2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Armanti Edwards QB Appalachian State 6'0" 190 4.51 40 Has worked out for some teams as a WR and returner, anyone heard the Pats looking at this kid?  Late round projection 5th to 7th. "Edwards, an electric dual threat QB, is perhaps the best known player in the FCS. He rushed 193 times in 13 games for 1169 yards, lost 228 on sacks and other attempts for 941 yards, 4.9 per carry 11 scores and a longest of 76 yards, with these gaudy passing stats a 170.19 QB Rating, 2,902 passing yards in 2008 and 30 TDs also in his career 7,101 Yards and 62TDs. Despite the fact that he is known as a runner his completion %s: 60.9, 66.7 and 64.1 and while he has passed for 62 scores he has only thrown 26 picks."
    Posted by Pats7393

Yes the Patriots have been linked to his name for some time now. Folks on here were complaining and pleading "No not another QB to WR convert. Get a real WR" lol

He's a great athlete.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Yet another one of this boards original favorites that I was not high on might be moving down even further. Talk of Dwyer in the 3rd round now. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d816f7a12/Georgia-Tech-Pro-Day

Again keep reading this RB draft class is not very strong. Beats me. Most of these RB's look pretty good to me.

I think if a guy like Dwyer ends up in the 3rd round it's just because some other positions depth has pushed some RB's down the board. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Yes the Patriots have been linked to his name for some time now. Folks on here were complaining and pleading "No not another QB to WR convert. Get a real WR" lol He's a great athlete.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

If the kid can play why not, QBs converted have a different feel for the game and how to run routes.  If he is quick not just fast and can play I say go for it.  He also rushed for more yards than some RBs coming out.  He's not big enough to be an every down back but could be turned into a 3rd down back who can be motioned into the slot ect.  If he's that versatile and can catch the ball yes take him in the 6th.  We are all calling for dexter to be drafted well not all but a good number of us, this guy ran a good 40 is bigger than dex.
    As a QB he will also understand how blitzes are coming if you line him up as a RB.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : That happened a while ago. I had posted that here as well as saying I have ALWAYS heard negative things about spikes. Todays pro day will answer some questions for us all. His production has gone down every year over the last three seasons. He has questions of range due to his speed. None of this is new, but most of it is more guessing and unknowns which cause his stock to go down because he hasn't run his 40. He also did not wow anyone at the combine apparently. I have always said his stock was not as high this year as most on this board have always thought. I think people never let go of last seasons expected/projected draft value or something. I do not even claim that it was "my" eyes telling me this. Simply perceived momentum from following everything written about the player. That's why I have always stated Spoon would go first from way back . How it will unfold who knows. Again, todays pro day could do a lot for Spikes. As of this moment, however, my original perceived momentum was accurate as Spoon is the higher rated LB currently.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I'll only speak for myself, but my argument has never really been who is rated higher, it's that Spikes is a better fit in NE as a 3-4 ILB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Yet another one of this boards original favorites that I was not high on might be moving down even further. Talk of Dwyer in the 3rd round now.  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d816f7a12/Georgia-Tech-Pro-Day Again keep reading this RB draft class is not very strong. Beats me. Most of these RB's look pretty good to me. I think if a guy like Dwyer ends up in the 3rd round it's just because some other positions depth has pushed some RB's down the board. 
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Iknow this is ESPN rumors but I tend to agree with this one, I see his college position as not been such a negative.  He played 2 yards back fromt he QB and he didn't have much time to look and analyze what the D was doing now he'll have the time and be able to hit the hole at full speed.

Will Dwyer crack the first round?

6:20PM ET
    Jonathan Dwyer

A borderline first-round prospect -- given the lowered emphasis NFL teams are placing on backs given the running-back-by-committee revolution -- Georgia Tech standout Jonathan Dwyer did not do himself any favors by running the 4.6s in the 40-yard dash at the combine.

ESPN's Bruce Feldman discussed why Dwyer is a polarizing figure following the combine, noting that "the frenetic nature of the triple option scheme he played in at Tech" might be the cause of all the hype. Dwyer was at the Yellow Jackets' pro day on Tuesday, and did drop his 40 time a bit. Is it enough to get back into the first round? For a quick take on that, here's Steve Muench of Scouts, Inc.:

Insider
    Steve Muench

Still behind the first tier

"Jonathan Dwyer appeared to be in excellent shape and ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.52-second range, which is a considerable improvement over the 4.6s he ran at the combine. Dwyer's new time should help stabilize his stock but don't expect him to get back into the best-back-in-the-class discussion. Clemson's C.J. Spiller, Fresno State's Ryan Mathews and California's Jahvid Best ran so well at the combine that Dwyer can't catch up at this point, and Dwyer is a second-round pick at this point."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I just read Jon Gruden spent a day with Tebow to work on his throwing motion ect.  I have never heard of so many NFL coaches, trainers spending so much time on one guy.

Yes some of these guys are paid but others are helping a kid who they think deserves to be in the league and get a chance.  I have been one to say I don't want him drafted but goodness does this kid just says winner and makes everyone gravitate towards him. 

Although I don't think we can afford to spend a 2nd on him I do wish he gets a shot in the pros and makes it as a starter someday.  If anything it will be a great example of what you can do if you do things right and work hard.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/mar/04/050910/gruden-spends-day-tutoring-nfl-hopeful-tebow/sports/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I'll only speak for myself, but my argument has never really been who is rated higher, it's that Spikes is a better fit in NE as a 3-4 ILB.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I would probably agree with you as well mbeau. 

What I have started to question however is if the Patriots really use the 3-4 in the same manner as they used before the rule changes and the proliferation of the pass.

The Patriots are in nickel so much of the time now I am not sure the TJ role is as big a deal for them anymore.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Iknow this is ESPN rumors but I tend to agree with this one, I see his college position as not been such a negative.  He played 2 yards back fromt he QB and he didn't have much time to look and analyze what the D was doing now he'll have the time and be able to hit the hole at full speed. Will Dwyer crack the first round? 6:20 PM ET Jonathan Dwyer Top Email A borderline first-round prospect -- given the lowered emphasis NFL teams are placing on backs given the running-back-by-committee revolution -- Georgia Tech standout Jonathan Dwyer did not do himself any favors by running the 4.6s in the 40-yard dash at the combine. ESPN's Bruce Feldman discussed why Dwyer is a polarizing figure following the combine, noting that "the frenetic nature of the triple option scheme he played in at Tech" might be the cause of all the hype. Dwyer was at the Yellow Jackets' pro day on Tuesday, and did drop his 40 time a bit. Is it enough to get back into the first round? For a quick take on that, here's Steve Muench of Scouts, Inc.: Steve Muench Still behind the first tier "Jonathan Dwyer appeared to be in excellent shape and ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.52-second range, which is a considerable improvement over the 4.6s he ran at the combine. Dwyer's new time should help stabilize his stock but don't expect him to get back into the best-back-in-the-class discussion. Clemson's C.J. Spiller, Fresno State's Ryan Mathews and California's Jahvid Best ran so well at the combine that Dwyer can't catch up at this point, and Dwyer is a second-round pick at this point."
    Posted by Pats7393

National Football Post still has Dwyer as their 3rd best RB too. 

I think those guys on that video just like to hear themselves talk sometimes.

That's the problem with pro day 40 times. They are not official. I always go by the combine numbers. Everyone under the same conditions and timing mechanism.

He looked fine doing drills and catching and more importantly there is some nice video on him in games where it matters most.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : National Football Post still has Dwyer as their 3rd best RB too.  I think those guys on that video just like to hear themselves talk sometimes. That's the problem with pro day 40 times. They are not official. I always go by the combine numbers. Everyone under the same conditions and timing mechanism. He looked fine doing drills and catching and more importantly there is some nice video on him in games where it matters most.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I've seen him play since he was in high school, it is 5 minutes from my house and he is a solid RB.  I know you can't put much on how a high school player does but he did catch the ball back then.  He will be a good back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Faucet, in regards to Pouncey. Although he isnt an immediate need per se, I can see us taking him for another reason.  With all the new 3-4 teams, we need a center that can handle a true NT.  Koppen cant, he gets knocked back often against someone that much bigger. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Spikes does NOT break 5 seconds in the 40. This is unofficial so don't hold me to it but this is the first report I got.

Here is the link.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I would probably agree with you as well mbeau.  What I have started to question however is if the Patriots really use the 3-4 in the same manner as they used before the rule changes and the proliferation of the pass. The Patriots are in nickel so much of the time now I am not sure the TJ role is as big a deal for them anymore.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Do you have any metrics that show the % of pass vs. run on 1st and 2nd down for teams across the NFL?

Or anything that shows the % of time they're in in nickel vs. base 3-4 etc.?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Do you have any metrics that show the % of pass vs. run on 1st and 2nd down for teams across the NFL?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I will check into that mbeau.

I was listening to a blogcast late last night and some scouts were saying it was a trend in the NFL in general that defenses were spending a lot more time in nickel defense.

I'll try to dig up some numbers. Right now its simply perception on my part.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Well, I like Spikes for NE, but would not take him at 22..if he slips to us at 44 or whatever our 2a is these days, then I would grab him...If not, I think I would use one of the 2's on Misi. I know they are differetn players, but I think Misi can play OLB or ILB..or wait until later rounds to draft ILB depth if Spikes is not there.

I think there is a better chance Gresham slips to us with the 2a, than Spikes...not going to make my decision based on this, but this is what I think.

Seems like the national consensus is Kindle or Graham....I woudl be OK with Graham at 22, but not Kindle. I just don't think he is the kind of player the Pats want....at least not in the first round...what do you guys think about Kindle?

I think I would rather have Misi at the OLB spot than Kindle at this point. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Spikes does NOT break 5 seconds in the 40. This is unofficial so don't hold me to it but this is the first report I got. Here is the link. http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1462
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Well no one can say he ran on a slow track as Joe Haden was apparently clocked the the high 4.3s or low 4.4s depending on who you read.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

low-fb-iq,

If defenses are spending a majority of their time in the nickel, does that mean there is a greater need a safety or possibly drafting smaller/faster LB's than Pats traditionally do like a Weatherspoon or Daryl Washington, etc....?

why don't we just load the field with these 6' 1"-2", 220-230 guys

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I will check into that mbeau. I was listening to a blogcast late last night and some scouts were saying it was a trend in the NFL in general that defenses were spending a lot more time in nickel defense. I'll try to dig up some numbers. Right now its simply perception on my part.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Cool, that'd be great!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

I did an exercise, simply trying to fill our greatest needs (DE, OLB, TE, WR) with our first four picks. I looked for the prospects that have the physical measurable, the production and are likely to be available.  For the rest of the draft we can just pick the best available.  Here is what I came up with:

#22 Ricky Sapp, OLB. 6'4", 252lbs. Actually played LB in college. A great combine showed his knee has healed.  Kindle and Hughes are the alternative OLB prospects in case Sapp is gone.  Can't take Gresham here because Sapp, Kindle, Hughes, and of course Graham will all be gone before our next pick.

#45 Aaron Hernandez, TE. 6'3" 245lbs. Good hands.  Has a knack to get open.  Two skills that Ben Watson does not have.  A receiving TE in the mold of Dallas Clark and Dustin Keller.  Our offense has been too predictable.  It is time to get TE more involved.  We struggled to score in the second half last year.  Take Dennis Pitta if Hernandez is gone.  A blocking TE can be found in the later round to complement this pick.

#48 Vince Oghobaase, DE. 6'6" 305lbs. 36 inch arm.  Smart.  A senior from Duke. This will be viewed a reach in the same way as Stephen Vollmer was viewed last year. Had 165 tackles at Duke as a DT.  Slowed by a leg injury last year.  Has the size and strength to play 3-4 DE.  Also consider Al Woods for this spot. 

#53 Eric Decker, WR. 6'3" 217lbs.  Catch the ball well and run a good route.  A gamer.  Check out this paragraph "Decker made a sensational touchdown catch, only to take a shot from an opponent who led with his helmet, resulting in Decker getting stitches under his chin. He refused to leave the game. Prior to the injury, he had one catch for four yards. By the end of the game, his totals were eight receptions for 119 yards and two scores." Foot injury has to be cleared. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

low-fb-iq, If defenses are spending a majority of their time in the nickel, does that mean there is a greater need a safety or possibly drafting smaller/faster LB's than Pats traditionally do like a Weatherspoon or Daryl Washington, etc....? why don't we just load the field with these 6' 1"-2", 220-230 guys
    Posted by PatsLifer

If what I read and my perception is at least somewhat accurate yes that would be true.

You remember BB toyed with Tank Williams I in that tweener S/LB role the year he got hurt in mini camp. Also based on some of last years stats Patrick Chung played some of that role as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I did an exercise, simply trying to fill our greatest needs (DE, OLB, TE, WR) with our first four picks. I looked for the prospects that have the physical measurable, the production and are likely to be available.  For the rest of the draft we can just pick the best available.  Here is what I came up with: #22 Ricky Sapp, OLB. 6'4", 252lbs.  Actually played LB in college. A great combine showed his knee has healed.  Kindle and Hughes are the alternative OLB prospects in case Sapp is gone.  Can't take Gresham here because Sapp, Kindle, Hughes, and of course Graham will all be gone before our next pick. #45 Aaron Hernandez, TE. 6'3" 245lbs . Good hands.  Has a knack to get open.  Two skills that Ben Watson does not have.  A receiving TE in the mold of Dallas Clark and Dustin Keller.  Our offense has been too predictable.  It is time to get TE more involved.  We struggled to score in the second half last year.  Take Dennis Pitta if Hernandez is gone.  A blocking TE can be found in the later round to complement this pick.    #48 Vince Oghobaase, DE . 6'6" 305lbs. 36 inch arm.  Smart.  A senior from Duke. This will be viewed a reach in the same way as Stephen Vollmer was viewed last year. Had 165 tackles at Duke as a DT.  Slowed by a leg injury last year.  Has the size and strength to play 3-4 DE.  Also consider Al Woods for this spot.  #53 Eric Decker, WR . 6'3" 217lbs.  Catch the ball well and run a good route.  A gamer.  Check out this paragraph "Decker made a sensational touchdown catch, only to take a shot from an opponent who led with his helmet, resulting in Decker getting stitches under his chin. He refused to leave the game. Prior to the injury, he had one catch for four yards. By the end of the game, his totals were eight receptions for 119 yards and two scores." Foot injury has to be cleared. 
    Posted by TrustBill

Hernandez is showing well at his pro day today.

30 Reps on the bench. Very good.

Nice 40 time as well, low 4.6s.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I've been a backer of Spikes from the get go, but that 4.99 40 at the Florida Pro-Day is disappointing to say the least.........

On the positive side, looks like Hernandez ran a 4.58.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Impressed with Hernandez's time....don't know what Gresham ran, but he did run a 4.73 at the combine. 

I'm starting to rethink my 22 pick and perhaps Hernandez, Gronkowski or Pitta is the way to go here, and pick up a massive blocking TE later in the draft..the problem is, if he pick up a blocking TE that is all he can do, you again become predictable...where as a guy like Gresham, your not sure....is he going block, run a route, etc....gives you less predictability...

What do they say about Hernandez, Growkowsi or Pitta's ability to block as compared to Gresham?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Impressed with Hernandez's time....don't know what Gresham ran, but he did run a 4.73 at the combine.  I'm starting to rethink my 22 pick and perhaps Hernandez, Gronkowski or Pitta is the way to go here, and pick up a massive blocking TE later in the draft..the problem is, if he pick up a blocking TE that is all he can do, you again become predictable...where as a guy like Gresham, your not sure....is he going block, run a route, etc....gives you less predictability... What do they say about Hernandez, Growkowsi or Pitta's ability to block as compared to Gresham?
    Posted by PatsLifer

Of the high profile TE's this year Gronkowski is supposedly the superior blocker but I have no personal visual backing for that. Only what I've read.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

I've been a backer of Spikes from the get go, but that 4.99 40 at the Florida Pro-Day is disappointing to say the least......... On the positive side, looks like Hernandez ran a 4.58.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Glad to see my eyes were not lying when I thought Spikes looked slow on tape. See you guys are talking about nickel defense and the proliferation of passing attacks in the NFL these days. Why I was preaching Weatherspoon as a possible pick, his cover skills are exceptional despite any size limitation. I also remember mentioning the failed Tank Williams experiment, I think Sean would be the guy BB was envisioning there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

For all the guys saying it's OK to draft a QB as a WR you are right but not in the first 6 rounds. The QB who best translates to making the switch is Jim Webb from UAB he was a WR in his first year at UAB and he runs a low 4.4 40 and he also had decent numbers catching the ball. I don't know much about Armanti Edwards.Asher77 you are right about the fluidity of Weatherspoon he has a fluid hip motion so his covering of a TE won't be a problem. Someone mentioned Maurkice Pouncey as a possible draft choice and i would never say never where BB is concerned as he likes drafting the big uglies early and late...If anyone has seen the Florida workout let all us poor souls who haven't seen anything know the scoop..I'm interested in players like Gordy Nelson,Riley Cooper,Stampen,Cunninham and of course Tim Tebow...I already knew that Haden was faster than the time he ran at the combine and I also knew that Spikes was slower than everyone thought he was,he at this point in time is a ILB.
    I don't care to much about Dunlop unless I'm the bartender at his favorite drinking establishment...