2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

what the matter with donovan warren? does anyone have an explanations why he isnt drafted ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Time to start the 2011 Mock Rounds 1-7 thread?  (LOL)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Jeez that's really an impressive call on Deaderick, by the scouts all the way back on Mar. 22nd, as a perfect fit in the late rounds for the Pats.

I'm impressed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    How is Donavan Warren still left. The guy was a first round prospect earlier this year.  
    Posted by Supernova13

Jets signed him as a FA

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Got the DE!  Good pick, 3 4 DE in Alabama
    Posted by Pats7393

Alphonso smith to Cardinals

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Wow Vikings got Gerhart AND Blount

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Freddie Barnes drafted?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Freddie Barnes to the Bears

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Time to let this thread die.

Oh by the way you were all Wrong

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

All in all I thought it was a pretty good draft. They moved back a little to much for my liking leaving some very good players to be picked by other teams, but also got some good picks in return for doing it.

I don't think the pass rush situation is solved by any means, but it's not like they were holding the second pick in the draft or something. Honestly this years crop of outside pressure types were all missing something, weather it be size or experience, work ethic, you name it, there wasn't a can't miss guy out there. It scares me that we needed to sign Gerrard Warren, we are going to have problems at that DE  spot.

Love the additions to the offense. Tom has some new toys to play with, wish there was a little more talent at the running back spot, but sure we can get by with what we got. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : So what's your point?  giving what historically the Patriots have done, glad you like Starks he is a good back and had amazing production at Buffalo.  If you wanted me to add him to my possible RBs in the 6th he won't be there.  Don't know if you are making a point for or against Spiller or Best, anyways like starks or not look at what the Patriots have done over the last 10 years when drafting RBs but again I added options in the 6th and on starks will be gone before the 6th so whay add him? Use LM how they use faulk?  they had to use faulk how they wanted to use LM because he sucked last year.  They need to take touches away from LM instead of trying to get him more involved.

He went #193 in the 6th.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Reports saying Jason Campbell traded to the Raiders. Not good for our draft next year. 
    Posted by Supernova13

Washington did pick 4th overall this year, so it's not like he's the missing link, ha.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

My list is shrinking. Tony Pike Dorin Dickerson LaGarrett Blount Myron Rolle Donovan Warren Brandon Deaderick Scott Long Selvish Capers Ciron Black Tony Washington Zac Robinson Sean Canfield Scott Sicko
    Posted by Faucetman

Apparently, Washington had sex w his sister, is a registed sex offender. Ouch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Like the guy playing the violin in Titanic said to the other musicians before the boat sank. "Gentleman it's been a pleasure" 

Good draft stuff gents, hope they can pressure a little this year. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

MB...Thanks again for starting this board and for all the great contributions. You hit it on the picks if you look at your original mock that kicked this thing off...you got both Spikes and Cunningham. I think that is pretty amazing considering Cunningham was on no one's radar with some odd 4800 posts or so. Great job man!

i for one am very pleased with the Pats draft. They added playmakers on both sides of the ball, are a tougher team both mentally and physically, and added good depth on OL. Overall, I think i would score this draft a A-/B+.

Of course, lots of off season still to go, and I think the Pats are not done.

Thanks again to all. This was my first year on this board and will return next.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

In the end, there did not appear to many great options for 34 OLBs who meet the size, length and speed requirements, can set the edge against the run, rush and cover.  Kindle has a bad knee; Ricky Sapp is not strong enough and has also medical issues; Dunlap and Griffen are physically gifted but improperly motivated.  Misi and Daniel play with a high motor, will be solid but may not dominate.  Jermaine Cunnigham may be the best option that is overshadowed by Dunlap.  The fact that BB drafted DE/OLB conversion guy as high as second round is a cause of celebration.  Just watched some videos on Cunningham.  Felt a little better about picking him over Dunlap.  He is the key to the draft, IMO.  If he works out as a edge pass-rusher, we pretty much have every hole covered.

The most enjoyable part of the draft is to watch BB repeatedly trade down a little to accumulate more values and still get the players.  Before you knew it, we had extra three and five, and a second for the next year.  He is like a magician.  It is not easy to like a player and yet trade down a little to get some extra values.

Hernandez is a steal at 4th round to me.  He and Gron give our offense a new look.  Now we can run and pass with the two TEs set.

This wraps it up for me.  It has been fun.  Thanks for good posting.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Last thoughts.  This was the best draft I can ever remember the Patriots having on paper.  Let's hope most of these guys pan out.  9 of the 12 picks I advocated for so I hope they do great. 

Below is how the AFC East did.  I only included the average rating of the top 6, 4 for the Jets.  The Pats were the clear winners.  I actually think the Jet's off season moves were not that great considering their losses.  Santonio Holmes was really the only major upgrade.  The Dolphins had the far better off season and better draft compared to the Jets but the Patriots hands down had the best draft of them all.

BuffaloRatingMiamiRating
    #9 RB CJ Spiller8.7#28 DT J Odrick8.2
    #41 DT Torell Troup5.3#40 OLB Koa Misi7.2
    #72 DE A Carrington7.3#73 OT John Jerry6.5
    #107 WR M. Easley5.2#119 LB AJ Edds3.6
    #140 OT E Wang3.7#145 CB N Carroll2.7
    #178 DE A. Moats5.6#163 SS R Jones6.7
    #192 DE D. BattenN/A#212 OLB C McCoyN/A
    #209 QB L. Brown2.9#252 A SpitlerN/A
    #216 OT K. Calloway5.4 
    Average Top 65.97Average Top 65.82
    New EnglandRatingNew York JetsRating
    #27 CB D McCourty8.0#29 CB K Wilson8.4
    #42 TE R Gronkowski8.2#61 OT V Ducasse7.6
    #53 OLB J Cunningham7.2#112 RB J McKnight7.2
    #62 ILB B Spikes7.4#139 RB J Conner3.7
    #90 WR Taylor Price7.3  
    #113 TE A Hernandez7.4  
    #150 P Z Mesko3.1  
    #205 C T Larsen4.9  
    #208 OL T Welch3.4  
    #247 DE B. Deaderick4.6  
    #248 DT K WestinN/A  
    #250 QB Z Robinson4.4  
    Average Top 67.58Average Top 66.72

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

I guess some closing thoughts for me...

Only time will tell, but for me this has to be one of the most exciting Patriots drafts I can remember. They filled several holes and added depth at some critical positions. None of their picks this year made me feel really unhappy and like it was a reach like last year's for Brace did, although of course it's early in his career to make a judgment.

Top two rounds:

Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers - A few other directions they could have gone in, but they took one of the very best players at his position right before there was a run on those players. Special teams value should NOT be a knock on him. Who wouldn't want a player who has potential as a starter and a major special teams contributor? He showed improvement every year at Rutgers, and is a hardworking student of the game with great athleticism who should form a great trio with Bodden and Butler in nickel packages for the next few years imo.

Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona - This has to be one of my favorite picks. He absolutely would have gone 1st round if not for the back injury. I had the opportunity to see him play watching Pac-10 football over the past few years and he is downright beastly, a very complete player.

Jermaine Cunningham, DE/OLB, Florida - I won't attempt to talk much about this pick because I didn't form much of an opinion on this player before the draft, but I like what I read about him. He has the measurables and intangibles to succeed with the Patriots.

Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida - Spikes and Mayo teaming up inside. Learn to love it. Picking a two-time first team All-American where they got Spikes is pretty sweet, I have to say. Instinctive, great leadership, plays faster on tape than he ran in the 40. I think he will be a very good run stuffer for the Pats.

Best of the rest:

-Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida - Awesome value pick. TE should be a strength on the roster now. I know there was a little bit of buzz about character concerns, but I am confident that BB received the inside scoop from Urban Meyer and wouldn't have taken the kid if he thought it would be an issue. Fellow Connecticut native! :)

-Brandon Deaderick, DE, Alabama - I learned anything I know about him from this post, and although he'll need some time to add polish I really like this pick. Played through the year after being shot, so toughness = check.

-Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan - Best punter, best name. 5th may seem a little high, but special teams should no longer be a source of frustration.

Too soon to tell/not enough info:

Taylor Price, WR, Ohio - I love scouting reports on him, but WRs are always far from a sure thing. I'm keeping expectations low for this season as I think he'll need time to adjust before he can really contribute, especially because he played in a poor pass-catching system in college.

Ted Larsen, C, NC State and Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt - Honestly, just not enough familiarity to judge. However, I love Scarnecchia, so if anyone can develop these dudes into beasts, he can.

Kade Weston, DT, Georgia - N/A not enough of an opinion

Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State - I loved how he looked at the Senior Bowl, but he threw waaaay too many interceptions last season. Can improve in decision making but I liked what I saw from him in pre-draft activities, he's very athletic.

Overall, loved this draft. I think they're set up really well to take some studs next year, perhaps including a RB, top WR, or one of the big DEs being talked over early? In any case, I enjoyed reading this thread a lot and thank all of you guys for providing all the info you did and really making the days leading up to the draft more interesting. 4800+ posts is crazy. Awesome job.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

A big shout out mbeau, Pats7393, Faucetman, Low-FB-IQ and to all of you guys that makes this a special annual event.  My only wish is that zbellino had been more active.  The info was great.  I'm looking forward to next year! 

A final note.  This thread was a sanctuary this year with all the crying that went on the outside.  It probably made it that more special.

Thanks guys for a great thread!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

It has been a long and fun thread.  So much good info and fun reading it.  Gonna miss the football talk for the next little bit since we are hitting that dead time of year for the next little while.  Thank god for a vacation to the DR I have coming to distract me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

MB...Thanks again for starting this board and for all the great contributions. You hit it on the picks if you look at your original mock that kicked this thing off...you got both Spikes and Cunningham. I think that is pretty amazing considering Cunningham was on no one's radar with some odd 4800 posts or so. Great job man! i for one am very pleased with the Pats draft. They added playmakers on both sides of the ball, are a tougher team both mentally and physically, and added good depth on OL. Overall, I think i would score this draft a A-/B+. Of course, lots of off season still to go, and I think the Pats are not done. Thanks again to all. This was my first year on this board and will return next.
    Posted by PatsLifer

PL,
    Thanks!  Thank you to you too for your contributions and insight to this thread!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Thanks again to all for such a successful thread, it's been awesome to have it to fall back on for info, since JANUARY 21!

Feel free to keep posting to it as there is no reason to close it based on the title, ha.  Free agency and mini-camps should provide additional reason for discussion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A big shout out mbeau, Pats7393, Faucetman, Low-FB-IQ and to all of you guys that makes this a special annual event.  My only wish is that zbellino had been more active.  The info was great.  I'm looking forward to next year!  A final note.  This thread was a sanctuary this year with all the crying that went on the outside.  It probably made it that more special. Thanks guys for a great thread!
    Posted by garytx

gt,
    Thanks to you as well for your contributions and info!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

This from Boston.com (as a side note, you'll recognize one of the last names below as a brother of a former Patriot):

Our friends at nepatriotsdraft.com are reporting that the Patriots have so far agreed to sign a half-dozen rookie free agents:

RB Pat Paschall, North Dakota St.
    DE Dane Fletcher, Montana St.
    S Sergio Brown, Notre Dame
    S Ross Ventrone, Villanova
    WR Bryan Anderson, Central Michigan
    DL Kyle Love, Mississippi St.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I read more than I posted, but I've been a Pats fan since their first game. I enjoyed this thread a great deal, and thanks to all for the constant flow of information and quality discussions....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Thanks again to all for such a successful thread, it's been awesome to have it to fall back on for info, since JANUARY 21! Feel free to keep posting to it as there is no reason to close it based on the title, ha.  Free agency and mini-camps should provide additional reason for discussion.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Hey MB see Rolle was there in the 6th in my mock... 

Sections
Shortcuts