2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Now you're talking.  I love this scenario.  The wild card in this is Burgess.  BB must have seen something in him to give up a 3rd and 5th.  He obviously got off to a slow start then finished strong with 3 sacks in the final 4 games.  Nobody seems to be going after him so if we resign him I would take that as a sign that BB thinks he's ready.  It takes a lot of players time to adjust to our complex defense.  So, if Burgess stays we have TBC, Burgess, Crable, Woods and Guyton who in a pinch can play outside.  Not great certainly but if we took Odrick or Williams at 22 our DL will be better than last year.  If Spikes by some miracle slips to 45, I take him instead of TE there.  This would really solidify the middle of our defense.  I would then take a TE at 53.  Hernandez, Dickson, Pitta should be there so take Gerhart at 48 to avoid risking losing him.  I'm really inclined to consider Jimmy Graham too.  I know he hasn't done much and is raw but the potential is so huge that he could be the best TE in the NFL in 3 years.  There is depth at WR so in the 4th I look to take Roberts, Decker, Cooper, Jeremy Williams - one of them should be there.  It must sound like I want to tweak your draft but heck  no, just laying out more options.  If the draft unfolded the way your selected it, I'd be doing cartwheels.  Early on I had LaFell as an option at #22.  Now we are talking about him at 48.  He's a big talented WR, just has slow straight line speed.
    Posted by Faucetman

If Spikes is there at 44 it would be a miracle and I don't think the Pats pass on him.  Having him mayo and mckenzie would be a great core of LBs, agree with the DL if we pickup a DE that has the ability to rush like odrick or alualu it will give give LBs a chance to rush and get to the QB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Time for a new mock.  It's looking like the Pats are really going to use the Draft to fill needs.  Besides Marquise Murrel, they haven't signed a FA from another team. Therefore, I see the draft playing out like this: #22 Jared Odrick-DL-Penn State #44 Jerry Hughes-DE/OLB-TCU #48 Brandon LaFell-WR-LSU #53 Toby Gerhart-HB-Stanford #117 Jimmy Graham-TE-Miami Rd 6 Scott Long-WR-Louisville Rd 7 Nate Byham-TE-Pittsburgh Rd 7 Casey Knips-OT-South Dakota Please comment
    Posted by titletownfan

OMG, I would be elated.  You plugged every hole with all of my favorites.  Could it be too good to be true, probably, but this shows that we are heading for a solid draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Fauce- nobody on this board likes LeGarrette Blount but me! I think if Toby Gerhart is gone, we pick Blount.........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Fauce- nobody on this board likes LeGarrette Blount but me! I think if Toby Gerhart is gone, we pick Blount.........
    Posted by dwhite1220

dwhite I like blount but not until the 4th, if Gerhart is gone I would take Tate at 53.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Pitta to work out for the Pat's:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Pitta-to-work-out-for-New-England.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MALIK617. Show MALIK617's posts

BILL BELICHECK IS NOT KEEPIN THIS PICK! HE IS GOIN TO TRADE DOWN TO GET AT LEAST 2 MORE PICKS AND BY THE TIME HES DONE, HE'LL HAVE LIKE 8 PICKS IN THE FIRST 3 ROUNDS AND ANOTHER 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK FOR NEXT YEAR-WAIT AND SEE!!! THE ONLY WAY HE KEEPS THIS PICK IS IF SOME1 FALLS THRU FROM THE TOP 10!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

There are like 4-7 players that keep coming up in this post for 22...Odrick, Graham, Hughes, Pouncey, Williams, Tate, Gresham. 

If we look at value & need, all of the above fit with the exception of Williams. (Not that we don't need Williams, it's just we have VW, Warren, Pryor, Brace, Wright, etc....)If we then take the remainder, and look at profile/skill-set/physical attributes, all fit except Graham, Hughes. 

That leaves us with Odrick, Pouncey, Tate & Gresham. 

Given the Pats history, they've never been shy of drafting a TE in round 1, nor a DE/DL, or OL. they have never drafted a WR in round 1...not to say they wouldn't, but I think that takes Tate off the board. Tate's good, but I don't think the Pats have him at 22. 

With that, I think the picks to consider at 22 are Odrick, Pouncey or Gresham. 

I think these are the ones to watch in round 1 at 22. All fit Pats needs, all good/decent value picks, all fit skill-set/profile/physical attributes prototypcial to their position, and also what the pats covet at those positions. 

If I had to choose between Odrick, Pouncey & Gresham, I think I am going with Gresham. I like everything about him, and I think the total package (pass catching, blocking ability)...I think this is especially important given the pats lack of receiving threats going into next year. Gresham could be a big part of the offense. Prior to his injury, he put up WR numbers his Junior season at OU...66 catches, 950 yards, 14 TD's. That's production. 

I think our DE/DL, OLB can be had in round 2, and our WR, OL, later in the draft.

Therefore..in Round 2, I'm going with;

2a - Spikes/Alualu (Spikes here, if not Alualu)
    2b - Spikes/Misi (If not Spikes at 2a and we take Alualu, then take Misi here)
    2c - Gerhart

Thoughts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BILL BELICHECK IS NOT KEEPIN THIS PICK! HE IS GOIN TO TRADE DOWN TO GET AT LEAST 2 MORE PICKS AND BY THE TIME HES DONE, HE'LL HAVE LIKE 8 PICKS IN THE FIRST 3 ROUNDS AND ANOTHER 1ST ROUND DRAFT PICK FOR NEXT YEAR-WAIT AND SEE!!! THE ONLY WAY HE KEEPS THIS PICK IS IF SOME1 FALLS THRU FROM THE TOP 10!
    Posted by MALIK617

We've discussed this option multiple times on this thread and it's certainly a realistic option.  The hard part is determining who the trade partner will be due to the assumed depth in this class, with Oakland the lead candidate due to their trade history.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Updated mock with some different names, though they make sense from a size/speed/intelligence/leadership/intangible/skill set standpoint:

22- WR Golden Tate 5-10 199 ND- He’ll be the new #2 and future #1.

45- TE Aaron Hernandez 6-2 245 Florida-  He’s a versatile offensive weapon with Dallas Clark like talent/skills.

48- RB Toby Gerhart 6-0 231 Stanford- The new clock killer and future fan favorite.

53- DE Alex Carrington 6-5 285 Arkansas State- Has the height and length that BB loves in his DE’s with the frame to add more.  He’s very athletic with the ability to rush passer and be stout at the POA vs. the run. 

117- S Myron Rolle 6-2 215 Florida State- Way off the radar pick here but BB loves intelligent players, why not go after the most intelligent player in recent memory.  He can play too and will replace McGowan.

181- TE Michael Hoomanawanui 6-4 264 Illinois- He’s a pure inline mauler and a nice compliment to Hernandez.

214- OLB George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers- Vocal leader, great motor and work ethic and has the ability to get after the QB, will convert from DE.

216- OLB Daniel Te’o-Nesheim 6-3 263 Washington- Ultra productive edge player that can get after the QB and make plays behind the LOS.  Another high effort type that will convert from DE.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Toby the Great scores a 30 on the Wonderlic:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Gerhart-posts-top-RB-Wonderlic-score.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Toby is a must IMO, he would make us better as soon as he walks into town. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Toby is a must IMO, he would make us better as soon as he walks into town. 
    Posted by Pats7393

i disagree. respectfully of course.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

I watched the clips of Odrick and Alaulu and to me it is night and day. Odrick looks awful and alaudu looks great

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : i disagree. respectfully of course.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

As long as it is respectfully lol, actually I think why this thread has been so popular. Nothing but football guys sharing their views without trolls busting on anyone's personal opinion.

But Fowler by draft day you will be turned and will agree haha. What he brings to the team is too hard to pass up.  Toughness, youth, between the tackles bulldozer and the list goes on and on. 

you on board yet?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Posted by dwhite1220

dwhite,

I was one of the first to talk about Blount as a 4th round bargain because of his character.  I am impressed with his style of tough nosed running.  I went back and reviewed the tape of the punching incident.  As bad as it was, I thought the gestures towards the stands were worse. 

Look, I think everyone deserves a second chance.  It's not like Blount was hosting dog fights at his house or playing pedestrian slalom with his Benz, or driving his car into a dorm or getting smashed and passing out at an intersection.  He got carried away in the heat of battle with a trash talking DB.  Still, in the second round with a lot at stake and our need to get back to being a solid character team, I'd rather go Gerhart, Hardesty then Tate over Blount.  If we pass on a RB completely and Blount is there in the 4th I'd take him and put all kinds of character related safe guards in his contract.  He's going to be successful in the NFL if he works hard, plays with a chip on his shoulder but with a little remorse and humility.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

There are like 4-7 players that keep coming up in this post for 22...Odrick, Graham, Hughes, Pouncey, Williams, Tate, Gresham.  If we look at value & need, all of the above fit with the exception of Williams. (Not that we don't need Williams, it's just we have VW, Warren, Pryor, Brace, Wright, etc....)If we then take the remainder, and look at profile/skill-set/physical attributes, all fit except Graham, Hughes.  That leaves us with Odrick, Pouncey, Tate & Gresham.  Given the Pats history, they've never been shy of drafting a TE in round 1, nor a DE/DL, or OL. they have never drafted a WR in round 1...not to say they wouldn't, but I think that takes Tate off the board. Tate's good, but I don't think the Pats have him at 22.  With that, I think the picks to consider at 22 are Odrick, Pouncey or Gresham.  I think these are the ones to watch in round 1 at 22. All fit Pats needs, all good/decent value picks, all fit skill-set/profile/physical attributes prototypcial to their position, and also what the pats covet at those positions.  If I had to choose between Odrick, Pouncey & Gresham, I think I am going with Gresham. I like everything about him, and I think the total package (pass catching, blocking ability)...I think this is especially important given the pats lack of receiving threats going into next year. Gresham could be a big part of the offense. Prior to his injury, he put up WR numbers his Junior season at OU...66 catches, 950 yards, 14 TD's. That's production.  I think our DE/DL, OLB can be had in round 2, and our WR, OL, later in the draft. Therefore..in Round 2, I'm going with; 2a - Spikes/Alualu (Spikes here, if not Alualu) 2b - Spikes/Misi (If not Spikes at 2a and we take Alualu, then take Misi here) 2c - Gerhart Thoughts?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Hard to argue with the logic.  But, I'd add Jahvid Best to the list for consideration.  BB has taken a RB this high (Maroney) before and the need is there.  In the end analysis, I agree that it will come down to Odrick, Pouncey and Gresham.  I've argued that the smart play is Pouncey but I can't argue against history and higher need making Gresham the smarter choice.  He is a very good blocker so his addition will have the double benefit of helping in the run game.

Let's also add Demaryius Thomas, Spikes and Hughes to the list for consideration.  They should all be there, Thomas and Hughes are both climbing up draft boards.

The cool thing is there isn't a lot of better talent at 22 than there is at 45.  It's almost like considering 22 as another 2nd.  This makes 22 excellent trade bait if there is a team targeting a certain player.  But with the depth, why give up a pick.  I would make a call to TB though.  They have a pair of 2nds to go along with their high first.  Maybe we take their 35 for our 22 and their 2nd next year.  They can then perhaps target one of the top OTs left and get their receiver at 42.  For us, we can take Spikes or Gresham at 35 and we've added a second next year.  For 2011, we'd have a pair of 1st, a pair of 2nds, a 3rd and perhaps a pair of 4ths since we should be getting comp picks for Green and Watson.  Maybe not a 4th but a pair of 6ths. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Updated mock with some different names, though they make sense from a size/speed/intelligence/leadership/intangible/skill set standpoint:   22- WR Golden Tate 5-10 199 ND - He’ll be the new #2 and future #1.   45- TE Aaron Hernandez 6-2 245 Florida -   He’s a versatile offensive weapon with Dallas Clark like talent/skills.   48- RB Toby Gerhart 6-0 231 Stanford - The new clock killer and future fan favorite.   53- DE Alex Carrington 6-5 285 Arkansas State - Has the height and length that BB loves in his DE’s with the frame to add more.   He’s very athletic with the ability to rush passer and be stout at the POA vs. the run.     117- S Myron Rolle 6-2 215 Florida State - Way off the radar pick here but BB loves intelligent players, why not go after the most intelligent player in recent memory.   He can play too and will replace McGowan.   181- TE Michael Hoomanawanui 6-4 264 Illinois - He’s a pure inline mauler and a nice compliment to Hernandez.   214- OLB George Johnson 6-4 265 Rutgers - Vocal leader, great motor and work ethic and has the ability to get after the QB, will convert from DE.   216- OLB Daniel Te’o-Nesheim 6-3 263 Washington - Ultra productive edge player that can get after the QB and make plays behind the LOS.   Another high effort type that will convert from DE.    
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Congrats, you worked your man into #22.  Well done.  I like the idea of taking a flyer on a pair of DE conversion types at the end, throw them up there and hope one will stick.  I think we can start adding at least one more 7th since we are sure to get a comp pick for Gaffney and or Evans.  We have an outside shot at a 6th for Gaffney which would be almost like having another 4th most years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I would have to say I am leaning toward the pick being Pouncey, not just because I have liked him long before he rose to 1st rd status, but because I think he is the guy that fits what this team likes, has the lowest bust chances, and is the most ready to jump in on day 1.  There are other TE's that we can grab that are in that skill range.  OLB wise, I want one badly, maybe even 2, but I fear BB wont deal with the lack of height.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : As long as it is respectfully lol, actually I think why this thread has been so popular. Nothing but football guys sharing their views without trolls busting on anyone's personal opinion. But Fowler by draft day you will be turned and will agree haha. What he brings to the team is too hard to pass up.  Toughness, youth, between the tackles bulldozer and the list goes on and on.  you on board yet?
    Posted by Pats7393

haha all good points but there are a few guys like that this year. when i said i disagreed i meant that it didnt HAVE to be gerhart.  im not saying i wouldnt love to have him, but hes not a necessity in my eyes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Mord,

Welcome aboard the Pouncey train.  He's such as stud and at age 20, he'll be playing after I'm dead and buried.  The youth movement has to start somewhere.  I think we started it a bit last year with Vollmer but with Neal getting up there and often injured and Mankins in an uncertain future contractually the time is right to bring in a young OG.  I'd like Pouncey compete with Koppen, he might beat him out as a rookie.  Or, if we draft Pouncey, Koppen becomes instant trade bait.  Maybe we can pry a 4th or 5th out of somebody for him.  We still have Connolly as a back up Center/Guard so why not?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I posted a mock yesterday but I'm questioning it and think there might be something about other years and OLBs.  So maybe we don't grad that OLB in the second and use those to sure up two key positions in offense and one on D.

So here's the my mock which is a very different one than what I've posted before:
    #22 Demaryius Thomas WR 6'3" 224 Georgia Tech- I think I surprised myself with this one, the guy is big strong physical WR.  He has been compared to Calvin Johnson which is saying a lot.  He will need to learn routes and get better at them but inside the 20 him and Moss would be a nightmare.
    #44 Rob Gronkowski TE 6'6" 264 Arizona - A very good TE, can block or catch.  He will be able to take some of the burden off Edelman by catching some passes in the middle. 
    #48 Tyson Alualu DE 6'3" 295 Cal- Day one starter on the weakside, will provide a pass rusher as well as stopping the run.  High motor, no stopping motor actually and has played in 34 style d in college. 
    #53 Toby Gerhart RB 6'0" 230 Stanford- Week 1 starting RB.
    #117 Jared Veldheer OT 6'8" 312 Hillsdale- Need to find the RT of the future, tons of upside will benefit from sitting a year and learning from a great OL coaching staff.
    #181 Daniel Te'o-Nesheim OLB 6'4" 264 Washington- Although not one of the big names has the ability to play in a 34.  Ran mid 4.6s so BB might give him a look.
    7th Rnd Brandon Sharpe OLB 6'2" 252 Texas Tech - Had 15 sacks in 2009, will be able to rush. 
    7th Rnd Sam Shields WR/CB/PR- Played WR for three years before moving to CB, has great speed, versatile player who can line up on both sides.  Raw CB but showed promised in the position at worse he's a good slot receiver and PR.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Congrats, you worked your man into #22.  Well done.  I like the idea of taking a flyer on a pair of DE conversion types at the end, throw them up there and hope one will stick.  I think we can start adding at least one more 7th since we are sure to get a comp pick for Gaffney and or Evans.  We have an outside shot at a 6th for Gaffney which would be almost like having another 4th most years.
    Posted by Faucetman

Thanks man. 

Yeah, that's my thought at OLB.  If you can't find a guy that matches what you like high, wait until one (or two etc) becomes available later.  I also wouldn't be suprised to see them move on a Misi or Cunningham or Lane or Witten etc between rounds 2 and 4.

I think the comp picks should we awarded fairly shortly, correct?  I believe they were announced towards the end of March last year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I posted a mock yesterday but I'm questioning it and think there might be something about other years and OLBs.  So maybe we don't grad that OLB in the second and use those to sure up two key positions in offense and one on D. So here's the my mock which is a very different one than what I've posted before: #22 Demaryius Thomas WR 6'3" 224 Georgia Tech - I think I surprised myself with this one, the guy is big strong physical WR.  He has been compared to Calvin Johnson which is saying a lot.  He will need to learn routes and get better at them but inside the 20 him and Moss would be a nightmare. #44 Rob Gronkowski TE 6'6" 264 Arizona - A very good TE, can block or catch.  He will be able to take some of the burden off Edelman by catching some passes in the middle.  #48 Tyson Alualu DE 6'3" 295 Cal - Day one starter on the weakside, will provide a pass rusher as well as stopping the run.  High motor, no stopping motor actually and has played in 34 style d in college.  #53 Toby Gerhart RB 6'0" 230 Stanford - Week 1 starting RB. #117 Jared Veldheer OT 6'8" 312 Hillsdale - Need to find the RT of the future, tons of upside will benefit from sitting a year and learning from a great OL coaching staff. #181 Daniel Te'o-Nesheim OLB 6'4" 264 Washington - Although not one of the big names has the ability to play in a 34.  Ran mid 4.6s so BB might give him a look. 7th Rnd Brandon Sharpe OLB 6'2" 252 Texas Tech - Had 15 sacks in 2009, will be able to rush.  7th Rnd Sam Shields WR/CB/PR - Played WR for three years before moving to CB, has great speed, versatile player who can line up on both sides.  Raw CB but showed promised in the position at worse he's a good slot receiver and PR.
    Posted by Pats7393

Kid also ran a 6.91 3-cone which was 2nd amongst DL (faster than Hughes, Misi, Worilds, Morgan) and would've been tied for 6th amongst LB's.  He also put up the 3rd fastest time for DL in the short shuttle (4.18) which would have put him 5th amongst LB's (slightly slower than Hughes, but faster than Misi and Worilds) so he appears to have the good short area quickness, lateral agility and explosion that BB prefers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Kid also ran a 6.91 3-cone which was 2nd amongst DL (faster than Hughes, Misi, Worilds, Morgan) and would've been tied for 6th amongst LB's.  He also put up the 3 fastest time for DL in the short shuttle (4.18) which would have put him 5th amongst LB's (slightly slower than Hughes, but faster than Misi and Worilds) so he appears to have the good short area quickness, lateral agility and explosion that BB prefers.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Nice find. Couldn't find any good tape on him, but everything I read made him out to be a high effort player. The surprising thing is he has the stats, size, and workout numbers to warrant a rise up the draft boards. Wonder if Bill has his eye on him? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Mord, Welcome aboard the Pouncey train.  He's such as stud and at age 20, he'll be playing after I'm dead and buried.  The youth movement has to start somewhere.  I think we started it a bit last year with Vollmer but with Neal getting up there and often injured and Mankins in an uncertain future contractually the time is right to bring in a young OG.  I'd like Pouncey compete with Koppen, he might beat him out as a rookie.  Or, if we draft Pouncey, Koppen becomes instant trade bait.  Maybe we can pry a 4th or 5th out of somebody for him.  We still have Connolly as a back up Center/Guard so why not?
    Posted by Faucetman

Faucet, if u look back a thousand or so posts back, I was engineering the Pouncey train and brought him into this discussion.  Back when Lupati was the flavor of the fandom.