2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    There have lots of interesting debates about the meirts and flaws about many players in this super-long thread.  But there should no bebate about our greatest need being pass-rush.  This need has not been addressed through free-agency.  It was so frustrating to see that Chad Henne passed 50 times against us. The pass rush can come from OLB and DL of course.  Whichever conversion OLB guy we take, it is going to take a year or two from him to develop.  How can we improve our pass-rush from the draft for the coming season?  Obviously we can't get Suh or McCoy.  This only solution reasonable that I can find is to gamble on Carlos Dunlap.  Any other idea to draft pass-rushers with immediate impact for the upcoming season?  If we can't greatly improve our pass-rush, another year of Brady's prime will be wasted without a SuperBowl. We have won Super Bowls with the likes of Antoin Smith, Pattern, Wiggings and Troy Brown.  Once the defense aged, we could not get back even as Brady and Co have been more leathal.
    Posted by TrustBill

Nice theory. DL has more value and you don't have to project them as far, however I'm not a fan of Carlos Dunlap. It's almost because this guy is 6'7" he is being projected high. He is sluggish, stands straight up, gets blown off the ball, lazy, not real powerful, has off field issues, not real explosive, and doesn't look like he has picked up a weight his entire life. I think you would be taking a risk and long term project (headache) with him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

what about Rennie Curran hes an absolute beast, yet he is a bit undersized, but so is Elvis Dumervil i really would love for the pats to use a 4th on Rennie, hes a great player
    Posted by Gulo

Gulo,
    He was a good player at Georgia but I don't see that he fits what NE likes in their LB's.  They won't draft a 5-11 235 3-4 edge guy and he has marginal size at best as a 3-4 ILB and it's really unknown how he'd perform or hold up at the POA vs. C/OG/FB's etc. 

I think he projects as a prototypical 4-3 OLB where he can use his speed and athleticism to work his zone in man coverage and chase down plays all over the field.

Dumervil came out of Louiville as a 6-0 257 DE that was accustomed to rushing the passer and had 32 sacks (17 as a Senior) and 42 TFL in his career so I don't see him as a similar comparison.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

BYU FB Manase Tonga to work out for the Pat's:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Patriots-work-out-Manase-Tonga.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, Thanks. I like Gresham at 22 for a variety of reasons, one of which is we need production out of that position given;  1. We have no TE's on the current roster worth mentioning 2. Our receiving corps is thin at best, with unproven BTate, 2nd year Edelman and Moss when he wants to show up or isn't hurt.  So, the TE position I think in addition to being a solid blocker, we need someone that can catch. I simply think Gresham is heads and shoulders above the other TE's in the draft. I do like some of the other mentions here..Gronkowski, Hernandez, etc...I just think Gresham is has all the physical attributes and is polished. I was really battling here between Gresham and Odrick. After watching more tape on Alualu and comparing it to Odrick, I really like Alualu. I think Alualu can be had in round 2, therefore I passed on Odrick in 1 to take Gresham. Pouncey decision was a bit more difficult, but I think we can pick up a solid OL in round 4-6, perhaps someoen like Valdheer or the plethora of others listed in this post.  In round 2, I would really like to see Alualu, Spikes, Gerhardt, DThomas, Misi, and a few others...I know we only have 3, so my top 3 again are; Alualu Misi Gerhardt In that order. IF Spikes is still on the board at our 2b pick, I'm taking him, and possibly waiting until later rounds to draft a RB like Hardesty,Tate or someone else. I don't mind going all D in round 2, with Alualu, SPikes, Misi, but I think that is a pipedream...no way all these guys are hanging around for our picks.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer,

I would have no problems with the Gresham pick.  Pouncey is not a NEED pick at this point.  He is a safe pick.  Alualu is growing on me too.  The latest rumor buzzing around the elite media is that the Pats are interested in Kindle.  Let's just say for instance that this rumor is true and Kindle is our pick at #22.  The Pats hopefully have done their home work and Kindle turns out to be a solid pick, good in coverage, can set the edge and rush the passer.  That would be great IF he can be that good for us.  Then let's say Spikes slips a whisker more and is there at 45.  Then let's say Alualu is there at 48.  Can you imagine how much better our rush defense would become?  Imagine that we are now getting all kinds of pressure on the QB and the DBs do their job.  Our defense would be set with young guys for the next 5-6 years.

Then we turn our attention to offense.  We could still land a Gerhart at 53 or Pitta who the Pats seem interested in.  There are some solid WR options to be had in the fourth like Roberts, Decker and J. Williams.  If we fix the D this year, next year needs to be all about offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Lifer, I would have no problems with the Gresham pick.  Pouncey is not a NEED pick at this point.  He is a safe pick.  Alualu is growing on me too.  The latest rumor buzzing around the elite media is that the Pats are interested in Kindle.  Let's just say for instance that this rumor is true and Kindle is our pick at #22.  The Pats hopefully have done their home work and Kindle turns out to be a solid pick, good in coverage, can set the edge and rush the passer.  That would be great IF he can be that good for us.  Then let's say Spikes slips a whisker more and is there at 45.  Then let's say Alualu is there at 48.  Can you imagine how much better our rush defense would become?  Imagine that we are now getting all kinds of pressure on the QB and the DBs do their job.  Our defense would be set with young guys for the next 5-6 years. Then we turn our attention to offense.  We could still land a Gerhart at 53 or Pitta who the Pats seem interested in.  There are some solid WR options to be had in the fourth like Roberts, Decker and J. Williams.  If we fix the D this year, next year needs to be all about offense.
    Posted by Faucetman
    The best thing the Patriots can do is open a dialogue with every player they can because there are going to be a boatload of potential NFL players who will be UDFA's who will be available after this years draft. When doing a brief count of available WR's in the first 250 player eligible in this years draft I came up with 28 solid players and I know for a fact I missed an additional 15 really good WR's. I was going to project players beyond 250 but I want to wait and see the final projected list. The Patriots will wind up with 4 compensatory picks this year,and according to PFW most of them will be the 7th round variety with maybe one in either the 5th or 6th round. That would give the Patriots no less than 5 picks in the 7th round. So everything that drops falls to the Patriots. If those projected comp picks are correct the Patriots will have 12 draft choices this year,the more the merrier!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

I too have to say that most of the contributors have really done their homework. I am only  a casual reader of  the draft tout sheets .

that being said I am now in favor of the Mouncey pick in round 1

I have to ask why is Corey Wooten  DE Northwestern not a consideration for a second round consideration? He appearrs to have Seymour size and speed. He must  be smart ... Northwestern!

Also I really think Jimmy Graham TE miami at 6ft 7 in  would fill the bill at TE ( do we have any TEs?)..would he be available with our 4th and is he worth the  53rd , the best ive seen him rated is 81.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Hold one...I just learned something interesting about Gresham that is going to impact my number 22 selection....apparently, this is the 2nd time he tore his ACL..once back in 2005, and then again last year. Not sure if it is the same knee, but 2 ACL injuries can't be good....did you guys know about this?
    Posted by PatsLifer
    I like Gresham also but I really think the TE's the Patriots will try and snag is Tony Moeaki,Colin Peek or Hernandez they all played at tree schools. The injury to Gresham's knee is the same knee so you are correct when you say that can't be good.Unfortunately for BB and the Patriots there are now 4 teams using the same good ole boy network the Phins,Browns,Chiefs and Broncos and maybe even a 5th team with Pete Carroll up in Seattle..Lot of competition for the same talent pool. Though Gresham,Graham and Gronkowski are the tallest TE's it won't mean a thing if they can't perform,and 2 out of 3 have injury histories...Another TE Pitta and the kid from Penn State Quarless could be good value picks in the 4th and 6th rounds if available.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I too have to say that most of the contributors have really done their homework. I am only  a casual reader of  the draft tout sheets . that being said I am now in favor of the Mouncey pick in round 1 I have to ask why is Corey Wooten  DE Northwestern not a consideration for a second round consideration? He appearrs to have Seymour size and speed. He must  be smart ... Northwestern! Also I really think Jimmy Graham TE miami at 6ft 7 in  would fill the bill at TE ( do we have any TEs?)..would he be available with our 4th and is he worth the  53rd , the best ive seen him rated is 81.
    Posted by mgraham
    I'm sure that the guys you are mentioning are on BB's draft board somewheres,as for the knowledge displayed here on this board you can tell where the true passion is amongst sports fans of New England,and with the advent of the internet we have all increased or own capacities for obtaining information. I believe the guy you want the Patriots to take in the first round is Maurkice Pouncey the C-G from Florida as for Graham and Wooten they are liked but to what degree and not just by us fans but more importantly by BB and his crew...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I saw Wootten listed at 270, which is a little light for a 3-4 DE in Seymour's place. From watching some clips he also looks a little stiff, which can be expected for a guy that's 6'-6". Seymour moves extremely well for such a tall and big guy. 

I agree that Pouncey seems like a very safe pick, and I'm one that thinks Koppen kills at least 2-3 plays a game when he gets blown off the ball. I think a more stout player would help the interior run game. 

That being said I'm not backing down from B Graham at 22 (or trading up to get him). He just seems like a special pass rusher, and that's what the Pats need the most. LB is a more risky pick than OL, but you can find a center later in the draft that could be an adequate starter. 

I like Faucet's draft, but replace Kindle with Graham. There's no way they get Graham, Spikes, Alualu with their first three picks though. I would be thrilled with those picks.

And I know I know...Graham's too short. Belichick always does the unexpected, so I'm hoping he does the unexpected and picks Graham?

I too have to say that most of the contributors have really done their homework. I am only  a casual reader of  the draft tout sheets . that being said I am now in favor of the Mouncey pick in round 1 I have to ask why is Corey Wooten  DE Northwestern not a consideration for a second round consideration? He appearrs to have Seymour size and speed. He must  be smart ... Northwestern! Also I really think Jimmy Graham TE miami at 6ft 7 in  would fill the bill at TE ( do we have any TEs?)..would he be available with our 4th and is he worth the  53rd , the best ive seen him rated is 81.
    Posted by mgraham

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

if we got Gresham, Spikes, Alualu and Gerhart I would be more than thrilled...I can realistically see Gresham, ALualu and Gerhart, but don't think like you said, SPikes will slip to us at 45. But, what happens if we reversed the order a bit...say take Spikes at 22, and then Gresham with our 2a/2b?....could you see Gresham falling farther than Spikes based on teams picking in late first/early 2nd?

So, it might be like this...
    1 -Spikes
    2a - Gresham
    2b - Alualu
    2c - WR?/OL?/OLB Misi
    4th - Decker
    5th (trade back into) - BTate

Assuming the above happened in some form, I would then pick up Decker or another WR in Round 4, trade some of my 7th's/6ths to jump back into 5, and pick up Ben Tate if I did not get Gerhart in round 2. Personally, I although I like Gerhart, I think I would use a later round pick on my RB (use the 2c on a WR or OL or possibly Misi), and then use a high pick next year to draft my RB of the future in like an Ingram or someone like that. I would however use one of my late round picks this year on someone like Tate. Imagine BTate & Ingram in the backfield. We could then let Maroney walk and the the over 30 guys. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

faucet, if we got Gresham, Spikes, Alualu and Gerhart I would be more than thrilled...I can realistically see Gresham, ALualu and Gerhart, but don't think like you said, SPikes will slip to us at 45. But, what happens if we reversed the order a bit...say take Spikes at 22, and then Gresham with our 2a/2b?....could you see Gresham falling farther than Spikes based on teams picking in late first/early 2nd? So, it might be like this... 1 -Spikes 2a - Gresham 2b - Alualu 2c - WR?/OL?/OLB Misi 4th - Decker 5th (trade back into) - BTate Assuming the above happened in some form, I would then pick up Decker or another WR in Round 4, trade some of my 7th's/6ths to jump back into 5, and pick up Ben Tate if I did not get Gerhart in round 2. Personally, I although I like Gerhart, I think I would use a later round pick on my RB (use the 2c on a WR or OL or possibly Misi), and then use a high pick next year to draft my RB of the future in like an Ingram or someone like that. I would however use one of my late round picks this year on someone like Tate. Imagine BTate & Ingram in the backfield. We could then let Maroney walk and the the over 30 guys. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Mayock moves Sean Lee ahead of Spikes, does he know something we don't?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816d2ea9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I saw Wootten listed at 270, which is a little light for a 3-4 DE in Seymour's place. From watching some clips he also looks a little stiff, which can be expected for a guy that's 6'-6". Seymour moves extremely well for such a tall and big guy.  I agree that Pouncey seems like a very safe pick, and I'm one that thinks Koppen kills at least 2-3 plays a game when he gets blown off the ball. I think a more stout player would help the interior run game.  That being said I'm not backing down from B Graham at 22 (or trading up to get him). He just seems like a special pass rusher, and that's what the Pats need the most. LB is a more risky pick than OL, but you can find a center later in the draft that could be an adequate starter.  I like Faucet's draft, but replace Kindle with Graham. There's no way they get Graham, Spikes, Alualu with their first three picks though. I would be thrilled with those picks. And I know I know...Graham's too short. Belichick always does the unexpected, so I'm hoping he does the unexpected and picks Graham? In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Here's my problem with Pauncey, the Pats picked last year Bussey and the coaches are extremely high on the kid.  He is very smart and can play, he was on IR last year so in essence this is his rookie year.  They also have Connoly who I believe will start at center and Ohr who saw playing time last year but might be a bit too light for the job.  I think picking up a guard/center does not make since regardless if the pick is a safe one. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Pats,

I don't know why Mayock moved Lee over Spikes...perhaps it has to do with combine results....Looking at Lee, I don't know where he would fit into our defense...he is too small to play OLB, and I think a bit too light to play ILB. They got him at 6'2", 236lbs....He's kind of somewhere between a big safety and a small LB. 

If I had to choose Lee or Spikes, the simple choice to me is Spikes. He's an inch taller, 20lbs heavier and is better suited to play inside for us than Lee. He next to Mayo would be scary. Run stopping instantly improves, especially if we also got Odrick or Alualu to play end.

In terms of Bussey and Ohrenberger i tend to agree. I do believe having depth at the various OL positions is necessary, this is why I suggested waiting until later rounds to draft an OL and using our 1st and 2nds on playmakers. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Pats...

Plus, if you look at Mayock's other rankings...he has Kindle, Daryl Washington, Sean Weatherspoon over Jerry Hughes, which is a head scratcher, and Earl Thomas over Eric Berry which i don't understand either. 

I like Mayock and feel he is one of the better analysts, but don't agree on the above nor Lee over Spikes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats, I don't know why Mayock moved Lee over Spikes...perhaps it has to do with combine results....Looking at Lee, I don't know where he would fit into our defense...he is too small to play OLB, and I think a bit too light to play ILB. They got him at 6'2", 236lbs....He's kind of somewhere between a big safety and a small LB.  If I had to choose Lee or Spikes, the simple choice to me is Spikes. He's an inch taller, 20lbs heavier and is better suited to play inside for us than Lee. He next to Mayo would be scary. Run stopping instantly improves, especially if we also got Odrick or Alualu to play end. In terms of Bussey and Ohrenberger i tend to agree. I do believe having depth at the various OL positions is necessary, this is why I suggested waiting until later rounds to draft an OL and using our 1st and 2nds on playmakers. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

I agree on Spikes, he is not only what you mentioned but a vocal high motor guy who would finish games.  He has been sliding maybe he can be had in the 2nd round, he and Mayo in the middle would be a scary.  McKenzie is a good tackler good in coverage and has played as a strong side LB before, if Spikes is drafted could McKenzie move to the outside on the weakside?  Take over for AD?

The only OL position I would look at drafting in the 2nd round is a tackle be the RT of the future when ML leaves and Voll moves to LT.  We don't have that RT on the team yet and need to bring one in.  I would look at someone like Calloway, Veldheer or in later rounds I really like Will Baker Virginia OT.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, if we got Gresham, Spikes, Alualu and Gerhart I would be more than thrilled...I can realistically see Gresham, ALualu and Gerhart, but don't think like you said, SPikes will slip to us at 45. But, what happens if we reversed the order a bit...say take Spikes at 22, and then Gresham with our 2a/2b?....could you see Gresham falling farther than Spikes based on teams picking in late first/early 2nd? So, it might be like this... 1 -Spikes 2a - Gresham 2b - Alualu 2c - WR?/OL?/OLB Misi 4th - Decker 5th (trade back into) - BTate Assuming the above happened in some form, I would then pick up Decker or another WR in Round 4, trade some of my 7th's/6ths to jump back into 5, and pick up Ben Tate if I did not get Gerhart in round 2. Personally, I although I like Gerhart, I think I would use a later round pick on my RB (use the 2c on a WR or OL or possibly Misi), and then use a high pick next year to draft my RB of the future in like an Ingram or someone like that. I would however use one of my late round picks this year on someone like Tate. Imagine BTate & Ingram in the backfield. We could then let Maroney walk and the the over 30 guys. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Lifer,

Based on my analysis of team needs (and I'm sure this could be flawed), here's where I see Gresham and Spikes potentially going.

For Gresham

#22 NE
    #26 ARI (higher needs are QB, OT, OLB)
    #28 SD (higher needs are RB, DT, CB, S)
    #32 NO (higher needs are OT, OLB but this team is stacked and at #32, Gresham would be a great value pick.  This is the first place besides us at #22 that I think he could go)
    #44 DEN (assuming they trade Marshall, they would need a WR, NT/DT, ILB before they would take a TE.  But if they get a first for Marshall, they could have addressed NT and WR before this point and would be a real risk to take Gresham.  In fact any team operating under BPA principles between say 30-44 are at risk to take him.  I have Gresham at #24 overall on my board)
    #45 NE

For Spikes

Although you have the Giants and Tenn at 15 and 16 needing ILB help, I think both go different directions.

#22 NE
    #23 GB (bigger needs are OT, CB, OG)
    #24 PHI (bigger needs are OG, CB, FS)
    #25 BAL (bigger needs are CB, C, DE) They might take Pouncey if he's still there.
    #27 DAL (bigger needs are OT, OG, DE)
    #28 SD (bigger needs are RB, DT, CB, S)
    #30 MIN (bigger needs are CB) first real threat to take Spikes
    #36 KC (bigger needs are OT, S, DT, CB, WR, OLB) but they have 3 picks in first 2 rounds
    #38 CLE (bigger needs are OG, OT, WR) major treat to take Spikes. This is their second pick and the good OTs and OGs would be gone by here and there are plenty of WR options throughout the draft but the talent falls off at ILB after Spikes.
    #44 DEN (assuming they trade Marshall, they would need a WR, NT/DT).  I believe they take Dan Williams at #10.  If they take McClain instead, they won't take Spikes.  But if they take Williams, Spikes is likely their target.  There will be many talented WRs available in the 3rd.
    #45 NE

I have Spikes rated at 34.  I'd feel better about our chances to get him if it wasn't for Denver sitting at 44 and having a bunch of picks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think there a lot of options at LB especially if you consider the current roster.

in a 3-4...we could have Mayo/McKenzie inside, and Crable/Guyton/Woods/TBC outside. If all stayed healthy, and all played decently, that line up is not so bad...not optimal, but not bad..

I think with a guy like McKenzie he could play outside but lacks the length. I think he is only listed at 6'1"-2" and about 245lbs. 

If we drafted Spikes, could we move him inside with Mayo, and use Crable/Guyton/Mckenzie outside with TBC coming in on passing downs? possibly. 

I still think we need someone at the OLB spot regardless of McKenzie. In our defense, I think McKenzie's natural spot is next to Mayo, but I also think Spikes is an upgrade over McKenzie and can play all 3 downs. Perhaps use McKenzie for depth inside and see if he can play the OLB spot. He has the same physical makeup of other highly touted OLB's in this year's draft like Weatherspoon, etc.

Lots of questions. if i could read the crystal ball and it said Crable would play this year and contribute significantly, then I'm less worried about the outside position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Lifer, Based on my analysis of team needs (and I'm sure this could be flawed), here's where I see Gresham and Spikes potentially going. For Gresham #22 NE #26 ARI (higher needs are QB, OT, OLB) #28 SD (higher needs are RB, DT, CB, S) #32 NO (higher needs are OT, OLB but this team is stacked and at #32, Gresham would be a great value pick.  This is the first place besides us at #22 that I think he could go) #44 DEN (assuming they trade Marshall, they would need a WR, NT/DT, ILB before they would take a TE.  But if they get a first for Marshall, they could have addressed NT and WR before this point and would be a real risk to take Gresham.  In fact any team operating under BPA principles between say 30-44 are at risk to take him.  I have Gresham at #24 overall on my board) #45 NE For Spikes Although you have the Giants and Tenn at 15 and 16 needing ILB help, I think both go different directions. #22 NE #23 GB #24 PHI #25 BAL #27 DAL #28 SD #30 MIN #36 KC #38 CLE #44 DEN #45 NE I have Spikes rated at 34.  I'd feel better about our chances to get him if it wasn't for Denver sitting at 44 and having a bunch of picks.
    Posted by Faucetman

I don't think we trade for marshall, the two teams right now in the run the seahawks and Jets are said to have a 1st round offer to them.  Sorry Jets are internally talking about it but it would be for their 1st round pick.

I don't think the 44th will be enough to get marshall and honestly even if it was I don't really want that guy on the team who's trying to get back to humble pie eating players.  Yes he's a great talent but a bigger pain.

I rather take take Demaryius Thomas from Tech or Damian Williams from SC.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I don't think we trade for marshall, the two teams right now in the run the seahawks and Jets are said to have a 1st round offer to them.  Sorry Jets are internally talking about it but it would be for their 1st round pick. I don't think the 44th will be enough to get marshall and honestly even if it was I don't really want that guy on the team who's trying to get back to humble pie eating players.  Yes he's a great talent but a bigger pain. I rather take take Demaryius Thomas from Tech or Damian Williams from SC.
    Posted by Pats7393

I wasn't suggesting we trade for Marshall.  I was suggesting that Denver is shopping him for a 1st and Seattle is one team interested.  I was saying if Denver trades Marshall to someone, they made it clear they want a first.  They would then have a major need at WR.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Just a suggestion for all of you posting mock drafts for the Patriots go to NationalFootballPost.com and use their charts to see what type of player the Scouts actually think the player you are projecting as a possible pick for the Patriots. Scouting ratings are ranks from 8 to 5 with 8 being the best you could possibly hope for and 5 being nothing but a wasted pick,the charts they have on this site tells you what each players grade is according to the scouts who work for the NFL. I find this site very insightful and it lists each player available for each position. Well keep the thread going and I'll enjoy reading all the ideas everyone here has to offer.Happy St.Patrick's Day to all of you in New England.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I think there a lot of options at LB especially if you consider the current roster. in a 3-4...we could have Mayo/McKenzie inside, and Crable/Guyton/Woods/TBC outside. If all stayed healthy, and all played decently, that line up is not so bad...not optimal, but not bad.. I think with a guy like McKenzie he could play outside but lacks the length. I think he is only listed at 6'1"-2" and about 245lbs.  If we drafted Spikes, could we move him inside with Mayo, and use Crable/Guyton/Mckenzie outside with TBC coming in on passing downs? possibly.  I still think we need someone at the OLB spot regardless of McKenzie. In our defense, I think McKenzie's natural spot is next to Mayo, but I also think Spikes is an upgrade over McKenzie and can play all 3 downs. Perhaps use McKenzie for depth inside and see if he can play the OLB spot. He has the same physical makeup of other highly touted OLB's in this year's draft like Weatherspoon, etc. Lots of questions. if i could read the crystal ball and it said Crable would play this year and contribute significantly, then I'm less worried about the outside position.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Getting Spikes at #45 is a pipe dream.  We could have him at #22 which a few months ago a lot of people would have been very satisfied with.  Obviously OLB is a bigger need for us.  The buzz is we are interested in Kindle and Graham.  It would not shock me if we took one of them.  There are other options later in besides Odrick to replace Seymour so I don't think they would go DL at #22 unless Williams was there.  So, it really comes down to Kindle/Graham or Gresham with Pouncey being a safe and solid pick but much less immediate need.  The other options would be playmakers like Best/Tate/D. Thomas.  The Pats typically don't take those types early in the draft.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I just saw a mock on Walterfootball that has us getting Dez Bryant...How cool would that be. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I wasn't suggesting we trade for Marshall.  I was suggesting that Denver is shopping him for a 1st and Seattle is one team interested.  I was saying if Denver trades Marshall to someone, they made it clear they want a first.  They would then have a major need at WR.
    Posted by Faucetman

With the 44th thought you were talking trading that pick, thought the Pats have the 44th and 48th?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Armanti Edwards QB Appalachian State 6'0" 190 4.51 40

Has worked out for some teams as a WR and returner, anyone heard the Pats looking at this kid?  Late round projection 5th to 7th.

"Edwards, an electric dual threat QB, is perhaps the best known player in the FCS. He rushed 193 times in 13 games for 1169 yards, lost 228 on sacks and other attempts for 941 yards, 4.9 per carry 11 scores and a longest of 76 yards, with these gaudy passing stats a 170.19 QB Rating, 2,902 passing yards in 2008 and 30 TDs also in his career 7,101 Yards and 62TDs. Despite the fact that he is known as a runner his completion %s: 60.9, 66.7 and 64.1 and while he has passed for 62 scores he has only thrown 26 picks."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Mayock moves Sean Lee ahead of Spikes, does he know something we don't? http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816d2ea9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    Posted by Pats7393

That happened a while ago. I had posted that here as well as saying I have ALWAYS heard negative things about spikes.

Todays pro day will answer some questions for us all.

His production has gone down every year over the last three seasons. He has questions of range due to his speed.

None of this is new, but most of it is more guessing and unknowns which cause his stock to go down because he hasn't run his 40. He also did not wow anyone at the combine apparently.

I have always said his stock was not as high this year as most on this board have always thought. I think people never let go of last seasons expected/projected draft value or something.

I do not even claim that it was "my" eyes telling me this. Simply perceived momentum from following everything written about the player.

That's why I have always stated Spoon would go first from way back . How it will unfold who knows. Again, todays pro day could do a lot for Spikes. As of this moment, however, my original perceived momentum was accurate as Spoon is the higher rated LB currently.

Sections
Shortcuts