2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

TrustBill and you other guys out there.  Here's a link to an article by Rick Gosselin ranking the DL players.  Dunlap is down the list.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/stories/041310dnsponfldraft.3f50181.html?nl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

There's been some recent talk about Marcus Easley, so I wanted to do more research on him.

I'm amazed at how bad his 20 yard SS time was.  His time of 4.60 was slower than Suh (4.44), McCoy (4.48), Odrick (4.59), Veldheer (4.51), Shaun Lauvao (4.51) and was tied with Marshall Newhouse (4.60) and was among the slowest overall times for most any skill position player tested.  Heck, even Al Woods at 6-4 309 had a 4.67.

This to me is a big red flag as it would indicate that he's more of a straight line athlete where as BB historically has taken WR's with average to better than average or elite lateral agility and explosion.

Deion Branch- 3.74
    Chad Jackson- 4.03
    Bethel Johnson- couldn't locate
    Brandon Tate- 4.12
    Julian Edelman- 3.92
    PK Sam- couldn't locate

How can a kid that ran a sub 4.4 in the 40, and a 6.94 in the 3C (which is pretty good) be so slow laterally?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Which do you think best represents the Patriots needs in order? or post your alt. (DE, TE, OLB, WR, RB, P, DB/ILB) (OLB, TE, WR, DE, RB, P, ILB/DB) (TE, OLB, DE, WR, RB, P, DB/ILB)
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

OLB, DE, TE, WR, RB, ILB/DB & Punter

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

We have six real late picks.  Looking for some guys here that may fit.

205 - Myron Rolle, SS.  Yep, he might be there.  Evidently his time off has cost him but give a year or two to get back in the swing of things.
    229 - Ramone Harewood, OT.  This guy is a project but with soccer and vollyball   in his background make him an intriguing prospect. 
    231 - David Gettis, WR.  Size and speed.  Track background.  Co-Offensive player of the year for Baylor.
    247 - Mickey Shuler, TE.  Another project.  Light weightwise and will need to add some pounds.  I would imagine that he had to do some blocking while playing for Penn St.
    248 - Brent Bowden, P.  Let's get a punter!
    250 - Jeff Byers, C.  Comes from a great program, USC.  Has the body to add more weight.  Very strong.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

There's been some recent talk about Marcus Easley, so I wanted to do more research on him. I'm amazed at how bad his 20 yard SS time was.  His time of 4.60 was slower than Suh (4.44), McCoy (4.48), Odrick (4.59), Veldheer (4.51), Shaun Lauvao (4.51) and was tied with Marshall Newhouse (4.60) and was among the slowest overall times for most any skill position player tested.  Heck, even Al Woods at 6-4 309 had a 4.67. This to me is a big red flag as it would indicate that he's more of a straight line athlete where as BB historically has taken WR's with average to better than average or elite lateral agility and explosion. Deion Branch- 3.74 Chad Jackson- 4.03 Bethel Johnson- couldn't locate Brandon Tate- 4.12 Julian Edelman- 3.92 PK Sam- couldn't locate How can a kid that ran a sub 4.4 in the 40, and a 6.94 in the 3C (which is pretty good) be so slow laterally?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

conditioning? Attitude/effort?

I believe that was one of the last drills they did and when I watched it it looked like there were a number of guys that were gassed and many who did not finish strong during the drill and pulled up. He might have been one of those.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Dunlap is a 2nd round talent, and think will go in round 2. I just don't see us drafting him at 22, when we can have him with one of our 40's. 

Interesting note on the Gosselin article, is that he has Misi ranked above Dunlap. If the intent is to use Dunlap as an OLB, why not Misi instead? (assuming you buy into Gosselin's ranking)...Misi has played both OLB and DE at Utah, you would assume he would have a shorter learning curve. Both could play DE in a 4-3 if need be. I don't see Dunlap playing DE in a 3-4. 

The 2 to me look similar in the way we could use them, with the one exception...I think Misi could also play ILB given his size. 

Any thoughts on Dunlap vs. Misi?...who do you take in round 2 and why?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

We have six real late picks.  Looking for some guys here that may fit. 205 - Myron Rolle, SS.  Yep, he might be there.  Evidently his time off has cost him but give a year or two to get back in the swing of things. 229 - Ramone Harewood, OT.  This guy is a project but with soccer and vollyball   in his background make him an intriguing prospect.  231 - David Gettis, WR.  Size and speed.  Track background.  Co-Offensive player of the year for Baylor. 247 - Mickey Shuler, TE.  Another project.  Light weightwise and will need to add some pounds.  I would imagine that he had to do some blocking while playing for Penn St. 248 - Brent Bowden, P.  Let's get a punter! 250 - Jeff Byers, C.  Comes from a great program, USC.  Has the body to add more weight.  Very strong.
    Posted by garytx

gt,
    I love Rolle as an option and IMO, BB has to be salivating at the chance to coach a kid with his intelligence, athleticism and upside.  I think he's firmly on their radar and will have him in my final mock.

While I'd love to get him in rd 6, I think he'll be off the board in rd 4 or 5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : conditioning? Attitude/effort? I believe that was one of the last drills they did and when I watched it it looked like there were a number of guys that were gassed and many who did not finish strong during the drill and pulled up. He might have been one of those.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

What ever the reason, I don't see him as an option in NE based on that time and/or what caused it, assuming he wasn't injured (I haven't seen anything that stated he was injured as he appeared to have participated in the entire workout).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : gt, I love Rolle as an option and IMO, BB has to be salivating at the chance to coach a kid with his intelligence, athleticism and upside.  I think he's firmly on their radar and will have him in my final mock. While I'd love to get him in rd 6, I think he'll be off the board in rd 4 or 5.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I believe that as well.  I can't imagine a guy with his potential sliding that far.  I was using the CBS/DraftScout and was surprised to see his name there.  While I believe he'll be gone I threw it out there to see what kinda talk it would generate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I am factoring the need with the likely drafting position in my mind...basically just because the need may be "larger" doesn't mean we have to draft higher.  TE for example...the way the pats use them we don't have to use a high pick on one.

LB(OLB / ILB)
    DT/DE
    OL
    WR/TE(either works...TE needs hands if here)
    TE/WR/RB(WR/RB if TE above)
    LB/DE
    P

I think we need 2 LB's.  One pure rusher...one more cover guy or ILB...depending on what they do with Adalius.  OL upgrades is the key to TB health...and increased production in the running game.

DT/DE...key to stopping the run.  Defense needs the LB to be free to rush and tackle, not get blocked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I have said I have no idea about who the heck the Patriots will ever draft as I am always wrong but I know many of you have claimed they should draft an Offensive lineman high.

They very well might.

It is interesting at the least, although means nothing, that that position and safety might be the two LEAST publicized positions of player interest/visits so far during this process by the Patriots.

I think safety had the least number of players reported as being visited with and then Offensive linemen.

Again that is solely based on what I have been able to track in the press and is a tiny sample.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Dunlap is a 2nd round talent, and think will go in round 2. I just don't see us drafting him at 22, when we can have him with one of our 40's.  Interesting note on the Gosselin article, is that he has Misi ranked above Dunlap. If the intent is to use Dunlap as an OLB, why not Misi instead? (assuming you buy into Gosselin's ranking)...Misi has played both OLB and DE at Utah, you would assume he would have a shorter learning curve. Both could play DE in a 4-3 if need be. I don't see Dunlap playing DE in a 3-4.  The 2 to me look similar in the way we could use them, with the one exception...I think Misi could also play ILB given his size.  Any thoughts on Dunlap vs. Misi?...who do you take in round 2 and why?  
    Posted by PatsLifer

Based on production, Dunlap is a top half of the first round talent.  Based on concerns I agree he will likely go in the 2nd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I have said I have no idea about who the heck the Patriots will ever draft as I am always wrong but I know many of you have claimed they should draft an Offensive lineman high. They very well might. It is interesting at the least, although means nothing, that that position and safety might be the two LEAST publicized positions of player interest/visits so far during this process by the Patriots. I think safety had the least number of players reported as being visited with and then Offensive linemen. Again that is solely based on what I have been able to track in the press and is a tiny sample.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Interesting piece in the Globe today on Mankins, story below in blue.  I can't see him holding out given the personal consequences.  But I'm a little surprised the team hasn't locked him up given his talent, durability and value to the team.  I don't know if the Pats will draft OL help this year.  The argument could be made for a OT and an OG/C type to be added given the age of Neal and Light.

The Pats have shown a great deal of interest behind the scenes in Kam Chancellor.  If I had to guess two players that we're going to draft based on the tea leaves I have it will be Chancellor and McCluster.  The only thing that would upset that is if they are taken ahead of where the Pats have them slotted or another player more highly coveted that they don't expect to be there slips to them.

Thursday is the deadline for RFAs to sign offer sheets with other teams, but it's not the only big one coming down the pike. If RFAs aren't signed on June 15, teams can lower their tender offers to 110 percent of the player's 2009 salary and retain exclusive negotiating rights. So I was interested to see how many of these minicamps would be scheduled for after the deadline, making it so the veterans would a) be compelled to sign their offer sheets before the minicamp and b) therefore be forced to show up or risk being fined.

And here it is: Patriots minicamp -- June 15-17.

Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe it isn't.

The bottom line is that if Mankins doesn't sign his $3.268 million tender by June 15, the Patriots can slice his offer to $1.54 million. That's a $1.728 million difference.

If he does sign, he's under contract, and has to report or risk being fined. So it looks like we might have our first crossroads in Mankins's negotiations coming up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Ohio State C Jim Cordle has private work out with Pat's:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Patriots-had-private-workout-with-Jim-Cordle.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

What are your thoughts on two wideouts?

1. Andre Roberts wide out (Citadel)

2. Carlton Mitchell wide out (USF)

anyone seeing any interest or possibly in a pats uni?? I think they both have potential. Roberts tore it up at the citadel and mitchell had a run first qb and no o-line, and still put up numbers plus has blazing speed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What are your thoughts on two wideouts? 1. Andre Roberts wide out (Citadel) 2. Carlton Mitchell wide out (USF) anyone seeing any interest or possibly in a pats uni?? I think they both have potential. Roberts tore it up at the citadel and mitchell had a run first qb and no o-line, and still put up numbers plus has blazing speed
    Posted by ccusson1122

Andre Roberts, I'm probably his biggest fan here.  I have him (probably alone here) as a 2nd round option but most have him in the 3rd or 4th.  Guy is a great route runner and a very high character kid.  Would love to have him on the team.

Mitchell just looked after mb's post on Easly ran a 4.55 shuffle which is not good either.  I don't know as now I am with mb these guys are probably not an option because of their lateral movement or lack there off.

Another tall receiver I like is David Gettis, because of what mb brought to our attention about Easly I might have to change my mock.  Need guys who can move laterally not just straight line speed. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Based on production, Dunlap is a top half of the first round talent.  Based on concerns I agree he will likely go in the 2nd.
    Posted by Faucetman

I think not entirely true. I think much is based on "potential" there are plenty of players expected to go later than him with higher production, some even in sacks and MANY in tackles, both solo AND asst.

The potential and his age are what people are afraid to let slip by because he really could grow to be something special when life and playing experience catches up to his god given gifts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Based on production, Dunlap is a top half of the first round talent.  Based on concerns I agree he will likely go in the 2nd.
    Posted by Faucetman

I agreed.  Dunlap is ranked lower than Misi because of the character issues.  His size, speed, and strength are better than Misi.  Dunalpa played in SEC and had 9 sacks last year whereas Misi played in Moutain West and had 5 sacks last year.  Dunlap won defensive MVP in the 09 national championship game against Oklahoma.  That Oklahoma OL was one of the best and had several NFL OL including Trent Williams, Duke Robinson, and Phil Loadholt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

after looking at mb's post about Easly's shuffle and looking at Dunlap's projection on a few sites here's my updated mock, what you all think?

#22 Everson Griffen OLB 6'4" 272
    high motor guy who brings a pass rush and holds up against the run.  Can't pass him up at 22, been looking at Dunlap's projection and most sites have him sliding into the second. 
    #44 Carlos Dunlap OLB/DE 6'6" 277 rare speed size and strength he has all the tools physically to be a really good OLB does he mentally?
    #47 Toby Gerhart RB 6'0" 230 any player TB54 is on board with and wishes the Pats would get I will agree specially when it is a Gerhart
    #53 Al Woods DE/DT 6'4" 309 BB tries to replace RS with Woods, powerful DT who can play DE.  Will help the front 7 stop the run and improve a pass rush by collapsing the pocket.
    #119 Andre Roberts WR 5'11" 195 one of the top route runners in the draft if not the best one, can play in the slot or lineup outside.  Has the speed to run a go or agility for YAC across the middle.  I think he'll be long gone by the 4th, hope the Pats trade into the early part of the 3rd and pick him then
    #190 A.J. Edds OLB 6'4" 246 has nickel LB written all over him, great cover LB.  Was his primary job at Iowa but can blitz if he's asked to.  He's a tough blue collar kid who will add depth at LB and probably be willing to do anything he's asked.
    #205 (comp) Nolan Carroll CB 6'0" 211 I know some of you consider a CB or S picked this late as a waste of pick, before you say that about Carroll do you homework on him then tell me if this is not a great value pick.
    #229 David Gettis WR 6'3" 217 another big receiver with very good hands, if it is in the area he'll catch it.  Another WR to compete for the #2 spot this season and #1 later.
    #231 Brandon Deaderick DE/DT 6'4" 314 he is an Alabama player who didn't get much of the credit of the Ds play in 2009 but was as important as Cody.  Great run stuffer and does have the ability to create plays in the back field.  Will add depth at either end spot and could be starter.
    #248 Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 I like this kid since he conducted what you would call pro day private workout for the Patriots, they were the only team to show up and were very impressed.
    #250 Chris Marinelli OT 6'7" 301 adds depth at OT and could develop into a starting RT, smart player with great technic.
    #251 Alfonso Smith RB 6'1" 211 fast tough runner, good returner option, has good hands.  I would dump Morris, FT.  My back field would look like this, Toby#1 KF 3rd down, LM backup, AS backup BJGE backup/FB. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : What ever the reason, I don't see him as an option in NE based on that time and/or what caused it, assuming he wasn't injured (I haven't seen anything that stated he was injured as he appeared to have participated in the entire workout).
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Do you mean in the 4th or at all?

I only ask because you question that one time on Easley but in the post prior you love the idea of Rolle even though he's been a timing like tortoise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Andre Roberts, I'm probably his biggest fan here.  I have him (probably alone here) as a 2nd round option but most have him in the 3rd or 4th.  Guy is a great route runner and a very high character kid.  Would love to have him on the team. Mitchell just looked after mb's post on Easly ran a 4.55 shuffle which is not good either.  I don't know as now I am with mb these guys are probably not an option because of their lateral movement or lack there off. Another tall receiver I like is David Gettis, because of what mb brought to our attention about Easly I might have to change my mock.  Need guys who can move laterally not just straight line speed. 
    Posted by Pats7393

That would go hand and hand with their production. I think those two guys specifically are talked about because they have a very good avg yard per catch. I do not believe either of them has shown a consistency to have a high number of receptions. The later of which is generally, but not always, associated more with quick guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I think not entirely true. I think much is based on "potential" there are plenty of players expected to go later than him with higher production, some even in sacks and MANY in tackles, both solo AND asst. The potential and his age are what people are afraid to let slip by because he really could grow to be something special when life and playing experience catches up to his god given gifts.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Not many DEs in the SEC have registered more sacks than games started.  I agree, as a junior coming out his ceiling is very high and that's where the value lies.  I have him third among DEs ahead of Griffen behind Morgan and JPP.  I'd be thrilled if we took him at 44.

If we somehow got Williams or even Odrick at 22 and Dunlap at 44, for me, the defense is fixed although I'm a big fan of Chancellor at 119.  If we clean house and McGowan goes, depth at S is needed especially considering Springs was brought in also to play a little S and he appears ready for pasture.

This is supposed to be a defensive heavy draft but 46 of the top 100 on my board are offensive players, yes more on defense but not a huge difference.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

No way I take Dunlap with 22. I would be willing to take a risk on him with either 47 or 53. 

Would the Pats have him put on weight and play DE or just have him be a large OLB?

I am not worried about the character, that is easily reversed, but the work ethic issues kinda scare me.

He is a hit or miss player that will either be great or be out of the league in 5 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

marinelli,gettis and deaderick would be ouststanding selections in the sixthe or seventh rounds.one pick in either the sixth or seventh round would seem to have to be punter and there are three of four who have a very good chance of being an effective punter in the nfl(i like mesko,but i'd like any of the top group).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

after looking at mb's post about Easly's shuffle and looking at Dunlap's projection on a few sites here's my updated mock, what you all think? #22 Everson Griffen OLB 6'4" 272 high motor guy who brings a pass rush and holds up against the run.  Can't pass him up at 22, been looking at Dunlap's projection and most sites have him sliding into the second.  #44 Carlos Dunlap OLB/DE 6'6" 277 rare speed size and strength he has all the tools physically to be a really good OLB does he mentally? #47 Toby Gerhart RB 6'0" 230 any player TB54 is on board with and wishes the Pats would get I will agree specially when it is a Gerhart #53 Al Woods DE/DT 6'4" 309 BB tries to replace RS with Woods, powerful DT who can play DE.  Will help the front 7 stop the run and improve a pass rush by collapsing the pocket. #119 Andre Roberts WR 5'11" 195 one of the top route runners in the draft if not the best one, can play in the slot or lineup outside.  Has the speed to run a go or agility for YAC across the middle.  I think he'll be long gone by the 4th, hope the Pats trade into the early part of the 3rd and pick him then #190 A.J. Edds OLB 6'4" 246 has nickel LB written all over him, great cover LB.  Was his primary job at Iowa but can blitz if he's asked to.  He's a tough blue collar kid who will add depth at LB and probably be willing to do anything he's asked. #205 (comp) Nolan Carroll CB 6'0" 211 I know some of you consider a CB or S picked this late as a waste of pick, before you say that about Carroll do you homework on him then tell me if this is not a great value pick. #229 David Gettis WR 6'3" 217 another big receiver with very good hands, if it is in the area he'll catch it.  Another WR to compete for the #2 spot this season and #1 later. #231 Brandon Deaderick DE/DT 6'4" 314 he is an Alabama player who didn't get much of the credit of the Ds play in 2009 but was as important as Cody.  Great run stuffer and does have the ability to create plays in the back field.  Will add depth at either end spot and could be starter. #248 Scott Sicko TE 6'4" 251 I like this kid since he conducted what you would call pro day private workout for the Patriots, they were the only team to show up and were very impressed. #250 Chris Marinelli OT 6'7" 301 adds depth at OT and could develop into a starting RT, smart player with great technic. #251 Alfonso Smith RB 6'1" 211 fast tough runner, good returner option, has good hands.  I would dump Morris, FT.  My back field would look like this, Toby#1 KF 3rd down, LM backup, AS backup BJGE backup/FB. 
    Posted by Pats7393
    I like a lot of the players you have listed as potential picks,but I'd like to see who is available come draft day and I'd like to see where they actually draft as I have a sneaky suspicion that the patriots will be moving all over the board on draft day! Also of the unsung TE's available I'd love to see Jameson Konz fall into their laps!!

Sections
Shortcuts