2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

There is a chance we trade up in the draft, not betting on it though. If we were to I think Seattle at 14 would be a likely spot. Give up the 22nd and 53rd. If we had the 14th pick, who do you think BB might target? Derick Morgan if he was still avail seems an option, how would he fit into our defense?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Back to the Comp Pick Subject that IQ brought up.  Been giving that some thought.  I think the Pats are being BRILLANT.  We aren't adding any big name F/A but losing two starters, Watson and Green, we are setting ourselves up for comp picks for 2011.  Below is taken from some research I did from AdamJT13.

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors. It should be noted that the contract values used in the equation seemingly do not include things such as workout bonuses, incentives and conditional bonuses. (Also, keep in mind that the contract figures reported in the media often are incorrect.) And the playing time used in the equation seemingly is the percentage of offensive or defensive snaps played.

A simple method of determining for which qualifying free agents a team will be compensated is this – for every player acquired, cancel out a lost player of similar value. For example, consider a team that loses one qualifying player whose value would bring a third-round comp pick and another qualifying player whose value would bring a sixth-round comp pick but signs a qualifying player whose value would be in the range of a third-round pick. That team would receive a sixth-round comp pick because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the higher-valued player. If the signed player’s value was equal to a fourth-round pick or lower, however, the team would receive a third-round comp pick, because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the lower-valued player.

It is possible for a team to get a compensatory pick even if it doesn’t suffer a net loss of qualifying free agents. That type of comp pick comes at the end of the seventh round, after the normal comp picks and before the non-compensatory picks that are added if fewer than 32 comp picks are awarded. There have been 13 of these “net value” type of comp picks awarded, and in each case, the combined value of the free agents lost was significantly higher than the combined value of the free agents added. In all 13 cases, those teams lost the same number of qualifying free agents as they signed. No team has been awarded a comp pick after signing more qualifying free agents than it lost, no matter how significant the difference in combined value.

Based on this and reviewing the salaries and playing time of players who brought comp picks to their former team, I have determined that Green should bring a 4-5 round pick and Watson a 6th round pick.

Next year if we lose Moss and Mankins we could expect to land a 3rd and 4th round comp pick for 2012.  I can't think of any stars we lost not cut or traded last year so I am NOT expecting us to be awarded any 2010 comp picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    There is a chance we trade up in the draft, not betting on it though. If we were to I think Seattle at 14 would be a likely spot. Give up the 22nd and 53rd. If we had the 14th pick, who do you think BB might target? Derick Morgan if he was still avail seems an option, how would he fit into our defense?
    Posted by Asher77

I proposed that same trade but only if McClain was there.  This was before McClain revealed he has Crohn's disease.  The disease seems to be well managed by diet so my earlier doomsday predictions appear wrong at this point.  Nobody is expecting it to affect his draft status.

I can't think of another player the Pats would give up a 2nd to move up to get.  Dan Williams maybe.  They are pretty set at CB and S so I can't see the move for Berry, Earl Thomas or Haden.  I don't see Derrick Morgan in play at 14.  He will be the first DE off the board.  With DET, TB, CLE, MIA and SF needing DEs, I think one will take him, but valid point.  If he's there, would we make the climb to get him?  Personally I wouldn't make the move for him when I could stand pat and take Graham.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I am not arguing your point Faucet just giving commentary. The Patriots Draft history preferences are well documented. I do think it will be an active draft even with all the depth. I wish I knew who they had their eye on for next year. Either as a potential draft pick or as a UFA next year. I think that must play into the decision process if they like two guys the same at different positions. I also wonder what scouts think of Pouncey. I like McCoys comments, that holds a lot of weight for me. If Dante likes him I like him. Can't argue with Dantes track record. It was very interesting to list to the podcast the other day of scouts really picking apart this years top tackles. They didn't think there was an elite tackle in the bunch. Not even Okung. For a short while I saw Pouncey creeping up near the Patriots pick but then more recently I have seen him back down around 30 again. The Patriots have generally been pretty good with their 1st rounders so I am sure I will think it was a solid pick. Who ever it is. Even guys like Watson and Maroney. They aren't being picked in the top 10 or 12 guys. If a late first round pick starts for you almost from day one and lasts with the team to play out his entire rookie contract you are doing pretty good imo. There are plenty who don't even do that.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

True.  Other teams have had biggest first round busts.  Graham, Watson and Maroney aren't busts, they just haven't lived up to expectations as first round picks.  Nobody takes a blocking TE in the first, but that is what Graham ended up being.  Nobody takes a pass catching TE like Watson if they know he would average 35 catches and 400 yards or whatever it was.  Nobody takes a back like Maroney at 21 expecting that he won't challege 1,000 yards in any year and not be a threat coming out of the backfield.

The scouts are crazy about Pouncey.  You just don't see interior OL types taken in the first round - at least not high.  This year Iupati will go in the top 20 and Pouncey will go to the Colts at 31 if we don't take him.  I can already hear his name called out like Saturday every Sunday.  He will be a 15 year starter with 12 Pro Bowls.  I don't care if you are a kicker, that kind of production is worthy of #22 overall.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Just got off the phone with my brother.  He runs a draft site called condraft.com.  Anyway, he wants us to take a game changing play maker like Spiller or Best or even Golden Tate at 22.  Best will be there.  I'm 100% sure.  Tate is 50/50 to be there if D. Thomas is taken over him.  Spiller will be long gone and if he isn't Houston will take him at 20.

It would be so out of character for BB to do this.  He tried with Maroney and got burned.  He struck out with two TEs.  The rest of his 1st round picks were linemen, a S and a LB, all were/are studs. 

I truly think he will take Iupati or Williams if either are there or Odrick and Pouncey.  Those are the most logical choices if one gets inside his brain.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Back to the Comp Pick Subject that IQ brought up.  Been giving that some thought.  I think the Pats are being BRILLANT.  We aren't adding any big name F/A but losing two starters, Watson and Green, we are setting ourselves up for comp picks for 2011.  Below is taken from some research I did from AdamJT13 . As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula. Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors. It should be noted that the contract values used in the equation seemingly do not include things such as workout bonuses, incentives and conditional bonuses. (Also, keep in mind that the contract figures reported in the media often are incorrect.) And the playing time used in the equation seemingly is the percentage of offensive or defensive snaps played. A simple method of determining for which qualifying free agents a team will be compensated is this – for every player acquired, cancel out a lost player of similar value. For example, consider a team that loses one qualifying player whose value would bring a third-round comp pick and another qualifying player whose value would bring a sixth-round comp pick but signs a qualifying player whose value would be in the range of a third-round pick. That team would receive a sixth-round comp pick because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the higher-valued player. If the signed player’s value was equal to a fourth-round pick or lower, however, the team would receive a third-round comp pick, because the signed player would cancel out the loss of the lower-valued player. It is possible for a team to get a compensatory pick even if it doesn’t suffer a net loss of qualifying free agents. That type of comp pick comes at the end of the seventh round, after the normal comp picks and before the non-compensatory picks that are added if fewer than 32 comp picks are awarded. There have been 13 of these “net value” type of comp picks awarded, and in each case, the combined value of the free agents lost was significantly higher than the combined value of the free agents added. In all 13 cases, those teams lost the same number of qualifying free agents as they signed. No team has been awarded a comp pick after signing more qualifying free agents than it lost, no matter how significant the difference in combined value. Based on this and reviewing the salaries and playing time of players who brought comp picks to their former team, I have determined that Green should bring a 4-5 round pick and Watson a 6th round pick. Next year if we lose Moss and Mankins we could expect to land a 3rd and 4th round comp pick for 2012.  I can't think of any stars we lost not cut or traded last year so I am NOT expecting us to be awarded any 2010 comp picks.
    Posted by Faucetman

See here for possible compensatory picks...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

First Go Round,

#22 WR Demaryius Thomas- We need a WR and after watching all the tape I can find this guys size and speed combo is impressive. Due to his injury alot of people have him lower but come draft time he will be slotted mid-late first. Affraid of the bust factor on WR's drafted early but if we want the upside we need to take the risk. Could be special.

#45 Tyson Alualu- Best DL avail. He is a hard nosed player who doesn't quit and can collapse a pocket. The type of guy we need to open up holes for are edge rushers and ILB's to step up and make plays.

#48 Ben Tate- This guy is fast and doesn't mess around. He can get around the edge but also heads right up the middle with no hesitation. His awareness seems to be very acute with good lateral moves, doesn't lose speed when cutting. faster than Gerhart and stronger than Hardesty.

#53 Anthony McCoy- TE nobody is talking about, he is a great blocker and is also very effective in the passing game. Has the size BB will want, durable, strong player. Good chance to be one of the best dual role TE's out there. Good fit for our play style. reminds me a little of old Ben Coates.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : True.  Other teams have had biggest first round busts.  Graham, Watson and Maroney aren't busts, they just haven't lived up to expectations as first round picks.  Nobody takes a blocking TE in the first, but that is what Graham ended up being.  Nobody takes a pass catching TE like Watson if they know he would average 35 catches and 400 yards or whatever it was.  Nobody takes a back like Maroney at 21 expecting that he won't challege 1,000 yards in any year and not be a threat coming out of the backfield. The scouts are crazy about Pouncey.  You just don't see interior OL types taken in the first round - at least not high.  This year Iupati will go in the top 20 and Pouncey will go to the Colts at 31 if we don't take him.  I can already hear his name called out like Saturday every Sunday.  He will be a 15 year starter with 12 Pro Bowls.  I don't care if you are a kicker, that kind of production is worthy of #22 overall.
    Posted by Faucetman

I am not sure that says as much about them as it does about the lack of "elite" talent in this draft.

I will say this again and again till I am blue in the face. This draft is deeper in the late first to possibly entire 2nd round but there may not even be as many elite players in this draft compared to some other years.

I still think lupatis rating is crazy to me. I haven't heard a single person , not one scout say they think he can play tackle. In the scout podcast the other day they questioned if he could come in and play from day one. They said it depended on how quickly he absorbs coaching cause he is so raw and lunges and reaches and is often off balance. Geno Atkins completely abused him during senior bowl week anytime luptai had to pass block.

So many of the top guys have more chinks in the armor than I am used to reading about.

They say Rolando shows up on film dogging it too much of the time.

They say that the south florida folks have been telling teams that the hype on pierre paul is a bit much. He had 1 "great" year I guess and even in that "great" year still only managed 6.5 sacks. He played at community college before that. So for his career at a top level school he has 6.5 sacks. Sorry it would make me uneasy to invest big guaranteed money on a guy like that.

I can go on but the general point is that I think some guys rating out higher in the first round says less about them then it does a about the lack of elite talent at the top.

Thats one think I really like about my perception of the Patriots and their draft philosophy. I do not know if I am right but they seem to grade a player based on a criteria that goes against a historical grading chart for their organization.

My perception is that they grade a player irrelevant to the current draft prospects, as much as possible. They grade them against all players historically. I think thats why it seems, to us fans, that they pass over so many guys. If a player is projected to go in the 1st in this years draft by default of there not being enough better players to go ahead of him then the pats won't reach and take him. If they do not have a grade on a player equal to the value of the slot they will trade down and select a player with the appropriate grade for the slot.

I have long argued that to me it does not seem possible that every year there is a number one or top 3-5 QB in the draft? It just doesn't seem statistically possible but almost every year there seems to be one rated there. It's like there is some unwritten rule that there has to be one in every draft.

Let's look at LB for a moment. We drafted Mayo at 10 I think. (I know what I am about to say flies in the face of my argument regarding the Pats) Patrick Willis went at 11 the year before. Is anyone going to argue Mayo is better than Willis? OK maybe the Pats thought Mayo was close enough. OK now go back 2 years prior to Mayo. AJ Hawk went 5 and Ernie Sims went 9 yet I remember exec's being quoted as saying if Mayo had come out in that draft he would have gone ahead of all of them.

Bottom line is that when I am scratching my head when the Patriots skip on a player I always assume they have completely different grades then all the consensus on players and thats its not that they don't like or want a player but that they don't want them at the same draft slot as everyone else thinks he's worth.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Demaryius is my only hesitation. I question his IQ to pick up the offense. Only look at these stats:

Comp.Att.YardsPercent
    5-SepJacksonville61114154.5
    10-SepClemson3148321.4
    17-Sep@Miami61513340
    26-SepNorth Carolina7118963.6
    3-Oct@Mississippi111426678.6
    10-Oct@Florida4813150
    17-OctVirginia Tech175114.3
    24-Oct@Virginia488550
    31-Oct@Vanderbilt61319346.2
    7-NovWake4145128.6
    14-Nov@Duke61019560
    28-NovGeorgia61213550
    5-Dec@Clemson91613656.3
    FedEx Orange Bowl Iowa291222.2

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Georgia Tech averaged less than 12 attempts per game. Thomas lead the team with 46 receptions, second best was 8. Thats right 8. His QB was terrible, 46% accuracy. Thomas was the only threat. Dwyer racked up big yardage on the ground. Analysts talk about his non crisp routes and lack of blocking, HOW BORED WOULD YOU BE! yet this kid didn't complain. Seems like a nice guy in interviews, not the type to pull a randy Moss or T.O., he will spead the field and wait his turn.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

So to sum it up, if Thomas had a legit #2 receiver opposite him and a QB like Clausen ( like Tate had, though I like Tate ) what kind of monster stats could you have expected from him? Throw the kid some balls, let him work on his route running, let him not block for once lol, and give him an accurate pass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Out here on the west coast in AZ. Watching video all night and I was watching Dwyer run the ball so I could see D. Thomas's hustle and blocking ability. No issue's there. This guy man handles CB's on runs to his side, even saw him come in line and line up like a TE, stood up the LB no problem.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Faucetman- In 3-4 mock drafts I moniter Maurkice Pouncey,goes to the Colts 1st pick at 31and Golden Tate to the Jests in round one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

First Go Round, #22 WR Demaryius Thomas- We need a WR and after watching all the tape I can find this guys size and speed combo is impressive. Due to his injury alot of people have him lower but come draft time he will be slotted mid-late first. Affraid of the bust factor on WR's drafted early but if we want the upside we need to take the risk. Could be special. #45 Tyson Alualu- Best DL avail. He is a hard nosed player who doesn't quit and can collapse a pocket. The type of guy we need to open up holes for are edge rushers and ILB's to step up and make plays. #48 Ben Tate- This guy is fast and doesn't mess around. He can get around the edge but also heads right up the middle with no hesitation. His awareness seems to be very acute with good lateral moves, doesn't lose speed when cutting. faster than Gerhart and stronger than Hardesty. #53 Anthony McCoy- TE nobody is talking about, he is a great blocker and is also very effective in the passing game. Has the size BB will want, durable, strong player. Good chance to be one of the best dual role TE's out there. Good fit for our play style. reminds me a little of old Ben Coates.
    Posted by Asher77

I really like Tate and Alualu. Tate is regarded as someone that lacks speed, then he went to the combine and did very well. On tape you can see his talent and speed, so I don't know why I've been reading he does'nt have speed. Alualu is a kid I've been in love with; his effort is outstanding, gets nice and low and holds his ground, gets some pressure and can tackle. He is short and not very big, I'm sure Belichek would find a place for him, even if he looks like he'd fit into the 43 better than the 34. I think the team would be happy with your selections.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Just got off the phone with my brother.  He runs a draft site called condraft.com.  Anyway, he wants us to take a game changing play maker like Spiller or Best or even Golden Tate at 22.  Best will be there.  I'm 100% sure.  Tate is 50/50 to be there if D. Thomas is taken over him.  Spiller will be long gone and if he isn't Houston will take him at 20. It would be so out of character for BB to do this.  He tried with Maroney and got burned.  He struck out with two TEs.  The rest of his 1st round picks were linemen, a S and a LB, all were/are studs.  I truly think he will take Iupati or Williams if either are there or Odrick and Pouncey.  Those are the most logical choices if one gets inside his brain.
    Posted by Faucetman

I'll tell you what, we need some play makers on offense. Best would be tempting, he's got rare skills that would scare the crap out of most teams, but the concussions scare me. We sure could take a chance on a play maker, with 3 second round picks and a draft pretty deep, it makes sense. Iv'e been studying the outside tweener guys and aside from Graham you could lump ten of them together that could go anywhere from 22 to the 5th round.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : See  here  for possible compensatory picks...
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I was trying to think of who we lost that wasn't traded or cut.  Gaffney and Evans I could see a 7th each.  Paxton was just a long snapper who made less than $1MM.  Jordan, barely played.  But nice to know we should pick up at least a pair of 7ths.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

IQ,

I tend to agree with your observations on the elite talent in the first round.  There is good talent there, but I agree many of the players ranked high are not worth the hype.  I agree that there are no elite QBs but I'm hoping/expecting both to go before 22.  Here's my list of guys that are over-hyped for various reasons whether it's poor tape, character issues, work out freaks, etc.

Sam Bradford
    Jimmy Clausen
    Jason Pierre-Paul
    Taylor Mays
    Anthony Davis
    Sergio Kindle
    Everson Griffen
    Carlos Dunlap
    Bryan Bulaga

Then there are guys I think will be stars. 

Ndamukong Suh
    Gerald McCoy
    Russell Okung
    Eric Berry
    Joe Haden
    C.J. Spiller
    Earl Thomas
    Brandon Graham
    Dan Williams
    S Weatherspoon
    Golden Tate
    Ryan Mathews
    Maurkice Pouncey

Then there are some guys that I think could go either way.  Again, could be based on character, injuries, some poor or conflicting tape, or system compatibility.

Dez Bryant
    Rolando McClain
    Trent Williams
    Mike Iupati
    Jermaine Gresham
    Jared Odrick
    Brian Price
    Jahvid Best
    Kyle Wilson
    Jonathan Dwyer

These are my top 32 based on all the boards I monitor.  I won't take the time to break down each player and why I've grouped them this way.  But if I'm making the selection at #22, I'm taking someone from the star list.  There are 13 guys there that I think are solid first round picks.  Of them 5 (Graham, Tate, Mathews, Weatherspoon and Pouncey) could drop to us because other teams will gamble on the over-hyped or either way talent.  Of the 5 from the star list, I think Pouncey is the safest bet and best fit for us.  I would not be upset with any of them however, including Weatherspoon who I think we don't need based on our current roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

First Go Round, #22 WR Demaryius Thomas- We need a WR and after watching all the tape I can find this guys size and speed combo is impressive. Due to his injury alot of people have him lower but come draft time he will be slotted mid-late first. Affraid of the bust factor on WR's drafted early but if we want the upside we need to take the risk. Could be special. #45 Tyson Alualu- Best DL avail. He is a hard nosed player who doesn't quit and can collapse a pocket. The type of guy we need to open up holes for are edge rushers and ILB's to step up and make plays. #48 Ben Tate- This guy is fast and doesn't mess around. He can get around the edge but also heads right up the middle with no hesitation. His awareness seems to be very acute with good lateral moves, doesn't lose speed when cutting. faster than Gerhart and stronger than Hardesty. #53 Anthony McCoy- TE nobody is talking about, he is a great blocker and is also very effective in the passing game. Has the size BB will want, durable, strong player. Good chance to be one of the best dual role TE's out there. Good fit for our play style. reminds me a little of old Ben Coates.
    Posted by Asher77

I can't argue much with your choices.  D. Thomas is getting a lot of hype lately and many have him as their #2 WR ahead of Golden Tate.  It's well known that I love him.  Taking him at #22 today seems a bit high but he could go there.  If we were to go play maker at #22 I'd probably take Gresham instead based on need or Best based on big play ability but you won't get much of an argument from me on Thomas either.  I think he's Randy Moss lite.

Alualu is a solid choice at 45 and fills a need.  BB loves to draft from the lines out, so good call.  I think he has sufficient size to play 34 DE.  Typically we'd like 6-4, 300 but he's close.

Ben Tate is a 3-4 rounder on my board.  Although he is faster than Gerhart and Hardesty and had solid production his senior year I was looking for a bit of a bigger more bruising back so we can cut Taylor and/or Morris and pick up that tough yard.  A big back allows us to cut both players and save a roster spot which should be HUGE for BB.  Tate is too similar in stature to Maroney but has better hands.  Gerhart would be my choice here.  Don't get me wrong, I like the kid but I see him more as an option in the 4th if we pass on RB and he's still there.

I don't like Anthony McCoy.  He's primarily a blocker and had very little production in the passing game.  His career numbers are 46 catches for 731 yards and one touchdown.  I'd rather select a dynamic receiving TE early and pick up a blocker late in the draft.

Good post though.  You're the first person I've seen bold enough to move Thomas up to 22.  I've thought about it, trust me.  That's how crazy I am about his potential.  What stopped me from suggesting it is BB has never drafted a WR in the first round.  He's only drafted 7 total.  2 of the 3 that he took in the 2nd round were busts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

So to sum it up, if Thomas had a legit #2 receiver opposite him and a QB like Clausen ( like Tate had, though I like Tate ) what kind of monster stats could you have expected from him? Throw the kid some balls, let him work on his route running, let him not block for once lol, and give him an accurate pass.
    Posted by Asher77

Forget if he had Clausen, what if he had Brady!!??  With teams doubling Moss all over the field, Thomas should be matched up 1 on 1 on the opposite side.  He could potentially catch 50 balls his rookie year which is virtually unheard of for a #3 WR.  Moss then leaves after 2010 and this kid takes over as #1.  That's how I see it.  The question is will he last until #45?  I doubt it and I think #22 is too high and risky.  We'd have to move out of #22 to the early 30s to get him at the right place, IMO.  But by draft day, if Thomas moves past Golden, #22 could be the right spot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Faucetman- In 3-4 mock drafts I moniter Maurkice Pouncey,goes to the Colts 1st pick at 31and Golden Tate to the Jests in round one.
    Posted by dwhite1220

I think so too.  Jeff Saturday is long in the tooth.  He'll turn 35 before the season.  The Colts value protecting their star QB.  Pouncey would be an obvious choice for them not only because of need but because Pouncey while not a sexy pick, is a smart pick.  He is as sure a bet as there is in the draft at his position.  He can play either guard spot too and the Colts are thin at Guard.  I could see them starting Pouncey there then moving him to C once Saturday hangs it up.  I would hate to see them get him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I'll tell you what, we need some play makers on offense. Best would be tempting, he's got rare skills that would scare the crap out of most teams, but the concussions scare me. We sure could take a chance on a play maker, with 3 second round picks and a draft pretty deep, it makes sense. Iv'e been studying the outside tweener guys and aside from Graham you could lump ten of them together that could go anywhere from 22 to the 5th round.
    Posted by mthurl

I've seen one board that rank Best ahead of Spiller.  I'm not ready to do that but I do think Best is every bit as explosive.  I think Mathews is a safer pick but I think he goes to Houston at 20.  For me the choices at #22 for play makers are:  Jahvid Best, Golden Tate, Demaryius Thomas and Jermaine Gresham.  Of them Best has the most explosive potential.  The concussions are a worry.  If we were to take Best, I'd use him much as the way we use Faulk as a third down specialist.  I wouldn't try to run him much between the tackles.  I'd try to get him in space with swing and screen passes, reverses and draws.  With Faulk back for another year, I just don't see us taking Best.  I do think he will be a game changer for someone though.

BB has never drafted a WR in the first round.  He has only taken 3 WRs in the 2nd and 2 of them were busts.  WR is the position most drafted in the first round, 43 taken in the decade yet BB has bucked the trend.  This could be the year with Golden Tate (mb's choice) or Demaryius Thomas.  Both for me are sure #1 WRs after Moss leaves with Tate the most versatile.  He has done it all at ND. 

Tate started all 12 games, setting school single-season records for receptions (93), yards receiving (1,496), yards receiving per game (124.67) and tied the Irish mark with 15 touchdown grabs. Proving to be a dangerous threat any time he touched the ball, he rushed 25 times for 186 yards (7.44 -yard average) and a pair of scores. He added 171 yards with a touchdown on 12 punt returns and had three kickoff returns for 62 yards, as his 1,915 all-purpose yards rank second on the Notre Dame season-record chart.

However, he has taken 2 TE in the first round.  Given we don't have a single TE to mention (Rob Myers, Robbie Agnone), the key word being none; a legitimate case can be made for Gresham, everyone's top rated TE.

At 6-5, 261, 4.71 Gresham is a huge target.  I worry less about his knee injury than I do about Gronkowski's back.  Gresham appears healthy and has worked hard to improve his hands.  Still, I grade Gresham as an early 2nd/late first talent.  I'd rather go get a Pitta or Hernandez at 53.  Both would be as good or not better in the passing game although not as solid as blockers.

Having said all that, I think we'll draft Odrick, Graham or Pouncey.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Forget if he had Clausen, what if he had Brady!!??  With teams doubling Moss all over the field, Thomas should be matched up 1 on 1 on the opposite side.  He could potentially catch 50 balls his rookie year which is virtually unheard of for a #3 WR.  Moss then leaves after 2010 and this kid takes over as #1.  That's how I see it.  The question is will he last until #45?  I doubt it and I think #22 is too high and risky.  We'd have to move out of #22 to the early 30s to get him at the right place, IMO.  But by draft day, if Thomas moves past Golden, #22 could be the right spot.
    Posted by Faucetman

Most personell people think wr is the hardest position to evaluate. For me I personally am scared to death when watching some of these guys because I can't really see much of the play (unless you have coaches film, which I don't). I can see that Thomas is big and athletic, but he does'nt look  that quick and who knows if he could play in this offense. We know Brady won't even look your way if you can't make the right sight adjustments. No doubt Thomas's QB left him waiting for the ball on several occasions, but I'm a little skeptical of guys like him in offenses like his (burned by Chad Jackson).

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

I'm staying with my mock of last week,mostly need picks
    #22 Jared Odrick,DE,Penn State
    #44 Jerry Hughes, OLB,TCU
    #47 Demaryius Thomas, WR,GA Tech  or TE
    #53 Toby Gerhart, LeGarrette Blount or Ben Tate, RB
    #117best available TE

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Updated Mock Draft -
    # 22 Jared Odrick DE 6'5" 304 Penn State- Will replace RS and will bring a pass rush from the DE side, if he's not here Kyle Wilson or Brandon Graham.
    # 44 Jerry Hughes OLB 6'2" 255 TCU - Although I'm not completely sold on him he is been projected as the least high risk pick.
    # 48 Amari Spievey CB 5'11" 195 Iowa - Solid CB from Iowa, extremely well coached.  Will make a play to play opposite Bodden or as #3. 
    # 53 Toby Gerhart RB 6'0" 230 Stanford - will be the #1 back from day one
    4th rnd Tony Moeaki TE 6'3" 245 Iowa - Great catching TE for TB to throw to, will create matchups.
    6th rnd Michael Hoomanawanui TE 6'4" 264 Illinois - Good blocker who can also catch the ball
    7th rnd Scott Long WR 6'2" 216 Louisville - Good hands good speed, showed well at combine so a 7th for him might be not realistic anymore. 
    7th rnd Casey Knips OT 6'7" 308 South Dakota State - Will sit learn this year and compete to start at RT in 2011.

Sections
Shortcuts