A back that you want on short yardage though, he's a load once he starts moving he'll punish LBs and safeties could be a nice FB.  Although he didn't catch a ton of balls he has 3 receiving TDs and 260 receiving yards.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Anyone watch some tape of the middle linebacker they brought in from missisipi? Very impressive; fast, instinctive, looked good in coverage. I haven't really paid much attention to him, but he looks like a late 2nd to mid 3rd pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

the jets getting Santonio Holmes worries me, he's a real good reciever that will help Sanchez. Yeah the guys a bad dude and so is Cromartie, but they helped themselves alot without giving up much. If they do well in the draft they are going to be pretty good, unless Sanchez can't play like he did in the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Posted by max5344

Once you get past the 1st half of the 2nd round in most drafts players go anywhere in a 3 round range depending on team. It is impossible to nail it down and it doesn't matter the position either. You see players in the 2.5 - 5 range, 3-6, 4-7, and 5-UDFA ranges. Depends on the team.

If there is a run on a position then some player may go early in that 3 round range. If not maybe they go closer to the end of that 3 round range. You will see guys all over the place after the 1st half of the 2nd round.

One things that seems pretty consistent to me though is that the Patriots might not be even interested in as many players as others but if they like you they seem to like you about 1/2 - 1 round earlier than others.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I think I have changed my 22 pick as much as anyone based on the combine, pro day, discussion here as of late.  One thing I'm starting to believe more is NOT selecting a TE in rounds 1 or 2. I think this draft is fairly deep at TE, and personally would like to see the Pats get one, but later, say in rounds 5, 6 or 7. ..(if they trade for a 5th round pick). I would like to see the Pats bolster the OL and DL. I want a smash mouth run game, and a defense that cannot be run on.  So, I'll bite on Willaims in round 1 if he falls. If he doesn't, I think I'm leaning back toward drafting Pouncey. My draft for rounds 1 & 2 would look like this... 22 - Williams if he is still here...if not, Pouncey  44UP? - Golden Tate (I would like to see the Pats pounce on day 2 of the draft and move up from 44 and grab Golden Tate. I think Golden Tate now slips out of round 1, and into early round 2. Package 44, 4th, 6th, 7th to go up to I think the 35th pick....I think we would need to grab GTate early in Round 2...33-36 47 - Dunlap (I think he can be had here) 53 - Veldheer (I like his combo of size, strength and quickness)...A bit of a reach here, but I see him similar to Volmer. IF Pouncey is not drafted in round 1. Otherwise I like Misi here.  
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer in most other years I would agree without question based on how they use the TE in the past but the problem I have with the approach this year is they actually need to draft a player they feel can start in a two tight end set.

They currently ONLY have one TE that has a regular season NFL reception to his credit.

You generally have a greater chance of finding a starter the higher you draft the player.

Perhaps the Patriots eye another player on another roster where there is a log jam and expect someone to get released at some point before the season? Even if that's true they might opt to trade one of those late round extra picks to try and get him early so as not to likely lose out waiting for the player to clear the other vulchers going though waivers?

They could just get another so-so veteran that would buy them some additional time waiting for a TE, as you suggest, from the later rounds to develop part way through the season.

In the end though, the fact that they could actually use 2 TE's in the draft still makes me think they will take one earlier than later.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Sitting at the end of the set, ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi then broke things down by focusing on the running back spot. When Bruschi mentioned running back, the crowd cheered. “I want to go to a position where a lot of people, and a lot of fans watching the Patriots, have grown impatient. That’s running back,” Bruschi said. “I know that a lot of people have seen the developmental process of Laurence Maroney and it seems like it’s gone on for a long time. I know a lot of you have been frustrated with him. I know Laurence, he’s a hard worker, he does a lot of things right. But you have to go by what you see on the film and he’s struggled at times. “A guy that I watched a lot of and am sort a fan of is Toby Gerhart , from Stanford. He was a Heisman finalist. If he’s still there, we’ll see. He’s a guy that runs hard. “The way Bill [Belichick] likes to see running backs run is get yardage -– just get what you can get and then get out. So run straight up the field. This is what this kid is, you see him running through guys -– straight up the field, North-South, get your yards, stop dancing, and it’s second-and-2, second-and-1. That’s what everybody wants. “Can Laurence Maroney still do that? I believe he can. But if they’ve grown a little bit impatient with it, and then this guy is still sitting there, it’s a possibility.” a lot of talk from different guys on who the Pats could take, at the draft party last week. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4677059/pats-draft-party-video-second-rounders
    Posted by Pats7393

Wow someone in the Media actually mentioned Gerhart. Holy.... @#!%*

I felt we were the only ones who knew he existed.

Figures it would take another blue collar hard nosed, now ex, player to recognize.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Sitting at the end of the set, ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi then broke things down by focusing on the running back spot. When Bruschi mentioned running back, the crowd cheered. “I want to go to a position where a lot of people, and a lot of fans watching the Patriots, have grown impatient. That’s running back,” Bruschi said. “I know that a lot of people have seen the developmental process of Laurence Maroney and it seems like it’s gone on for a long time. I know a lot of you have been frustrated with him. I know Laurence, he’s a hard worker, he does a lot of things right. But you have to go by what you see on the film and he’s struggled at times. “A guy that I watched a lot of and am sort a fan of is Toby Gerhart , from Stanford. He was a Heisman finalist. If he’s still there, we’ll see. He’s a guy that runs hard. “The way Bill [Belichick] likes to see running backs run is get yardage -– just get what you can get and then get out. So run straight up the field. This is what this kid is, you see him running through guys -– straight up the field, North-South, get your yards, stop dancing, and it’s second-and-2, second-and-1. That’s what everybody wants. “Can Laurence Maroney still do that? I believe he can. But if they’ve grown a little bit impatient with it, and then this guy is still sitting there, it’s a possibility.” a lot of talk from different guys on who the Pats could take, at the draft party last week. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4677059/pats-draft-party-video-second-rounders
    Posted by Pats7393

Good comments by Bruschi.  He can now say what he was probably feeling as a player.  Since Dillion retired, our offense hasn't been the same.  We set a bunch of records in 2007 through the air, went undefeated and all that but even then we were missing a balanced attack.  I too hope we get Gerhart.  But, I'd be happy with Hardesty or Tate too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I think Rex got a taste of success and looked at what would have put them in the SB and went after those positions this offseason.  The problem is it might work while they are winning but what happens if they loss 2 3 or 4 games in a row talk about an exploting locker room.  I think we need a CB in the draft but because I'm not confident going in with Bodden and Butler is not enough.  Butler is not good in run support and as I already posted every team the Pats face next season has a top running back.  I know we have holes in the offense but getting convinced 4 out of the first 5 picks need to go on D if not 4 all 5.
    Posted by Pats7393

Pats, now you lost me.  It all starts in the trenches.  We traded Seymour for a pick we have to wait two years to get.  That really downgraded our once solid DL.  We trade Vrabel (for nothing) and Bruschi retired. 

On defense we should first fix the front 7.  Bodden is solid, the rest of the kids are young.  They need time to develop.  More importantly, they need less time to have to cover.  We need a dominant run stopping defense that can also get after the passer.  That's why I say, Williams and Dunlap.  If we get those two guys, the rest can go on offense where the old guys are.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think I have changed my 22 pick as much as anyone based on the combine, pro day, discussion here as of late.  One thing I'm starting to believe more is NOT selecting a TE in rounds 1 or 2. I think this draft is fairly deep at TE, and personally would like to see the Pats get one, but later, say in rounds 5, 6 or 7. ..(if they trade for a 5th round pick). I would like to see the Pats bolster the OL and DL. I want a smash mouth run game, and a defense that cannot be run on.  So, I'll bite on Willaims in round 1 if he falls. If he doesn't, I think I'm leaning back toward drafting Pouncey. My draft for rounds 1 & 2 would look like this... 22 - Williams if he is still here...if not, Pouncey  44UP? - Golden Tate (I would like to see the Pats pounce on day 2 of the draft and move up from 44 and grab Golden Tate. I think Golden Tate now slips out of round 1, and into early round 2. Package 44, 4th, 6th, 7th to go up to I think the 35th pick....I think we would need to grab GTate early in Round 2...33-36 47 - Dunlap (I think he can be had here) 53 - Veldheer (I like his combo of size, strength and quickness)...A bit of a reach here, but I see him similar to Volmer. IF Pouncey is not drafted in round 1. Otherwise I like Misi here.  
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer, you won't get a lot of argument here.  Everything starts up front on offense and defense.  We can't afford to go all in on Suh.  Even though I occasionally flirt with the idea, I know this isn't the smart move.  However, if we could get Williams we'd have the making of an impenetrable run stopping defense. 

My plan then would be to either move up slightly or hope Dunlap falls to us at 44.  Take the worries out of his character for now.  He hopefully was an immature 20 year old kid that had too much to drink and messed up.  How many of us have done that at his age?  Imagine a 43 (YES A 43) line of Dunlap, Williams, Wilfork and Warren. I just closed my eyes and saw a line that was hitting the RB in the backfield, that was making the stop on 3rd and 1, short and goal and was moving the pile backwards.  I then saw Dunlap flying by left tackle slamming the QB to the turf.

These two picks fix this defense.  In a 43 or nickel we have the athletic LBs you want.  I'm not saying we have to switch completely away from 34 as Dunlap can fake being at OLB then either come or move up to the line at the snap.  When we stay in 34, I'd feel better about him occasionally dropping back in coverage than I would Graham.

Assuming no trades, we could still do this if stars align.

#22 DT Dan Williams
    #44 DE Carlos Dunlap
    #48 RB Toby Gerhart
    #53 OT Jared Veldheer
    #119 WR Emanuel Sanders

Crump can hold the fort as starting TE for a year and we can add a couple of late round picks. 

I would be pretty stoked about this draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet that is one of the many combos I would be happy with. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Patriots Visited by Jamar Chaney http://tinyurl.com/y2r2yug

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by max5344

Hey Max, welcome aboard.  The more I think about Dunlap, the more I like it.  His drunken night might have landed a top 5 pick in our laps. 

I like Charles Scott a lot.  I have him as a 6-7th round prospect.  He's not blessed with blazing speed but for his size, he's a poor man's Gerhart.  He broke his collar bone and failed his physical for the Senior Bowl which hurt his stock.  Definitely worth a late round pick especially if we don't go RB earlier on.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

Like your new mock. I am crossing my fingers Williams makes it to us at 22, but I still think I would put a low probablity on it as there are so many 3-4 teams drafting ahead of us, and a couple need a NT...Miami & Denver to be precise. 

But for some reason Williams made it down, I think we have a very good shot at Dunlap with either of our picks in the 40's and Gerhart as well. I definitely think Veldheer will be there at 53. So, it all could go down the way you have laid out if Williams makes it to us at 22. 

That still leaves a gap at WR unless as you suggest using 119 on Sanders...Regardless of what WR is taken next year, I think there will be an expectation he has to contribute. We only have 3 real WR's on the team today, and Tate has never really played all that much and is injury prone.

. In all honesty, I would be happier if the Pats picked up a FA after teams make their cuts, or trade for a WR come draft day. I would rather use 119 and package a couple of late rounders to move up and snag Spikes. Imagine the defensive lineup above now with Spikes. 

I don't think we need anyone spectacular, just a decent possession receiver that can take some pressure off Moss and open it up a bit. Someone like a Gaffney (in that mold).....With Laverneus Coles still available, I'm wondering why the Pats have not brought him in? I think he woudl be a decent option at the #3 spot, and a nice compliment to Moss, Edelman and Tate. Any thoughts on Coles?

I wonder what WR's are or will be on the market come draft day? I think a veteran would be our best option to contribute, and pick up a guy later to develop for next year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

First we must fill the hole left by loss of Seymor and Green at DE, and this must be first priority. I feel the requiremenrs of the Pats system are best filled by Jared Odrick, his size and abilities, with no downside make him the safest choice with the fewest questions among the quality DE's within our first pick at 22.

Second our next bigest hole is at TE and we are in position at the 44th pick to get the best combonation, blocking and receiving TE on the board. Not only can he pass block but also run block. This will help improve both our running and passing game, along with an additional receiving threat. This player is Rob Gronkowski. This must be second priority, plus he is the best quality player on the board at the area of pick 44.

Third, The weakness at OLB must be addressed to improve the much needed pass rush which will take the pressure off the secondary making the entire defence more unified. This is a tough decision that many would like to have addressed with pick 1 or 2, but  not one of the conversion DE/OLB is a shure thing with the physical requirements nessisary and lack of negitives on there history. There fore I see this not being filled till pick 47 with the best OLB on the board, having the most proven history at the possition, giving the least chance of busting, This player is Koa Misi. Although  he is 1 inch short of prototype and half second slower than ideal his scouting report has no negitives in the run or passing game, making him a very safe pick for the possition, and ready to contribute imediately.

The last pick in round 2 must address the hole in the receiving game. This is a no brainer once you have read the scouting report and our possition at no. 53. Damian Williams is the most pollished nfl ready route running receiver in the draft with virtualy no neggitives.

All 1st and 2nd round picks have good potential to start immediately.

At the 4th round we have an opertunity to improve our OL With the chance to pick the best zone blocking guard in the draft, who not only started at left and right guard but also at left and right tackle. This being Mike Johnson, who not only excels at both pass and run blocking, but can pull and trap. He would give great lattitude to the team with future uncertinty on the OL and has the skills to contribute imediately.

In the 6th rd. the quality in this deap draft starts to drop off a bit but there could be possible back up quality picks to our ageing commity of running backs. I find 2 possibilities to pick from at pick 190, one being Joique Bell and the other being Charles Scott, who by the way was  call by the pats for an in house visit.
    May be developmental players.

With the 2nd pick in Round 6 I see us picking Zoltan Mesko P, Him being ranked 1st would be best value at pick no.205 also considering we currently have no signed punter, and the possition was in need of an upgrade.

In the 7th round we can realisticly hope to gain some developmental personel, and there are a few stand outs.
     Pick 229 Seyi Ajirotutu WR, Tall good hands marginal speed but health issues, possibly stashed on IR For further eveluation or practice squad.
    Pick 231 Vince Oghobaase DE Good size and potential, but very limited experience. Good project player for practice squad.  May be a gem in the rough.
    Pick 247 Dexter Davis OLB Good developmental player with great scouting report,  but marginal size, played for small school, may pan out as a back up or special teams, headed for practice squad.
    Pick 248 Micah Johnson ILB A player with good potential headed to practice squad.
    Pick 250 Jeron Mastrud TE player with tremendos upside, could be a future replacement for Alge Crumpler if he could recover from his injury problems. headed for IR.

all in all there is possibilities to fill most holes through the draft, with some possible influential returns from IR, and load up on some possible developmental players for the up coming year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I usually post Rick Gosselin's stuff every year.  He's one of the best.  Here's his first mock.  Note: no Dunlap in the 1st round.  Some other interesting things to see out of this as well.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/041110dnspogosselinmock.441bfe6.html?nl