2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

What I would do if these players were available at the places I need them to be. And it is at least plausable if not likely they will be.

(All Picks Traded using the Draft Value Chart)

1st Round: Trade #22 and #44 for Denvers pick at #11...selection: CJ Spiller RB, he is obviously the top RB available and then there is a sizeable drop off in impact in my opinion behind him because this kid is a 3 down back because of his running and pass catching abilities and could also be a part of the mix on returns... he is MONEY in a Patriots Uniform with Brady passing to him.

2nd Round: #48...selection: Alex Carrington, DE, For those that don't know about him he played at Arkansas State. He has the ability to get to the quarterback while Shutting down the run. His ability to keep blockers off him with his excellent hands helps out his fast first step on pass rushing as well as run blocking.

2nd Round: #53...trade the pick to Cleveland (they have 3 3rd round picks) for their pick at #71 in the 3rd round and their pick from Tampa Bay in the 5th round (they have 4 picks in the 5th).

3rd Round: #71 from cleveland...selection: Roger Saffold, OT, Played for Indiana and was a standout on their line. Very smart can play anywhere along the line  has great technique and athleticism.

Not all compensatories  awarded yet so actuall # of pick unknown. 

4th Round: #?...selection: Tony Moeaki, TE from Iowa who is the best TE on the board but will likely slide due to injury (Concussion issue). He is a great blocking TE with receiving skills strong enough to be a factor as an outlet for Brady.

5th Round: #? Tampa Bays pick from Cleveland trade so it is very early 5th...selection: Phillip Dillard, ILB from Nebraska who some will say benefited from Ndamukong Suh's play. He would be picked higher but he has slipped some due to he played in 9 games in 2009 missing the first two to injury and that was one more game then he played in the rest of his college career due to an ACL in 2006 and an Ankle in 2008. He did have the second most tackles on the team behind Suh (83) and despite his lack of playing time over his career he was a leader on the team.  He is also very smart which we all know the Patriots love and I think he would do nicely with Wilfork infront of him and Mayo by his side.

6th Round: #?...selection: Brian Jackson CB, played for Oklahoma and at 6'1" 202 lbs and runs a 4.65. He has size to play the run and does so well and also has the size to help out on the TE's and large WR's in the NFL. He has also been talked about as a possible convert to Safety.

7th Round: #?...selection: Zoltan Mesko P, who played for Michigan. He may be gone here as some have him a mid 6th round pick. Zoltan has the bigger leg but Boone has the better inside the 20 percentage due in part to his directional punting style. Either way they have to get a Punter out of this draft in my opinion.

Patriots awarded 4 compensatories in 7th round)
    7th round Compensatory pick... why not bring in two punters? you are bound to end up with one capable of punting well in the NFL and it is a compensatory so even if you end up cutting a Punter that can play so what and a competition is good, and you might be able to trade one for a pick next year if they both work out.

Use the other three to bring in whoever is at the top of your board at the time you pick.

If this was anywhere close to the draft they have I would be very happy but there are so many varriables it is impossible to guess any pick let alone the whole draft as we know of it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I am not ruling out us taking a play maker at #22.  The obvious choices are:

RB Jahvid Best - think they will pass due to concussion history
    RB Ryan Mathews - another Maroney type back with better hands but like Maroney didn't face elite competition.  Doubt he makes it past Houston at #20 anyway since they are rumored to be in love with him.
    WR Golden Tate - If ATL doesn't take him at #19, he's likely there
    WR Demaryius Thomas - If ATL doesn't take him at #19 he's likely there
    TE Jermaine Gresham - I think it's 50/50 he slides to us at #44 anyway so why take him this high?

Benn ran a 4.38 - 4.44 at his Pro Day, this will likely move him back to the middle of the 2nd round.  Given BB's history of not drafting WRs in the first and the depth of good ones rated all around where we are picking in the 2nd and again the 4th, I think he passes on Tate and Thomas at #22.  If he studies other team needs and trends, I think he passes on Gresham at #22 too even though it's a huge need and he has a history of drafting TEs in the first.  But, if he feels one of those several teams needing a TE picking behind us will take Gresham and he's the one TE Belichick loves, I would not be shocked if he took him.

The two big play backs I think we will pass on.  First because I don't think Mathews will be there and second I think Best while attractive is too risky with his injured past.

So, I think the chances of drafting a big play maker at #22 are small.  He could have taken Percy Harvin last year.  It was rumored he liked him but we traded back then out.  I look for us to possibly trade back and out again trying to land a high 2nd and a 3rd.

So, the choices appear to be Odrick, Graham, Kindle or Pouncey if we stay at #22.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

faucet,

If Spikes is being classified as a 2 down MLB, then I don't think he is of extreme value to the Pats in round 2...for some reason he slips all the way to round 4, I might take a look at him. 
    I think there are LB's with siginficantly more value to the Pats based on where they are...guys mbealieu and others have brought up from time to time like Misi, Weatherspoon, Cunningham, Edds, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    In the spirit of debate, I would like to throw in this following mock draft: #22: Brandon Graham - DE/OLB . I wasn't entirely sold on Graham a few weeks ago, but after spending some time analyzing tape and scouting reports, I think that Graham would be terriffic for the Pats. I know Belichick has traditionaly placed a premium on taller OLBs, but keep this in mind: the only OLB over 6' 3" that Belichick has drafted was Shawn Crable (6' 5"). Everyone else was inherited from the Pete Carroll era. Recently, it seems as though Belichick has "lowered his standards" in regards to a hieght requirement for OLBs (both Thomas and Banta-Cain are 6' 2"). Enter Brandon Graham. He has the speed to play coverage in a 3-4, but his overwhelming value is as a pass rusher. In a few years time, we may be hearing "Brandon Graham" and "top rushers in the league" in the same sentence. He's that good. #44 : Jermaine Gresham - TE . I think people have forgotten just how good Gresham was the year before last. His stats from his last year are: 66 rec, 950 yrds, 14 TDs. For a tight end, that is awesome. I remember watching him in both the Red River Game and the game against Texas Tech. Gresham is a terror for anyone to play against, especially in the red zone. Imagine what Brady could do with a TE that can do something besides run really fast. #48: Damian Williams - WR . When I saw Damain Williams projected as a second-rounder, I was a bit surprised. I know his 40 time was nothing to gawk at, but Williams could provide the solid outside threat that the Pats lacked last year. When Moss and Welker were covered, who was going to make the catch, Sam Aiken? Williams has great hands, and should definitely provide Brady with another downfield, sure handed threat. #53: Lamarr Houston - DE/DT . Finally, the Patriots find a replacement for Big Sey. Personally, I think this guy had a lot to do with the success of Sergio Kindle. He may not be as tall as Richard Seymour (Houston is only 6'3", if I'm not mistaken), but he has the bulk (304 lbs) to take Jarvis Green's place on the line. Houston is known for his tremendous strength, but he also has a set of wheels on him, running a 4.88 at the combine (keep in mind that Seymour ran roughly a 5.00 at his combine). In addition to stoutness against the run, Houston excells as a pass rusher, something niether Ty Warren nor Vince Wilfork excell at. 4th: Ben Tate - RB . Tate was a bit of a surprise at the combine, running a 4.45 in the 40 yard dash. Speed and ellusiveness aren't Tate's only weapons, however. At 5'11", 219 lbs, Tate has the size to plow over tacklers, something Maroney only seems to do to DBs only half his size. More to come. What do you guys think?
    Posted by TheCommittee

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

The film is too good on Spikes, I would still take him at 53 and boy would I jump for joy in rd 4 if we got him there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

I would talk with his coaches, his families, his teammates and even his friends at high school to get a real handle of Dunlap as a person. Pease read the interw with his dad about the DUI.  He seems to come from a good family.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/gators-star-defensive-end-carlos-dunlap-an-emotional-98708.html

In any case, the DUI may have cost the guy 20 million bucks already.

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I think Dunlap will likely be there at #22.  Although he has tremendous physical tools he appears to take plays off and there's of course the off-the-field problems.  Granted he's only 20 and should mature and hopefully be more responsible but to take a chance on him this high and risk that he will be a problem is too great and not worth the reward IMO.  Personally, I'd pass on him even though he's at a position of need with tremendous upside.
    Posted by Faucetman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

faucet, If Spikes is being classified as a 2 down MLB, then I don't think he is of extreme value to the Pats in round 2...for some reason he slips all the way to round 4, I might take a look at him.  I think there are LB's with siginficantly more value to the Pats based on where they are...guys mbealieu and others have brought up from time to time like Misi, Weatherspoon, Cunningham, Edds, etc.
    Posted by PatsLifer

I kinda hope it is his hammy and that he's more of a 4.8 type but can't prove it before the draft.  We get him at 53 or cartwheel in the 4th and then he dominates, it would be the steal of the draft.  I agree his tape and instincts are very solid.  I'll be watching to see how much he starts to slip on people's boards.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I am not ruling out us taking a play maker at #22.  The obvious choices are: RB Jahvid Best - think they will pass due to concussion history RB Ryan Mathews - another Maroney type back with better hands but like Maroney didn't face elite competition.  Doubt he makes it past Houston at #20 anyway since they are rumored to be in love with him. WR Golden Tate - If ATL doesn't take him at #19, he's likely there WR Demaryius Thomas - If ATL doesn't take him at #19 he's likely there TE Jermaine Gresham - I think it's 50/50 he slides to us at #44 anyway so why take him this high? Benn ran a 4.38 - 4.44 at his Pro Day, this will likely move him back to the middle of the 2nd round.  Given BB's history of not drafting WRs in the first and the depth of good ones rated all around where we are picking in the 2nd and again the 4th, I think he passes on Tate and Thomas at #22.  If he studies other team needs and trends, I think he passes on Gresham at #22 too even though it's a huge need and he has a history of drafting TEs in the first.  But, if he feels one of those several teams needing a TE picking behind us will take Gresham and he's the one TE Belichick loves, I would not be shocked if he took him. The two big play backs I think we will pass on.  First because I don't think Mathews will be there and second I think Best while attractive is too risky with his injured past. So, I think the chances of drafting a big play maker at #22 are small.  He could have taken Percy Harvin last year.  It was rumored he liked him but we traded back then out.  I look for us to possibly trade back and out again trying to land a high 2nd and a 3rd. So, the choices appear to be Odrick, Graham, Kindle or Pouncey if we stay at #22.
    Posted by Faucetman

Harvin was drafted one slot before their pick so they would've had to trade up to get him.

My thought is, If they had interest in Harvin last year at pick 23, I don't see why they wouldn't have interest in Tate at pick 22 this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

If any of you are interested I put together a new article comparing the Patriots Offensive Line to some of the other Playoff teams from this past season. You can check it out  here.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

So it shows that Koppen and Kaczur are our weak links in the OL, and the fact that the OL is still the second best from the Playoff teams, just shows how good the others are.
    So get a new C and RT and we should be set for years to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from akaitcho. Show akaitcho's posts

Personally I'm beginning to like Kindle and Dunlap at 22.
    Yes they had off the field issues, but c'mon they are still young, and shouldn't be judged by the 2 mistakes they made. They didn't harm anyone, and with Big Vince Mayo and BB around they'll never go that path again.
    Kindle is the only OLB prospect which really fits ins BB's OLB measurement linkings 6-4 and 250+ and Dunlap with his 6-6 277 is even bigger, and don't forget the Urban Meyer connection.
    I would be thrilled to see one of them in the patriots uniform and I think because they dropped due to the off the field issues they have something to prove to the teams which passed on them, and will give 110%.
    What do you want more.

The following is just my personal opinion ;)

And that US Kids can't handle alcohol very well is due to the watery beer and the fact that they'll have to wait till 21, if they would be allowed it with 16 like here in germany, there weren't so many dui cases. They could test it in highschool and then in college they could already handle it. ;)
    And give them the drivers license with 18, then they know how alcohol works and that you can't drink and drive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : So it shows that Koppen and Kaczur are our weak links in the OL, and the fact that the OL is still the second best from the Playoff teams, just shows how good the others are. So get a new C and RT and we should be set for years to come.
    Posted by akaitcho

I agree but at center I think Connoly will do a nice job, at RG the pats draft bussey and I've read they were very impressed during their interviews with him and his abilities on tape.  He was placed on IR last year so we'll have to see how he does this year but I think they want him to be Neal's replacement.

RT is another story, we don't have one (considering Voll as LT).  Need to get one and I would like to see calloway or will baker drafted.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Pats are one of five teams to work out Tebow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Harvin was drafted one slot before their pick so they would've had to trade up to get him. My thought is, If they had interest in Harvin last year at pick 23, I don't see why they wouldn't have interest in Tate at pick 22 this year.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

My bad.  Anyway, I'd take D. Thomas over Tate.  I just think we need a big, tall and fast WR to take over for Moss after this year.  A guy that will command double teams freeing up the shorter routes; a guy that will take Revis as far down the field as possible, is what's needed.

There are a bunch of WRs that can be had later on with similiar make up and skill set to Golden Tate.  Granted, they don't have the production of Tate but considering he had one of the top QBs in the country where other guys, like Thomas, didn't, we don't know if it was Tate who was great or Clausen.  Look at Moss in Oakland compared to Moss in NE.  Sure Moss was reinvigorated when he came to NE but how much of his success was his doing vs. Brady getting him the ball?  Brady just makes everybody so much better, another example being Rache Caldwell.

I'm sure this will prevoke some healthy debate but if I was going to take a play maker at #22 based on the choices I laid out earlier, with the exception of Mathews, I'd take Thomas.  I know he came out of that triple threat offense and is hard to evaluate but what isn't hard to see is how explosive he is, how cleanly he catches the ball and how much separation he gets before and after the catch.  Thomas has a QB that was more of a runner than a passer.  He basically was the entire passing offense for Georgia Tech.  Demaryius Thomas IS THE NEXT RANDY MOSS.  You heard it here first, lol.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I would talk with his coaches, his families, his teammates and even his friends at high school to get a real handle of Dunlap as a person. Pease read the interw with his dad about the DUI.  He seems to come from a good family. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/gators/gators-star-defensive-end-carlos-dunlap-an-emotional-98708.html In any case, the DUI may have cost the guy 20 million bucks already. In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 :
    Posted by TrustBill

To play devils advocate, how much stock would you really put into what his parents say?  They probably aren't going to bad mouth him knowing the earning potential and financial security of 1st round pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm with you faucet...I think DThomas is going to be a stud in the NFL if he lands with a decent QB. I personally would like to see DThomas taken over Tate. I might even take him at 22, depending upon if we believe he comes off the board sooner than 44.

I think he is exactly what the Pats need in terms of size, speed and physicality at the position. At 6'3", 229, he is going to get seperation and is going to be hard to bring down. Put him opposite Moss, with Tate and Edelman in the slot, and I think you have something very interesting there. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : So it shows that Koppen and Kaczur are our weak links in the OL, and the fact that the OL is still the second best from the Playoff teams, just shows how good the others are. So get a new C and RT and we should be set for years to come.
    Posted by akaitcho

What?

Yeah if you want the best guy in the league at every position on your team sure what you said is true. Who has that?

What it shows is the offensive line is fine relative to the league.

Sure Koppen, and Kaczur are not as good as OUR other offensive linemen but they are better than half the leagues starting players at their positions.

The other thing it says is that we have the 2nd best guard tandem in the NFL.

It also showed Neil to grade out higher than Mankins.

What isn't shown their but I did check into is that Connolly does not grade out even close to Neil in his limited time playing when Neil gets hurt.

It shows some obvious things like Vollmer graded out exceptionally in his time filling in for Light.

It shows that Koppen is twice as good at run bocking as he is at pass blocking.

It also shows that I did not have the time or energy to finish breaking down the Offensive Tackle details for run and pass blocking. :)

It however does not allow for context to who each player faced as competition across from them. There is no weighting system for strength of opponent that I could tell.

Bottom line is that collectively the unit grades out very favorably and the 2 weaker players are still as good as or better than half the leagues starters at their respective positions.

When I get some additional time I will put together some other positional groupings to compare with the playoff elites.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : I agree but at center I think Connoly will do a nice job, at RG the pats draft bussey and I've read they were very impressed during their interviews with him and his abilities on tape.  He was placed on IR last year so we'll have to see how he does this year but I think they want him to be Neal's replacement. RT is another story, we don't have one (considering Voll as LT).  Need to get one and I would like to see calloway or will baker drafted.
    Posted by Pats7393

Connolly did not grade out even close to Neil's caliber but it is a very limited sample size. He graded out virtually the same as Koppen but only played 54 snaps in 2009 at center. Koppen played 1099 snaps.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm with you faucet...I think DThomas is going to be a stud in the NFL if he lands with a decent QB. I personally would like to see DThomas taken over Tate. I might even take him at 22, depending upon if we believe he comes off the board sooner than 44. I think he is exactly what the Pats need in terms of size, speed and physicality at the position. At 6'3", 229, he is going to get seperation and is going to be hard to bring down. Put him opposite Moss, with Tate and Edelman in the slot, and I think you have something very interesting there. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

amen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The film is too good on Spikes, I would still take him at 53 and boy would I jump for joy in rd 4 if we got him there.
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon

It would not surprise me if he slides to the 4th or 5th if he doesn't run again with a significantly better time before the draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Kentucky DE Corey Peters to work out for the Pat's:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Corey-Peters-working-out-for-several-teams.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : amen.
    Posted by Faucetman

I won't debate Thomas' size, speed or measurables etc, what I do think will hold him back is his lack of experience in a pro-style offense and the current injury that will keep him from pre-draft work outs. 

With that being said, I'd be happy if NE lands him in the draft, though I still prefer Golden due to his elite production in a pro-style offense, RAC/YAC abilities, versatility and ball skills.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

with McKenzie on the team I don't think even in the 4th the Pats would take him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

As a U Florida fan I've been telling everyone that Spikes is overrated . . . he was slow as an inside linebacker in college and will be slower in the pros . . . he looked good because Florida had a great defensive line.  Dunlop was double teamed on almost every play (Spikes worst game was the one that Dunlop sat out) . . . . I'd take Dunlop in a heart beat, at only 20 years old the kid has a ton of upside.  As good as this class at Florida is (most likely 6-8 guys go in the first 3 rounds), the incoming freshman class has even more talent.  I cannot wait for the blue-orange game on April 10th at the Swamp!  Down here in Florida a high school freshman scored over 40 TD's last year and ran for 200 plus yards in the super bowl . . . kid claims he is going to the U of Florida . . . just like his dad, Fred Taylor!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

mbealuie,

I know you heavily campaigning for GTate and I see your points. Honestly, I would feel comfortable with either him or DThomas, the question becomes where are they selected?
    Is GTate your 22nd pick, or do hope to move up in round 2 to grab him? (I don't think he will last until 44)...Is DThomas your 22nd pick, or same about moving up in round 2, although with his injury, perhaps he could make his way to us at 44....

Be interested in hearing your take on where the 2 might land and the Pats drafting strategy around both.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

As a U Florida fan I've been telling everyone that Spikes is overrated . . . he was slow as an inside linebacker in college and will be slower in the pros . . . he looked good because Florida had a great defensive line.  Dunlop was double teamed on almost every play (Spikes worst game was the one that Dunlop sat out) . . . . I'd take Dunlop in a heart beat, at only 20 years old the kid has a ton of upside.  As good as this class at Florida is (most likely 6-8 guys go in the first 3 rounds), the incoming freshman class has even more talent.  I cannot wait for the blue-orange game on April 10th at the Swamp!  Down here in Florida a high school freshman scored over 40 TD's last year and ran for 200 plus yards in the super bowl . . . kid claims he is going to the U of Florida . . . just like his dad, Fred Taylor!
    Posted by tenace4life

Yeah Freddie's boy is on another level for his age.

Sections
Shortcuts