2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Hey MB see Rolle was there in the 6th in my mock... 
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Your point is that I was wrong? 

I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong a lot when it comes to projecting players.

I'm also right sometimes as evident by my final mock in which I had Hernandez and Deadrick going to NE (wrong slots), also had Cunningham and Spikes in my "Top 20 alternative picks outside of Rd 1" section.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think the defense looks a lot more interesting after the draft and some of the free agent pickups like Warren and Lewis. 

I don't know much about Deadrick and was wondering if he can not only play DE in our 3-4, but the likliehood that he can contribute in 2010? Do you guys see Warren and Lewis as potentially playing 3-4 DE, or are they more DT's in a 4-3?

As i sit here and ponder the events of the last few days, I'm interested in continuing some discussions around how we can deploy some of the weapons we acquired via draft and free agency...Any takers?

Also, the Hernandez pick was a gem. He, Gronk and Crump definitely sure up the position. WOndeirng what you guys thing of using Hernandez as an h-back? Possibly lining him up in the backfield, pass protect, squeeze out as a passing option. To me, he could be used in a similar capacity to Faulk, not carrying the ball per se, but for pass protection and as a receiver option out of the backfield...thoughts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Thanks for everything guys! No trolls and no whiners made this thread very special.  Looking forward to this next year.

Final Thoughts/Analysis 
    Draft Grade: A-

Devin McCourty: B
    Great player who should improve both our secondary and Special Teams from Day One.  Tough and physical, also speedy and a good return option.  I love the player, though I would rather us have added Jerry Hughes.

Rob Gronkowski: A
    1st round talent-no question.  The pats took him after having a close look at his medical reports and probably a physical-hopefully it wont be a problem.  Talent wise, he can block and catch and is a big redzone target.  Jason Witten type-he has pro bowl potential.

Jermaine Cunningham: A
    Hard working, physical pass rusher.  While Dunlap got all the attention, this guy was Florida's most consistant defender.  He should improve our pass rush from day one.

Brandon Spikes: A+
    Top 15 talent.  He can hit and help stop the run.  He's a great partner for Mayo and should start from Day one.  He plays faster than is 40 so I think we got a steal.  He's a team leader, something we lacked last year.

Taylor Price: A
    Has terrific upside and has all the tools to succeed in the NFL.  He has good hands, speed, athleticism, and size.  If he works on his route running he'll be a steal.  I expect him to contribute this year too.

Aaron Hernandez: B+
    He's a great pass catcher who should improve our passing game.  Brady has a lot of weapons this year.  He can't block but we have two guys who can.  I would have liked us to take a RB here, but Hernandez was the best player on the board.

Zoltan Mesko: A
    Improves our ST, no more 36 yard punts!  Teams will actually have to put together LONG drives to get TD's

Rest of the Crew: B+
    All depth guys to compete for a spot.  The OLine guys seem to be Vollmer type players-talented but raw.  Deaderick provides good depth and a prospect for 3-4 End.  Weston is a project player-good tolls but must be worked on, a PS guy for a couple years.  Robinson is a good Backup QB and wildcat option.

Just wish we got a HB and another pas rusher. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think the defense looks a lot more interesting after the draft and some of the free agent pickups like Warren and Lewis.  I don't know much about Deadrick and was wondering if he can not only play DE in our 3-4, but the likliehood that he can contribute in 2010? Do you guys see Warren and Lewis as potentially playing 3-4 DE, or are they more DT's in a 4-3? As i sit here and ponder the events of the last few days, I'm interested in continuing some discussions around how we can deploy some of the weapons we acquired via draft and free agency...Any takers? Also, the Hernandez pick was a gem. He, Gronk and Crump definitely sure up the position. WOndeirng what you guys thing of using Hernandez as an h-back? Possibly lining him up in the backfield, pass protect, squeeze out as a passing option. To me, he could be used in a similar capacity to Faulk, not carrying the ball per se, but for pass protection and as a receiver option out of the backfield...thoughts?
    Posted by PatsLifer

I'm ready to continue for a while.  This has been so much fun and this was perhaps the greatest Patriot draft in history.  Time is needed to digest everything.  I've been trying to put together a final 53 man depth chart but wow, is that tough to do given the talent we just loaded up on. 

Warren can play anywhere but I assume we got him to play 34 DE in Seymour's old spot.  Deaderick IMO is even better suited to play 34 DE but I think he may end up on the PS.  There just isn't enough room for him as I see it today on the 53 man roster.

Hernandez is not an in line TE.  His best attribute would be as a receiver.  I'm excited to see how BB plans to use him, as an H Back, as a FB coming out of the backfield, split out wide, in the slot.  Brady has got to be drooling.  The loss of Welker is mitigated with Gronk and AH.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I guess some closing thoughts for me... Only time will tell, but for me this has to be one of the most exciting Patriots drafts I can remember. They filled several holes and added depth at some critical positions. None of their picks this year made me feel really unhappy and like it was a reach like last year's for Brace did, although of course it's early in his career to make a judgment. Top two rounds: Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers - A few other directions they could have gone in, but they took one of the very best players at his position right before there was a run on those players. Special teams value should NOT be a knock on him. Who wouldn't want a player who has potential as a starter and a major special teams contributor? He showed improvement every year at Rutgers, and is a hardworking student of the game with great athleticism who should form a great trio with Bodden and Butler in nickel packages for the next few years imo. Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona - This has to be one of my favorite picks. He absolutely would have gone 1st round if not for the back injury. I had the opportunity to see him play watching Pac-10 football over the past few years and he is downright beastly, a very complete player. Jermaine Cunningham, DE/OLB, Florida - I won't attempt to talk much about this pick because I didn't form much of an opinion on this player before the draft, but I like what I read about him. He has the measurables and intangibles to succeed with the Patriots. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida - Spikes and Mayo teaming up inside. Learn to love it. Picking a two-time first team All-American where they got Spikes is pretty sweet, I have to say. Instinctive, great leadership, plays faster on tape than he ran in the 40. I think he will be a very good run stuffer for the Pats. Best of the rest: -Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida - Awesome value pick. TE should be a strength on the roster now. I know there was a little bit of buzz about character concerns, but I am confident that BB received the inside scoop from Urban Meyer and wouldn't have taken the kid if he thought it would be an issue. Fellow Connecticut native! :) -Brandon Deaderick, DE, Alabama - I learned anything I know about him from this post, and although he'll need some time to add polish I really like this pick. Played through the year after being shot, so toughness = check. -Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan - Best punter, best name. 5th may seem a little high, but special teams should no longer be a source of frustration. Too soon to tell/not enough info: Taylor Price, WR, Ohio - I love scouting reports on him, but WRs are always far from a sure thing. I'm keeping expectations low for this season as I think he'll need time to adjust before he can really contribute, especially because he played in a poor pass-catching system in college. Ted Larsen, C, NC State and Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt - Honestly, just not enough familiarity to judge. However, I love Scarnecchia, so if anyone can develop these dudes into beasts, he can. Kade Weston, DT, Georgia - N/A not enough of an opinion Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State - I loved how he looked at the Senior Bowl, but he threw waaaay too many interceptions last season. Can improve in decision making but I liked what I saw from him in pre-draft activities, he's very athletic. Overall, loved this draft. I think they're set up really well to take some studs next year, perhaps including a RB, top WR, or one of the big DEs being talked over early? In any case, I enjoyed reading this thread a lot and thank all of you guys for providing all the info you did and really making the days leading up to the draft more interesting. 4800+ posts is crazy. Awesome job.
    Posted by PeaceLaur

Well summarized Peace.  I know 9 of the 12 picks from all the research I've done plus the vast contibutions here on those players.  In talking to experts since the draft Larson is said to be good enough to battle Koppen at Center if not this year, next.  Deaderick has huge potential but I think he and Weston end up on the PS this year.  Welch is projected as RT and could end up being better than Kazcur in time.  We traded both 7s to move to the top of the 7th for him so he must be highly thought of by BB.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I was having a hard time finding highlights of Gronkoski, but I found some today and boy is this kid good. He reminds me of Jerremy Shockey when he came out. If his back is ok this is a major league steal, he has top 15 talent, no question about it. For a guy so tall and big he moves real well and looks athletic, he also looks very natural and polished catching the ball. If he can stay healthy I think he will be the best tight end in the league in two years and catch 70 to 85 passes anually. Brady is very lucky to have a guy like this on the team. Add in Hernandez and Price and the offense is much more dynamic than last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

A big shout out mbeau, Pats7393, Faucetman, Low-FB-IQ and to all of you guys that makes this a special annual event.  My only wish is that zbellino had been more active.  The info was great.  I'm looking forward to next year!  A final note.  This thread was a sanctuary this year with all the crying that went on the outside.  It probably made it that more special. Thanks guys for a great thread!
    Posted by garytx

I agree with you Gary.  This discussion thread has been a sanctuary.  I have come here everyday to emerse myself in the draft discussions as a distraction to the the economic difficulties of the times.  I learned a lot football in general and the players in particular and consider myself wiser for the effort.  Thanks to all who contributed.

I am very happy with the draft.  But I wonder whether Veldheer was drafted and why BB didn't pursue him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Thanks for all the great information everyone provided, I came here daily to find out the next name I needed to go watch video on. The so called analysts don't have much on alot of you guys who have been posting, other than no full time jobs outside of football. I learned alot and thanks again. Will leave you with a post I just read that gives an interesting way to evalute our draft ( although it uses ESPN as its backdrop, but can we really escape them ( Thank you NFL network ).

Originaly from Yogi3333

The Patriots were one of 5 teams that claimed 5 of the top 100 rated players (per ESPN) entering the draft, the other two playoff teams claiming that fete were Baltimore and Cincinatti (while Denver and Cleveland round out the field).

Of the 5 teams, the Pats had the best (lowest) average Overall Ranking at 55.8, (where Clausen was #1).

Baltimore had the best average value at -27 (eg got the 73rd rated player at draft position 100). Baltimore got David Reed, ranked 78, at pick #156 and David Pitta, the #66 ranked TE at pick #114. The Pats were -11 on value with Hernandez (pick 113) and Price (pick 90) valuing -28 and -27 respectively versus their rankings.

From a purely quantitative standpoint, based on what we kno today, assuming the top 100 players represent the cream of the crop, New England and (unfortunately) Baltimore had the best drafts of 2010.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Your point is that I was wrong?  I'll be the first to admit that I'm wrong a lot when it comes to projecting players. I'm also right sometimes as evident by my final mock in which I had Hernandez and Deadrick going to NE (wrong slots), also had Cunningham and Spikes in my "Top 20 alternative picks outside of Rd 1" section.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

No bro'. You never said he wouldn't be there, you only said you would be all over him. Was only saying he did end up being there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : No bro'. You never said he wouldn't be there, you only said you would be all over him. Was only saying he did end up being there.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Ahh gotcha.  Yeah, I bummed that they didn't grab him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Congratulations to all the draft GURUS namely:

MBeau ...................J.Cunningham, B.Spikes..............you stuck with the Gators defensive leaders..............so did Bill B.

Pats 7393............B.Deaderick.........hope he plays better than his name.

Faucetman............Favourite player.........."T. Price"

Supernova...........B. Deaderick

Low FB ..........A. Hernandez.

Heard taped recording of Aaron Hernandez. Has grown up in area and Pats fan all his life. Really honoured to be a Pat.That with Rob Gronkowski's genuine thrill on being named a Patriot makes me happy to see this. Really think these two are going to change the face of Bill Belichik's offence.

Love the Gators defenders and now we know why Bill shouted Tim Tebow dinner.

What do you think about the running back situation.....would have loved Gerhart, Tate, Hardesty or Dixon...in that order. Why did J. Dwyer slip so far?

Well done all..............great reading everyones posts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

After some reflection and although it is an excellent draft and am very very happy, I still can't believe we passed on running back Anthony Dixon in the sixth round ..................I thought he was a steal there.

That position still worries me greatly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

i called McCourty... had him as our pick at 28, trading to charges so they culd take Matthews, and i knew it was time for us to get a new CB bcus we will cut the trash from this teams CB corps(wilhite and weahtly) BB hit a homerun with this kid, tough, strong, fastest CB in draft and good hieght, and when i food out about his special teams play i knew he had BB PATRIOT all over him

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Is anyone else already excited about the 2011 draft?  Another 4 picks in the first two rounds, talk about setting yourself up long term.

Assuming they make the picks that would give them (3) 1st rounders and (9) 2nd rounders from 2009-2011, that's a lot of high round talent.

Below is an early "watch list" of potential targets, please feel free to add:

Michael Floyd- WR- Notre Dame
    Julio Jones- WR- Alabama

Austin Pettis- WR- Boise State

Jonathan Baldwin- WR- Pitt

Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma
    Mark Ingram- RB- Alabama

Noel Devine- RB- West Virginia

Kyle Rudolph- TE- Notre Dame

Owen Marecic- FB- Stanford

Stanley Havili- FB- USC
    Jake Locker- QB- Washington

Ryan Mallet- QB- Arkansas
    Greg Romeus- DE- Pitt

Marcel Dareus- DE- Alabama
    Adrian Clayborn- DE - Iowa
    Jared Crick- DT/DE- Nebraska

Allen Bailey- DT/DE- Miami

Cameron Heyward- DT/DE- Ohio State
    Chris Galippo- ILB- USC

Mark Herlzich- OLB- Boston College
    Patrick Peterson- CB- LSU
    Anthony Castonzo- OT- Boston College

Mike Pouncey- C- Florida

**There are a lot of draft eligible DE prospects in the 6-4/6-5 250-270 pound range that could be options at 3-4 OLB**

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Congratulations to all the draft GURUS namely: MBeau ...................J.Cunningham, B.Spikes..............you stuck with the Gators defensive leaders..............so did Bill B. Pats 7393............B.Deaderick.........hope he plays better than his name. Faucetman............Favourite player.........."T. Price" Supernova...........B. Deaderick Low FB ..........A. Hernandez. Heard taped recording of Aaron Hernandez. Has grown up in area and Pats fan all his life. Really honoured to be a Pat.That with Rob Gronkowski's genuine thrill on being named a Patriot makes me happy to see this. Really think these two are going to change the face of Bill Belichik's offence. Love the Gators defenders and now we know why Bill shouted Tim Tebow dinner. What do you think about the running back situation.....would have loved Gerhart, Tate, Hardesty or Dixon...in that order. Why did J. Dwyer slip so far? Well done all..............great reading everyones posts.
    Posted by sydneypat

Syd,
    Thanks.  I think the issue with Dwyer was that his speed drill numbers (40/3C/SS) showed him to be slow in every direction (straightline, side to side and in an out of cuts/breaks).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Is anyone else already excited about the 2011 draft?  Another 4 picks in the first two rounds, talk about setting yourself up long term. Assuming they make the picks that would give them (3) 1st rounders and (9) 2nd rounders from 2009-2011, that's a lot of high round talent. Below is an early "watch list" of potential targets, please feel free to add: Michael Floyd- WR- Notre Dame Julio Jones- WR- Alabama Austin Pettis- WR- Boise State Jonathan Baldwin- WR- Pitt Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma Mark Ingram- RB- Alabama Noel Devine- RB- West Virginia Kyle Rudolph- TE- Notre Dame Owen Marecic- FB- Stanford Stanley Havili- FB- USC Jake Locker- QB- Washington Ryan Mallet- QB- Arkansas Greg Romeus- DE- Pitt Marcel Dareus- DE- Alabama Adrian Clayborn- DE - Iowa Jared Crick- DT/DE- Nebraska Allen Bailey- DT/DE- Miami Cameron Heyward- DT/DE- Ohio State Chris Galippo- ILB- USC Mark Herlzich- OLB- Boston College Patrick Peterson- CB- LSU Anthony Castonzo- OT- Boston College Mike Pouncey- C- Florida **There are a lot of draft eligible DE prospects in the 6-4/6-5 250-270 pound range that could be options at 3-4 OLB**  
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Adding a few to your list...

Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin 6-7 325
    A.J. Green WR Georgia 6-4 208
    Andrew Luck QB Stanford 6-4 235
    Matt Reynolds OT BYU 6-6 329
    Rahim Moore FS UCLA 6-1 197
    Quan Sturdivant MLB North Carolina 6-2 235
    Ryan Williams RB Virginia Tech 5-10 206
    Nate Solder OT Colorado U 6-9 305
    Daniel Thomas RB Kansas State 6-2 227
    Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska 6-1 200
    Dante Hightower LB Alabama

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjcaesar. Show kjcaesar's posts

AJ Green and Ingram will be really nice:)
    Hope we can get one of them or even both!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Critter23. Show Critter23's posts

Thanks again to all of you for being so informative and getting me ready for the draft.  Faucet, would you mind going over each guy and saying what you think?  What's everybody's overview of how we did?  I'm still a little worried about the pass rush.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Adding a few to your list... Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin 6-7 325 A.J. Green WR Georgia 6-4 208 Andrew Luck QB Stanford 6-4 235 Matt Reynolds OT BYU 6-6 329 Rahim Moore FS UCLA 6-1 197 Quan Sturdivant MLB North Carolina 6-2 235 Ryan Williams RB Virginia Tech 5-10 206 Nate Solder OT Colorado U 6-9 305 Daniel Thomas RB Kansas State 6-2 227 Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska 6-1 200 Dante Hightower LB Alabama
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Low, thanks man.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

awesome thread... i read it daily and tried to contribute occassionally

Heres to another succesful draft next year... two 1's and two 2's!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Low, thanks man.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I'm assuming the unspecified off fields issues we could never seem to find out was the failed drug test at Florida for Aaron Hernandez....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I'm assuming the unspecified off fields issues we could never seem to find out was the failed drug test at Florida for Aaron Hernandez....
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I agree, suprised it never leaked out before draft weekend. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I agree, suprised it never leaked out before draft weekend. 
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I agree but as suprised as I am about it. I am even more suprised that I did not read one story prior to the draft about Sergio Kindles apparent knee problems. I also never read anything about him being Narcopleptic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I agree but as suprised as I am about it. I am even more suprised that I did not read one story prior to the draft about Sergio Kindles apparent knee problems. I also never read anything about him being Narcopleptic.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

soo he smoked pot? SO WHAT?!?!? another story blown out of proportion, everyone smokes...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Thanks again to all of you for being so informative and getting me ready for the draft.  Faucet, would you mind going over each guy and saying what you think?  What's everybody's overview of how we did?  I'm still a little worried about the pass rush.
    Posted by Critter23

Critter if you are interested we finally put together our thoughts on it all here