2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

Gronskwski gives you the total package of blocking and receiving.  But he has a back injury.  Still can't work out after a whole year off.  I think a bad back is trickier than a torn ACL.
    I would draft a pass-rusher ahead of a pass-catcher because the need for the former is greater.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    Impressed with Hernandez's time....don't know what Gresham ran, but he did run a 4.73 at the combine.  I'm starting to rethink my 22 pick and perhaps Hernandez, Gronkowski or Pitta is the way to go here, and pick up a massive blocking TE later in the draft..the problem is, if he pick up a blocking TE that is all he can do, you again become predictable...where as a guy like Gresham, your not sure....is he going block, run a route, etc....gives you less predictability... What do they say about Hernandez, Growkowsi or Pitta's ability to block as compared to Gresham?
    Posted by PatsLifer

I think Anthony Mcoy would be a great pick up, he is known as a blocker and it is his strength but his pass catching skills are under appreciated. This guy can catch the ball and he is not slow, he will run over smaller DB's in the NFL and that is just fun to watch. May be able to get him in the third round giving us the option to trade down and still get our TE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Current list of Draft eligible players being associated with the Patriots. http://bit.ly/boKUEG

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/live-blog-tebow-pro-day-at-florida-031710

Get some tebow action, sounds like he did really well.  Let the talks begin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Glad to see my eyes were not lying when I thought Spikes looked slow on tape. See you guys are talking about nickel defense and the proliferation of passing attacks in the NFL these days. Why I was preaching Weatherspoon as a possible pick, his cover skills are exceptional despite any size limitation. I also remember mentioning the failed Tank Williams experiment, I think Sean would be the guy BB was envisioning there.
    Posted by Asher77

I'm as high on Spikes as anyone, but if this kid really ran a 5.02 and 5.08 as reported, I'm not touching him in the first two rounds.  4.8 is one thing, but over 5.0 is unacceptable to me, good instincts or not.

I'll take AJ Edds in Rd 4.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Kam Chancellor to work out for Pat's....later this month:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Chancellor-works-out-for-the-Chiefs.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

Sounds like Patten is anxious to begin working with TB, I hope they spark the old majic. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots Sounds like Patten is anxious to begin working with TB, I hope they spark the old majic. 
    Posted by Pats7393

My money is on him not making the team if I am being honest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : My money is on him not making the team if I am being honest.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ
    If the only options are Edelman,Tate,Aikens and Stansback I'll put my money on Patten.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Earl Thomas to work out for the Pat's:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Earl-Thomas-to-work-out-for-Patriots.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Earl Thomas to work out for the Pat's: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Earl-Thomas-to-work-out-for-Patriots.html
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Interesting. The last 'need' they have is safety at this point. Smokescreen or just for information gathering?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Interesting. The last 'need' they have is safety at this point. Smokescreen or just for information gathering?
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Rock,
    While safety doesn't necessarily appear as a big need, their Rd 1 philosophy has generally been, take the best player available regardless of position.  The player that you think can have the biggest impact on your team.  With that being said, they have been with out a ballhawking DB since Asante left and could use an upgrade in that regards.

At the combine, Mayock stated that Thomas could be the most instinctive safety he's seen in the last decade which could be evident by his 8 INT's this year (10 career).

To answer your question, I think it's a little bit of both, they're certainly doing their homework, but the more players you work out at different positions, the harder it is for others to pinpoint who you're targeting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Florida pro day Mcshay's 40 times: Spikes first time up ran a 5.0 then a 5.05 (pretty slow straightline speed) joe haden ran a 4.44 (thats more like it) A. Hernandez ran a 4.61 (very solid) What are your guys thoughts on Spikes's 40 time? http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/2010/03/17/live-florida-pro-day-blog-tim-tebow-does-nothing-while-joe-haden-runs-a-444/
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

Personally, I'm disgusted by Spikes' 40 time, I'm curious if he ran the 3-cone and/or short shuttle to see what his quickness/agility is like, but yeah, 5.0+ is terrible.  I did read this though,

"There was some talk early in the day that Spikes was telling teammates he was struggling with an injury and was undecided about how much of the workout he would complete today.   Sources have also told us that scouts had to prod Spikes to run this morning and told him they needed a time on their sheets before next month’s draft.  There is unconfirmed speculation that Spike will run again in the beginning of April."

On the flip side, I'm pumped about Hernandez's work out as he showed good speed (4.5-4.6 range) quickness (4.1 short shuttle and 6.56 3-cone) strength (30 at 225) and appeared to look great catching the football.  That 3-cone time in particular (if accurate) would have been second overall of any player at the combine while the short shuttle would've placed him first or 2nd among TE's.

Go get him BB!  Bring this kid home to NE!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Rock, While safety doesn't necessarily appear as a big need, their Rd 1 philosophy has generally been, take the best player available regardless of position.  The player that you think can have the biggest impact on your team.  With that being said, they have been with out a ballhawking DB since Asante left and could use an upgrade in that regards. At the combine, Mayock stated that Thomas could be the most instinctive safety he's seen in the last decade which could be evident by his 8 INT's this year (10 career). To answer your question, I think it's a little bit of both, they're certainly doing their homework, but the more players you work out at different positions, the harder it is for others to pinpoint who you're targeting.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I echo that plus I heard that Thomas could play CB which would make him an even hotter commodity.  I doubt he lasts to 22 though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Interesting. The last 'need' they have is safety at this point. Smokescreen or just for information gathering?
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

They are checking him out because in various mocks he has gone in the 17 - 19 range depending on the way the draft could unfold.

To mbeaus point the player has been spoken of VERY highly and has the ability , apparently, to play either safety or corner.

If BB sees him as the 2nd coming of Ed Reed I don't doubt for a second the Patriots would try to trade up 2 or 3 spots to get him. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I echo that plus I heard that Thomas could play CB which would make him an even hotter commodity.  I doubt he lasts to 22 though.
    Posted by Faucetman

I agree, he looks like one of the better overall talents in this class.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Florida pro day Mcshay's 40 times: Spikes first time up ran a 5.0 then a 5.05 (pretty slow straightline speed) joe haden ran a 4.44 (thats more like it) A. Hernandez ran a 4.61 (very solid) What are your guys thoughts on Spikes's 40 time? http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/2010/03/17/live-florida-pro-day-blog-tim-tebow-does-nothing-while-joe-haden-runs-a-444/
    Posted by Patsfan24-7

OUCH!!!  That is very slow indeed.  That's slower than a lot of DTs.  Could help continue his drop.  I thought I read that Spikes had a strained groin or something.  But if healthy, that's too slow to be a high pick even with the good tape.  Have to rethink if he's even worthy of #53.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Posted by Patsfan24-7

If you want a historical response to Spikes 40 time and just how VERY bad it is for him check out this article.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Good comparison of Hernandez to Gresham in regards to strenght/speed/triangle times:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/17/aaron-hernandez-commands-attention-in-gainesville/

Remember, BB generally covets quickness and speed in his receivers/TE's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Have we all forgot about or decided against Mathews at #22?  There has been some rumors floating around that he is on the Pats radar.  Of the elite backs he seems to be the most durable, complete back without the injury concerns.  The Texans are rumored to be all over him at #20 so he might not be there.  However, Spiller is not a lock to go #1 anymore.  Have we considered taking Spiller if he's there at #22 and Mathews is off the board?

Here's a partial report on Mathews from Draft Scout.

Mathews gives no credence to the strategy used by other top-rated backs such as Clemson's C.J. Spiller and Cal's Jahvid Best, who have elected to sit out their pro day after testing well at the combine.

"Why wouldn't I work out?" Mathews said. "I'm a competitor. I did well at the combine, that's fine, but there are some things I know I can do better. I going to run and jump and catch and just do it everything like I did at the combine."

Mathews certainly did do well in Indianapolis.

Some had questioned if Mathews, who led the nation with an average of 150.67 yards per game in 2009, was a bit of a product of Fresno State's system. His backup, senior Lonyae Miller, had also produced when given the opportunity and is rated a sixth-round pick by NFLDraftScout.com. A WAC team with two legitimate NFL running backs?

Mathews impressed when he weighed in at a rock-solid 5-feet-11 5/8 and 218 pounds. He then surprised scouts by being timed as low as 4.37 seconds in his two 40-yard dashes. One scout on site had him timed at 4.41, faster than any other back of his size.

The scout, who works for an NFC team thought to be considering drafting a running back in the early rounds, wasn't surprised. But he thinks he was in the minority.

"I know that some of the other guys at our place were surprised by that [Mathew's speed], but I told them and I told you before I thought he was the best all-around back in this draft," the scout said. "He has the big plays that show game speed, but some guys just want to put a clock on it before they believe it. What really helped him was the burst he showed. He definitely helped himself [at the combine].

The burst the scout referred to stood is evident on many of Mathews' best runs. For a back known for his physicality, Mathews is remarkably explosive to and through the first level of the defense. This burst is quantified by scouts through the 10-yard split that makes up the first "leg" of the 40-yard dash times. Mathews was timed at 1.49 seconds to cover the first 10 yards -- only a hundredth of a second slower than Best, whose 4.34-second time in the 40 led all running backs tested at the 2010 combine.

Mathews' explosiveness came through in another drill -- the broad jump, with his 10-foot, 1-inch measurement the second furthest among running backs.

"I think the big thing was my 40," Mathews said about the reaction he received from NFL personnel and fellow prospects. "I don't think many people thought that I could move like that. I think it not only showed that I was faster than some thought I'd be, but proved some of my work ethic. I've worked hard to prepare for this."

As much as Mathews was looking forward to the running the timed drills, he felt his best performance came later during the running back drills. After all, he'll soon be getting paid to elude defenders and score touchdowns, not race the stopwatch or leap for the measuring tape.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Personally, I'm disgusted by Spikes' 40 time, I'm curious if he ran the 3-cone and/or short shuttle to see what his quickness/agility is like, but yeah, 5.0+ is terrible.  I did read this though, "There was some talk early in the day that Spikes was telling teammates he was struggling with an injury and was undecided about how much of the workout he would complete today.   Sources have also told us that scouts had to prod Spikes to run this morning and told him they needed a time on their sheets before next month’s draft.  There is unconfirmed speculation that Spike will run again in the beginning of April." On the flip side, I'm pumped about Hernandez's work out as he showed good speed (4.5-4.6 range) quickness (4.1 short shuttle and 6.56 3-cone) strength (30 at 225) and appeared to look great catching the football.  That 3-cone time in particular (if accurate) would have been second overall of any player at the combine while the short shuttle would've placed him first or 2nd among TE's. Go get him BB!  Bring this kid home to NE!
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Very nice day for your boy today.

One thing I will put out there for all though is that its pretty much known that pro day 3cone times are almost always faster than the combine times because the strength coaches always use the tiny(short) cones as opposed to the big(tall) ones.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : If you want a historical response to Spikes 40 time and just how VERY bad it is for him check out this article. http://draftace.com/blog/2010/03/17/an-in-depth-look-at-brandon-spikes-draft-stock/
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Wow.  Unless he's injured I have to drop him to the 6th round on my board.  God, I was faster than that when I was his age.  The article is hard to argue with.  You don't want a 5.0 or slower LB on your team. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Tebow apparently bombed too.  Did little to nothing to improve his stock.  Shame.  Great kid.  Article I read suggested he won't make it as an NFL QB.  Did anyone hear how Hughes did at his pro day?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Tebow apparently bombed too.  Did little to nothing to improve his stock.  Shame.  Great kid.  Article I read suggested he won't make it as an NFL QB.  Did anyone hear how Hughes did at his pro day?
    Posted by Faucetman

Well that's the NFL machine for you.

I have no idea what the future holds for Teabow but...

We all know what round Brady went in and what they said about him. 
    Concerns about Brees height.
    Flutie was too short.
    Welker to small and slow, not invited to combine.
    Vollmer not invited to combine.
    Guyton not drafted.
    Hoyer not drafted even though his receiving corps had the most drops of any team in college the year he came out. That always told me he was very accurate.

Anyway that was just a very small list. The historical list of complete and utter blunders by the scouting community is baffling when you think about it.

So who knows... I have no idea. Wish him the best and much luck but not here in NE unless it's very late after we fill our needs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I'm as high on Spikes as anyone, but if this kid really ran a 5.02 and 5.08 as reported, I'm not touching him in the first two rounds.  4.8 is one thing, but over 5.0 is unacceptable to me, good instincts or not. I'll take AJ Edds in Rd 4.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07
    That whole crew of LB's out in Iowa were monsters of the midway,Angerer and Edds combined for 10 interceptions very well coached ballplayers,two more guys from the Tree of Belichick.. Ferentz's kid is on staff with the Patriots as a scouting intern. Of course that also means that McDaniels and Weis and Mangina have access to those same coaches,so you can be pretty much assured that if BB likes a player that the satelite teams will have the same access to the information that BB gets by having forged good relationships with those Coaches Ferentz,Saban,Hill and Meyers...