2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

Guys, if we did draft Mathews, what other style of RB would we look for to complement him?

I'd rather draft a Spiller/Best type, or a Dwyer/Gerhart (sp) type, and then in a year or two draft the opposite type.

Power guy/speedy guy seems to work pretty well around the league.

Have different exeptional traits in different guys, to be used against an opponents weakesses as each game dictates.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Mayock ranks Mathews higher than Spiller so he probalbly would be gone at the  44th pick.
    I would say, fill the other needs first, and then draft an RB in Round 4 or 6 and a new feature Back next Draft.
    And who knows, perhaps Maroney has is Breakout season now, with a different OL with Iupati.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

akaito, I agree that Matthews stock is on the rise but I don't think we can wait until next year to bring another back, now with that been said I also think we have a guy on the team that has produced everytime he's given the opportunity and would love to see him get his chance.  BJGE I think would be a really good back if he was given the carries.

If BB thinks he can get production from him and keep Taylor in the mix then I do think they go this year with who they have but promote BJGE.

He really stepped up at the end of 2008 and looks good when he carried this year.  I think with more carries he'll find his own, the kid has the speed size and lateral movement that we're missing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

What are your thoughts of drafting Stafon Johnson in Rd 6 or 7?
    He had a severe injury, but looks pretty good on the practice field if you take into account thats its first practice since the injury. He is listed as 7th-FA, but after the Senior bowl he will probably rise a bit, and with a 6th one could gamble a bit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Don't care who we have in the  backfield it all starts up FRONT.Draft Iupati with our 1ST pick,it's safe and thats what BB does in 1st rounds.
    examples:
                 Light,Mankins,Seymour, Warren and Wilfork.
    Except a need pick in Mayo, BB goes DL or OL in the  first.

Pats7393 what about a punter in the later rounds?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

akaito I think Johnson is an option in later rounds, the freak injury he had should allow him to play football without any concerns.  He will not break a 50yrd run but what he has done all his career is be a tough between the tackle runners and get you those 3rd and 2 3rd and 3s (or 4th and 2) and would be good around the goal line.  If we pickup a speedy back I think with a compensatory pick 6th rnd Johnson would be good.

dwhite I do think we pickup a punter in late rounds or bring two in as rookie FAs but one thing if for certain we need someone who averages more than 39 yrds a punt that's just not acceptable. 

Season StatisticsCareer Statistics
       Att.Avg. Long Att. Avg. Long
    Zoltan Mesko 5244.5 66 252 42.5 68
    Matt Dodge 6745.8 73 220 43.5 73
    Jeremy Boone 5343.3 66 151 43.2 70
    Mike Brandtner 6640.8 64 242 40.6 73
    Zach Johnson 4840.4 60 193 40.2 63

Here's a list of punters available in the draft, I don't see someone who jumps out on the average but if you look at the career longs there are some good numbers.  Matt Dodge seems to be the better one.  He might be improving given his season stats in average are 2 yrd more than career.  Here's some more information on him but we do have to pick someone up. 
    I think we get 1 or 2 compensatory picks which cannot be traded, if this kid is available I think he would be a great pickup in the 6th or 7th rnd.  He will not make it out of the draft, he has a big leg and teams looking to improve will probably have him as 2nd rated punter in the draft behind Zoltan Mesko, the knock on Mesko is punting in bad weather.  He is not as good of a punter in bad weather which is when you need monster kicks from your punter as you are playing for field position.

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4548

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Arodrambone,
    Personally I'd rather have 1 lead back to can do alot of things vs. multiple lead backs that can be utilized based on situation.  With a single back that has the versatility to run the ball between the tackles or bounce it outside and go the distance or be utilized on swing passes and screens or provide efficient pass blocking, it allows an offense to better disguise what they're looking to do.  Mathews (like a lot of backs) wasn't utilized much as a receiver at the college level, so I'm interested to see how he looks in that area.  I also think BB will have a 3rd down or change of pace back on the roster (I think Faulk will be brought back), however he wouldn't be a primary ball carrier.

You said power guy/speed guy works pretty well in the league.  It's my opinion that Mathews is both.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I've been looking at MLBs available in the draft, this is one area (we have many) that I think must be improved.  Mayo needs a stud next to him, I really hope to see Mc back from his knee injury and be able to contribute but I don't know if we put all our eggs in that basket or the Guyton basket.

Guyton IMO is an OLB and would be interesting to see what king of production he would have there with his speed.  I came across Lee Campbell and an interesting evaluation of him.  He's projected as a third on this site but I do not much about this kid.  I've seen him projected also anywhere from 4th to 6th round.  This site is not the only one that says he's a very versatile LB.

Anyone actually seen him?  He is built as a MLB and sounds like he would help against the run.  Could be a guy to watch as he goes through the workouts.

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=4719

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

akaitcho,
    Mayock is known to kind of go against the grain with his rankings/projections.  With that being said, I respect his opinion/analysis far more than Kiper as I think Mel is one of the more overrated draft guys in the business.  He'll tell you that a player is good and that a team should draft him, then throw out a heigh/weight/ 40 time, but doesn't give you an actual football reason why a player is good or should be drafted...Mayock will do that, he breaks players down in "scout speak" and will tell you why a player is effective or not.

Not that I've gone completely off topic, I'm not ready to put Mathews in the top 15 because Mayock ranks him above Spiller.  He may very well move up from 44, but early to mid rd 1 seems a bit high for him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

After the week of senior bowl practice and some time to read about some prospects, here my mock draft.

Round 1, #22 OL Mike Iupati
    It's a safe pick, he'l contribute right away. The problem is he was great at the senior bowl practice and therefore could be gone at this point...

Round 2, #44 OLB Sergio Kindle 6-4 239
    He nearly has BB's OLB size, is effective against the run, can take coverage responsibilities and rush the QB. 
    or ILB Brandon Spikes 6-3 258
    Great Leadership, which is neaded. Will be great to see him besides Mayo.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1114679

Round 2, #47 DE Corey Wootton 6-6 280
    His size on the edge will be great against the run and pass.

Round 2 #53 TE Jimmy Graham 6-8 260
    This one will be a bit of a surprise I guess. he only played one year in College, but has shown great hands, catched everything in sight and had good rout running, left the LB and Safties without a clue where or when the cut would come. With his size and Basketball backround a good Redzone target.
    or ILB Daryl Washington 6-3 228
    Good speed, aggressive and decent coverage skills, can also be used as OLB.

Round 4 #117 WR Riley Cooper, Eric Decker, Shay Hodge
    All three have the size to play opposite of Moss. One of these should still be there a #117

Round 6 #195 RB Stefan Johnson 5-11 215
    He could help us with the running game and on punt returns. He had his first practice this week since september and looked a bit rusty at first, but he got better every day. He 

Round 7 # 220 OLB Carl Ihenacho 6-3 245
    A versatile pass rusher with BB's size. A good one to add depth to the OLB's

This is my draft with VW signed longterm.
    Thoughts?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

dwhite1220,
    I'm a huge Iupati guy and certainly think he's an option in rd 1, but as Faucet had pointed out on a prior post, he may not be available at 22.  In the instance that he's not, I think Mike Johnson (6-5 300/OG/Alabama) in Rd 2 is a good alternative at OG.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

akaitcho,
    I've thought about Stafon Johnson as well, he's a fairly well rounded back, runs hard, has some decent speed and is a decent pass blocker, he also has relatively fresh legs as he was part of the USC RB stable and didn't get a ton of carries.  I've also read that he has happy feet a la Maroney, so not sure how that would fly.

With that being said, I like him as a late round option if they pass on an RB high.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

If Iupati is gone at #22 I would Draft kindle or spikes in the first and Johnson or Asamoah in the second

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Faucet,
    I'm all for improving the run defense as that was the calling card for their earlier defenses. This is one of the reasons I'm looking at Spikes as an option at 22, I'm just picturing in my head, two big, tough athletic and instinctive SEC bred ILB's that can quickly diagnose the play, find the football and close violently. 

As far as a 1st round OLB, I'm just not sure you draft a guy who can just set the edge vs. the run, I think you can get those guys later in the draft.  Now if the guy can set the edge effectively and also get after the QB, then I'm all for it.  I'm just not sure Kindle is the guy as multiple posters had mentioned.

I've also read that he may not be the smartest guy and has problems diagnosing plays and is can be seen playing out of position, which asks the question, does he have the intelligence to perform in a complex BB defense?

I prefer Hughes if they go OLB in Rd 1.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

akaitcho,
    A few comments on your mock:

I like the Iupati pick, how he's still around. I'm down to Spikes/Odrick/Iupati in Rd 1.

I prefer Spikes to Kindle at that point in the second.

I think Wootton has intriguing package of size and skill set.

I think you have Jimmy Graham way too high, though he's big, fast and athletic so Al Davis might take him 8th overall.

I like Daryl Washington as a player, I just don't think he fits their scheme at 6016 - 226 (his SB weight in).  He'd need to put another 15-20 pounds.

I'm a big Riley Cooper guy.

I think Stafon Johnson is great value at that point in the draft, though I hope Mathews is the guy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Yeah, I know Grahams is probably a bit high in my mock but his stock is rising rapidly, from a 7th round before the senior bowl week to a 3 round now. He hasn't played as much in college. I think thats a good thing, because you can shape him the way you want for your offense. 
    Some say he'll be the next Antonio Gates.
    I think he's worth a gamble.

Washington is a bit smaller than Mayo, but I think the speed of his and Mayos toughness would complement well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

akaitcho,
    Graham, has the size/skill set to warrant a higher round pick, but he's aweful raw, Gates potential or not, I don't think a team (outside of Oakland) spends a 2nd pick in this draft on a 'non-Tebow' project, I could be wrong though.

Also, 3-4 LB's need to have good size as they will be taking on OG's etc when stepping up to fill vs. the run.  They need to be able to stack their man at the line then shed to make a play.  I don't think he's big enough.

He's probably a better fit as a 4-3 OLB where he'd have the ability to utilize his speed and range in space/coverage vs. RB's and chasing down plays on the run.

If they move to a base 4-3 maybe, if not, then he's not a fit IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

mbeaulieu07,

Don't get me wrong, I'd be all over Spikes at #22 if Iupati is gone.  Next to McClain he is by far the best MLB in the draft.  There isn't another MLB worthy of picking until the 3rd round. 

I'm not a huge Kindle fan either.  There just isn't a for sure OLB prospect of the prototypical size/speed you want except for the DE conversion types and those guys are hit or miss including Sapp.  If I had to take one in the first two rounds I go with Jerry Hughes even though he isn't as tall or fast as Sapp or Kindle.  Hughes is the best pass rusher in the draft and doesn't take plays off.

I agree also that Mayock is better than Kipper.  Remember the other year when Kipper could stop talking about Brandon Flowers as the best CB in the draft and a top 10 pick?  Then Flowers goes out there and puts up a whopping 4.58 at the Combine and gets drafted in the 2nd round.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Faucet,
    What are your feelings on Myron Rolle.  I had this Myron Rolle epiphany today after reading Tom E Curran's article today (on the hiring of Corwin Brown) on another thread and how he talked about the attitude of some folks in the secondary, namely S Brandon McGowan. 

It then occured to me, you know what?  We could certainly use an upgrade in the secondary when it comes to intelligence, character and leadership.  You know, players that know where they're supposed to be on the field (see Hendersons 75 TD vs. New Orleans). 

If Rolle can convince GM's/Scouts that he's serious about an NFL career (after spending the last year as a Rhodes Scholar studing at Oxford) I think he has the measurables, intangibles and skill set to be an ideal fit at safety here.  He appears to have excellent range and instincts, so you'd think his lack of INT's at FSU would have to come around eventually.

I will be adding him as a 2nd round option to my mock draft updates next week.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Brandon Flowers turned out to be pretty damn good, draft position notwithstanding.

A lot of teams regretted not drafting him earlier.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

ok now that I've had a chance to look at these guys at senior bowl week taking another shot at what picks we have not trying to guess trades even though I do think we'll gain some picks but here it goes:
    1st Round 22-
    Kyle Wilson - CB Boise State (HT: 5'10" | WT: 190)
    No surprice here if you read some of my SB notes, this guy worked himself into the first round.  If Bodden is resign Wilson will be #3 CB and also return kicks, if he doesn't sign this kid can be #2 day 1. I think 22 can be traded to late 20s and still get him and add a 3rd rounder but sticking will actual draft picsk.
    2nd Round 42
    Dan Williams - DT/DE Tennessee (HT: 6'2 1/4" | WT: 329)
    With Vince's contract situation I think we'll need a NT.  Williams is very good against the run.  He could go as high at late first round, here would be a gift.
    2nd Round 44
    Vince Oghobaase - DE Duke (HT: 6'6" | WT: 300)
    Need help on the DL, this guy will certainly do that.
    2nd Round 53
    Everson Griffen - OLB USC (HT: 6'3" | WT: 265)

Runs at 4.50 40 at his size, bring on the heat.
    4th Round
    John Jerry - OG Ole Miss (HT: 6'5 3/4" | WT: 322)
    Big nasty guy, will help in the running game who ever the RB is.
    6th Round
    Stafon Johnson - RB USC (HT: 5'10 1/2" | WT: 214)
    He will help in the running game, moving in early rounds more on the d side I still want a RB so Stafon can run the rock and will turn out to be a solid starter and great value for a 6th rounder.
    7th Round
    Lee Campbell - MLB Minnesota (HT: 6'3" | WT: 246)

Great prospect, has played DE, MLB and Strong side LB.  I think if we get him in the 7th in three years it will be considered another great find for BB.
    7th Round
    Mike Williams - WR Syracuse (HT: 6'2" | WT: 204)
    This one is a hard one, this guy runs 4.40 40.  Very good hands, goes across the middle not scared of contact BUT quit the team during 2009 season so this one is based on the interviews.  If he can convince coaches he's serious about playing then take him.  He has all the messurables to make it in the NFL but is he serious about making it in the NFL.

Hard time leaving some players off, I need more picks in the late 1st and 2nd rounds.  With three more I would be happy as well as a 3rd rounder.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

mb.

You know I have to go back to our discussion about LaGarrette Blount.  He appears to be saying the right things.  At 6-1, 245 and an estimated 4.55 speed, this kid if he has a strong Combine and interviews could shoot up towards the first round.  Talent wise and measurable wise he hits the mark.  I might have to reconsider my remarks about him earlier and perhaps we should throw him into the mix in our RB discussion.  If everything checks out, I'd go a 2nd on him. 

Here are a couple of reports I found.

01/28/2010 - SENIOR BOWL RISER: RB LaGarrette Blount, Oregon: Blount still has a long way to go to guarantee being drafted after his well-documented cheap shot of a Boise State player in the season opener. Scouts have been impressed with his contrition in interviews and utter lack of contrition on the field. Quicker than he looks, Blount's raw power makes him an intriguing option for a team needing a big back to run out of the I-formation. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/27/2010 - Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount also impressed, looking like a clone of Jacksonville fullback Greg Jones as a tough runner and willing blocker. A bit raw in pass protection technique and as a route-runner and receiver (quarterback Dan LeFevour had a talk with him after they failed to connect on a throw to the flat), Blount has a ways to go to improve his overall game. But he ran strong and finished every play, even spinning off tackles inside. And it is obvious Blount does not back down from mixing it up on the field as a blocker. Don't be surprised if he comes up big in the game Saturday. - Rob Rang and Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

mb,

Myron Rolle is a very intriguing prospect.  He reminds of Rodney Harrison, at least has the size and smarts.  I've got him as a late 3rd early 4th right now so if he is hanging around at 117, I might be tempted to take a shot at him.  But, since we took Chung at the top of our draft last year; I have to expect him to be in the plans at starting SS soon.  I doubt we'd spend another high pick at the position.  If we do want to go SS, I'd target Chad Jones ahead of Rolle perhaps a 53.  He has better measureables is 2 years younger and if he washes up at a Patriot, maybe he can go over to Fenway and help out the pen.

There has been a lot of talk about Meriweather moving to CB.  What are your thoughts on that?  I'm not sure he has the speed but it would give us a tackling CB unlike the Butler and two Ws.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Faucet,
    As a player I like Blount's measurables and skill set etc, and think he could be successful in the league, however I'm looking for NE to upgrade the character and leadership in the locker room; taking Blount IMO would be going in the opposite direction.  Now he may be regretful an apologetic in his interviews, but does he really have a choice?  If it was the difference between getting paid handsomely in the NFL or having to get a real job, I'd put on a happy face too.  Call me skeptical, but I'm not buying it.  I'd rather have Gerhart, similar size and skill, solid intangibles, character and intelligence.

See I never thought safety was a "need" until reading that article yesterday.  I think taking a saftey high, specifically Rolle is a real option for this team.  I also like your suggestion Jones.  Another big, fast, athletic and physical safety, that also comes with the SEC pedigree, BB loves SEC players.  I just want someone back their that knows their assignments, can consistently execute, doesn't make multiple stupid mistakes in coverage, is a secure tackler and can be the overall QB of the secondary.  Sanders may be that guy, but I certainly think they can upgrade over Sanders. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

With the thought of moving Merieweather to CB and drafting a safety what do you think of drafting Mays in Round 1? If Iupati is gone by then.

On the other hand drafting a hard hitting CB like Jerome Murphy in Round 2 seems also a good choice or did he do poorly at the senior practice?

Sections
Shortcuts