2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

There is a distinct possibility that Gresham last to us at #44.  For some reason I thought we were picking behind Denver at 45 but we are ahead of Denver.  If Gresham gets out of the first round he could slide awhile since the lower picking teams in the second rounds don't need a TE and have many other needs.  I posted the below earlier.  Can you imagine us landing the best TE at 44?

#26 ARI (higher needs are QB, OT, OLB)
    #28 SD (higher needs are RB, DT, CB, S)
    #32 NO (higher needs are OT, OLB but this team is stacked and at #32, Gresham would be a great value pick.  This is the first place besides us at #22 that I think he could go)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    There is a distinct possibility that Gresham last to us at #44.  For some reason I thought we were picking behind Denver at 45 but we are ahead of Denver.  If Gresham gets out of the first round he could slide awhile since the lower picking teams in the second rounds don't need a TE and have many other needs.  I posted the below earlier.  Can you imagine us landing the best TE at 44? #26 ARI (higher needs are QB, OT, OLB) #28 SD (higher needs are RB, DT, CB, S) #32 NO (higher needs are OT, OLB but this team is stacked and at #32, Gresham would be a great value pick.  This is the first place besides us at #22 that I think he could go)
    Posted by Faucetman

What about the Ravens, Browns and Bengals?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Although I love Pouncey and still think he's the safest and smartest move for us at #22, I can't ignore bigger needs and conventional wisdom that suggests we need to fix our pass rush.  Based also on other team needs, there may not be a TE taken in the first round.  If not, the path is clear for Gresham to slide all the way down to us.  I would worry that Denver would make a move to jump ahead of us knowing we'd take him at #44 but for fun, let's not worry about that now.  So, here is my latest.

#22 DE/OLB Brandon Graham
    #44 TE Jermaine Gresham
    #48 DT Tyson Alualu
    #53 RB Toby Gerhart
    4th WR Andre Roberts
    6th OG Marshall Newhouse
    7th-a MLB Brandon Spikes
    7th-b TE Nate Byham
    7th-comp WR Emanual Sanders

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Faucet, that would be a heck of a draft. I also would not be shocked if Gresham dropped to #44. His lack of top end speed and quickness drops him out of the 1st Rd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

No excitement about Carlos Dunlap yet after the pro day?   He won't last to #22 anyway.

" No matter the character issues or the questions about his intensity, it's hard for teams to pass on a 6-6, 280-pound end with 40 times of 4.57 and 4.59 on a wet field."  SportingNews.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

No excitement about Carlos Dunlap yet after the pro day?   He won't last to #22 anyway. " No matter the character issues or the questions about his intensity, it's hard for teams to pass on a 6-6, 280-pound end with 40 times of 4.57 and 4.59 on a wet field."  SportingNews.com
    Posted by TrustBill

Holy crap, this slug ran a 4.57? Watching him he looks like a complete bust waiting to happen, but with numbers like that someone will take him early. Hope it's not us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

In the spirit of debate, I would like to throw in this following mock draft:

#22: Brandon Graham - DE/OLB. I wasn't entirely sold on Graham a few weeks ago, but after spending some time analyzing tape and scouting reports, I think that Graham would be terriffic for the Pats. I know Belichick has traditionaly placed a premium on taller OLBs, but keep this in mind: the only OLB over 6' 3" that Belichick has drafted was Shawn Crable (6' 5"). Everyone else was inherited from the Pete Carroll era. Recently, it seems as though Belichick has "lowered his standards" in regards to a hieght requirement for OLBs (both Thomas and Banta-Cain are 6' 2"). Enter Brandon Graham. He has the speed to play coverage in a 3-4, but his overwhelming value is as a pass rusher. In a few years time, we may be hearing "Brandon Graham" and "top rushers in the league" in the same sentence. He's that good.

#44: Jermaine Gresham - TE. I think people have forgotten just how good Gresham was the year before last. His stats from his last year are: 66 rec, 950 yrds, 14 TDs. For a tight end, that is awesome. I remember watching him in both the Red River Game and the game against Texas Tech. Gresham is a terror for anyone to play against, especially in the red zone. Imagine what Brady could do with a TE that can do something besides run really fast.

#48: Damian Williams - WR. When I saw Damain Williams projected as a second-rounder, I was a bit surprised. I know his 40 time was nothing to gawk at, but Williams could provide the solid outside threat that the Pats lacked last year. When Moss and Welker were covered, who was going to make the catch, Sam Aiken? Williams has great hands, and should definitely provide Brady with another downfield, sure handed threat.

#53: Lamarr Houston - DE/DT. Finally, the Patriots find a replacement for Big Sey. Personally, I think this guy had a lot to do with the success of Sergio Kindle. He may not be as tall as Richard Seymour (Houston is only 6'3", if I'm not mistaken), but he has the bulk (304 lbs) to take Jarvis Green's place on the line. Houston is known for his tremendous strength, but he also has a set of wheels on him, running a 4.88 at the combine (keep in mind that Seymour ran roughly a 5.00 at his combine). In addition to stoutness against the run, Houston excells as a pass rusher, something niether Ty Warren nor Vince Wilfork excell at.

4th: Ben Tate - RB. Tate was a bit of a surprise at the combine, running a 4.45 in the 40 yard dash. Speed and ellusiveness aren't Tate's only weapons, however. At 5'11", 219 lbs, Tate has the size to plow over tacklers, something Maroney only seems to do to DBs only half his size.

More to come. What do you guys think?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Very nice day for your boy today. One thing I will put out there for all though is that its pretty much known that pro day 3cone times are almost always faster than the combine times because the strength coaches always use the tiny(short) cones as opposed to the big(tall) ones.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Good info, though the net of things is he still appears to be quicker, faster and stronger than most at his position.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I've been wondering what's been keeping Hernandezs' draft stock down or rather stuck more in neutral. I mean his game film is good and his workouts are very good as well.

After listening to Mayock's review of the Florida Pro Day Hernandez apparently has some off field issues.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Good info, though the net of things is he still appears to be quicker, faster and stronger than most at his position.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Oh yeah no question. 

That bit about the 3cone was a generalization for ALL pro day times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I've been wondering what's been keeping Hernandezs' draft stock down or rather stuck more in neutral. I mean his game film is good and his workouts are very good as well. After listening to Mayock's review of the Florida Pro Day Hernandez apparently has some off field issues.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

First I've heard about the off-field stuff, though I did find this, which only talks about him having a hard time with the passing of his father:

http://www.zimbio.com/Football/articles/fGBseaetzim/Gator+Aaron+Hernandez+Wears+Heart+Arm

I'll keep looking, but it looks like only Mike Mayock knows of said off the field issues, would've been nice for him to elaborate.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : First I've heard about the off-field stuff, though I did find this, which only talks about him having a hard time with the passing of his father: http://www.zimbio.com/Football/articles/fGBseaetzim/Gator+Aaron+Hernandez+Wears+Heart+Arm I'll keep looking, but it looks like only Mike Mayock knows of said off the field issues, would've been nice for him to elaborate.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

He threw it out there at the end of the "mixed signals" video on the NFL home page.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Holy crap, this slug ran a 4.57? Watching him he looks like a complete bust waiting to happen, but with numbers like that someone will take him early. Hope it's not us.
    Posted by mthurl

9 sacks in 2009. 9.5 sacks in 2008. Not too shaby when you consider the level of talent in SEC.  He won't past the Dolphins at 12.  Parcels is not afraid of head-cases.  Neither is Belichick, who turned around the careers of Moss and Dillon.  Truly disruptive playmakers on DL are rare.  There are only a few like Mario Williams and Julius Peppers.  That's it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

I know SPikes had a terrible pro day, but he drops all the way to the 7th round?....Do you think his terrible 40 time affects his stock that much?

Otherwise, I like your latest. I too think Gresham could slip to us at 44, and if he and Hernandez are both on the board at that spot, I'm taking Gresham. 

I was with you on the Gerhart pick, but am reconsidering. I think I would wait until round 4, and draft Ben Tate. I like Tate's combination of size and speed...he can run with a physical style, catch the ball out of the backfield and a decent blocker. So, my latest mock would be a combo of faucet and theCommittees...with

1-Graham
    2a-Gresham
    2b-Alualu
    2c-?
    4 - BTate

The one I am trying to fill right now is the 2c spot. I like DWilliams or DThomas as a WR, or could wait until later rounds as suggested here. 

With all the talk about Kam Chancellor, I think he could be had in the 2nd round. Just, as I look at him, 6'4", 230lbs, where do you put him with our plethora of safeties?....move merriweather to nickel, trade McGowan, we still have Sanders & Chung....seems awfully crowded back there. 

Same when we I think about adding DHouston in round 2..seems like we have an over abundance of Dlinemen....sure, and upgrade is necessary, but how many can we have at that spot?....

Perhaps take another LB...I think Misi would be nice to have with our 3rd, 2nd rounder....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I wanted to touch on a few more points from the Florida Pro-Day

*I think Riley Cooper is firmly on their board as well after head measured in at about 6-4 219 and showed good quickness, lateral agility and explosion posting a 4.15 short shuttle and 6.73 in the 3 cone.  He's probably a 4th round option.

*A late round option at WR could be David Nelson 6-5 217, 4.07 SS and 6.74 3C, with a 38 inch vert. 

*Jermaine Cunningham was again unable to work out due to injury.

*A fun fact: Hernandez did more reps at 225 than Pouncey (30 to 26)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : http://www.nfl.com/ He threw it out there at the end of the "mixed signals" video on the NFL home page.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I watched this segment, but they only seemed to discuss Tebow?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

NE one of 5 teams expected to have a private work out with Tebow:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/18/five-teams-will-take-a-closer-look-at-tebow/

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : What about the Ravens, Browns and Bengals?
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

As I mentioned, I don't think a TE goes in the first round unless we take one at #22.  Teams needing a TE in the first round after our #22 are:

26 ARI
    28 SD
    29 NYJ
    32 NO

If you want to add BAL even though they have Todd Heap, they pick at 25.  All of these teams have higher needs with players rated higher than Gresham likely available.  Cleveland just signed Ben Watson and shelled out some decent coin to get him.  They have so many other needs that I don't see them taking a TE at 38.  There are no teams picking between 32 and us at 44 that are in dire need of a TE.  All I'm saying is that the path is potentially clear for Gresham to slip to us at 44.  Even if someone takes him as a BPA pick, we for sure will have our choice to pick the second best TE. 

Therefore, I think our selection at 44 is Gresham.  If he's gone I think we wait until 53 or the 4th round to land one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

No excitement about Carlos Dunlap yet after the pro day?   He won't last to #22 anyway. " No matter the character issues or the questions about his intensity, it's hard for teams to pass on a 6-6, 280-pound end with 40 times of 4.57 and 4.59 on a wet field."  SportingNews.com
    Posted by TrustBill

I think Dunlap will likely be there at #22.  Although he has tremendous physical tools he appears to take plays off and there's of course the off-the-field problems.  Granted he's only 20 and should mature and hopefully be more responsible but to take a chance on him this high and risk that he will be a problem is too great and not worth the reward IMO.  Personally, I'd pass on him even though he's at a position of need with tremendous upside.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

IMHO i really believe the best place for Tebow is NE, Tebow just needs to learn to throw, and who would he have to teach him? arguely the best QB in the luege today, give him a year and watch and see, to many ppl are talking bad about him, and when he turns out to be a super bowl mvp people are going to be pinching themselves, Tebow has everything but the throw, why cant brady help him along with it? id have no problem if the Pats used there #53 pick to get him, im crossing my fingers, hope to see him in a pats uniform!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I watched this segment, but they only seemed to discuss Tebow?
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Maybe you stopped watching it before the end?

Mayock goes on to talk about the other Florida players and Hernandez was last and spoke highly of him and simply ended saying he has some off field issues.

He did not elaborate.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Maybe you stopped watching it before the end? Mayock goes on to talk about the other Florida players and Hernandez was last and spoke highly of him and simply ended saying he has some off field issues. He did not elaborate.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

I watched the whole thing, was 4 min long, I haven't found anything on him outside of having trouble coping with the death of his father. 

If you or anyone knows more, please let me know.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I watched the whole thing, was 4 min long, I haven't found anything on him outside of having trouble coping with the death of his father.  If you or anyone knows more, please let me know.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

Sorry My friend.

I gave you the wrong video to watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

If any of you are interested I put together a new article comparing the Patriots Offensive Line to some of the other Playoff teams from this past season.

You can check it out here.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, I know SPikes had a terrible pro day, but he drops all the way to the 7th round?....Do you think his terrible 40 time affects his stock that much? Otherwise, I like your latest. I too think Gresham could slip to us at 44, and if he and Hernandez are both on the board at that spot, I'm taking Gresham.  I was with you on the Gerhart pick, but am reconsidering. I think I would wait until round 4, and draft Ben Tate. I like Tate's combination of size and speed...he can run with a physical style, catch the ball out of the backfield and a decent blocker. So, my latest mock would be a combo of faucet and theCommittees...with 1-Graham 2a-Gresham 2b-Alualu 2c-? 4 - BTate The one I am trying to fill right now is the 2c spot. I like DWilliams or DThomas as a WR, or could wait until later rounds as suggested here.  With all the talk about Kam Chancellor, I think he could be had in the 2nd round. Just, as I look at him, 6'4", 230lbs, where do you put him with our plethora of safeties?....move merriweather to nickel, trade McGowan, we still have Sanders & Chung....seems awfully crowded back there.  Same when we I think about adding DHouston in round 2..seems like we have an over abundance of Dlinemen....sure, and upgrade is necessary, but how many can we have at that spot?.... Perhaps take another LB...I think Misi would be nice to have with our 3rd, 2nd rounder....
    Posted by PatsLifer

I probably shouldn't drop Spikes as far as I did.  Rumor is Spikes had a tight hammy and will likely run again before the draft.  If he breaks 4.9 he might stay in the 2nd to 4th range.  But, he appears to be a 2 down MLB now.  I'm reminded that Chris Spielman wasn't very fast either but he did ok.  The question remains, how high do you take a slow 2 down MLB?  Would we take him at 53, in the 4th?  I just don't know or think he's someone the Pats are looking at now.  That Pats have been all about getting faster on Defense.  They took Mayo and signed Guyton, two of the fastest three LBs in their draft class.  The DBs they've draft of late all have decent speed.

Sections
Shortcuts