2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6:
    mbealuie, I know you heavily campaigning for GTate and I see your points. Honestly, I would feel comfortable with either him or DThomas, the question becomes where are they selected? Is GTate your 22nd pick, or do hope to move up in round 2 to grab him? (I don't think he will last until 44)...Is DThomas your 22nd pick, or same about moving up in round 2, although with his injury, perhaps he could make his way to us at 44.... Be interested in hearing your take on where the 2 might land and the Pats drafting strategy around both.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Pats,
    Certainly depends on how things playout on draft day, but I could see Tate going anywhere from the late teens to the early 30's, so if they really want him it makes sense to grab him at 22, unless they have a read what other teams are likely to do and are comfortable trading down a few spots (assuming they have a trade partner).  I don't see him slipping to 44.

Thomas I think is tougher to project draft slot wise because of the reasons I stated earlier.  The lack of a pre-draft work out will likely hurt his draft position and potentially cause him to slide a bit, I think he can probably be had towards the middle of Rd 2, possibly with pick 44 or 48.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

A potential late round-URFA Safety with ideal speed/quickness:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wisconsins-Maragos-has-strong-Pro-Day.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Interesting grades on ex Pats TE's and UFA Crumpler and trade bait Olsen.

Crumpler graded out the best of the bunch overall and is graded very closely to Baker.

Olsen and Watson graded out very poorly overall but very close to each other. Olsen a few points higher than Watson in receiving but much worse in both run and pass blocking.

So it is not surprising IF Baker's release was more about attitude than anything that they looked at Crumpler as he's the similar type of player with a slightly higher grade.

Since the Pats showed absolutely no interest in resigning Watson and him being regarded as a very similar player to Olsen, I can't imagine them having any interest in Olsen as he grades out to be an even less effective blocker than Watson. What you would gain in receptions you would equally lose in blocking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

I'm with you faucet...I think DThomas is going to be a stud in the NFL if he lands with a decent QB. I personally would like to see DThomas taken over Tate. I might even take him at 22, depending upon if we believe he comes off the board sooner than 44. I think he is exactly what the Pats need in terms of size, speed and physicality at the position. At 6'3", 229, he is going to get seperation and is going to be hard to bring down. Put him opposite Moss, with Tate and Edelman in the slot, and I think you have something very interesting there. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Absolutely!!  And he will be a lot cheaper than the $11MM we are paying Moss. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Pats are setting themselves up great for 2011.  They aren't just thinking about 2010.  Like any good business, they have a 3 year plan.  All the guys who were RFA tenders this year plus new ones should mean 400 or so F/As could hit the open market after 2011.  The Pats have 16 of their own F/As.  But only Brady, Mankins and Gostkowski are what I'd consider MUST KEEPS.  We could replace many of the top earning below which I've highlighted in red and save $17MM.  I've added a column with a suggested replacement from the first four rounds of this draft plus current players.  We have two first rounders next year and shoud have cap space to sign 2-3 high profiled guys in 2011. 

PlayerBase SalarySign Bonus2010 PayReplaced with
    R. Moss$6,400,000 $4,750,000 $11,150,000 D. Thomas
    T. Brady$3,500,000 $3,720,000 $7,220,000  
    M. Light$4,500,000  $4,500,000 S. Vollmer
    L. Mankins$3,268,000  $3,268,000  
    F. Taylor$2,000,000 $725,000 $2,725,000 T. Gerhart
    L. Maroney$825,000 $1,077,500 $1,902,500  
    K. Faulk$1,000,000 $1,000,000 $2,000,000  
    S. Gostkowski$1,759,000  $1,759,000  
    S. Morris$900,000 $375,000 $1,275,000 T. Gerhart
    P. Woods$1,176,000  $1,176,000 K. Misi
    B. McGowan$730,000 $125,000 $855,000 K. Chancellor
    E. Alexander$700,000 $62,500 $762,500 B. Spikes
    I. Stanback$545,000  $545,000  
    BJ Green Ellis$470,000  $470,000  
    G. Guyton$470,000  $470,000  
    D. Patten$855,000  $855,000 W. Welker
    $29,098,000 $11,835,000 $40,933,000
    Outgoing$17,261,000 $6,037,500 $23,298,500  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Interesting grades on ex Pats TE's and UFA Crumpler and trade bait Olsen. Crumpler graded out the best of the bunch overall and is graded very closely to Baker. Olsen and Watson graded out very poorly overall but very close to each other. Olsen a few points higher than Watson in receiving but much worse in both run and pass blocking. So it is not surprising IF Baker's release was more about attitude than anything that they looked at Crumpler as he's the similar type of player with a slightly higher grade. Since the Pats showed absolutely no interest in resigning Watson and him being regarded as a very similar player to Olsen, I can't imagine them having any interest in Olsen as he grades out to be an even less effective blocker than Watson. What you would gain in receptions you would equally lose in blocking.
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ

Crumpler is supposed to be a high character guy, I think Baker WAS on of those problem childs and if he was glad he's gone.

I like Alge, since I live in Atlanta I got to see and hear a lot about him and from him, I think he would be a good fit.  I don't think well get a chance to sign him, maybe when the Titans saw the Pats make a move for him they took it a little more serious.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=2139

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/364420-2010-nfl-draft-is-ricky-sapp-a-good-fit-for-new-england-patriots

Not like we haven't been saying this but good article.

Below, interesting list of players

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/364810-educated-speculation-who-will-the-patriots-target-in-april

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Kentucky DE Corey Peters to work out for the Pat's: http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Corey-Peters-working-out-for-several-teams.html
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

This is a guy I've been watching.  He's a 6-7 round prospect but very under rated.  The Pats are checking out players in each round.  Peters would be a nice value pick in the 6th round.  Most years he'd receive a 3rd or 4th round grade.  This doesn't mean the Pats won't take a DT higher, but if they don't get their man higher (assuming they have one), they will look for a guy like Peters later on much as they did with Pryor last year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Pats, Certainly depends on how things playout on draft day, but I could see Tate going anywhere from the late teens to the early 30's, so if they really want him it makes sense to grab him at 22, unless they have a read what other teams are likely to do and are comfortable trading down a few spots (assuming they have a trade partner).  I don't see him slipping to 44. Thomas I think is tougher to project draft slot wise because of the reasons I stated earlier.  The lack of a pre-draft work out will likely hurt his draft position and potentially cause him to slide a bit, I think he can probably be had towards the middle of Rd 2, possibly with pick 44 or 48.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

How about a gentleman's bet?  I'll state that Thomas goes in the first round.  I further think he will be taken before Golden Tate.  Are we on?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

This would be pretty solid.  Best could slide due to his medical history.  Gresham could slide based on team needs and draft order.  Hughes is the best OLB candidate that has a good character.  Saffold is a nice need pick since this will be Light's last year and we don't have a solid back up.  Harbor is a big FB that can open holes and catch out of the back field.  We didn't fill this spot since Evans left.

#22 OLB Jerry Hughes
    #44 TE Jermaine Gresham
    #48 RB Jahvid Best
    #53 OT Rodger Saffold
    4th FB Clay Harbor
    6th DT Corey Peters
    7th TE Nate Byham
    7th WR Emanuel Sanders
    7th ???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/01/early-comp-pick-projections-for-2010.html

4 comp picks in the 4th?  or 3 and 1 in the 6th?  normally I wouldn't get excited about it but there's some talent that will be available that late.  You can find some PR/KRs then and some depth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : How about a gentleman's bet?  I'll state that Thomas goes in the first round.  I further think he will be taken before Golden Tate.  Are we on?
    Posted by Faucetman

We're on!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : This is a guy I've been watching.  He's a 6-7 round prospect but very under rated.  The Pats are checking out players in each round.  Peters would be a nice value pick in the 6th round.  Most years he'd receive a 3rd or 4th round grade.  This doesn't mean the Pats won't take a DT higher, but if they don't get their man higher (assuming they have one), they will look for a guy like Peters later on much as they did with Pryor last year.
    Posted by Faucetman

Indeed, Al Woods from LSU is another SEC kid that interests me, can probably play DE and NT and should atleast be an above average 2 down run stuffer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Looks like Spikes met with BB today:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/18/spikes-will-be-test-case-on-importance-of-forty-times/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Seen a lot of mocks now and we are seen new names in some spots, today the seahawks did something that could possibly help the Pats.  they traded for a QB, this means Clausen will be available and a team in need of a QB will pick him instead of a possible defensive players.  Here's my 1st round mock and who drops because of what happened today.
    #1 Rams-Sam Bradford QB
    #2 Lions-Ndamukong Suh DT
    #3 Bucs-Gerald McCoy DT
    #4 Skins-Russel Okung OT
    #5 Chiefs-Eric Berry S
    #6 Seahawks-Trent Williams OT
    #7 Browns-Jimmy Clausen QB
    #8 Raiders-Who else Bruce Campbell OT
    #9 Bills-Dan Williams, they make a move to 34 need a NT
    #10 Jags-Earl Thomas S
    #11 Broncos-Rolando McClain ILB
    #12 Dolphins-Jason Pierre-Paul hurts me to do this
    #13 49rs-Brian Bulaga OT
    #14 Seahawks-C.J. Spiller RB
    #15 Giants-Joe Haden CB
    #16 Titans- Devin McCourty CB-brothers will be together, twins at the corners 
    #17 49rs-Kyle Wilson CB
    #18 Steelers-Mike Iupati OG
    #19 Falcons-Derrick Morgan DE
    #20 Texans-Kareem Jackson CB
    #21 Bengals-Jermaine Gresham TE
    Players Available -
    OLBs- Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, Everson Griffen 34OLB or DE?, Sean Weatherspoon, Daryl Washington ILB
    DE Carlos Dunlap, Jared Odrick, Brian Price, Tyson Alualu
    S Taylor Mays S, Chad Jones S
    DT/NT Terrence Cody
    WRs Golden Tate, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Damian Williams, Arrelious Benn
    TEsRob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez
    OL Charles Brown T, Maukice Pouncey OG/C
    RB Jahid Best, Jonathan Dwyer
    #22 ??? Who do you take, I have not a clue anymore.  Top five can't narrow it down further Dunlap, Odrick, Demaryius Thomas, Graham, Tate

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Pats73, great breakdown.

I would definitely take Dez Bryant, despite his needing to grow up a little.
    The video on this kid is amazing. Great hands, speed, body control.

Brandon Graham would be my second choice, despite his lack of length. He has the immeasureables, and the production.

I would stay away from Odrick. His video is very average. I would rather have Alualu in the 2nd round.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pats sign Alge.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=NE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

With Crumpler, a blocking TE in the fold, I feel we can wait until the 4th round to grab a recieving TE.  A draft like this would be great IMO:

#22 Brandon Graham-DE/OLB-Michigan
    #44 Tyson Alualu-DE-California
    #48 Damian Williams-WR-USC
    #53 Toby Gerhart-HB-Stanford
    #117 Dennis Pitta-TE-BYU
    Rd 6 Trindon Holliday-WR/KR/PR-LSU
    Rd 7 Ryan D'Imperio-ILB-Rutgers
    Rd 7 Matt Dodge-P-East Carolina

Your Thoughts?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

Seen a lot of mocks now and we are seen new names in some spots, today the seahawks did something that could possibly help the Pats.  they traded for a QB, this means Clausen will be available and a team in need of a QB will pick him instead of a possible defensive players.  Here's my 1st round mock and who drops because of what happened today. #1 Rams-Sam Bradford QB #2 Lions-Ndamukong Suh DT #3 Bucs-Gerald McCoy DT #4 Skins-Russel Okung OT #5 Chiefs-Eric Berry S #6 Seahawks-Trent Williams OT #7 Browns-Jimmy Clausen QB #8 Raiders-Who else Bruce Campbell OT #9 Bills-Dan Williams, they make a move to 34 need a NT #10 Jags-Earl Thomas S #11 Broncos-Rolando McClain ILB #12 Dolphins-Jason Pierre-Paul hurts me to do this #13 49rs-Brian Bulaga OT #14 Seahawks-C.J. Spiller RB #15 Giants-Joe Haden CB #16 Titans- Devin McCourty CB-brothers will be together, twins at the corners  #17 49rs-Kyle Wilson CB #18 Steelers-Mike Iupati OG #19 Falcons-Derrick Morgan DE #20 Texans-Kareem Jackson CB #21 Bengals-Jermaine Gresham TE Players Available - OLBs - Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, Everson Griffen 34OLB or DE?, Sean Weatherspoon, Daryl Washington ILB DE Carlos Dunlap, Jared Odrick, Brian Price, Tyson Alualu S Taylor Mays S, Chad Jones S DT/NT  Terrence Cody WRs Golden Tate, Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, Damian Williams, Arrelious Benn TEs Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez OL  Charles Brown T, Maukice Pouncey OG/C RB Jahid Best, Jonathan Dwyer #22 ??? Who do you take, I have not a clue anymore.  Top five can't narrow it down further Dunlap, Odrick, Demaryius Thomas, Graham, Tate
    Posted by Pats7393

The scenario you laid out is very reasonable to me.  I will only two changes.  I think Bills have to take an OT in Bulaga.  They traded away their OT Peters last year and they can a NT in the second round like Cody or Cam Thomas.  And then Broncos will take Dan Williams.

This allow Rolando McClain slide to #17 San Fran.  We can then trade up to 17 and grab McClain before the Steelers.  Obviously SF does not need McClain with Willis at ILB.  This gets me very excited.  It is quite reasonable.  McClain already knows our defense.  Mabybe he can play OLB and ILB just like Vrable.

His is my dream draft after we trade #22 and #53 for SF's #17 and #79.

#17 Rolando McClain
    #44 Carlos Dunlap
    #47 Aron Hernendaz
    #79 Jonathan Dwyer

Lord, Make it happen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Your Dream Draft of Patriots 22 and 53 for SF's 17 is reasonable but I have a friend who I mentioned on here a week ago that said Patriots had Crumpler done but he wanted to give Tenn chance to match and he wasn't able to do a story at that time due to he couldn't find a second source or one highly placed source that made him comfortable with the story a week ago... Anyway at the same time he said the Patriots and Denver have been talking a lot and Denver would like to move out of the 11th pick as they have several needs and that the Patriots have an intrest in CJ SPiller if he is still there at 11. To get to 11 it costs the Patriots #22 and #44. I could see it happening now that the Crumpler deal has finally come to light.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Your Dream Draft of Patriots 22 and 53 for SF's 17 is reasonable but I have a friend who I mentioned on here a week ago that said Patriots had Crumpler done but he wanted to give Tenn chance to match and he wasn't able to do a story at that time due to he couldn't find a second source or one highly placed source that made him comfortable with the story a week ago... Anyway at the same time he said the Patriots and Denver have been talking a lot and Denver would like to move out of the 11th pick as they have several needs and that the Patriots have an intrest in CJ SPiller if he is still there at 11. To get to 11 it costs the Patriots #22 and #44. I could see it happening now that the Crumpler deal has finally come to light.  
    Posted by DaBlade

Wow, 22 and 44 for Spiller.  Very tantalizing idea. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

With Crumpler, a blocking TE in the fold, I feel we can wait until the 4th round to grab a recieving TE.  A draft like this would be great IMO: #22 Brandon Graham-DE/OLB-Michigan #44 Tyson Alualu-DE-California #48 Damian Williams-WR-USC #53 Toby Gerhart-HB-Stanford #117 Dennis Pitta-TE-BYU Rd 6 Trindon Holliday-WR/KR/PR-LSU Rd 7 Ryan D'Imperio-ILB-Rutgers Rd 7 Matt Dodge-P-East Carolina Your Thoughts?
    Posted by titletownfan

i havent frequented this thread just because its so long, but i like this draft. it covers all the needs of the team.  maybe instead of trindon holliday, we could pick up a CB project kind of guy, but other than that i really like this group of guys, hope we can make it happen.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I am sure I am in the minority, but 22 and 44 to get Spiller, I would not want that.  In this draft, I want all of our first 5 picks taken by us for us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The article cracks me up. Why wouldn't they be interested. Doesn't mean thet're interested in round 2. All the teams meet even with players at pro days they might not take until round 7 so why not meet with a guy expected to go somewhere between 3-5.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrustBill. Show TrustBill's posts

In Response to Re: 2010 Mock Rounds 1-6 : Wow, 22 and 44 for Spiller.  Very tantalizing idea. 
    Posted by Faucetman

I wouldn't do that.  I would draft DE or OLB first before I even think about the offense.  Offense is sexy.  But here is a reminder how bad our defense was last year:  We had a 17 points lead in the fourth quqter over the Colts and still lost.  And Baltimore beat us when their QB passed a total of 34 yards. We knew the run was coming but still could not stop it.