2010 NFL Draft Thread #1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: 2010 NFL Draft Thread #1

Important Note To ALL:

RE: Draft Order

~Now, at first glance, it appears that N.E. has the 22nd pick of Round 1.  As We know, Draft Order for any and all Playoff teams is determined not by Regular Season Wins, BUT by Playoff Elimination Sequence (then it goes W-L's).  The Bengals, at this moment according to Walterfootball.com's 7-Round Draft Order are @ Pick #21 in Round 1...YET, Cincy has the same number of Regular Season Wins as does the Pats, @ 10-6.  NOW, I'm not sure (perhaps zbellino-this forum's draft guru can help us here)-IF the sequence of whether N.E. will be @ #21 OR #22, Is determined by a coin-flip (unless that's just for non-playoff teams with the same regular season records), OR If the final Draft Seating is determined by Opponent's Strength of Schedule...  So, I did some homework, and found out that The Cincinatti Bengal's Opponents had a Total Win Percentage of 49% (I believe), and that The New England Patriot's Opponents had a Total Win Percentage of 53%. 

~NOW at first glance again, This would mean N.E. would have the 21st pick of Round 1 and Cincinatti would have the 22nd...Yet, I'm further unsure about whether or not the Strength of Schedule factor is determined at the end of the season or through the S.O.S. at the beginning (as We ALL saw was a factor in The Miami Dolphins winning the division last year, even though we had the same record & a harder schedule after it was tallied at the end of the season).

Either way however, N.E. WILL have either the 22nd OR 21st Pick of Round 1...  THEN In Round 2, Teams that have the same W-L Record Totals, end up switching places in regards to who picked first in the previous rounds (EX: IF N.E. ends up having the 22nd pick of Round 1, and Cinci gets that 21st pick...Then in Round 2, N.E. will pick before Cinci, having the 21st (53rd) of Round 2 and Cinci will have the 22nd (54th) of Round 2)...

So THIS will be The New England Patriots Draft Order:

Round 1: 22nd (or 21st)
    Round 2: 12th (11th or 10th*)
    *N.E. has Jacksonville's Pick, Jax have the same record as Miami and Chicago, So therefore whichever of these teams wins the 3-way coin flip, and gets the higher 1st round selection will then be rotated in Round 2 (1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd, 3rd-1st)
    Round 2: 16th (or 15th*)
    *N.E. has Tennessee's Pick, Ten has the same record as Carolina, So therefore whichever of these teams wins the 2-way coin flip, and gets the higher 1st round selection will then be rotated in Round 2 (1st-2nd, 2nd-1st)
    Round 2: 21st (or 22nd)
    *N.E.'s own pick will be rotated with Cincy's in that, IF Cincy has the higher Round 1 selection, N.E. will have the higher Round 2 selection & vice-versa
    Round 4: 21st (or 22nd*)
    *N.E. does not have a Round 3 Selection (Oak-Derrick Burgess trade), So therefore the rotation with Cincy for Round 4, Skips back to N.E. selecting before Cincy does (IF Cincy has picked before N.E. in rd 1, if not-N.E. will be @ 22nd in rds 2 & 4)
    Round 6: 21st (or 22nd*)
    *N.E. does not have a Round 5 Selection (Tampa-Alex Smith trade), So therefore the rotation with Cincy for Round 6, Skips back to N.E. selecting before Cincy does (again-IF Cincy has picked before N.E. in rd 1, if not-N.E. will be @ 22nd in rds 2, 4, & 6)
    Round 7: 22nd (or 21st*)
    *all-dependant on rd 1 switch with Cincy...IF N.E. is @ 22nd of rd 1, then N.E. will pick in the non-paranthesised spots I've paraphrased, But IF N.E. is @ 21st of rd 1, then N.E. will pick in the paranthesised spots
    Round 724th (or 23rd*)
    *N.E. has Philadelphia's 7th Round Selection (N.E.-Greg Smith to Philly trade), As Philly and Green Bay Both have the same records @ 11-5, and as both were eliminated from the playoffs after the first game, Therefore IF GB picks before Philly in rd 1 the rotation will have GB back to picking before N.E. (Philly) for rd 7/IF Philly picks before GB in rd 1 the rotation will have N.E. (Philly) back to picking before GB for rd 7

~Sorry for the math-session ALL, but some of us love Draft over 3 pages of math... 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Rd 1-Jerry Hughes OLB TCU
    Rd 2-Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma
    Rd 2-Kyle Calloway OT Iowa
    Rd 2-Toby Gerhart HB Stanford
    Rd 4-Matt Tennant C/OG Boston College
    Rd 6-WR
    Rd 7-Best Available

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Help keep this post alive!!!  Using Wizards format.

QB – No changes here. 

RB – Keep Maroney and Faulk.  Taylor is signed for another year.  Draft one RB and one for next year when Taylor is put out to pasture.

WR – I think we can go with FAs here.  Two should be needed.  A healthy Tate will help.

TE – We need one.  To answer LowFBIQ it’s because they are needed to help the OL.  If the OL were better you would see more involvement of the TEs in pass plays.  But historically you are probably more right as the Pats do look at blocking skills first for TEs.

OL – Big shake ups here.  Let Light and Neal go.  LT-Vollmer, LG-Mankins(resign) C-Koppen, RG-FA or draft RT-FA or draft.  The right side needs a complete overhaul.  Maybe move Kaczur to RG?...and then only have the RT to worry about.

DL – Need to re-up Wilfork.  You don’t get that kind of quality just anywhere.

Pryor was a nice find.  Not a big need but probably can be looked at next year.  Who knows, maybe we might find another Pryor!

LB – ILB need to react.  It could be because of youth in the position Mayo and Guyton.  It’s a nice start and with some patience we could see a happy future here.  OLB is where we’re hurtin’.  Thomas is gone.  Do we re-sign Burgess?  I don’t have a clue here.  One thing for sure we do need an outside rushing force.

CB – I would like to see Bodden signed.  He belongs.  With the youth we have at this spot we don’t need to go shopping.  Future looks good here to me if Bodden is signed.

S – We’re set here as well.

So after going through the list the needs draft day are

RB, OG, OT, TE, WR, OLB

With four top picks in a deep draft we could knock out some pretty big holes.  Using Lazarus’ positions.

With the 22nd pick – Hughes, OLB, TCU.  Sergio Kindle has off field issues and is considered a high maintenance type of player.  High risk, high reward type of player.  He would have to come up with some pretty big explanations to recover.  Hughes might go higher but with the underclassmen declaring for the draft I hope he’s there.

~44 – Selvish Capers, OT, WV

~48 – McCluster, RB, OleMiss

~53 – Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama.  Listed as T but will probably play guard in the NFL.

No TEs.  The only way I see us getting one is if we go with Gresham with the 1st pick.  Then maybe try for Eric Norwood, OLB, SCar with the next pick for the pass rush.  But I would make the move for Hughes for sure.

What do you guys think? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I know we need a good OLB that can rush, that is a must but isn't everyone else concerned of how inconsistent those guys were stopping runners with speed?  Guys who could come around the edge.
    I know a rushing LB is a must but is there such a guy in the draft that is as good on stopping the run?  Should we also look at MLB or trust McKenzie will be back from injury and be able step in to contribute.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I think it was just one of those days.  The Pats have always been pretty good at stopping the run.  It just wasn't there yesterday for whatever reason.

Four turnovers ain't going to win you many football games either. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Gresham and Norwood would be two very solid selections IMO. 

I have this feeling that NE won't go that direction. But Gresham needs to clear some medical hurdles before I (or any NFL people) check him off as a first rounder.

One thing is clear, 6'6" 260 is a load to deal with in the open field. 

Personally, most people grade Hughes out into the second round, but like Chung last season, I feel I can grade that kid higher because of his intangibles and motor. The bargain hunter in me thinks he could be had for a mid-second rounder because of his size/speed metrics. 

I think he could be a perfect fit here. He is one of those players who I think could be a better pro than college player because of his mentality.  Anyone who watched him crucify BYU earlier this season knows that if you keep him at the strongside other teams would be forced to add extra protection because I think he can beat most RTs at the pro level. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The reason why I brought up that scenario is because the love Bill has for TEs of this caliber.  I think Gresham will put through the ringer on the medical thing.  He got a lot to go through.

Unlike you I see Hughes going up in the draft.  He has that high end motor, the never quit thing that a pass rusher needs to be effective.  I would like your opinion on what I had to say about Sergio who people say folks would definately have to plan when playing against him.  High maintance warning label though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I see Hughes rising up,for sure. But I hope NE can snag him away lower, that was what I was expressing. 

After his career (and some freakish plays he has made) I can't see him going to much lower than the low first.  

I had Kindle tagged out as a potential guy two seasons ago because he is a rare standing player in college -- he played OLB but they rushed him like a DE a lot. 

My concern is that he a.) played with so many leads that is puffs up his numbers and b.) looks a little thin in the build for what NE is looking for. That said, he is high in the ranking for sure. 

I don't worry about maintenance issues as much as some other people do. It would take immaturity on the field to make me downgrade a player.

At first blush I would take Hughes over Kindle based purely on his "look" on the field. 

As with most seasons I wish NE had two first rounders, because a player like Hughes and a player like Dunlap could make some waves in NE as a four man front in Nickel, or part of a five man 34 front with TBC.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

How does Brandon Graham stack up against Hughes? He seems like he might be a more solid tackler and edge setter, while still providing pass rush and ferocity.

Is he going to be less mobile in coverage?

He might be the safer bet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

As a Wisconsin Alum and watching Garrett Graham he reminded me a lot of Owen Daniels. Good hands can block, not flashy but can run some good routes. Maybe they can pick him up in the 3rd or 4th round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Great thread, ZB. I still like Dwyer in the 2nd with some linemen later. Did the Pats draft WIlfork 22nd overall ? If Fork is not signed I don't feel comfortable with Brace or Pryor or Wright or whoever manning the nose. It's not like the Pats have Ted Washington on speed dial at this point. My uncle teaches at Tech and says the kid is beast. Again nearly everyone watches more college ball than me, however I will watch the Senior Bowl. Anyone I should keep an eye on besides Suh (that's not going to happen).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Have posted on thread re Brandon Merriweather and his tackling technique where he throws his arms at players or hits and bounces off people. Did he tackle like this in College?......he was a high draft pick. Thought both Merriweather and Chung were going to be better.

Have noticed a lot of players miss tackles and just throw their arms out and get run through or bounce off them. A number were made to look really bad yesterday as they have in other games. Surely the skill and technique is not hard to produce for top players. Embarrassing.

Any player the Pats look at in draft or free agency for defence must be able to tackle number ONE. Junior Seau at forty years old showed the way. Ask LaRon McLain.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Sydneypat - tackling itself has become terrible around the NFL although some teams are much better than others. The Pats are one of those teams that needs to improve on there tackling. Too much arm tackles and not wrapping up the ball carrier. Everyone wants to make the big play, jar the ball loose. What they need to teach these kids is how to tackle and not worry about the ball that is what the 2nd and 3rd defenders who gets there job is. If you watch a lot of football from Youtube even 20 years ago you'll see much better tackling then you do today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

I'm a bit wary of Jerry Hughes. Sure he can get to the quarterback, but is that going to translate in the NFL? I've found that Hughes relies mainly on his quickness to get around the edge. When he runs by the tackle, he's great. When he doesn't, I haven't found him to be paticularly impressive in his moves to get off of blocks. I don't think that he will be able to rely upon his quickness around the edge in the NFL. Then again, I don't know how he'll translate. Aside from cornerback, edge rusher is one of the toughest positions to predict from college to the NFL. One can only speculate.

I love the idea of Gresham in round two, though. Some people have forgotten just how huge he was on Oklahoma's offense a few years ago. In my opinion, Gresham was the key player in helping Sam Bradford towards the Hiesman in 2008.

Like I said earlier, I think the Pats are better off looking at a DE in the first round, as Jarvis Green scares nobody. In the later rounds, I'm all for looking at an edge rusher, but I think the need to fill Seymour's spot with someone other than a career backup will be at the top of Belichick's mind in April.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Tackling hasn't gotten so much worse as the athletes have gotten better. Bigger/faster RBs and Wrs puts more advantage to the offense in the open field.

FCS, Morris ran over Ed Reed and was run down from behind by Ray Lew in that game on the one play where NE actually created a hole. If that were Ray Rice instead of a career backup, Ray Lewis wouldn't have been able to get there, and he would have run until a cornerback chased him from behind and dragged him down by his ankles or nudged him out of bounds. 

The onus is on the DL to stop large holes, because isolated one on one at the second level, any RB that is any good will run past even the best defender over half the time. That is the only way to really limit the kind of athletes we are seeing at RB these days. 

NE missed Seymour in that game, as most of the runs were right at the spot he used to fill. Here is to hoping that Pryor can develop into a better run stopper, or NE can fix that side of the line, because neither Wright nor Green is an accomplished run stopper, and Wilfork is good, but not as *dominant* as a lot of people seem to make him out to be. 

Anyone that doesn't know this never played football and isn't watching it enough now.

As far as Safety goes, I am willing to bet that Ne and almost any other team would be glad to have Brandon on the roster. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Dexter McCluster.  Pats need a Home Run threat.  He's the Sproles of this draft.
    2009 Draft produced around 11 WR that contributed around the league, need to hit on a guy in this draft or hope Tate isn't damaged goods.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

TE from Florida Hernandez is impressive one dimensional pass catcher, also ILB Spikes from Florida.  BB still has the connection with Meyer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Sorry ZBELL, but your talking out of your azz! Suh wouldnt have done anything to change the game yesterday, really. So you dismiss a guy that can be a very good at the 5 tech and point out how much we missed Sey yesterday. And say we dont have a problem wrapping up, are you kidding me? Wrapping up is a huge problem on this team and losing Sey has killed us this year. Maybe you like hearing how great your post are, but sorry your not that insightful buddy. In fact you sound dumb saying a Sey or Suh wouldnt have made a big diff in yesterdays game, than pointing out, as everyone saw Rice run at Sey's side.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

And tackling hasnt got worse, just players getting better, thats garbage.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Sorry not trying to be a richard, but tackling, which is a big issue on this team and a guy like Sey makes all the difference in the world for us. Backs have consistently got the edge and run through weak tackling all year long. Which goes to another point of mine that we really need another ilb that can be "the man" of the D.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I don't recall anybody saying Wilfork is dominant.  Is the reasoning because the Pats might not find him as important as he thinks he is?  Just some clarification here because it seems you were implying what could happen with the Wilfork scenario.

Bingo on Merriweather.  More than a few are calling Chung a bust.  Just mint.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

McClain/Mayo for 2010
    That's a winning ticket

You draft McClain and you sign Julius Peppers to do his best DeMarcus Ware impersonation.

Then your linebackers are Peppers/Mayo/McClain/somebody

Then you focus on finding a DUAL THREAT RUNNING BACK - they need someone who can help in the running and the passing game.  Faulk can't run between the tackles, and he's the only RB who can catch and the best at blitz pick-up.

A dual-threat tight end wouldn't hurt either - one who can catch.  Did anyone watch the Arizona/Green Bay game and NOT envy them for having 4-5 viable receiving options (Jennings, Driver, Jones, Donald Lee, and that beast Jermichael Finley???) ???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Im all for McClain, Ive been touting him for a while. Mayo mosdef need help, people get on about a pass rush, hey Ive been sayingthat the last 2 years, but drafting olb is risky and spikes or mcclain seem to be far more of sure things.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Here's a partial list of the underclassmen to declare so far, along with short write ups:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12696276/prepare-for-overload-of-underclassmen-in-upcoming-draft

We could use somebody like this:

Maurkice Pouncey
    , OL, Florida, 6-5, 310, N/A/, late first/early second round

Don't let coach Urban Meyer's spread offense fool you: Pouncey is not a finesse lineman. The All-American and 2009 Rimington Trophy winner is tough, strong and athletic enough to start at guard or center in any NFL system. Known to play through the whistle, the 6-5, 310-pound junior started at right guard in his true freshman season and never looked back. As for his character, Meyer stated Pouncey "has been like a son to me."

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Yea when you look at this team and when they played their worst its the o-line. You can say the same for alot of other teams as well, but not nearly dramatic as the problems this o-line gives us. There has been a huge trend of getting pressure up the middle of late and that trend has hit us hard. With more and more teams looking for the next Williams or Haynesworth, pressure from the edge isnt our only problem. Everyone is screaming about a pass rush, hey Im all for it, but this might be the most important offseason in 20 years for the Pats. Missing on a first rounder cant happen, this team needs a stud who can come in from day one and go. I like Kindle, Hughes, and Wooten, but dont see any of them as the next dom. pass rusher. Maybe take a shot with our second 2 , but I see ilb as much of a need as anything. An theres a guy on here ZBELL, who thinks all we need is a pass rush and our D will be fine. I guess he sits down when he pees because Ive been trying to ask him about such a dumb statment. Like most hes afraid to debate the issues that surround this team. Thats one of the reasons were all one here, but to many on here say ignorant and dumb things without being challenged.

Sections
Shortcuts