2010 NFL Draft Thread #1

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

Re: 2010 NFL Draft Thread #1

Like I said earlier, the only two positions that I can see Belichick addressing in round one are OL and DE, with the latter (in my opinion) as the more likely. I doubt that Belichick will bite on an OLB in the first round because, quite simply, there is nobody at that position that fits Belichick's scheme that would warrant a first round selection. I personally see Belichick taking either a large DE like Corey Wooton or perhaps even a DT like Jared Odrick from Penn State to fill in the right DE spot vacated by Seymour.

How the Pats attack the O-Line situation will depend greatly upon that status of Matt Light on draft day. If he signs with the Pats again, Belichick will likely look at OG first before addressing OT. If Light's status is in limbo, that opens up a whole new can of worms.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Let the Youtube Highlight clips begin. 

TE from Iowa Tony Moeaki  The Tongan Superman had a big Orangebowl, 2nd Team All American.  Looks like he can catch and get open as opposed to Ben Watson.  Pats haven't had a good Pacific Islander since Mosi Taputu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE4hMX5X4iA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

why waist the pick on a TE in round on or two when we can trade up and get two WR in the first round and have Vollmer Light and Kazur in the game with Vollmer declaring as a pass option

For example if Dez Bryant falls and we can get him at 22 and trade back into the first for Damian Williams...

the DE/OLB's are sliding in this draft due to past bust like Gholston

We could still get a quality RB like toby Geirhart in the 2 nd and a TE in the 4th

we have depth at both lines we need weapons

by dumping Taylor, Springs and Thomas we pick up some cash

Trade Maroney and sign a free agent CB while retaining Bodden

Seau came in for Guyton so clearly Guyton was the issue not Mayo

all i am saying is the answer to success in 2010 is offensive weapons and OC scheme... we need to utilize Edleman in the slot with rank flank out wide as usual but my feeling is a threat like Bryant/William and Brandon Tate will help Moss shine again

i would really like to seal how McKenzie and Crabel do before we invest another pick on a line backer

the pass rush needs to come from another source... posibly Aron Kampman of Greenbay?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

ZBellino and others, after watching the 2-3 games that Brace got pushed around in, what do you think his problem is?  Do you think its a matter of getting stronger or its a technique thing?

Reason why I'm asking is if its strengh, then that can be fixed with an offseason strength program or technique he can learn. Assuming his problem is fixable, then that makes for an interesting potential front 3: 
                 Warren-Brace-Wilfork.

That would leave the Pats looking for these priorities:
    Defense: OLB / ILB (FA Corner -need experience back there while Butler develops)
    Offense: WR / RT /  RB  (Kaczur looks like he can move to RG)

Just trying to be realistic about the number of Draft picks. They cant exactly going to draft a whole new team :-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Can someone please tell me why they are on ZBELLS tip? Im sorry but this guy is talking out of both sides, on one hand saying having Sey wouldnt have helped or changed much last game or this year. And then pointing out as we all saw that Rice was consistently running to what  would have been his side. And teams did that all year. On another post he said that if we had a pass rush our D would be fine and then on another saying if we had one it wouldnt had made a differnce last game. Garbage, 100% pur garbage, only reason Im harping is because he runs when challenged, I tried to ask him and was nice about it, but he left or was hiding when I did. Pass rush isnt our only need at all and if you think so your either not watching or your an idiot. Our ilb play was putrid this year, Mayo was beat on the edge and maybe most concerning up the middle as well. A 34 end is a huge need on this team and safety as well. We could improve at FS and SS, as Merriweather had problems tackling, and was taking terrible angles all year long to run and get after guys. McGowen did a decent job, but if a guy like Thomas is there on draft day for us, that would be a huge upgrade. Hey I tried to be nice and have a lil' friendly debate, thats one of the reasons were on here you know, but your either scared or afraid the dumbest of the stupid will stop slurping you!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Geoff I dont like Vince at the 5 technique, I think hes just a natural nt or dt, I love the 34 D, but I really think the Pats should at least ponder going back to the 43. We, at least right now dont have the atheletes for the two gap scheme. I think we should seriously consider it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Who knows the truth about Brace?  I suspect it has to do with the pro game so Brace has to get stronger and get pro scemes down.  Wilfork went through the same thing but I don't believe it was this bad. 

I believe the priority will be pass rush and two LBs will be there that can do the job.  Kindle and Hughes.  It is important to re-sign Bodden and Wilfork.  I think that that is all that can be done defensively.

Offensively WRs can be gotten by FA.  RT&RG are needed.  Gone are Light and Neal.  Kaczur turned into a guard?  I don't know.  Must re-sign Mankins.  The right side will be pretty young.  The Pats have never gone after a big OL FA so I don't think they start doing it now.  They may surprise.  RB in the first 4 picks is needed in my opinion.  You have Maroney, Faulk and Taylor. 

If we hit on these things the Pats should do quite well. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

If we are worried now, have a look at our draw for next season.

Pats line up against most of the best quarterbacks in the NFL who throw a better percentage of plays.

Thus it is more imperative to improve our pass rush and overall defence through draft or free agency or suffer the consequences.

Get some skilled players who can tackle and hav heart.

Embarrassing when Baltimore's Trevor Pryce says Junior Seau was our best defensive player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Replacing Seymour is a must. 

Teams ran effectively against the three man line this season, for the first time in a decade. That speaks volumes about what he means to this team.

Now perhaps Pryor can pick it up at end. But we know this after a full try out . . . Mike Wright is a backup 3rd down package player, and not a meat and potatoes kind of DE. Jarvis Green was always a 3rd down package player, and the young Pryor right now can still be run at.

I think in one of the other threads someone mentioned Marcus Spears as a potential alternative, and this would likely be better than grabbing a low first round DE who would have a ceiling about as high as a Marcus Spears type player.

Then maybe come back next season and try and use that high first from Oakland to draft the elite game changer that can replace Seymour.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I mentioned Marcus in my Upgrading DL through FA.  He would be a stud pairing him with VW.  He's a veteran that would bring a burst of energy to that line, I would say pay that man bring him in!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It shouldn't be outlandish to get him in here, because like Johnny Jolly and Chris Canty (last season) he is one of a number of DE guys on the market who is a good run stopper and adequate at best pass rusher. 

Finding a 34 end who does both will be almost impossible without a top five-ten selection in any draft. He would also insure them against the future loss of Warren as he is a very similar player -- although a couple years younger. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

With all this talk about veteran leadership missing on the D, thinking the D might see more FA action with the O getting more upgrades through the draft. Just as long as there are FA leaders on D out there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Problem is ....according to Albert Breer....is that there isn't much on the FA front defensively, due to the uncapped year situation.  Time will tell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Great Thread....ZBellino said this earlier in this thread....that the Pat's need to change the philosophy a bit.  Much of that was a result of the core being in place then drafting around that core.  They would identify some needs, but more importantly 12-15 they were interested in and then draft at their perceived value, which for the most part resulted in the Pat's trading down until it was time for them to pick them.   

Now that the core has been weakened due to age, retirement and lack of develpment, the Pat's do indeed need to bit the bullet a bit and draft someone who they feel can step in right away as opposed to whom they feel will develop into someone who can step in down the road.  ZBellino said they have a collection guys who are good but not great.  I agree.  Parcells years ago alluded to this by infering that a team made up of 4th rounders will be just that. 

That said, I agree on the OL, Vollmer was nice addition to an aging front.  But another one would have been nice.  They've got their projects (i.e. Ornberger, Connelly, etc.) but how many have truly developed other than Neal?  Now he's at or certainly very near the end. 

I like Guyton.....but... not as a starter.  They also need to fix the edge.  I think Wilfork is a must.  But's let's get into that further.  Surrounding him with better talent will make him and the defense as awhole all the more improved.  Losing him, would set it back huge.  What's easier to fix??? Finding guys like him are tough.  So I'd say he is a must.  One has to wonder the reluctance to paying him.  Maybe it's perceived only.  What I mean is that once AD is gone et al they will have the $$$ to pay Vince.  I'm saying maybe it is/was a simply cash flow situation. 

Corner back.  One can only surmise they improve if the pass rush improves.  Bodden was ok.  Butler so far looks good. The experiment with the Wihite and Wheatley may be over and personally ....good .....because for wahtever reason I always had trouble identifying them.  Was Wheatlley form Colorado??? Or was he the one from Auburn?  Was he the 2nd rounder or the 4th?  Vice Versa.  Another  CB can certainly help.  To me this will be interesting as to how they approach this need. 

Safety is set for now.  I might add that even were they feel they are set they will still bring in guys to compete.

Moving to offense...again...I mentioned the OL earlier.  WR, to me must be filled by a Number 2 WR (particulary a veteran in view of the fact that Welker won't be back until 2011.  Sure there is a chance mathematically (9-10 months) that he could be back by November.  Even if they exercise the PUP, I doubt they use a roster spot for a hope and a prayer.  After that they have Edleman for the slot and Tate as a #4, Aiken as a #5/Special teamer.

RB.  Not the most pressing need. 

TE.  Would like to see something done here.  I think they obviously tried this past offseason with Smith, but Watson survived.  He's too inconsistent catching the ball.

In closing, I think they can still patch and match on offense.  But defense needs the infusion of two new core players, be it an OLB and/or CB.

It will be interesting. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

schwank I agree with most everything you have said but I would disagree with you in your final analysis of what needs to be done.  IMO the defense has talent.  It experienced some growing pains last year but we will be better off for it.  If Crable and McKenzie (two third round draft picks) can stay healthy, they could provide a huge boost to our pass rush as they were great pass rushers in college.  The Patriots need impact players and, sadly, Belichick's defensive schemes don't allow rookies (unless they are major talents like Mayo/Wilfork) to step in immediately. 

The Patriots MUST draft a star-caliber RB.  There are a lot of them in this draft and not too many teams in search of a frachise back so the Pats may be able to find good value.  Star RB CAN make an immediate impact.  Especially given the 34 year olds and Maroney are the guys he would have to replace.  TE is also an issue but above all, the Patriots must fix their running game.  A better running game with better/bigger offensive linemen will help the Pats regain their edge and help the defense stay fresh (a major problem this year) and possibly inadvertently improve the pass rush. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

italianpastamasta1.....that's a mouthful.  I don't disagree with your post.  I'd like to see what Crable and McKenzie bring when healthy.  I may be wrong, but McKenzie may be a little undersized, but he's got alot of heart from what I've read.  Crable, just don't know.  He played along with Woods, Prescott Burgess, Woodley, and Harris, but like alot of the Michigan, guys they are recruited out of high school as safeties that develope into LB's.  Can't recall on Crable, but he is very brittle.

You're right on RB,  the core is old and I don't like Maroney's style nor his inability to catch the ball.  Faulk and Sammy Morris are great out of the backfield in passing situations.  Morris is becoming brittle. 

I just think it's easier to find a RB than say and edge rusher, DL, etc. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree on drafting the impact Seymour replacement in 2011, ZB, but without  sustained pressure from the line (yeah that includes pass rush) this defense could have Dick Lane, Deion Sanders, and Revis (in the nickle) and still get shredded. I'd like a physical corner in 2nd round, however, lack of draft depth at the position is a concern (can we get Myron Rolle after he's done his Quantum Mechanics Relativity Thesis). Seriously, BB understands positional value we could see OL and DL in 1st or 2nd. Still want Dwyer though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

DL and OLB have to be 1 and 2 priority.  OL WR or RB for the offense is also important.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

tagand trade, u reall think we should put our hopes for next year on Crable and McKenzie for LB?  Are u really kidding?  I can already hear Crable breaking, pulling, or tearing something.  ANY output he has for this team is purely gravey and bonus to us.  McKenzie still has a shot IMO.
    We need young OLBs to develop.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I wouldn't be depending on Crable and McKenzie but they could be assets if they do show up. 

A pass rush would fix a lot of things on the defense.  Prior now has a year to get ready for the full time job.  Just like any college rookie you need a year to adjust to the pro game and get muscled up.  We can do with what we have for now in IMHO.

The OL looked pretty old to me.  Neal my retire or should be let go.  Light is done and Koppen has gone downhill in dramaic fashion.  Fix this thing with FAs or the draft.  Something needs to be done.

A great opportunity to pick up an RB as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Interesting thoughts on Pryor, but I still have to wonder what they are going to do long term to replace Seymour. He was a big loss as  he really was their best lineman. 

Still, the question marks about this team are still on the offensive line IMO, and on the WR corps, which are both really thin and suffering talent drain. 

A TE and a OL would fix a lot of those problems, and the issue with that is the I am not struck by an overwhelming amount of talent in this year's draft at OL. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Z might be time for #2,

I like Pryor, he showed signs of turning into a solid DL backup.  He's a bit undersized at 6'0" and he's not the calliber of a VW who is the same height but much more effective.  When OL are getting bigger and bigger, look at our own Voll 10' tall haha we need DEs that do not get lost in the pack.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

A pass rush is key as well. But like I said before, having defenders who can reliable contain the perimeter is as key. I don't think NE needs another TBC type guy who can fetch ten sacks, but can be run at. 

Yes, hopefully Pryor (or Brace) can come on strong as sophomores and help in that department, but the edge is really about OLBs, and to that effect NE needs to really look at that aspect of whatever players they screen for the position.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Pryor, Myron

That's Pryor if he plays without a helmet and lets the fro grow back he'll be 6'4"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah. And the issue is that the kind of player people want isn't really available in this draft. 

I have major questions about whether Dunlap OR Odrick or Arthur Jones are that guy. Although they all bring something to the table. 

One possibility is grabbing Terrence Cody at the bottom of the first and using him against teams like Baltimore as the nose while they shift Warren and Fork out as DEs, which would be an effective unit in those situations. It would just be a very 'minus' pass rush front three and would need to be subbed in passing situations which is tricky-- and anyone here knows I have a special distaste for package specific players. 

Sections
Shortcuts