2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

We drafted Wilfork at pick 21. We drafted Warren at pick 14.

If Wilfork and Warren the prospects were both coming out this year, they would both be top 10 picks easy, because so many more teams are competing for 3-4 players.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The 3-4 talent is out there, they just have to do a better job of identifying, drafting and developing it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

I see your point aro, but aren't good 4-3 DE's not similiar hard to find as 3-4 OLB's?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

aka not the same, a 34 OLB has to drop back into coverage.  He's not rushing every down, a 43 might have to drop once or twice in a game but its not anywhere close to how an OLB needs to be able to cover RBs TEs and sometimes WRs crossing or in the flats if there's a CB blitz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

I think we need an equivalent number of new guys for either system. So it comes down to BB's liking...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"So it comes down to BB's liking..."

...And hopefully the prospects and FAs available are also significant factors.

3-4 or 4-3, next year's probable top 10 pick can certainly be used on the next Seymour or McGinist, perhaps.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

aro I think that player is in this draft, Jared Odrick from Penn State.  I watched him go against Iupati (top projected guard) as a DT during today's senior bowl practice and he man handled him.

He also rushed as a DE against ND's left tackle and ran right by him. 

Odrick is 6'5" 305lbs but moves like a LB.  This guy I think is a must, he will shot up draft boards but I think could be had at 22.  He would be able to stop the run and also give some pass rush from a DE position. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Odrick is then a pick for the 4-3 scheme?

Pats, I think you didn't understand what I meant earlier. What I wanted to say is that to find a good 4-3 DE is as hard as finding a 3-4 OLB in the draft or am I mistaken?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

He could play either a DE in 34 or DT/DE in 43.

I think finding a good OLB in a 34 might be a bit harder because of dropping into coverage.  If they were only asked to pass rush and play the run it would be even but they also have to pickup coverage on a RB or TEs. 

But it is also harder to find a 34 DE than a 43 DE, the 34 has to be mobile enough to play the run and russ but have enough body mass stand his ground against tackles and pulling guards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Pats, thanks for the explanation.
    So to draft for a 34 is harder and riskier, because the players have to be more versatile and it isn't used that much in college.

I just watched a few vids of Odrick and have to say he looks good, too good for spot 22 in the draft ;) But perhaps we get lucky.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Yeah, historically (even last year) projected OLB tend to drop in the draft because they are a risk.  This year though I think the trend changes at least just for 2010 because of the success guys like Clay Matthews had.

At the same time you had Buffalo pick Aaron Maybin at 11 and IMO he didn't show 11th overall production.  So they are hit or miss but I think with more teams going to a 34 D these guys will be drafted higher this year than maybe so in previous years.

The more I see on Odrick the more I think he needs to be a Patriot.  He's also from what the commentators were saying has a mean streak to him.  We need some toughness back on this team, he would be a nice start.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

He would be a good fit from watching some vids.
    In the second than add Sapp, Ducasse ( I watched some videos of him too, and I think he could be a goog fit too.) and Eric Decker.
    In the 4th another OLB for Depth
    In the 6th the the Basketball TE.
    One could consider it then a Good draft, I would say.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

akaitcho if we could get Odrick, Sapp, Ducasee (although the Chiefs are really high on this guy, he will be gone early in the 2nd round) or Callaway, Decker say as you suggest OLB in the 4th Koa Misi. TEs I think we'll pickup a mid level FA and draft as you suggest one in late rounds like a Cody Slate from Marshall or Ryan Moya from UCLA.
    With those picks and the others used to add depth I think it would get a A+ from all the experts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

So lets start to pray that it happens. :D

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Odrick certainly has the ideal BB 3-4 DE size, it will be interesting to see how much an impressive post season will improve his stock.

And to think Tyson Jackson went #3 overall last year.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think Odrick goes top 20, he just looks the part and plays extremely well and does it on the Os side of the line of scrimage.  Pushed Iupati back on a few one on one drills.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd agree with the top 20-25 potential as players of this size, versatility and skill set at a premium position don't grow on trees.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

kebbe ,

Thanks man.  Okay, sold.  Ingram is a HIT.  I also agree that Mankins, Goskowski and Wilfork need to be signed.  In an uncapped year, Mankins is only a restricted free agent so the Pats will tender him the highest amount meaning it would cost another team a 1st round pick to sign him.  Wilfork will be tagged although I hate to see him unhappy.  I would much rather we locked him up and made him happy.  We can't afford to lose him.  I agree somewhat with those that say make the switch to 4-3.  It almost seems like we are getting players for that D recently.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I've seen a few mocks with Odrick's name on our ledger at #22.  Personally I don't have him ranked that high yet.  Actually thinking of him more as a #40ish pick, but who knows?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Like Pats said, at the Senior Bowl practice he looked quite good, if he continues like this he will rise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Guys,

Here are a couple of "sleeper" picks to keep your eyes open for. 

Donovan Warren, CB Michigan, 6-0, 187, 4.40.  I have him as #2 CB on my board behind Joe Haden.  Most people have him like 10th.  He's an inch taller and the same speed as Haden.  Watch for him to fly up the board after the Combines.  He might be gone at #22 but if not, he could be the next Darrelle Revis.  Personally I wish we would stop f-ing around and draft a pure cover shut down corner.  This guy is like clue and is very fluid.  At #44, I'd be all over him.

Clifton Geathers DE 6-8, 281 4.89 S. Carolina.  Received a 4-7 round grade by the NFL advisory commitee.  Has NFL pedigree and I think he could develop into a starter and be had in the 5th round. 

More sleepers coming.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, although I know you are a draft nut like me, I am a littl shocked by the comment, "Personally I wish we would stop f-ing around and draft a pure cover shut down corner."  I know you know how hard that is to find, so I am not sure why u would say it.  Do you think BB is avoiding shut down corners?  he doesnt want one?  I am pretty sure he wants 1 or 3 of them, they are just so very hard to find.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i like this cat by the name of ANTHONY DIXON, and unstoppable RB from Mississippi State
    hes a nice, big' old RB, about 6'1 and hes a bulldozer, plus hes a great passcatcher
    hes set all sorts of records and has a helluva lot of rushing yards for his colligate career, yet hes flying under the radar.  perfect player to draft

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Maybe the patriots go and draft the all South Florida Defensive backfield of Allen and Murphy both of whom are 6'0 at least. Tebow will be drafted as a QB,so that will take him off the Pats board immediately. Heck if BB just wants to improve his defense he can spend 4 draft choices on the S.florida team as both Selvie and John Paul Pierre are also eligible players. To bad they don't have a top ten pick this year they could then just draft the entire Gator team of defenders coming out! HadenDB,Spikes LB, Dunlop OLB, and then just too make sure you got the best the Gators had too offer,just draft James,Hernandez and Cooper.Man there are a lot of good football players in this state. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

MordecaiBloodmoon ,

What I am trying to say is BB has been trying to find bargain CBs in the draft rather than going after the best CB either by trading up in the first or by taking one where he is at in the first.  Instead the past two years we've seen him take 2 CBs in the 2nd and one in the 4th hoping to find the next Asante Samuel (taken in the 4th).  A few years back, the Jets moved up to get Revis.  This was a move that clearly paid off.

Lately we tend to move down to pick up additional picks rather than taking the best guy available.  Last year we were sitting at #23.  We could have taken Vontae Davis who the Dolphins took at #25.  Davis shut Moss down twice and went over him for an INT in the end zone.  Davis appears to be a future Pro Bowler and most like would have solved our need at CB.  Or we could have taken Clay Matthews who went to GB at #26 and made the Pro Bowl his first year.  We could've had Rey Maualuga at #34 and filled our two most pressing needs, a rush OLB and a big play run stopper in the middle.  Instead we took Patrick Chung who might end up being good but did little this year and was the 4th safety on the depth chart behind Sanders, Meriweather and McGowen.

Then we move up to take Ron Brace who was one of the most lethargic DTs in the draft at #40.  I had him at #76 on my board last year.  It's too soon to call him a bust but he only got in for 50 plays last year and was pushed around pretty good in the play-off game against the Ravens.  Butler I liked at 41 although he was less than stellar and Vollmer was as it turns out a brilliant pick.

I think we sometimes emphasize quantity over quality.  Then we get cute by trading picks for questionable talent like Gregg Lewis and Derrick Burgess while getting essentially nothing for guys like David Thomas and Ellis Hobbs.  Thomas played a huge part in the Saints success and Hobbs while exposed at CB at times with us was one of the best kick returns in the game.

This year I'd like to see them stay put or move up using late round picks and get 4 can't miss starters (or near future starters).

Sections
Shortcuts